• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I liked this well enough. Wasn't too difficult - I beat it on my second attempt - but a few tough spots. Layout was a bit basic just I enjoyed how you used to switch blocks to open up areas to grab the keys. The ending with the clown car could be more clear. Some of the arrows were spaced too far apart so I was wandering around a bit before finding my way.
Thanks for feedback it really is not my best level. I think ill stick to more traditional platforming.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Made a short traditional SMB3 styled Snow Course today just because I like the song. Let me know how you feel about it.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
(They really should have made it easier to switch characters, lol.)

Interesting little level. I think it could have used a little streamlining. What order am I supposed to go in?

(I know now because I beat the level.)
The "locks" should not let you use the power ups out of order, but it's: mushroom, fire flower, propeller, shellmet and Yoshi. Thanks for playing it.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
i really wish I could put the spin jump button on the face instead of having two duplicated pairs of buttons and a trigger:|

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Guess I should post here, been working on this one for years!

Bowser's B-Team Armada
BWQ-VKM-S4G

And by years I mean I did this in SMM1, copied everything over to 2...then revamped a bunch of stuff cause all the improvements since the original release. Decent amount of stuff in the over world if you explore around, while the boss can be done properly
...or not. I think it's 8 bombs to kill him, or run through and take a hit like a cheater. You're only cheating yourself out of the experience! ...but it's a long level as it is, which is why I left the easy way out.

I enjoyed this. The length was good, but I prefer longer levels. Airship and castle themes were a great mix. Bowser junior fight was a lot of fun since you gave us enough space to dogfight it out. I ended up damaging boosting through the second Bowser fight since I did not see a clear alternative, but I'm not sure if that was intended.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I should post here, been working on this one for years!

Bowser's B-Team Armada
BWQ-VKM-S4G

And by years I mean I did this in SMM1, copied everything over to 2...then revamped a bunch of stuff cause all the improvements since the original release. Decent amount of stuff in the over world if you explore around, while the boss can be done properly
...or not. I think it's 8 bombs to kill him, or run through and take a hit like a cheater. You're only cheating yourself out of the experience! ...but it's a long level as it is, which is why I left the easy way out.

I liked this a lot. Was a lot longer than I was expecting haha.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Got an improved version of a level I submitted earlier in the thread.

Sw2ZVTv.png

Course Code: 826-26L-00H
Description: Mario is cursed by a relentless entity. Manipulate it to survive.

This is a puzzle level where you need to guide the rotten mushroom out of your way to proceed. Puzzles are fairly simple, but will teach you about how the rotten mushroom works. I was going for a level with a lot of tension and dread, so let me know whether I hit that feeling or if you ran into issues.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Thank you and thanks for playing and returning with feedback! I was actaully struggling with the camera positioning while limiting myself to one screen per obstacle layout. I think I'm solving or getting my head around it with my next level haha Sounds like you almost reached my first checkpoint, the latter half of the level is much stronger than the first I feel, hope you can enjoy my whole fanboy sequel!
I was at the checkpoint when I stopped playing and went to work! Your comment inspired me to finish the job, and I really enjoyed it. Taking my time helped see the thoughtful patterns, and while the camera is the real enemy, you clearly care about the game flow and player. Nice job! Good luck with your next one.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
i want to start working on my second level, which will be another "puzzle" type one. i would appreciate any kind of feedback on my first one.

2019071123192000-bf198pjqf.jpg

I like it. Simple but nice puzzles. I went to the top of puzzle 1 with the spring to get to puzzle 2. Was it the intended way to get there?

Mario Bros. Puzzle Edition
FVT-G0R-P9G

This one is challenging, but there are lots of power-ups along the way. I made three different boards in the style of the original Mario Bros. Each has its own puzzle to solve, hope you like it!

This seems to be a blast on multiplayer.

SS Serenity
3KM-N2Y-TRG

Really easy.
Really nice.

Squid Icarus

Jul 11, 2019
I've got two levels to share and videos of both! One is built on the concept of mirrored worlds in day and night zones, the other is a deadly underwater course.

Day and Night in Koopa Village (LHX-7SY-DDG) is the mirrored world thing. I've noticed that the first hidden block is a bit too early in the level as the idea isn't yet introduced properly, but I'd like to work on that for another level that might feature a number of smaller rooms instead of this big village scenario.

Are U Fish Food or Fresh Catch (6C7-LKJ-4VG) is the underwater course where you have to avoid contact with fish and get caught by the fishermen.

Last edited:

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Reposting this for the USA crowd.
Land of Emerald and Azure
84W-GYK-5HG

I finally got around to finishing off another level last night, staying up much too late in the process. It's a fairly straightforward platforming level with lots of nice styling, using the pipe forest theme with some underwater bits, I was aiming for a 50% + completion rate so I've tried to make it pretty easy, but it's always difficult to tell! There's 8 big coins to find, 5 30's and 3 10's. Unfortunately I think the pipe theme has been a bit done to death the last few days, but it was too late to change it!

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Have to suggest a level I saw today. It's a tough one, but it may have the best aesthetics and best overall design I've seen yet in SMM2.

Code: N4D-4HW-CYF

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
SS Serenity
3KM-N2Y-TRG

Really easy.
This was nice and easy. Fun secrets hidden throughout the level. I liked the layout. Enemy placement is mostly good. I wish it had progressive power-ups though.
mLxH4yx.png

Made another short and traditional SMB 1 course. I've designed it with speedrunning in mind, so there are a couple of possible shortcuts to explore, if that's your kinda thing. My personal record is 18 seconds.
This was nice and short too. Tough jumps, but not unforgiving. A few secret coins that provided a nice extra challenge. Overall enjoyed it.

I've got two levels to share and videos of both! One is built on the concept of mirrored worlds in day and night zones, the other is a deadly underwater course.

Day and Night in Koopa Village (LHX-7SY-DDG) is the mirrored world thing. I've noticed that the first hidden block is a bit too early in the level as the idea isn't yet introduced properly, but I'd like to work on that for another level that might feature a number of smaller rooms instead of this big village scenario.
I tried but just couldn't get anywhere in this level. I got the mushroom and arrived at the first night scene and just could not grab the already ticking bobomb for the life of me. Every time I tried to grab it, it bounced me into the claw and there just wasn't enough time to do anything with it.

Squid Icarus

Jul 11, 2019
I tried but just couldn't get anywhere in this level. I got the mushroom and arrived at the first night scene and just could not grab the already ticking bobomb for the life of me. Every time I tried to grab it, it bounced me into the claw and there just wasn't enough time to do anything with it.
Oh I'm so sorry haha, that's why I linked the video and mentioned the hidden block there. You're not supposed to grab the bomb, but the arrows should hint you at an invisible block on the same spot during daytime. I'm so sorry! I wanted to change that bit but for that I'd have to re-upload the whole level, so I haven't done it yet. If you're still up for it, take a look at this video (putting it behind the spoiler tag this time below this message) and find out what to do, then try again.

EDIT: Here are two screenshots showing the solution. Again, I'm so sorry. I've known that issue for a while now.

hkikCv5.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If the level was just slightly easier I think it'd be a shoe in for top of the popularity list. So I figured I'd try to recommend it.

True, some of those jump are super tight. Plus it's a little confusing how some 'corks' are safe while others dip into the poison. It would have been nice with some kind of indication other than waiting and seeing.

Letsfly

Feb 12, 2019
mLxH4yx.png

Made another short and traditional SMB 1 course. I've designed it with speedrunning in mind, so there are a couple of possible shortcuts to explore, if that's your kinda thing. My personal record is 18 seconds.

Nice level.
84W-GYK-5HG

I finally got around to finishing off another level last night, staying up much too late in the process. It's a fairly straightforward platforming level with lots of nice styling, using the pipe forest theme with some underwater bits, I was aiming for a 50% + completion rate so I've tried to make it pretty easy, but it's always difficult to tell! There's 8 big coins to find, 5 30's and 3 10's. Unfortunately I think the pipe theme has been a bit done to death the last few days, but it was too late to change it!

The styling was really neat. Very enjoyable level.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
84W-GYK-5HG

I really enjoyed this. Beat it in one try but didn't find it boring. The scenery was fantastic. Lot's of intricate work there. Fun water sections, which is rare. Good enemy placement. And I enjoyed finding the secret coins.
Have to suggest a level I saw today. It's a tough one, but it may have the best aesthetics and best overall design I've seen yet in SMM2.

Code: N4D-4HW-CYF
This was amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Letsfly

Feb 12, 2019
I enjoyed this. The length was good, but I prefer longer levels. Airship and castle themes were a great mix. Bowser junior fight was a lot of fun since you gave us enough space to dogfight it out. I ended up damaging boosting through the second Bowser fight since I did not see a clear alternative, but I'm not sure if that was intended.

I enjoyed for the same reasons as well. Really fun level.

Anuiran

Oct 27, 2017
Where are you guys getting an image from your level or are you just using the screenshot button of the switch?

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
New level: Super Luigi's Mansion. It's kind of long and there's no checkpoint because I wanted to have a clear condition. Sorry about that!

Course ID: 0BJ-J42-JTF

Gvitor

Oct 27, 2017
Alright ERA, I made another level. This one is a bit longer, but if you're really good with dropping and throwing items, there's some potential cheese involved. Took me a long while to make.

The weight of the world
3H0-F9Q-RSF

I'll be checking some levels in this thread in a moment.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Heh semi intended option, with the bridge/ground gaps over the lava as a punishment for people with lesser skill that don't react quickly enough. The proper way to do it is knock the bombs into Bowser, fairly sure it takes 8 hits. Forgot to put a hint in there about that, guess I could toss in a comment in the level there? Haven't messed with that stuff yet.
I liked this a lot. Was a lot longer than I was expecting haha.
Haha thanks. The overworld is max length (and hit some item limits), underworld is around there too, albeit that's with filler sections. If scroll stop worked for both axes I'd have put in more stuff!
Looked at my Mario Maker 2 playtime.

Shame.

Shame and disgust.
My shame is that I've barely played levels myself. I feel like 90% of my time has been working on that one level, whether in the copying over process or tweaking/testing like crazy after that. Damn last boss fight alone took forever to find a way to make it work without running into occasional corner cases breaking it.
Where are you guys getting an image from your level or are you just using the screenshot button of the switch?
Yeah just screenshot in my case. Then on the Switch itself you can put text on there and upload to Twitter/Facebook and grab the image from there.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! That worked. I didn't want to try it before because there's a warning message saying you won't be able to restore once deleted. It does allow you to re-upload though.

New level code is LFH-5V3-QXF
Puzzle level, "Thinking Outside The Box". Just removed a couple of potential soft locks, added a minor secret, and made the last puzzle easier.

I really, really liked this one. The core puzzles were nicely paced with some good 'aha!' moments, and I thought the 'bonus' puzzle to get the better pipe to the last room was pretty spectacular - indeed, I guess one complaint I have is that with a puzzle level like this, I want a decent chunk of thinking time!

I fear I may have found another potential soft lock, however:
Spiny shellmet breaks ice blocks. If in the final room before the 'wrong' end to the level you jump, you can break the ice blocks above your head and get stuck atop the clouds with no way down. Indeed, there was a while when I was trying to figure out if that was the right way to go to get to the best exit!

seeds

Jun 25, 2019
I made a level themed around the Dry Bones shell. It's my first shot at making a level, if anyone wants to give it a shot and provide feedback. I don't think it's too challenging (of course it's hard to judge as the creator), but it does require some minor tricks using the shell (like holding down to extend the invincibility period)

T8wPGQE.jpg

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
The idea for my latest level was that an airship got too high in the atmosphere, and things froze over as a result. Stumbled upon a gameplay gimmick I think is fun as a result: Frozen Frigate - F2R-T7M-2NF

iag

Oct 27, 2017
I made a level themed around the Dry Bones shell. It's my first shot at making a level, if anyone wants to give it a shot and provide feedback. I don't think it's too challenging (of course it's hard to judge as the creator), but it does require some minor tricks using the shell (like holding down to extend the invincibility period)

T8wPGQE.jpg
Very nice. Lost the shell on the dry bones, luckily I was at the end.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The idea for my latest level was that an airship got too high in the atmosphere, and things froze over as a result. Stumbled upon a gameplay gimmick I think is fun as a result: Frozen Frigate - F2R-T7M-2NF
I had fun with it. I like the bridge finale too.

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Does anyone know how your level gets into the "hot" tab?

Mine has ~20 likes from ~40 plays, but it's halted. Is there a threshold where levels get picked up for increased exposure?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

T8wPGQE.jpg

I enjoyed this one a lot and dig the theme(and choice of music for it). Really loved the ride on the donut through the saws onto the Thomp segment! I think it was somewhat challenging. I died the most spin jumping up the two Thomps as I'm personally not used to doing that all. But I got the hang of it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
84W-GYK-5HG

Love the aesthetic. I don't mind easier levels at all and I think people would be surprised at the amount of more casual players playing this game in general too so I'm sure they appreciate it. Plus your level gave me an idea for one of my own now as well haha. Gotta wrap up the one I've been currently making first though.