• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my newest one:
Temple of Thwomp

I spent a lot of time on this one, and I think its my best level yet, please give it a try and let me know what you think!

I couldn't beat this but I really enjoyed the mechanics, especially using Mario's mid-air jump to go from Koopa to Koopa. Thwomps with wings are adorable lol

I just had to do this because I was reminiscing about a "fond" childhood memory on the NES. I tried to recreate it as faithfully as possible :p

Bomb Disposal at the Hoover Dam
WCS-C0N-84G
"Took a wrong turn at the pipe... should help out these turtles. Cowabunga!"

This is a great idea and really well executed, and I found it less frustrating than the original version. As soon as I saw the rotating firebar it gave me flashbacks to Turtles. Well done!

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
If anybody wants to test their skills with the cat suit i made a stage that focuses exclusively on its many abilities.

so QuixoticNeutral alerted me to this stage. I have to give it a shout out!

This is EASILY the best cat-based 3D world stage I've ever played!

The use of diving, canceling it, and cat sliding is just astounding. The level flows really well too, I don't think I even noticed how many times I died, I just kept on trucking till I got to the end!

You're other cat course, Dive Cancel Derby (the code for thsoe that don't know, is BTR-H7H-8LG) looked like another great twist on the concept. I haven't mastered it yet, but I like how despite the clear condition, you designed the stage so you can practice after failing too. I'll be taking more cracks at that later for sure!

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome level, I loved the vertical aspect, it felt very open and I wasn't 100% sure if I was going the right way but I was, no backtracking! There are multiple paths to the finish right? I really liked the dead fish hidden in some of the box as well as the floating goombas (how do you do that btw?)

Thank ya. Its good the level felt open. There is actually only 1 way to finish it. Actually an entirely linear level. Just has a lot of places to poke your head in and look for stuff.

Floating Goomba's is using the night version of the airship theme

Last edited:

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
One musing that's a "could go either way" opinion:

The core level is generous with giving replacement key items, but the extra puzzle does have one or two places where it gives you a resource and only one opportunity to use it. I think that's okay for a hard extra puzzle, but my word I was angry when I cheerfully bashed that ? block... while still wearing a spiky helmet!
Heh... That was intentional, but a bit mean I admit.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I've commented on a few levels but please continue sharing your best levels in your reply and I'll check them out :)

Mario Max: Fury Road
ID:
7FN-J75-RFF
Difficulty: Easy
Description: Witness! Ride eternal, speed past the WarKoopas and conquer the Fury Road!

Very welcome for feedback! I think it's a concept that I want to make more difficult for next time.

I made it on the easier side because of the low clear rate on my previous car level. Ultimately, I think I spent more time trying to build a level that creates the feeling of almost making it when in reality you are safe most of the time. I think I spent 5-6 hours building the rough draft and 3-4 hours tweaking and play-testing.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
Ok, maybe it's late and I am having a brain fart but how do I make that first jump... am I missing something super obvious here??
You have to spin jump on the thwomp. If you mean the one after it, it just requires a good running jump to clear the gap. The beginning is basically just there to tell you "you'll need to know how to do these things in particular for this course."

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
I've commented on a few levels but please continue sharing your best levels in your reply and I'll check them out :)

ID:
7FN-J75-RFF
Description: Witness! Ride eternal, speed past the WarKoopas and conquer the Fury Road!

Very welcome for feedback! I think it's a concept that I want to make more difficult for next time.

I made it on the easier side because of the low clear rate on my previous car level. Ultimately, I think I spent more time trying to build a level that creates the feeling of almost making it when in reality you are safe most of the time. I think I spent 5-6 hours building the rough draft and 3-4 hours tweaking and play-testing.

That was probably among the few 3D World levels that felt like it had a fun "story", which is worth a heart in my book! I also enjoyed your "Race Against the 'Shroom" level (code is 9YY-5TY-RXF). i'm not actually sure if outspeeding the mushroom makes the difference, but it felt like a unique twist on the average speed run level to me at the least!

Anyways, while most people know me for creepypasta-like levels, but the level I probably spent the most effort on was a level based around plumbing, called Plumbing Pandemonium!

code is 21W-GKN-KXF, and here's a short video that gives you a picture of the concept.

Idea is, it's almost like a 2D Wet Dry World, where you drain the water, and the level changes a bit. You're goal is to unclog pipes, and do some light puzzle solving to get to the end (with even the boss fights having a few simple puzzle elements). After every checkpoint, there's a difficulty boost too, with the last one in particular seeing to get people! If you want a hint for that part..

Don't super bounce on the wigglers at the end, try to run across them, its possible to bump across them with the run button if you time it right!

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017

ID:
7FN-J75-RFF

This was a fun ride! I loved the visual appeal with the other drivers and such. That said, it was a lot of "hold left/right" for most of the level. However, it was cool to see how it all played out and I can tell there was a lot of effort put into it!

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
A few things I want:

- ability to edit levels with friends online (particularly for QA and allowing them to comment and annotate your level to give feedback)

- make actual overworlds and string levels together (make it themed too, e.g. SMB3 or SMW style overworlds)

- 3D world to have more basic functionality

- a bookmark website like in the first game (easier to share levels)

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fixed an issue people were having in my last level and reuploaded!

Forgotten Fortress

Y0L-MVL-1RG

Looking for feedback before I move on to new levels, so it would be much appreciated! :)

If stuck in the room with the notes:

wait for the bomb to blow up something down below
Didn't finish it, found the 2nd half to be too frustrating to complete without a mushroom. All of the somewhat random patterns the tracks are going in makes it relatively difficult to dodge things properly and you should have provided a mushroom or two to help ease the pain a little. I also would have liked to see the bridge sections connecting the castle rooms to be more developed, currently they feel like wasted space.
I wanted to do a Mario World take on the classic Airship for awhile and settled on something of a theme.

Hot Airship Balloon Assault
92G-L2W-1RG
"Grab 5 red coins and avoid tool throwing minions aboard hot air balloons!"

Neat, though I admit I've never cared for the stacked cloud block/mushroom tower, since moving around them can be tough.
I posted my first superball level on here yesterday, but would like to see if anyone else would like to play it before I create my next

Goomba Mothership: Infiltrate
VWN-FN0-LDF

D-4mohRU0AExjl7
Cool, though some of the areas were a little cramped and I think it would have been better if you had used scroll stop to rein in the vertical space, perhaps using a door to bring the player to another area if you wanted it to end in the open air space. You should try out my level to see some other examples of what you can do with a superball level
H1G 7QK GBG
Mario submits a mortgage payment

Been experimenting with alternative clear conditions on SMB1. Would love to have feedback
I was about to save you should give the player a mushroom, but then the level ended. I liked it, though I felt like there were a couple small bits where there was too much going on (particularly the skull platform with those dry bones and the cannon directed right at the conveyor belt) that would have felt better to tackle as big Mario.
My first level. A simple, quick, speed run-geared level. Please check it out? 80M 1BQ TJF

D_Pk7UwUYAAXLjf
Good, though I think you could improve the flow from element to element in future levels. I'm a big fan of this 20 second speedrun trend in Mario Maker 2, for some reason it seemed like they were never this popular in the first game
Mount Waluigi

K4P-20C-BLG

Play it, don't spray it.
Sorry, wasn't feeling this one, never been a fan of troll blocks with enemies inside
Hey everyone, I tried something different this time around, can someone give it a try and leave some feedback? I never tried making an exploration/collection type level so kinda testing the waters with that. Thanks in advance.

Peace Piece World
Y4V-XC5-RWG
I liked this one, though I couldn't figure out how to beat it and ran out of time. The shell room was the only one I couldn't figure out

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It will be interesting to see how Nintendo handles updates with SMM2, will the focus on adding more items across styles where it makes sense (like fire bros into the other 4, or the claw to 3d world), will they focus solely on adding new stuff to the main styles, or will the focus on just adding the other extra style that is teased in the menu.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Was there ever any more speculation on the date that shows up at the end of story mode? Haven't heard anything about it since the first day or two.

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I think I just uploaded the finest level yet. I had one thing in mind with this one. I set a challenge. Is it possible to give a Switch to a 1 year old for 2 minutes and have them make a beatable Mario Maker level? Well that question has finally been answered. Please play my, although not actually my, latest creation.

A 1 year old. 2 minutes. Go!

CTT - XCS - 15G

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
...I don't think I've seen that, what's the context? In the credits reel?

When you beat the story mode after the credits roll, the score turns into a date. Looking into it now it seems like people were getting different dates. I thought today's dates was one of them, but all I'm finding online is 6/27 or 6/28 which would be the release date.

Might just be nothing, but thought there were other dates seen.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
When you beat the story mode after the credits roll, the score turns into a date. Looking into it now it seems like people were getting different dates. I thought today's dates was one of them, but all I'm finding online is 6/27 or 6/28 which would be the release date.

Might just be nothing, but thought there were other dates seen.

Is that a date, or a count of completion of some sort?

I haven't noticed it. Able to see it again by using [REDACTED] to re-roll the credits?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was there ever any more speculation on the date that shows up at the end of story mode? Haven't heard anything about it since the first day or two.
It's the date you completed the story mode, so it's different for everyone. One of the first guys to post the credits pre-release had his date set to late October for some reason so it kind of looked like it was hinting at something but it isn't

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
It's the date you completed the story mode, so it's different for everyone. One of the first guys to post the credits pre-release had his date set to late October for some reason so it kind of looked like it was hinting at something but it isn't

Ah ok, kind of a weird thing to have at the end of the credits.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see how Nintendo handles updates with SMM2, will the focus on adding more items across styles where it makes sense (like fire bros into the other 4, or the claw to 3d world), will they focus solely on adding new stuff to the main styles, or will the focus on just adding the other extra style that is teased in the menu.

I could see them doing a lot of work to 3D World. Which I think is time better spent on something else, but maybe they can make it so I'll actually want to use it.

Besides that, I guess Toad rescuing and heavy stone will be added later. It would be cool if you could set the character you rescue. Like maybe make it Mario. I would also want to set the player character. That would really help with themes. I'd make a Luigi's Mansion level and rescue Mario, for example.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I could see them doing a lot of work to 3D World. Which I think is time better spent on something else, but maybe they can make it so I'll actually want to use it.

Besides that, I guess Toad rescuing and heavy stone will be added later. It would be cool if you could set the character you rescue. Like maybe make it Mario. I would also want to set the player character. That would really help with themes. I'd make a Luigi's Mansion level and rescue Mario, for example.

I'm not that wedded to the concept of Toad rescuing, it seems mostly a nothing concept (since in many situations, a danger that will hit a Toad is also a danger that will hit *you*). Although it showed some potential in the final such level

Where you're wrangling a whole 'snake' of ten toads, so you have to be much more aware of the time the tail makes to complete the move you're executing.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not that wedded to the concept of Toad rescuing, it seems mostly a nothing concept (since in many situations, a danger that will hit a Toad is also a danger that will hit *you*). Although it showed some potential in the final such level

Where you're wrangling a whole 'snake' of ten toads, so you have to be much more aware of the time the tail makes to complete the move you're executing.
Yeah I'm not that excited for Toads, although they could be useful thematically I guess.

Way more interested in the heavy block though. That thing would be incredibly useful for puzzle levels.

Oct 27, 2017
Good, though I think you could improve the flow from element to element in future levels. I'm a big fan of this 20 second speedrun trend in Mario Maker 2, for some reason it seemed like they were never this popular in the first game

Thanks for checking it out. I agree with your comment on the flow, I was aware of it and kinda did my best with it for this level conceit. I'm gonna try to improve.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Really wish there was a way to check your maker profile online. Would be cool to check on level stats and comments while not on the actual game. Also, bookmarks people damn.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017

That's basically Yoshi's Island with 1 and Mario vs DK Minis with more. Doesn't sound like nothing to me.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
That's basically Yoshi's Island with 1 and Mario vs DK Minis with more. Doesn't sound like nothing to me.

Yoshi's Island has a very different structure because Yoshi is fundamentally immune in and of himself. In YI, if you take a hit, you have to swap to rescue mode; in Mario Maker, if you take a hit, you might die outright.

Yoshi's Island is entirely about safeguarding the baby. Mario Maker, on the other hand, puts the onus on protecting yourself *first*, and through protecting yourself you will almost always also be safely protecting the Toad.

Mario vs DK - at least, those titles in the series that I've played (that had the 'procession' setup, I should mention, given that later titles didn't really!) - didn't particularly often have the 'snake' aspect matter; it looked nice but in many cases there was little to no puzzle aspect relating to it.

RHANITAN

Oct 25, 2017
so QuixoticNeutral alerted me to this stage. I have to give it a shout out!

This is EASILY the best cat-based 3D world stage I've ever played!

The use of diving, canceling it, and cat sliding is just astounding. The level flows really well too, I don't think I even noticed how many times I died, I just kept on trucking till I got to the end!

You're other cat course, Dive Cancel Derby (the code for thsoe that don't know, is BTR-H7H-8LG) looked like another great twist on the concept. I haven't mastered it yet, but I like how despite the clear condition, you designed the stage so you can practice after failing too. I'll be taking more cracks at that later for sure!
Thanks ^^

thats some big praise!

The cat suit is my favorite thing in the game so i wanted to try and make levels that make the most out of their mechanics.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to add a platform (or enemy that acts as one) that floats on top of water and moves up and down with it?

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Is it possible to add a platform (or enemy that acts as one) that floats on top of water and moves up and down with it?
Maybe there is a perfect setting where both the platform and the water are going up and down with the same speed, either on tracks or without.
So no, there is no option to do so per se, but you can experiment a little bit and maybe something works.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked this one, though I couldn't figure out how to beat it and ran out of time. The shell room was the only one I couldn't figure out

Thanks for the feedback! I was worried about the time constraints, I was hoping they would put a no limit option but alas I had to opt for the highest possible. The shell room is a little tricky yeah but once you realize you need to stand on the 3 vertical blue blocks and jump up from there it all makes sense :P

Also someone just commented my level is cheeseable with a soft lock spot...what does that mean exactly? I tried checking where he tagged those comments but I couldn't figure out what the issue was.

Last edited:

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, in 3D world, the boxes float. There's actually a really good level I could recommend for this, but don't have the code right now. It uses the rising water with launchers on boxes to work as a timer to get to the end of the section.

Was a really good level.

Oct 25, 2017
Really wish there was a way to check your maker profile online. Would be cool to check on level stats and comments while not on the actual game. Also, bookmarks people damn.

I've said it many times since launch, but I miss the SMM1 bookmark site like crazy. You couldn't see comments, but it was much easier to pull out profiles/codes to share with people when away from the game, queue individual levels for later (which you can't really do at all in SMM2, in a baffling omission), and I also liked getting a bird's-eye-view of a creator's whole body of work in terms of scale or difficulty level. I would never have been able to do my big SMM1 catch-up earlier this year without it. It's quite clunky for me right now to dig up codes for levels I played a while ago but want to share, which is what I did for that amazing 3DW advanced cat-dive level discussed further up the page; I have to drop whatever I'm in the middle of doing in-game and comb through my subscriptions and likes.

As said above, crates in the 3DW style do this job exactly. If you want to look at a demo of a number of different things you can do with this mechanic, this is actually one of the ideas my level Flame War on a Series of Tubes (XSJ-LF2-CCG) explores pretty extensively, and I've seen a few other 3DW forest levels play with it as well.

Last edited:

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
I understand when there is a thematic or gameplay reason for it, but too many level creators are guilty of not using progressive powerups. I'm not sure if it's because they don't know how or if they just don't want to. It is especially disappointing when playing traditional-style levels where progressives really should be expected.

For the record, you put a mushroom over the other powerup to make it progressive.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I wanted to do a Mario World take on the classic Airship for awhile and settled on something of a theme.

Hot Airship Balloon Assault
92G-L2W-1RG
"Grab 5 red coins and avoid tool throwing minions aboard hot air balloons!"

The level is visually very nice but I think it's too tightly packed and difficult to navigate through. the height between the base and the balloons on some of these is really too low imo. You also need to use coins or adjust platform heights a bit so there is less blind jumping vertically. The boss fight was good though.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Made a new 10 seconds speedrun. CW0-39Q-Q1H.

They are short because that's the lenght I can beat. More than this I could never upload them =)

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I'd also just recommend this level in general. May be my favorite 3D world level so far that I've seen. It's pretty hard, but the short speed burst type rooms are really cool.

QYL-RDW-X7G

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The level is visually very nice but I think it's too tightly packed and difficult to navigate through. the height between the base and the balloons on some of these is really too low imo. You also need to use coins or adjust platform heights a bit so there is less blind jumping vertically. The boss fight was good though.

Thank you, next time I make a level that's more vertical I'll keep that in mind to spread it out and give more indication of where the player will be headed!

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
I've said it many times since launch, but I miss the SMM1 bookmark site like crazy. You couldn't see comments, but it was much easier to pull out profiles/codes to share with people when away from the game, queue individual levels for later (which you can't really do at all in SMM2, in a baffling omission), and I also liked getting a bird's-eye-view of a creator's whole body of work in terms of scale or difficulty level. I would never have been able to do my big SMM1 catch-up earlier this year without it. It's quite clunky for me right now to dig up codes for levels I played a while ago but want to share, which is what I did for that amazing 3DW advanced cat-dive level discussed further up the page; I have to drop whatever I'm in the middle of doing in-game and comb through my subscriptions and likes.

As said above, crates in the 3DW style do this job exactly. If you want to look at a demo of a number of different things you can do with this mechanic, this is actually one of the ideas my level Flame War on a Series of Tubes (XSJ-LF2-CCG) explores pretty extensively, and I've seen a few other 3DW forest levels play with it as well.

Thanks, great level! I like how the bullet bills float on the surface too!

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Anyone else just sticking to only one game style?
I've only been playing the 3d world levels so far and they're really fun.

iag

Oct 27, 2017

ID:
7FN-J75-RFF

Very nice. I usually don't like car levels, but yours have lots of room for errors. I liked it.

Ok, I think I just uploaded the finest level yet. I had one thing in mind with this one. I set a challenge. Is it possible to give a Switch to a 1 year old for 2 minutes and have them make a beatable Mario Maker level? Well that question has finally been answered. Please play my, although not actually my, latest creation.

A 1 year old. 2 minutes. Go!

CTT - XCS - 15G
Took me a lot more than I thought, but I finally beat it. Have science gone too far?

Reuploaded my course with a few changes.

Peace Piece World:
WFH-S3M-G3G
Got lost at it, lol. Will try again later.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Here's a hard NSMBU castle stage. It contains two boss battles and relies mostly on Thwomp mechanics. Enjoy!
H31-V33-BQG

Solid level. I didn't find it too hard. On the Boom Boom Boss fight this is just a personal gripe but I don't like lava bubbles coming up in fights like this because it's not telegraphed and it's too easy to hit the player amidst the action. I didn't actually get hit granted but it's still a pet peeve of mine.

Reuploaded my course with a few changes.

Peace Piece World:
WFH-S3M-G3G

Fun level. Took me the whole timer to beat. The spring shell part is confusing though.

I understand when there is a thematic or gameplay reason for it, but too many level creators are guilty of not using progressive powerups. I'm not sure if it's because they don't know how or if they just don't want to. It is especially disappointing when playing traditional-style levels where progressives really should be expected.

For the record, you put a mushroom over the other powerup to make it progressive.

I think its a combination of not knowing how and also not being capable of making a level that doesn't break when you up the power up beyond big Mario. A lot of levels with progressive power ups just break the second you get the cape or the fire flower because the creator can't account for the abilities. I agree its disappointing.

Also, you can also make a power up progressive by holding it. The option to add a mushroom pops up.

jarosh

Nov 30, 2017
Finally made my first Mario Maker 2 level. Are any of the people from the old MM community on GAF still around here?

Anyway, here it is:

Chsds7Q.png

Not too difficult of a level. Entirely vertical, inspired by some levels and ideas from my game Octahedron :)

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Just wanted to say, I loved the theme of this level! Obviously not dificult or anything (though I have yet to see a difficult and engaging super ball level outside of a breakout-inspired level), but still fun all the same!

Thanks!

I've picked up several useful tips on here to apply to my future levels, resetera has a great community.

For anyone else interested in playing a Superball space-themed level, it's here:

Goomba Mothership: VWN-FN0-LDF