• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
On another note, is there anything more crushing than seeing a notification that someone played your stage, but then no follow up notification that they liked it? I like to think I make pretty good stages that I put a lot of effort in to to make them feel good and it's just like "What do you want from me?!"
Yeah, the general playerbase is so stingy with likes, a couple of my levels have got into the charts and once they're there a 30% like rate seems to be the best you can do. They're nice easy levels, and pretty good if Era folk are to be believed, so I don't know what they want! Even the top rated levels in the charts don't do much better for like ratio, I think a lot of people just don't use the like button.

Nov 2, 2017
Here's my second level: Escape the Piranha Creeper House

Course ID: M99-RN3-DJF

There's a bit of waiting involved in this level with the Piranha Creepers moving and it's fairly long as well, but it has two checkpoints and I tried my best to come up with many different obstacles.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Anyone want to play my 3d World level? I feel like my design skills aren't all that good so some pointers would be helpful. It's based around Crystal pipes with some puzzle elements to it.

RPB-YX1-4KF
CRYSTAL PIPE PANIC

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I'm starting to think if you want people to play your level, you need to make it easy. Theres plenty of of people that like a challenge, but there's way more levels that cater to the that crowd, even though it's probably a bit smaller than the crowd that wants normal levels. Plus normal levels can be enjoyed by experts too, but not vice versa.

My most recent level I let go and made it the difficulty I wanted to play, and I personally find it very fun to play, but I think I'll go back to making it easier for wider audiences from here on.

Yeah I totally understand a lot of people want to play hard levels - and I'm sure they are good at them.
Since I suck lol I just want some normal not too hard levels to play. Hope I can figure out a way to reliably find these levels with the search options.
This is funny but I've made 4 levels and I think 2-3 are too hard for me. It's really easy to make a VERY HARD level !!!

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
5-6 hours later and I'm dooooone! Beat maybe the hardest level I've played yet. It's too long for one twitter vid so planning to post it to YouTube a bit later. But damn, beating levels like this is the best feeling in Mario Maker.

Never dreamed I'd beat a kaizo bumper level. Before this level I was horrible at bumpers.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So how good is the story mode just by itself? Not really into user generated content.

It's a really good addition but don't buy Mario Maker 2 solely for the story mode. A lot of the levels are short and weird and they're designed to inspire you for the Maker mode. The game is still all about the user generated content.

That's not to say you have to like the Maker mode. I spent 95% of my time playing other people's courses.

ferunnico

Oct 29, 2017
ezaZP3m.png

The top 8 courses for MakerEra's first Course of the Week contest have been chosen:

Dezzy: Minecart Mayhem: Thwomp Canyon [00P-HC5-LXF]
Vitet: Forest of Wonders [17V-B2F-LRF]
HappyBivouac: Touch Buzzy; Get Fizzy [46F-S4B-R0H]
eponymous: The Bank Job [4S2-81B-XGF]
Fizzig: The last of his kind! [6H7-CQB-CDG]
GokouD: Rocket Base Galaxy [JST-3GK-2BG]
CaptainMatilder: Hacksaw Havoc [ND2-3XJ-KCG]
mclem: The Curse of the Clockmaker [X8G-KRS-TKG]

You can vote for the winner in the #course-of-the-week channel on our server until Monday, July 15th at 8 p.m. ET!

(not to be confused with the ResetEra Level Competition from this OT!)

Last edited:

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Made my second attempt at a course. FB5-V93-YXF.

67031069_10100379981865307_199745429854748672_o.jpg

Don't want to say too much about this one, because it's really about the experience you have while playing it, pretentious as that surely sounds.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Made my second attempt at a course. FB5-V93-YXF.

67031069_10100379981865307_199745429854748672_o.jpg

Don't want to say too much about this one, because it's really about the experience you have while playing it, pretentious as that surely sounds.

Such a twist on expectations! I liked it. Familiar yet tricky!

Fence Frenzy: KDF - QTT - 64G

Not that hard in all honesty. But it is fairly long. Final section is the tough part.

Cleared it! I can see why there aren't clears, though. There's just way too much being thrown at the player in the final sequence, so I had to just jump and climb, jump and climb, as I rushed my way through the section--else I would have died again and again. The second area is a bit annoying because if you lose your Cat Suit, you have to basically redo an entire section of level all over, and the platforming required is a bit too precise.

However, it was a nice, solid effort, and I can see you put a good amount of work into it!

Last edited:

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Reposting this for the USA crowd.
Land of Emerald and Azure
84W-GYK-5HG
This level is gorgeous. You really made the most of the already sublime Mario 3 aesthetic.

Such a twist on expectations! I liked it. Familiar yet tricky!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

Also, there's no way for me to keep pace with all the levels posted on this thread that I want to try. I have so many damn tabs open.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Hey everyone! Tried to recreate New Donk City. It's a relatively chill exploration based level.

New Donk City
MKP-9FN-NBG

This might be the pain and drugs from my hernia surgery talking, but the coin requirement is far too tight! I spent ages finding the three coins I missed, and when I did I killed the piranha creeper with a fire flower and couldn't get out of the pipes anymore. Jumping off it was the only way. This is with 90 seconds left, so you know I gave this my all!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I like the idea of being able to set a range the music takes effect in. There's a Ghost House in the story mode that has a musical effect play the entire time you're in the bonus room that I wish I could take a look at to see how Nintendo implemented it.

On another note, is there anything more crushing than seeing a notification that someone played your stage, but then no follow up notification that they liked it? I like to think I make pretty good stages that I put a lot of effort in to to make them feel good and it's just like "What do you want from me?!"

Essentially you need to have your music note blocks start on a track where they get hit once at the note you want it to have, since it saves the properties of that note. Have the track drop all the note blocks into a looping track where some object will constantly hit them one at a time. Bam you've got a never ending song.

This is a mm1 video, but it should still work for mm2

Last edited:

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
Alright, you guys say my levels are too frustrating so I made an easy one. :P

Tidal Forest
7K0-F12-LVF

it is a NSMB level featuring two types of gameplay,
you can stay dry (upper area) by doing consecutive platforming
or you can get soaking wet (lower area) and battle through troops of enemies.

I think I got fair balance of difficulty and flow this time.
hope to see some feedback, thanks.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Alright, you guys say my levels are too frustrating so I made an easy one. :P

Tidal Forest
7K0-F12-LVF

it is a NSMB level featuring two types of gameplay,
you can stay dry (upper area) by doing consecutive platforming
or you can get soaking wet (lower area) and battle through troops of enemies.

I think I got fair balance of difficulty and flow this time.
hope to see some feedback, thanks.

Got through it okay! I really liked the visuals of the level. Reminded me of what I did for my Piranha Plant Village level for those huts, but I like yours better! Anyway, great idea having the last section of level having that alternate path at the top that requires some well timed, careful Goombrat hopping over the spikes!

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
Got through it okay! I really liked the visuals of the level. Reminded me of what I did for my Piranha Plant Village level for those huts, but I like yours better! Anyway, great idea having the last section of level having that alternate path at the top that requires some well timed, careful Goombrat hopping over the spikes!

thanks for playing! I actually got the inspiration of village from your course! :P
because it is so pretty!

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I remade my first ever Mario Maker 1 course with some improvements:
TY9ku5Y.png

Perilous Parkour Palace
Course ID: H9L-7JD-F4G
Difficulty: Expert
Mutiplayer Friendly?: No

This one was a big hit back in the Mario Maker 1 days. I made it during the first weekend when most levels that were available were just a bunch of random course elements thrown together and themes levels were hard to come by. I wanted to build something based around the wall-jump mechanic which was very underutilized in the actual NSMB game. A million of this sort of wall-jump themed NSMB castle level would ultimately end up getting created but I think mine still holds up pretty well. I did make various adjustments to it by sanding down some rough edges, replacing some janky bits with more consistent obstacles, expanding the boss arena, adding checkpoints including a brief subworld, and replacing a hammer brother section that didn't really fit the theme with a new challenge. I hope you guys enjoy it!

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Made a new level:

Stairway to Heaven

3PK-Q22-NQF

Short, not hard and pretty standard.

This was fun, but what happens if I kill the Koopa Troopas with my shoe or get rid of them somehow--and lose my Raccoon Tail? How do I hit the On/Off switch, then? I fear the player could get into an unwinnable condition this way, but at the same time, the level's short enough that any "soft lock" potential wouldn't have a huge effect or be a big strain to the player anyway.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
This might be the pain and drugs from my hernia surgery talking, but the coin requirement is far too tight! I spent ages finding the three coins I missed, and when I did I killed the piranha creeper with a fire flower and couldn't get out of the pipes anymore. Jumping off it was the only way. This is with 90 seconds left, so you know I gave this my all!
Damn didn't know you could kill the piranha creepers with fire. But it actually is possible to get out of there without them, it's just a lot tighter. I probably should've made it so that you only needed a portion of the coins, not all of them. Thanks for giving it a try though!

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I loved on off switches at first but now it feels like every level is an on off switch jumping game and people make them so obnoxious :/

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
I loved on off switches at first but now it feels like every level is an on off switch jumping game and people make them so obnoxious :/
Playing Endless this is definitely the case. When I have less then 5 lives I just skip those levels.
Same with that NSMB Speedrun Spinjump/walljump/Pow bullshit.
If I find a car in Endless, I just skip the car. 99 % of the time the level is easier without it. If the car is mandatory (via win objective) I skip the level too. Fuck the car. Most creator's can't implement it correctly, so I won't bother.

There are also a freaking ton of leap of faiths or blindjumps in Endless.
I'm not gonna guess where I am suppose to land.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Playing Endless this is definitely the case. When I have less then 5 lives I just skip those levels.
Same with that NSMB Speedrun Spinjump/walljump/Pow bullshit.
If I find a car in Endless, I just skip the car. 99 % of the time the level is easier without it. If the car is mandatory (via win objective) I skip the level too. Fuck the car. Most creator's can't implement it correctly, so I won't bother.

There are also a freaking ton of leap of faiths or blindjumps in Endless.
I'm not gonna guess where I am suppose to land.

Yup, my tolerance for bullshit keeps dropping. So many lives in endless lost to just random horseshit. I was just playing this builder Mario level and it looked well made. Then I go in a pit to get a 50 coin, troll block. Well, sadly I cant boo this level unless I die and I'm not sacrificing a life just for booing. But this person sucks. Endless is only hard because the doable levels are mixed in with horseshit.

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I remade my first ever Mario Maker 1 course with some improvements:
TY9ku5Y.png

Perilous Parkour Palace
Course ID: H9L-7JD-F4G
Difficulty: Expert
Mutiplayer Friendly?: No

This one was a big hit back in the Mario Maker 1 days. I made it during the first weekend when most levels that were available were just a bunch of random course elements thrown together and themes levels were hard to come by. I wanted to build something based around the wall-jump mechanic which was very underutilized in the actual NSMB game. A million of this sort of wall-jump themed NSMB castle level would ultimately end up getting created but I think mine still holds up pretty well. I did make various adjustments to it by sanding down some rough edges, replacing some janky bits with more consistent obstacles, expanding the boss arena, adding checkpoints including a brief subworld, and replacing a hammer brother section that didn't really fit the theme with a new challenge. I hope you guys enjoy it!
This was fun! I like levels like this, where everything is just possible enough to keep me going. Also, checkpoints!

I play a lot of "New" and figured I'd share some good ones here:

52T-38C-91G - Some Japanese name I can't type
Riding on the side of a bunch of sideways thwomps, dodging incoming sets of bullet bills. Fun!

1NY-6K0-3PF: Secret of a mansion (also some japanese name)
Just a good old challenging level (at least for me). Lots of snakeblock like things at the end, but not the crazy "which way will this go" ones. Just ones that force you to move forward while dodging stuff. Well placed checkpoints.

5MF-R3V-P1G: Go Underground!
Pretty fun escape sequence. You're racing some Thwomps busting down through the floor. Have to hit switches so they don't get stopped and make some fun jumps (off the falling thwomps) to do it.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

This is Mario's Airship Exodus. Another pretty short one. I was just testing some things and messing with the Airship aesthetic. The thwomp in the clown car has become the thing that makes me happiest.

T2L-D5H-CJF

canonj

Oct 27, 2017
Here are my first 3 levels. None of them are very difficult, so give 'em a try!

Name: Looming Lava
Course ID: RVQ-2VT-QDG

k7FjMQi.png

Name: Seesaw Scramble
Course ID: 65B-P14-YLF

gMAdZqo.png

Name: Slide and Seek
Course ID: 7CF-RDP-LLF

0e1BnJF.png

holeung

Oct 28, 2017
I was irritated by level 36 from story mode, spending 5 mins to get in dat freaking pipe upside down.
It inspired me to make a level to irritate people further more.
See if you are interested.

PG1-0MN-DHG
The nightmare of entering Pipes

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Played a very intruiging speedrun level using the gimmick of sliding down slopes backwards, with the (freely translated by me) name of Prostate Break Speedrun. It has super low clear rate despite not being the hardest, probs because it's not obvious what to do at a glance.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm starting to get tired of the very unimaginative on off switch speedrun levels but I can live with them. The levels making good use of it are many and make them well worth it.