• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand the discoverability of levels in this. It made perfect sense in the first but this one just baffles me. My Skeleton Quay level sat at like fifty plays for the past four days and now all of a sudden it's hit over three hundred today.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Could someone please give me constructive feedback on my latest level? I've tried to improve upon my earlier efforts, but haven't had much feedback since. My maker ID is S0N-SGH-CVF
It looks nice but several of the shots are annoying to make. You sometimes need to move the screen so the superball doesn't despawn before hitting your target. This is especially frustrating for the turtle sitting on the platform to the right of the flag. I had a time out death at one point because I couldn't line it up properly and realized I need to run right after taking the shot for it to hit. That's obtuse. Some coins to guide the player would really help.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Could someone please give me constructive feedback on my latest level? I've tried to improve upon my earlier efforts, but haven't had much feedback since. My maker ID is S0N-SGH-CVF

I just played it. Didn't realize I had actually already played it and commented in game haha. Oh well. Anyway, it's a really creative level, I think you designed it to be the perfect length and the foreshadowing like someone said with how you kill the last Goomba is well done. One thing to note is while I was playing around with the level I realized you can soft lock yourself if you ride the clown car up and jump out. It doesn't come back down and you're just stuck. Perhaps a door at the bottom just to reset the car would solve this. It's not common to get soft locked since it didn't happen the first time I played it. Something to keep in mind for future designs.

Thematically it's on point. Very visually concise, good use of sound effects and animation. Not too much but enough to add effect. The moles coming down adds a slight bit of chaos which is good. I would fully extend the timer to 500s. I have never made a level with clear conditions so I don't know first hand but I think the way you designed this was superb.

People should play it, it's the best superball level I have played.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
I made a level based off of the game Downwell because of course I did. Hope you enjoy, and I'd love some feedback.

Downwell

0X7-YHD-GLF
I don't know if I was just lucky or if the placement of the enemies is intentional, but I just blitzed through this pretty much butt stomping on every screen. Think of some ways you can force the player to engage with the route more.

Also, did you make this using two horizontal layouts? It did not seem like any of the sections were very vertical, despite the theme. It may be better to use fewer warp pipes and give yourself larger rooms.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
I made a level based off of the game Downwell because of course I did. Hope you enjoy, and I'd love some feedback.

Downwell

0X7-YHD-GLF
I don't know this game, but maybe you could better place your checkpoints? They are too close and after rooms that are not too hard, then you have three boss fights (I died at Koopa) straight away. Will try to beat it again.

Edit: got 'softlocked' two times between Bowser and the right wall, but finally beat it. Maybe put your 2 CP after the 2 boom boom fights? I don't know.

Last edited:

sigmaxchange

Banned
May 9, 2018
Orlando, FL
Just finished 2 new levels, feedback is always appreciated! Can't wait to try all the others posted on here too!

Grinder Hook Up | ID: LMN-016-G2H

Kitty Girl, It's Mario World | ID: LY3-FPS-VYG

Oct 27, 2017
I liked this. It wasn't difficult but that's good for this style level. I one-shoted it but still got hit a few times. Pace was good, I was always moving. And I liked how you swim back toward the start of the level.

If you're up for playing one in return, the new level I'm tinkering with is 826-26L-00H. It's a horror themed level utlizing the rotten mushroom.
Nice dude that was an awesome level, super clever and well designed! I did get stuck at a point near the end because I accidentally picked up the bomb... might need a reset door there... other than that I really enjoyed it!

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I just played it. Didn't realize I had actually already played it and commented in game haha. Oh well. Anyway, it's a really creative level, I think you designed it to be the perfect length and the foreshadowing like someone said with how you kill the last Goomba is well done. One thing to note is while I was playing around with the level I realized you can soft lock yourself if you ride the clown car up and jump out. It doesn't come back down and you're just stuck. Perhaps a door at the bottom just to reset the car would solve this. It's not common to get soft locked since it didn't happen the first time I played it. Something to keep in mind for future designs.

Thematically it's on point. Very visually concise, good use of sound effects and animation. Not too much but enough to add effect. The moles coming down adds a slight bit of chaos which is good. I would fully extend the timer to 500s. I have never made a level with clear conditions so I don't know first hand but I think the way you designed this was superb.

People should play it, it's the best superball level I have played.

(Re: VWN-FN0-LDF)

I didn't even think about the potential softlock or the timer, you're right about both of those!

As a learning point, these mistakes stem from the most common creator mistake:

Knowing your own level so well that you don't foresee the problems others might encounter when playing it.

I appreciate the feedback to help reduce doing that myself, thanks!

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
5-2 Which-Way Manor is ready to haunt players who try to find their way out!
With something as complicated as this to plan out and structure, there's a risk of soft locks or ways to cheese the level, so lemme know if you find any. At any rate, lemme know if you like the level/any other feedback you may have.

6-2which-waymanorbyphlsk3w.png

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
(Re: VWN-FN0-LDF)

I didn't even think about the potential softlock or the timer, you're right about both of those!

As a learning point, these mistakes stem from the most common creator mistake:

Knowing your own level so well that you don't foresee the problems others might encounter when playing it.

I appreciate the feedback to help reduce doing that myself, thanks!

I dunno if you played Mario Maker 1 but if you've only ever made 3 levels then this stuff is inevitable early on. The level is very good imo. Things in it can be fixed for new levels you make but those issues I pointed out aren't that big a deal imo given it's not a long level.

You'll always learn new things as you design. Today I randomly stumbled on something in a level I was making that would have been so bad if I didn't catch it. And it was a total accident. Sometimes you just have to make the level, test it a bunch and then let the wolves at it.

I appreciate you're trying new things with the mechanics. Many of the things like clear conditions I haven't even touched since I don't think I could do it justice. Keep at it.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Very creative! The use of tracks at the top to "hang" it was clever, and use of on/off blocks to complete the picture was cool.

Some ideas of what else you could do:

- Perhaps use less music effects, some people say they find them annoying when overused
- for the next level, could you think of more ways to interact with the picture so you need to complete it (and get a key) in order to pass? That would be cool!
- you could also add some moving parts to bring them to life! Something simple like using a crane to drop the final block into place yourself (and then get the key) would be nice!
Hey, those are good ideas, thanks! I was thinking of some kind of interactivity, but for this one I wanted to keep it as stress-free as possible. I think I want to incorporate some of these ideas for the next one.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
5-2 Which-Way Manor is ready to haunt players who try to find their way out!
With something as complicated as this to plan out and structure, there's a risk of soft locks or ways to cheese the level, so lemme know if you find any. At any rate, lemme know if you like the level/any other feedback you may have.

6-2which-waymanorbyphlsk3w.png
I enjoyed this a ton. I felt lost the whole time, but in the end it was controlled confusion. It seemed well designed in a way that you will eventually stumble into the right path. Atmosphere was good and a liked the puzzles.

Core Zero

Oct 25, 2017
My latest creation! Tried going with a bit of a theme here, made it more forgiving and added check points!

Got the first clear on this one. Definitely in the Very Hard category, but pretty well designed if that's what you were going for. A lot of the sections had me going "you expect me to do what? " But everything had a doable solution with patience. It would have been nice to have a visual indicator of where the Thwomps "home point" was in the horizontal Thwomp section, because I got got caught out a couple times by just misjudging how far they would go back. Also, the checkpoint placement is odd, having two in quick succession, so there are 2 longish execution sections with a single part wrapped in checkpoints.

Also, is the last section supposed to be bait? I was really surprised when I went down the pipe and that was it, as opposed to having to go up to where the other Thwomps were. I didn't bother checking if anything was up there.

Diggeh

Oct 25, 2017

Was originally working on a generic Super Mushroom factory but decided to make it more story-based! That was fun to twist up!

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I made another slide course, but this one is just a fun romp down slides unless you want to try to find 5 optional key coins to access a secret room!

Super easy but I had fun making it. Looking for feedback.

2C6-R0N-HXG

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
This is my ongoing list of game developers, game journalists, and other notables.

GC0-BJM-HBG : Nintendo US (Official Invitational Courses)

JVY-3W4-11H : Maddy - Developer of Celeste

DVS-SC8-N0G : Braden CCB - Tough Levels
QYC-V7C-BHF : bruhhhhh - Fun levels
974-00B-RSG : DanSalvato - Lethal Ejection course creator

96T-FTR-BRG : PePanga - Speed Runner, Kaizo Levels
SG1-F9D-42G : GPB - Grand Poo Bear, Mario Speed Runner, Kaizo Training
D2G-W84-50H : LarlSagan - CarlSagan42, Speed Runner, Kaizo Levels

VPQ-84B-KYF : DanRyckert - Giant Bomb Editor
84B-B1N-4MG : Jeff.Zone - Jeff Gerstman, Giant Bomb Editor
LHH-9VB-F2H : PackBenPac - Ben Pack, Giant Bomb Editor
NNM-6Q8-NGF : Fobwashed - Giant Bomb Community
61K-V1V-L0G : TurboMan - Giant Bomb Community

2PJ-8HL-3PG : Kobun - Chris Kohler
7K7-YH8-R7G : PKlepek - Patrick Klepek, Vice Games
G76-0CS-3SF : Tim Turi - Former Game Informer, Now Capcom

405-052-WSF : RubberRoss - Game Grumps

485-X4Q-KXG : Matilder - ResetEra Member, Captain Matilder
29V-SMD-4JF : GokouD - ResetEra Member

21Q-LXQ-DMF - Freedom Planet Director
T4S-TJG-LVF - Sable dev
4QV-FFQ-YNF - Doki Doki Literature Club Dev
LK2-2BQ-L0H - Stanley Parable Dev
QW4-P23-L0H - Iconoclasts Dev
DB4-S2B-X2G - Kuso Dev
80G-TYK-F7G - Kyle and Lucy Programmer
6W4-FW5-6MG - Flinthook Designer
6KP-4WN-LVF - Charmlings Dev
TK3-1YX-SQG - Slime-san Dev
9X4-916-XMG - Commander Keen Designer

FBJ-JFK-15G : donsy - Youtuber, videogamedunkey
YDM-T6Q-RSF: Sjosz - Bioware Senior level designer
GHN-F3X-QVF : Dimbleby - Snipperclips Creative Director

JGX-MQ8-VRG: Arby's

You're a star! Thank you.

The Poochy Kid can this be added to the OP?

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
V1.1 of PRISON BREAK is here!!

Help your Goombuddy escape from Bowser's prison! By any means necessary. Inspired by "True Friendship".

8J7-FRW-KFG

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017

New level! Mario's City Driving, 2M6-T4H-SNF. It's my first 3D World level, and I still don't have a great handle on how the pieces work together in this mode. The koopa car is somewhat limited in what it can do, but I think I made a decent little speed run level out of it. I also make use of scroll-stopping walls that are broken by bombs to reveal the next section of the stage.

Let me know what you think; putting this one together was a learning experience.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Finally! I thought my OCD would never let up... but the time has come.

My first level.

Super Maker World: Donkey Kong 4

6CR-86H-NQF

Please enjoy!

CLk0Gnz.jpg
Nice work with the theming and intro!! Unfortunately I spent too long waiting for moving platforms to return and the level often feels hampered by the vertical camera not having enough look-ahead. I didn't finish it, but might try again soon. It's a nice level.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is from way back in the earliest pages of the thread, but I only noticed a few days ago that you had remade this one from SMM1, and since I'd put in all that time to clear the stage a few months ago I thought I'd take a crack at it again for, let's see... the third clear (and the first two were both from your country, so I assume they're people you know, and you locked them up until they did it).

I didn't remember my timings from back then, of course, and I wish I had taken notes. But this time around I actually found the level to be a strangely calm experience. It's probably because I had done it before, but also because I was over the psychological hump of thinking about it as a stop-and-start timing puzzle with safe spots around any corner, and there was no need to panic—I just needed to figure out what my windows were and which fire bars to watch, and the rest of it would come together. And so it did. It still took a few dozen attempts to put it all together, mind you, but unlike the last time I wasn't sweating all over my controller and wondering how in hell I would ever thread this needle.

Still every bit as enjoyable as it was the last time; I'll be sure to catch up on some of your new work in SMM2.
Great, honoured you enjoyed the stage again despite all the craziness of it. And yeah, I know both of them, but I hadn't locked them up, they did it freely at their own pace in their own homes :p

My other four stages are very different btw, all more or less beginner courses with non of the Burn it Down craziness. Do hope you enjoy them though!

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Done with most of the story, Super Hammer was really worth it. Gonna focus on making levels now, want to study classic Nintendo levels at the same time, I think SMB1 & SMB3 in NES app will finally get some use.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I just tried it with hard blocks and it's also not working. Do I have to be playing the level outside of the edit tool for it to work?

Both ground blocks *and* hard blocks work. There's two aspects that catch people out, though:

* It only stops the *scroll* - if the screen is already over that area (as can happen when spawning into the game from the editor) it'll show both sides of the wall unless you run away and run back, or spawn Mario further away then move towards it.

* If you're only building on the lower screen of the level, it needs to be the full height of the screen (from thick line to the base). If you're putting any content on the upper screen, then you also need to build right up to the top of the playable level.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Land of Emerald and Azure
84W-GYK-5HG

I finally got around to finishing off another level last night, staying up much too late in the process. It's a fairly straightforward platforming level using the pipe forest theme with some underwater bits, I was aiming for a 50% + completion rate so I've tried to make it pretty easy, but it's always difficult to tell! There's 8 big coins to find, 5 30's and 3 10's. Unfortunately I think the pipe theme has been a bit done to death the last few days, but it was too late to change it!

I think for my next level I need to do something a bit more abstract and bouncy in the 3D World style, it's fun making heavily themed levels but it's a lot of effort!

Shayla

Oct 27, 2017
Meow & Squeaks!

NBM-6HH-VJF

My second level. A fairly hard level (Expert I'd say not SE) where you must use the cat suit to defeat all skipqueaks. Sadly you can't do clear condition so for defeat all enemies and not get hit so it's possible to get soft locked. Added a few extra bells but still a fairly hard level. Still not very good but hope y'all enjoy!

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I really don't understand the discoverability of levels in this. It made perfect sense in the first but this one just baffles me. My Skeleton Quay level sat at like fifty plays for the past four days and now all of a sudden it's hit over three hundred today.
Played this last night, but couldn't find the poster here who made it. Glad you mentioned the name again.

Great job! Some of the best aesthetics I've seen. I just love the SMB1 palatte in this game and this level does some of the new stuff really well with it.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Nice work with the theming and intro!! Unfortunately I spent too long waiting for moving platforms to return and the level often feels hampered by the vertical camera not having enough look-ahead. I didn't finish it, but might try again soon. It's a nice level.

Thank you and thanks for playing and returning with feedback! I was actaully struggling with the camera positioning while limiting myself to one screen per obstacle layout. I think I'm solving or getting my head around it with my next level haha Sounds like you almost reached my first checkpoint, the latter half of the level is much stronger than the first I feel, hope you can enjoy my whole fanboy sequel!

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Noob advice.

21a317b14dda5b638e648153f068418e.png

The first four elements are ground tile decorations. Every theme and style (main four) has them. They pop up at random when placing ground and can be rearranged and copied by selecting the block beneath. Also, you can copy and rearrange random ground tile decorations. Like the airship ones.

Use this advice to turn this...

bccaa0570be57e6043c8fe622d3a9a84.png

into this:

04baaee3883cb67800d9d0df51d38c03.png

Or embrace the chaos. Do whatever you want.
Thank you! I was wondering how people manipulate those. Tried deleting and replacing the same block over and over to get the piece I wanted (didn't work).

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I do hope the game will get content packs with new enemies, items, and such. I really need Torpedo Ted (can't place Bullet Bills upside down on surfaces) for my underwater levels, along with several Mario staples that are missing, such as Pokeys, Koopa Troops shells, etc.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I uploaded my very first Mario Maker level attempt today. It's not very original and probably not very good, but I'm proud I did something, and it was a blast to sit and tinker with to try and make it come together. Will try to make a decent, more standard type Mario level next. Here's a code in case anyone is interested. Feel free to provide tips or criticism, but I doubt I'll come back to this type of design again so it may be wasted on me.
NWDMDH1.jpg

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I don't know if I was just lucky or if the placement of the enemies is intentional, but I just blitzed through this pretty much butt stomping on every screen. Think of some ways you can force the player to engage with the route more.

Also, did you make this using two horizontal layouts? It did not seem like any of the sections were very vertical, despite the theme. It may be better to use fewer warp pipes and give yourself larger rooms.
Thanks for playing! Yeah the first room can be cheesed with butt stomp. That was kind of intentional to start out easy and then slowly get harder. You can't exactly do that in the next room because of the fire and ghosts, but i guess if you get lucky you can go right through them.
This uses horizontal and vertical. The main action areas are all vertical, but i used the pipes to bring things up like "levels" from the game. Unfortunately i didn't have enough space to make it completely vertical if i wanted to do it that way.
I don't know this game, but maybe you could better place your checkpoints? They are too close and after rooms that are not too hard, then you have three boss fights (I died at Koopa) straight away. Will try to beat it again.

Edit: got 'softlocked' two times between Bowser and the right wall, but finally beat it. Maybe put your 2 CP after the 2 boom boom fights? I don't know.
You're not the only one that got softlocked at Bowser. I tested it a bunch of times and that never happened, then it happened to me right after I uploaded it. I think I'm going to upload a new version that prevents it from happening today.
Perhaps I put a checkpoint before the first boss after the downward sections, then right before Bowser? That might work. I was going for the Downwell difficulty where you gotta fight the boss areas all at once, but that doesn't really translate well to this setting haha.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Bopopolis
L1Y-TYD-5VG

I wanted to make a pure platforming level after my last two gimmick levels. So I thought, why not use my favorite level from my favorite platformer (Tropical Freeze) as inspiration?

I also put in a couple of shortcuts you can cheese for the purpose of speedrunning (you can skip some jumps if you're careful). The generous checkpoints and twirl make it easy imo, but I am ok with that because I intended it as a speedrun level.

If you play it, let me know what you think.