• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Played a very intruiging speedrun level using the gimmick of sliding down slopes backwards, with the (freely translated by me) name of Prostate Break Speedrun. It has super low clear rate despite not being the hardest, probs because it's not obvious what to do at a glance.

Do you have to go backwards? Does that make a difference?

Negative

Oct 25, 2017
My first 3D World level.
Ice to meet you: WFP-3TD-QXG

It's okay... I was basically testing some of its features. The middle part is the hardest.

PVMaWAZh.jpg
Ha. I just named my new course Ice to Meet You. Then I saw yours.

I wonder how many ice-related courses have that name.

Mine - CTT-G0J-VKG

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't find it. Just these: Perilous Peak, Hacksaw Havoc, Raptured Ruins, Suntouch Sanctuary and Carnivorous Cavern. Suntouch is awesome by the way.

CaptainMatilder was recommending a level in the screenshot that they were responding to. Search for the Sunken Castle isn't CaptainMatilder's. :)

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just finished a short level made with a bunch of switch and line blocks.Meant to be done under 40 second. It's doable in a little under 30 once you understand the layout.

7TG-6Y5-CRG

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Wondering if this level is fair or not challenge-wise. Need a second/third/etc set of hands on this level.

EDIT: Reuploading level to remove the Goomba.

EDIT 2: Here we are.
7-1clearpipecreekbyph10jm4.png

Last edited:

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Wondering if this level is fair or not challenge-wise. Need a second/third/etc set of hands on this level.
More than fair.
Personally I don't like the first Goomba coming through the pipe. It's a trap and everybody and their mother will get hit there because of impatience.
Nonetheless it's a extremely solid traditional-like course and I enjoyed it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone want to play my 3d World level? I feel like my design skills aren't all that good so some pointers would be helpful. It's based around Crystal pipes with some puzzle elements to it.

RPB-YX1-4KF
CRYSTAL PIPE PANIC
I liked it, but a couple things stuck out. First I think everything should have been a couple blocks closer together. The puzzle with the hopchops was just far away enough that I ended up despawning the crates once, and I suspect people who didn't get it as quickly could do it more than once. Same thing with the on/off blocks, which felt like they were 1 block too far which made the jumps deceptively hard in a way that didn't feel great, though since it was right after the checkpoint it wasn't a big deal. Also I think you could have signposted the Thwomp thing a little better, since it is a super obscure mechanic and since the checkpoint is right after it, many players won't think to do something like that when it would normally kill them.
Classic Mario Forest Course

Forest Run!

PDD-2CT-CMG
That was a nice, fun course. What was the point of the yoshi section though? It felt odd to have the player do an optional section near the end of the level, reward them with a powerup, and then not have some kind of extra challenge that would benefit from having the powerup. I suppose it's kind of like a victory lap
Made my second attempt at a course. FB5-V93-YXF.

67031069_10100379981865307_199745429854748672_o.jpg

Don't want to say too much about this one, because it's really about the experience you have while playing it, pretentious as that surely sounds.
I have to admit, I don't think Yoshi's Island 2 is as iconic and recognizable as 1-1 but it works here. I think it would have benefited from some additional sound effects to amp up the mood you were going for
Fence Frenzy: KDF - QTT - 64G

Not that hard in all honesty. But it is fairly long. Final section is the tough part.
I'm surprised the clear rate is so low

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Nah, I was just making a joke by ignoring your mentioning of my level being high up in the popular list, haha. Thanks for noticing. I was very surprised.
The level I mentioned is awesome tho, so feel free to check it out: 52T-7BK-LSG

On the off chance that it's been done already; I did a quick edit of the announcement trailer theme, because I wanted a somewhat full version that I could listen to. I really wanted a version that includes the Super Mario World build-up soo... yeah. Maybe someone will enjoy it:
Good work. The music in this game is superb. Especially all those new ones for the old game styles. Keeps you wondering why there isn't a unique one for SMB3 Desert and Pipeland/Forest.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I've never played NSMB U, I've heard about the Challenge Levels.

I wanted to try and port over one of them, which I feel came out close to perfect.

7HEBaNk.jpg

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
More than fair.
Personally I don't like the first Goomba coming through the pipe. It's a trap and everybody and their mother will get hit there because of impatience.
Nonetheless it's a extremely solid traditional-like course and I enjoyed it.

I was hoping the Goomba would already be through the pipe, but it didn't work out. I took down the level, and am now in the process of reuploading, as that was the only real spot I was unsure of.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
I liked it, but a couple things stuck out. First I think everything should have been a couple blocks closer together. The puzzle with the hopchops was just far away enough that I ended up despawning the crates once, and I suspect people who didn't get it as quickly could do it more than once. Same thing with the on/off blocks, which felt like they were 1 block too far which made the jumps deceptively hard in a way that didn't feel great, though since it was right after the checkpoint it wasn't a big deal. Also I think you could have signposted the Thwomp thing a little better, since it is a super obscure mechanic and since the checkpoint is right after it, many players won't think to do something like that when it would normally kill them.

Thanks so much for playing it anyway! I had fun making it and trying out different items. I agree the whomp mechanic is obscure ( I didn't know about it until I was messing around with the parts). I'll take your other points on board - one thing I always forget is that I built the level so of course I know how it should work. I'm guessing people who aren't familiar might struggle.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Decided to do my second stage on marble zone. Didn't wanna burn out starting with all 3 GHz acts. Didn't want to make the level overly hard so I put in a decent amount of powerups and check points. Think I did a decent job replicating level gimicks without hurting the level flow to much.

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
I was hesitant to share this one because it went though a couple of huge revisions before I finally uploaded it, and it's pretty different from my original vision. But I still think it came out alright, and I encourage anyone interested to check it out :D PSV-G1X-02H

D_d5M18VAAAKqh0.jpg:large

Last edited:

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I was hesitant to share this one because it went though a couple of huge revisions before I finally uploaded it, and I'm it's pretty different from my original vision. But I still think it came out alright, and I encourage anyone interested to check it out :D PSV-G1X-02H

I liked your level. It's not too challenging but it's great.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I was hesitant to share this one because it went though a couple of huge revisions before I finally uploaded it, and it's pretty different from my original vision. But I still think it came out alright, and I encourage anyone interested to check it out :D PSV-G1X-02H

Level was smartly designed. The On and Off switches were placed cleverly, the slopes were fun, the design was just impeccable. I really dug the ending as well. Just an overall highly enjoyable level for me.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I was just making a joke by ignoring your mentioning of my level being high up in the popular list, haha. Thanks for noticing. I was very surprised.
The level I mentioned is awesome tho, so feel free to check it out: 52T-7BK-LSG

Good work. The music in this game is superb. Especially all those new ones for the old game styles. Keeps you wondering why there isn't a unique one for SMB3 Desert and Pipeland/Forest.
Yes, that's a very nice level. Thanks for sharing.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Just played a level, Mario the Gladiator, that was great. But I forgot comments enabled, and it made me laugh. There was a moment when
a lot of bobombs killed the audience, then a commentary appears: "Are you not entertained?". LOL.
This community seems to be great.

Oct 28, 2017
Only being able to comment on a stage twice is lame. You can't offer proper critique in that limit. Also can we talk about how much worse commenting is than the first game? In the first game whenever you commented mid level it would save a screenshot there. You could make specific suggestions with the screenshot illustrating your point. Why has this been removed?

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Oubliette
H77-GJT-4PF

So, I was going to make a nice 3D World level, but it just wasn't happening, so I made this creepy thing instead. Mario goes for a nice hike in the mountains, but ends up falling into a dark and eldritch pit... I underestimated how much work it would take to do a vertically scrolling level without having the player bump their head on unseen obstacles, so it took hours to get right. I'd say it's moderately hard, shouldn't trouble anyone here too much but will probably end up with about a 10-20% clear rate.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Posting this again for the night crew because I haven't had tons of plays.
I made my first ever themed stage! It's time for Mario to be more pirate.

Sea of Thieves 1-1
M7D-9VQ-KQF

pirate-Mario.png

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
So after spending a better part of a week on my fifth level I decided to try to make a level much faster this time for my sixth.

Winged Bomb Skyway
EOyUj79.jpg

TQG-WLS-KMF
Description: Make it across the perilous skyway these peculiar Bob-ombs call home!

Wanted to do something pretty straight forward and then used winged Bob-ombs as the hook. I think it's pretty fun, though the last section can get a little tricky.

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
I liked your level. It's not too challenging but it's great.
Thanks so much for checking it out! Yeah I wound up making it a lot easier than the earlier versions, I may have gone too far. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Level was smartly designed. The On and Off switches were placed cleverly, the slopes were fun, the design was just impeccable. I really dug the ending as well. Just an overall highly enjoyable level for me.

Wow, thanks a ton for the kind words, I really appreciate it!

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
I have to admit, I don't think Yoshi's Island 2 is as iconic and recognizable as 1-1 but it works here. I think it would have benefited from some additional sound effects to amp up the mood you were going for

Thanks for giving it a try.

I actually had an earlier version of the level that used sound effects more extensively, but I worried it was a little too silly/cheesy, so I pared them back a bit. I wanted the main focus to be the heartbeat, which should follow you through the level ... assuming you don't kill the sun. Though I did still keep some of the more over-the-top effects for the sub-area and the aerial section. Maybe I should have kept some of the others in though.

I considered 1-1, but opted for Yoshi's Island 2, because I wanted a course that was distinctly upbeat in its original tone while still being fairly well known, and also just because of the sheer number of 1-1 recreations out there.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I take a couple days off playing Era levels and pages and pages of shit appear. I gotta play through the last few pages and then work on my new level. Anyone who played my Mario Maker 1 stuff knows I had a thing for making ice levels so I'm hoping I can replicate the magic again.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone made any co-op specific courses, with the intention of downloading and playing couch co-op? It's what really sold me on the game initially, so it's a disappointment that it's not better integrated.

If anyone has a list or link with such courses, I'd gladly have it, or, we'll make one if anyone else is also looking for that stuff!

I made one now, I would love to hear if anyone gives it a shot, and what they think! Course ID: KN7-7J7-2KG
67380172_10213563525032097_2824883562052845568_o.jpg

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017

A puzzly, mazey, Metroidvania-type thing. Feedback very welcome! KQL-VHC-H4G

Fun level, but I'm not sure if I did it your intended way! Was I meant to be able to skip the flower for example? It felt like I skipped a lot of rooms, only needing:
1. Yoshi
2. POW
3. Shell hat
4. P-switch

It was nice though, not too long. :D

Last edited:

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
I take a couple days off playing Era levels and pages and pages of shit appear.

Haha, yeah. I would advise to use a filter. Like not playing courses of users, who only slap their code here without description or image or anything. I don't mean to be rude for those who do that, but a day has only so many hours and you GOTTA be picky.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, yeah. I would advise to use a filter. Like not playing courses of users, who only slap their code here without description or image or anything. I don't mean to be rude for those who do that, but a day has only so many hours and you GOTTA be picky.

I barely have time to make courses let alone photoshop a fancy jpeg advertising them.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Wait, did anyone here know about this?

This is definitely a weird thing to "unlock", but it'll definitely come in handy for testing.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

I'll work my way through my follows list first and then I'll try and play stuff that didnt get noticed. I generally am more drawn to play the stuff of people who really seem passionate about their makes or people who cant get any plays. But if someone dumps their stuff and contributes nothing else at all thats an easy skip.