• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Here's my newest one:
Temple of Thwomp
D_Pa7W4UIAMh9s3.jpg:large
I spent a lot of time on this one, and I think its my best level yet, please give it a try and let me know what you think!

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Original level, do not steal:

vfDlc9q.png

Bridge Zone 1 (Sonic Game Gear)
Course ID: 3PM-5M9-P9G
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: Yes

It's probably been done before but I felt compelled to remake the Bridge Zone from Sonic for the Game Gear/Master System. The level design in that game always felt like the developers were given some vague idea of what Sonic would be and then they just went and made Mario levels.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Minecart Mayhem: Thwomp Canyon
00P-HC5-LXF

I tried my hand at making a level inspired by DKC Minecart levels, where you just have to jump while traveling quickly. No steering needed.
I used 3D World and the Koopa Car. All deadly jumps have a red arrow, and there are 2 checkpoints.

I put many hours into it, and would appreciate anyone who could take a couple minutes to give it a go. It's got plenty of jumps and plenty of theatrics. :)
qao71pQ.jpg
Q36BZQo.jpg

Best car course I played so far. Felt very Donkey Kong Country like. Well done!

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Fixed an issue people were having in my last level and reuploaded!

Forgotten Fortress

Y0L-MVL-1RG

Looking for feedback before I move on to new levels, so it would be much appreciated! :)

If stuck in the room with the notes:

wait for the bomb to blow up something down below

Here's my newest one:
Temple of Thwomp

I spent a lot of time on this one, and I think its my best level yet, please give it a try and let me know what you think!

I love what you did with the thwomps in this, very creative. Although, I got soft locked after the checkpoint when I accidentally killed the second thwomp with a pow block and that was kind lame 😅 I will finish it when my switch charges though, it was really cool :)

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I wanted to do a Mario World take on the classic Airship for awhile and settled on something of a theme.

Hot Airship Balloon Assault
92G-L2W-1RG
"Grab 5 red coins and avoid tool throwing minions aboard hot air balloons!"

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019

vfDlc9q.png

It's probably been done before but I felt compelled to remake the Bridge Zone from Sonic for the Game Gear/Master System. The level design in that game always felt like the developers were given some vague idea of what Sonic would be and then they just went and made Mario levels.

That's a great idea! I've played every 2D Sonic game, enjoyed this immensely.

Followed!

I posted my first superball level on here yesterday, but would like to see if anyone else would like to play it before I create my next

Goomba Mothership: Infiltrate
VWN-FN0-LDF

D-4mohRU0AExjl7

Kitad

Banned
Feb 15, 2018
H1G 7QK GBG
Mario submits a mortgage payment

Been experimenting with alternative clear conditions on SMB1. Would love to have feedback

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

vfDlc9q.png

Haha nice. I'm making something along the same lines as my next stage but from a different game.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

Followed!

I posted my first superball level on here yesterday, but would like to see if anyone else would like to play it before I create my next

VWN-FN0-LDF

D-4mohRU0AExjl7

Fun one! I really need to unlock that powerup myself sometime lol

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I made a superball level. You're put into a series of rooms and have to shoot bob-ombs to trigger switches, but the switches add obstacles and enemies to avoid. It's pretty easy, I probably give out too many superball flowers, but I'm very happy with the way it turned out overall, it feels like a good twist on the superball formula that I hadn't seen yet.

Step by Step Superball Series
HWC-TMK-YHG
Succeed by Sequential Superball Salvoes! Shoot Specifically or Succumb!

D_Plid4UEAIMfLW.jpg:large

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could've have a "prefered" mode for level I want to play, so I could have more SMW levels and almost no NSMBU stuff. :U

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
I'm sure other people have experienced that little panic when you realize that an obstacle you were proud of in a course you uploaded can be bypassed in a simpler way.

May 5, 2018
If you guys want to play a Metal Gear Themed level, my brother made a really cool one. Its called Metal Goomba Solid and the course ID is V7L-H3D-QNF. Its actually smartly utilizes MGS' element of stealth into a Mario level and the alert system is cleverly designed.

Last edited:

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
If you guys want to play a Metal Gear Themed level, my brother made a really cool one. Its called Metal Goomba Solid and the course ID is V7L-H3D-QNF. Its actually smartly utilizes MGS' element of stealth into a Mario level and the alert system is cleverly designed.
Thank you for sharing. The level was super cool with lots of great moments, including the boss fight. Your brother is very clever.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mushroom World Odyssey is now complete. Yes, it ends at 4-4, because I only get 32 slots, and don't really want to make 4 levels in all of the themes either. The basic idea was to make a Super Mario Bros 3 inspired game with themed "Lands", but with the SMB 1-4 structure, and using all the game styles, except 3D Land because it kinda sucks. You play through 3 regular levels and then fight Bowser and chase him out of the Land in the 4th, even if it's not a traditional Bowser castle. I tried to take inspiration from the games representing the style I used for the level, except for NSMB. I took a lot of inspiration for the SMB and NSMB levels from Lost Levels, which I recently played. I tried making levels that were short, felt pretty challenging for me, and didn't use a ton of Mario Maker gimmicks.

MLzhli1.png

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Super Mushroom World Odyssey is now complete. Yes, it ends at 4-4, because I only get 32 slots, and don't really want to make 4 levels in all of the themes either. The basic idea was to make a Super Mario Bros 3 inspired game with themed "Lands", but with the SMB 1-4 structure, and using all the game styles, except 3D Land because it kinda sucks. You play through 3 regular levels and then fight Bowser and chase him out of the Land in the 4th, even if it's not a traditional Bowser castle. I tried to take inspiration from the games representing the style I used for the level, except for NSMB. I took a lot of inspiration for the SMB and NSMB levels from Lost Levels, which I recently played. I tried making levels that were short, felt pretty challenging for me, and didn't use a ton of Mario Maker gimmicks.

MLzhli1.png
Looks great, exactly what I've been wanting to tackle. Will give it it a go.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, I tried something different this time around, can someone give it a try and leave some feedback? I never tried making an exploration/collection type level so kinda testing the waters with that. Thanks in advance.

Peace Piece World
WFH-S3M-G3G

Last edited:

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017

MLzhli1.png

I've been enjoying these for the most part, so I encourage others to check these out. I'll be sure to continue where I left off with playing as well! Congrats on completing this!

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Hey everyone, finally made a new level. This is level number 5 and its a sort of themed level. It follows our hero travelling in a unknown planets caverns only to ascend to the surface during a huge storm and discover the remains of those before. I made it using a combination of underground and night airship themes in SMB3. I think its another cool thematic level. Would appreciate if yall could play it and tell me what you think :)

Name: Into The Storm
Course ID: Y63-2BD-JXG

Last edited:

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone, I tried something different this time around, can someone give it a try and leave some feedback? I never tried making an exploration/collection type level so kinda testing the waters with that. Thanks in advance.

Peace Piece World
Y4V-XC5-RWG
There are several different mechanics in this level that less experienced players won't be familiar with... Namely the need to toss the spring up and catch it while going up the vine to get into the top pipe. A few spots were also cheeseable. In the room where you are supposed to outrun the shell before it hits the on/off it is easier to just wait and let the shell despawn. The other room with the on/offs and with munchers has a softlock just above the springs.

I'm also not sure why you essentially created two clear conditions. You need both the red and yellow coins to finish. I think the level would be better if you picked one or the other.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
I made a level of POW riding stuff I thought was neat. This one isn't too tough.

5XB-TL5-T1G

For the first section, you are leaping on a POW and riding it for a bit. For the last section, you are stacking the launchers on the single flying POW, in case it isn't apparent.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
My first level. A simple, quick, speed run-geared level. Please check it out? 80M 1BQ TJF

D_Pk7UwUYAAXLjf

Fun level. The short time limit is good because these types of levels if they go on too long are not my thing. I enjoyed it.

vfDlc9q.png

Was pretty fun. Never played that sonic game but enjoyed the sonic like elements

mLxH4yx.png

Made another short and traditional SMB 1 course. I've designed it with speedrunning in mind, so there are a couple of possible shortcuts to explore, if that's your kinda thing. My personal record is 18 seconds.

Good course. It had the right kind of difficulty and the obstacles were introduced gradually.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
6-3 is now complete and ready for play.
It's a mountain that every Toad dreams of climbing one day, and it's part of my continued game of sorts.

6-3scalingmountshiverrekmq.png

ph1l0z0ph3r

Oct 27, 2017
Created my 2nd level and first themed level Just Right. Give it a shot and suggest any things I should change. My lovely girlfriend helped with the sound effects in the 2nd area lol.

Just Right
CC0-9VX-7QG

And I remade my first level since after 29 playthroughs only 1 person managed to clear it and made it a bit easier.

Over the River
25T-XMC-BPG

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Created my 2nd level and first themed level Just Right. Give it a shot and suggest any things I should change. My lovely girlfriend helped with the sound effects in the 2nd area lol.

Just Right
CC0-9VX-7QG

Really enjoyed this, little house of horror. I had some trouble with the first checkpoint because if you die after that but before the first circle of ghosts there are no power-ups, I found it easier to restart the level and get to that point with a power-up handy. I loved the slippery ice with the ice picks above!

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I just played a new mario game, congrats buddy!. You did some really inspired work here. And built levels. Hopefully these levels rise to the top and we can get some more course upload room for you. Or patreon you money to start buying more Nintendo online accouts at the least.

Thanks. I will keep making levels, just less often 'cause I gotta play that Blazing Chrome game now.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone, finally made a new level. This is level number 5 and its a sort of themed level. It follows our hero travelling in a unknown planets caverns only to ascend to the surface during a huge storm and discover the remains of those before. I made it using a combination of underground and night airship themes in SMB3. I think its another cool thematic level. Would appreciate if yall could play it and tell me what you think :)

Name: Into The Storm
Course ID: Y63-2BD-JXG

Awesome level, I loved the vertical aspect, it felt very open and I wasn't 100% sure if I was going the right way but I was, no backtracking! There are multiple paths to the finish right? I really liked the dead fish hidden in some of the box as well as the floating goombas (how do you do that btw?)

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I've made eight levels, and while I love this game, it's missing a lot. Especially when it comes to enemies. I realize they want parity with the other layouts, but SMW is missing some truly iconic baddies that I wish I could use in the course maker.

The little dudes that fly at you and Chargin' Chuck among others are notably absent. Also, I want that weird green floating ball.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017

Followed!

VWN-FN0-LDF

D-4mohRU0AExjl7

Just wanted to say, I loved the theme of this level! Obviously not dificult or anything (though I have yet to see a difficult and engaging super ball level outside of a breakout-inspired level), but still fun all the same!

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
The styling was really neat. Very enjoyable level.

I really enjoyed this. Beat it in one try but didn't find it boring. The scenery was fantastic. Lot's of intricate work there. Fun water sections, which is rare. Good enemy placement. And I enjoyed finding the secret coins.

Thanks for the feedback! This level has hit the charts and had moderate blow-up, the downside is the comments are full of memes now :/

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I just had to do this because I was reminiscing about a "fond" childhood memory on the NES. I tried to recreate it as faithfully as possible :p

Bomb Disposal at the Hoover Dam
WCS-C0N-84G
"Took a wrong turn at the pipe... should help out these turtles. Cowabunga!"

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Here's a couple of levels I've made. The first is an auto scrolling bridge level and the second is a boss rush level with themed matches.

D06-7GP-P3G

217-S51-FLF

Feb 10, 2018
Hi, I was wondering how you made these pictures to share your level ? Do you have some templates somewhere ? I guess you use screenshots you took yourselves from the game ?

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
I really, really liked this one. The core puzzles were nicely paced with some good 'aha!' moments, and I thought the 'bonus' puzzle to get the better pipe to the last room was pretty spectacular - indeed, I guess one complaint I have is that with a puzzle level like this, I want a decent chunk of thinking time!

I fear I may have found another potential soft lock, however:
Spiny shellmet breaks ice blocks. If in the final room before the 'wrong' end to the level you jump, you can break the ice blocks above your head and get stuck atop the clouds with no way down. Indeed, there was a while when I was trying to figure out if that was the right way to go to get to the best exit!
Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Can't believe I missed that softlock at the end

By thinking time do you mean the timer was too short? It's definitely something I hadn't considered, I must remember to extend it before I release my next level.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Can't believe I missed that softlock at the end

It was particularly frustrating because it's very much a literal interpretation of "thinking outside of the box", I thought I was onto something!

By thinking time do you mean the timer was too short? It's definitely something I hadn't considered, I must remember to extend it before I release my next level.
It was fine for the core level, but I needed a bit more time to puzzle over the final secret, there's a reasonable amount of exploration and experimentation that's required (if you look at my comments in the level, at one point I got most of the way through the puzzle and then went completely the wrong way at the end!

On which note, a checkpoint would have been nice - I must have played through those first few rooms *so* many times - but I'm not sure if there's a sweet spot where one could have been put without getting in the way of the design.

One musing that's a "could go either way" opinion:

The core level is generous with giving replacement key items, but the extra puzzle does have one or two places where it gives you a resource and only one opportunity to use it. I think that's okay for a hard extra puzzle, but my word I was angry when I cheerfully bashed that ? block... while still wearing a spiky helmet!

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Next ERA contest theme should be slow underwater autoscrollers because I'm convinced it's impossible to create anything good from that. :P

Also I only just noticed the levels from competition #1 are out because they are under Highlights and not under Threadmarks.
Should get around to play a couple of these over the weekend.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
Uploaded my second effort! I think the first went pretty well with 5% clear, almost 50% like ratio.

This one is some fun SMW sky platforming with a bunch of skewers just doin' what they do.

Skewer the Sky
ID: M32-Y66-T1G

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Uploaded my second effort! I think the first went pretty well with 5% clear, almost 50% like ratio.

This one is some fun SMW sky platforming with a bunch of skewers just doin' what they do.

Skewer the Sky
ID: M32-Y66-T1G

Ok, maybe it's late and I am having a brain fart but how do I make that first jump... am I missing something super obvious here??

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
This was incredible! Thanks for the rec!
Have to suggest a level I saw today. It's a tough one, but it may have the best aesthetics and best overall design I've seen yet in SMM2.

Code: N4D-4HW-CYF

Wow!!! Amazing... this is the type of level that makes me realize there are people out there on a whole other level when it comes to setting the mood and design.... Gotta mess with sound effects more..