• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
New level is ready for consumption!

7-3sunkendepthsofkoopc7jiv.png

LajNimajwal

Jul 16, 2019
Re-posting this for the new page because I'd really love some eyeballs on it.

Cool concept, though a bit repetitive since it was the exact same things over and over. Maybe a little variation would have been more fun. I got it in every time but no key… so no payoff. Do you have to hit both blocks at once every time?

I finally finished a narritive based level that took me about 2 weeks to build!

I call it: The Koopas: A Tale Of Greed

The basic idea here is that: You and Bowser live in a small mining town called Koopa Kliffs. You two aren't enemies, you're just neighbors with a lot of other former enemies. You work for a mining company, but an accident reveals that it has a very dark secret...

Like my other narritive levels, theres some sort of dark twist. I'll put it in spoiler tags since I imagine more people will be interested in the twist than the set up.

Ok, that was insanely fun. Brilliantly crafted to bring you to different places. Very well done!

Just made a level that I'm pretty proud of. It's all about finding ways to kill goombas that are trapped in infinite loops through clear pipes. Lots of puzzles and secrets, not a lot of difficulty.

Mario Cleans Your Pipes

TX1-91G-N8G

Very creative! I'd like to see a series of this exact formula, with different enemies you get to dispatch of in diverse ways with the pipes and contraptions. Very fun!

Core Zero

Oct 25, 2017
Checked this out during my lunch. Haven't beaten it yet, but I like the difficulty. My only complaint or suggestion right now is a checkpoint after the p switch door would do wonders. How big the hitboxes for spikes are now in MM2 makes those sections back to back aggravating. The second half just seems way longer than the first half.

Yeah honestly I worried about that. I would have liked to be able to place one more checkpoint overall, but with two I had to pick between splitting up difficulty and length. I probably should have swapped the places of some of the sections but I wanted to keep the psuedo-mirrored layout (you're going up one side of the cave and down the other, and each side has similar challenges in similar places.)

Also the spike hitboxes are bullshit and one of the reasons I had to change that section. It feels like Mega Man 1 levels of touchy and I don't like it.

Thank you for the feedback! I like making hard levels but I don't usually go this hard. Definitely learned some things from the process.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think I got first clear on your course last night. I gotta say I was really digging the vibe and I loved the claustrophobic winding tunnel. The 4th room was a big pain at first, but after several runs it felt very satisfying to finally get through. It was a bit annoying having to run back to the bottom to get the shell back so many times because the enemy locations could be tricky. It was also hard to abandon shell and kick it with such limited space, but finally found a few spots where I could get out and kick it instead of breaking it or getting right back in. I think this part would probably be really hard for a low-skilled/average player. Overall, I found it a fun challenge and loved the aesthetic.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Was worried how well I signposted things, so this confirms I probably didn't do a good enough job. For the shell throw, you'll kick yourself: Simply jump on the spot from safety off the previous platform and press trigger. No directional presses required, the shell will launch straight down the corridor and clear all the debris! Sorry you had to struggle so much.

megaStryke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
California
Cool concept, though a bit repetitive since it was the exact same things over and over. Maybe a little variation would have been more fun. I got it in every time but no key… so no payoff. Do you have to hit both blocks at once every time?

You aren't getting the key because you haven't made a perfect delivery. Only deliver to the subscribers. The clue is in the first screen. Once you get the key, a second, more elaborate half of the level opens up.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah honestly I worried about that. I would have liked to be able to place one more checkpoint overall, but with two I had to pick between splitting up difficulty and length. I probably should have swapped the places of some of the sections but I wanted to keep the psuedo-mirrored layout (you're going up one side of the cave and down the other, and each side has similar challenges in similar places.)

Also the spike hitboxes are bullshit and one of the reasons I had to change that section. It feels like Mega Man 1 levels of touchy and I don't like it.

Thank you for the feedback! I like making hard levels but I don't usually go this hard. Definitely learned some things from the process.

Ok beat it. That third section is by far my favorite section. I had it down to basically a speed run strat and could do the whole section in probably 15 seconds. I'd go back and speed run the whole level if I had any trust in getting the spike sections.

I would be head over heals with this level if the whole level had the pacing of that third section. The sections before with the walking spiney's and waiting for the jumping pirahna plants forced a lot more of waiting. If those sections were a little more sped up I don't even think the spike sections would even be much of a bother in difficulty, but it was the waiting and then getting to two sections of those, one even with spineys you're waiting on, that made that part grueling.

Really liked the level and difficulty for sure.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I was trying to figure out a way where you had to kill a giant Bowser to be able to use the goal, and the only way to kill Bowser available in the level would be to make him follow you to the very end and fall in a pit of lava. But I couldn't really figure out a good way to do this that didn't end up with the Bowser despawning when you get too far away and also remain fun + challenging. :/

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Here is a my latest creation, The Great Turnip Rave of 1927. I had a lot of fun with the theme.

Once I saw one of the semi-solid platforms in SMW was a root vegetable, I had to make a level around it. This is an easy-to-intermediate traditional level with lots of power-ups, lots of secrets, and a hell of a lot of turnips.

Last edited:

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Okay, now I'm happy with a trio of what I considered my weaker-designed courses. Not only have I updated a couple of my older courses make some needed tweaks, but I've also managed to improve Creeper Aquarium a ton, thanks to some feedback. I guess both a pro and con that the courses stats had to obviously be wiped and have new Course IDs.

Spiny Central: KDK-BGP-H9G
Bully Tracker: WWV-4QB-9YF

Both of these courses had some very awkward difficulty spikes that I wanted to get rid of. I would see streamers play my courses only to end up dying in the same spots for the simple reason that I either didn't telegraph an enemy coming up or a course part was being used in an awkward way, retrospectively. Bully Tracker specifically had a nasty "bug" where an enemy on the course would disappear if the player made not-so-specific movements, making the course unbeatable. Hopefully that's fixed now. Enjoy!

Creeper Aquarium: 75D-X6P-FPF

You may or may not have seen a small post about a course I was making about Piranha Creepers that was lackluster, I took some feedback from that post and updated it to a spot I feel I very pretty happy with. It's still not perfect, but I feel it's the best it can be right now and it's definitely ready to be shown off and played!

Three Dee Road: 7QJ-GV1-NRF
Retro Road Redux: RVQ-8HS-R1G
Cheep-Cheep River Remix: GCC-H6N-4MG
Scorched Tower Ruins: 67F-421-6RF
Sand Springs: LCB-F5J-J5G
Overflow Frontier: 639-C0V-BGF
Butter Bridge Brigade: MKM-SFN-Q9G

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I spent the last 2.5 hours on the train building a short course. I have never really experimented with the SMW spin jump even as a player and wanted to build a level to make myself more comfortable with it.

It's short and sweet, but the bomb section might be too hard compared to the rest of the level. Let me know if the pacing is off here.

Anyways, trust the Piranha Plants against my "Spinning Sunflowers of Death"
🌻 HP2-L5F-CGF 🌻

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any favorite makers you follow? I follow someone named Matilder and Matt Thornson. Any recommendations?

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
I uploaded a new level last night centered around riding thwomps between airships. The level has moderate difficulty and a neat climax.

Turncoat Thwomp Transport
Course ID: 56W-CSM-NWF
Maker ID: GFF-4D0-8RF

Description: Ride the thwomps from ship to ship to vanquish Bowser's aerial fleet.

weKaJSu.png

Gnn0ndp.png

TyCRJdQ.png

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Here is a my latest creation, The Great Turnip Rave of 1927. I had a lot of fun with the theme.

Once I saw one of the semi-solid platforms in SMW was a root vegetable, I had to make a level around it. This is an easy-to-intermediate traditional level with lots of power-ups, lots of secrets, and a hell of a lot of turnips.
I played through this and had a good time. The theme was fun and consistent. I do wonder why you used an auto scroll for part of the level though since there is a lot to explore.

I recorded a playthrough of it to test out a new capture card if you want to see how I tackled the course.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
I played through this and had a good time. The theme was fun and consistent. I do wonder why you used an auto scroll for part of the level though since there is a lot to explore.

I recorded a playthrough of it to test out a new capture card if you want to see how I tackled the course.

Glad you liked it! Yeah, I really had to think about the auto-scroll part and whether I should use it. Without the auto-scroll, I felt the level might have been a bit too laid-back so I put it in to add a little more agency. I experimented without the scrolling, as well as different scrolling speeds, and in the end, I think this was my preferred option. But I understand it's not for everyone. I liked the way you tackled the level! There are definitely multiple ways it can be done, especially in the vertical sections, so it's fun to see everyone's take. Thanks!!

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Chill level, I had fun with it. I like that it rewards cape skills even when it isn't mandatory. I personally like open levels like yours although some people might feel lost without an arrow, but I don't find that necessary at all since your stage was easy to navigate. Overall I feel it was an easy enough difficulty too. Nothing frustrating at all.
Thanks. I'm glad to see others like it.

Last edited:

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hi guys, I'm making my first ever level. It's one where you have to collect 5 coins and each one is found by completing short (but difficult and precise) platforming challenges. It's a test of your ability to perform basic hops with no BS random thwomps, etc. etc.

It's pure platforming, just with a touch of difficulty.

Once done, would anyone be happy to give it a whirl?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My absolute favorite level I've made apparently isn't so well liked by others. 0 likes, 5 plays, and my makerpoints going doing indicating probable booing.

I'd really appreciate it if more people gave it a shot, and let me know what makes it meh or bad. It's got a 50% clear rate, which I thought easier levels was what people wanted. Maybe i got unlucky with the 5 players.

I wanted to make it more open, but maybe it was too open and it needs some arrows?

Frozen Flying
3F1-G7C-72G

Loved this!

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Hi guys, I'm making my first ever level. It's one where you have to collect 5 coins and each one is found by completing short (but difficult and precise) platforming challenges. It's a test of your ability to perform basic hops with no BS random thwomps, etc. etc.

It's pure platforming, just with a touch of difficulty.

Once done, would anyone be happy to give it a whirl?
You know it, brother.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm trying to make a 3D world course that uses crates as a puzzle mechanic and man what a mess. It's so hard to get it to do what I want without on/off blocks and one way platforms. The fact that there's no way to get a spike block that will always be activated and have an on/off block together in the same room is maddening, especially since that seems to be the only way for me to prevent the player from cheesing the puzzle

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
We Love Cats!!
Course ID: WRX-V82-RNG

0UwWGUW.jpg

Tried to make an 'easier' level based around the Cat power-up that my kids (when I have any!) should be able to play. XD Still various hidden bits around of course (3 big coins, red coins, boss fight etc), but they're all optional.

I love cats/3D World so I wanted to make a level with that power-up the instant I saw it was new in Mario Maker 2! Meow!

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
"Four" (SMB)
PVP-MMM-MNF.

ty7HvCu.jpg

1 screen, 4 rooms. Intended to teach the basics of introducing a concept then raising the challenge. I'm getting into single screen levels as the space restriction is a breath of fresh air.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I've been busy lately and have mostly only dug into singleplayer mode.

How is the online multiplayer? I thought it looked great when they showed it off in the Direct.
It's party gamish. They need to fix a few things though, like when someone gets the key people can block the door. It's kind of silly that way. Also adding playing online with friends.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Has Nintendo mentioned Mario Maker Bookmark website or app integration for finding levels?

I hope they don't forget this game and continue to update and add stuff.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Has Nintendo mentioned Mario Maker Bookmark website or app integration for finding levels?

I hope they don't forget this game and continue to update and add stuff.

They haven't said anything. Hopefully they go with a website and don't expect people to use the damned phone app. 'Cause they won't.

The game seems to be selling really well, though. It was #1 in the NPDs and Famitsu's list this week. I'm sure they'll add stuff. Even the Wii U game got a few updates.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My kaizo got 20 new players overnight and is now at over 5k attempts! Just cool to experience that the system actually works. (Me having an actual legit hard level with low clear rate and it getting visibility from people wanting those levels.)

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Playing around with Mario World themes tonight and made a pair of short ones, one multiplayer combat focused, one puzzle focused.

Prehistoric Pulverizer
WFT-TF1-XHF
"Multiplayer friendly. Dinosaurs abound friend and foe."

and

Grave Robbin'
HY6-XNQ-MWG
"Prized possessions buried under shallow graves. They don't need em anymore."

LajNimajwal

Jul 16, 2019
I've made my first multiplayer level. It's a race up a giant beanstalk. It can of course be fun by yourself as well!

Up the Beanstalk with You All

5B7-2MQ-HPF

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
We need more snow levels

I got you.

The Super Slippery Icy Mountain
ID: YXX Y0B WYG

The snow music for SMB1 is just too good, I had to build a level just to listen to it again and again and again.
It's a medium difficulty platformer where every single surface is slippery and Mario can't seem to stand still. If he wants to cross the Super Slippery Icy Mountain, he will have to go through it.

Enjoy.
(At least enjoy the music.)

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Even when I start with the intention of creating a pure platforming level, I always start to introduce pseudo-puzzles where the player has to think a little in ordre to progress. I can't help myself.

Nov 2, 2017
My third level came about much faster than my second one!

Cat Mario vs Banzai Bills

Course ID: R1S-50X-8GG

I noticed that in one of the story mode levels, you could get a 10-coin by changing the direction of a Banzai Bill by scratching it with Cat Mario. But as far as I know, that's the only instance of something like that done, so I tried to expand on it with this level, along with a bunch of other Banzai Bill related platforming obstacles. I originally intended for this level to be shorter….but I can't help getting ideas!

Also if anyone's interested, my second level, Escape the Piranha Creeper House, has been attempted 31 times, but no one has cleared it yet. Course ID for that is M99-RN3-DJF

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any favorite makers you follow? I follow someone named Matilder and Matt Thornson. Any recommendations?
I follow Ever, they make really tough one screen puzzles which I like. They've released 8 so far, 2 of which I haven't been able to solve.

Seanhip2 is also good for one screen puzzles. Slightly simpler than Ever, but he's only released a couple in MM2 so far.

I also follow Barb for very difficult (but probably not Kaizo?) levels. Haven't actually beaten any of his yet but made some progress on the Terminator.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I got you.

The Super Slippery Icy Mountain
ID: YXX Y0B WYG

The snow music for SMB1 is just too good, I had to build a level just to listen to it again and again and again.
It's a medium difficulty platformer where every single surface is slippery and Mario can't seem to stand still. If he wants to cross the Super Slippery Icy Mountain, he will have to go through it.

Enjoy.
(At least enjoy the music.)

That was pretty fun! You are the first ever person that I played a level from lol

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
My kaizo got 20 new players overnight and is now at over 5k attempts! Just cool to experience that the system actually works. (Me having an actual legit hard level with low clear rate and it getting visibility from people wanting those levels.)

I'm always a little excited when I log on in the morning and get the overnight update, particularly when it's a good number and ratio. Six plays! 50% likes-to-plays ratio! That's a good day.

Then I imagine those people who've had a breakthrough who get a notification in the four, five figures territory, and my heart sinks a little!

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I follow Ever, they make really tough one screen puzzles which I like. They've released 8 so far, 2 of which I haven't been able to solve.

Seanhip2 is also good for one screen puzzles. Slightly simpler than Ever, but he's only released a couple in MM2 so far.

I also follow Barb for very difficult (but probably not Kaizo?) levels. Haven't actually beaten any of his yet but made some progress on the Terminator.

These puzzle levels sound interesting, I'll add them, thanks

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
I'm always a little excited when I log on in the morning and get the overnight update, particularly when it's a good number and ratio. Six plays! 50% likes-to-plays ratio! That's a good day.

Then I imagine those people who've had a breakthrough who get a notification in the four, five figures territory, and my heart sinks a little!
I logged on to see my last level (Oubliette) had 250 plays, but only 50 likes, that was gutting. It must have been booed too, because it was nowhere in the top 200, and it's had hardly any plays since. Bloody philistines :p

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
These puzzle levels sound interesting, I'll add them, thanks

Following Splinter's recommendations earlier in the thread, I've played a few of Ever's, and he's quite right, they really are excellent. Perhaps a little too reliant on being fully aware of some of the more subtle interactions that objects have, but in doing so it's fair to argue that they also serve as a tutorial on that front; indeed, when Ever breaks away from the single-screen you'll sometimes get levels that focus heavily on a single mechanic - there's quite a nice one based around P-switches where you can't jump, for instance!

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I logged on to see my last level (Oubliette) had 250 plays, but only 50 likes, that was gutting. It must have been booed too, because it was nowhere in the top 200, and it's had hardly any plays since. Bloody philistines :p
Must be some lames who can't super jump for shit.

I really dug it. A really nice and well-presented vertical level based on super jumping off of enemies.