• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
My guess for why it got cut is due to the multiplayer. Might get too confusing if you've got four players all wearing the same costume, even if everyone has their own screen. Still I wish they could have included the costumes in some way, oh well...

They could just have forced other players after the first one to get one to get random costumes if it was set to the stage. My only hope at this point is that the unrevealed game style will actually turn out to be some "NES Remix" type of thing rather than SMB2 or another Mario game, and they moved the Mystery Costumes there.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Sucks this game comes out the same weekend as the Early access for the FFXIV expansion.

Yeah that's really unfortunate... I think SMM2 will take precedence for me, though.

Surprisingly, the Direct didn't talk about this

wfqw7o3hukjq.jpg

4 different spawn speed.

It bothers me slightly that the pipes aren't sorted by speed, even if the green standard pipe was the first in line. It should be green, blue, yellow then red.

So we not gonna talk about how the NSMB Angry Sun is straight nightmare fuel.
It's consistent with the art direction of NSMB then
(insert canned laughter)

My first reaction: Oh my god it's hideous!
My second reaction: Ah well, it's NSMB so it kinda fits...

/edit: As for the SMB costumes, it would be really sad if they didn't make the cut. I need Jumpu Girl!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
The SMB one was always a P-Switch. They just changed the color. NSMBU had a ? on it instead of a P for some reason. It was weird cuz NSMBU has P-Switches.
I know that (and I said as much in my post)

I'd say that they are both equally weird, and they both got changed in the same update too (when P Warp Doors were added, which is probably the reason why they were changed, as I already said).

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
ridiculous generalization. some Sony games sell well, some Nintendo games sell well. some Nintendo games aren't successful and some Sony games are. i think it's pretty ridiculous to charge full price for a port of a game that had been recently available on its original system for less than half the price.

yawn, i thought you said you were done responding and would "drop it."

wow, cherrypicking sales figures from a small region that Nintendo dominates in order to make a facile point about the global gaming market? i would think that's below you. but we could point to UK sales charts, a region where Sony is strong, for evidence that Spider Man and other Sony exclusives have consistently remained within the charts since release.

but i actually dispute the point that a game shouldn't be discounted if it sells well. i think it's ridiculous. there are many "evergreen" titles that continue to sell well years after release but also receive heavy discounts. i think it's extraordinary that many people actually believe we should be forced to pay more and actively argue for it. they don't care about making good games accessible to people, they just want their chosen megacorp to rake in the most dollars possible to add to their already massive profits. what is the point arguing with someone like that?

Yeehhhh you are totally missing the point. It's nothing to do with people wanting Nintendo to make bank, we are just telling you the reason their major first party AAA don't get heavily discounted. You are the one who seems to believe Sony discount their games to make them "accessible" to people....i mean come on mate get real

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
During the Direct it sounded like online MP is only against randoms, and the only way to play with friends is locally? Do we know if that's the case? It's better than nothing of course (local competitive is going to be so much fun), but would be nice if you could also do it online.

To me this logic makes sense in the same way you can only play regular ranked mode with randoms in Splatoon and if you want to play in a premade team with friends you can only face against similar premade teams. A scenario where your team has 2 premades and 2 randoms and you play against a team of 4 randoms leads to unfair advantages. I'm all for no mixing, but a mode that lets you play online matches that only contain premades wouldn't hurt but I suppose few would actually care about such an option.

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully, but since shaking isn't a think anymore I wonder how we would access it.

On second thought, I hope they don't bring it back, because they would definitely lock some clothing behind an impossibly hard version.
Well the original way (when the game was simply Mario Maker without the Super) was to wait for a fly to pop up on the screen which you'd swat.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Well the original way (when the game was simply Mario Maker without the Super) was to wait for a fly to pop up on the screen which you'd swat.
They probably changed that to give people a consistent way to play it (since the fly randomly flying in could be both annoying to see during creating and annoying to find), so they would probably do the same thing here too.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Weird Shroom was an easter egg so that might be why they've not mentioned it yet.

You also had to beat the final challenge levels (based off of the E3 tournament levels) to unlock it as a tool which is likely why it wasn't in the build we've seen. Since it's a secondary option to the Super Mushroom it wouldn't need its own segment.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Have we seen the spike pillar at all? That's one of my favorite elements.

Also the NSMBU Sun is way too stylized to be just for this game. I imagine it was intended for an earlier title as a more dramatic redesign.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
What's weird about Angry Sun is that Angry Sun has a "modern" design, since it appeared in Mario Kart DS/Wii, which basically used designs similar to the NSMB series

latest

They just went ahead and made some radical new design that barely seems to fit in the NSMBU aesthetic for some reason.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
Story mode plot speculation: Undodog undid the whole damn castle! This is why Toad is seen saying "see, this is why I'm a cat person" and why the castle needs to be rebuilt.

I think that would be delightfully goofy.

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not all the options/gui were shown in the direct. You can select the difficulty before doing a endless mode challenge, but they didn't show it.

I'm sure you'll be able to play with friends online.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I totally dispute the idea that their games are uniquely evergreen and Sony and Microsoft's games aren't.

Hmm. There are non Nintendo ever greens, such as GTA and Minecraft. There are also Nintendo non evergreens , for example Zelda before botw.

That said, there are a huge number of first party games from Nintendo that are definitely ever greens in a way that's clearly different from the majority of Sony and Microsoft first party games. That's also reflected in pricing strategies. Plot the first week vs lifetime ratio of all platform holder first games and there will definitely be a difference.

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Plus, this is the perfect game for the switch mobile app. Maybe that's where you can make a room for you and your friends.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Story mode plot speculation: Undodog undid the whole damn castle! This is why Toad is seen saying "see, this is why I'm a cat person" and why the castle needs to be rebuilt.

I was totally thinking that as well. Also, because there's no rubble or anything to suggest it was actually 'destroyed' per say (i.e. by Bowser), I legit thought it was the dog. Would be cool if the case.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017

Would this canonically make Undodog the most powerful entity in the Mario universe? Aside from galaxy-rebooting Rosalina, I mean... although, what if the dog can undo her, too??

Basically, Rosalina is creation and Undodog is negation.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
they didn't show who destroyed the castle because it's actually Foreman Spike, the true final boss

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Kind of a shame with the loss of the mystery mushroom, we also lose a powerup that gives Mario armor, while keeping him at 1x1 size.

You could use beetle shells, but those have other advantages. The mystery mushroom was just a regular mushroom in power, but kept Mario as Small Mario's size

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
My wish: The final Game Style is Galaxy, and they're keeping it secret for now because they're waiting to announce it alongside Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2 HD at E3. :)

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a shame with the loss of the mystery mushroom, we also lose a powerup that gives Mario armor, while keeping him at 1x1 size.

You could use beetle shells, but those have other advantages. The mystery mushroom was just a regular mushroom in power, but kept Mario as Small Mario's size
you could also crouch which I think you really could build levels around

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
Some people on Reddit are upset at the thought of troll levels being boo'd into oblivion. Really boggles my mind how people perceive value in levels that insta-kill or harshly deceive players.

Not saying the new rating system won't be abused, but....there's people lamenting the rating system being used properly, too.

Of course, I'm also not a fan of playing or watching 'kaizo' levels to begin with (I know there's a right and wrong way to make them, it's just not my thing).

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking, user created levels are much better for competitive multiplayer Mario because it makes it impossible for anyone to memorize the stages and have an advantage. Makes the playing field more even for multiplayer

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Nintendo will eventually release a joycon with a proper d-pad. Now would be the best time.

It will not happen anytime soon if ever, and y'all need to accept this already. Nintendo wants people to always have to possibility to do 2 player on the go with the joycons. A joycon with a real d-pad would directly compromise that design intent.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Super glad it has a story mode. Was really hoping we'd see some Nintendo creations even if they might not be full fledged stages like NSMBU Deluxe.

Could very well end up being my favorite 2D Mario. Ugh. Can't wait.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super glad it has a story mode. Was really hoping we'd see some Nintendo creations even if they might not be full fledged stages like NSMBU Deluxe.

Could very well end up being my favorite 2D Mario. Ugh. Can't wait.
Why are we expecting them to not be full levels? What were the 100 Nintendo made stages on Mario make 3DS like?

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Some people on Reddit are upset at the thought of troll levels being boo'd into oblivion. Really boggles my mind how people perceive value in levels that insta-kill or harshly deceive players.

Not saying the new rating system won't be abused, but....there's people lamenting the rating system being used properly, too.

Of course, I'm also not a fan of playing or watching 'kaizo' levels to begin with (I know there's a right and wrong way to make them, it's just not my thing).
What they should do is put tags on place to indicate a super hard level only for the best of players.. That way the people that do want to experience these types of levels can seek them out and rate them accordingly.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

What system in place is this? I might be a fan of this system

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If you don't label your level as very hard, you deserve the boos.