• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Anyone else playing other 2D Mario games for inspiration? I started a new game of NSMBU to see if I can really get a grasp on what makes these levels tick. What really differentiates 2D Mario from most 2D platformers, imo, is room for player expression. The levels are designed in such a way that you feel like you have the freedom to move around and explore a world using a diverse and fun moveset, but there are challenges strewn throughout for more advanced players looking for a more demanding experience. NSMBU specifically was designed with all this in mind, plus the ability to play with 4 people... but the multiplayer never feels forced in any way!

Fucking master class level design. It's a true shame that the art style, music, and sound effects are derivative, if not utter trash (particularly the sound design, imo), because with a fresh coat of paint I think this game could easily have been heralded as Nintendo's 2D Mario masterpiece.

Lobster

Jul 23, 2019
I wish I knew too! ;) I think it definitely helps to have a snappy or interesting name, and a thumbnail that stands out and makes it look at a glance that the level is going to be worth trying. Once you've got the audience in, you need them to give it a like, which is like getting blood from a stone! It helps if the level is entertaining but not too hard. I think all but one of my courses has charted at some point, but I only have 2 that stuck around and got over 1000 plays. (Ok, one of those ended up with 130K plays, but I've no idea how to repeat that!) Honestly, I think a lot of it is luck, based on who happens to be playing when your level gets dropped into the chart. If it gets an initial rush of likes, it's going to stay near the top of the page a little longer, and get more plays and hopefully likes, leading to a feedback loop. Otherwise it'll quickly drop down, and even if it still gets a decent amount of plays, it won't be the hundreds a minute you need to get super-popular. Sometimes these rules don't seem to apply though. There's a level that's been near the top of the chart for a few days called Hardcore Jumps. The thumbnail is dull and the level is very hard and nothing special to play in my opinion, but it's doing well and I don't know why.

Haha it's funny to see you say that, I'm exactly the same, even though I'm in the top 100 now, I still feel like I need to put out better levels so I can be really good like Matilder and Nocturnowl! Your levels are a ton of fun to play though, I'm sure you'll get one that sticks in the chart and does big numbers soon.
Thanks for the musings on how to get plays. I've definitely noticed a difference in my 1K+ levels' play count than my merely multiple hundreds... the influx is very very fast and they stay on the charts much longer. Idk if it's to do with time of day or if it's something to do with the levels themselves though. I love to give them good names and fun descriptions, and my thumbnails have definitely evolved over time if you check out my levels. I've now had 7 courses chart, including almost all of my recent courses, which I put down to learning to engage more with the wider community instead of the small group of people I was initially playing with, as well as probably a positive feedback loop from people discovering and following me every time I trend, making them more likely to play one of my new levels. Also, even levels I don't promote seem to come up in Endless quite often. Not counting the level I uploaded less than 24 hours ago, all but two of my levels have 100+ plays. That's 24/26 levels with what you could consider a quite staggering (for MM) spread of hits. It's clear that the game just organically has been serving up my levels more often than the average player's. So really, I shouldn't be complaining or worrying so much. I definitely don't feel like I get boo'd very often and that's a good thing. I feel confident in my skills as a creator... sometimes I just worry that I don't have that "spark" that you mad lad super creators seem to have. Thank you for the kind words though. If you feel I'm on the right track, I hopefully am. I think I'll still take Matilder's advice and take a break for a bit though!
Anyone else playing other 2D Mario games for inspiration? I started a new game of NSMBU to see if I can really get a grasp on what makes these levels tick. What really differentiates 2D Mario from most 2D platformers, imo, is room for player expression. The levels are designed in such a way that you feel like you have the freedom to move around and explore a world using a diverse and fun moveset, but there are challenges strewn throughout for more advanced players looking for a more demanding experience. NSMBU specifically was designed with all this in mind, plus the ability to play with 4 people... but the multiplayer never feels forced in any way!

Fucking master class level design. It's a true shame that the art style, music, and sound effects are derivative, if not utter trash (particularly the sound design, imo), because with a fresh coat of paint I think this game could easily have been heralded as Nintendo's 2D Mario masterpiece.
I do play other Mario games and study them for inspiration! They have solid design and can teach you things like when to take rests and how to put fun mini-puzzles for secrets in those rest areas. Things that lend verisimilitude. I think NSMBU is actually quite a good game, especially as you said if you want to create a MP Vs.-friendly level, but one that can also be beaten single player. It is butt-ugly but I actually think that lends it some charm.

In addition to Mario games I find myself studying other platformers as well, particularly Kirby. I'm just a huge fan of those games and they have some fantastic layouts that actually translate quite well to a Mario style of gameplay. A little of this, a little of that, a dash of your own personal style, and presto, instant cool level! My favorite thing to do when I'm making a traditional level is to do Mario + Kirby + me and see what I can come up with.

Oct 25, 2017
None of my levels have even gotten to 100 plays lol.

I definitely need to do more advertising than in this thread that's for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Advertising helps a ton. What's your Maker code btw?

5J7-TRL-VKF

Yeah I feel weird going too hard on the advertising. I post here and that's about it. I should at least try Reddit too, but that place is just flooded. Not really sure what else to do. I do intend to push a little harder with my next project though - just gotta sort out where/how (and without seeming desperate).

Lobster

Jul 23, 2019
5J7-TRL-VKF

Yeah I feel weird going too hard on the advertising. I post here and that's about it. I should at least try Reddit too, but that place is just flooded. Not really sure what else to do. I do intend to push a little harder with my next project though - just gotta sort out where/how (and without seeming desperate).
You have some pretty good levels! Very creative! Definitely try to get them out there a little more. They had a bit of a difficulty curve for someone like me who is bad at Mario but I still enjoyed playing them!

What do you mean by advertising?
Just what it sounds like! Post your level codes in various places. The Switch has a share function that automatically allows you to post and edit screenshots or upload a 30 second video clip to Twiiter (or Facebook but Twitter is probably better). Use that to your advantage! Then you can use what you posted to Twitter as a visual advertisement on forums like this one.

Another good place to post is reddit. Both the Mario Maker and Mario Maker 2 subreddits have level exchanges. You can post your level and play other peoples' in return for feedback and visibility. I also suggest joining a Discord or two with at least a dedicated MM channel. You can post your level codes there before you post them anywhere else and people can give you very fast feedback, find cheese, help with bug fixes, etc, before you are ready to share with the wider world. And you can get plays from there too!

Finally, try going on Twitch! Find a streamer with not too many viewers (~15 is good) who is taking viewer levels and stick around to see yours get played. This is especially helpful because it lets you see how a stranger reacts to your level - very useful if you don't have someone irl who can playtest with you. Most streamers will like the majority of levels they play - they're chill people. And you're also being exposed to new levels and new ideas while you wait for your level to come up in your queue. It's a win for everybody!

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Just what it sounds like! Post your level codes in various places. The Switch has a share function that automatically allows you to post and edit screenshots or upload a 30 second video clip to Twiiter (or Facebook but Twitter is probably better). Use that to your advantage! Then you can use what you posted to Twitter as a visual advertisement on forums like this one.

Another good place to post is reddit. Both the Mario Maker and Mario Maker 2 subreddits have level exchanges. You can post your level and play other peoples' in return for feedback and visibility. I also suggest joining a Discord or two with at least a dedicated MM channel. You can post your level codes there before you post them anywhere else and people can give you very fast feedback, find cheese, help with bug fixes, etc, before you are ready to share with the wider world. And you can get plays from there too!

Finally, try going on Twitch! Find a streamer with not too many viewers (~15 is good) who is taking viewer levels and stick around to see yours get played. This is especially helpful because it lets you see how a stranger reacts to your level - very useful if you don't have someone irl who can playtest with you. Most streamers will like the majority of levels they play - they're chill people. And you're also being exposed to new levels and new ideas while you wait for your level to come up in your queue. It's a win for everybody!

Oh ok, use every available social media you mean. Well I don't intend to have a Twitter or Reddit or Twitch account ever but thanks anyway for your answer.

Simbabbad

Aug 1, 2019
New Super Luigi U is probably my favourite Super Mario game, so I published a remake of one of its levels:

Remake of Wendy's Thwomp Castle PM2-FD6-QMF

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BRemake%2Bof%2BWendy%2527s%2BThwomp%2BCastle.png

It's definitely speedrun-oriented. Compared to an older version (this one is new), it's much smoother for speedrunning.

If you enjoy traditional Mario levels, you may also enjoy my Old School Super Mario series:

Old School Super Mario (Plains)

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Plains%2529.png

Old School Super Mario (Cliffs)

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Cliffs%2529.png

Old School Super Mario (Outpost)

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Outpost%2529.png

Old School Super Mario (Castle)

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Castle%2529.png

--

Now, time for some feedback:

Another throwback-style course, this time vaguely aping the Bridge areas and Cookie Mountain from SMW: Sponge Cake Mountain
HNX-RC7-0BG
I IS crowded indeed, but it's a good occasion to use the spin jump and the grab and throw mechanic of Super Mario World. I loved it, it's simple fun, difficulty is just right.

I wanted to make an airship level that didn't have the usual airship aesthetic. This is where I ended up. You'll jump from plane to plane, coming across fighter jets (like you see here), a couple of smaller bob-ombers, and eventually board Bowser's Biggest Bob-Omber and blow it up from the inside.
The visuals and exploitation of the theme are excellent. I loved when you go back to infiltrate the bomber. The only part I'm not fond of is the winged lava bubbles, it's a bit finicky, I would have put burners there, but you deserve much more visits and likes.

Switchblock Palace
1YB-215-VLF
I loved it, it deserves its success, I like how it becomes very progressively harder.

fox gos to sqace
381-TBF-TBG
I'm not much into "land on blocks in the middle of nothing to survive", I prefer Mario levels that give you a bit of freedom. This being said, the low gravity makes it work, but you spend a good chunk of the level off-screen, and that makes it very hard to aim where you land.

"good old mushroom picking"
RL3-6J3-MCG
It's very funny and well done, but it lacks a checkpoint, at least to cut the stroll before you take the mushroom. The winning condition preventing it probably isn't necessary.

Déjà Boo 6 : Boo-ater is Wet
ID: FMS YHS 3KG
Since the level is a bit confusing/hard to figure out, it should be smoother/quicker/easier to navigate IMHO (turn the 5 blocks jumps into 4 blocks jumps for example). I quit after the first locked door because it took too long to activate the P-switch again after you fail.

KM9-QKW-N7G
Bowser's Crazy Claws
Interesting idea, but I'm not into "land on this exact block at the right moment or die" levels, I need to have some sort of freedom, so I can't judge.

Bouncin' Mushrooms and Piranhas
PKY 3JQ 9WG
Excellent pacing, the freedom and rhythm of the level felt like the original game, very fun!

"Ejection"
CD1-FJF-J4G
It goes way too fast IMHO. In Mario Maker, there is a delay after each death, so it's unfit for hardcore platforming à la Super Meat Boy IMHO.

--

(posts in answer to this level:)

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BSuper%2BRecto%2BVerso%2BLand.png

I really like this style of level, reminiscent of the World 8 fortress from SMB3, another style I'm happy to see more of. I tried designing one in MM1 but it was too long, and that was before checkpoints came out. I would do it very differently now, and I just might in the future. This is a really good example of how to do a fun, not to challenging level like this. Also, clever setting the second checkpoint to not have issues with the key door (yeah I died a few times trying to go too fast...).
It honestly took my mind a while to wrap my head around the concept. Very well done level though. It's weird but it reminded me of a level in SMB2 USA where you travel through doors under the belly of the level. Really well made. Not difficult but cool to uncover the tricks.
Thanks to both of you for playing my level, I'm glad you liked it! The main inspiration actually comes from Wario Land games, but I do see the similarities with SMB2 and SMB3.

I actually designed another level in the same series, taking place in a haunted mansion, it's a good place for that kind of concept. I'll probably publish it when I come home from vacation.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
5J7-TRL-VKF

It's well worth posting on reddit in the daily exchange threads, there's one on \r\MarioMaker and \r\MarioMaker2. They're busy but you'll always pick up a few plays. And if you want to get a few more, go through the thread playing any levels you like the look of, and leave your code in your review, most people will give you a play back. If you post to twitter using the built in feature on the Switch, including your level code in the text, there's a couple of bots that pick it up and re-tweet it, and they have a few thousand followers, so that's extra visibility.
My usual strategy is to post on here, on a british forum called Rllmuk, Twitter and both reddit boards. I usually make a standalone post on each reddit board too. The aim is to get 60-80 plays in the first 24-48 hours, with a 30-50% like rate, that'll usually be enough to get you a spot on the popular chart. Once you're on there it's in the lap of the gods, but even if you flop straight out of the chart you'll usually pick up a few hundred plays.

Lobster

Jul 23, 2019
It's well worth posting on reddit in the daily exchange threads, there's one on \r\MarioMaker and \r\MarioMaker2. They're busy but you'll always pick up a few plays. And if you want to get a few more, go through the thread playing any levels you like the look of, and leave your code in your review, most people will give you a play back. If you post to twitter using the built in feature on the Switch, including your level code in the text, there's a couple of bots that pick it up and re-tweet it, and they have a few thousand followers, so that's extra visibility.
My usual strategy is to post on here, on a british forum called Rllmuk, Twitter and both reddit boards. I usually make a standalone post on each reddit board too. The aim is to get 60-80 plays in the first 24-48 hours, with a 30-50% like rate, that'll usually be enough to get you a spot on the popular chart. Once you're on there it's in the lap of the gods, but even if you flop straight out of the chart you'll usually pick up a few hundred plays.
Yo, you get it. :) I bolded the part that I have a question about: this has happened to me before and is happening to me again with my newest level. Some speedrunners picked it up and drove up the footprints so the like to play ratio is all wonky, but the number of actual players is still quite low. I tend to make levels that speedrunners like but they don't usually pick them up so early on. The last time this happened I figured the level was a lost cause and gave up trying to promote it, but is that actually true? Or is the like to play ratio determined by individual players, not footprints? Similar to the clear rate not actually determing the difficulty, I guess.

Sorry for the double post.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Yo, you get it. :) I bolded the part that I have a question about: this has happened to me before and is happening to me again with my newest level. Some speedrunners picked it up and drove up the footprints so the like to play ratio is all wonky, but the number of actual players is still quite low. I tend to make levels that speedrunners like but they don't usually pick them up so early on. The last time this happened I figured the level was a lost cause and gave up trying to promote it, but is that actually true? Or is the like to play ratio determined by individual players, not footprints? Similar to the clear rate not actually determing the difficulty, I guess.

Sorry for the double post.
I imagine behind the scenes it's using the ratio of individual players to likes, not the actual play count. That would be the sensible way to do it anyway! It's hard to work that out though so I just look at what's displayed and hope it's roughly accurate.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Since the level is a bit confusing/hard to figure out, it should be smoother/quicker/easier to navigate IMHO (turn the 5 blocks jumps into 4 blocks jumps for example). I quit after the first locked door because it took too long to activate the P-switch again after you fail.

Weird. I totally agree with the 4 blocks jumps, but I made the level with an fast way to reset the P-Switch (getting in the pipe near the P-door in case you failed brings you close to the brand new P-Switch), so it kinds of bumps me out that you quit for this exact reason. Oh, well.

Somewhere on the internet I read underwater autoscroll courses are beloved by the whole Super Mario Maker community! So I made one!
Probably the easiest course I made so far. Since it's a slow underwater scrolling level I made sure to dial down the difficulty. Especially the first part is kinda boring, so I made sure dying here is very difficult. It's more a relaxing course trying to teach you the beauty of sound effect use and scroll stop via custom scrolling.

I'm really late to the party, but God, this level was amazing.
I loved, LOVED the way you used custom scroll to transform the level.

If I had one tiny criticism, it's that the level is maybe a tiny little bit too long. Otherwise, it's simply perfect.

Oct 29, 2017
If I remember correctly there's a level submission contest that needs submissions by 6PM ET today. How frequently do these contests happen? My level is basically finished but I haven't had the chance to take screenshots of it yet since I'm at work so I'm probably going to miss the window.

Butane

Nov 2, 2017
So got Mario Maker last week. Didn't really think I was going to make too much in it.... but I've wound up with two levels so far I'm happy(ish) with.

I didn't think I was making them that hard, but considering how many tries they have had compared to clears, I was surprised at so few people were completing them or failing to get to the checkpoints. I revised Cat-stle Climber today to be a bit more friendly and hand-holdy in some areas because of this. I posted them on my Twiter for some exposure, but they aren't getting that much looks since most of the people who follow me do so because of Destiny.

Anyway, I was looking for some criticism and feedback if anyone is interested. I'll have to try out some courses here because the endless challenges tend to run between way too easy to too frustrating with no in-between in my opinion.

Last edited:

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
I hope you like the cold, because this one's cold enough to freeze a brass monkey.
Polar Bear Plunge
173-43N-D5G
EBfPDACU0AAIxES

Take a freezing cold swim through a narrow passage, then dry off with a run through an icy, dangerous area, then jump back in to find more cold water and lots of harmful things.

Stay sharp - the quick of eye and hand can find plenty of secrets in this one. You simply have to keep yourself safe long enough to get them.

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
Interesting idea, but I'm not into "land on this exact block at the right moment or die" levels, I need to have some sort of freedom, so I can't judge.

Thank you for your feedback! I've already begun to try and accommodate this kind of play style in the next level I'm working on, while also trying to maintain a healthy difficulty. Much appreciated!

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
New Super Luigi U is probably my favourite Super Mario game, so I published a remake of one of its levels:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BRemake%2Bof%2BWendy%2527s%2BThwomp%2BCastle.png

It's definitely speedrun-oriented. Compared to an older version (this one is new), it's much smoother for speedrunning.
Really fun! I love speed-running levels and this definitely evoked that. Definitely appreciated the power-trip star rush for getting the red coins.

If you enjoy traditional Mario levels, you may also enjoy my Old School Super Mario series:
These are also quite fun. If you're looking to evoke SMB1, you definitely pull it off. I'm going to try your Wario Land esque level shortly, it seems fun.

Excellent pacing, the freedom and rhythm of the level felt like the original game, very fun!

Really appreciate the play and
comments. I was definitely going for classic Mario with this one, I think it's my best level yet!

Last edited:

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BSuper%2BRecto%2BVerso%2BLand.png

Thanks to both of you for playing my level, I'm glad you liked it! The main inspiration actually comes from Wario Land games, but I do see the similarities with SMB2 and SMB3.

I actually designed another level in the same series, taking place in a haunted mansion, it's a good place for that kind of concept. I'll probably publish it when I come home from vacation.
Awesome level, I liked the puzzle component to it; seemed like it probably took a while to make! Levels like these are what I aspire to be able to create.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017

(posts in answer to this level:)

I played both of these. The first on the stream earlier. You did a good job of replicating the feel of a Mario (Super Luigi) level with the first and I enjoyed the little maze and doubling back in the second course. Both had good checkpoint placement and fair difficulty. I didn't feel lost and I felt guided to where I was supposed to be going. Even in the few spots where I had to figure out the next step, I didn't have to go far to get there, which prevented frustration.

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't made much new levels in a while. But I did make a couple short simple ones if anyone wants to check them out. I plan on making another longer one soon enough.

This one is fairly easy:
1c9yE8M.jpg

I think this is easier than the original?
aCbuYc7.jpg

The original:
hBNSVfi.jpg

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I can't believe I made 7 of those...

EBhA-_qU8AEaRPe

Déjà Boo, Part 7 : À Boo de Nerfs
3LB CXB 62H

And now... for something completely different!
This level is, indeed, quite different from the previous entries, which pleases me very much.

There is no puzzle here, no maze either, it's the first pure-platforming entry in the series. The main twist is still there of course, but I think I managed to keep it fresh with some new trickery. Hopefully it works and you have fun playing it.

The previous entries:
- Déjà Boo All Over Again (9WS HYB 1QG): a short puzzle where player keep killing themselves on purpose on a single Chomp (I'll show you the death marks someday, it's hilarious).
- Déjà Boo Part 2 : Boo Harder (D3S 1M6 1PF): this one is a pure maze/puzzle, which I made way less tedious in this revision.
- Déjà Boo 3 : Tokyo Drift (7NF FSM 7MF): this one is also a pure maze/puzzle, the hardest entry in the series by far.
- Déjà Boo 4 : A Key and Peele Reboot (DDJ RY3 2SG): a return to basics, a simpler maze with a fun twist.
- Déjà Boo, Chapter 5 : Creative Boo-kruptcy (HH7 0GR SJF): a puzzle with nice bits of platforming and my personal favorite implementation of the twist.
- Déjà Boo 6 : Boo-ater is Wet (FMS-YHS 3KG): even more platforming than ever before in a complicated but very solveable maze.

Simbabbad

Aug 1, 2019
Damn you! Haha. Nevermind tho, I got the WR's again.
The outpost was a freaking nightmare before your update (at least speedrunning it).

Well done :-) but you lost the WR for Plains ;-) !

Thanks for the feedback, it counts a lot, it annoyed me to delete and reupload them, so I'm glad they ARE better now indeed. Outpost and Plains were needlessly crowded toward the end.

Really fun! I love speed-running levels and this definitely evoked that. Definitely appreciated the power-trip star rush for getting the red coins.
These are also quite fun. If you're looking to evoke SMB1, you definitely pull it off. I'm going to try your Wario Land esque level shortly, it seems fun.
I played both of these. The first on the stream earlier. You did a good job of replicating the feel of a Mario (Super Luigi) level with the first and I enjoyed the little maze and doubling back in the second course. Both had good checkpoint placement and fair difficulty. I didn't feel lost and I felt guided to where I was supposed to be going. Even in the few spots where I had to figure out the next step, I didn't have to go far to get there, which prevented frustration.
Thanks for the feedback! It's really appreciated, I'm glad you had a good time!

--

Now, feedback time!

Weird. I totally agree with the 4 blocks jumps, but I made the level with an fast way to reset the P-Switch (getting in the pipe near the P-door in case you failed brings you close to the brand new P-Switch), so it kinds of bumps me out that you quit for this exact reason. Oh, well.
I replayed it because I'm like that: indeed, the orange pipes provide a shortcut, but intuitively, I went back from my own means and it felt convoluted. Now it seems obvious, but it's the sort of level that's confusing when you play it for the first time, and feels natural when you know what you're supposed to do.

Why didn't you make it so the orange pipe generates P-switches? That'd be even simpler.

I did win the level: I really liked the first part this time (I knew what to do), the descent as big Mario was mysterious and well presented, the collection of pink coins was exciting and fun. I liked it. The puzzle parts just need to be a bit clearer and smoother IMHO.

Devouring Dunefish Dodge
T1N-CVH-NVF
I didn't get into it the first time I played it some days ago, but this time I really enjoyed it. It reminds me of a similar (and hilarious) SMB3 levels which I liked very much, a shame we can't use the big fish in this style. Maybe I felt the level was too restrictive when I first played it, but I didn't notice any major flaw this time.

Boreal Hinterlands
ID: C09-G32-TGG
Good Mario fun! The three Goombas on top of each other after the first checkpoint are a bit unfair since you come from high above and can't see them, and you could maybe have done so you can survive after you get the 50 coin near the giant red Koopa even if you don't have the Propeller Suit (it's a bit cumbersome to grab), but it's a fun level! I even replayed it to get all coins!

Sonic 1 —> All 6 bosses + 3 big rings
P9F-7C7-D5G
A lot of time and care have obviously been put into this level, but IMHO it's way too busy and complicated for its own good. Through the whole level I was "uh" and "what", you feel crushed by the level design.

The new course code is 9WC-Q89-LDF.
Still not working. You re-changed it?

To Felman Mountain and Back
PYF-L5B-5KG
To me the level felt way too cramped to be really fun: you're mostly moving in closed spaces with a very low roof, and can barely move around without bumping your head or get hurt.

Places where being hurt is mandatory are problematic unless it's to remove a powerup in a puzzle level or something. What's the point of the Chomps guarding the key since you can't avoid them, and a powerup is right next to them?

Classic Castle: WV4-WC7-9KF
I'm a sucker for SMB1 castles, so I liked your level. The fire bars just before the row of bricks are in a combination that's quite difficult, I'm not sure I ever went through it without being hurt, but other than that it felt perfect.

Climate Change is REAL - Version 2
ID: Y53 Q8H C1H
There are parts that still can be fairer/clearer/smoother: the part with fireballs next to Bowser Jr. make you take a hit without you being able to see it coming (when you go up), and when Junior is free, it's basically impossible not to get hurt. I lost there, came back, noticed I had to activate the switch again, went again through the pipe, noticed I had to redo all the section, and quit.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I replayed it because I'm like that: indeed, the orange pipes provide a shortcut, but intuitively, I went back from my own means and it felt convoluted. Now it seems obvious, but it's the sort of level that's confusing when you play it for the first time, and feels natural when you know what you're supposed to do.

Why didn't you make it so the orange pipe generates P-switches? That'd be even simpler.

Thanks for trying once more!
Yeah, when you say it like that, it seems obvious to generate P-Switches from the Pipes...

But when building the level, as I knew where to go, it seemed easier to both go back at the start with the pipe and regerenate a P-Switch by doing so... But, OF COUSE, it's only easier when you know beforehand that the pipe brings you back at the start...

Thanks for this feedback, it will really be useful in my future levels.

There are parts that still can be fairer/clearer/smoother: the part with fireballs next to Bowser Jr. make you take a hit without you being able to see it coming (when you go up), and when Junior is free, it's basically impossible not to get hurt. I lost there, came back, noticed I had to activate the switch again, went again through the pipe, noticed I had to redo all the section, and quit.

I'm not sure if I understand correctly the final part of your message. I put the checkpoint at the red/blue switch in order to NOT have to redo the whole section. Did you try to go back to the switch without dying?

You're totally right about this bit being impossible to do without getting hurt though. Not when going up (it's really random and depends on where the fireballs are when you go up), but once Jr is free it's really hard to retrieve the key from his box without getting hurt (which I decided on leaving this way because I just gave a Big Mushroom to the player).

Thanks again for playing and all your feedbacks.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Random question:

Why, for Super Mario World, do you think Nintendo didn't use Luigi's sprite from Mario All-Stars? Why did they feel the need to make a new set of sprite for this game?

Seems like an odd choice, especially considering their other odd, lazy choices when it comes to sprite uses (e.g. reusing the SMB2 door for SMB3, reusing the Banzai Bill from SMW for SMB3, etc.).

Petohtalrayn

Nov 3, 2017
Places where being hurt is mandatory are problematic unless it's to remove a powerup in a puzzle level or something. What's the point of the Chomps guarding the key since you can't avoid them, and a powerup is right next to them?

Thanks for playing! Yeah, I know this level isn't the best regardless, but I originally was gonna remove that part until I realized you can take the chomps out by toggling the on-off switch quickly. Damage isn't mandatory there, just likely.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing this so much more than NSMBUD, and I think the reason is because SMBU kicks you out of levels and you have to reload in when you die (I think?).

With this if you die it automatically just puts you back in, which is a great feature. Makes you keep trying and keep trying until you nail it perfectly.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I didn't get into it the first time I played it some days ago, but this time I really enjoyed it. It reminds me of a similar (and hilarious) SMB3 levels which I liked very much, a shame we can't use the big fish in this style. Maybe I felt the level was too restrictive when I first played it, but I didn't notice any major flaw this time.

I was maybe a little worried about the difficulty curve; I think the first challenge with the vine and '!' block, though it's, as you note, pretty closely based on ideas from those SMB3 levels, could be the hardest one. That could be what bothered you?
I usually like to get a harder challenges nearer to the start and slightly ease up, a focus inspired by many speedruns of game levels that fail right near the end because of a screwup, and all the time I've lost to those runs.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I'm playing this so much more than NSMBUD, and I think the reason is because SMBU kicks you out of levels and you have to reload in when you die (I think?).

With this if you die it automatically just puts you back in, which is a great feature. Makes you keep trying and keep trying until you nail it perfectly.
They really should have updated that in the Switch port... alongside many other things, but I digress.

It's such a shame. NSMBU is such a great game on so many levels. The level design is truly master craft stuff, but fuck... the presentation is awful. The visuals are bland, but acceptable. The music... it's like they didn't even care.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
One of my first levels was Escape the Crane game. I had some ideas to improve it so I made a new one in the Mario World style. Please check it out I'd love feedback.

K5V-0J5-QHF

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
So got Mario Maker last week. Didn't really think I was going to make too much in it.... but I've wound up with two levels so far I'm happy(ish) with.

I didn't think I was making them that hard, but considering how many tries they have had compared to clears, I was surprised at so few people were completing them or failing to get to the checkpoints. I revised Cat-stle Climber today to be a bit more friendly and hand-holdy in some areas because of this. I posted them on my Twiter for some exposure, but they aren't getting that much looks since most of the people who follow me do so because of Destiny.

Anyway, I was looking for some criticism and feedback if anyone is interested. I'll have to try out some courses here because the endless challenges tend to run between way too easy to too frustrating with no in-between in my opinion.

I enjoyed both of these, they have a good sense of escalating and iterating on a main concept.
Considering the limitations on fence usage you set up some nice varied scenarios with the fireballs in Cat-stle Climber
And you definitely get the SMW homages with the other stage.

Gotta scramble for some actually useful critiques.
For the climbing stage, I thing maybe having an extra bell midway through the longer climb section would be handy for anyone who scrapes themselves just once (really it's a shame that the mario power ups can't lend themselves too well to necessary for the level design).
Vines and Grind could maybe just have the bonus room exit be set up as a one way path, though granted I'd probably have missed that the room existed if I hadn't gone in the back door first!

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys know if Nintendo frowns on putting URLs in the descriptions of levels?

I'm working on a series of levels that have some alternative objectives (pseudo achievements if you will) which won't fit into the description box, so I'm looking at ways for people to at least have a shot at seeing those.

Butane

Nov 2, 2017
For the climbing stage, I thing maybe having an extra bell midway through the longer climb section would be handy for anyone who scrapes themselves just once (really it's a shame that the mario power ups can't lend themselves too well to necessary for the level design).
I just kinda completely remade that section last night. I was playing around with an extra bell around there, but kinda struggled to find a good placement. I do wish there were a way to climb up the fences that didn't require any power ups (since I was kinda going off of Iggy's Castle in SMW).

Vines and Grind could maybe just have the bonus room exit be set up as a one way path, though granted I'd probably have missed that the room existed if I hadn't gone in the back door first!
Is there a way to do this? Or are you just referring to placing a horizontal pipe a space off the ground? Sorry, I'm new to this. Never even played the first Mario Maker, so I'm not sure what is and isn't possible yet.

Thanks for the reply and plays!

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Colour Crash Crisis!

FM2-VKC-YBG

My other levels Rainbow Rush Galaxy, Out of the Frying Pan and Reflected Dreams have all had a baby! This is a very short single-screen level, with a lot going on. It's difficult, but hopefully not excessively so. I'd be interested to see if anyone can shave much off my clear time!

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else irked that Mario's mechanics make crouching to avoid hazards completely negated by small Mario? stop ruining my machinations!
Is there a way to do this? Or are you just referring to placing a horizontal pipe a space off the ground? Sorry, I'm new to this. Never even played the first Mario Maker, so I'm not sure what is and isn't possible yet.

Thanks for the reply and plays!
You can either place the pipe below a semi solid platform (so you can jump out of there but not get down from above) or use the one way blocks (metallic square looking doodads with an arrow shape and panel on them)

I forgot you were new to the game, that makes the solid design even more impressive!

Lobster

Jul 23, 2019
Colour Crash Crisis!

FM2-VKC-YBG

My other levels Rainbow Rush Galaxy, Out of the Frying Pan and Reflected Dreams have all had a baby! This is a very short single-screen level, with a lot going on. It's difficult, but hopefully not excessively so. I'd be interested to see if anyone can shave much off my clear time!

Interesting way of doing a one-screen. when I do them I always do them on the same screen as the start and flagpole. This method allows for more things to fit on the screen!

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Interesting way of doing a one-screen. when I do them I always do them on the same screen as the start and flagpole. This method allows for more things to fit on the screen!
Yeah, that's how I did them in MM1, but not being able to build in the starting area makes that a lot more difficult now.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
This level was almost too difficult for me to upload (the part without checkpoints is the killer) but I'm guessing it's actually not too hard. I'm Lobster Bad at Mario, after all! Anybody want to give it a shot?

Edit: I did the bad Lobster thing I always do and deleted my level and reuploaded it, this time because there was a typo in the description. The new course code is 9WC-Q86-LDF.

The moral of the story is wait like 8-12 hours to play one of my levels unless you just want to beta test and give me feedback.

*Edit* I somehow put my text inside your quote...
The SMB night snow theme is so pretty! I like how by splitting the level into 3 fast moving sections, you managed to make a snake block level that's actually fun to play! I particularly like how it plays with your head with the track in the second section. If I was to change anything, I'd make the snake block in the first section a few blocks longer. With the extreme slipperyness, that's probably the hardest part, and you might put a few people off who think they're going to be in for a long horrible snake block level. Once you reach the first checkpoint it's clear that it's going to be a fair level, so the more people who get there the better!

Lobster

Jul 23, 2019
*Edit* I somehow put my text inside your quote...
The SMB night snow theme is so pretty! I like how by splitting the level into 3 fast moving sections, you managed to make a snake block level that's actually fun to play! I particularly like how it plays with your head with the track in the second section. If I was to change anything, I'd make the snake block in the first section a few blocks longer. With the extreme slipperyness, that's probably the hardest part, and you might put a few people off who think they're going to be in for a long horrible snake block level. Once you reach the first checkpoint it's clear that it's going to be a fair level, so the more people who get there the better!
Oooooooh, I soooooooo don't want to play with the uploader again. How necessary do you think doing that is? Like I said, it's the going through without checkpoints part that took me six hours the first time and it wasn't the first screen I was having trouble with.

Edit: Plus everyone's just going to speedrun it again and my like to play ratio is going to be even more wonky. I'm surprised Matilder hasn't hopped on that train yet actually.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Made my 3rd level, reasonably pleased with it. Features an angry sun which I don't often see getting used. Didn't actually know you could kill him with a koopa before making this.

Desert raid at sundown
5TT-WTC-3LF

Meanwhile I've completely reworked my problem child, 'All shell breaks loose'. It's a flawed level for sure, but hopefully someone will see what I've been going for! Despite adding tutorial screens only three people have got past the first screen...

All shell breaks loose
C6B-MDC-KVF

Trigger after jumping with a solid platform above his head will make Mario automatically throw bones shell. Press down and he'll collapse like dry bones and be invincible.

While I'm here would someone kindly play my son's levels. He wakes up every morning to check his levels and usually ends up disappointed. He's 10, but I'd say the quality is better than the majority of levels I've played on Endless. Thwomp is a donut is my favourite of his, but Escape from koopeville has a very cool ending!

Thwomp is a donut
1WT-4X2-48G

Escape from koopeville
JK6-P5F-M8G

I'll ensure he tries any of yours in return :)

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Oooooooh, I soooooooo don't want to play with the uploader again. How necessary do you think doing that is? Like I said, it's the going through without checkpoints part that took me six hours the first time and it wasn't the first screen I was having trouble with.

Edit: Plus everyone's just going to speedrun it again and my like to play ratio is going to be even more wonky. I'm surprised Matilder hasn't hopped on that train yet actually.
It's ok, I wouldn't worry about re-uploading it again, it was just something to think about.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to making a new level.

It's full of tricky jumps, enemies, and has a bit of a tight timer. I tried to make it difficult but fair.

From the pyramids to the clouds

HSS - XTO - 47G

Some of my other levels:

Slide n' Shoot
FK2 - KD9 - YHG

Slippery Peaks, Small Mario
08Y - 9M1 - CPG

Cliffhanger at Red Coin Ridge
RH5 - GWS - PRF

Thanks for having a look, any feedback is welcome :)