• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This is a great idea and really well executed, and I found it less frustrating than the original version. As soon as I saw the rotating firebar it gave me flashbacks to Turtles. Well done!

Haha I'm glad you appreciated it. I definitely didn't want to make it as frustrating as the original :p

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
Try my biggest level yet!

Mario is being chased by Bowser during a full frontal assault on king Koopa's armada of airships!

Attack on Titan Airship!
JX1-VDW-XQF

Don't have time to play it yet? Save it for later!

Bookmark this level with the option on the top right of this post! I have lots of bookmarks of levels from ERA to play!

Best and easiest way to play until Nintendo releases an official Bookmark feature.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
Hi, guys, here is my third level,
it is quite challenging but nothing kaizo, the shellmet should provide your safty.
just remember to bring TWO of them with you.

K43-3R8-D7G

Your mission is to shutdown Bowser Jr.'s suspicious project from inside,
therefore watch your steps.
there is a bit of intentional cheese for you to discover, too. :)

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished my fifth level.

Prospector's Canyon
PuQPkmJ.jpg

KVJ-LGX-5JF
Description: Find the eight pink coins in this sprawling abandoned mining colony.

I decided I wanted to do a Pink Coin level and tried to make something kind of inspired by Super Mario 64, with a big sprawling level with eight pink coins you get in no particular order. I really don't know how it'll play out for most people, I can see it taking a while for some. I'm definitely tired of designing levels like this, took way too long, going to try something more traditional next.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I wish I could've have a "prefered" mode for level I want to play, so I could have more SMW levels and almost no NSMBU stuff. :U
A detailed search feature would be appreciated in that case
Finally made my first Mario Maker 2 level. Are any of the people from the old MM community on GAF still around here?

Anyway, here it is:

Chsds7Q.png

Not too difficult of a level. Entirely vertical, inspired by some levels and ideas from my game Octahedron :)
I already see where you're going with it from the image! Will give it a play when I get home :)

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Finally made my first Mario Maker 2 level. Are any of the people from the old MM community on GAF still around here?

Anyway, here it is:

Chsds7Q.png

Not too difficult of a level. Entirely vertical, inspired by some levels and ideas from my game Octahedron :)
Holy shit, aren't you the "vertical level adventure", "hard hat" et cetera guy? The first one is a SMB3 Style level and the second one a SMB level. Can't remember the level names, but I think I do remember your level presentation image. I loved your shit in MM1. On Neogaf I was called "Dimentio" with the ingame name "Gilder". I made levels like "Overgruin Ruins" or "Sawblade Walker". Maybe you remember me.

Or maybe I am wrong. lol.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, aren't you the "vertical level adventure", "hard hat" et cetera guy? The first one is a SMB3 Style level and the second one a SMB level. Can't remember the level names, but I think I do remember your level presentation image. I loved your shit in MM1. On Neogaf I was called "Dimentio" with the ingame name "Gilder". I made levels like "Overgruin Ruins" or "Sawblade Walker". Maybe you remember me.

Wait, you made Sawblade Walker? Fuck, I remember playing that shit way back. That's wild.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Made a quick and dirty course based one of my favorites from SMW.

Butter Bridge Brigade: MKM-SFN-Q9G
Appreciate any feedback as always, give me a follow if you like my style! At this rate I'm uploading new courses about 1-3 times a week.
Three Dee Road: 7QJ-GV1-NRF
Spiny Central: TCS-FKL-WQG
Retro Road Redux: RVQ-8HS-R1G
Cheep-Cheep River Remix: GCC-H6N-4MG
Scorched Tower Ruins: 67F-421-6RF
Sand Springs: LCB-F5J-J5G
Overflow Frontier: 639-C0V-BGF
Bully Tracker: JLB-MMJ-VHG

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Anyway, here it is:

Chsds7Q.png

Great level. Really cool how the level design changes 3 times in the span of 1 sub area. Also, am I reading that correctly that you're the creator of Octahedron?

Made a quick and dirty course based one of my favorites from SMW.

Butter Bridge Brigade: MKM-SFN-Q9G
Appreciate any feedback as always, give me a follow if you like my style! At this rate I'm uploading new courses about 1-3 times a week.

Three Dee Road: 7QJ-GV1-NRF
Spiny Central: TCS-FKL-WQG
Retro Road Redux: RVQ-8HS-R1G
Cheep-Cheep River Remix: GCC-H6N-4MG
Scorched Tower Ruins: 67F-421-6RF
Sand Springs: LCB-F5J-J5G
Overflow Frontier: 639-C0V-BGF
Bully Tracker: JLB-MMJ-VHG

Fun level but am I correct in understanding you needed the cape to fly up and get those coins? Was there another way up there?

Last edited:

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I don't really like this stage, but it has some neat sprite art.

He-Man: Master of the Universe
77W-F14-DVF

Travel as He-Man astride his loyal companion Battlecat, embarking from Castle Greyskull to Snake Mountain to confront Skeletor and his lackey Beastman in a final battle!

LPrkapu.jpg

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Dang I got a pretty solid 3D World ghost house based on the cat suit as my booting up the game title screen stage, I wonder if anyone has tried passing off those nintendo template stages as their own?

Prospector's Canyon
PuQPkmJ.jpg

KVJ-LGX-5JF
Description: Find the eight pink coins in this sprawling abandoned mining colony.

I decided I wanted to do a Pink Coin level and tried to make something kind of inspired by Super Mario 64, with a big sprawling level with eight pink coins you get in no particular order. I really don't know how it'll play out for most people, I can see it taking a while for some. I'm definitely tired of designing levels like this, took way too long, going to try something more traditional next.
The sub area here feeling like it's ingrained into the existing main area is neato, I shelved my attempt at an open coin nabbing stage ala 64 style last week because it didn't feel quite right, this one however does.
And this way you can add more coins as well, this is all useful to know

To think my other shelved concept was "what if a MINE? in the SMW theme!", I don't even need those two stages anymore now I've played this!

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Ok guys so what's the consensous on which is the best way to create levels in here? I see some people saying that creating levels entirely with the controllers is just as fine as using the touchscreen with a stylus. And that would be ideal since I really don't want to spend extra cash on a damn stylus and screen protector.

jarosh

Nov 30, 2017

Yes, that was me :) You mean these, I'm sure: https://imgur.com/a/DDq0URY

And omg, you're Dimentio? You made pretty much the best levels in MM1, but I'm sure you remember me saying that in the past! I loved all of those so much. Can you share your ID, so I can follow you?

Really enjoyed it, great design!
Thank you! :)

Great level. Really cool how the level design changes 3 times in the span of 1 sub area. Also, am I reading that correctly that you're the creator of Octahedron?
Thanks! And yes, I made Octahedron. Apparently I have a thing for vertical level design :P

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Fun level but am I correct in understanding you needed the cape to fly up and get those coins? Was there another way up there?
Correct, you need Cape Mario to get the coins in the sky, if you fail to "upgrade" one of the two Super Mushrooms in one of the two ? blocks on the main course, you can grab a repeatable feather dropping from the pipe in the sub-area, which also has a few more coins. There are well over 200 coins in the course, so either the sky or the sub-area will put you over the top. Thanks for playing it!

Prospector's Canyon
PuQPkmJ.jpg

KVJ-LGX-5JF

Great level! Right balance of difficulty and making use of a few course parts to make a cohesive theme. One of the better red coin hunts I've played.

Anyway, here it is:

Chsds7Q.png

I was IceMarker way back on the old site, and fantastic level by the way! Your thumbnail here implies it's a Light World/ Dark World concept, but I was delightfully surprised by what it really turned out to be!

Ok guys so what's the consensous on which is the best way to create levels in here? I see some people saying that creating levels entirely with the controllers is just as fine as using the touchscreen with a stylus. And that would be ideal since I really don't want to spend extra cash on a damn stylus and screen protector.
I flip-flop between the two, I'm definitely a lot better at making levels with just the buttons now than I was a week ago.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Hi, guys, here is my third level,
it is quite challenging but nothing kaizo, the shellmet should provide your safty.
just remember to bring TWO of them with you.

K43-3R8-D7G

Your mission is to shutdown Bowser Jr.'s suspicious project from inside,
therefore watch your steps.
there is a bit of intentional cheese for you to discover, too. :)

The level is well designed but in the second sub area, I think that climb goes on way too long without a checkpoint. It has so many moments for easy death I think a check point would have been appreciated sooner.

Thanks! And yes, I made Octahedron. Apparently I have a thing for vertical level design :P

Wow, explains the superb level design.

I was still Gotdatmoney back on the old forum. I didn't get any real notoriety as a maker but I did have a few levels that did alright. Had 7 courses break 100 stars which was pretty nifty.

feelingkettle

Nov 5, 2017
Hi everyone, my 4th level. I made a bullet hell/shmup level. I think it's pretty good. Hoping to do more in a series of these. Let me know what you think if you play it!

D_SudreUEAAMTRp.jpg:large

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I posted this late last night so I am reposting to get some more feedback. Lemme know what yall think.

Name: Into The Storm
Course ID: Y63-2BD-JXG

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Yes, that was me :) You mean these, I'm sure: https://imgur.com/a/DDq0URY

And omg, you're Dimentio? You made pretty much the best levels in MM1, but I'm sure you remember me saying that in the past! I loved all of those so much. Can you share your ID, so I can follow you?
Yeah, exactly. Man, I'm glad you returned to Super Mario Maker 2. I'll gladly follow you too. Thank you very much.
Here is my ID: 485-X4Q-KXG

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
That feeling when your super pandering level that you thought was garbage has a higher like/play ratio than all the levels you spent a ton of time on.

zknD0b9.png

solarhorse

Jul 4, 2019
I made a level loosely inspired by Donut Plains 2. It's a slow auto-scroll level where you're pushed into a cavern that's gradually getting narrower. Collect the red coins for a spooky extra challenge!

Name: Can you cross the threshold?
Course ID: 9NP-5GN-GLF

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

I use my finger.

I'm going to blame that on why I'm bad at making good levels.

solarhorse

Jul 4, 2019
Hi everyone, my 4th level. I made a bullet hell/shmup level. I think it's pretty good. Hoping to do more in a series of these. Let me know what you think if you play it!

Pretty intense but never overwhelming, I had a lot of fun playing this level, I maybe would've liked a checkpoint at the halfway point of the first area but I got through it well enough.

I posted this late last night so I am reposting to get some more feedback. Lemme know what yall think.

I liked that this felt like a classic Mario stage. A little on the short side though and it feels like the checkpoints are too close to each other. Good stuff nonetheless

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Fun level. One thing to note is in the second second with the fire flower, if you lose it you can't hit the piranha plants which makes the whole section significantly hard. Worth noting. I enjoyed it though.

I liked that this felt like a classic Mario stage. A little on the short side though and it feels like the checkpoints are too close to each other. Good stuff nonetheless

Thanks for the feedback. Glad it felt like a classic level since that's normally what I go for.

Building the level was weird because it felt like it went on forever when I was making it so I trimmed it down towards the back end. I just plugged a bunch of goodies in the level for those that explored it as a compromise. I see you have the speed run record at around 78s. I can do the level in 50 so I figured I had enough content in the for the random wanderer but I will consider making the base level longer in my upcoming levels.

Check point wise you're definitely right, I probably only needed one. Stuck in the second since I figured its better to be generous than stingy. Some of the problems did arise from cutting the back end short.

Thanks for playing :)

feelingkettle

Nov 5, 2017
Pretty intense but never overwhelming, I had a lot of fun playing this level, I maybe would've liked a checkpoint at the halfway point of the first area but I got through it well enough.
Fun level. One thing to note is in the second second with the fire flower, if you lose it you can't hit the piranha plants which makes the whole section significantly hard. Worth noting. I enjoyed it though.

Thanks for playing them! I didn't put checkpoints in other than the one, and instead put power ups throughout. Balancing difficulty is definitely a challenge that I'm still working with. This is the first in a series that I'm planning, so I will definitely take the feedback into account.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Thanks Hucast for playing my Celeste level!
You're welcome dude lmfao. I had the stage on for 3 days going on standby and back on. There was a part close to the end where you had to make a vine jump with a low ceiling above and spikes between. That was HARD. But I got through it. I don't give up so easily! Loved it heh

Last edited:

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I made a level loosely inspired by Donut Plains 2. It's a slow auto-scroll level where you're pushed into a cavern that's gradually getting narrower. Collect the red coins for a spooky extra challenge!

Name: Can you cross the threshold?
Course ID: 9NP-5GN-GLF
Neat idea and very fun. Does feel a lot like Donut Plains 2. I only wish you went with that idea further for the second half of the level too because it was over so quickly.

The on/off section is good too, but I feel it doesn't have enough of a connection to the first half of the level.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018

Very cool level and nice traditional plattforming including sweet sweet secrets. Played it once and then a couple of times because I wanted to get a good WR.
It may be true, that the second checkpoint kinda feels redundant, but it doesnt really matter. The casual easy Endless plebs will thank you for it. Great work.

And yeah, I created Sawblade Walker. Glad you liked it. :)

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
The sub area here feeling like it's ingrained into the existing main area is neato, I shelved my attempt at an open coin nabbing stage ala 64 style last week because it didn't feel quite right, this one however does.
And this way you can add more coins as well, this is all useful to know

To think my other shelved concept was "what if a MINE? in the SMW theme!", I don't even need those two stages anymore now I've played this!
Great level! Right balance of difficulty and making use of a few course parts to make a cohesive theme. One of the better red coin hunts I've played.
Thanks for the feedback guys, I was a little worried how it would play in other people's hands.

AlfonHR

Oct 28, 2017
Hello,

I would like feedback on one of my levels. It's the one I like most, but people vote better other levels.

So, just to have extra feedback if you wish to try it.

Three rooms.

It has three rooms with one puzzle in each of them. It's impossible to get stuck, and really difficult to die, so you can concentrate on the puzzles. The puzzles are quite easy, but I think they are fun.

085-1RD-N3G

Thanks.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
I think I've made a masterpiece then go play other people's levels and realize how creatively bankrupt I am.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Hello,

I would like feedback on one of my levels. It's the one I like most, but people vote better other levels.

So, just to have extra feedback if you wish to try it.

Three rooms.

It has three rooms with one puzzle in each of them. It's impossible to get stuck, and really difficult to die, so you can concentrate on the puzzles. The puzzles are quite easy, but I think they are fun.

085-1RD-N3G

Thanks.

This is a good puzzle level. Ticks all the boxes off for me.

No failure states
Not overly long
Puzzles lead you in the right direction

It could have been harder but hard doesn't make something good imo.

I liked it.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think I've made a masterpiece then go play other people's levels and realize how creatively bankrupt I am.

This is always one of the downsides of being a creator. There is always someone that does it better than you. The trick is to use it to do better and not get discouraged. But yeah, I feel you. I think I'm working on something awesome then I play some of the top levels... :(

BBech

Jun 20, 2019
Super Mario 64 2D
W9H-TKD-Y4G
Difficulty: 3.5/4
Style: Super Mario Bros 3
Theme: Ground
[Puzzle-Solving] [Theme]

66024255_10219837893477077_7509393263539781632_n.jpg

Using the Super Mario Bros. 3 ground style I was able to recreate a fully fleshed out Peach's castle from Mario 64. This of course, includes several miniature worlds to explore that were included on the iconic first floor of Peach's castle. It's pretty challenging, requiring you to nab a pink coin from each world, with two mini-boss fights against the Boss Thwomp and King Bomb-omb-- culminating in a classic fight with Bowser. I know I'm not the first to recreate 64 levels, but I've yet to see anyone do it like this! I'm really hoping people love this one, so let me know what you think. If it's popular I'll get started on part 2 and 3 straight away.

Funnily enough, I learned the hard way that you can't layer more than four objects at once-- as I struggled for an hour trying to upload because the game told me that the save data was corrupted. For future reference, if this happens to you drop me a PM because I researched extensively what works and what doesn't. I also found out clear pipes can corrupt your level as they can be half loaded.

Anyway, I have to say I'm proudest of this level out of any I've done in both Mario Maker 1 and 2, and I really implore you to give it a try despite the intial challenge you might be met with. I assure you there's plenty of mushrooms to keep you healthy so just keep an eye out and press on. I really, really would love feedback on this course as I'm going to be making it a three parter, something I've yet to do! Lots of love and care went into this one, as 64 is probably one of my favorite games of all time. As usual, I do hope that you guys have as much fun playing it as I did making it!

Oh, and in case you missed my other themed levels, give me a follow and check out my profile-- I try to do unique and artsy stuff with the tiles, so if you're a fan of this one you may enjoy my others as well. :)

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Just gotta make what you think is fun, and hope others find it as fun or more. :)

Typically I design for myself more than anyone else. I like to make traditional or standard Mario levels, so I typically upload and play standard Mario levels, some people like to play Kaizo levels, so they design and upload Kaizo levels, some people like only Auto Mario levels, so they make and play Auto Mario levels, etc. I still have like 5 ideas on the back-burner I'd like to take a shot at making and playing.

Why do so many Makers seem to build their levels off of "killing" Yoshis, lol?
Meme started by Mario speedrunners and Kaizo romhackers years and years ago. Plus the height you can get jumping off of Yoshi is still useful as all hell.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Very cool level and nice traditional plattforming including sweet sweet secrets. Played it once and then a couple of times because I wanted to get a good WR.
It may be true, that the second checkpoint kinda feels redundant, but it doesnt really matter. The casual easy Endless plebs will thank you for it. Great work.

And yeah, I created Sawblade Walker. Glad you liked it. :)

Thanks for the feedback

My levels are generally pretty easy but I normally try to make them more challenging to speed run so I'm hoping that adds to their replay value a bit more. Some Era member grinded out some crazy speed run time on my first level that I didn't even think was possible. So I hope at least that aspect is working out.

Your Mario Maker 1 work was superb. It makes sense why you've got it down on lock for 2. There are so many great creators here. Finding out Jarosh made Octahredron and he made all those awesome MM1 levels is wild. Who else is hiding I wonder.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I cannot figure out Matt Thorson's (Celeste creator) new level for the life of me. It's a puzzle troll level with a 0.43% clear rate. I've been stuck for an hour and just can't find what to do.