• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
tbc does that apply to us eshop perchase, or just if you bought it off the jpn eshop?
It should apply only if you got it on the JPN eShop. Not 100% sure how it works, but even though it's a universal SKU (all language options, no region locking, marked as "purchased" on US eShop), it still runs a check to see if it's unlocked in Japan before you can play.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only a few hours left might as well go to bed

giphy.gif

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
So in levels can you force who the player is? Like could I make a level where the game makes you play as Luigi? I don't want some scumbag picking Toad in my Year of Luigi levels.

Saori

Avenger
Dec 12, 2018
Just got my copy and although I know I suck at Mario games, these do not jump levels take it to a new extreme.
IMG_20190627_071730.jpg
That's my second game over...

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
For people worried about tech, remember that all the early Kaizo levels are cheese fests now. I honestly don't mind that old tech is gone. Not only will new tech come from new items, but there's likely new tech with old items.

I just hope they patch in the ability to take downloaded levels into the editor.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Kaizo streamers during the SMM2 reveal direct: Oh man, they didn't add a Kaizo search tag. Bummer!
Kaizo streamers when they find out that there's no Kaizo tag because Nintendo did everything they can to eliminate Kaizo levels entirely: Wait... what??

I think it's a weird choice to remove all these crazy item interactions. They are basically shitting on an entire community that was one of the main reasons why SMM1 was as successful as it was and is still relevant to many people these days.
I'm not a Kaizo player but I got into the community a few months ago and even dabbled in some beginner Kaizo rom hacks. I was holding off until SMM2 to really get into it.
We'll have to see how this plays out. The Kaizo creator community is super creative. I'm sure they'll find cool new concepts to apply to SMM2, especially with the new tools we got.
On one hand I'm glad that some of the more crazy tricks are no longer possible because that gives me a chance to actively participate at my skill level since the early Kaizo levels will have to be more traditionally hard.
On the other hand it makes all the crazy things from SMM1 impossible which is a pretty big loss.

Also worth a watch if anyone missed it

Man I've just realized that this genius directed some of my all time favorite games. What a legend.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I really hope some of the new objects and tools will bust the game open and introduce new depth as in Mario Maker 1. It's a bit discouraging to see a lot of the super neat interactions removed in this second game.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So does the story mode actually have boss battles or just objective based to collect coins?
I haven't played the game yet, but since it sounds like story mode is designed to show off the game's features, I'm 99% positive there will be boss battles (they gotta show off Meowser, right?). That said, hopefully someone who already have access to the game can confirm :P

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm intrigued by the poison mushroom that jumps and follows you around. The madness that can come from that, lol.

Also, what was the podoboo trick in SMM1?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope they patch in the ability to take downloaded levels into the editor.

I think I'd like it to be a configurable choice by the level designer:
  • No one can edit it
  • Only the World Record Holder can edit it (Incentive!)
  • Only Level Completers can edit it
  • Everyone can edit it

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Super Mario Maker 2 |OT| Vanilla levels only!
Super Mario Maker 2 |OT| No Kaizo allowed!
Super Mario Maker 2 |OT| Yoshi is a tool, not a jewel

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
So I saw Story Mode being live streamed and...

You unlock both power-ups in it.

The Mario Land power-up unlocks after you help a toad with a Spiny Hat to the left of Peach's Castle. He'll knock out 3 gray blocks for you, allowing you to hit 3 yellow ? blocks that were on top of them. The middle one has the Mario Land power-up. Pick it up, and it unlocks. It also unlocks a gray Mario Land outfit for your in-game Mii.

The hammer power-up, you unlock by beating Story Mode (completing Peach's Castle). It also unlocks a Builder Mario outfit for your in-game Mii.

Last edited:

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'd like it to be a configurable choice by the level designer:
  • No one can edit it
  • Only the World Record Holder can edit it (Incentive!)
  • Only Level Completers can edit it
  • Everyone can edit it

I like that a lot! I just really want to be able to see how people make creative setups, especially when it comes to obscure tech / glitches.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Not a surprise, but does anyone that the actual transcript of the interview? I'm curious about the wording here.
I transcribed it

The Super Mario Maker™ 2 game releases on June 28th, and soon players around the globe will be able to start playing and creating courses.

We were able to sit down with Mr. Takashi Tezuka, Producer of Super Mario Maker 2, to talk about the new game. Alongside Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto, Mr. Tezuka has been a key Super Mario game developer since the original Super Mario Bros.™ game.

1) When did discussions about making Super Mario Maker 2 begin? What did the team specifically want to accomplish with this sequel?

Mr. Tezuka: I don't remember exactly when our discussions about making a sequel began, but our development of Super Mario Maker 2, or at least our preparation for development, continued in parallel with the development of the Nintendo Switch™ hardware. We knew from an early stage that we wanted to make a sequel, and that the theme would be to try and do more than what we did with the first game. For us, those new ideas took the form of creating new game styles, new course parts and items to use in course making, and new modes for the "playing side" as well, such as Story Mode.

2) Course creation can be a little daunting to someone who's completely new to the game. Do you have specific tips for someone who has never made a level before?

T: There are people out there who aren't that interested in making courses, and we never want to force someone to make a course if they feel that way. But it's our aim to include things in the game that might lead them to want to make courses or point them in that direction.

For example, Story Mode has more than 100 courses for people to play, and these are fully fleshed-out Mario courses like you would find in a 2D Mario game. Within these courses, there's a feature called the Luigi Assist mode. This mode gives you a limited selection of parts that you can place in one of the Story Mode levels if you feel you've reached a difficult point and can't get past it-- you can use these parts to make the course easier for yourself. I hope this mode will encourage people to try out making courses.

Also, almost all of these Story Mode course s can be recreated using the parts and tools available in Super Mario Maker 2. So, we're hoping people will play those and find their own inspiration for making courses themselves.

3) Is there any specific course part or item that you're excited to see the community use?

T: Well, it's not actually a course part but this time we've also added something called Clear Conditions (such as needing together 100 coins or defeat a certain number of enemies). By adding a Clear Condition to a course, it increases the variety of gameplay options for that specific course.

4) One of the wackier reveals about the game was the Koopa Troopa Car. How did this end up in the game?

T: [laughs] Well, first, we wanted to give Mario some sort of vehicle to ride around in, and our inspiration for that was Bowser's car that he drove in Super Mario 3D World. We felt it would be really difficult to replicate Bowser's car in Super Mario Maker 2, so we decied on creating the Koopa Troopa Car instead.

5) Do you have any additional comments for players?

T: One thing I can say is that we really wanted to put our energy into creating an environment in which the players would be able to create their own courses. But if we created this environment and then no one uploaded their own courses, the game would just end up being a support tool.

So, it would be great if people created all sorts of wild and interesting courses-- uploading them and receiving feedback and opinions from other players. We can then follow along and think about what sort of additions we want to include in the game going forward.

I think this game will really reach its completed, "final" form with this cycle of give-and-take between the game developers on our side and the players in the community.

Also, some people may think that something like Super Mario Maker 2 is categorized as a kind of educational software [since it encourages you to make courses]. But that's not really our intention with making the game--for us, it's enough if we can give people the type of environment to enjoy the act of creation.