• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
I've noticed in my notifications that under course info it says things like, "20 people (including "insert name here") have played "insert level here". Of those people, 9 (including "insert name here") liked the course!"

Is this new, or has it always been this way?
Always has been. Even in Mario Maker 1.
And I don't even know why some random person is always mentioned, haha.

mktrOOps

Oct 27, 2017
1078446216.jpg

"IT'S SHOOOOOWTIME"

In order to suppress the will to freedom, people will be entertained in the future with the TV format `Running Man'. After helicopter pilot Ben Richards (Arnold Schwarzenegger) refused to shoot civilians, he is charged and detained. But he soon succeeds in breaking out of prison. Shortly thereafter, the showmaster Damon Killian forces him to fight for freedom with futuristic gladiators in 'Running Man'...

++++++[2CN-SFB-21H]++++++

- this is my first level I've made in Super Mario Maker 2 and I've decided to make a fun kaizo light level (SMB1 style). It's not trolly or unfair by any means!
- Ben Richards/Arnold has to defeat my two favorite stalkers Subzero and Buzzsaw to survive this deadly game. The sections of this level are themed after these two stalkers
- in the end of the game there is a little distractive mini game/boss fight (no, it's not a Bowser/Jr. or Boom Boom fight)
- fans of the movie (it's my favorite one) will recognize the one or another reference

hqdefault.jpg

"Are you ready for suffering?"

I appreciate any kind of feedback, thanks for playing! At the weekend I'll play some levels from you :)

Last edited:

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Sorry, I was waiting to get to a PC to write it.

Basically, you can't swim with the shell (don't know if 'swim' is the correct verb to use in English). It's like when you triple jump on NSB theme: as soon as you hit the lava, you have to jump again, to keep the momentum, as swimming will kill your momentum. So, start, jump to get the shell, and keep jumping and going right until you feel you have lost momentum (I do 5 jumps). Then z-jump to get out of the shell and twirl until you reach the ground.
Still can't! Dang that's tough.

ferunnico

Oct 29, 2017
Straight from SMB 1. Fun little 1-1-like level. Felt very natural to speedrun. Needless to say world record is mine! Gute Arbeit!
Thanks for playing! And nice world record, I think my personal best was around the 30 seconds mark too. I guess the emphasis on mostly very flat and horizontal platforming makes for a natural speedrunning level, even though I certainly didn't design it in with that in mind.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
So you know how sometimes you sit on levels for the longest time?
Here's one I've sat on since Day 1!

The Sunken, Sinking Spire
N8G-87B-77G

800px-SMG_Sinking_Lava_Spire.png

+
VanillaFortress.png

=(use your imagination because no pic!)

Something that I mention in relevant threads every now and again is that I've always loved Vanilla Fortress in Super Mario World, water in a castle theme? how OUTRAGEOUS!
Thanks to the darkness of the night, we can now make aquatic castles, alas with a worse background and the fact that lava is still there looking dumb as heck.

So here's ANOTHER vertical lava chase stage (I know, I know, but this was my launch day experiment, it was new and exciting two weeks ago!).
I was never quite satisfied with the pacing for this one, hence why I shelved it for so long, the fastest lava speed is way too fast, the medium feels a bit slow but that might just be the ol' "it's my stage and I know where everything is placed" syndrome.
Spacing out hazards so you could ascend while reacting to them was tricky to gauge, wasn't too sure how many mushrooms to throw down.

The attempt here was to make a kinda novel water stage, water haters and lovers alike, feedback for this would be swell so I can figure out how to continue approaching the eternal quest for an engaging water stage.
I feel like the final stretch has slip up potential, one for going a touch too fast and barely losing something important to finish, the other because RNG elements gonna RNG.

I've also got another half water stage lurking on my profile I uploaded earlier this week and people seem to like that one (Doubloon Lagoon) so maybe compare and contrast.

ferunnico

Oct 29, 2017
JooizoG.png

Quick reminder that there are 2 days left to submit your course for our Discord server's first Course of the Week contest! (Not to be confused with the ResetEra Level Competition from this OT)

You don't want to submit a course? We still need your help! Play the courses that have already been submitted and vote for your favorite ones. The 5 courses with the most votes will duke it out in our final poll for the title of Course of the Week!

And just in case you didn't even know we had a Discord server: MakerEra is the official Discord server for ResetEra's Mario Maker 2 community. We have channels for course sharing, contests, design discussion and general chatting. Come by and say hello!

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
ERY1DGO.jpg

Level ID: 69J-773-36G

Title: Get it While it's Hot

Difficulty: ~World 4 in a traditional Mario.

Description: Avoid the rising lava to escape the castle. Can you make it out with all big coins?

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I made my first level. It's called Twisted Turves. GCY-NLP-3MF

I put a bit of effort into this one to make it mechanically interesting, even if it's a simple puzzle solver.

Oct 25, 2017
You have no idea how close I was to completely giving up trying to figure out the timing on that darn On/off block section. Everything outside of that was a piece of cake in comparison. First clear hype!

Just wanted to congratulate you for the first clear, belatedly, and to commiserate with somebody else who suffered through this one. I spent longer on this level than I have on any other in SMM2 so far, mostly from the sunk cost fallacy of figuring everything out up to the on/off segment and wanting to see it through, but also because I had a blast with NetMapel's other big challenge level (Chain Chomp Palace) in both SMM1 and SMM2. (And, well, because I thought the first clear was up for grabs—but you beat me to it while I was still in the early stages of working on it, and my second clear was about two hours behind you.)

Not being able to predict whether the on/off switch would stop on red or blue was the biggest sticking point for me, because the timing on that would be affected by the smallest fluctuations in how the rest of the level had gone up to that point: if I did something even slightly differently, like make an early mistake and recover from it, knowing where to land before going down the pipe would be a total coin-flip. Let's just say there is a reason that 267s on the clock (the time at which the lava is high enough to stop the switch) is a number seared into my memory. And because getting past that point took me so long to get down consistently—I needed to work out both a red plan and a blue plan, and switch from one to the other at the very last instance—I also never got a consistent pattern down for controlling how the Thwomp tower drops, especially because it was so hard to gauge how high I was in that segment, and just had to play reactively. On the good attempts it would feel really easy; on the bad attempts, everything about it would be disorderly.

Tremendous fun, and very solvable step by step, but right at the upper limit of difficulty that I'm willing to handle in this game. I recorded a few clips myself with the Capture button, but I'll have to offload them from my SD card.

Also, did you happen to have a ton of trouble with the first wall jump at the start of the level? That forced dozens of quick restarts by itself, because I couldn't always get it to fire; either I was misreading the 3DW geometry/animation of making contact with the wall, or the game was detecting that as a landing on the first side-Thwomp.

So here's ANOTHER vertical lava chase stage (I know, I know, but this was my launch day experiment, it was new and exciting two weeks ago!).
I was never quite satisfied with the pacing for this one, hence why I shelved it for so long, the fastest lava speed is way too fast, the medium feels a bit slow but that might just be the ol' "it's my stage and I know where everything is placed" syndrome.
Spacing out hazards so you could ascend while reacting to them was tricky to gauge, wasn't too sure how many mushrooms to throw down.

The attempt here was to make a kinda novel water stage, water haters and lovers alike, feedback for this would be swell so I can figure out how to continue approaching the eternal quest for an engaging water stage.
I feel like the final stretch has slip up potential, one for going a touch too fast and barely losing something important to finish, the other because RNG elements gonna RNG.

Saw this come up fresh on the top of my list when I checked my subscription queue for the first time today, so I scrambled to get the first clear before your post here even came up, and beat the next guy to it by about a minute. (I got a notification when the second clear beat my time, as I was pretty sloppy—even took one death from the skewers—and there was no way mine was going to hold.) I've been in the middle of figuring out how to make night castle interesting myself, so it was nice to see this one come up, even though the obstacles are mostly those that behave the same way in the water theme, making this mostly a water stage with castle art, with a few exceptions.

I've had the "vertical auto-scroll conversation" with a few people this week, which is to say that I've somewhat soured on vertical climb stages that match the auto-scroll to the rising lava/poison to enforce the designer's intended difficulty. I see a lot of designers do this because the lava/poison speed feels either too easy or too hard, without a good middle ground, and so they force the player to go at their pace. It feels a lot more painful than horizontal auto-scroll because of the wide aspect ratio and therefore how little room for movement you have, how easily you fall outside the screen boundary, and how little visibility you have for seeing what's coming. Whenever I play these, I'm fighting the ceiling the whole time, not the rising floor or the actual level design.

Here, where there isn't a screen auto-scroll, I barely even noticed there was rising lava because I was just going up and up at my own pace. And it was fun. The obstacles themselves, particularly timed elements like skewers, worked far better as a pacing tool and I had a lot more freedom this way. It's much closer to how Nintendo's ascents motivate horizontal movement or pausing and waiting, and it's vindicated my belief that a designer asking, "Is this scroll speed too easy or too hard?" should err on the side of player freedom and accommodate a broad band of skill. This was on the easy side for me, but it won't be for everybody, and it's better in either case for the player to be in control. People shouldn't be so afraid of letting more advanced players get ahead; the solution to that is to design more incentives for them to willingly slow down.

The ending was a bit weird in my run because I outpaced the Clown Car before it had blown up enough of a gap for me to slip through as big Mario, but I think chase sequences generally have a rough time with SMM's spawn/despawn rules.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh man you can only have 3 Meowsers on screen at once. Like any good creator I figured the more Meowsers I added would make the level better. Guess the level is only a 3/10. But that's ok I spammed the level with enough other enemies without rhyme or reason that should make it better.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Minecart Mayhem: Thwomp Canyon
00P-HC5-LXF

I tried my hand at making a level inspired by DKC Minecart levels, where you just have to jump while traveling quickly. No steering needed.
I used 3D World and the Koopa Car. All deadly jumps have a red arrow, and there are 2 checkpoints.

I put many hours into it, and would appreciate anyone who could take a couple minutes to give it a go. It's got plenty of jumps and plenty of theatrics. :)
qao71pQ.jpg
Q36BZQo.jpg

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Made a 20 second speedrun level, because I thought why not? Those are actually pretty fun to make. I believe the difficulty is quite challenging on a blind playthrough but it's hard to judge for myself.
Would appreciate if someone gives it a try and leaves some feedback.

Name: [20 Sec] CloudTop Shellscape
Level ID: 6W3-QGL-C2H

Description: Dashing through the winds, Jumping for the Clouds [20 seconds speedrun]
Difficulty: Hard (?)

d_jz4otu0aad3ag5jjpy.jpg

ezgif-5-2346b98127d22rjdi.gif

Last edited:

ffdgh

Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom
Just wanted to congratulate you for the first clear, belatedly, and to commiserate with somebody else who suffered through this one. I spent longer on this level than I have on any other in SMM2 so far, mostly from the sunk cost fallacy of figuring everything out up to the on/off segment and wanting to see it through, but also because I had a blast with NetMapel's other big challenge level (Chain Chomp Palace) in both SMM1 and SMM2. (And, well, because I thought the first clear was up for grabs—but you beat me to it while I was still in the early stages of working on it, and my second clear was about two hours behind you.)

Not being able to predict whether the on/off switch would stop on red or blue was the biggest sticking point for me, because the timing on that would be affected by the smallest fluctuations in how the rest of the level had gone up to that point: if I did something even slightly differently, like make an early mistake and recover from it, knowing where to land before going down the pipe would be a total coin-flip. Let's just say there is a reason that 267s on the clock (the time at which the lava is high enough to stop the switch) is a number seared into my memory. And because getting past that point took me so long to get down consistently—I needed to work out both a red plan and a blue plan, and switch from one to the other at the very last instance—I also never got a consistent pattern down for controlling how the Thwomp tower drops, especially because it was so hard to gauge how high I was in that segment, and just had to play reactively. On the good attempts it would feel really easy; on the bad attempts, everything about it would be disorderly.

Tremendous fun, and very solvable step by step, but right at the upper limit of difficulty that I'm willing to handle in this game. I recorded a few clips myself with the Capture button, but I'll have to offload them from my SD card.

Also, did you happen to have a ton of trouble with the first wall jump at the start of the level? That forced dozens of quick restarts by itself, because I couldn't always get it to fire; either I was misreading the 3DW geometry/animation of making contact with the wall, or the game was detecting that as a landing on the first side-Thwomp.
I eventually found a pattern for the spike blocks so they don't drive me nuts anymore. As for the start heck yes. Mario refused to stick to the wall jump so many times.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this come up fresh on the top of my list when I checked my subscription queue for the first time today, so I scrambled to get the first clear before your post here even came up, and beat the next guy to it by about a minute. (I got a notification when the second clear beat my time, as I was pretty sloppy—even took one death from the skewers—and there was no way mine was going to hold.) I've been in the middle of figuring out how to make night castle interesting myself, so it was nice to see this one come up, even though the obstacles are mostly those that behave the same way in the water theme, making this mostly a water stage with castle art, with a few exceptions.

I've had the "vertical auto-scroll conversation" with a few people this week, which is to say that I've somewhat soured on vertical climb stages that match the auto-scroll to the rising lava/poison to enforce the designer's intended difficulty. I see a lot of designers do this because the lava/poison speed feels either too easy or too hard, without a good middle ground, and so they force the player to go at their pace. It feels a lot more painful than horizontal auto-scroll because of the wide aspect ratio and therefore how little room for movement you have, how easily you fall outside the screen boundary, and how little visibility you have for seeing what's coming. Whenever I play these, I'm fighting the ceiling the whole time, not the rising floor or the actual level design.

Here, where there isn't a screen auto-scroll, I barely even noticed there was rising lava because I was just going up and up at my own pace. And it was fun. The obstacles themselves, particularly timed elements like skewers, worked far better as a pacing tool and I had a lot more freedom this way. It's much closer to how Nintendo's ascents motivate horizontal movement or pausing and waiting, and it's vindicated my belief that a designer asking, "Is this scroll speed too easy or too hard?" should err on the side of player freedom and accommodate a broad band of skill. This was on the easy side for me, but it won't be for everybody, and it's better in either case for the player to be in control. People shouldn't be so afraid of letting more advanced players get ahead; the solution to that is to design more incentives for them to willingly slow down.

The ending was a bit weird in my run because I outpaced the Clown Car before it had blown up enough of a gap for me to slip through as big Mario, but I think chase sequences generally have a rough time with SMM's spawn/despawn rules.
Useful feedback as always.

Yes the clown car at the end was one of those things where it worked fine every time up until my final checkpoint clear check and I just got lazy and left it in because I'm kinda expecting to go back and tweak this one, not a great excuse I know.
I could probably just shorten that stretch.
Or even just have the stage end after the ascent, I'm not sure there's anyone out there who'll be getting into my DEEPEST LORE of Mario Maker where "Propeller Podoboo" and "Lockup Lakitu" return from the Owl SMW Castle collection of Maker 1.

Onto the vertical scroll points, yeah I was trying to dictate some pace with yellow blocks of the SMW style giving a kinda delay approach to moving up, but I was also aware that going overboard with such slowing elements can just tip things into tedium, having just a few seemed a solid compromise to add at least some tension to the very gradually pursuing lava and stopping the player from speeding straight up into incoming hazards.

Notably I replayed some New Super Mario Bros 2 stages the day before SMM2 launched and that game loves its autoscrollers and its water, and both together. I came to a conclusion playing these that autoscrolling with water is risky game to play, I'm not sure the NSMB2 devs really figured it out either (when your penultimate secret world stage is a slooooow water castle autoscroller that offers little else than bonefish, you know it's hard times).

Anywho, the point about adding incentives to slow down rings true, I really only managed to sneak two tiny delay worthy big coins in there, a consequence of my sorta cramped tower approach.
Thanks for playing as usual!

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Has anyone compiled a list of notible developer I'd codes?
This is my ongoing list of game developers, game journalists, and other notables.

GC0-BJM-HBG : Nintendo US (Official Invitational Courses)

JVY-3W4-11H : Maddy - Developer of Celeste

DVS-SC8-N0G : Braden CCB - Tough Levels
QYC-V7C-BHF : bruhhhhh - Fun levels
974-00B-RSG : DanSalvato - Lethal Ejection course creator

96T-FTR-BRG : PePanga - Speed Runner, Kaizo Levels
SG1-F9D-42G : GPB - Grand Poo Bear, Mario Speed Runner, Kaizo Training
D2G-W84-50H : LarlSagan - CarlSagan42, Speed Runner, Kaizo Levels

VPQ-84B-KYF : DanRyckert - Giant Bomb Editor
84B-B1N-4MG : Jeff.Zone - Jeff Gerstman, Giant Bomb Editor
LHH-9VB-F2H : PackBenPac - Ben Pack, Giant Bomb Editor
NNM-6Q8-NGF : Fobwashed - Giant Bomb Community
61K-V1V-L0G : TurboMan - Giant Bomb Community

2PJ-8HL-3PG : Kobun - Chris Kohler
7K7-YH8-R7G : PKlepek - Patrick Klepek, Vice Games
G76-0CS-3SF : Tim Turi - Former Game Informer, Now Capcom

405-052-WSF : RubberRoss - Game Grumps

485-X4Q-KXG : Matilder - ResetEra Member, Captain Matilder
29V-SMD-4JF : GokouD - ResetEra Member

21Q-LXQ-DMF - Freedom Planet Director
T4S-TJG-LVF - Sable dev
4QV-FFQ-YNF - Doki Doki Literature Club Dev
LK2-2BQ-L0H - Stanley Parable Dev
QW4-P23-L0H - Iconoclasts Dev
DB4-S2B-X2G - Kuso Dev
80G-TYK-F7G - Kyle and Lucy Programmer
6W4-FW5-6MG - Flinthook Designer
6KP-4WN-LVF - Charmlings Dev
TK3-1YX-SQG - Slime-san Dev
9X4-916-XMG - Commander Keen Designer

FBJ-JFK-15G : donsy - Youtuber, videogamedunkey
YDM-T6Q-RSF: Sjosz - Bioware Senior level designer
GHN-F3X-QVF : Dimbleby - Snipperclips Creative Director

JGX-MQ8-VRG: Arby's

Oct 25, 2017

This is from way back in the earliest pages of the thread, but I only noticed a few days ago that you had remade this one from SMM1, and since I'd put in all that time to clear the stage a few months ago I thought I'd take a crack at it again for, let's see... the third clear (and the first two were both from your country, so I assume they're people you know, and you locked them up until they did it).

I didn't remember my timings from back then, of course, and I wish I had taken notes. But this time around I actually found the level to be a strangely calm experience. It's probably because I had done it before, but also because I was over the psychological hump of thinking about it as a stop-and-start timing puzzle with safe spots around any corner, and there was no need to panic—I just needed to figure out what my windows were and which fire bars to watch, and the rest of it would come together. And so it did. It still took a few dozen attempts to put it all together, mind you, but unlike the last time I wasn't sweating all over my controller and wondering how in hell I would ever thread this needle.

Still every bit as enjoyable as it was the last time; I'll be sure to catch up on some of your new work in SMM2.

itschris

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I had quite the surprise waiting for me when I started the game today! My course made it to the Weekly Popular list:

6s2vJ4A.jpg

VVRelgN.jpg

Until today, my course was at around 35 likes and 70 plays, so seeing this was a shock. If the image isn't loading for some reason, the Course ID is DJS-GRK-T6G.

Minecart Mayhem: Thwomp Canyon
00P-HC5-LXF

I tried my hand at making a level inspired by DKC Minecart levels, where you just have to jump while traveling quickly. No steering needed.
I used 3D World and the Koopa Car. All deadly jumps have a red arrow, and there are 2 checkpoints.

I put many hours into it, and would appreciate anyone who could take a couple minutes to give it a go. It's got plenty of jumps and plenty of theatrics. :)
qao71pQ.jpg
Q36BZQo.jpg

That was great! it was a real spectacle - you definitely captured the feel of a DKC minecart level.

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a way to control what the camera reveals in certain areas? For example I'd like to block off the vision to the right of a room so the player can't see something in there. It scrolls slightly too far to reveal a thing I'd rather not be shown (not an auto scroll level)

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I had quite the surprise waiting for me when I started the game today! My course made it to the Weekly Popular list:

6s2vJ4A.jpg

VVRelgN.jpg

Until today, my course was at around 35 likes and 70 plays, so seeing this was a shock. If the image isn't loading for some reason, the Course ID is DJS-GRK-T6G.

Congrats. If it means anything, I had some of my friends try your level and they really enjoyed it. Any era levels I think are excellent I send out to my friends to play :)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm working on a new level and even though I think it's good nearing 3/4 of it I almost feel like I could make 2 whole levels out of it instead of 1.The doubt is setting in on whether it's where it needs to be.

Last edited:

GlassBackDaz

Oct 29, 2017
Nottingham
Hi there fellow makers, I had Mario Maker 1, but never created any courses on it, thought I'd change that with 2. I'm still getting used to what everything does, but I'd appreciate it if anyone could play and give me feedback on my first two levels.

First up is Sky High. Pretty standard level with a secret shortcut.

And the next one is Castle Infiltration.

These won't be as good as the many awesome levels I've played from this thread, but I would welcome any and all feedback to help me improve in the future.

Thanks.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Another course in the books for y'all.

Bully Tracker: JLB-MMJ-VHG
I'm not going to say too much about this one. It is probably the hardest course I've made thus far, but that's not saying much. Very fun linear challenge course methinks.
Three Dee Road: 7QJ-GV1-NRF
Spiny Central: TCS-FKL-WQG
Retro Road Redux: RVQ-8HS-R1G
Cheep-Cheep River Remix: GCC-H6N-4MG
Scorched Tower Ruins: 67F-421-6RF
Sand Springs: LCB-F5J-J5G
Overflow Frontier: 639-C0V-BGF

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When you use auto-scroll on cheetah speed and you just stand still at the leftmost side, the screen will push you forward when Mario is on the last tile. But if an obstacle is coming at you and you don't jump early, it can push Mario partially or entirely outside the screen but you are still alive. Does anyone know how to deal with this? It's kinda awkward to play like that. I remember some levels in MM1 put a bullet bill cannon on a cloud that acted as a wall but can you do something like this in 3D World? I found a more organic solution, placing a conveyor belt to help you get back into the screen much faster which works but ideally I want to make a level where the player just stands still and only uses the face buttons to jump etc.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
JooizoG.png

Quick reminder that there are 2 days left to submit your course for our Discord server's first Course of the Week contest! (Not to be confused with the ResetEra Level Competition from this OT)

You don't want to submit a course? We still need your help! Play the courses that have already been submitted and vote for your favorite ones. The 5 courses with the most votes will duke it out in our final poll for the title of Course of the Week!

And just in case you didn't even know we had a Discord server: MakerEra is the official Discord server for ResetEra's Mario Maker 2 community. We have channels for course sharing, contests, design discussion and general chatting. Come by and say hello!

Is that time also the deadline for starring levels, or do we have a bit longer for that?

Deleted member 24540

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is there a way to control what the camera reveals in certain areas? For example I'd like to block off the vision to the right of a room so the player can't see something in there. It scrolls slightly too far to reveal a thing I'd rather not be shown (not an auto scroll level)

You can, by creating a wall from the very bottom of the screen that goes all the way up to the top. A thickness of 1 tile is enough.

Also, if you have placed a single object somewhere in the upper screens (above the thick black lines), then that part needs to be walled off as well, since it has been "activated" by the presence of that object.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I made a level based off of the game Downwell because of course I did. Hope you enjoy, and I'd love some feedback.

Downwell

0X7-YHD-GLF

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
..That was great! it was a real spectacle - you definitely captured the feel of a DKC minecart level.
Thanks a lot. I must have spent near 10+ hours on it. I actually hit the limit for most parts too, on both layers!

I played and liked your Saw Blades in the Sky as well and I thought it was really good. It feels like a real Mario level. Congrats on it becoming a hit. I hope to get one of those someday too. ;)

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I tried to make a fun level based on good enemy placement and a spaceship theme.

Infiltrate the Goomba Mothership and take out the king Goomba.

I hope you enjoy!

D-4mohRU0AExjl7

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I finally made a stage I wanted to share. It can be beaten in 5 seconds, but well, you need to try it,
it's called

Cage Match: QRT-2KD-1DG

, the world record is close to my clear time. I made it to appeal to a specific type of player that just wants something quick that uses some mechanics but doesn't feel cheap.

Still trying to explore all the stuff in this game. I don't have the time a lot of others do, but even with all of its warts it is cool to see what everyone else is creating.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
More of my slightly sadistic nostalgia: The Eight Gauntlets
DS4-63L-9YG
Parts of all eight SMB3 airship levels mashed up into one long slog. Don't get impatient.

My Maker ID: YST-94H-V1H

Last edited:

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
NES Art Gallery
XQP-CB9-1NF

Please give it a shot! It's an "art gallery" featuring 8-bit pixel art from classic franchises:

- Super Mario Bros.
- The Legend of Zelda
- Mega Man
- Dragon Quest
- Metroid

Enjoy!

Oct 29, 2017
You can, by creating a wall from the very bottom of the screen that goes all the way up to the top. A thickness of 1 tile is enough.

Also, if you have placed a single object somewhere in the upper screens (above the thick black lines), then that part needs to be walled off as well, since it has been "activated" by the presence of that object.
I feel that I have a straight vertical 1 block thick line of ground material and the camera does not get stopped when I reach this wall. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong :(

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Wanted to give my level a quick repost here and see if anyone has any feedback:

Piranha Creep Creek: VRV-H9W-D6G

Its a standard platforming level- fairly straightforward and easy. I recently re-worked it quite a bit because the pacing was off but now feel like it may be too easy. I spent way more time on this level than I did my first (which is eclipsing this one in plays/likes) and I'm curious as to why this one doesnt seem to be resonating as well. Any feedback is welcome, and I am more than happy to try out folks levels in return!
I liked this. It wasn't difficult but that's good for this style level. I one-shoted it but still got hit a few times. Pace was good, I was always moving. And I liked how you swim back toward the start of the level.

If you're up for playing one in return, the new level I'm tinkering with is 826-26L-00H. It's a horror themed level utlizing the rotten mushroom.

Deleted member 24540

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I feel that I have a straight vertical 1 block thick line of ground material and the camera does not get stopped when I reach this wall. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong :(

Maybe you are spawning Mario too close to the wall when you go into test mode. Try placing him a little more to the left and walk towards the wall; the camera should not scroll past it.

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Very creative! The use of tracks at the top to "hang" it was clever, and use of on/off blocks to complete the picture was cool.

Some ideas of what else you could do:

- Perhaps use less music effects, some people say they find them annoying when overused
- for the next level, could you think of more ways to interact with the picture so you need to complete it (and get a key) in order to pass? That would be cool!
- you could also add some moving parts to bring them to life! Something simple like using a crane to drop the final block into place yourself (and then get the key) would be nice!

NES Art Gallery
XQP-CB9-1NF

Please give it a shot! It's an "art gallery" featuring 8-bit pixel art from classic franchises:

- Super Mario Bros.
- The Legend of Zelda
- Mega Man
- Dragon Quest
- Metroid

Enjoy!

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Could someone please give me constructive feedback on my latest level? I've tried to improve upon my earlier efforts, but haven't had much feedback since. My maker ID is S0N-SGH-CVF

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
I finally made a stage I wanted to share. It can be beaten in 5 seconds, but well, you need to try it,
it's called

Cage Match: QRT-2KD-1DG

, the world record is close to my clear time. I made it to appeal to a specific type of player that just wants something quick that uses some mechanics but doesn't feel cheap.

Still trying to explore all the stuff in this game. I don't have the time a lot of others do, but even with all of its warts it is cool to see what everyone else is creating.
Five seconds you say?

r11OidX.jpg