• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
1) You can use your sword to raise the springs and under instead of jumping over them

2) You have to take the bomb out earlier. It should be out on the second platform with the pirahna plant. Dont hug the wall and jump either. Slows you down.

3) you lose time landing on the green pipe after you kill the 2 pirahna plants. Got to clean that up.

There are more optimizations but these 3 will get you under 30.

I got to 29.993 and I think I need to tap out. I can't do the stab the springs to run under them with any kind of consistency and I ended up skipping the part where you jump up by the Piranha Plants and just went underneath in my 29 second run.

How does Nintendo decide how many stars you get anyway?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I got to 29.993 and I think I need to tap out. I can't do the stab the springs to run under them with any kind of consistency and I ended up skipping the part where you jump up by the Piranha Plants and just went underneath in my 29 second run.

How does Nintendo decide how many stars you get anyway?

Its unknown currently. After this speedrun we'll have a better idea.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I have not been able to reverse the trend of poorly performing levels lately. It's really weird. I don't feel like I've done anything particularly different but the last few level's I've made have performed really poorly especially my latest as soon as it hit the popular tab. That one stings since I think it's one of my best courses. I normally don't have any issue breaking 100 likes but my last 2 have struggled mightily. I dunno if I'm still fucking up the difficulty or maybe the levels themselves just aren't that good.

If anyone who hasn't played it wants to give it a try:

Course Name: Pipeworks Oil Rig

Course ID: B7X-TVN-KGF

Last edited:

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
I have not been able to reverse the trend of poorly performing levels lately. It's really weird. I don't feel like I've done anything particularly different but the last few level's I've made have performed really poorly especially my latest as soon as it hit the popular tab. That one stings since I think it's one of my best courses. I normally don't have any issue breaking 100 likes but my last 2 have struggled mightily. I dunno if I'm still fucking up the difficulty or maybe the levels themselves just aren't that good.

If anyone who hasn't played it wants to give it a try:

Course Name: Pipeworks Oil Rig

Course ID: B7X-TVN-KGF
I know what you mean, since the update is it does seem a lot harder to get plays, none of mine have got the traction I would have expected either. It could just be that there's a lot more levels in the mix now, it was very difficult to get anything to stick in the charts the first few weeks the game was out too. Your level was good in my opinion, it was quite hard though. I think there were a couple of spots where the ceiling was low and there were a lot of fire spitting plants around. Really nice looking too.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Rainbow Rush Galaxy SP

XQK-VN2-M6G

Just a dumb fizzy speedrun. I actually uploaded this a while back but it totally bombed, so I've made a few tweaks to make it flow better, and added in some Pokeys and Spike balls because why not? Enjoy!

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I know what you mean, since the update is it does seem a lot harder to get plays, none of mine have got the traction I would have expected either. It could just be that there's a lot more levels in the mix now, it was very difficult to get anything to stick in the charts the first few weeks the game was out too. Your level was good in my opinion, it was quite hard though. I think there were a couple of spots where the ceiling was low and there were a lot of fire spitting plants around. Really nice looking too.

Ahh, so I'm still fucking up the difficulty. I didnt think it was difficulty but when I looked a the clears they were way lower than I expected. Shame because I think the visuals are one of the most unique I have done. May be the first thing I consider reuploading.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I think I played pipeworks oil rig, if something is tripping players up I'm guessing it's surprisingly the green cheep cheeps that tend to pop up alongside the spikes on multiple occasions, that's the one thing I can recall off my head at least, even though on paper it's nothing that should be too problematic.

There were a few bridge sections with that setup, maybe start with just the spike, then spike and one cheep cheep the next time and lastly spike and the double near the end, this is assuming I'm remembering the stage to have three small stretches like this.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
I don't know. I speedrunned the course, so I played it several times finding the optimal route and didn't find it particular hard. The higher you are, the easier it is. Swimming on the ground is pretty nasty, tho. The comments praise the course, so everything is fine.
The game definitely changed. For better or worse. Same as the community. You still have thousands of course uploads daily, but I think a lot of players also moved on.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Oh I think I played pipeworks oil rig, if something is tripping players up I'm guessing it's surprisingly the green cheep cheeps that tend to pop up alongside the spikes on multiple occasions, that's the one thing I can recall off my head at least, even though on paper it's nothing that should be too problematic.

There were a few bridge sections with that setup, maybe start with just the spike, then spike and one cheep cheep the next time and lastly spike and the double near the end, this is assuming I'm remembering the stage to have three small stretches like this.

You are remembering correctly. I could just change the section to an enemy that doesn't pop out. The main point of that was speed running the level has some pretty specific timing so some of the setups were to emphasize success there. Something to reconsider I suppose

I don't know. I speedrunned the course, so I played it several times finding the optimal route and didn't find it particular hard. The higher you are, the easier it is. Swimming on the ground is pretty nasty, tho. The comments praise the course, so everything is fine.
The game definitely changed. For better or worse. Same as the community. You still have thousands of course uploads daily, but I think a lot of players also moved on.

Yeah, the original idea was it was suppose to be sort of sonic inspired where the top route is fast and the bottom route is slower and a bit more difficult to make up for the fact that you move way slower through it. But I guess I just went too hard on the bottom path difficulty. Someone had mentioned high enemy density. Dunno, I think it's one of my favourite courses from a visuals, route and speedrunning standpoint so that's probably why I'm over exaggerating. You and GokouD are right though, since the update I've found my stuff and the general vibe has changed. I'll still keep trucking along though.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I have a couple of new uploads to share. I was working on a collaborative "world" project for another forum and the level I came up with felt a bit too hard for a traditional Mario world. It's a winter night level designed around snowballs and springs flinging the player into pits. I was worried about it being too frustrating so I took the bones of the level design I had and remixed it into a normal difficulty course and uploaded both versions. For the normal course I replaced the original gimmick entirely so rather than just have an easy and hard version of the same course they should kind of feel like different experiences to anyone who plays both. It was a fun little thing to experiment with and I'll be interested to see the difference in reception.

HCM - Winter Summerland
Course ID: VFR-WSX-1SF
Difficulty: Normal

Winter Blunderland
Course ID: LPK-TXK-TFF
Difficulty: Expert

There's definitely been a bit of a shift. I've noticed what seems like a smaller like ratio even on courses that have historically been popular, and also a lot less reciprocal plays from people. Maybe a lot of the less casual players have moved on and the ones that are still aorund have played enough that it takes more to stand out to them. Of course the popular tab has always been pretty harsh on traditional Mario levels in general. You have to hit just the right mix of easy, short and novel for the popular tab players to appreciate them. I played your course when you uploaded it and thought it was good. I may have died a couple of times but I wouldn't say you missed the mark on difficulty. Based on the current clear rate you're probably just on the border of normal and expert.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
I will be going online to stream more Mario Maker if you wanna come hang out!

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I have a couple of new uploads to share. I was working on a collaborative "world" project for another forum and the level I came up with felt a bit too hard for a traditional Mario world. It's a winter night level designed around snowballs and springs flinging the player into pits. I was worried about it being too frustrating so I took the bones of the level design I had and remixed it into a normal difficulty course and uploaded both versions. For the normal course I replaced the original gimmick entirely so rather than just have an easy and hard version of the same course they should kind of feel like different experiences to anyone who plays both. It was a fun little thing to experiment with and I'll be interested to see the difference in reception.

HCM - Winter Summerland

Winter Blunderland

I like them both!!

I think I like Blunderland more as the difficulty is more up my alley and it feels like the more creative originally conceived level but Summerland is good too and the difficulty is definitely more player friendly. Great levels.

There's definitely been a bit of a shift. I've noticed what seems like a smaller like ratio even on courses that have historically been popular, and also a lot less reciprocal plays from people. Maybe a lot of the less casual players have moved on and the ones that are still aorund have played enough that it takes more to stand out to them. Of course the popular tab has always been pretty harsh on traditional Mario levels in general. You have to hit just the right mix of easy, short and novel for the popular tab players to appreciate them. I played your course when you uploaded it and thought it was good. I may have died a couple of times but I wouldn't say you missed the mark on difficulty. Based on the current clear rate you're probably just on the border of normal and expert.

It's good to get positive feedback from the community since I have been pretty down on my levels for the last little bit. I don't feel like they are lacking but judging your own work is sort of blind. I know traditional levels don't generally pick up a lot of steam on the popular tab especially if they are harder but the last few misfires have felt like there has been something else at play. I have gotten very good feedback from here, reddit and streamers on those levels though so I guess I gotta live with the results. As long as some audience is enjoying the levels.

Edit: Also, got 27.775 in the Ninji Speedrun. Phew, I knew I could break 28s but I don't see myself getting lower than that in 1 day.

Last edited:

solarhorse

Jul 4, 2019
Merry Christmas everyone! Enjoy these three one-screen puzzles that I made. I tried designing them in such a way that you wouldn't have to restart constantly if you did a single thing wrong.

One screen puzzle, Sink or swim
BPR-FP7-Q6G

One screen puzzle, On a roll
X80-RKD-S2G

One screen puzzle, Tunic time
4J4-GDH-V9G

Also, I think there's something wrong with On a roll, no-one likes it. If anyone could figure out what's wrong with it I'd be very grateful.

Walk The Dog
9HJ-14W-LFF
This is a cool idea, and it actually inspired me to make one of my puzzles, but I found it a little too hard to manipulate the ball without it breaking. It's kind of frustrating when you lose it and have to go back to get a new one.

Spike's Timber Tower
WGM-5SD-V0H
Very nice level, I liked that it stuck to a persistent theme and going back down again after the long climb was oddly satisfying.

HCM - Winter Summerland

Winter Blunderland
I definitely preferred summer land to blunderland. Blunderland was too frustrating right off the bat whereas summer land is breezier and more fun.
Also, the hidden message was lovely, merry Xmas to you too.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Probably my last course of the year, based on my current pace:
13gyZcz.jpg

The Great Keychain Wall
0VL-6VT-PTF

"Four Keys are needed to proceed but the key-bearers have to be coaxed out."

Maybe a kind of polarizing level, it's quite long and I dunno if the gimmick will be immediately obvious. It's based on an old idea I had of a 'key run' of sorts, as well as an attempt to make something I found visually interesting with the NSMB style (which I find rather dull overall). So it's kind of a large wall in some ruins or something? Semi-solid platforms kind of fascinate me more than they honestly probably should, and here they form a complicated matrix that is kind of intentionally difficult to navigate.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
13gyZcz.jpg

The Great Keychain Wall
0VL-6VT-PTF

Maybe a kind of polarizing level, it's quite long and I dunno if the gimmick will be immediately obvious. It's based on an old idea I had of a 'key run' of sorts, as well as an attempt to make something I found visually interesting with the NSMB style (which I find rather dull overall). So it's kind of a large wall in some ruins or something? Semi-solid platforms kind of fascinate me more than they honestly probably should, and here they form a complicated matrix that is kind of intentionally difficult to navigate.

Nice theme you got there and beautiful asthetics. Was fun to explore to get all keys and the secret bonus room and also fun to speedrun, although I am not totally sure yet which route is the fastest (or rather which keys). As long as my WR is not broken, it doesn't matter tho. ;)
Very cool course and spawn block shenanigans.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Chyo. I'm back with a new level. This one is a cool SMB3 airship theme auto scroll with a visual style I don't think I've seen before. It's basically a giant icy battlefield that is currently being excavated. I dodge all the current machines and then actually go into some of the ships that froze over. There are 3 big coins to collect. Difficulty should be medium I imagine. 10% clear rate or so. Higher would be better but not expecting that. Would love if you all would try it and give feedback.

Course Name: Discovery on Frigid Field

Course ID: D6K-L5F-WXF

Last edited:

Stevo

Jan 29, 2019
Water tiles would be a game changer. Really hoping they make it in.

Especially since, if my memory serves me, there were mid-air 'water squares' in Mario Land 2.

I'd also like more control over raising and lowering the water level at specific areas rather than only adjusting the rhythmic rise and fall.

Water tiles would be a game changer. Really hoping they make it in.

Cool level. There was one part soon after getting the leaf that I jumped on a semi-solid under a solid, flanked with two cannons and had to take a hit from a spanner to get down through the single square space. :(

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Rainbow Rush Galaxy SP

XQK-VN2-M6G

Just a dumb fizzy speedrun. I actually uploaded this a while back but it totally bombed, so I've made a few tweaks to make it flow better, and added in some Pokeys and Spike balls because why not? Enjoy!

Fun little speed run. I enjoy the non speedrun versions of it more though haha.

Merry Christmas everyone! Enjoy these three one-screen puzzles that I made. I tried designing them in such a way that you wouldn't have to restart constantly if you did a single thing wrong.

One screen puzzle, Sink or swim
BPR-FP7-Q6G

One screen puzzle, On a roll
X80-RKD-S2G

Also, I think there's something wrong with On a roll, no-one likes it. If anyone could figure out what's wrong with it I'd be very grateful.

I played these 2. Very enjoyable levels. I think with On a roll people just get initially confused with the see saw mechanic. It just takes a bit to figure it out. Very reasonable level difficulty though

This is a cool idea, and it actually inspired me to make one of my puzzles, but I found it a little too hard to manipulate the ball without it breaking. It's kind of frustrating when you lose it and have to go back to get a new one.

13gyZcz.jpg

The Great Keychain Wall
0VL-6VT-PTF

Very cool level and shows how you can create an awesome looking level out of any of the themes or styles, you just have to have a vision. The way the level flips is brilliant. I really enjoyed how it became an enemy key hunt once you navigate the level once to know the layout.

Watercourse Contest
69Q-186-RXG
(Super Mario Bros. forest theme)

Easy and breezy, I liked it.

Especially since, if my memory serves me, there were mid-air 'water squares' in Mario Land 2.

I'd also like more control over raising and lowering the water level at specific areas rather than only adjusting the rhythmic rise and fall.

Yeah, SMB3 also had some pools of water mid level like in 4-1

Cool level. There was one part soon after getting the leaf that I jumped on a semi-solid under a solid, flanked with two cannons and had to take a hit from a spanner to get down through the single square space. :(

Hmm, guess I missed that. I checked a lot to see if I had any softlocks but one always slips through I suppose.

Last edited:

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Went the cheap way to get plays.
69 shades of grey:
Jbq-lg6-myg

Use the Gameboy fireflower thing to get all 69 coins. Nearly everything is grey. Annoyingly there's no grey pipes.

Last edited:

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I've had this game since launch but despite loving the original on Wii U and making my own levels on that, I hadn't touched Create mode on this until literally this week. My brother picked the game up over Christmas and asked me to try his level, and it got me making one in return...

I was shocked to find that Nintendo don't have a level sharing / search website up. They had the Super Mario Maker Bookmark site for the original, I thought maybe they might have added something in the Nintendo Switch Online app instead - but... nothing. Seems crazy!

I made a level where you are supposed to collect 8 coins in order to reach the goal - you can technically reach it after you defeat Boom Boom, but if you're completionist try and get them all:

881-PWP-8XF

The clear rate is 0% at the moment, but I haven't had many plays. There's a section with two one way platforms and a spring, if you're having trouble with it and need help, you can get to this area as small mario by jumping from the last ledge of the hollow semi circular platform - just before the spikes, or by bouncing on a bullet bill as big mario (you will hit the ceiling spikes and become small with this method). To advance from here, stand against the ice block below the one-way platform and jump up and left towards the spring, releasing the left-button as soon as you hit the spring - the spring will propel you across the ice blocks and down to the pipe.

Another tip: There is a P Block in this level that reveals a door and you have to be quick getting to it to retrieve a power up you'll need later too.

Happy to make adjustments if you guys think its not easy / obvious enough!

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
What is with people stealing keys online and running away from the goal? It's really not fun.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I was flooded with so much emotions, that I played it through 3 times seeing all the gripping choices available to me.
After a lot of contemplation on the stage's message I see now that Mario could be so much more, we should feel the weight of emotions instead of the weight of his boots crushing enemies...or are they?

I eagerly await the Jak 2 homage, MAR 2 featuring driving the koopa car through a gritty fort of bill blasters to KILL Baron Boom Boom.

while development took slightly longer than expected, i hope you enjoy my attempt at what it felt like to play through naughty dogs's breakthrough cinematic third-person shooter hit, jak ii:

The Jak II Experience
LY3-Q16-7SG

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Thwomp mines. I was pretty pleased with the theme/atmosphere of this. Will eventually do a follow up going vertically but can't seem to get my head around doing that yet.
Ojb-wbt-ytf

I didn't mean it to be difficult but the first dry bones has killed a few of those that have played it. I think I might be overestimating people's Mario skills.

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
while development took slightly longer than expected, i hope you enjoy my attempt at what it felt like to play through naughty dogs's breakthrough cinematic third-person shooter hit, jak ii:

The Jak II Experience
LY3-Q16-7SG
I started this stage without a soul patch, I finished with one and wanting to KILL Baron Praxis.

All I hoped for was a trip through a crash heavy maze via 3D World's Koopa Car and not only did I get exactly that, I also got the obligatory token tribute to platforming for the briefest moment to remind me of what could've been before being funnelled back into hub hell.
A true tribute to DA GNAWTY GAWDS Magnum Opus.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Made a couple of levels-
VM4-N4H-H5G Coin collection 1
QR0-PVB-M0H Coin collection - Skewer Fun!
V5M-WJG-27G Night Flying

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just made a new level, a don't touch the ground autoscroller in Mario 3. Please don't be scared away by that description, it's a little tough by fair and pretty short.

Fly Fabulously or Face Failure!
V11-RXK-CFG
A Flight of Fancy, but if you Fall to the Floor the Finale will Fade!

The Jak II Experience
LY3-Q16-7SG
What a thrilling, cinematic experience. If you ever make a sequel it should involve more driving
Thwomp mines. I was pretty pleased with the theme/atmosphere of this. Will eventually do a follow up going vertically but can't seem to get my head around doing that yet.
Ojb-wbt-ytf

I didn't mean it to be difficult but the first dry bones has killed a few of those that have played it. I think I might be overestimating people's Mario skills.
There's definitely enough going on that it gets pretty challenging once the bones start flying. I think a lot of people get turned off by any "collect all the __" clear conditions, since it usually means that you have to do everything in the level to beat it.
Made a couple of levels-
V5M-WJG-27G Night Flying
I liked the skewer one the best. These would be fun levels to play in multiplayer vs
Had fun reimagining Whomp's Fortress from sm64

Might try and do every level

Whomp's Fortress SMM64 - D2C-0MN-3GG
A Super Mario 64 themed level without the slide music? You monster

I liked it but you should watch out for camera placement with your thwomps, some of them show up so briefly on screen before activating that it can be tough to deal with, especially since there weren't any mushrooms for players to use

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Just made a new level, a don't touch the ground autoscroller in Mario 3. Please don't be scared away by that description, it's a little tough by fair and pretty short.

V11-RXK-CFG

I gave this a number of attempts but wasn't able to feel like I was progressing from attempt to attempt. In fact my best attempt was my second and after that I started to do worse. The big problem is constantly spamming the button to flap your tail gets very fatiguing and the stage just became physically uncomfortable to play. I think switching to the Super Mario World theme where you can glide with the cape would make this a much more pleasant experience.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

The Jak II Experience
LY3-Q16-7SG

I laughed. Such an accurate portrayal of Jak II

Ojb-wbt-ytf

I didn't find it difficult but I think it needs a bit more streamlining and focus. The flow needs a little bit of work. Also, please use the construction sign sound effect far more sparingly. It was overkill here.

I played your other levels as well. I have the same core complaint, sometime you run with too many ideas and too many things happening on screen at a time. The levels would be better pared back a bit. I can see you slowly getting there though. The ice cavern level is definitely your best one.

Fun level, solid foundation for further levels to expand upon.

V11-RXK-CFG

I enjoyed this level. It's visually pretty simple and the short length helps it. I didn't have too much trouble clearing it. I do agree with J Spot though, this think is a thumb killer. I cleared it relatively quickly so I didn't have it too bad but if someone was to get stuck this would be bothersome on the hands. The exact same level in SMW theme probably wouldn't lose much but would alleviate this issue.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Rainbow Rush Galaxy 3
BT5-PG1-M1H

The trilogy conclusion that everyone has really been waiting for! ;) Should be a nice easy romp with lots of fireworks and sparks. Can this one do over 100K plays like the others? I doubt it to be honest! Hopefully it's a fun level though.
If I ever make another one of these, it's going to look the same but be really horribly hard...

Oct 25, 2017
I've been intermittently catching up here while wrapping up Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair—funny how the Ninji Speedruns are doing their job of ensuring I log in regularly and get trapped in this game as always—but before I comment on anything here, I want to make a quick recommendation.

There's this Japanese maker I follow (4GS-0SW-9JF) who some of you might have seen if you pay attention to the leaderboards, as he's sitting at about 20k points and #40 on the all-time chart—so not quite on the level of our local superstars Nocturnowl and GokouD under the current formula, but close. I've played all of his levels, and with most of them, the schtick is that they have a built-in difficulty selection, like a hard/EX mode that is visibly placed right beside the goal as a route you can just try for the heck of it. This means that the clear rates on these levels are totally misleading, in that the main route will be much easier while most of the deaths that tank the clear rate are behind the optional hard-mode gate.

Well, for his latest course, simply entitled Difficulty Choice (BRG-Q6Q-BBG), he takes this a step further: this level has three overlapping difficulties with different layers of obstacles, safety nets, and checkpoint placements that all share the same layout from start to finish, now that you can use on/off switches to control one layer (as before) and the new P-blocks to control a second layer. It's very well implemented, and the hardest mode is still fairly traditional, requiring nothing more technical than standard SMW spin jumps. Very clever ending, too.

I spent a bit of time today clearing all three routes just to study how it was put together, and I recommend that others do the same if they want to see a good example of a level that feels very standard to play through, but is powered by some well-placed spawn-block trickery. I've seen a lot of levels from this community that involve routes with two overlapping states, but hadn't really looked into three-state designs using P-blocks, so I think this will interest many of you. It's conceptually easy to understand once you look at it, even without editor access—just very well executed.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I've been intermittently catching up here while wrapping up Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair—funny how the Ninji Speedruns are doing their job of ensuring I log in regularly and get trapped in this game as always—but before I comment on anything here, I want to make a quick recommendation.

There's this Japanese maker I follow (4GS-0SW-9JF) who some of you might have seen if you pay attention to the leaderboards, as he's sitting at about 20k points and #40 on the all-time chart—so not quite on the level of our local superstars Nocturnowl and GokouD under the current formula, but close. I've played all of his levels, and with most of them, the schtick is that they have a built-in difficulty selection, like a hard/EX mode that is visibly placed right beside the goal as a route you can just try for the heck of it. This means that the clear rates on these levels are totally misleading, in that the main route will be much easier while most of the deaths that tank the clear rate are behind the optional hard-mode gate.

Well, for his latest course, simply entitled Difficulty Choice (BRG-Q6Q-BBG), he takes this a step further: this level has three overlapping difficulties with different layers of obstacles, safety nets, and checkpoint placements that all share the same layout from start to finish, now that you can use on/off switches to control one layer (as before) and the new P-blocks to control a second layer. It's very well implemented, and the hardest mode is still fairly traditional, requiring nothing more technical than standard SMW spin jumps. Very clever ending, too.

I spent a bit of time today clearing all three routes just to study how it was put together, and I recommend that others do the same if they want to see a good example of a level that feels very standard to play through, but is powered by some well-placed spawn-block trickery. I've seen a lot of levels from this community that involve routes with two overlapping states, but hadn't really looked into three-state designs using P-blocks, so I think this will interest many of you. It's conceptually easy to understand once you look at it, even without editor access—just very well executed.
Dang, that's some clever stuff in just that new stage alone.
Beat it on medium, died at the conveyor climb flanked by dry bones on hard.
It's really something seeing how the design is layered in such a way and how some areas operate completely differently on a different "difficulty".
That he's crammed three levels in one in there is some absolute maximising of space.

Made a couple of levels-
V5M-WJG-27G Night Flying
Speaking of good space usage, the coin collection ones here are nice and compact, ensures you don't miss anything seeing that it's all mandatory to nab.
Really dug the skewer stage for being just nicely to the point, since objective stages can't have checkpoints and you get mileage out of the few object types you seemingly limited yourself to.

V11-RXK-CFG
I feel dumb as bricks but I couldn't figure out how to get back out of the on/off switch room, there's not some super tight timing window on twisters that sends your rocketing is there?

Otherwise I'd agree with others that the cape would make things go down easier, but then again I've made two fluttering based stages myself (one here and one in SMM1) so I get the mentality of going for the leaf over the feather for the concept.

Rainbow Rush Galaxy 3
BT5-PG1-M1H

The trilogy conclusion that everyone has really been waiting for! ;) Should be a nice easy romp with lots of fireworks and sparks. Can this one do over 100K plays like the others? I doubt it to be honest! Hopefully it's a fun level though.
If I ever make another one of these, it's going to look the same but be really horribly hard...

I'm up for another sensory overload, but really I'm laughing at the idea of a heel turn Rainbow Rush that is full of scream effects and ultimately a horrible contrast.

At last a purpose for SMB3's oddly green pokeys.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of good space usage, the coin collection ones here are nice and compact, ensures you don't miss anything seeing that it's all mandatory to nab.
Really dug the skewer stage for being just nicely to the point, since objective stages can't have checkpoints and you get mileage out of the few object types you seemingly limited yourself to.
Thanks! I like compact stages like these.
For the skewer one, I was thinking about how Nintendo designed Mario stages-
and really thought about how to layer 4 concepts, skewers, red/blue switches, Ice blocks & coin collecting with a call back from the beginning of the stage with the skewers at the end. It needed a lot more tweaking, but it's my favorite of any stage I made in either Mario Maker.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
GbRxZCL.jpg

Sledgehammer Spelunker
2W2-X5X-Y0G

The stretch of this stage up to the first checkpoint I've had lying around for months, for whatever reason this week I decided to go back and finish the whole thing.
So it's a Builder Suit stage, my last attempt at this was almost entirely hammer, this time though we've got mandatory crates and a lot of me trying to remind you they exist when you have to use them.
I'm not sure I like it as much as my Bully whomping hammer stage but I think the result is solid for the unwieldy power up (this also means that most obstacles try to cause pit deaths to prevent the whole dropping hammer power ups everywhere, though I do succumb to this for one stretch).

More importantly, I've now finally used all the 3D World style themes, huzzah.
Give me more 3D World parts Nintendo, I've grown to love it even with its limitations.

Thanks! I like compact stages like these.
For the skewer one, I was thinking about how Nintendo designed Mario stages-
and really thought about how to layer 4 concepts, skewers, red/blue switches, Ice blocks & coin collecting with a call back from the beginning of the stage with the skewers at the end. It needed a lot more tweaking, but it's my favorite of any stage I made in either Mario Maker.
I noticed!

There was a good game maker's toolkit video (or two) elaborating on the concept.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Chyo, got a new level. This is a pretty simply designed desert level in SMW style. It's short and pretty fun to speedrun. It's not my usual elaborate visuals style level. As opposed to the dozens of hours of several days I spend on my normal levels I actually threw this one together in about 4 hours last night but I just wanted to make something short and quick. Doesn't have the flair of my other levels but I just wanted to go for something different. Would love if yall gave it a try and provided some feedback :)

Course Name: Sandy Mineshaft

Course ID: 0S3-PCX-QFF

Rainbow Rush Galaxy 3
BT5-PG1-M1H

Fun level, nice to get the trilogy concluded at last haha. I enjoyed seeing all the new course elements in there too.

Definitely going to check this out :)

Oct 25, 2017
Level codes for this weekend's SMM2 relay race at AGDQ (VOD), in case any of you want to give them a spin:

[AGDQ] All Goombrats Do Quarrel - 2K1-D0J-9QF
[AGDQ] Spooky Ghost Hot Tub - QH7-8HX-HGF
[AGDQ] Catch and Carry - B3J-SVM-3WF
[AGDQ] Parallel Worlds - S0H-BS9-NFF
[AGDQ] A Welt in the Crucible - LFY-39K-NNG
[AGDQ] Smelly Shell Hotel - 8DC-9PJ-FKG
Cadence of [AGDQ] Gerudo Valley - 4DS-Y8V-70G
[AGDQ] plAnts - J07-P2V-Q56

Haven't loaded these up myself just yet, so I don't know how functional the local co-op Link level is when playing solo. A few of these were visibly well beyond my technique as a player anyway—they're very much built for the competitive/streaming crowd that is comfortable in Super Expert—but some of them have fairly interesting design trickery going on that may pique your curiosity. The VOD is well worth your time if you missed the run, even compared to previous SMM showings: highly exciting narrative moments all the way through.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
I'll be going live for more mario maker 2 hours and 20 minutes from now at https://www.twitch.tv/naar82

Thought I would give a early heads up this time :) I couldn't stream last week because I was really tired and my sleep schedule was screwed up as well x.X