• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Level number 15 here. It's a blue skull wave level with some puzzles along the way and some rising lava in the second half. It should be a lot more forgiving than my other levels

Surfing with Skull Squadron
SSP-PW3-0RG
Surf's up! Strike Switches to Send the Skulls Soaring. SKULL SQUADRON!

I gave this a number of attempts but wasn't able to feel like I was progressing from attempt to attempt. In fact my best attempt was my second and after that I started to do worse. The big problem is constantly spamming the button to flap your tail gets very fatiguing and the stage just became physically uncomfortable to play. I think switching to the Super Mario World theme where you can glide with the cape would make this a much more pleasant experience.
That fatigue was kind of the idea actually, I wanted to make a level where the difficulty came from the physical act of playing it rather than the level design, which is why the level is pretty short and the hazards are fairly simple. Originally the level title was going to be Fly and Fend off Finger Fatigue, but I thought that was too on the nose and might stop people from playing it. Plus the aesthetics wouldn't have been as nice.

GbRxZCL.jpg

Sledgehammer Spelunker
2W2-X5X-Y0G

The stretch of this stage up to the first checkpoint I've had lying around for months, for whatever reason this week I decided to go back and finish the whole thing.
So it's a Builder Suit stage, my last attempt at this was almost entirely hammer, this time though we've got mandatory crates and a lot of me trying to remind you they exist when you have to use them.
I'm not sure I like it as much as my Bully whomping hammer stage but I think the result is solid for the unwieldy power up (this also means that most obstacles try to cause pit deaths to prevent the whole dropping hammer power ups everywhere, though I do succumb to this for one stretch).

More importantly, I've now finally used all the 3D World style themes, huzzah.
Give me more 3D World parts Nintendo, I've grown to love it even with its limitations.
I swear I've never seen the spike balls in 3D World yet. Maybe I'm losing my mind. The hammer is a little cumbersome of course, but you made it work pretty well.
Chyo, got a new level. This is a pretty simply designed desert level in SMW style. It's short and pretty fun to speedrun. It's not my usual elaborate visuals style level. As opposed to the dozens of hours of several days I spend on my normal levels I actually threw this one together in about 4 hours last night but I just wanted to make something short and quick. Doesn't have the flair of my other levels but I just wanted to go for something different. Would love if yall gave it a try and provided some feedback :)

Course Name: Sandy Mineshaft

Course ID: 0S3-PCX-QFF
I was able to get the world record on this one. We'll see if Matilder or someone else takes it from me

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
6CsEY0R.png

Lakitu's Day Off
Course ID: T45-06T-BHF
Difficulty: Probably Expert

My last few submissions have all been kind of high concept super expert courses. For this one I wanted to do something easier for both the player and myself. This is a fairly traditional style course focusing on how different enemies act in the Lakitu cloud and how as a level designer you need to design around them to avoid the player cheesing your stage. I actually did leave a couple of cheese opportunities for any would-be speedrunners out there but they're probably more trouble than they're worth.

Last edited:

Stevo

Jan 29, 2019
Uploaded last night and still no plays. :(

Cursed Climb Zone
RHP-H3J-BQG

There's three ways to reach the end.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Cursed Climb Zone
RHP-H3J-BQG

Nice level :)

I played it twice. Feels very traditional inspired.

Btw, if you're looking for plays, you should post your levels in the reddit daily level exchange. You'll get a lot more exposure that way :)

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
6CsEY0R.png

Lakitu's Day Off

My last few submissions have all been kind of high concept super expert courses. For this one I wanted to do something easier for both the player and myself. This is a fairly traditional style course focusing on how different enemies act in the Lakitu cloud and how as a level designer you need to design around them to avoid the player cheesing your stage. I actually did leave a couple of cheese opportunities for any would-be speedrunners out there but they're probably more trouble than they're worth.
I'll be honest, when I saw this was lakitu themed my heart sank, but it's actually really good! I like how each area has a different enemy in the cloud, with the challenge themed around their movements. By limiting it to just one cloud enemy in each area, and using them in a very controlled way you avoid the annoyance the lakitu clouds usually bring.

Cursed Climb Zone
RHP-H3J-BQG

Nice level, it has a quirky and unusual feel to it, I really enjoyed playing it.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
After about two months without any uploads, I have a new level. Don't know what got the creator spirit back into me, but I wanted to go back to SMM2 after spending months away from the game.

9-3puzzlingpipelinepybakfw.png

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
New level!
It took me a while!
I kinda want to use all theme equally so I'm stuck with SMb3 and SMW to "reset" my counter I guess.

Passing through the veil
K4P-9WT-KBG

I'm not that happy with how this one turned out.
I couldn't find a way to finish it to save my life so I kinda winged it at the end.
It shouldn't be too hard but I guarantee nothing.
The easiest path can finish the level in less than 20s I think, not through a dev path but by being observant.

I have a series of Zelda levels incoming kinda like a short story but they'll come in due time.
Lvl1 is already ready.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Level number 15 here. It's a blue skull wave level with some puzzles along the way and some rising lava in the second half. It should be a lot more forgiving than my other levels

Surfing with Skull Squadron
SSP-PW3-0RG
Surf's up! Strike Switches to Send the Skulls Soaring. SKULL SQUADRON!
Got the world record on that one! (for now)
A boss battle theme for the puzzle after the 1st checkpoint would have been great, I ddin't realize at 1st that I was supposed to do something there.

6CsEY0R.png

Lakitu's Day Off

Aha this one was more than fine.
I still hate hammer bros but great use for them.
the end part with the callback to the rest of the level was great!

Cursed Climb Zone
RHP-H3J-BQG

This level is looking like the inside of the whale in Super Mario Land 2 :o
I really liked it!
After about two months without any uploads, I have a new level. Don't know what got the creator spirit back into me, but I wanted to go back to SMM2 after spending months away from the game.

9-3puzzlingpipelinepybakfw.png
Really nice!
I kinda expected a boss battle after the checkpoint but otherwise really good!

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone, I have been mostly away from this game the past two months as I've been adjusting to fatherhood. But the baby is sleeping this morning so I have about an hour free if anyone would like to hang out and see their levels played. www.twitch.tv/ragingbegal

Oct 25, 2017
Small announcement to make: you folks are the first to hear it. As of last week, I've gotten in on the viewer level streaming game as well (QuixoticN on Twitch).

As a thanks to this community, I've decided to kick off my SMM2 streams with Era levels while I'm waiting for the first submissions, so you folks can see how they look on video with some scattered live commentary (though it won't be anywhere as coherent as my written feedback here, I'm afraid). The VODs will be up for 14 days, so I'll post the links here afterwards in case the course creators want to take a look.

For these opening segments I'll be favouring levels with higher clear rates (say, 10% and up) so I can get through them easily as people trickle into the stream, but I'll of course be privately catching up on the harder levels here from time to time as I've been doing all along—and as with the other streamers here, you're all quite welcome to submit when I'm live. This is all fairly new and I don't have a concrete schedule yet, but I know some of you here don't necessarily have the inclination or patience to hang out on viewer level streams, and I thought I'd get some of my runs through your work on video regardless.

So far I've only done this for Phil32's 9-3 Puzzling Pipeline Pyramid, which starts a minute into this video. (Again, only up for the next two weeks, but take as many clips as you'd like for sharing.) There will be more—and of course, let me know if you'd rather opt out of this and not have your levels filmed for whatever reason. I have a huge backlog stretching back to Christmas so I hope to rotate through many of you.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Just wanted to share a really great Maker I came across. They're called kyasarin and their code is GY1-DF0-NDF. The whole collection is SMB style semi-traditional levels, moderate difficulty, and just so well crafted. I can't recommend them enough.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just wanted to share a really great Maker I came across. They're called kyasarin and their code is GY1-DF0-NDF. The whole collection is SMB style semi-traditional levels, moderate difficulty, and just so well crafted. I can't recommend them enough.

Agreed. I played several of their levels last night. IIRC, kyasarin is also currently at the top of the leaderboard.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Agreed. I played several of their levels last night. IIRC, kyasarin is also currently at the top of the leaderboard.
Yeah I found them in the popular chart, the level stood out because it wasn't a bloody refreshing remix or blue lifts and sawblade thing! The popular chart is awful at the moment...

Oct 25, 2017
Lakitu's Day Off

VOD (00:25). Pretty clear and spacious on the whole, and I like the variety introduced by setting the clouds at different heights to bring out the best in their occupants.

Also finally caught up on Winter Blunderland, by the way—pink coins included, of course—and loved it. Manageable when you avoid the right springs, hilarious when you don't. I haven't looked at the easy version yet, but you did say it was quite different, so I'll definitely give that a peek as well.

Chyo, got a new level. This is a pretty simply designed desert level in SMW style. It's short and pretty fun to speedrun. It's not my usual elaborate visuals style level. As opposed to the dozens of hours of several days I spend on my normal levels I actually threw this one together in about 4 hours last night but I just wanted to make something short and quick. Doesn't have the flair of my other levels but I just wanted to go for something different. Would love if yall gave it a try and provided some feedback :)

Course Name: Sandy Mineshaft

Course ID: 0S3-PCX-QFF

VOD (11:10). I played this somewhat distractedly and the run is full of poor play—jumps in places that were obviously meant for spin jumps, and so on—but that isn't the level's fault. At the time I played this, I thought the section with the spin jumps over the Pokeys on tracks and Spiny was unusually hard to time accurately for you, and ultimately wound up damage-boosting through it, but now that I think about it, I completely missed the obvious: that I was meant to lead a Spike Ball over there and bounce my way across. Didn't even think of it at the time, as I was proceeding far too impatiently.

I should start jotting down more of the codes I'm seeing on Twitch, too, as I've been coming across some great creations that are teaching me new things about SMM2 after all this time (or merely things that I've forgotten as the interactions are so obscure), or fit into a nice pocket of "expert traditional" difficulty that would be a good fit here.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Any tips, links or inspiration on how to create doors/ gates other than using key doors?
It might help to know more details of the scenario you want to do this with, but off the top off of my head you could do stuff with on/off blocks, p-switch blocks, blocks that need a bomb to get through, or munchers that need a POW block to get through.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
VOD (11:10). I played this somewhat distractedly and the run is full of poor play—jumps in places that were obviously meant for spin jumps, and so on—but that isn't the level's fault. At the time I played this, I thought the section with the spin jumps over the Pokeys on tracks and Spiny was unusually hard to time accurately for you, and ultimately wound up damage-boosting through it, but now that I think about it, I completely missed the obvious: that I was meant to lead a Spike Ball over there and bounce my way across. Didn't even think of it at the time, as I was proceeding far too impatiently.

Thanks for playing. It's nice to see the level being played.

So yeah, don't feel bad about the spike ball, a lot of players actually missed this and so it's more bad design on my part more than anything. While I like the level I also whipped it up in about 6 hours which is significantly less than I would spend on my normal I didn't play test it like I should have. I just wanted to make a SMW level and something quick since I have been on SMB3 and extremely thorough for all my other creations.

I would definitely love to watch you stream if you are in my time zone :)

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
If you're unfamiliar with the recent trend of "refreshing" courses that have been clogging up the popular tab, this video should give you an idea. Every single one of them is just a variation of this.

Now that you're up to speed, play this before Nintendo or I take it down:

Reflushing Special #2
PV3-YX1-BNF

Apologies in advance. I'll do better next time.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
If you're unfamiliar with the recent trend of "refreshing" courses that have been clogging up the popular tab, this video should give you an idea. Every single one of them is just a variation of this.

God this stuff is fucking trash.

Played your Lakitu level a while back btw. Very cool. You do well with the concept and the end with all the defeated enemies out of their clouds was cute.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a real course for you all:

laBljHF.jpg

Chilly Dogs
Course ID: W11-9TT-X2G
Difficulty: Normal

This is a pretty no-frills traditional course from the "think of the name first and go from there" school of level creation. I knocked it out in just a few hours rather than spend days second guessing myself like I normally do.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Coming back to 3 J stages and Phil's 9-3 is a good run, Gotdatmoney's desert stage was solid stuff to, though I think the fireball spinjump messed with one of the pokey spin jumps, really though I'm just happy to see Pokeys used well, they ain't very versatile. The use of semi solid sand pits reminds me how for some bizarre reason as a kid, I viewed those big yellow blocks like those rectangular bars of vanilla ice cream and I blame the naming conventions of SMW for that.

so Phil32 , that 9-3 feels like what would happen if one looked at some of the SMB3 desert stages (world 2 and also World 7) and decided, "yes but we can go BIGGER"
And it did, the second half is really tightly designed as a light exploration coin hunt that calls upon that ol' SMB3 stage where you make the invisible block bridge, only to subvert with a bridge upon a bridge, sneaky.

(on this note I'm not sure if I ever said anything about GreenMamba's pyramid maze from last month where the entire time I was thinking how laborious building up the various semi solid paths must've been, a herculean effort)

Then J-Spot flushed me down a toilet and I laughed like the waste I am, Chilly Dogs used chomps in a few ways I hadn't seen before myself (I just really dug the spring chomp/wall jump bit see) and Lakitu's day off takes on the mighty challenge of getting things to play ball in the cloud, which as a man whose tried his hand at this many times in the original game and here with only two cloud/lakitu based successes, it's kinda hard to pull off!
As such there's a few awkward parts (I used a cloud chomp in SMM1, the challenge fluctuates massively depending on how the dawg is feeling when he wants to snap) but the ending payoff was neato.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Heyo, I got a new level. I went back to SMB3 style for my newest level and with a sky theme. I've had this idea for a level for a while but couldn't come up with any execution I though was good. Finally got something out I feel is decent. It was hard to really do everything I wanted to with the level but it did give me some ideas for some other level types though. This is a small red coin hunt across a icy sky castle backdrop. It should be normal difficulty. Most of yall will have no issues. There will be some tricky parts for lower skill players. Let me know what yall think:

Course Name: Frosty Cloud Castle
Course ID: 5D4-9YW-MYG

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Me being like "I've never seen these spring chomps before!" and then Gotdatmoney is just casually throwing them out as well within the hour.
It's a perfectly solid coin hunt, actually setting up the checkpoint loop with a designated save room was cool and the visual aspects of the stage are on point.

As an aside for whenever anyone does a save room idea like that or when I steal it, I'd put a mushroom spawning pipe in there I think.
I feel that red/pink coin collection levels benefit from a central point that can top the player up myself.

edit: I now have four unfinished NSMBU snow themed stages, this theme is cursed, I can never bring it together.
Also trying to make a stage around snowballs is something of a dead end I feel

Last edited:

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Heyo, I got a new level. I went back to SMB3 style for my newest level and with a sky theme. I've had this idea for a level for a while but couldn't come up with any execution I though was good. Finally got something out I feel is decent. It was hard to really do everything I wanted to with the level but it did give me some ideas for some other level types though. This is a small red coin hunt across a icy sky castle backdrop. It should be normal difficulty. Most of yall will have no issues. There will be some tricky parts for lower skill players. Let me know what yall think:

I liked this a lot. There was enough challenge to keep me on my toes as I frequently lost my mushrooms, but I was able to squeak out a clear without any deaths. The one thing I thought could be improved upon would be to have the checkpoint loop occur earlier/more obvious. I was three coins deep before I realized it existed at all. Not a problem for me but a less skilled player would hate to miss it.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Icefall Canyon
3KR-RGM-C1G

I decided to expand on the downward scrolling lift section from Starfall Odyssey and make a whole level out of it. The difficulty picks up a bit towards the end but it's nothing too extreme.
This is my 4th level to use the SMB ice theme, I keep finding myself coming back to it! I think it's my favourite theme in the game, there's something about the combination of the music and tileset that I just love.

Chrixter

Oct 29, 2017
My second upload:

Squeaky Spike Hike
0HX-0FY-6CG

It's a 3D World platforming level that utilizes Skipqueaks in a variety of ways.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
call me crazy but I think I will be doing a 6 hour stream starting in an hour :P https://www.twitch.tv/naar82

Hey everyone, I have been mostly away from this game the past two months as I've been adjusting to fatherhood. But the baby is sleeping this morning so I have about an hour free if anyone would like to hang out and see their levels played. www.twitch.tv/ragingbegal
Small announcement to make: you folks are the first to hear it. As of last week, I've gotten in on the viewer level streaming game as well (QuixoticN on Twitch).

As a thanks to this community, I've decided to kick off my SMM2 streams with Era levels while I'm waiting for the first submissions, so you folks can see how they look on video with some scattered live commentary (though it won't be anywhere as coherent as my written feedback here, I'm afraid). The VODs will be up for 14 days, so I'll post the links here afterwards in case the course creators want to take a look.

For these opening segments I'll be favouring levels with higher clear rates (say, 10% and up) so I can get through them easily as people trickle into the stream, but I'll of course be privately catching up on the harder levels here from time to time as I've been doing all along—and as with the other streamers here, you're all quite welcome to submit when I'm live. This is all fairly new and I don't have a concrete schedule yet, but I know some of you here don't necessarily have the inclination or patience to hang out on viewer level streams, and I thought I'd get some of my runs through your work on video regardless.

So far I've only done this for Phil32's 9-3 Puzzling Pipeline Pyramid, which starts a minute into this video. (Again, only up for the next two weeks, but take as many clips as you'd like for sharing.) There will be more—and of course, let me know if you'd rather opt out of this and not have your levels filmed for whatever reason. I have a huge backlog stretching back to Christmas so I hope to rotate through many of you.

OH NO COMPETITION

haha welcome to the club <3 :D

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Coming back to 3 J stages and Phil's 9-3 is a good run, Gotdatmoney's desert stage was solid stuff to, though I think the fireball spinjump messed with one of the pokey spin jumps, really though I'm just happy to see Pokeys used well, they ain't very versatile. The use of semi solid sand pits reminds me how for some bizarre reason as a kid, I viewed those big yellow blocks like those rectangular bars of vanilla ice cream and I blame the naming conventions of SMW for that.

Thanks for playing it. For that section you can also use the spike ball to move across the section.

Me being like "I've never seen these spring chomps before!" and then Gotdatmoney is just casually throwing them out as well within the hour.
It's a perfectly solid coin hunt, actually setting up the checkpoint loop with a designated save room was cool and the visual aspects of the stage are on point.

As an aside for whenever anyone does a save room idea like that or when I steal it, I'd put a mushroom spawning pipe in there I think.
I feel that red/pink coin collection levels benefit from a central point that can top the player up myself.

edit: I now have four unfinished NSMBU snow themed stages, this theme is cursed, I can never bring it together.
Also trying to make a stage around snowballs is something of a dead end I feel

Thanks for playing this one as well. The chain chomp spring setup is great because it gets consistent use out of the chain chomps movements and allows for some cool setups. I definitely made some mistakes with the save room setup but glad the level is being well received.

I liked this a lot. There was enough challenge to keep me on my toes as I frequently lost my mushrooms, but I was able to squeak out a clear without any deaths. The one thing I thought could be improved upon would be to have the checkpoint loop occur earlier/more obvious. I was three coins deep before I realized it existed at all. Not a problem for me but a less skilled player would hate to miss it.

Yeah, I agree with you here. I should have switched the location of the save room and the key door. Watching streamers play the level, everyone is missing the save room until it's too late. The level only really has 3 sections so it's not a huge issue but if I made it longer like my original plan this would have really become a problem. Thanks for playing btw. I played both reflushing special 2 and Chilly Dogs. I died at Reflushing Special, so meta. Chilly dogs is a great traditional level.

Icefall Canyon
3KR-RGM-C1G

I decided to expand on the downward scrolling lift section from Starfall Odyssey and make a whole level out of it. The difficulty picks up a bit towards the end but it's nothing too extreme.
This is my 4th level to use the SMB ice theme, I keep finding myself coming back to it! I think it's my favourite theme in the game, there's something about the combination of the music and tileset that I just love.

I like this. SMB1 winter set is great. Tbh all the winter tilesets are fantastic. And the downward platforming you do in this level as well as Starfall are a refreshing change. I like it a lot.

My second upload:

Squeaky Spike Hike
0HX-0FY-6CG

It's a 3D World platforming level that utilizes Skipqueaks in a variety of ways.

Great level. You do a lot of great things with the skipsquaks. Its hard to believe this is only your second level. Well done!!

A pretty standard level except Pokey is in Lakuitu's cloud sweeping the level.

926-mdt-8ff

This is my favourite level of yours. I can see you improving with each upload!! This one is great.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017

laBljHF.jpg

Chilly Dogs

This is a pretty no-frills traditional course from the "think of the name first and go from there" school of level creation. I knocked it out in just a few hours rather than spend days second guessing myself like I normally do.
Fun level, lots of interesting uses for chimps here. I enjoyed your 'refreshing' level too, nice piss-take of those stupid things.

Loved this, I feel like this is one of your best. Really nice attention to detail with the theming.
My second upload:

Squeaky Spike Hike
0HX-0FY-6CG

I never knew skipqueaks had so many uses! I think the first half of this level is brilliant, super tight and well designed, but it gets a bit fiddly later on, the spring section was particularly annoying!
A pretty standard level except Pokey is in Lakuitu's cloud sweeping the level.

926-mdt-8ff
Interesting idea, I think I cheesed the last section though by just swimming under everything!

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Loved this, I feel like this is one of your best. Really nice attention to detail with the theming.

Thanks for playing!! I'm happy with how it turned out. It just made #1 on popular but this level wont do well in the charts sadly. Already at work on some new stuff though :)

Edit: Yeah, another poor performer unfortunately.

Last edited:

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for playing!! I'm happy with how it turned out. It just made #1 on popular but this level wont do well in the charts sadly. Already at work on some new stuff though :)

Edit: Yeah, another poor performer unfortunately.
I know the feeling, mine just fizzled too! I don't really know what people want from a level these days...

Oct 25, 2017
New playthroughs up—but unfortunately without game audio, as it was misbehaving for the entirety of the stream I ran today and I wasn't able to repair the problem. Growing pains of a new production setup, I guess. Still, here are some quick runs through new levels from this week, Nocturnowl's Bitter Blustery Bluffs (1:30) and GokouD's Icefall Canyon (4:50).

Lots of fun with both of these; pretty much the ideal starter plates before I was hit with an onslaught of trolls. I caught up on a fair number of Era levels privately this weekend as well, some of which have been in my backlog for weeks, but most of them were from my followed list and I think I'll have to comb through a few pages of this thread to find the original posts. Always a pleasure to come back here and find levels that are right in that reliable pocket of cozy and familiar, yet unique enough to have their own flair.

I'm trying to rotate between different makers here every time and already have a few levels in mind, so stay tuned. Maybe the in-game sounds will even be on next time. Might do a dedicated recording session of some old favourites at some point, too.

Stevo

Jan 29, 2019
Just uploaded:
Underwater Cave Tale feat. Link
F6K-V9P-9WG

It might help to know more details of the scenario you want to do this with, but off the top off of my head you could do stuff with on/off blocks, p-switch blocks, blocks that need a bomb to get through, or munchers that need a POW block to get through.

Like simple contraptions, nothing at all elaborate, to blow a wall up or something that people do. I suppose this is why people liked to download and check levels out in Mario Maker 1.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why I'm tensing up like I'm under an examination watching QuixoticNeutral play my latest, maybe it's because I wasn't too sure what I was going for with it.
But hey first attempt clear tells me it works well enough, the only thing where I was thinking "oh no!" was that with the wind the first wall jump is intended to be done entirely on the right wall as a sort of fun novelty but damn the man just powered through with the back and forth.

Initially I wanted to create a fast flowing course where you could just blaze through it speed run style, but then I decided to pick back up a shelved idea of a trio of tracks in the wind which runs counter to that philosophy so the end result is kinda all over the place.
Well I got using the night desert wind out of my system at any rate, thanks for playing

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017

laBljHF.jpg

Chilly Dogs

This one made me smile with all the clever uses you find for the chain chomps. My only feedback is that it feels like it just sort of ends rather than building up to something; I feel like there's gotta be a couple levels worth of ideas in this one if you wanted to elaborate any particular subset of them.

Icefall Canyon
3KR-RGM-C1G

I gotta admit I originally saw the falling platform in the thumbnail and passed, since I feel like I've played a million levels based on falling blue platforms. I'm glad I'm came back to it, since this is an idea I've never seen before and you nailed the execution!
My second upload:

Squeaky Spike Hike
0HX-0FY-6CG

I love the basic ideas and how you develop them in this level, but I think there's a problem with the pacing. Right around when you introduce the spring pads the platforming jumps from quite forgiving to extremely finicky, and not in a way that complements the mechanics you're exploring. It would be less of an issue with a checkpoint closer to the difficulty spike. But up until that difficulty spike I really was loving the level.

Edit: okay I went back and actually finished the level this time, and it really was just that one room with the spring pads that was a problem for me. The rest was smooth sailing!

Last edited:

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
It's funny, I just played a level called Mt. Dry Bones, it was more than a little 'inspired' by my level Icefall Peak! Nice to be famous enough to be ripped off though I suppose ;)

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Did you boo it?

(You should boo it.)
Nah, it wasn't a block for block remake, it just used all the same elements, and had the same 3 act structure. The middle section was pretty much identical to mine, but he mixed it up with a boss at the end. It was actually pretty decent. I checked his recent likes and he had played my level, so there's no doubt he was copying it!

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Made another level. Not sure if it's that good of an idea, but I've always wanted to make a level based on riding winged buzzy beetles. This one uses low gravity to make the jumps bigger and less finicky, and custom autoscroll with some simple gadgets to mix things up. There are also red coins to unlock a true ending. I'm pleased with how it turned out, so I hope it'll be fun for other people.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh, I see this a lot and it drives me nuts.

Yeah that's so annoying, and it really trashes your Maker Points. I've even had people who play all my levels, leave nice comments, and still don't like anything!

Makes me bitter haha. Without the likes your levels drop in the popular section and your weekly rank suffers. It would be nice if Nintendo let you keep a page of levels you like but don't want to download. Oh well.