• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
I uploaded my very first Mario Maker level attempt today. It's not very original and probably not very good, but I'm proud I did something, and it was a blast to sit and tinker with to try and make it come together. Will try to make a decent, more standard type Mario level next. Here's a code in case anyone is interested. Feel free to provide tips or criticism, but I doubt I'll come back to this type of design again so it may be wasted on me.
NWDMDH1.jpg

I really like it but I'm still yet to finish it, it really has that Metroid feel though, good work!

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for playing! Yeah the first room can be cheesed with butt stomp. That was kind of intentional to start out easy and then slowly get harder. You can't exactly do that in the next room because of the fire and ghosts, but i guess if you get lucky you can go right through them.
This uses horizontal and vertical. The main action areas are all vertical, but i used the pipes to bring things up like "levels" from the game. Unfortunately i didn't have enough space to make it completely vertical if i wanted to do it that way.

You're not the only one that got softlocked at Bowser. I tested it a bunch of times and that never happened, then it happened to me right after I uploaded it. I think I'm going to upload a new version that prevents it from happening today.
Perhaps I put a checkpoint before the first boss after the downward sections, then right before Bowser? That might work. I was going for the Downwell difficulty where you gotta fight the boss areas all at once, but that doesn't really translate well to this setting haha.
As I said, I don't know the game you based the level. If you want to stay true to it then let the CPs the way they are, it isn't like it's the end of the world though.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I do hope the game will get content packs with new enemies, items, and such. I really need Torpedo Ted (can't place Bullet Bills upside down on surfaces) for my underwater levels, along with several Mario staples that are missing, such as Pokeys, Koopa Troops shells, etc.
Interesting to consider what additional content may come. I'd love a SMB2 pack. It could be separated from other content like the 3DW stuff.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
I've been making some pretty difficult precision platforming levels, but not many people play them, haha. I would love some feedback, in anyone cares to give then a go!

Koopa Troopa Skies:
KRN-5S8-N5G
Koopa Troopa Revenge:
V5K-MRC-BKF

socksfelloff

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got the first clear on this one. Definitely in the Very Hard category, but pretty well designed if that's what you were going for. A lot of the sections had me going "you expect me to do what? " But everything had a doable solution with patience. It would have been nice to have a visual indicator of where the Thwomps "home point" was in the horizontal Thwomp section, because I got got caught out a couple times by just misjudging how far they would go back. Also, the checkpoint placement is odd, having two in quick succession, so there are 2 longish execution sections with a single part wrapped in checkpoints.

Also, is the last section supposed to be bait? I was really surprised when I went down the pipe and that was it, as opposed to having to go up to where the other Thwomps were. I didn't bother checking if anything was up there.

Thanks for the feedback! I actually tried to indicate where the thomps "home point" was but it actually changed depending on how you scrolled the screen and when you triggered the next thwomp. In the end I liked that it added some RNG to the section and with there being a checkpoint close by I figured it was fair. I also increased the height of the cieling so it wasn't pure kaizo there.

The thwomps at the end were supposed to be a small troll but in the end it didn't really work unless you jumped up and triggered them. I would definetly redesign it if I was doing a revision.

As for the end I kind of figured the level was long enough and decided to just end it. I thought the spikes would make you panic before realizing it was just a straight fall.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Currently working on a snow themed level. Expect some icicles, but not necessarily in a deadly way.
Afterwards I will try to do my own take on a Metroid/Mariovania. Never done one of these, but I like the concept. Will be fun.
Both will be SMB as usual.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
So I feel incredibly lucky with something that just happened...

I was at the local electronics shop where I usually purchase games. I just went there to buy some supplies for my work, and I was talking to a cool employee in the videogame section:

Employee: "So, Mario Maker 2 is cool, huh?"

Me: "Yeah, I've been enjoying it a lot! Speaking of which, I'm kinda sad that I didn't pre-order the game on time. That way I could of had that exclusive Switch stylus! I heard it was sold out everywhere, even in the online Nintendo Store" (I bought the game day one but I forgot to pre-order it beforehand. :P)

Employee: "Yeah, we received some styluses from Nintendo, but in limited quantities, too bad you didn't pre-order it.
Say, can you wait here a moment? I gotta go get something from storage. We will continue talking when I get back, OK?

Me: "Sure!"
(he then goes to a storage room and gets back quick)

Employee: "So man, see you around!"
(He then shakes my hand and I feel something inside my hand. I open it and I see this:
soxyjuW.jpg

Me: "Whoa! Thanks a lot, man! :O"
I say goodbye to him and leave the shop very happy! :D

RHANITAN

Oct 25, 2017
A short little level to test your dive cancel skills with the cat suit.

Dive Cancel Derby
BTR-H7H-8LG

i left tips for dive canceling in the comments of the level if you don't know how to do it

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
So I just finished Story Mode, but have a question

I finished the castle (the stain glass window was the last thing I did). I have more levels left, and there's still a blocked off part under ground to the left.

Is there more to do?

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I just finished Story Mode, but have a question

I finished the castle (the stain glass window was the last thing I did). I have more levels left, and there's still a blocked off part under ground to the left.

Is there more to do?

There is more to do and more stuff to unlock, yes. Interact with the various NPCs and objects within that space and you will figure it out.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
So I feel incredibly lucky with something that just happened...

I was at the local electronics shop where I usually purchase games. I just went there to buy some supplies for my work, and I was talking to a cool employee in the videogame section:

Employee: "So, Mario Maker 2 is cool, huh?"

Me: "Yeah, I've been enjoying it a lot! Speaking of which, I'm kinda sad that I didn't pre-order the game on time. That way I could of had that exclusive Switch stylus! I heard it was sold out everywhere, even in the online Nintendo Store" (I bought the game day one but I forgot to pre-order it beforehand. :P)

Employee: "Yeah, we received some styluses from Nintendo, but in limited quantities, too bad you didn't pre-order it.
Say, can you wait here a moment? I gotta go get something from storage. We will continue talking when I get back, OK?

Me: "Sure!"
(he then goes to a storage room and gets back quick)

Employee: "So man, see you around!"
(He then shakes my hand and I feel something inside my hand. I open it and I see this:
soxyjuW.jpg

Me: "Whoa! Thanks a lot, man! :O"
I say goodbye to him and leave the shop very happy! :D

Very nice of him!

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Is there any way to have scrolling section -> go underground -> go back above ground but no scrolling?
If you use a scroll stop you could go back up to a single room, or a bigger space if you walk left instead of right. I don't know if the autoscroll restarts if you go left from the scroll stop though.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
If you use a scroll stop you could go back up to a single room, or a bigger space if you walk left instead of right. I don't know if the autoscroll restarts if you go left from the scroll stop though.
I don't think you can go left if the screen is trying to scroll right, even if you're at a scroll stop

Would custom scrolling work? I don't know if you can set an end point with that

Deleted member 24540

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Onto the vertical scroll points, yeah I was trying to dictate some pace with yellow blocks of the SMW style giving a kinda delay approach to moving up, but I was also aware that going overboard with such slowing elements can just tip things into tedium, having just a few seemed a solid compromise to add at least some tension to the very gradually pursuing lava and stopping the player from speeding straight up into incoming hazards.

Pure waiting mechanics should be avoided unless they act as a breather within a longer section, but you can always tune the level such that if you go as fast as one possibly can, the lava will be just behind you. I'm not talking about artificial methods like auto scrolling etc. Replay the SMW style story mode level with the two banzai bills chasing you as good example of this. You barely get away each time, and it feels great.

It takes just enough time to get past the obstacles in the fastest method of playing for the tension to be maintained. This doesn't automatically make the level hard, it can still be welcoming in that it doesn't expect the player to pull off advanced techniques or having minimal windows of success. Some waiting is fine too, like having fish that move up and down in a pattern and it's a matter of timing to get by. The difficulty depends on how big of an interval the player has in getting through. Say the fish is on a rails 3 tiles long going up and down, and you need to slip by the middle. That will be hard in an underwater environment, if it's even possible. So to make it easier, you just increase the rails to 5 tiles, and have the opening to be at one of the ends, giving the player much more time to slip through. In those scenarios bite-sized challenges with checkpoints in between is key.

This is how one builds a stage specifically around a concept, optimizing the effect (in this case tension) by appropriate tuning. The proper Mario adventures don't really do this sort of thing, they are tuned for players of extremely low gaming experience.

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017
I'll play some of your levels a bit later today. I will look at the profile of people that played my new level and check their levels out in general first though.

Level name: Anger management issues
Level code: XL7-336-W4G
difficulty: Probably on the easier side of expertish. Though I could be underestimating it as well.
Notes about the level: Heavy usage of auto-scroll and scroll lock combination.
Length: short

I'll quote myself. If there's anyone that played my level here where I didn't play your levels. Let me know. (my Game maker id name is :Seini)

In the meantime I also made a shorter level that's mostly meant for multiplayer but should also be fun solo:
That's the whole stage, the final version looks slightly different (there's a checkpoint and fewer claws at the top) but other then that the level.

D_MKw23U8AARaVh.jpg:large

Level ID: QTQ-8W9-FPG

Just like with the other stage, I'll check the levels of people who play mine. It would be handy if you left a comment mentioning ERA or the like so I know it's coming from here :).

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
How do some of yall go about buulding levels and crucial elements?

Lately I have been building my levels in steps.

Step 1: Build the main world.
Step 2: Build the sub world
Step 3: Build the bonus room (if one exist)
Step 4: Place coins to ensure all the tricky jumps are telegraphed
Step 5: Playtest heavily trying to break the level
Step 6: Place checkpoints

Its been working on a fundamental level.

What have you guys been doing.

Oct 28, 2017
GRRRRRRRRRRRR

So if an upload fails you HAVE TO DO THE ENTIRE FUCKING CLEAR CHECK REPLAYING YOUR LEVEL AGAIN?!

Oh no you can't simply click a retry button that's too fucking simple Nintendo LETS MAKE THE PLAYER PLAY THE ENTIRE THING AGAIN BEFORE HE CAN UPLOAD

Fuck sake. That took fucking ages to get through that clear check I didn't make an easy level this time.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
GRRRRRRRRRRRR

So if an upload fails you HAVE TO DO THE ENTIRE FUCKING CLEAR CHECK REPLAYING YOUR LEVEL AGAIN?!

Oh no you can't simply click a retry button that's too fucking simple Nintendo LETS MAKE THE PLAYER PLAY THE ENTIRE THING AGAIN BEFORE HE CAN UPLOAD

Fuck sake. That took fucking ages to get through that clear check I didn't make an easy level this time.

Just put your hidden dev exit in the level, then you don't have to worry about doing it the proper way.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017

I roughly do about the same! Typically I try to follow the 4-step structure outlined by Mark Brown:

www.youtube.com

Super Mario 3D World's 4 Step Level Design

Super Mario 3D World is a game with creativity in abundance. But Nintendo has developed a reusable level design structure that allows for ideas to be properl...

Considering this, I typically make my levels with these ideas in mind:

1) Introductory Section: Create a safe area which serves as a showcase for the level's main gimmick or idea; in this section you cannot die and likely won't get hurt either, but you cannot pass until you showcase understanding of the level gimmick.

2) Gimmick Challenge: Players will be tested on their understanding of the level's main gimmick by overcoming obstacles that may or may not result in player damage or death.

3) Break Area(s): Create areas of levity where you can control Mario in a mostly safe environment (ex; sliding down a hill, jumping on bouncy mushrooms to collect coins, etc.).

4) Twist the Gimmick: Players will be challenged to overcome the gimmick, but with a slight twist to it to throw players off.

5) Finish to the Flag!: A short send-off where players get one last challenge before jumping to the top of the flag. The challenge usually entails that mastery means getting to the top of the flag, but sometimes it may involve actual threat of player damage or death.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States

Here we go! A compilation of all 97(!) submissions to the Official Level Competition, with creator, name, ID, and a short description! Judging will be done over the next few days, so the next competition may start before the results of this one ends. In the mean-time, try out some of the ones submitted this time!
This should have been ID only so that way bias is reduced when people select levels to judge.

Everyone plays 10-15 random levels, they do ranked choice for the levels they played.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I have to let everyone know this very important information.

These things?
SMM2_Galoombrat.png

SMM2_Galoombrat.png

SMM2_Galoombrat.png

SMM2_Galoombrat.png

They're called Goombuds.

Deleted member 24540

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I first settle on an idea that I want to explore, say the cat suit. Then I try to build some isolated platforming obstacles not connected to each other, using only ground tiles. What I do is I create obstacles that can only be overcome with the use of a specific ability, and see if that really is the case. I.e. is there another way to get past this, maybe if I wall jump? And I test all the possibilities, and adjust the design such that it can only be beaten in the particular way I want that part to highlight. This may sound stupid, because how hard is it to make a straight wall that can only be climbed over? Well, try doing that while introducing additional criteria, which for me is usually that the scenario should be entirely visible on a single screen, or at least that the camera should only scroll in one direction at a time.

So imagine you wall off the area around the thick black lines, and then within that limited space come up with ideas that are fun and can only be beaten by the intended method. You will find that there are a million ways to beat that part, because of wall jumping, air spin, climbing, long jumping, rolling off ledges... and the fact that Mario's jump covers half the screen. So there are really only a few possible designs that actually work. And not all of them are fun and/or interesting. For example, the levels Nintendo made where you are supposed to spawn crates with the super hammer powerup to make a staircase are broken in a sense because you can just do a spinning jump to clear them. So ideally they should make those platforms higher, but then it's a cumbersome and not so fun task to stack the boxes to get enough reach. So they just leave it like that, since most people don't know about that move anyway.

In the above process you learn what level layouts work and which ones that don't, for that specific level you want to make. I keep the good ones in their raw, unpolished form for later use. Maybe I get particularly excited for a certain feature of the powerup, then I will make that the focus of the level. After that I will try to nail the feeling/atmosphere the level should convey that matches the gameplay, by wise use of theme, music and sound effects. This is by far the hardest part for me, to come up with a theme and elements that fit that art style I'm going for, then matching them up with the level design itself to make sure that everything clicks, that it all feels cohesive, and that no compromise is made. It's frustrating and I barely make any progress for a long time, until I discover something cool by pure accident via a mistake when placing objects (lol), such as a specific pattern in the walls that looks aesthetically pleasing and fits with the theme. A basic example of what I mean is say you want to make a typical underground stage with a bunch of pipes in the ground and ceiling, then it might be a good idea color the safe ones green, while the pipes enemies pop out from have a different color, to maintain a constant forward momentum (if that's what you're going for). Then come up with situations that both look visually satisfying/pleasing (for example some kind of symmetry) and offer an interesting challenge; there are a ton of levels out there that have fantastic object and enemy placement but they look like absolute dogshit. Once I come up with patterns that work and fulfill all my insane criteria, the rest flows easily from there.

Now I'm making a level using auto scrolling on cheetah speed, despite the fact that I'm not the biggest fan of speedrun type levels. So now I've gotta play a bunch of the good ones to get a feeling for what works and what techniques they use to make them fun, because I don't really speak that language myself. I'm more into puzzle solving (not by indirect control of mechanisms like say escorting koopas and whatnot, but by actual platforming. Think Celeste)

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

Made my second level. It's a tough SMB1 platforming level. Pretty tough but I thought it was pretty fun.

Code: P23-8MY-K6G

CrapNapkin

Oct 27, 2017
new one, it's not perfect but creating it had me grinning big time while figuring it out

Slots-n-Drops at Bowser's Casino
75N-638-SWG

HLlw9s9.png

Core Zero

Oct 25, 2017

Really interesting question. Honestly I tend to design mostly in a "stream of consciousness" way, putting whatever I think feels good at each piece of a level. My first several MM2 levels were actually sketched out ahead of time on paper like an outline, but even that outline feels to me like I was just getting ideas out onto paper, rather than careful planning. I'll get the outline set up, then go back and fill in details. I test each component and then the full level, but I try not to excessively test or control the player. If someone finds a way to break my level I didn't foresee, so be it (so long as it's not something really dumb I missed). Initial inspiration will usually come from a specific mechanic or concept, and from there I draw a lot of inspiration from traditional Mario levels.

The level I'm currently working on, I built pretty much the entire physical structure in one go, just placing things and creating various spaces to play around in, and then did a second pass to actually fill in enemies and traps. I like how it's turning out.

It's interesting to see how people think about their designs, and the types of levels that result. I have certain types of design I favor, but everyone has different goals so it's interesting to see how their mind works to reach them.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017

I tend to be very non-picky and freeform when it comes to building my levels. Sometimes I'll start out with a concept of what I want to do, say a couple elements or an idea of how I want rooms to flow, but oftentimes I'll just pop into the editor and start throwing down pieces until something strikes me. From there, sometimes the level develops a theme and sometimes it just sort of... doesn't. That said, even though I'm super non-OCD and very non-picky, I do always want my levels to flow well and be fun to play. In general my this makes most of my levels pretty straightforward platforming levels with little in the way of gimmicks.

As an idea of where freeform editing takes me, here's a level I edited a couple nights ago while I was pretty drunk. It's just a basic SMW style platforming level with little in the way of gimmicks or, really, anything particularly interesting. That said, it plays fine, so hey, why not!

Chochate
DJX-SYV-79G

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
D_Noy4_UYAEQFb4.jpg:large

Alright, I made a total quick fanservice level. I want to make a more in-depth Alien level later but this is super easy in hopes that it gets put into the endless easy rotation, lol. All of my levels up to this point have like 20% completion even though I don't think they're very hard for the most part.

Alien: 8-Bit Edition
1XF-87G-0JG

Quote me and I'll make sure to play your level when I get home later tonight!

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
D_Noy4_UYAEQFb4.jpg:large

Alright, I made a total quick fanservice level. I want to make a more in-depth Alien level later but this is super easy in hopes that it gets put into the endless easy rotation, lol. All of my levels up to this point have like 20% completion even though I don't think they're very hard for the most part.

Alien: 8-Bit Edition
1XF-87G-0JG

Quote me and I'll make sure to play your level when I get home later tonight!
I liked this and thought it looked great. I definitely understood which scenes from the movie you were going for. I do feel like you could have expanded this concept out more. As it is now, its ridiculously easy. There's a lot you could do with the idea of the alien stalking you through the level. Excited to see the more in-depth version.

If you'd like to play one of mine, this is my newest, and it might even give you some ideas for how to accomplish the xenomorph stalking segments: 826-26L-00H

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i want to start working on my second level, which will be another "puzzle" type one. i would appreciate any kind of feedback on my first one.

2019071123192000-bf198pjqf.jpg

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
Mario Bros. Puzzle Edition
FVT-G0R-P9G

This one is challenging, but there are lots of power-ups along the way. I made three different boards in the style of the original Mario Bros. Each has its own puzzle to solve, hope you like it!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I beat the current #2 most popular course, Trampolines of Terrors.

Some of these Makers are sadistic, lol.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Bros. Puzzle Edition
FVT-G0R-P9G

This one is challenging, but there are lots of power-ups along the way. I made three different boards in the style of the original Mario Bros. Each has its own puzzle to solve, hope you like it!

Power ups aplenty, lol. Fun little level.

SS Serenity
3KM-N2Y-TRG

Really easy.

It was, but sometimes a level like this can be good for a breather.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Made my second level - TGD-6HN-KGF - It's called "Un, Dos, Tres - duck!"

In comparison to levels I see around here, this is nothing. It's not going into the Kaizo or Pinpoint accuracy direction - I just played around with a few features until I decide what to make for a more mechanical driven level. Also tried some stuff to make it more ambient, but hit the enemy limit. The tag "Short and Sweet" was never more appropriate!
well - sweet is actually debatable

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Made a new adventure level. Try to reach the goal using the correct power up.

Title: Luigi Land: Spiky Ride
Code: 75Q-98J-HLF

Play as Luigi for the title to make sense :)

Feedback is really appreciated.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Made a new adventure level. Try to reach the goal using the correct power up.

Title: Luigi Land: Spiky Ride
Code: 75Q-98J-HLF

Play as Luigi for the title to make sense :)

Feedback is really appreciated.

(They really should have made it easier to switch characters, lol.)

Interesting little level. I think it could have used a little streamlining. What order am I supposed to go in?

(I know now because I beat the level.)

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Guess I should post here, been working on this one for years!

Bowser's B-Team Armada
BWQ-VKM-S4G

And by years I mean I did this in SMM1, copied everything over to 2...then revamped a bunch of stuff cause all the improvements since the original release. Decent amount of stuff in the over world if you explore around, while the boss can be done properly
...or not. I think it's 8 bombs to kill him, or run through and take a hit like a cheater. You're only cheating yourself out of the experience! ...but it's a long level as it is, which is why I left the easy way out.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I re uploaded this one because it was super terrible before and now it slightly less terrible.

Cloud Heist
Sometimes I like to steal.

ID:1SH-JJ9-0WG

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
I re uploaded this one because it was super terrible before and now it slightly less terrible.

Cloud Heist
Sometimes I like to steal.

ID:1SH-JJ9-0WG

I liked this well enough. Wasn't too difficult - I beat it on my second attempt - but a few tough spots. Layout was a bit basic just I enjoyed how you used to switch blocks to open up areas to grab the keys. The ending with the clown car could be more clear. Some of the arrows were spaced too far apart so I was wandering around a bit before finding my way.