• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Transparency has never been Mario Maker's forte, even relative to the opaqueness of other Nintendo service titles. The Mario Maker 1 patch notes were bad and they haven't improved with Mario Maker 2, and even with games with comprehensive patch notes like Smash and Splatoon, they still don't explain why they changed the things they did. I had always suspected that the maker point formula were going to be changed at some point, Nintendo has never shied away from changing ranking systems before, and I never focused on it because of that, but I understand how it would be frustrating if you had put a lot of value in it.

The game puts value in it by tying rewards and exposure to ranking. That's why changing it in something like Mario Maker is extremely different than changing it in something like Splatoon.

The whole medal system is bad anyways since only the top 1% of players, either in ability or level design, will ever get to interact with it and I wish they had done more to make it valuable and relevant for the other 99% of players.

I get this but it's still ultimately not changing my issue. It's a creation game and medals highlight top creators which is exposure. That's the whole reason to even engage in a ranking system for this type of game. When you change the rankings arbitrarily you are fucking with people's progress in a way they cant just get back or fix. That's inherently not fair. There was no reason to change this after 6 months.

I wasn't implying that people with high maker points are just following trends, but talking about how experimental, challenging levels were more actively discouraged by the old system. High concept levels that require the player to grasp some obscure puzzle mechanic, do things in a certain way, or just plain difficult levels were previously implicitly discouraged because players who didn't understand their mechanics would boo them and cause the maker's maker points to decrease, demotivating the maker from producing levels of that kind. Removing that negative influence for levels that happen to do unusual things, as minor as it may have been, will help encourage players, ever so slightly, to experiment more and do out of the ordinary things. Speaking for myself I was very discouraged to see my maker points holding steady or dropping slightly just after spending 10+ hours making a level I was really proud of because it was difficult and not a favorable level for multiplayer versus or endless. I wasn't losing points because my level was bad, I was losing points because my level wasn't a good fit for the modes people happened to play it in.

I mean, at the end of the day my empathy has never been lost on people not getting exposure. I have said that a million times in this thread. I made an attempt to play all the levels posted here and give feedback. But that said, I still don't get how people think that pulling the rug under from people like me is fair or a good thing or why they are happy about it. They could fix the system a million other ways. I had to use the exact same system as everyone else, why is my disappointment lesser?

But its whatever. I'll play other games.

Also, for the record, likes or boos do nothing to your maker score in multiplayer versus. You're maker score is only affected if your level is played in a single player mode.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018
I'm thinking about making a Christmas Tree themed level in the 3D World Style and want to incorporate Spikes in it. However is there a way where I can make the goal of the level to not kill any of the Spikes? The idea is that there's a family of spikes that invite Mario to a Christmas party and you're climbing their tree. I also want to make it frowned upon to hurt the hosts because why would anyone want to hurt these sweet fellows:

maxresdefault.jpg

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wish there was a way to unlock the Rotten Shroom for use outside of nighttime ground stages
You can apply this criticism to the entire game. There's no valid reason to tightly couple certain environmental hazards/items to single stages/themes. I know Nintendo thinks its a way to make levels in a single theme more distinct but I think it's restrictive for all the wrong reasons.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
You can apply this criticism to the entire game. There's no valid reason to tightly couple certain environmental hazards/items to single stages/themes. I know Nintendo thinks its a way to make levels in a single theme more distinct but I think it's restrictive for all the wrong reasons.
being able to use snowballs and snow Pokeys on a lava level would have been fun. I always like making icy fire levels.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get this but it's still ultimately not changing my issue. It's a creation game and medals highlight top creators which is exposure. That's the whole reason to even engage in a ranking system for this type of game. When you change the rankings arbitrarily you are fucking with people's progress in a way they cant just get back or fix. That's inherently not fair. There was no reason to change this after 6 months.
I guess this is where we have to agree to disagree. The way maker points were previously calculated was actively detrimental to the game, causing players to lose points for factors out of their control and reducing the value of producing additional levels. It was actively discouraging people from making levels, particularly levels that would not appeal to a large audience and could not hope to capture the number of plays of previous levels. There is inherent value in solving that problem and I believe that the cost of the momentary disruption of implementing that change is less than the added benefit of fixing that system. It doesn't do enough to fix it and they did it in an needlessly opaque way, but for better or for worse, that's how Nintendo has always treated their ongoing services, it shouldn't come as a surprise at this point that their updates will always fix issues with the subtlety of a hammer.
I mean, at the end of the day my empathy has never been lost on people not getting exposure. I have said that a million times in this thread. I made an attempt to play all the levels posted here and give feedback. But that said, I still don't get how people think that pulling the rug under from people like me is fair or a good thing or why they are happy about it. They could fix the system a million other ways. I had to use the exact same system as everyone else, why is my disappointment lesser?
I don't mean to diminish your frustration with the change, just to point out that this can only have negative effects for the top 1000 or so makers and is a positive change for everyone else.
I'm thinking about making a Christmas Tree themed level in the 3D World Style and want to incorporate Spikes in it. However is there a way where I can make the goal of the level to not kill any of the Spikes? The idea is that there's a family of spikes that invite Mario to a Christmas party and you're climbing their tree. I also want to make it frowned upon to hurt the hosts because why would anyone want to hurt these sweet fellows:

maxresdefault.jpg
You can give every spike a key and that force the player to walk through a hallway with locked warp boxes that will drop the player in a pit if they walk through it while holding a key. Though if you do that, you should make sure that the warp boxes of death are placed somewhere near the beginning of the level where they'll be visible to the player and able to communicate that they will punish you if you go through them.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
I think I got around 5k additional maker points (from 13xxx to 18xxx). Don't know my rank, but I still got my gold medal, so still 100th best it is.
And I think the update will bringt me back to the game. Got some new ideas and also old courses I have to work on. And of course a good chunk of era created courses waiting for me. Fun times.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I guess this is where we have to agree to disagree. The way maker points were previously calculated was actively detrimental to the game, causing players to lose points for factors out of their control and reducing the value of producing additional levels.

This isn't true though. Every level I uploaded has only ever increased my total Maker Points. You're score only decreases if you can't meet minimum thresholds and that makes sense because if the Maker Points system isn't meant to emphasize pure popularity in rankings, simply uploading more volume should not boost your score inherently. That doesn't mean that more levels equals lower score. There is no way I could reach the score I "was" at without adding more levels. Most people absolutely could not increase their score without more volume. The only people who hit physical walls would be people like GokouD or Matilder whose scores were so high with a few levels so big that the averaging effect dinged them. And whethet that is a bad thing or not depends on whom you are talking to.

What you're saying is plainly false. Its not that people were uploading more that their score wasn't going up. Its that what they were uploading wasn't generating enough positive interest and even if that's offensive to some people that isn't a false statement. The game has like 6 million levels, you can't expect everyone to always be generating good outcomes from uploads.

It was actively discouraging people from making levels, particularly levels that would not appeal to a large audience and could not hope to capture the number of plays of previous levels.

Again, this is just plainly not true. You're score doesn't get capped at the level of points 99% of people in the community have. The people experiencing score stagnation had scores in the 13,000+. Your score isn't capped by additional uploads around 2000, you just are not generating enough interest to bump your ranking.

There is inherent value in solving that problem and I believe that the cost of the momentary disruption of implementing that change is less than the added benefit of fixing that system.

Plainly going to ask this. What benefit do people with low Maker scores think this is going to add? You're levels do not trend more with a higher Maker Score. You Maker score is a ranking and your ranking is based off of the levels you publish. You dont gain any visibility in this game unless you make the populad section or you have a medal. What has this solved? Again note, you're observation about Maker scores naturally decreasing with more uploads is not true for people for the vast majority of player in this game.

It doesn't do enough to fix it and they did it in an needlessly opaque way, but for better or for worse, that's how Nintendo has always treated their ongoing services, it shouldn't come as a surprise at this point that their updates will always fix issues with the subtlety of a hammer.

The issue is this doesn't fix anything. It changes how like 1200 people interact with the upper rankings in the game but it does not fix anything for the average person. That's part of why this change pisses me off. I get punished for zero benefit to the community as a whole.

Though the things you are saying only highlight one side of the issue. The same way people up in the rankings complained about a plateau, the only reason I even engaged in the meta game was because you did not need a wildly popular level to do well in the rankings. I am never going to have a level as popular as the top creators but the fact the game still let people climb the rankings is what kept me clawing away at it. Note this because its important. My score was increasing because I was uploading MORE levels. I would have put this shit down way sooner if I knew they would do this and make it impossible to get to the higher levels without thousands of likes.

There is no "better" system. Maker Points was a formula. That formula meant different things to different people and what is pissing me off having this discussion with people is they just assume there was no positives to the old system. I engaged in the game way more because of what thr old system offered people like me. Them changing it with 0 warning any just reranking everyone and stripping exposure sucks. I dont get why people are trying to act like my frustrations are not valid.

I don't mean to diminish your frustration with the change, just to point out that this can only have negative effects for the top 1000 or so makers and is a positive change for everyone else.

Most discussions today have been diminishing my frustration so its whatever. But the change has 0 effect on anyone operating outside the top end of the rankings so I dont get your reasoning. Just because you are getting more Maker Points it doesn't mean your levels get more exposure. You're Maker Score decreasing literally only matters if you are already ranked because thats where you gain visibility.

Anyway, I'm out. I don't want to really continue this. Yall have fun with this. I'll still be playing but my activity going forward is up in the air at this point. I love the game but I'll have to decide if I want to engage with the game and the community as before because having my rank stripped down after the amount I was grinding has really soured the experience for me.

Edit: and I dont mean my frustrations to be taken personally by anyone here. There is a reason I have been so active in this thread and have promoted many of the people heres levels to friends and even on Era. Its because I love playing your levels. But it sucks watching your grind be entirely erased in a 3 minute update.

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
My latest stage has probably involved more testing to ensure it works than any other I've made.
Trying to plan for varied player pace in an autoscroller can be a pain, I'm thinking "surely no one would hug the front of the screen in an autoscroller!" But you just never know.

so if anyone finds anything dangerously at fault here I'll actually go back and fix it, in any case...
Boulder Smoulder
74F D9Q-PHG

An obligatory spike stage with a hint of dash pads.

Hopefully by the weekend I'll have a laptop again so I'll actually give proper feedback and also pretty up this stage drop with an image.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played in a while but were likes reduced or something? I feel like I have way less on my levels than I did before.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Forgotten Temple

CSN-1SD-M8G

Here we go, my first crack at a Link level. It's a bit rough and ready but I've tried to cram in all of the various moves Link has. The difficulty is in making it so that you don't get stuck if you loose the costume, but without making it overly easy. Let me know if you find any glaring mistakes!

*EDIT* Found a nasty softlock, deleted and will re-upload later.

Last edited:

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now I'm remembering why I ended up dropping this game 2 weeks after release. I suck at creating levels haha. Very little creativity. I'm trying to make a fun Link level with puzzles but I'm seeing his moveset from a very surface-level perspective and can't seem to make the most of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Here we go, my first crack at a Link level. It's a bit rough and ready but I've tried to cram in all of the various moves Link has. The difficulty is in making it so that you don't get stuck if you loose the costume, but without making it overly easy. Let me know if you find any glaring mistakes!

I've played a few all-in-one Link tutorials already, but this one has the virtue of letting the player sort out the puzzles on their own and teaching a few interactions along the way without the use of hints. I wasn't aware until I played this level that Link's shield can knock Munchers out of position, for example, and that's very useful to know given how ubiquitously Munchers are used as a POW gate (or as a form of collision generally). I don't know if I would have thought to check that myself, and it's going to break a lot of creations by unsuspecting creators until this knowledge catches on. I recognize the dungeon minimap concept from one of Matilder's creations a while back, too, and I was wondering who would be the first to bring it back.

Two things, though. First of all, this is a bit of an odd stage from you in that I played it several hours after publication and it wasn't already swamped with plays—which matters here, because usually, when I play anything from you, I have to turn comments off just so I can see where I'm going, and that also disables creator comments. That doesn't affect me directly here because I already figured out Link's move set, and this level hasn't picked up a ton of steam just yet, but be aware that one of the things you'll typically lose as a very popular creator is that you just won't have the privilege of making a Comments On stage. Not a big deal for this level, but worth keeping in mind for the future.

Secondly, the final room before the boss, with all those one-way drops and incoming damage from Piranha Plants, is soft-lock/SD-lock central. I know it's tricky to design around this when the solution of spamming the Master Sword everywhere to keep the player in Link form also trivializes all incoming damage, but that might just mean damage-related difficulty and keeping the player as Link the whole time are two concepts that fundamentally don't mix well. I think it's going to take a while for what does or doesn't work about a Link level to shake out, because naturally people are starting with always-Link dungeon-like designs to capture that fantasy (like all those Amiibo stages in SMM1 that tried to put you in costume constantly), but sooner or later they'll have to figure out how to deal with the implementation of the Master Sword as a power-up that works like all the others.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Started up the game again to try out Link, and ended up making a new level.

I think/hope it stands out from all the million other new Link levels. :D
I just hope it's not too tricky to figure out the solutions, or to perform them. It is quite difficult though, I bet.

Opinions are very welcome!

Forgotten Temple

CSN-1SD-M8G
Is it just me, or does this course ID not work?

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
I've played a few all-in-one Link tutorials already, but this one has the virtue of letting the player sort out the puzzles on their own and teaching a few interactions along the way without the use of hints. I wasn't aware until I played this level that Link's shield can knock Munchers out of position, for example, and that's very useful to know given how ubiquitously Munchers are used as a POW gate (or as a form of collision generally). I don't know if I would have thought to check that myself, and it's going to break a lot of creations by unsuspecting creators until this knowledge catches on. I recognize the dungeon minimap concept from one of Matilder's creations a while back, too, and I was wondering who would be the first to bring it back.

Two things, though. First of all, this is a bit of an odd stage from you in that I played it several hours after publication and it wasn't already swamped with plays—which matters here, because usually, when I play anything from you, I have to turn comments off just so I can see where I'm going, and that also disables creator comments. That doesn't affect me directly here because I already figured out Link's move set, and this level hasn't picked up a ton of steam just yet, but be aware that one of the things you'll typically lose as a very popular creator is that you just won't have the privilege of making a Comments On stage. Not a big deal for this level, but worth keeping in mind for the future.

Secondly, the final room before the boss, with all those one-way drops and incoming damage from Piranha Plants, is soft-lock/SD-lock central. I know it's tricky to design around this when the solution of spamming the Master Sword everywhere to keep the player in Link form also trivializes all incoming damage, but that might just mean damage-related difficulty and keeping the player as Link the whole time are two concepts that fundamentally don't mix well. I think it's going to take a while for what does or doesn't work about a Link level to shake out, because naturally people are starting with always-Link dungeon-like designs to capture that fantasy (like all those Amiibo stages in SMM1 that tried to put you in costume constantly), but sooner or later they'll have to figure out how to deal with the implementation of the Master Sword as a power-up that works like all the others.

Is it just me, or does this course ID not work?

Thanks for the detailed feedback. That softlock is a doozy, I actually realised it was there just before you put your post up. I've deleted the level for a bit of reworking. My solution to the damage trivialisation issue was to have most of the rooms as a self contained challenge, with a Link specific ability required to continue at the end of the challenge, but always giving the player a chance to go back and get another sword and try again if they take a hit. That way, getting hit doesn't outright kill the player, but you do still need to do it without taking damage to proceed. Unfortunately I forgot to let the player go back in that room! I'm going to put some vines in so that you can climb back out if needed, and I'm also going to move the locked door to the entrance of that room, rather than the exit. That way, if someone does die in there, the can restart at the checkpoint without having to re-do the muncher room to get the key.
Regarding the comments, my hope is that if or when the level gets popular, most people will have had a chance to learn Link's moveset. And yes, the overall concept is rather shamelessly influenced by CaptainMatilder 's dungeon level ;)

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the detailed feedback. That softlock is a doozy, I actually realised it was there just before you put your post up. I've deleted the level for a bit of reworking. My solution to the damage trivialisation issue was to have most of the rooms as a self contained challenge, with a Link specific ability required to continue at the end of the challenge, but always giving the player a chance to go back and get another sword and try again if they take a hit. That way, getting hit doesn't outright kill the player, but you do still need to do it without taking damage to proceed. Unfortunately I forgot to let the player go back in that room! I'm going to put some vines in so that you can climb back out if needed, and I'm also going to move the locked door to the entrance of that room, rather than the exit. That way, if someone does die in there, the can restart at the checkpoint without having to re-do the muncher room to get the key.
Regarding the comments, my hope is that if or when the level gets popular, most people will have had a chance to learn Link's moveset. And yes, the overall concept is rather shamelessly influenced by CaptainMatilder 's dungeon level ;)

I saw that you had taken it down and I'm looking forward to whatever you do with it. Many of the puzzles are pretty good as is. After my previous reply it occurred to me that one quick repair for soft-locks in a a segment like that, where you have a bit of one-way traversal alongside some damage sources, is to let the player work their way back to the start with one-way gates and grab the Master Sword again that way. So there is a safety net if Link gets hit, but you need to repeat the whole room (or connected set of rooms) instead of being given a Master Sword around every corner, so you still need to play somewhat precisely. Vines work too, of course, and might be what I'd go with in the same place, simply because I'm pretty fussy about not having too many Maker-specific elements like one-way panels visible unless I absolutely need them; I find they clash a bit visually with the original Mario art.

But it sounds like you're doing a fair bit of restructuring anyway so the player doesn't go backwards from the checkpoint quite so much. On one attempt, I respawned and just forgot to do the key room, and didn't notice until I was at the locked door—but that's the kind of issue with flow you're busy fixing already.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pokeys continue being the best part of this update for me and I don't know why. I'm currently working on a very intricate level centered around them that utilizes them in equal part for platforming and puzzle solving.

The hardest part of making levels for me is setting artificial limitations on the length/intricacy of levels. It's been a problem that's haunted me since LittleBigPlanet in 2008. I am capable of limiting myself to designing a level around a few enemy types and obstacles but I find that even my more platform-y levels are really just puzzles in motion rather than a traditionally fast paced Mario level. It's like I'm trying to design Mario levels with a Valve approach to level design and it ends up being way too slow paced for this type of game.

IDK, not sure if anyone else has that mental block.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I find it a bit ironic Pokeys are such a big addition when we've had the ability to stack and attack enemies in a very similar fashion to a Pokey. Although in SM3DW this is a legitimate addition!

I still haven't found time to dig into the update and make levels yet, too many other games to play right now. All the levels I saw on Twitch streams look awesome tho.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Has anyone made any remakes of Zelda dungeons before? I've had an idea to remake a dungeon from either Zelda 1 or Link's Awakening for a little bit, and was curious if anyone had any times pertaining to making levels like this.

Oct 25, 2017
Really wish you could lock the players powerups state and switch to HP or something. Having to constantly put pipes with master swords in them gets annoying

Oct 25, 2017
Pokeys continue being the best part of this update for me and I don't know why. I'm currently working on a very intricate level centered around them that utilizes them in equal part for platforming and puzzle solving.

The hardest part of making levels for me is setting artificial limitations on the length/intricacy of levels. It's been a problem that's haunted me since LittleBigPlanet in 2008. I am capable of limiting myself to designing a level around a few enemy types and obstacles but I find that even my more platform-y levels are really just puzzles in motion rather than a traditionally fast paced Mario level. It's like I'm trying to design Mario levels with a Valve approach to level design and it ends up being way too slow paced for this type of game.

IDK, not sure if anyone else has that mental block.

I'd encourage you to prioritize making the styles of levels that appeal to you. The commonly circulated design principles of a "good" Mario level are really more about shining a light on what kind of expectations a random player will bring in with them about how Mario is supposed to work. (For example, being required to deliberately take damage to get through something will always feel weird to me because Nintendo never makes you do it.) So long as you're aware of that, you can make stage with a highly non-traditional structure or flow, yet still predict how a Mario-trained player will read it from their own learned behaviours. Personally, I like the sound of what you're describing—and I don't remember playing any of yours yet, either, so feel free to point me to your maker ID or any existing creations you want to show off.

I find it a bit ironic Pokeys are such a big addition when we've had the ability to stack and attack enemies in a very similar fashion to a Pokey. Although in SM3DW this is a legitimate addition!

Compared to enemy stacks: Pokeys conserve entity budget, can be taken down in one shot by the head, conserve entity budget, dangle from tracks by the head, conserve entity budget, are fully destroyed by a single POW, conserve entity budget, probably do a whole bunch of other things I haven't tested yet, and conserve entity budget. And in their snowy form they drop snowballs. I think there is quite a lot to distinguish them, and also plenty of room for enemy stacks to remain distinct and useful, not least due to the variations in walking speeds and patterns.

If I have one disappointment with Pokeys, it's that they aren't as interactive as typical enemies—they don't stack with anything or spawn from anything. To put it another way, they seem less capable of surprising me with unexpected uses than the other new elements. I think they'll settle into filling a specific niche once the excitement of new content wears off. For instance, it was interesting to find that every Pokey segment adds one unit of weight on a seesaw (whereas Bullet Blasters of all heights have a standard weight), which might make for an interesting gate or counterweight mechanism.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Compared to enemy stacks: Pokeys conserve entity budget, can be taken down in one shot by the head, conserve entity budget, dangle from tracks by the head, conserve entity budget, are fully destroyed by a single POW, conserve entity budget, probably do a whole bunch of other things I haven't tested yet, and conserve entity budget. And in their snowy form they drop snowballs. I think there is quite a lot to distinguish them, and also plenty of room for enemy stacks to remain distinct and useful, not least due to the variations in walking speeds and patterns.

If I have one disappointment with Pokeys, it's that they aren't as interactive as typical enemies—they don't stack with anything or spawn from anything. To put it another way, they seem less capable of surprising me with unexpected uses than the other new elements. I think they'll settle into filling a specific niche once the excitement of new content wears off. For instance, it was interesting to find that every Pokey segment adds one unit of weight on a seesaw (whereas Bullet Blasters of all heights have a standard weight), which might make for an interesting gate or counterweight mechanism.
Hmm... that's pretty neat actually! I didn't consider track interaction, for example. Are you sure about the reduced entity budget? ;P

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Looks like links arrows don't interact with fire. Was hoping you could make fire arrows to fuck with the ice blocks.

This update has me hooked back in instantly. Trying to make a level with link before I start playing any to see what I can come up with.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Just downloaded the update to check it all out. It's been MONTHS but the game is awesome as always. Made a small Mario/Link level.

Link Minded
FCP-FB4-6TG
If Mario embodies Link, he must think like Link as well.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
God can't stop thinking about ways to use Link's items, can't wait to fiddle around with this after work

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I've fixed the softlock and tweaked a few things, lets try this again!
T7S-HMK-N4G

The key/lock placement near the end now feels substantially better. This level doesn't seem to have caught on yet amidst the current Linkstravaganza—so many Link stages out there, and so many players still poking around in the editor—but given the current likes ratio I think it will rise and go places. Pretty high clear rate, too, considering the relative obscurity of the Muncher-pushing trick—though I've since learnt it was featured in a Ryukahr video that is also one of the top YouTube videos about the patch, so maybe it's well known by now among people who are paying attention; or maybe you're just reaching a more knowledgeable player base first, be it here, on Reddit, or in the pool of players who follow your profile. But I think I've said before with your other levels that you tend to hit higher clear rates than I expect from what you ask from the players technically, partly from the generous safety nets (a novice player is likelier to get stuck in this level than to outright die) and partly from keeping them engaged with aesthetics.

Just downloaded the update to check it all out. It's been MONTHS but the game is awesome as always. Made a small Mario/Link level.

Link Minded
FCP-FB4-6TG

Not bad. I like the lock-before-the-key structure of making it clear to the player what the Link-related locks will be while they're still in Mario form. The flow of returning to retrieve the Master Sword if you lose it is obviously not ideal, but as people get used to designing around Link I think they'll get a better handle on how to make certain progress locks in stages like this, where there is some backtracking (like having additional Master Sword pipes that can only be opened once you already have the Master Sword and access to tools like bombs). The vine placement by the bomb-locked pink coin (preventing Link from pulling out bombs while on ground level) has some very interesting implications for creating situations where you do not want Link to have a bomb, just like how vines worked as a door-blocking device in SMM1.

I'm not sure what I think of the invisible P-switch at the end, though at least it's clear to the player that there has to be a P-switch somewhere within reach of the last gate. It looked like you might be communicating something with the 3-1-2 tree placement in the background there, but I just... jumped and accidentally found the P-switch. Also, I bombed my way into that room from the side instead of trying to do a remote detonation of the on/off to remove the blue block, which looked like it might be the intended solution there.

Dr.Hadji

Apr 21, 2018
Hello Everyone.

Just found this place and I'm looking forward to reviews yall's new levels and I come with gifts.

Rogue Ghost Course ID: CV3-0G7-1HF

Inspired by Skelunk's ghost that appears if you linger too long on a particular floor. Stay too long in any screen and boos will come and make things tough. Don't have many clears besides the other people in my dev group so if its too hard let me know. There are more keys than necessary to complete the level so players and choose their own path. Level as two bonus rooms and two secret items to find.

MMW: On/Off Hard Mode ID: W4Q-PDR-PPG

A simple take on dropping in new level elements. Level difficulty is toggled with the ON/OFF switch. Playing the level in easy mode helps direct the player towards some neat tricks in hard mode. Great bonus room to find as well.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Not bad. I like the lock-before-the-key structure of making it clear to the player what the Link-related locks will be while they're still in Mario form. The flow of returning to retrieve the Master Sword if you lose it is obviously not ideal, but as people get used to designing around Link I think they'll get a better handle on how to make certain progress locks in stages like this, where there is some backtracking (like having additional Master Sword pipes that can only be opened once you already have the Master Sword and access to tools like bombs). The vine placement by the bomb-locked pink coin (preventing Link from pulling out bombs while on ground level) has some very interesting implications for creating situations where you do not want Link to have a bomb, just like how vines worked as a door-blocking device in SMM1.

I'm not sure what I think of the invisible P-switch at the end, though at least it's clear to the player that there has to be a P-switch somewhere within reach of the last gate. It looked like you might be communicating something with the 3-1-2 tree placement in the background there, but I just... jumped and accidentally found the P-switch. Also, I bombed my way into that room from the side instead of trying to do a remote detonation of the on/off to remove the blue block, which looked like it might be the intended solution there.

Thanks for playing :)
And yes the tree placement definitely had meaning behind it haha

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
The update got me to jump back on the horse again. Conceptualized this one before the update came out but it took a lot of finnicking and tweaking to make it work.
mcRqE18.jpg

Pipeline Meltdown
W69-22M-FXF

Follow the path the Lava Bubbles carve through the frozen coins!

(I of course just now noticed that I miss typed 'path' as 'pat' in my official description when I uploaded it, doh)

Basically the whole concept is that one lava bubble carves a path for you while another is in hot pursuit behind you, erasing it. And then there's a fun mad dash at the end. I thought it might make for a wacky multiplayer level so I tagged it as such, I dunno.

I think I'm going to do something with decidedly fewer tracks next time.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
i wasn't planning on doing any link business, but I've thought of something that warrants picking up the master sword, based on a true test of courage...

The update got me to jump back on the horse again. Conceptualized this one before the update came out but it took a lot of finnicking and tweaking to make it work.
mcRqE18.jpg

Pipeline Meltdown
W69-22M-FXF

(I of course just now noticed that I miss typed 'path' as 'pat' in my official description when I uploaded it, doh)

Basically the whole concept is that one lava bubble carves a path for you while another is in hot pursuit behind you, erasing it. And then there's a fun mad dash at the end. I thought it might make for a wacky multiplayer level so I tagged it as such, I dunno.

I dug the second half a lot, it's pretty much where my mind immediately went after seeing the iced coins addition.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Joining all the cool kids with my Zelda themed level. 4 puzzle rooms, nothing particularly technical I think.

FCC-0QB-H9G

The new update finally got me to buy a pro controller as my joy-con drift was driving me nuts and I'd somehow lost my contact cleaner.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I hate how addicted to this game I am. Even after royally pissing me off with the Maker Points change the rest of the update still got me hooked. Can't stay away :/ I'm definitely not going to be grinding my rank like I was before though.

So I made a new level.

SMB3 inspired traditional stage set in the ground night theme as I have never used it until now. It's short, a solid speed run candidate and also contains a hidden expert path if you want to further test yourself and the level design. I opted for this over increasing the length and difficulty of the stage overall since my levels has been getting a bit too long for traditional stages. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Course Name: Midnight Munchers

Course ID: C88-C62-GKF

Feedback

My latest stage has probably involved more testing to ensure it works than any other I've made.
Trying to plan for varied player pace in an autoscroller can be a pain, I'm thinking "surely no one would hug the front of the screen in an autoscroller!" But you just never know.

so if anyone finds anything dangerously at fault here I'll actually go back and fix it, in any case...
Boulder Smoulder
74F D9Q-PHG

An obligatory spike stage with a hint of dash pads.

Hopefully by the weekend I'll have a laptop again so I'll actually give proper feedback and also pretty up this stage drop with an image.

Really good level. The sense of progression is strong in this one. You take spikeballs and really run with the concept. I loved it.

I just hope it's not too tricky to figure out the solutions, or to perform them. It is quite difficult though, I bet.

[

You have a good grasp of the games mechanics with the scroll stop and such but the dungeon layout needs a lot of stream lining. The very first part is confusing it itself with having to break the upper ceiling but with no good place to lay a bomb. And then the layering is so thick It makes players feel like that couldn't be the solution. In addition the climb to the top with the spike helmet feels too long. I think the core of the level is fine but the playability could be improved. I think that will come as Link's abilities and interactions are better understood. In general for a level like this I think the sections or challenges need to be very bite sized. I feel like parts of this go on for too long. Still got a like from me though.

Ok I've fixed the softlock and tweaked a few things, lets try this again!
T7S-HMK-N4G

Good level. Probably in the top 5 Link levels I've played. I think this one trades being super puzzling for playability and I think it works to make a better level. I like all the small puzzles in this one, especially the arrow P switch into bomb on/off switch. These felt like tiny Zelda challenges. The map was cute too. I see it trended and picked up some steam.

Link Minded
FCP-FB4-6TG

This was solid. Pretty straight forward use of abilities. Not gonna lie though, that hidden block in that room wasn't doing it for me. I'm sure there was some sort of visual cue I was suppose to notice but either way, I am not big on hiding any kind of keys in hidden blocks unless its a mirror level.

mcRqE18.jpg

Pipeline Meltdown
W69-22M-FXF

Conceptually very cool. I enjoyed this one a lot. I think I liked the first section more than the second but both were great.

Anyone want to test their arrow shooting? Well how about doing it in free fall?

Code: 3NG-QB9-XLG

Pics if you can't play the video:

ELSAZm9U8AA39Wa
ELSAZmfUEAEdfJL

ELSAZmyU4AEEA-6
ELSAZmrVUAAfVxE

This was dece. I am not huge on the shoot the on off switches and if you miss the last one in the first free fall you die. Nor am I a fan of that bowser free fall with lava at the bottom that if you aren't expecting you just die. And the bowser fight felt too strung out having to do it mostly with arrows. The best part was the red coin shooting. I enjoyed that the most. I think either more shooting gallery stuff like that or if you want the difficulty there making sure the player isn't blind sided will be important to note for future levels.

My newest Mario maker level that is Zelda themed

Code is 9y1-gb6-s4g

Name of the level " Zelda: the adventure of 9 coins"

The level is honestly too long. I needed a full timer to beat it after doing 1/2 of it on a previous run. I'm talking 8 mins 18s on an 8min 20s full timer. You would be better off cutting it to 5 or 6 coins and strengthening those sections. Some of the areas needed some fleshing out and maybe some arrows. The room with the magikoopa and the p switch run to the boom booms could be cut with no loss at all to the levels quality. The level is suppose to be sort of open world I understand but the timer is not generous enough for the amount of stuff you have crammed in here.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I hate how addicted to this game I am. Even after royally pissing me off with the Maker Points change the rest of the update still got me hooked. Can't stay away :/ I'm definitely not going to be grinding my rank like I was before though.

So I made a new level.

SMB3 inspired traditional stage set in the ground night theme as I have never used it until now. It's short, a solid speed run candidate and also contains a hidden expert path if you want to further test yourself and the level design. I opted for this over increasing the length and difficulty of the stage overall since my levels has been getting a bit too long for traditional stages. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Feedback

Really good level. The sense of progression is strong in this one. You take spikeballs and really run with the concept. I loved it.

You have a good grasp of the games mechanics with the scroll stop and such but the dungeon layout needs a lot of stream lining. The very first part is confusing it itself with having to break the upper ceiling but with no good place to lay a bomb. And then the layering is so thick It makes players feel like that couldn't be the solution. In addition the climb to the top with the spike helmet feels too long. I think the core of the level is fine but the playability could be improved. I think that will come as Link's abilities and interactions are better understood. In general for a level like this I think the sections or challenges need to be very bite sized. I feel like parts of this go on for too long. Still got a like from me though.

Good level. Probably in the top 5 Link levels I've played. I think this one trades being super puzzling for playability and I think it works to make a better level. I like all the small puzzles in this one, especially the arrow P switch into bomb on/off switch. These felt like tiny Zelda challenges. The map was cute too. I see it trended and picked up some steam.

This was solid. Pretty straight forward use of abilities. Not gonna lie though, that hidden block in that room wasn't doing it for me. I'm sure there was some sort of visual cue I was suppose to notice but either way, I am not big on hiding any kind of keys in hidden blocks unless its a mirror level.

Conceptually very cool. I enjoyed this one a lot. I think I liked the first section more than the second but both were great.

This was dece. I am not huge on the shoot the on off switches and if you miss the last one in the first free fall you die. Nor am I a fan of that bowser free fall with lava at the bottom that if you aren't expecting you just die. And the bowser fight felt too strung out having to do it mostly with arrows. The best part was the red coin shooting. I enjoyed that the most. I think either more shooting gallery stuff like that or if you want the difficulty there making sure the player isn't blind sided will be important to note for future levels.

The level is honestly too long. I needed a full timer to beat it after doing 1/2 of it on a previous run. I'm talking 8 mins 18s on an 8min 20s full timer. You would be better off cutting it to 5 or 6 coins and strengthening those sections. Some of the areas needed some fleshing out and maybe some arrows. The room with the magikoopa and the p switch run to the boom booms could be cut with no loss at all to the levels quality. The level is suppose to be sort of open world I understand but the timer is not generous enough for the amount of stuff you have crammed in here.

Thanks for the feedback! I can definitely make some more levels with the red coin shooting. Got some more ideas I'm brainstorming to make throughout the week.

Tried showing the skulls to the right of Bowser to warn the players but the free falling speed may have been too fast. And yeah the overall fight was pretty strung out. It's funny because I was inspired by the first Ridley fight in Metroid Prime 3 where it was also free fall battle and I thought that was pretty strung out too lol.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
2 levels I made this week end. I didn't go for a Zelda level since there seem to be so many lately and instead rather tried some of the new elements and ennemies.
It is so depressing to have so few people playing your levels lol, please give them a try, thx !

May 5, 2018
I made a quick speed run level using the snow pokeys, Spikes and putting a big emphasis on sliding and hopping on enemies. It's pretty quick and momentum based. Here's the code if anyone wants to give it a try:

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
2 levels I made this week end. I didn't go for a Zelda level since there seem to be so many lately and instead rather tried some of the new elements and ennemies.
It is so depressing to have so few people playing your levels lol, please give them a try, thx !

Just gave Snow Fun a try. Some thoughts:

Fun level that presents a good understanding of Mario level design conventions. However, you can soft lock yourself at the end of the level by jumping on top of the Pokey's heads! I thought their positioning was indicating a secret, but it actually trapped me behind the exit with no way to win other than waiting on the timer or dying.

Always be sure to playtest your levels, or have friends help you! I always have my roommate, friends, and girlfriend play TF out of my levels before I upload them. With some proper playtesting, I can see some awesome levels coming your way :)

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
GokouD Saw your thread at reddit but prefer talking here. They definitely did something to the popular tab and it's awful. Levels with less than 40 likes and a good like to play ratio should not be appearing in the popular tab. Like my maker points issue, this shit is pointless and did not need to be changed. The quality of levels in the tab has taken a major nose dive all of a sudden.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I made another course featuring Spike and Pokey. This time I included some ice coins too. I feel better about this course than the last one I uploaded at the very least.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
6qqYuAo.png

Link's Desert Descent
Course ID: 3N2-NJR-6LG
Difficulty: Expert

I don't think I've ever seen anyone combine downward autoscroll with the night desert theme's wind effect. There's probably a reason for that, but I wanted to do something with Link that wasn't just the same thing everyone else is making. It was kind of an interesting experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Pipeline Meltdown
W69-22M-FXF

Once of the nicest things about seeing people come back to the game is that I'm catching up on profiles that I originally missed in their entirety, for whatever reason, and yours was one of them. (It might have been because half your levels were from the period when I was buried up to my neck in Fire Emblem instead.) Your latest was very good and enticed me to play through your entire set from start to finish. You're one of several makers here who has really figured out how to make an easy level with generous head room and safety nets still feel like a densely packed experience that is interesting from moment to moment, and not always in the same way: sometimes with the aesthetic, sometimes with the overall flow, sometimes with the core interaction even if most of these are pretty traditional.

There is one specific thing that strikes me as well tested about these levels, particularly those with a vertical section, and it's that the decoration always makes it clear when it's safe to go down, even when I can't see a platform. (I complain about that endlessly with novice makers who don't pay attention to the camera.) Likewise, the 1-up placements and power-up progression are all very intuitive, and there's a satisfying reliability to popping invisible blocks or question blocks and having the level respond as I predicted every time.

As for the latest level, I hinted at this already in a comment card, but for me what works about it is that it's actually a variant of a moving-platform concept where there is a clear "head" ahead of you and a "tail" behind you that forms a safe zone, only here the head and tail move in independent (but highly visible) patterns. So this rewards the player for reading the situation and planning ahead like they would with a snake-block level, and you provide just enough of a lead time to read everything while keeping a bit of tension going on in the back. I liked the Fire Flower section, too, as you have to hit the button judiciously and not just spam fireballs to the point of destroying your own route.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished up my first 2.0 level. It's a Zelda dungeon with spike balls, seesaws, and darkness to deal with. I had to delete the level and clear check it again because of a misplaced semisolid and then as soon as I uploaded it I noticed another one... Luckily it's in the dark part of the level so hopefully no one will notice it.

The Dark Dungeon of Damocles
M0S-2N0-C2H
Delve into the Dingy Depths and Defeat the Dangerous Demons within!

I felt like I was breaking the level but that turned out to be the way it was supposed to be solved. I would suggest doing a bit more to signal some of the puzzles, particularly the first one, breaking that ceiling is very unituitive, especially since it was two hard blocks tall when I think a single hard block would have done better. With two hard blocks, the player was basically forced to damage boost by jumping into the hole above the semi-solid and that just feels wrong

Link Minded
FCP-FB4-6TG

I liked it up until I softlocked myself by jumping into the last room after getting hit by one of the dry bones. If you added a 1 way gate so you could go back and get the master sword again I would have beaten it and liked it more.
mcRqE18.jpg

Pipeline Meltdown
W69-22M-FXF

Great concept and nice aesthetics, had a good time
Anyone want to test their arrow shooting? Well how about doing it in free fall?

Code: 3NG-QB9-XLG

Pics if you can't play the video:

ELSAZm9U8AA39Wa
ELSAZmfUEAEdfJL

ELSAZmyU4AEEA-6
ELSAZmrVUAAfVxE

Cool idea, very tricky. The one thing I would have changed was the bowser fight, I think that would have been a good opportunity to throw in some note blocks and bouncing mechanics too rather than just letting the player sit on top of the pipe and take pretty easy shots.

So I made a new level.

Interesting having two totally separate levels in one. I was surprised how much I liked the note block and spiny section, it was the kind of thing that looked like it should be hot garbage but it played surprisingly well, which I think shows how a good maker can make even a hellish set of obstacles fun to tackle.
I made a quick speed run level using the snow pokeys, Spikes and putting a big emphasis on sliding and hopping on enemies. It's pretty quick and momentum based. Here's the code if anyone wants to give it a try:

Neat, the kind of speedrun level I would love to have show up in endless

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
6qqYuAo.png

Link's Desert Descent

I don't think I've ever seen anyone combine downward autoscroll with the night desert theme's wind effect. There's probably a reason for that, but I wanted to do something with Link that wasn't just the same thing everyone else is making. It was kind of an interesting experience.

Well, this level is going to blow up. I'm 100% positive. This is fucking phenomenal man. You created something wholly unique and extremely fun. Great job for real.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
mcRqE18.jpg

Pipeline Meltdown
W69-22M-FXF

Nice course! At the fire flower part I was too afraid of melting the platform below me at first haha.

Oct 28, 2017
Big Bertha's Treadmill Lagoon

T3S-X1M-57G

Hop on the treadmill & go for a swim. Just be careful to not get swallowed whole!

I made most of this course before the update, but there is a bonus room with the dash pad.

Anyways, I thought Big Bertha was the name of the big fish in SMB3, but apparently its Boss Bass? Is this some Berenstain Bears thing?

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Big Bertha's Treadmill Lagoon

T3S-X1M-57G

Hop on the treadmill & go for a swim. Just be careful to not get swallowed whole!

I made most of this course before the update, but there is a bonus room with the dash pad.

Anyways, I thought Big Bertha was the name of the big fish in SMB3, but apparently its Boss Bass? Is this some Berenstain Bears thing?
Nice, I like the idea behind the course! I admit the last quarter with the floating fish didn't work as well as the rest of the level, but I liked the swimming chase part :).

Here's my course if folks want to try it out
Haunted Key Mansion v2
4PR-M5K-X0H

Find the 3 Key Coins to escape the mysterious mansion!

Oct 25, 2017
Link's Desert Descent

This is a great example of what I'm hoping to see when I say that not very many people are designing around the Master Sword as a platforming power-up. Well, this level pulls it off in style. Great pacing and sense of identity, with good sword placements throughout: I did get a hit a few times but always in locations that felt survivable because the next sword was immediately ahead. It's nice to have a chance to desperately scramble for recovery. The main source of difficulty here, as I'm sure you know from clear-checking it yourself, is in the archery—or rather, in the way that any kind of positional adjustment (like the sort you need to do constantly to compensate for wind) has a way of totally throwing off your firing angle or intended arc. But the thing that works about it is that the intended firing position is always pretty clear and doesn't take a lot of trial-and-error guesswork, even if you're like me and you're a very poor shot so far. This truly comes off as a Mario level with Link's abilities, and I've seen frightfully little of that so far—certainly not executed so well.

Just finished up my first 2.0 level. It's a Zelda dungeon with spike balls, seesaws, and darkness to deal with. I had to delete the level and clear check it again because of a misplaced semisolid and then as soon as I uploaded it I noticed another one... Luckily it's in the dark part of the level so hopefully no one will notice it.

The Dark Dungeon of Damocles
M0S-2N0-C2H
Delve into the Dingy Depths and Defeat the Dangerous Demons within!

This is the first level I've played so far that gets substantial use out of Link's high bounce off spiked balls, which I was looking forward to seeing, as it was one of the first things I tested once the update dropped (shortly before it made such a huge splash on Aurateur's stream, which is where I really began to see it spread). Your levels tend to be pretty technical even for me, while strictly remaining in the "standard" zone of non-Kaizo technique, but this one is on the forgiving side for you—perhaps because I already knew the technique going in—and also one of the cleanest stages I can remember you putting up, in terms of pacing and flow. Loved the experience, and I managed to get into the bonus room on my first try.

I felt like I cheesed the first Boom Boom fight by standing in a safe spot under the Master Sword pipe, never getting on the seesaw, and just pelting him with arrows. Well, whatever works. Also, after spending the whole level training the player to bounce of spiked balls, it did seem like a bit of a concern that one might get enough off a bounce off the ball to lock oneself in Boom Boom's chamber up top, but I didn't test this myself to see if it's possible. With a sufficiently precise player, you never know.

As for the second Boom Boom fight, it wasn't clear to me if I needed both keys, so I got both anyway. I think the ending accommodated this about as well as it could, by only requiring one key but acknowledging the player after the flag if they had two. I was able to read this encounter pretty straightforwardly as "hit the on/off switches back and forth until something good happens" but I doubt it will be as obvious to people who haven't played enough Mario Maker to see a lot of survival fights.

Last edited:

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
GokouD Saw your thread at reddit but prefer talking here. They definitely did something to the popular tab and it's awful. Levels with less than 40 likes and a good like to play ratio should not be appearing in the popular tab. Like my maker points issue, this shit is pointless and did not need to be changed. The quality of levels in the tab has taken a major nose dive all of a sudden.
Yeah, I think it can be argued that it needs to be easier for levels to get a bit of exposure, because it was pretty much impossible for a level to end up in the chart without promoting it in some way, but this has gone too far the other way. The reason levels in the popular chart got a lot of plays was because there was a certain guarantee of quality, so it was worth playing them. If the chart is flooded with stuff which may or may not be good, I think people will just not bother to play any of them as much. Fingers crossed this is just some bug or unintended consequence...

I wish I had more time to play all the cool looking levels being posted on here but the little one has decided the evenings are his awake and grumpy time again!