• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that piece of artwork for the first game which showed a bunch of sprites and one of them was SMB Yoshi? Too bad nothing came out of that. The Goomba Shoe and Stiletto were probably used as fill ins.

I think DLC would have been happened if the game came out sooner in the Wii U's life. I think data for the Angry Sun was found in one of the update files.
Angry Sun was in the base game files, actually

also the big iron ball that bowser in the clown car used to throw
SMM_Big_Steely.png

part of me wonders how much of SMM2 was originally considered for SMM1 DLC before they pulled the plug because wii u.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Remember that piece of artwork for the first game which showed a bunch of sprites and one of them was SMB Yoshi? Too bad nothing came out of that. The Goomba Shoe and Stiletto were probably used as fill ins.

I think DLC would have been happened if the game came out sooner in the Wii U's life. I think data for the Angry Sun was found in one of the update files.
DLC did happen though; we got multiple post-release patches with new content.

The Angry Sun was actually a leftover from the base game (with placeholder data for SMB3, SMW and NSMBU).

Speaking of unused content, it's a shame that they didn't reimplement the extra sizes for objects that went unused:

Last edited:

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite bit of unused planned content was the costumes. There were a bunch of listings (some with sound files, even) for costumes that weren't in the base game, with all but 5 making it into the final game
GoldenRetri
MarioUs
Muncher
Tetris
WindowsLogo

and now.....they shall never be in again.............

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
My favorite bit of unused planned content was the costumes. There were a bunch of listings (some with sound files, even) for costumes that weren't in the base game, with all but 5 making it into the final game
GoldenRetri
MarioUs
Muncher
Tetris
WindowsLogo

and now.....they shall never be in again.............
Even weirder are the four unused costumes referenced in the 3DS version (where the Mystery Mushroom was cut entirely):

GoldenRetri (returning from the Wii U version), Roy and Ryu (both apparently being planned to receive costumes now that they had Smash amiibo) made sense, but then we have

RayMan? Wonder what that was about.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Even weirder are the four unused costumes referenced in the 3DS version (where the Mystery Mushroom was cut entirely):

GoldenRetri (returning from the Wii U version), Roy and Ryu (both apparently being planned to receive costumes now that they had Smash amiibo) made sense, but then we have

RayMan? Wonder what that was about.
oh huh, hadn't heard about those before. Bizarre
I wonder if Mystery Mushroom was a real late removal for that game? iirc you can technically get it to still load through glitches and it will give small mario the properties of big mario

The mystery of mystery mushroom's removal from this series deepens by the day

The007JiM

Oct 25, 2017
i remember a friend give me his wiiu's mario maker for a weekend. I was most interested in creating than playing. But i needed to unlock the tools for creating.

I hope the tools in this one will be available from start.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
That's very unlikely. You will need to complete story mode to unlock all the tools.
I mean, we don't know that for certain. Plus, the comment they made about Story Mode in the Direct ("if you're not sure how to use something, try Story Mode!") makes it sound like you do have every tool from the start (probably besides that hidden Hammer Power-Up, that could be a story unlock).

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
It does seem like you at least need to unlock the night themes but you can still use them if you place a moon in the level.

So I wouldn't be surprised if there's more to unlock.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I wonder how many unlockables the game will have

SMM kinda cheated by having a bajillion costumes to unlock, encouraging you to do tons of 100 man runs, but SMM2 won't have any such encouragement for endless mode.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
You know, after turning on my Wii U for the first time in months to play more Mario Maker, I realised how much I still want to be able to make worlds (not even a world map, just bundling stages together). Back in 2015/2016, I made a 2 worlds for a "full game" of stages, but I never uploaded them because I wanted the stages to be played together (I was kinda hoping that they would patch it in eventually, but it never happened). I wish I could come back to that idea, but without the ability to bundle stages together I don't really want to.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Welp, this looks astoundingly good. I'm one of the Switch owners who didn't have a Wii U, so I'm so happy this is happening.

One thing I'm excited about is the music, especially after NSMBU which I have on Switch. I know there will be a lot of old standbys but the new stuff in the Direct just sounded great.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
In the 3D World style, there's a course theme that resembles towers made out of colorful toy blocks. Is that the daytime airship course theme?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
You know, after turning on my Wii U for the first time in months to play more Mario Maker, I realised how much I still want to be able to make worlds (not even a world map, just bundling stages together). Back in 2015/2016, I made a 2 worlds for a "full game" of stages, but I never uploaded them because I wanted the stages to be played together (I was kinda hoping that they would patch it in eventually, but it never happened). I wish I could come back to that idea, but without the ability to bundle stages together I don't really want to.

Yeah, I'm hoping they let you create custom playlists. That just lets you add levels that are played in order.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of people saying they should make a "Paper Mario" style for the Extra Game Styles section. This doesn't even make sense because the game is so fundamentally different that there's no way it could work. I honestly don't know what people are thinking when they say stuff like th-

My god MAKE THIS HAPPEN NOW

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Replace all those charming enemy sprites with Sticker Star generic stock Mario designs

You want Clubba? lol no, you obviously want a regular Spike

What's that Cleft doing there, replace it with a Goomba, except this time it's slightly crumbled because get it? It's made of paper!

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
If they add SMB2 USA, I actually hope they use the All Stars version, just for some visual variety. Then we'd have 2 NES, 2 SNES and 2 Wii U.

I'd allow this (even if I prefer the NES style aesthetic), if for no other reason than using the 16-bit style would likely heighten the chances of "Robirdo" returning from Super Mario Advance.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These same people who want to crap on Paper Mario probably was saying how different 3D World was too before it was added. Paper Mario can work. It's a creation game. 3D World is its own separate thing for a REASON.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Oh it just occurred to me there is one specific level tool we can say is definitively left out: the recording function

The Mystery & Weird msurhooms you can argue (to varying degrees) as being hidden for now, but kind of hard to record custom sound effects when there's no mic!

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The GBA port is the first time I played SMW, so I still associate all of the powerup sound effects with "hoohoo, just what I needed" and "lucky!" every time you get a 1up

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Oh it just occurred to me there is one specific level tool we can say is definitively left out: the recording function

The Mystery & Weird msurhooms you can argue (to varying degrees) as being hidden for now, but kind of hard to record custom sound effects when there's no mic!
We couldn't even use it online anyway, so that isn't really a loss.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
imma be honest i did not know those mario voices were from super mario advance, ive only heard them in hello engine games

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018
Don't worry about the Ghost House music in 3D World. The music played in that little clip is the night version of the SMB3 theme, you can tell by the lack of instruments.

There's a lot of video clips on that JP website that use the wrong music. We can tell by SMB3 Desert's editor mode that it has a new song, but a lot of those clips give it the regular overworld music.

Similarly, there's one particular clip that has a NSMBU Airship using the Athletic theme (you can tell it's an Airship because of the hovering sounds in the background). It's also definitely not a screw up from Nintendo as there's another clip that has the Athletic theme in the actual sky stage where you can't hear the hovering sounds.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only person who thinks the local co-op on the single Switch will end up being levels made on that Switch will allow 4 player co-op instead of playing online downloaded levels?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Am I the only person who thinks the local co-op on the single Switch will end up being levels made on that Switch will allow 4 player co-op instead of playing online downloaded levels?
Why would they not allow you to play stages you downloaded? I don't see any reason to limit you, especially with a multiplayer tag existing to help people find those levels.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking that you can play with 4 players any level you downloaded from the internet or created. However, you can't use the multiplayer mode (which automatically selects levels) for couch multiplayer, you have to manually download them first.