• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Will we need the Nintendo online service to play this?
They're giving online away free with the special edition, so I'd say that's an indication it will.

Fuck paid online fuck everyone that accepted it as the norm fuck everyone that actually cheered Sony when they announced their online paywall in 2013. As shitty as all this is, a good amount of the blame is on the gamers here.

Including myself. I didn't kick up as much of a stink as I should have with Sony. Much like many others I had the attitude of "Yeah but PS Plus is worth paying for anyway so it isn't a big deal". I fell for the trojan horse as much as everyone else, and I truly am sorry.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
They're giving online away free with the special edition, so I'd say that's an indication it will.

Fuck paid online fuck everyone that accepted it as the norm fuck everyone that actually cheered Sony when they announced their online paywall in 2013. As shitty as all this is, a good amount of the blame is on the gamers here.

Including myself. I didn't kick up as much of a stink as I should have with Sony. Much like many others I had the attitude of "Yeah but PS Plus is worth paying for anyway so it isn't a big deal". I fell for the trojan horse as much as everyone else, and I truly am sorry.

Do what I'm doing:
- Let your PS Plus sub lapse (going to two games a month without any compensation is a bad joke).
- Group up with people you trust and get a Switch online family subscription, which ends up as 6$ a year per person.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I really hope Princess Peach is properly playable in whatever form that entails in Mario Maker (beyond Amiibo costume). My wife loves her so much, I know she gets sad when we play multiplayer Mario stuff and can't go her. :(

Just literally make her (and everyone) a Mario re-skin if its about the 'physics' having to all be the same, we don't NEED her to have the 'level breaking' float, sometimes some people just wanna go the character they like the most! Nintendo piss me off sooo much in this regard. Always having a dumb ass excuse as to why they didn't do such and such when a solution was really simple.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Never played a Mario Maker game and I am not very creative when it comes to making levels etc in other games.

Will I get enjoyment and value from the game by playing any levels included as well as ones made by others?

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017
Never played a Mario Maker game and I am not very creative when it comes to making levels etc in other games.

Will I get enjoyment and value from the game by playing any levels included as well as ones made by others?

Absolutely. In the first game, although there are many many crappy stages. Stages in the normal difficulty had quite a few decent stages. Furthermore you could always play the most starred stages (per difficulty level) and go from there. And you also could simply check communities for great stages.

Deleted member 34802

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Absolutely. In the first game, although there are many many crappy stages. Stages in the normal difficulty had quite a few decent stages. Furthermore you could always play the most starred stages (per difficulty level) and go from there. And you also could simply check communities for great stages.

Man I hope they get rid of troll levels or have some kind of quality control. But I doubt they can handle it in any kind of sense. Starring levels if I remember you couldn't sort by most starred could you? Even then filtering was bad. I think if sorted by most starred you get automatic levels or levels that play music etc

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
For a game hitting in two months, we sure don't know all that much about it. Either there's going to be a blowout pretty soon, or it's going to be one of their E3 showcases.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
I'm currently enjoying the Amazon/Twitch promotion (1 year free NSO subscription) so I'm not sure to get this limited SMM2 edition. Maybe if the 1-year-subscription can be used anytime...

I want my stylus, tho.

Burbank

Sep 9, 2018
Pangea
The koopa is driving a car!

D480KVXWsAAdjBt.png:large

WTF?

Mf mario kart maker?!

Probably a version of Bowser's car from 3D World.

No shut up, its undeniably a confirmation of 3D Mario Kart as a dlc for the game.

With all sets from the entire series.

Supporting Labo VR.

With local lan multiplayer.

And hookers.

Last edited:

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you sounds good!

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well fuck me as that's when FFXIV Shadowbringers is coming out and I took off for that. Why did this have to come out at the same time

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently enjoying the Amazon/Twitch promotion (1 year free NSO subscription) so I'm not sure to get this limited SMM2 edition. Maybe if the 1-year-subscription can be used anytime...

I want my stylus, tho.
On the Japanese article it mentions the NSO code must be redeemed before October 31.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I've just discovered that in my country they will give the stylus for free with the normal edition. So I decided to pre-order it anyway, bringing back my Crash TRilogy copy which was evaluated 30€ (I bought it at 25€). Then I will decide if to keep the pre-order or move the 30€ to Astral Chain, I really hope that in May there will be a Direct or a shadow-dropped video providing details about Maker 2, it will be fundamental for my decision.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
Are you sure? That'd be nice, two free years of NSO... *hmmm*

I'll wait until further confirmation.

What a piss-poor 'limited edition' I've been dying for a decent one for a Mario game for years.

Anyway, GotY incoming! Now I have a date to have the backlog completed by, here goes...

Limited edition for SMM in Wii U was excellent... 2D Mario amiibo + mini art book.

I agree that the stylus should be included in the package not just as a "pre-order" gift. In any case, the 12-month NSO subscription fits better for "pre-order" gift, IMO.

Last edited:

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
What a piss-poor 'limited edition' I've been dying for a decent one for a Mario game for years.

Anyway, GotY incoming! Now I have a date to have the backlog completed by, here goes...

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I never played the original since I didn't have a Wii U.

If I have zero interest in making my own levels, is this still worth it as a Mario platformer with basically infinite levels? I mean is it easy enough to los user generated levels that the game is worth owning just so you can hop on and play some popular things the community has shared?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

If I have zero interest in making my own levels, is this still worth it as a Mario platformer with basically infinite levels? I mean is it easy enough to los user generated levels that the game is worth owning just so you can hop on and play some popular things the community has shared?
It is, but it depends on what you want from the levels. Even putting aside the blatantly bad levels or kaizo/pixel point accuracy ones, most levels in the first Mario Maker had some large concept theme or were puzzle or exploration levels. In spite of the Mario gameplay, they generally felt different from what you'd see in an actual Mario game. I actually enjoyed that, but other people don't.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

Yes; even if you don't create your own content, that still leaves you with a lot to play. The game will probably have built-in stages from Nintendo (hopefully more like the 3DS version than the Wii U version), but the real meat is the online and playing levels made by the community.

I just hope they improve searching this time (taking influence from Smash Ultimate's online sharing); codes being the only method of searching for stuff sucks.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I'm on a family pass for online so unless the 'free' year will add on to that (for everyone) then I'll just get the regular version+stylus.
I don't think it will (they specified that it is an individual membership) so i'm also passing on the limited edition (which also gives me better cover art, so it's all positive for me).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Hey RagnarokX , we finally have something new! Nintendo's slides from their investors meeting today had a little section of Mario Maker 2, and while most of the screenshots used come straight from the original trailer, the centre one shows two new things:
slide-14-3.jpg

Piranha Creepers have a blue alt (with their difference unclear) and we have confirmation that a Super Mushroom, Wings AND a Parachute can all stack (looking at that Goomba).

The Piranha Creeper is a bit strange, since that is how they appear when hit in 3D World; but in that game they stop moving in that state, while the SMM2 screenshot shows that they still have a path. Wonder if this is just a "it moves faster" thing.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Hey RagnarokX , we finally have something new! Nintendo's slides from their investors meeting today had a little section of Mario Maker 2, and while most of the screenshots used come straight from the original trailer, the centre one shows two new things:
slide-14-3.jpg

Piranha Creepers have a blue alt (with their difference unclear) and we have confirmation that a Super Mushroom, Wings AND a Parachute can all stack (looking at that Goomba).

The Piranha Creeper is a bit strange, since that is how they appear when hit in 3D World; but in that game they stop moving in that state, while the SMM2 screenshot shows that they still have a path. Wonder if this is just a "it moves faster" thing.
There are 2 kinds of Piranha Creeper in 3D World.
  • Purple ones that extend and contract along their path back and forth.
  • Blue ones that start out fully extended and asleep, then turn purple and contract when attacked.
Most likely both variants are in SMM2. When you place a blue one you still have to draw its path, then when you start the game it will become fully extended and asleep.

Speaking of this, I wonder if there's an option to have Piranah Creepers start fully extended or fully contracted. They only die if you hit them enough times so that they fully contract, so only having them start fully contracted could make them too easy. And you might want to offset their creeping.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
There are 2 kinds of Piranha Creeper in 3D World.
  • Purple ones that extend and contract along their path back and forth.
  • Blue ones that start out fully extended and asleep, then turn purple and contract when attacked.
Most likely both variants are in SMM2. When you place a blue one you still have to draw its path, then when you start the game it will become fully extended and asleep.

Speaking of this, I wonder if there's an option to have Piranah Creepers start fully extended or fully contracted. They only die if you hit them enough times so that they fully contract, so only having them start fully contracted could make them too easy. And you might want to offset their creeping.
Oh, I forgot that 3D World actually has a blue Piranha Creeper. Well that explains it at least (though, I think not being able to control the speed of their expansion and regeneration in some way might be missed potential).

The behaviour of the Piranha Creepers are still pretty mysterious. Wonder how much we'll be able to control their movements.

Last edited:

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For those in the UK:

Everyone's favourite UK games retailer, GAME, is selling a version of the game with the stylus and of course it is exclusive!

https://www.game.co.uk/en/super-mar...-pad-carpenters-pencil-set-and-stylus-2579724

Game is cheaper at online only retailers so weigh up how much the stylus means to you.
This is just the pencil and notepad edition that is on the Nintendo UK Store. Nothing to suggest that the stylus is GAME exclusive. It seemed clear from the NUK tweets that every preorder got the stylus regardless of where.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I forgot that 3D World actually has a blue Piranha Creeper. Well that explains it at least (though, I think not being able to control the speed of their expansion and regeneration in some way might be missed potential).

The behaviour of the Piranha Creepers are still pretty mysterious. Wonder how much we'll be able to control their movements.
Nah, the sleeping variant has a lot more utility for making levels. You can make them stationary platforms Mario has to bounce across that move away when used and then go back to place after they recover. The always moving ones could be too uncontrollable for that kind of stuff.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Nah, the sleeping variant has a lot more utility for making levels. You can make them stationary platforms Mario has to bounce across that move away when used and then go back to place after they recover. The always moving ones could be too uncontrollable for that kind of stuff.
I forget, how did the blue Piranha Creepers work in multiplayer (since it seems like SMM2 will probably have that)? I remember some 2D sections requiring Piranha Creeper bounces to get access. Did they make each player wait for it to move back into place, or did they give the creeper extra durability to let each player get across?