• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for your input. Will take a look at it.
You're supposed to briefly let go of the run buttons as you come to the shell.
After the thwomp you wait at the lava. A grey shell will pop up in the lava.

Alright cleared it. Honestly it's a good level, it is very fair. The on/off switch part was actually fine. It was me fucking it up by trying to go on the fire bar. Once I realized you didn't need to it was fine. Hard but not nearly as much as I was making it. The grey shell though, maybe it is just me but I think that needs an indication. I kept trying to figure out what to do and never saw it. Sometimes it didn't even spawn when I waited. That needs better sign posting imo.

After the check point is actually very reasonable. Died maybe 4 times total. Good level. In future levels just make sure its relatively obvious what the player needs to do for all challenges. It doesn't take away from the difficulty. You did that pretty well for the majority of the level.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
I have a silver Weekly Maker Points medal again and I don't know why or how. It just happened when I turned on my game this morning. Weekly Maker Points are a complete mystery to me. That's like twice in a week, but I guess technically two weeks in a row. I have been getting a lot of likes and comments but my Maker Points were stagnating. I don't get this game at all.
Yeah they're definitely strange, when my level blew up, I was top of the weekly chart with 5000ish points, but the level had only bumped my overall points by about 1000 to 11500, and there's no way I was was on 6500 total a week before, I'm sure my total had been around 8-9000 for a while.
I have a theory that the weekly points are calculated before whatever modifier is applied that means you earn less points when your total is high. So, if I'd posted the same level on a fresh account, I'd have earned 5000 odd total from it, so that's what the weekly score gets listed at.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Hey guys and gals. You boy money is finally back after a 3 week hiatus with my 6th level. I think this one has a really cool theme to it. I made a space level but it has a bit of a non traditional twist to it. I had fun making this one. Would love it you guys would play it and provide feedback!! I present:

Course Name: Deep Space Excursion
Course ID: 7DN-G2X-J3G
This is really cool, I love all the work that's gone into the presentation, and the difficulty is nicely balanced. Maybe a low-gravity area would have been nice? Although the floaty physics have been more annoying than fun in the levels I've played that used it, so maybe not!

Made a new course. It's more or less a sequel to Suntouch Sanctuary. Only different!
There are also 5 (!) bonus coins hidden in this course. So if you like exploring courses, this is for you.
You can take your time or pretty much run through most parts of the course, so play it however you like!

------------------------------------------------------

Excellent as ever, I wish I could do this sort of whole level as a functional unit design, I tend to just build one obstacle at the time and hope it all comes together! Yet again, I didn't see the end coming!
I did manage to get the clown car irretrievably stuck at one point, and had to jump down a hole, but that was my fault for buggering around with it ;)

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah they're definitely strange, when my level blew up, I was top of the weekly chart with 5000ish points, but the level had only bumped my overall points by about 1000 to 11500, and there's no way I was was on 6500 total a week before, I'm sure my total had been around 8-9000 for a while.
I have a theory that the weekly points are calculated before whatever modifier is applied that means you earn less points when your total is high. So, if I'd posted the same level on a fresh account, I'd have earned 5000 odd total from it, so that's what the weekly score gets listed at.

I'm pretty sure the weekly point are just whatever your maker score would be only counting what you obtained that week. Your maker point gain slows the higher you get so while a new level that goes huge adds several thousand points to a fresh low score, since you already had a very high score previously, it didn't give you the massive gain it would to a less popular creator.

Basically you're popular as fuck and dont get the massive gainz. Please share the wealth :P

Edit: lmao I just repeated what you said. I dunno why it wasnt registering before.

This is really cool, I love all the work that's gone into the presentation, and the difficulty is nicely balanced. Maybe a low-gravity area would have been nice? Although the floaty physics have been more annoying than fun in the levels I've played that used it, so maybe not

Thanks!! Presentation is maybe the one thing I think my levels have going for them so its nice to get that feedback. The low G doesnt work well with how I design my levels. I have tried a few times and it always just feels sloppy. I'm not good enough yet to really step that far outta my zone.

The city portion I worked a lot on trying to make the platforming fun and open ended but not too easy. I dunno though. The level hasn't really caught on like I would have hoped conpared to my other levels. It may be too long, bland or messy. Not really sure where I could improve it.

Oh well, thanks for the feedback!!

Last edited:

mORTEN

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Alright cleared it. Honestly it's a good level, it is very fair. The on/off switch part was actually fine. It was me fucking it up by trying to go on the fire bar. Once I realized you didn't need to it was fine. Hard but not nearly as much as I was making it. The grey shell though, maybe it is just me but I think that needs an indication. I kept trying to figure out what to do and never saw it. Sometimes it didn't even spawn when I waited. That needs better sign posting imo.

After the check point is actually very reasonable. Died maybe 4 times total. Good level. In future levels just make sure its relatively obvious what the player needs to do for all challenges. It doesn't take away from the difficulty. You did that pretty well for the majority of the level.
Thanks a million friend. First time I'm doing something like this and it's so much more satisfying when people play it and provide feedback.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
Another throwback-style course, this time vaguely aping the Bridge areas and Cookie Mountain from SMW: Sponge Cake Mountain
HNX-RC7-0BG

EBQEeABUEAAsepm

Be careful, it gets kind of crowded up there, and it's not a friendly crowd, either.

Oct 25, 2017
EBQHvYwU8AAufDi

I wanted to make an airship level that didn't have the usual airship aesthetic. This is where I ended up. You'll jump from plane to plane, coming across fighter jets (like you see here), a couple of smaller bob-ombers, and eventually board Bowser's Biggest Bob-Omber and blow it up from the inside.

Originally I had a crazy concept. You were going to release bombs "accidentally" from the final ship in the armada, then have to explore the world below which would be styled as a nuclear wasteland. I gave up on that and just kept the airship side of the level. The sub area now just models a couple of small areas inside the final plane.

I've yet to build a "normal" level, and that's actually my next project. I'm going to constraint myself. One level, from each style, exactly one area long, and each needs to feel like it could theoretically be a "real" level. I need to get a better feel for what it takes to make levels that aren't style over substance. I have 1.5 done (well, ready for testing) and will probably start uploading them when I get 3-4 "done."

Lobster

Jul 23, 2019
I'm pretty sure the weekly point are just whatever your maker score would be only counting what you obtained that week. Your maker point gain slows the higher you get so while a new level that goes huge adds several thousand points to a fresh low score, since you already had a very high score previously, it didn't give you the massive gain it would to a less popular creator.

Basically you're popular as fuck and dont get the massive gainz. Please share the wealth :P

Edit: lmao I just repeated what you said. I dunno why it wasnt registering before.
That was what I was thinking how they worked, but I haven't seen any solid confirmation. But I mean I've had my head up my own ass on the All-Time for so long that I can't recognize how many points I'm actually earning. It literally made me lol irl to read what Gotdatmoney said. I don't think of myself as popular af but I actually am. It's weird because I was such a nobody in MM1. This game definitely works differently than the first one in how levels are shared and brought up to the general playerbase.

Core Zero

Oct 25, 2017
Yet more of my BS: No Time For Cold Feet
T7R-YH9-5JG

I honestly hadn't made a shoe level yet.
So I did.

Pretty basic level, but I'll never complain about decent shoe levels, 5-3 was so lonely for so long.

Here is a level I spent a lot of time on (and even more on its sequel, currently in the works):

Super Recto/Verso Land 24P-217-J0H

The concept of the level is sort of 3D since every time you take a door, you go behind the scenery: areas without ground or background will therefore be strictly symmetrical, but everything else will have some differences that you'll of course have to exploit.

The level is actually not too hard - it used to be harder on puzzle and exploration, but I chose to favour flow over everything else.

I really like this style of level, reminiscent of the World 8 fortress from SMB3, another style I'm happy to see more of. I tried designing one in MM1 but it was too long, and that was before checkpoints came out. I would do it very differently now, and I just might in the future. This is a really good example of how to do a fun, not to challenging level like this. Also, clever setting the second checkpoint to not have issues with the key door (yeah I died a few times trying to go too fast...).

Yoshi's Sandy Bellyslide Coaster
RXV-K3D-L7G

Solid auto level, but because of the coin requirement there's no way to cheese a faster finish, and I'm that sort of person so I'm sad you denied me.
(/s)

Very hard but fair and short speed run lvl.
I made an effort with the look and feel.
"Stay Cool"
Course ID: MGD-H08-X9G
Maker ID: CC3-RL5-C1H

Grabbed the WR on this one, I agree with the earlier comments about the shell kick and the dry bones shell. It seems like the music change was supposed to signal to wait, and there's really no place else to go, so I don't think the dry bones shell is that bad. But I read the comments here first so I knew what to expect. The shell kick is just finicky enough that it felt frustratingly inconsistent.

Overall, the level feels a little disjointed. The first part and the second part are so different as to almost feel like two different levels. not necessarily a problem, but I would never have expected the second half after seeing the first half. Overall it was pretty fun though, and that's really all that matters.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Chyo, gonna drop some feedback and then hit the hay. For those who haven't given it a try would love more feedback on my newest level:

Course Name: Deep Space Excursion
Course ID: 7DN-G2X-J3G

Aight, lets go this.

Thanks a million friend. First time I'm doing something like this and it's so much more satisfying when people play it and provide feedback.

No worries. Always down to give feedback. Core Zero had some good feeddback as well. Took the world record from me too (shakes fist)

Another throwback-style course, this time vaguely aping the Bridge areas and Cookie Mountain from SMW: Sponge Cake Mountain
HNX-RC7-0BG

EBQEeABUEAAsepm

Be careful, it gets kind of crowded up there, and it's not a friendly crowd, either.

Fun level. Pretty traditional. I would just note in areas with mushroom platforms, try to signpost when a drop is safe. A few of them were relatively blind. I think you got the feel of a Mario World level right. I think you could probably space out some of the obstacles here and there so the level feels a bit more open. Otherwise good job.

EBQHvYwU8AAufDi

I wanted to make an airship level that didn't have the usual airship aesthetic. This is where I ended up. You'll jump from plane to plane, coming across fighter jets (like you see here), a couple of smaller bob-ombers, and eventually board Bowser's Biggest Bob-Omber and blow it up from the inside.

Originally I had a crazy concept. You were going to release bombs "accidentally" from the final ship in the armada, then have to explore the world below which would be styled as a nuclear wasteland. I gave up on that and just kept the airship side of the level. The sub area now just models a couple of small areas inside the final plane.

I've yet to build a "normal" level, and that's actually my next project. I'm going to constraint myself. One level, from each style, exactly one area long, and each needs to feel like it could theoretically be a "real" level. I need to get a better feel for what it takes to make levels that aren't style over substance. I have 1.5 done (well, ready for testing) and will probably start uploading them when I get 3-4 "done."

Unreal looking level. This one is going to be really popular, can already tell. The platforming felt pretty good. Lots of canon bouncing which is always a take it or leave it mechanic (I personally like it). The destruction of the final ship was really cool. The level was a good mixture of platforming and aesthetics. I wouldn't worry about it too much. These are "normal" levels as far as I'm concerned.

Here is a level I spent a lot of time on (and even more on its sequel, currently in the works):

Super Recto/Verso Land 24P-217-J0H

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BSuper%2BRecto%2BVerso%2BLand.png

The concept of the level is sort of 3D since every time you take a door, you go behind the scenery: areas without ground or background will therefore be strictly symmetrical, but everything else will have some differences that you'll of course have to exploit.

The level is actually not too hard - it used to be harder on puzzle and exploration, but I chose to favour flow over everything else.

It honestly took my mind a while to wrap my head around the concept. Very well done level though. It's weird but it reminded me of a level in SMB2 USA where you travel through doors under the belly of the level. Really well made. Not difficult but cool to uncover the tricks.

Yet more of my BS: No Time For Cold Feet
T7R-YH9-5JG

EBJZug_UIAA_dkF

I honestly hadn't made a shoe level yet.
So I did.

I always like messing around in the shoe. That said this level is a little bland for my liking. I think you need to be more exciting with the level design. It didn't feel like there were any real challenges that needed to be overcome.

For anyone looking to play some more (mostly) traditional Mario levels

Super M-Type

Classic Shoot 'em up action.

M20-NJD-35G

I had fun with this one. I enjoy a good fire clown car shoot em up. Always down to play these.

mORTEN

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Grabbed the WR on this one, I agree with the earlier comments about the shell kick and the dry bones shell. It seems like the music change was supposed to signal to wait, and there's really no place else to go, so I don't think the dry bones shell is that bad. But I read the comments here first so I knew what to expect. The shell kick is just finicky enough that it felt frustratingly inconsistent.

Overall, the level feels a little disjointed. The first part and the second part are so different as to almost feel like two different levels. not necessarily a problem, but I would never have expected the second half after seeing the first half. Overall it was pretty fun though, and that's really all that matters.

Thanks a bunch for playing! It really keeps the fun going.
You are right that the music is supposed to tell you to chill and wait. That might not have been as obvious as I thought it would be. The shell kick is hard, but when you get the timing down you can do it consistently. You let go of the run button just before you hit the shell and then hold it in again as you make the jump to the first on/off block. I enjoyed that part myself, so it kinda sucks people don't seem to like it. Ah well.
It's also intensional that the second part is a big change of pace - figured people would spend a lot of time clearing the first part, so they'd need it. Might be too jarring.
Congrats on the WR and thanks again for playing!

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Switchblock Palace
1YB-215-VLF

I've just re-uploaded on one my older levels with a bunch of nasty softlocks removed and some tweaks to make it a bit more forgiving. It's a level based around hitting switch block targets with shells to proceed, previously you could get stuck in the safety device to stop the shells bouncing back at you, but I've (hopefully) made it foolproof this time!

yumayuma

Feb 23, 2018
fox gos to sqace

381-TBF-TBG

This was inspired by a typo in MM1. You almost only bounce and jump upon enemies. The moon, which is usually useful, screws with you because he will erase your platforms if you touch him.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
"good old mushroom picking"

RL3-6J3-MCG

Mario has a walk in the Woods to collect tasty mushrooms. But someone should have warned him that he should be more selective with the type of mushrooms he chooses to eat.

Play it before Nintendo pulls it out and tell me what you thought about it !

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
And here is Part 6...

Déjà Boo 6 : Boo-ater is Wet
ID: FMS YHS 3KG

This is definitively the more action-oriented level in my Déjà Boo series, as the usual twist takes a backseat and appears in a very different way than previously.

It's a departure for sure, as I'm not sure I will be able to top part 5 as far as the twist goes, so I tried something new.

I hope you guys enjoy it.

Oct 25, 2017
Unreal looking level. This one is going to be really popular, can already tell. The platforming felt pretty good. Lots of canon bouncing which is always a take it or leave it mechanic (I personally like it). The destruction of the final ship was really cool. The level was a good mixture of platforming and aesthetics. I wouldn't worry about it too much. These are "normal" levels as far as I'm concerned.

Hey thanks for the kind words!

I'm curious - did you die during the escape sequence? I rebuilt that section a half dozen times because I wanted it to feel super dangerous while hopefully being pretty simple to escape first try. I ended up giving a 1-up right before and a checkpoint as well because I was paranoid about people dying in what was supposed to be a fun moment not a hard moment.

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
Hello everyone! This is my first ever level:
KM9-QKW-N7G

Bowser's Crazy Claws
I don't know if I went too far up my ass with this one, but I'm pretty pleased with the result. This is the first time I ever really sat down and tried to make a level that I would enjoy playing, but I'm not sure if it'll be too hard or too easy. I also utilized some of the unused ideas scrapped in the creation process for the optional coin/1UP challenges. Please give me some feed back if any of you end up playing it!

I'll be sure to play plenty of the levels posted :)

Oct 27, 2017

We all knew this level was inevitable. Ending up being a little harder to clear than intended but nothing too tricky.
Edit: Fixed the tweet with the correct code.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Hey thanks for the kind words!

I'm curious - did you die during the escape sequence? I rebuilt that section a half dozen times because I wanted it to feel super dangerous while hopefully being pretty simple to escape first try. I ended up giving a 1-up right before and a checkpoint as well because I was paranoid about people dying in what was supposed to be a fun moment not a hard moment.

I didn't die at all during the level. So if that sequence was suppose to be relatively easy I would say that was my impression with it.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
New level!

Bouncin' Mushrooms and Piranhas

PKY 3JQ 9WG

3D World style level where you bounce on mushrooms and avoid Piranha Creepers and plants. There's 3 red coins to find as well. I'm quite proud of it and hope someone can play and critique it :)

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
First attempt at a level (the others under my user are my son's).

8T0-F0R-FJF

Love this game!
Great first level! I thought it was a little unfocused though, and I was unsure what to do the first couple of runs. I would suggest bringing the scope down a little. I enjoyed it though!

It took me AGES to finish this level, but finally I have a new one :)

CJM-MPJ-4MG

QiBTK1E.png
I can honestly say that I had a smile on my face the entire time I was playing this level. :) Really awesome work, you're super talented.

New level!

Bouncin' Mushrooms and Piranhas

PKY 3JQ 9WG

3D World style level where you bounce on mushrooms and avoid Piranha Creepers and plants. There's 3 red coins to find as well. I'm quite proud of it and hope someone can play and critique it :)
This is a fun level. :) I would have preferred it to be more difficult, but that's my personal tastes. I thought that your aesthetics were really pleasing (the piranha plant following you in the clear pipe made me smile), and I think the replayability with the three red coins added a nice touch. I think you should focus on replayability in your next levels, because that's what I enjoyed the most I think.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
This a fun level. :) I would have preferred it to be more difficult, but that's my personal tastes. I thought that your aesthetics were really pleasing (the piranha plant following you in the clear pipe made me smile), and I think the replayability with the three red coins added a nice touch. I think you should focus on replayability in your next levels, because that's what I enjoyed the most I think.
Thank you! Really I appreciate your criticism, comments, and play. Do you have any levels of your own, or wanna share your ID? I'd love to try them out

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't die at all during the level. So if that sequence was suppose to be relatively easy I would say that was my impression with it.

That's actually perfect. The back end especially has a lot of cannon spam but I kept tweaking it so that it felt more dangerous than it actually was. It's just really hard to get a good feel for it when you've been playtesting it over and over and over again.

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
Thank you! Really I appreciate your criticism, comments, and play. Do you have any levels of your own, or wanna share your ID? I'd love to try them out
As it so happens, I just uploaded my first level a couple of minutes ago:
KM9-QKW-N7G

I tried to make a somewhat traditional level but I'm not sure how it went. Let me know what you think!

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
Here's a somewhat short and forgiving moving platform level. Also, some cannonball jumps. I thought it was pretty fun. Medium difficulty.

"Ejection"
CD1-FJF-J4G

Nov 3, 2017
Boreal Hinterlands

ID: C09-G32-TGG

Description: A traditional style level for everyone! Can you find the 3 big coins?
I tried to make a level that wouldn't be too out of place in an official 2D Mario game so I made a conscious effort to make it accessible to players of all skill levels while still presenting a challenge for players who may play the game in Multiplayer Versus. I hope you all enjoy!

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I've clocked in approximately 50 hours while making this level.

I hope you enjoy! I'm concerned it's too difficult for the wider audience and I'm not sure how it will feel without the benefit of nostalgia from non-Sonic fans.

Nevertheless, here is:

Sonic 1 —> All 6 bosses + 3 big rings

P9F-7C7-D5G

EBX8v3tVAAAy9Mh

Lobster

Jul 23, 2019
This level was almost too difficult for me to upload (the part without checkpoints is the killer) but I'm guessing it's actually not too hard. I'm Lobster Bad at Mario, after all! Anybody want to give it a shot?

Edit: I did the bad Lobster thing I always do and deleted my level and reuploaded it, this time because there was a typo in the description. The new course code is 9WC-Q86-LDF.

The moral of the story is wait like 8-12 hours to play one of my levels unless you just want to beta test and give me feedback.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mhYPQu7.jpg

To Felman Mountain and Back
PYF-L5B-5KG

I am very satisfied with my 10th uploaded level. It's an adventure in which you have to climb an ancient Norse God's mountain, survive the ancient challenges that lie on the path, then as the sun goes down find your way home. Designing a world that would make sense front and back, day and night was a challenge, but I had a lot of fun building it and I am positive this is one of my best creations so far. Looking forward to your feedback. Good luck and have fun!

P.S.: The level is very varied and ambitious, but I wanted to use a picture that represented the concept, without revealing the twists and turns I invented along the way. I think there's a couple places that are quite unlike what you've seen before, but you'll be the judge.

Lobster

Jul 23, 2019
Spot the Difference is trending! I'm getting pretty good at getting my levels to trend. :)

Edit: Splatterglup Swamp is trending now too. OK, so basically I can get any of my levels to trend, but I can't get them to stay there. All you big-time people who are better at the game than me, any hints?

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm outta creative juice, I'm this close to just remixing some of my original SMM1 ideas.
Honestly I'm surprised I lasted this long.

Petohtalrayn

Nov 3, 2017
I miss having amiibo functionality. I loved having all those character options in mario maker 1. Is there any news about that?

Anyway here's a whole bunch of garbage for anyone.

Trash CD5-RLV-59G
Do you feel like a hero yet? R23-LLQ-C0H
In his world (his world) F9P-65C-WGF
Please don't leave me 9CP-TY6-NMF

Last edited:

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
You can't force course ideas and one does not have to make a new course every couple of days. If you are missing the inspiration skip the maker mode for some days, even weeks. Play other era courses, endless or heck, even a different game. Super Mario Maker 2 will stay here for quite some time and there will be new content eventually.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Reflected Dreams

CQX-SV8-8FF

I do like to make a rod for my own back. As if it wasn't hard enough making a level with only red and blue objects, I also made it symmetrical and downwards scrolling vertical...I think it might be a little on the short side, but that's because it was a massive pain to make! The only thing I'm not happy about is that I had to use the super slippy night snow theme, as it was the only way to get blue blocks on the left hand scroll stop. It's a shame that ice blocks don't count, as they are pretty much the same as hard blocks.

The real gimmick here is the music, which changes between the red and blue sides.

Really cool idea. Did you cluster the whole fucking course with music blocks or are there certain trigger points when both paths are crossing? Maybe even on some enemys and other course elements? I agree tho, there is no reason ice blocks can't stop the scroll.

Haha, wow, thank you very much!

Actually, I was about to reupload a lot of those to correct a few imperfections, improve the flow, and make speedrunning more fun.
Damn you! Haha. Nevermind tho, I got the WR's again.
The outpost was a freaking nightmare before your update (at least speedrunning it).

Lobster

Jul 23, 2019
You can't force course ideas and one does not have to make a new course every couple of days. If you are missing the inspiration skip the maker mode for some days, even weeks. Play other era courses, endless or heck, even a different game. Super Mario Maker 2 will stay here for quite some time and there will be new content eventually.
This is really good advice that I should learn to take but probably won't. Maybe I should give myself a week's break from creating and only play? I love creating (or I wouldn't have a whopping 27 courses) but I feel so pressured to be "great." I want to be outstanding like all the Makers I admire so much. It's not necessarily limiting my enjoyment of the game, because I'm still having a blast, but maybe I could be having even more fun if I didn't have some false, self-imposed pressure to be "The Best Ever Like Matilder and Gokou."

But I mean, if one of those people is saying that, I should probably do it. :P

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I'm back after a bit of a vacation for my birthday, and I didn't really have time to make an elaborate course for this round.

Classic Castle: WV4-WC7-9KF
I wanted to make something of a callback to 1-4. Super simple, fast, and smooth with Firebars being the main obstacle here. I'll be back to making longer courses this week. Until then, time to play more Era courses! I try to follow a ton of people on here and just hit the Star tab and go to town!

Three Dee Road: 7QJ-GV1-NRF
Retro Road Redux: RVQ-8HS-R1G
Cheep-Cheep River Remix: GCC-H6N-4MG
Scorched Tower Ruins: 67F-421-6RF
Sand Springs: LCB-F5J-J5G
Overflow Frontier: 639-C0V-BGF
Butter Bridge Brigade: MKM-SFN-Q9G
Spiny Central: KDK-BGP-H9G
Bully Tracker: WWV-4QB-9YF
Creeper Aquarium: 75D-X6P-FPF
Bonesaw Base Remix: FXG-B9Y-9BG
Big Block Break: 20R-VJY-48G
Spike Top Summit: Q8X-1VK-BCG
Pristine Propeller: RSV-XLT-DGG

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Not sure if it has improved since launch or I just got lucky, but I just played online versus for a bit and had pretty good luck with connections! I think it helped that the stages I got were more focused on battling / objectives than twitch platforming though.

I also LOVE how slick the UI design is across the board in this. This really feels like a complete package, and you can tell it's made by new blood. Especially after skipping the first, I'm super impressed!

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I'm currently going through my old levels to see what can be improved.
So here is an old idea redone because, frankly, the first version had a bullshit difficulty.

EBbv__BUEAEX0id

Climate Change is REAL - Version 2
ID: Y53 Q8H C1H

Will Toadette solve Climate Change, or will Mushroom Kingdom fall?

This level is a platformer through the icy desert and the burning snowy landscapes of the Mushroom Kingdom. Climate Change is REAL, my dudes, and Toadette is going to fix it by herself.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Really cool idea. Did you cluster the whole fucking course with music blocks or are there certain trigger points when both paths are crossing? Maybe even on some enemys and other course elements? I agree tho, there is no reason ice blocks can't stop the scroll.
Thanks! The music is attached to the enemies trapped in blocks throughout the level, and I think a bill blaster in one place. It works because the level is symmetrical, so when you cross the centre line, you'll always be closer to music emitter on that side than the other side, and the music changes.

Lobster

Jul 23, 2019
Thanks! The music is attached to the enemies trapped in blocks throughout the level, and I think a bill blaster in one place. It works because the level is symmetrical, so when you cross the centre line, you'll always be closer to music emitter on that side than the other side, and the music changes.
You're such a genius at this game. Christ. I stand in awe, never would have thought to do it that way.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Spot the Difference is trending! I'm getting pretty good at getting my levels to trend. :)

Edit: Splatterglup Swamp is trending now too. OK, so basically I can get any of my levels to trend, but I can't get them to stay there. All you big-time people who are better at the game than me, any hints?
I wish I knew too! ;) I think it definitely helps to have a snappy or interesting name, and a thumbnail that stands out and makes it look at a glance that the level is going to be worth trying. Once you've got the audience in, you need them to give it a like, which is like getting blood from a stone! It helps if the level is entertaining but not too hard. I think all but one of my courses has charted at some point, but I only have 2 that stuck around and got over 1000 plays. (Ok, one of those ended up with 130K plays, but I've no idea how to repeat that!) Honestly, I think a lot of it is luck, based on who happens to be playing when your level gets dropped into the chart. If it gets an initial rush of likes, it's going to stay near the top of the page a little longer, and get more plays and hopefully likes, leading to a feedback loop. Otherwise it'll quickly drop down, and even if it still gets a decent amount of plays, it won't be the hundreds a minute you need to get super-popular. Sometimes these rules don't seem to apply though. There's a level that's been near the top of the chart for a few days called Hardcore Jumps. The thumbnail is dull and the level is very hard and nothing special to play in my opinion, but it's doing well and I don't know why.
This is really good advice that I should learn to take but probably won't. Maybe I should give myself a week's break from creating and only play? I love creating (or I wouldn't have a whopping 27 courses) but I feel so pressured to be "great." I want to be outstanding like all the Makers I admire so much. It's not necessarily limiting my enjoyment of the game, because I'm still having a blast, but maybe I could be having even more fun if I didn't have some false, self-imposed pressure to be "The Best Ever Like Matilder and Gokou."

But I mean, if one of those people is saying that, I should probably do it. :P
Haha it's funny to see you say that, I'm exactly the same, even though I'm in the top 100 now, I still feel like I need to put out better levels so I can be really good like Matilder and Nocturnowl! Your levels are a ton of fun to play though, I'm sure you'll get one that sticks in the chart and does big numbers soon.