• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I've been working on essentially creating my own "game" within Mario Maker using the SMB3 engine and I'd like to reveal the first two worlds I've made to you all.

0wnXAPA.png

I figured "Super Mario Country" was a good name because it fits within the structure of how most of the Mario titles work ( Bros - Land - World - Galaxy ) plus it's a nice little shout out to Donkey Kong Country as well. My goal was to try to make levels that felt truly authentic to a traditional Super Mario Bros. 3 game and try to stick to a lot of the "rules" you tend to see in the level design of those games, while throwing in a twist here and there. Currently I'm only done with the first two worlds, but I'm planning on finishing further levels as I go on.

World 1
1-1
Code: DBT-4HL-CSF
Description
: A simple introductory level to teach you the basics

1-2
Code: 4BK-P87-Q7G
Description
: Explore the slopes underground, watch out though!

1-3
Code: 69J-96X-8NG
Description:
Pipes, plants, and koopas await!

1-4
Code: 84K-FK2-9XF
Description:
What awaits at the end of Bowser's first stronghold?

World 2
2-1
Code: QC3-XGB-F1G
Description:
Things are getting fishy around here

2-2
Code: LY7-1SY-6PF
Description:
Take on the surface route, however another route awaits those who fall.

2-3
Code: GMY-6GG-KVG
Description:
Swim to the surface!

2-4
Code: S4F-CLW-RTG
Description:
Storm Bowser Jr.'s airship, watch out for its arsenal though!
Moved onto greener creation pastures than WWE2K whatever entry it was I see!
Gonna follow you and tackle this psuedo game over time.

Rocket Base Galaxy
JST-3GK-2BG

Here's my latest one, been working on this for a couple of days. Climb Boom Boom's under construction rocket and take him down before he can launch it!

I was aiming for a moderate level of difficulty, there are a couple of fairly technical saw blade bounces towards the end but there's always a safety net and plenty of checkpoints. It's always tough to combine aesthetics with decent platforming, so I hope I've managed it.

You managed it!

Also my headcanon is that the shoe section is like the equivalent of a spring mario section of galaxy to tie the theme together

Play this level oh god I'm dying

61L-BY4-42G
Oh god I AM dying, that checkpoint wiggler is the most hitbox hurtin' thing I've seen in this game, I tried Strat, I really did but I fear the opening notes of the slider theme followed by SMW death jingle is too ingrained into my head now for my liking.
I did at least get as far as the post donut block bit.

Does the wind in the desert theme have an effect on any items or enemies or is it just the player?
Just the player and the claws when the player is clutched I believe.
SMB3 is the best for this theme by the way, wind always blows from behind to give increased jump distance which I figure is more fun to make a stage out of.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Reposting the first level I made about a day or 2 ago. Went with a Tetris theme. Not hard, can't die lol. Being a fan of Tetris, I wanted to see what I could come up with.

hkk05.jpg

Going to play some more user levels then try to think of a 2nd level to make.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Why the Caged Bowser Sings
48X-MV2-3LF

This one took me forever to get working properly. I really wanted to make a "descent" level, and now I understand why so few platformers do this. The only way to prevent cheesing was to provide no mushrooms, so I had to make it easier other ways. Now I'm afraid it's too easy. Hard balance.

The concept is Bowser trapped in a cage, and you need to transport him to the bottom while dodging his fireballs and solving puzzles. There's also a race to the bottom at the end.

Please tell me what you think, I've been working on this for days lol.

This level is clever, but I do see several issues.

First, Bowser is random. I died several times because he happened to shot a fireball when I'm jumping or falling. That or he does he shoot fire into the air and the fireballs land in places that I just can't dodge because the spaces is so small. All these together with Mario being an one-hit wonder means that you can die from pure RNG.

Also, I can't figure out how I'm supposed to get the turtle shell to hit the second switch. All the turles are bunched together in one space and I can't grab the shell.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
You managed it!

Also my headcanon is that the shoe section is like the equivalent of a spring mario section of galaxy to tie the theme together
Thanks! I tend to find after I've been working on a level for ages I loose all perspective on whether it's any good or not, so I'm glad to hear it's ok.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
CaptainMatilder's sweet sweet tips/tricks lection 2: Scroll stop

Previous:
CaptainMatilder's sweet sweet tips/tricks lection 1: Bonus rooms and level endings.

Scroll stops are your friend. Use them, whenever you can. They will prevent the camera moving further in the scroll direction (up, down, left, right, you call it). They can give your level a very clean look. But there are some rules you should follow. How do you activate them?

First of all: You can only use ground tiles and solid blocks to create a scroll stop wall eg. the blocks you see in the images below. No Pipes, no Slopes, no Ice blocks, brickable blocks, question mark blocks, note blocks, ON/OFF blocks.

Secondly:
You don't have to use the big grid (thick lines)! You can place it anywhere you like.
But the room or area contained by the scroll stop has to be AT LEAST one screen.

Horizontal levels (horizontal stop)

If there is NOTHING placed on the top half of the screen this wall will be more than enough to stop the scrolling.
It works on both sides. If Mario comes near it, you wont see beyond that wall.

dd499aaf77ec8daac8e887e1a8e15a2c.png

If there is ANYTHING at all even a single block on the upper part, this wall WONT stop the scrolling.

a404fade0658f87aee029134f531fc01.png

However, if you want stuff happen on the upper part you have to EXTEND the wall. This new wall will stop any scrolling beyond it!

3ec8b72e4040423dcaf581b8fa8a800f.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Horizontal levels (vertical stop)

If there isn't a single block on the upper part of the level, there is an invisible scroll stop for vertical scrolling in place. The camera will never ever move up, even if you are on the upmost tile of the lower half screen. It WONT scroll. Also, you CAN NOT jump over the wall. It's not possible, since the wall's height is basically infinite.

dd499aaf77ec8daac8e887e1a8e15a2c.png

If you have stuff happening at the upper part, you have to create a ceiling-scroll stop. This ceiling will stop the scrolling beyond it in any direction.
If you walk through that door, you wont see anything below or next to you. It's perfectly enclosed! The ceiling must stretch the ENTIRE length of the level.
There is no way around that.

Info: Some people think the scroll stop wall has to be two blocks thick. This is NOT true.
However, if you wanna have four rooms like this with no camera movement at all you have to make it two blocks thick, or else if approaching the wall from the right the camera will move one tile to the left.

37968fc2ff07a46b43c2f7189ae59bcc.png

Info2: While in the editor some people think their scroll stop wall is faulty.
If you spawn in the editor right next to the scroll stop wall it won't work until you move away from it and approach it again.

Vertical levels (horizontal)

Scroll stop is also working in vertical levels. Basically it's the same thing.
If you wan't your vertical level only one screen in width, create a wall from the very bottom to the very top. Nothing one the right side (even if there are blocks and objects) can be seen if walking through the part in the left screen.

There is no invisible wall this time. Even if you only create your level on the left side of the screen and there isn't a single block on the right side,
the camera CAN AND WILL move beyond the middle line of the two-screen-width if coming close to it.

Vertical levels (vertical)

Yes, you can stop the camera from going further up OR DOWN in vertical levels. Just build a ceiling ACROSS both screens. If coming from the pipe from the top left screen, the other three screens won't be seen. If coming the pipe at the bottom left screen, only that very room will be visible. Again: The scroll stop wall does NOT to be two tiles thick. The only reason the wall in this image has a two tiles width is so the cactus behind that solid block in the bottom middle part of the wall can not be seen.

ee9e4e1a9e43771e619209c093c336f6.png

Info3: Scroll stop also works with automatic scrolling levels. The level will scroll until hitting the scroll stop wall. It will resume scrolling when beyond that wall. Either by destroying it or through a door/pipe. This includes both horizontal and vertical levels as well as custom scrolling.

All my levels make heavy use of the scroll stop in any direction. Feel free to check them out!

Maker-ID: 485-X4Q-KXG
Maker-Name: Matilder

Last edited:

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Uploaded a new course this evening, 'Yoshi, I'm so sorry'.

Its my first time using the new clear conditions. I don't like the inability to use a checkpoint on one of these types of levels but it is an annoying shortcoming.

Course ID: L3D-JK2-L8G

Previous courses:

Vanilla Flats - 95M-JG1-78G
Snow Laughing Matter - 3NB-C0B-2CG
School of Mario - MGC-FML-B3G
Up, Up & Away - DXL-N3S-H3G

Not bad. I liked the upside down boss fight. I also hated the upside down bossfight.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
Not bad. I liked the upside down boss fight. I also hated the upside down bossfight.

Thanks for playing. I watched the video of you beating the level on Twitter. Cool to finally see someone play a level I've made.

I did notice you didn't use the red pipe in the final area which would have taken you straight to the flag, rather than having to go back out and see the boss again. I thought that might happen but struggled with how to point out to use the red pipe.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I did it finally! I think I cheesed the second half, but I got pretty good at the first half. Could have de cheesed it by making the timer a bit tighter and forced me to 1st cycle that second section. Anyways great level, even if the cat/water physics are a bit imprecise feeling sometimes
Nice! Never thought about the timer yeah, but I'm happy you got to beat it anyway!

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Oh god I AM dying, that checkpoint wiggler is the most hitbox hurtin' thing I've seen in this game, I tried Strat, I really did but I fear the opening notes of the slider theme followed by SMW death jingle is too ingrained into my head now for my liking.
I did at least get as far as the post donut block bit.
Hahaha thanks, man. I wanted to make something a bit nasty. Glad you attempted it, brother.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Just beat it! First clear :D

Fun level. Yea, it frustrated me but not on the same level some of these other levels have, haha. Tough but fair. Good job!
Thanks, man! I went for "hard, but not gotcha" if that makes sense. I tried to space the checkpoints decently, but one per section is kind of a bummer. Appreciate the play! Let me know if you've got stages and I'll hit you back!

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Zelda 2 is my favortie zelda game (yes, im serious), so in honor of it, i made this! Midoro Palace, the second palace in the game. I had limitations due to stage size, but all in all, i dont think its half bad!

Please play it and let me know what you think!

I like this one but it was big and i got lost. Also screw the goomthings on wings.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I was looking at my Rescue Yoshi and I see most of the deaths happened at the beginning.

I was going back and forward about rather the Yoshi jump was obvious or not, but I guess it wasn't. I just assumed people's natural instincts were to flutter with Yoshi when they see a seemingly no end jump and the NSMB physics are floaty, so you have enough time to jump off of Yoshi once you realized that you weren't going to make it.

That and I got a 'Seriously' comment on the Bowser Jr fight. Probably because I gave him wings since Bowser Jr throwing hammers was more interesting that him shooting fireballs.

Last edited:

Deleted member 24540

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
CaptainMatilder's sweet sweet tips/tricks lection 2: Scroll stop

Previous:
CaptainMatilder's sweet sweet tips/tricks lection 1: Bonus rooms and level endings.

Scroll stops are your friend. Use them, whenever you can. They will prevent the camera moving further in the scroll direction (up, down, left, right, you call it). They can give your level a very clean look. But there are some rules you should follow. How do you activate them?

First of all: You can only use ground tiles and solid blocks to create a scroll stop wall eg. the blocks you see in the images below. No Pipes, no Slopes, no Ice blocks, brickable blocks, question mark blocks, note blocks, ON/OFF blocks.

Secondly:
You don't have to use the big grid (thick lines)! You can place it anywhere you like.
But the room or area contained by the scroll stop has to be AT LEAST one screen.

All my levels make heavy use of the scroll stop in any direction. Feel free to check them out!

Maker-ID: 485-X4Q-KXG
Maker-Name: Matilder

I wish you made this post a week ago! This is very useful information that I spent a lot of time to figure out myself.

I'm a huge fan of this feature and I was really looking forward to make a sequence of challenge rooms centered around platforming that all fit inside one screen, but it's hard to do much of anything considering Mario's jumps cover more than half the screen in both directions. Even worse is I wanted to use the 3D World style but there you also have the ability to wall jump which severely limits what you can do, unless you are fine with obvious cheese potential. I wish you could zoom out :(

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've done like 50 auto Mario stages today lmao. Easy first clears. Want to cement my gold medal so I don't have to worry much about it going forward, just a few First Clear per day.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
My pal makes some cracking levels, but lacks an Era account, so I'm posting in his stead.
His levels are always really well made, so they definitely need more exposure.

His Maker ID is XBQ-9W7-HGG

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I'm going political with my new level.

Climate Change is REAL!
All over Mushroom Kingdom, Climate Change is taking its toll!
ID: 696 4X1 7XG

A classic platformer in a world of Ice on fire and a world of Fire on ice. I don't think it's too hard but it could take a couple of tries to finish it. No crazy stunts or things like that.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This level is clever, but I do see several issues.

First, Bowser is random. I died several times because he happened to shot a fireball when I'm jumping or falling. That or he does he shoot fire into the air and the fireballs land in places that I just can't dodge because the spaces is so small. All these together with Mario being an one-hit wonder means that you can die from pure RNG.

Also, I can't figure out how I'm supposed to get the turtle shell to hit the second switch. All the turles are bunched together in one space and I can't grab the shell.

If there's only one koopa, it avoids the issue. So clear out whatever koopas are there, wait for the next one, and take his shell.

Also if you fall as soon as possible you'll avoid most of the fireballs.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
If there's only one koopa, it avoids the issue. So clear out whatever koopas are there, wait for the next one, and take his shell.

Also if you fall as soon as possible you'll avoid most of the fireballs.

I did fall as soon as possible and still got nailed by a fireball once. This was especially true in the first part of the level where you jump cross, tried to tilt the seesaw and Bowser just turns around and fires.

Also, forgot you could grab a shell in the air after you jumped.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I did fall as soon as possible and still got nailed by a fireball once. This was especially true in the first part of the level where you jump cross, tried to tilt the seesaw and Bowser just turns around and fires.

Also, forgot you could grab a shell in the air after you jumped.

You don't need that seesaw, it was misdirection. Just fall straight down on left.

I was too evil with this one. 😬

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I love traditional style levels too. What's your maker ID? I will follow you. I'm going to make my life's work around getting better at putting out traditional style levels. I'm just beginning with a few experimental levels....
GF9-DK4-L1G is my ID! I only have 2 courses so far; the Thwomp one is a bit unrefined compared to my most recent one. Let me know what you think!

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Spent quite awhile crafting this one lol! I wanted to try and capture Galaxy's spirit because I love that the music is in this game.

Super Mario Nebula
D8D-0BC-QMF
We received a distress signal from an alien world. Bowser is at it again...

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Hey, since users here shill girlfriend reviews' content on this site, can I shill my own MM2 videos as well?

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Unfortunately, you're not allowed to use checkpoints if you set a clear condition :/. The coin requirement is mostly there just to add to the stress level (it's pretty easy to pass); but maybe I oughta just take it out and add a checkpoint at each segment like I originally intended.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

EDIT: I reuploaded with no clear goal and checkpoints! Should be much more doable now! :)
zYL8YVS.jpg
Yeah, I like this!

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Seriously, can someone play a lag free online match? I can play every other game smoothly, but Smash and this are just unplayable when it even starts.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
Spent quite awhile crafting this one lol! I wanted to try and capture Galaxy's spirit because I love that the music is in this game.

Super Mario Nebula
D8D-0BC-QMF
We received a distress signal from an alien world. Bowser is at it again...

I tried this but was unable to complete it. I got to a part with seesaws but couldn't figure out where to go. I backtracked but the gust of wind to get me over one of the obstacles went off screen and I was stuck, so had to quit out.

I was enjoying it up till then.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm going political with my new level.

Climate Change is REAL!
All over Mushroom Kingdom, Climate Change is taking its toll!
ID: 696 4X1 7XG

A classic platformer in a world of Ice on fire and a world of Fire on ice. I don't think it's too hard but it could take a couple of tries to finish it. No crazy stunts or things like that.

That was pretty fun. I actually had no idea you could make Red yoshi's in this game so I was super surprised lol.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Based loosely on the Towers of Blood from Kid Chameleon I bring you Towers of Cruor! I don't know if Nintendo wants me saying scary words like blood in a title.

Mario climbs a tower, visits a mad king, and makes his escape.

N06yZm0.jpg

I think it's Pretty Good. I hope you will try it!

6P8-8MT-XLF

Revven

Oct 27, 2017
Again, no thumbnail/screenshot but I made this level the other day! I wanted to try a concept of a big fish chasing you, not too dissimilar to what we've seen before in 2D platformers before like DKC. The first half is a little bit of relatively easy platforming (maybe too many enemies? I don't know) and the second half is the one I spent the most time on.

Name: Sashimi Supremey
Course ID: 44Q-1G0-9DF

I didn't want to make it too hard but by virtue of how the 3D World Porcufish thing works it's fairly challenging. Any feedback is welcome as I do want to make a sequel level but instead of water it's chasing you with rising lava or something.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I tried this but was unable to complete it. I got to a part with seesaws but couldn't figure out where to go. I backtracked but the gust of wind to get me over one of the obstacles went off screen and I was stuck, so had to quit out.

I was enjoying it up till then.

Oh no that stupid note block I put there for "story elements" set the little guy off didn't it? I hate it that you can't easily edit and reupload, unless there is a way that I'm not aware...

And you were talking about these seesaws right?

Anyway ty for playing! Hopefully someone makes it through! It sucks to have levels stuck at 0% clear rate since they won;t go into the endless mode pot.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
You don't need that seesaw, it was misdirection. Just fall straight down on left.

I was too evil with this one. 😬

This level is still RNG depended. Like when I finally got the shell, hit the switch and fell, nailed by a fireball on the way down that I didn't see. Also got trapped by Bowser at the bottom and killed when he spammed his flame fireball.

I will try again later.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
Based loosely on the Towers of Blood from Kid Chameleon I bring you Towers of Cruor! I don't know if Nintendo wants me saying scary words like blood in a title.

Mario climbs a tower, visits a mad king, and makes his escape.

N06yZm0.jpg

I think it's Pretty Good. I hope you will try it!

6P8-8MT-XLF

Just played this one. I thought it was well thought out but a little long.

Oh no that stupid note block I put there for "story elements" set the little guy off didn't it? I hate it that you can't easily edit and reupload, unless there is a way that I'm not aware...

Anyway ty for playing! Hopefully someone makes it through! It sucks to have levels stuck at 0% clear rate since they won;t go into the endless mode pot.

Ah, I tried that on the seesaws but didn't get it after a couple of attempts so thought I was doing it wrong.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This level is still RNG depended. Like when I finally got the shell, hit the switch and fell, nailed by a fireball on the way down that I didn't see. Also got trapped by Bowser at the bottom and killed when he spammed his flame fireball.

I will try again later.

If you get trapped by bowser you're supposed to die. He's on a track, you have to race him and beat him to the bottom. If you don't you die.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I reached the limit for pipe entrances/exits in my third course...

The limitations in this game are weird.

Well, I had to restructure one part of my course because of it and I'm not that happy with the result :(

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Does anyone have any experience with how re-uploading stages works in Mario Maker?
For example, I uploaded a stage, and then under Coursebot made an adjustment in it. This took the Red flag Uploaded icon away from the screen cap, and I just ran through my level again to "re-upload it". Now in my Coursebot I see it has the Red Flag signifying it's uploaded, however it no longer matches what I see under Course World when I look at the stage. Different screen cap, different time of upload.
I was under assumption that you can't make edits to existing uploaded stages, however since the Coursebot allowed me to clear all the checkpoints again for an upload after my edit, now I'm second guessing that assumption. Sorry if this sounds confusing, but I'm confused myself lol.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
That is wrong. I have plenty of first clears playing Endless.
But it needs to have Plays in order to get categorized in the right difficulty. Plays ≠ Clears.

I was under assumption that you can't make edits to existing uploaded stages
You can edit a level after uploading it.But of course the changes won't show up online. I guess if you reupload that level after making these changes it either replaces your first level or creates a second one.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019

It was great! Great!! BUT. It was two levels of content in one. I ran out of time at the Boss because of the seesaws, then upon continuing from the checkpoint I finished the stage with 200 seconds left.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That is wrong. I have plenty of first clears playing Endless.
But it needs to have Plays in order to get categorized in the right difficulty. Plays ≠ Clears.

You can edit a level after uploading it.But of course the changes won't show up online. I guess if you reupload that level after making these changes it either replaces your first level or creates a second one.

How does the game know which difficulty to lump levels into on the endless mode if they're not cleared yet?

Also regarding the reupload, doing so would give it an entirely new download code right? If so, why in Coursebot would the edit I ran through re-clearing the check points give me the message that it's already uploaded?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It was great! Great!! BUT. It was two levels of content in one. I ran out of time at the Boss because of the seesaws, then upon continuing from the checkpoint I finished the stage with 200 seconds left.

It's definitely a long one and I could've made two stages out of the idea for it for sure. Thanks for playing it!

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Do most people not know how to make a condition Flower/Mushroom or do they just only want me to get mushrooms in their levels?

Oct 27, 2017
Alameda, CA
For fans of more straight-up Mario levels, I present my latest creation:

D-50f-_UIAAPhnW.jpg:large

Burgle Big Boo's Blimp: DBK-SP7-CNG

"Big Boo's ship is docked for supplies, get in there & get all the goodies!"

Feeling a lot more comfortable with the basic tools now and I think this is my most accessible level yet. Designed specifically for my partner in mind, who loves Mario but is a casual player. Not too big a stage with some minor exploration challenges for those goodie hunters. There are three 1ups hidden in the level for Endless Mode, too (2 visible challenges, 1 hidden block).

Please enjoy! Now to return the favor and play some more ERA levels.