• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
There are so many friggin possibilities for versus levels with the changing victory conditions.

It is literally what I have wished for Nintendo to do for a LONG time, competitive platforming. It is such a fantastic and simple thing that games like Runbow and Ultimate Chicken Horse have already shown to be a great concept.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Oh yeah... I have my doubts there will be single console multiplayer anyway, I don't see why they wouldn't have mentioned it if it was there.
To get people to pre-order the Limited Edition with an NSO subscription? To save a decently big reveal for E3 (I don't think the Hammer Power-Up is big enough to be newsworthy)? I dunno, but the info pointing towards single-console multiplayer (in the Direct footage and on places like the eShop/Japanese website) is enough to make me think it does exist.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We know local multiplayer for one system exists. It's on the Japanese site too. People have speculated maybe it means 4 people can create a level or its only 4 people can play a level that was created on that Switch.

I'm just being a little paranoid. In my mind I know it should be a reveal that was saved for E3 to show you can "download online courses to your Switch and do 4 players on them on the same Switch without needing 3 other Switches" and they would show 4 Treehouse members doing it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Mario Maker. Lots of new neat features in this one. But still no option to make your own world-maps and with that your own "whole" Mario game breaks my heart :( That was the number 1 feature I wanted for the first game. It also sucks that you need Nintendo Online for this one.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Someone on Reddit made a thread about alarmingly low enemy budgets. In the video with Arino Arino manages to use up the entire enemy budget at one point when making his level. He erased some stuff in a jump cut cuz he had more budget when he continued working on it. The reddit user counted 40 enemies in the level, but they must have not counted some things that count towards that budget:

48OgSnU.jpg

This map contains:
  • Sublevel 1: 75 enemy objects
  • Sublevel 2: 75 enemy objects (79) if swinging claws use the enemy budget, which they should
So it's probably a safe assumption that the enemy limit unfortunately is still at 100.

Enemy budget includes all enemies except Bowser/Jr, trampolines, p-switches, pow blocks, grinders, bouncepads, firebars, one-way walls, on/off switches, etc

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The problem with Paper Mario is that they are Intelligent Systems games. Of course EAD would have no problem getting assets, code and everything else from them, but it would probably be a headache that they would rather ignore.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any news about the purple fish that chases you? I really felt like MM1 needed it.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
To get people to pre-order the Limited Edition with an NSO subscription? To save a decently big reveal for E3 (I don't think the Hammer Power-Up is big enough to be newsworthy)? I dunno, but the info pointing towards single-console multiplayer (in the Direct footage and on places like the eShop/Japanese website) is enough to make me think it does exist.
Yeah I guess it's likely, it just feels like an extra complication to have to design multiplayer levels with separate screen and single screen play in mind.
*edit*
For example, imagine a level with a choice of routes, one long and easy, the other hard but quick, and the hard route has an on/off switch at the end that plunges everyone on the easy route to their doom. That would be great if everyone has their own screen, but rubbish if you all have to stay together.
I do wonder if trying to earn stars from people playing in multiplayer is going to skew level design towards more traditional levels where you can have a good race, rather than more interesting levels that use unusual mechanics or have puzzles. I guess it depends how popular the vs mode ends up being.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really wished this game had a clipboard to where you can copy and cut specific parts of your level and paste it into a clipboard.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I see a lot of people saying they should make a "Paper Mario" style for the Extra Game Styles section. This doesn't even make sense because the game is so fundamentally different that there's no way it could work. I honestly don't know what people are thinking when they say stuff like th-

My god MAKE THIS HAPPEN NOW

Life has no meaning if this doesn't come to pass.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
That Paper Mario image looks good, but I can't see it. IntSys is likely too busy with Three Houses and whatever the WarioWare/Paper Mario team is doing. They even brought in Koei to help with Fire Emblem.

Also there was some insight from the First Party thread that part of the 3D Mario team in Tokyo will start working with the 2D Mario group in Kyoto, which is probably how 3D World got into this game.

I'm betting it's either SMB2 or Odyssey. I don't know how the latter would work but it's got most of the Mario Maker 2 styles already covered. The only one I can't think of is a Ghost House.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to make a Multiplayer versus level which eliminates a player as they go room by room. So in the end it's like last man standing after they went through multiple rooms.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Friend Codes (Easy Allies) is hoping the new game type is Yoshi's Island or Paper Mario. They talked about Galaxy too, but I don't think Nintendo would go for Galaxy.

Oct 26, 2017
Do people think it's going to launch with extra themes? I expect that section to be something that expands post launch, with 3D World being kind of a proof of concept.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do people think it's going to launch with extra themes? I expect that section to be something that expands post launch, with 3D World being kind of a proof of concept.
I'm not sure tbh. I could see Nintendo saved it for an E3 reveal, but I could see them releasing a new game as DLC to keep the game fresh down the road.

Right now I'm leaning to it being DLC.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think it'll launch with what's already known, with 1 or 2 themes being added post launch, again being their own thing and incompatible with the original 4. i'm not sure if they'll be free updates or paid dlc tho, i think the right move is free.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
That extra space looks way too obvious for it to be DLC, unless it's added soon after launch.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you put a gun to my head and asked me what game will go in the space next to 3D World I would say it's Super Mario Bros. 2.

Still hoping there's a playable Peach.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
The more I thought of it I would absolutely love Yoshi's Island. The style, the gameplay, bosses, etc is so different from your regular 2D Mario games. Plus I think it has the best artstyle of any of them.

One thing though...please no crying Mario.

I said it before in this thread, but I would go apeshit for some new Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy type of levels.

Deleted member 32804

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
What are the chances of a Mario 64 style? With all the mods out there of 64 it would be amazing to have it in some official capacity (3D World style of course).

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy could be really cool if they go all out and give us 2D planetoids with their own gravity and all that. But I kinda doubt it.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I hope they will reveal a new style at E3. It was actually a good idea to make some unique themes since now we have a lot of possibilities. No Paper Mario please, stick to the platformers for now...SMB2/USA, Land or Odyssey would be great.
The dream would be a unique Yoshi Kotabe style but it's very unlikely since there is no specific mechanics attached to that, I don't think Nintendo would create a brand new style with brand new mechanics just for Maker.

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Speculation:
At E3/Treehouse, this is what's gonna get revealed:
-New power ups for each mode (Hammer 3DW, Squirrrel Suit NSMBU)
-New enemies/bosses for all styles
-No New Game styles and/or themes
-Smartphone app/Bookmarks for SMM2
-Local Multiplayer
-Online with Friends

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
The section for extra styles is just too weird looking with 1 theme in it so my guess is there will be a Mario 2 theme at launch and 1-2 more released for free in the following year. I can't see how they would add Galaxy or Yoshi - the amount of work for both seems like it would be a bit too much

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
The section for extra styles is just too weird looking with 1 theme in it so my guess is there will be a Mario 2 theme at launch and 1-2 more released for free in the following year. I can't see how they would add Galaxy or Yoshi - the amount of work for both seems like it would be a bit too much

Mario 2 makes sense because 3D world has a lot of elements that don't have counterparts in other themes. So if Mario 2 made it in as a style I'd expect it to be under the same "extra style" section

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I see a lot of people saying they should make a "Paper Mario" style for the Extra Game Styles section. This doesn't even make sense because the game is so fundamentally different that there's no way it could work. I honestly don't know what people are thinking when they say stuff like th-

My god MAKE THIS HAPPEN NOW

Giving new meaning to the Hammer Power-Up...