• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No video this time. It's getting late and I'm tired.

Devouring Dunefish Dodge
T1N-CVH-NVF

EBWCYBkUEAAizUP

Enjoyable level, but boy did I cock up the conveyor belt bit badly. Lack of familiarity with MM2 3D World physics meant I was jumping too early into the wall, then spent a dozen tries crouch jumping or spin jumping. You can imagine how that went on that conveyor belt! Eventually I figured out to jump earlier and it was plain sailing. I imagine the majority of your death X's are here. Neat concept though, and the fish created just the right level of panic.

Boreal Hinterlands

ID: C09-G32-TGG

Description: A traditional style level for everyone! Can you find the 3 big coins?
I tried to make a level that wouldn't be too out of place in an official 2D Mario game so I made a conscious effort to make it accessible to players of all skill levels while still presenting a challenge for players who may play the game in Multiplayer Versus. I hope you all enjoy!

You've achieved the difficulty you're going for. I tried finding the coins initially but decided to go for the finish after taking a hit. Clean, easy to read level, can see why it has widespread appeal.

I've clocked in approximately 50 hours while making this level.

I hope you enjoy! I'm concerned it's too difficult for the wider audience and I'm not sure how it will feel without the benefit of nostalgia from non-Sonic fans.

Nevertheless, here is:

Sonic 1 —> All 6 bosses + 3 big rings

P9F-7C7-D5G

EBX8v3tVAAAy9Mh

This had so much visual information but somehow I knew where to go - that's quite a skill. It's also very much like Sonic in that you forever feel like you're missing stuff! I really liked the boss fights, but don't remember defeating 6 of them. Difficulty is very well balanced, and I don't think you need to be a Sonic fan to appreciate the design of this level.

This level was almost too difficult for me to upload (the part without checkpoints is the killer) but I'm guessing it's actually not too hard. I'm Lobster Bad at Mario, after all! Anybody want to give it a shot?

Edit: I did the bad Lobster thing I always do and deleted my level and reuploaded it, this time because there was a typo in the description. The new course code is 9WC-Q86-LDF.

The moral of the story is wait like 8-12 hours to play one of my levels unless you just want to beta test and give me feedback.

You made the impossible happen, a snake block level I like! I loved the aesthetic here and the sound was appropriately hushed. The challenge was fair, and above all there was enough time to recover if you went wrong. I think the first life i lost was at the very end with the spinies. I ended up cheesing it by jumping on the ice blocks on top, was that your intention? Great level either way.

mhYPQu7.jpg

To Felman Mountain and Back
PYF-L5B-5KG

I am very satisfied with my 10th uploaded level. It's an adventure in which you have to climb an ancient Norse God's mountain, survive the ancient challenges that lie on the path, then as the sun goes down find your way home. Designing a world that would make sense front and back, day and night was a challenge, but I had a lot of fun building it and I am positive this is one of my best creations so far. Looking forward to your feedback. Good luck and have fun!

P.S.: The level is very varied and ambitious, but I wanted to use a picture that represented the concept, without revealing the twists and turns I invented along the way. I think there's a couple places that are quite unlike what you've seen before, but you'll be the judge.

I should've read the blurb beforehand because I didn't get a strong theme while playing, or the sense I was going up then down. That's probably on me, so I owe it to you to play it again. It was an entertaining and varied level nonetheless, so the journey idea definitely fits. Surprised this has a low completion rating, you were generous with power-ups and at no point did I feel particularly lost or confused.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally found a natural place to take a break from Fire Emblem and go through about twenty or thirty levels that had piled up on me, between my follow feed and the pile of codes I had collected on the side. I'm still not totally caught up on the thread, but I think the pace of content in the game has settled into something that I can reasonably handle without putting the rest of my life on hold, which is nice.

Not going to write about everything I played today, but I might go back through the last few pages and comment on a few specifics later.

Thanks so much, guys! Appreciate the positive feedback :)

Seems like this one isn't really taking off though. The first level I made, simpler and shorter, got into the popular levels fairly quickly and received a couple of thousand plays. But this one doesn't seem to be getting very many plays at all.

And one week later, when I finally get to this one, it's at over 18000 plays.

So well deserved, by the way. This is one of the most memorable levels I've played, and my count is up in the high hundreds. I particularly admired the narrative clarity, the subtle use of slopes to make the spiny routes flow well in tight spaces, and the terrific surprise of the release sequence following the scroll-stop break. Tremendous creation, and the time and care you put into it really shows.

Colour Crash Crisis!

FM2-VKC-YBG

My other levels Rainbow Rush Galaxy, Out of the Frying Pan and Reflected Dreams have all had a baby! This is a very short single-screen level, with a lot going on. It's difficult, but hopefully not excessively so. I'd be interested to see if anyone can shave much off my clear time!

You uploaded this while I was in the middle of my big catch-up session, so I saw it on my feed before I came in to look at the thread, and by then I had already posted pretty much the exact comment: it's a culmination of so much else you've done. As usual, your one-screen levels are very good about giving the player clearly visible rest stops to take their time and learn the patterns. The difficulty is right where it needs to be, and as with Reflected Dreams, matching the music to the colour-coding adds so much to the experience.

Oooooooh, I soooooooo don't want to play with the uploader again. How necessary do you think doing that is? Like I said, it's the going through without checkpoints part that took me six hours the first time and it wasn't the first screen I was having trouble with.

Edit: Plus everyone's just going to speedrun it again and my like to play ratio is going to be even more wonky. I'm surprised Matilder hasn't hopped on that train yet actually.

It's fine as it is; totally fine. I enjoyed this one a lot, and traversing it feels like a very unique experience in the hands. A lot of players will wipe out as soon as they notice that slippery snake blocks don't handle like anything else in the game, but I tend to think that with courses that lean slightly challenging, it's absolutely fair play for your very first screen to act as a sort of filter to see who's willing to stay.

Last edited:

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I really need to get my creative juices flowing again, there are so many great makers and courses on Era that I feel I can't keep up, not to mention I haven't really made a longer course in a while.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Made my 3rd level, reasonably pleased with it. Features an angry sun which I don't often see getting used. Didn't actually know you could kill him with a koopa before making this.

Desert raid at sundown
5TT-WTC-3LF

Meanwhile I've completely reworked my problem child, 'All shell breaks loose'. It's a flawed level for sure, but hopefully someone will see what I've been going for! Despite adding tutorial screens only three people have got past the first screen...

All shell breaks loose
C6B-MDC-KVF

Trigger after jumping with a solid platform above his head will make Mario automatically throw bones shell. Press down and he'll collapse like dry bones and be invincible.

While I'm here would someone kindly play my son's levels. He wakes up every morning to check his levels and usually ends up disappointed. He's 10, but I'd say the quality is better than the majority of levels I've played on Endless. Thwomp is a donut is my favourite of his, but Escape from koopeville has a very cool ending!

Thwomp is a donut
1WT-4X2-48G

Escape from koopeville
JK6-P5F-M8G

I'll ensure he tries any of yours in return :)

It took me a few tries but I got past the first screen of "all shell breaks loose". Because I'm dumb, the mechanic that tripped me up was jumping and smashing down on the trigger, duh. From there I kept going... and beat it! I enjoyed the level.

I also enjoyed Thwomp is a donut. Maybe I don't play a whole lot, but the core mechanic I thought was neat and the first I'd seen that too.

Lobster

Jul 23, 2019
You made the impossible happen, a snake block level I like! I loved the aesthetic here and the sound was appropriately hushed. The challenge was fair, and above all there was enough time to recover if you went wrong. I think the first life i lost was at the very end with the spinies. I ended up cheesing it by jumping on the ice blocks on top, was that your intention? Great level either way.
I'm glad you appreciated the aesthetic and sound! I spent a lot of time considering that. There were multiple points of inspiration including obviously Gokou's color levels and also a "don't land after jumping" level involving snake blocks created by someone else I know. The cheese was intentional; that jump at the end was how I uploaded it, actually. It's part of an optional speedrun route that exists in the first and third sections. But it's also possible to make it through the lower path, even without damage boosting. It just takes a precise jump. (I think I have to concede I might be the only one who can get the second mushroom at all, though, and even I can't get it consistantly.)

It's fine as it is; totally fine. I enjoyed this one a lot, and traversing it feels like a very unique experience in the hands. A lot of players will wipe out as soon as they notice that slippery snake blocks don't handle like anything else in the game, but I tend to think that with courses that lean slightly challenging, it's absolutely fair play for your very first screen to act as a sort of filter to see who's willing to stay.
Thanks! My courses are called unique fairly often; I think it's because I have difficulty with a lot of the mechanics of the game so I try to compensate around that. I'm glad you think it's reasonable to have a filter. I worry about boos though. If this one trends it's going to collect them like a kid collects Halloween candy. I'd rather like it to sit on the Expert page though. I'm getting used to a certain level of notoriety. ;)

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Alright, which lame YouTuber or Twitch streamer started the "meme" of saying "... gang" at every single thing. "Cloud gang", "jump high gang", etc. Why is this is supposed to be funny? This has overtaken the comments of every popular level.

Deleted member 21996

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It took me a few tries but I got past the first screen of "all shell breaks loose". Because I'm dumb, the mechanic that tripped me up was jumping and smashing down on the trigger, duh. From there I kept going... and beat it! I enjoyed the level.

I also enjoyed Thwomp is a donut. Maybe I don't play a whole lot, but the core mechanic I thought was neat and the first I'd seen that too.

Awesome, thanks for playing both. We went to play one of your levels but I see you have none uploaded?

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
I don't really mind the gang comments. People have fun communicating through this meme and therefor enjoy their time in your course.
I couldn't possible ask for more.

Simbabbad

Aug 1, 2019
New level, a fortress level without autoscroll and with a ground vehicle theme:

Dream Convoy K9L-H42-LRG

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BDream%2BConvoy.png

It's really not too hard and should be fun to speedrun. For people who may have played an earlier version: I smoothed out some parts that were apparently problematic.

I'm not sure if I understand correctly the final part of your message. I put the checkpoint at the red/blue switch in order to NOT have to redo the whole section. Did you try to go back to the switch without dying?
I activated the switch, went to Junior who was now free, died because of the fireballs/confusion, started again at the checkpoint, instinctively went straight to Junior again then saw I forgot to activate the switch, went back, and saw I couldn't go to the switch without redoing the whole section, and quit. I could have committed suicide to regenerate at the checkpoint, but I didn't think of it back then. You should probably make it so you can't go through the one way part without the switch being in the proper state.

I was maybe a little worried about the difficulty curve; I think the first challenge with the vine and '!' block, though it's, as you note, pretty closely based on ideas from those SMB3 levels, could be the hardest one. That could be what bothered you?
Yes, maybe it started with the impression that the level would be a bit punishing/cramped (which it wasn't). Your state of mind varies a lot when you play plenty of levels in a row.

--

First up is Vines and Grind. Started off as a Cheese Bridge inspired level from SMW and became something else.
Code: 7SN-HQ9-B1G
I liked it, difficulty is OK for me. Two little flaws IMHO: the red pipe near the checkpoint should be 1-way since it's the exit point from the bonus room (when you get there from the "normal" path, it's a bit confusing), and the red pipe with the plant just below a red mushroom platform feels trollish since you don't see the pipe/plant before it's too late.

Further refinement done to Cat-stle Climber. Made it a little easier and shorter.
RV1-1RF-X3G
The level is too slow IMHO because of how slow Mario is when he grabs something.

Polar Bear Plunge
173-43N-D5G
IMHO there should be a checkpoint after the first underwater part: it's quite slow and the next areas is very aggressive (Lakitus launching Hammer Bros. with Spinies everywhere), and you don't feel like redoing the slow part every time you die in the hard one.

Déjà Boo, Part 7 : À Boo de Nerfs
3LB CXB 62H
In general I'm "it's well made BUT" with your levels, but here, I LOVED it from start to finish. The visuals, the autoscroll + scrolling locked by the hard blocks, the tension with the Boos, the autoscroll changing direction, the "you think you're dead because you fell into emptiness but no you didn't", everything was perfect! If I had one tiny nitpick: after you turn the switch off, the autoscroll is a bit tight near the conveyor belts. Bravo!

One of my first levels was Escape the Crane game. I had some ideas to improve it so I made a new one in the Mario World style. Please check it out I'd love feedback.
K5V-0J5-QHF
The level is too much composed of series of claws in the air with no other elements, except Bumpers once in a while. Since it's easy to mess jumps with Bumpers, when you fall, you don't feel like redoing everything. You could maybe improve it by adding platforms and different obstacles, and providing feather powerups that'd allow you to grab something when you fall, and avoid redoing everything every time.

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Rogue Airport: A Cargo Sabotage
MJM-2Q7-37G
SMB3
Night Airship/Desert
Themed, Autoscroll

Expected difficulty: 5-20% clearance

EBnVoXPUwAAx2MJ

I tried to create a more traditional style level here, with the idea of Bowser building a rogue Airport in the desert and smuggling war weapons during a midnight, desert storm.

Find a way into the ship and sabotage the cargo.

Above all else, I tried to pay attention to detail with every little movement in this level and a mindset of fun, fluid movement.

Welcome to criticism.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I activated the switch, went to Junior who was now free, died because of the fireballs/confusion, started again at the checkpoint, instinctively went straight to Junior again then saw I forgot to activate the switch, went back, and saw I couldn't go to the switch without redoing the whole section, and quit. I could have committed suicide to regenerate at the checkpoint, but I didn't think of it back then. You should probably make it so you can't go through the one way part without the switch being in the proper state.

Yeah, you're right of course, it's a simple fix that would make it right easily.

In general I'm "it's well made BUT" with your levels, but here, I LOVED it from start to finish. The visuals, the autoscroll + scrolling locked by the hard blocks, the tension with the Boos, the autoscroll changing direction, the "you think you're dead because you fell into emptiness but no you didn't", everything was perfect!

Guys, guys!
I made it! I made a level free of criticism from Simbabbad !
I did it!

(I kid, I kid, I really appreciate your feedback.)

And you know what, guys?
This level is currently at 12 plays after more than one day, and it's kinda breaking my heart so I'm gonna plug it once more.

ID: 3LB CXB 62H
"Everything was perfect!" - Simbabbad

If I had one tiny nitpick: after you turn the switch off, the autoscroll is a bit tight near the conveyor belts. Bravo!

Goddammit, I was so close!

Butane

Nov 2, 2017
I liked it, difficulty is OK for me. Two little flaws IMHO: the red pipe near the checkpoint should be 1-way since it's the exit point from the bonus room (when you get there from the "normal" path, it's a bit confusing), and the red pipe with the plant just below a red mushroom platform feels trollish since you don't see the pipe/plant before it's too late.
Yeah, I'll probably go back and fix those areas this weekend. I'll chock it up to being my first level and not really knowing the in-and-outs of the editor. Didn't even realize that the mushroom platform was considered trollish when I made it. Only then did I realize it when I started to look at the failure points on the level.

The level is too slow IMHO because of how slow Mario is when he grabs something.
Yeah, I agree. The original version I posted here (now deleted) had a much longer vertical section and was less forgiving with bullet bills instead of the flying podoboos and basically insta-death when you messed up on anything. It was taking me 3 and a half minutes to beat. I'm debating leaving the current version up and trying one with a deleted vertical climb to see how it goes since so many people are not finishing the level.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm having fun trying to learn how to do this well.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
IMHO there should be a checkpoint after the first underwater part: it's quite slow and the next areas is very aggressive (Lakitus launching Hammer Bros. with Spinies everywhere), and you don't feel like redoing the slow part every time you die in the hard one.
That should have been my intention from the start, so I deleted and reuploaded:
Polar Bear Plunge
51P-52V-H5G
EBnnboxU0AEeqPn

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Got a new level up:

p5WSID5.png

Snow Bro A-Go-Go!
Course ID: 5TM-QX7-D9G
Difficulty: Hard Normal or Easy Expert (11% clear rate currently)
Multiplayer Friendly?: Yes

Many of you probably remember "Bouncy Cloud Boomerangs" from NSMBU. It featured bouncy clouds and boomerang bros as the main course elements. I wanted to make a spiritual sequel to that one using the mushroom trampolines and hammer/fire bros. This a super traditional left to right Mario level that's probably around special world difficulty. Nothing that should trip up experienced players but more casual folks tend to struggle with the bro enemies.

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019

Dream Convoy K9L-H42-LRG

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BDream%2BConvoy.png

It's really not too hard and should be fun to speedrun. For people who may have played an earlier version: I smoothed out some parts that were apparently problematic.

Great level, I particularly enjoyed the second half from the checkpoint. I had a very mild issue with the conveyer belt enemies and the mole room, but very nice aesthetics and enemy placement in general, I enjoyed it!

I also went through a few of your other levels, great stuff!

That should have been my intention from the start, so I deleted and reuploaded:
Polar Bear Plunge
51P-52V-H5G
EBnnboxU0AEeqPn

I was a little confused by the chaos in the middle section, but smooth level overall.

Got a new level up:

p5WSID5.png

Snow Bro A-Go-Go!

Many of you probably remember "Bouncy Cloud Boomerangs" from NSMBU. It featured bouncy clouds and boomerang bros as the main course elements. I wanted to make a spiritual sequel to that one using the mushroom trampolines and hammer/fire bros. This a super traditional left to right Mario level that's probably around special world difficulty. Nothing that should trip up experienced players but more casual folks tend to struggle with the bro enemies.

One of the better 3D World levels I've played. Thoughtful progression of challenges was clear. I rarely play 3D world style but it seems to work well with traditional Nintendo level design philosophies.

The icicle and bouncing section gave me some trouble, but that's most likely just my inexperience with 3D world's nuances. Perhaps I'd think about a pitless section that builds into a pitted section to teach the player, but I guess it depends on your audience etc as well!

I find it difficult to enjoy 3D world levels, so you've done well :p

Last edited:

Butane

Nov 2, 2017
Snow Bro A-Go-Go!
I enjoyed it. Only part that tripped me up was near the end where the fire bros shoot into the clear pipes. I was expecting the fireballs to go straight down out of the pipes, and not angle out a bit toward the direction they were looking. No issues with it, just caught me off guard once.

Also, I fixed and reuploaded my two levels if anyone is interested:

Nothing major on Vines and Grind. Basically just made the bonus room pipe a one way exit, removed the trollish element from the mushroom platform, and lowered a platform after the checkpoint because it felt claustrophobic for the jump you needed to make.

So trying out a new version of Cat-stle Climber. Basically removed the second portion of the level that was a vertical climb. Added in 3 pink coins to open the door from the first room to the final (Not crazy about this, but we'll see). Got (my) level completion time down to a minute and a half (from 2 and half minutes), so hopefully that helps with the completion rate.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018

Dream Convoy K9L-H42-LRG

Notify me, when you're done updating your old courses. :P

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
So I decided to make a challenging level. I actually wanted to make it longer and more evil, but I think people would have quit if I did that.

I had a hard time showing what to do exactly at Goomba section, but I'm sure you can figure it out

Keep The P

KHM-X7B-QDF

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
So I've uploaded 2 levels this week, and both are about as different as they can be!

Now normally I also leave feedback on other levels I played too, but I might have to do that tomorrow due to an insane week and a half I've had, so I haven't really played that many levels. Sorry about that! I'll try to cover more levels than usual to make up fopr this! Anyways, here's the two levels.

Cosmic Ballet!

Code: 7BY-9FD-RLF

So this level was actually inspired by that crazy week and a half. Long story short, a strange rash appeared on me, and it ended up being early stage lymes disease! Thankfully, it was caught early, so it doesn't seem like I'm going to get slammed by the long term side effects!

However, I did get slammed by the god damn antibiotics, and I had a weird fever dream. In this weird dream, Mario had to do an "orbital jump strike" on a rainbow air ship. After inflitrating it, the culptrit is none other than Jack Nicholson! Mario defeats him by cutting his head off with a broken wine bottle.

Obviously I don't include the Jack Nicholson part. What this level is about however, is low gravity air twirls in the New Super Mario Bros U style. I tried to tutoralize how you can basically float for a very long time by rhythemically pushing the trigger buttons while in the air... but the less than 2% clear rate suggests that I unfortunately didn't tutoralize this well enough. At the very least, this does attempt to be a straight foward level focused on the low gravity twirl concept, and there is an unfortunate gap between the 2 checkpoints I try to patch up by giving a ton of power-ups, but apologies if this level is a bit too tough!

At the very least, it was a lot of fun to make, since it was pretty simple to build, and using the rainbow semisolids was neat!

Game Boy 30th Anniversary Party!

Code: P3G-HDQ-FKF

So I had the idea of doing some sort of tribute to the Game Boy since Super Mario Maker 2 launch, but the level only came together recently! I decided that almost all the action takes place in a Game Boy screen that is actually damn near accurate tile-size to an actual Game Boy!

This level covers 3 North American Launch games: Super Mario Land, Alleyway, and Tetris, all games where Mario himself is playable in some form!

Here are some more details on how I reference them in spoiler tags. To be clear, I don't think this level does anything particularly new (search for Mario's Gameboy Emulator on youtube to see some similar concepts people did in Mario Maker 1 actually!), but I haven't quite seen it used in some direct tributes to early Gameboy games before at least!

So this is a remix of Super Mario Land 1-1, but with a twist: you're trapped in a giant scrolling Game Boy! So as far as I know, Super Mario Land actually uses 8x8 tiles unlike most Mario games, and thats basically what this level is based around: The Bullet Blaster Gameboy you're trapped in is actually accurate to the size of a gameboy screen in terms of Super Mario Land, but you, enemies, and blocks are oversized! This is sorta a parody on how some Gameboy games suffered from using NES sized sprites. In this case, you're oversized, playing a near actual size Super Mario Land 1-1!

There are a few modifications though: I raised the height of some blocks so it was harder to get crushed, I replaced the warp pipes with pipes that spit coins since it'd break the mechanism (however, the two bonus rooms are still hidden in the upper door), and I added a couple of Super Ball Flowers in parachutes so you can easily get back to Super Mario Land goodness!

This is pretty simple: you're just on the paddle, and have to destroy a bunch of pow blocks with the Superball to get a key. I apologize that this screen looks so busy, but theres a reason! I wanted to force the superball to bounce off the paddle for this to work like actual alleyway. I used the bumpers so its hard to jump to the pow blocks, while the lower bumpers, dry bones, and one way doors work together so balls get trapped below, but you don't!

Tetris is unmistakenbly the most important Game Boy launch game... so I felt like it should be the final boss of the level! Idea is, Bowser is playing Tetris, but instead of clearing lines like he should be, he's just trying to crush you with Tetris blocks! In this segment, the Game Boy scrolls upwards, and you'll have to avoid Tetris blocks! I do make a few of them different besides visuals, with some being made of note blocks, bricks, and the ? blocks that contain more Superball Flowers.

I orginally wanted to include line clearing somehow, but I unfortunately didn't figure out a good way, sorry about that!

So the Gameboy was a really important part of my life despite it coming out 3 years before I was born, and I felt like I needed to honor it somehow (in fact, I thank Gunpei Yokoi and Satoru Okada in coins if you look at the More Info tab!). I'm not gonna tell my life story here, but to make another long story short: I was nearly deaf for the first 4 years of my life, and I had an NES as a hand me down console, so in order to hear Super Mario Bros, my parents would have to crank up the TV really loud. However, when a cousin gave me an old brick Game Boy with headphones and 3 games, it was a god damn revelation to me: I could hear it sorta clearly! I was pretty enamored with it!

Those 3 games are actually the games this level references: Super Mario Land, Alleyway, and Tetris. I played them pretty obessively, with Super Mario Land actually being the first video game I ever completed. So I have a lot of nostalgia for these 3 games, and felt like I had to try to do them justice. I hope the level I made honoring them turned out well!

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Like NSMBU after NSMBWii, here's ideas that were once new in SMM1, reheated and slightly better than before

A46vvEy.jpg

Swinging snappers was always my own personal fave stage I made in SMM1, the world didn't quite share the same enthusiasm but oh well.
The autoscroll section is mostly copied wholesale, everything else is not the same game, it's not the same content!

So yeah, there are chomps, some are swinging! some are bounding!

WL9SBZC.jpg

And this one takes my old "Flight of the Thwomps" stage idea and, well it's basically a completely new stage that makes use of numerous new SMM2 tidbits....and checkpoints which didn't exist back in the long long ago.

Admittedly 3D World's thwomp mechanics kinda lessen the novelty of this now, no need for Goomba's shoe in that style!
I'm hoping the sub area section isn't too much of a muddle, not being able to determine a thwomps style of movement until you're on top of them might mess with some people but I like to think I kept this just dynamic enough.

Got a new level up:

p5WSID5.png

Snow Bro A-Go-Go!

I came across this one after uploading my stages so I've given it a completion, some of those fireballs did not interact with things like I expected.
That final section got me the first time, then I just speed blitzed it and felt like I robbed myself of the actual experience because it was a great little finishing section to put all the pieces together in a challenging fashion.

I will say I wasn't sure how the bonus room superstar was supposed to be well utilised, by the time I got to the next bro it was basically over...but I did have to go tag the checkpoint flag I must admit!

Simbabbad

Aug 1, 2019
(in answer to this level)

Great level, I particularly enjoyed the second half from the checkpoint. I had a very mild issue with the conveyer belt enemies and the mole room, but very nice aesthetics and enemy placement in general, I enjoyed it!
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Notify me, when you're done updating your old courses. :P
Haha, I sure will, I'm a perfectionist! There are one or two levels I still want to update, and then everything will be brand new!

--

Now, more feedback:

No, I'm just dyslexic. I put a 9 instead of a 6. Let me go edit that post. (9WC-Q86-LDF )
Despite the apparently lethal combination of blue snake blocks + slippery terrain, it's really fun (and looks great)!

Colour Crash Crisis!
FM2-VKC-YBG
I gave up at the last part, the one with the winged Podoboos, but I liked it!

Desert raid at sundown
5TT-WTC-3LF
I liked it and didn't notice any problem, fun level with a good flow. Funny thing: I remembered there was a coin goal at the end, went back in a panic, grabbed the coins I missed, then won with only a few seconds left. Good experience :-) !

From the pyramids to the clouds
HSS - XTO - 47G
It's a good level, but the constant sound effects are incredibly irritating. I almost quit.

MJM-2Q7-37G
Excellent level: beautiful, serves its theme well, pretty clear, good flow, fair... I lost once because I had trouble jumping on cannons after the last checkpoint (on the two red cannons and the big black one), but it was probably my fault. Well done!

This level is currently at 12 plays after more than one day, and it's kinda breaking my heart so I'm gonna plug it once more.

ID: 3LB CXB 62H

Yeah, play it guys, it's great!

Didn't even realize that the mushroom platform was considered trollish when I made it. Only then did I realize it when I started to look at the failure points on the level.
I understood your point of view afterward: to you, it was clear it was a side challenge - grab a big coin, but risk being hit by the plant. The player, though, in the action, only sees safe ground and doesn't see the pipe at all, so he/she feels cheated when the plant attacks.
I beat and liked the new version to help it have a good start.

Snow Bro A-Go-Go!
I'm not a fan of the core mechanic, the constant bouncing makes me feel like I don't control anything.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm finally ready to release the thing I've been working on for... well, four weeks or so.

ihS8Sk4.jpg
lz7VXCp.jpg

ntyNPMM.jpg
qRQLQec.jpg

Bowser's Bombling Plant: Part 1 and Part 2.

1: 9TV-J7P-FKF
2: CBL-SMD-QMG

A few of you will have playtested the first pass I did a while back, but one recurring suggestion was that it was long enough and the two halves were different enough that perhaps I ought to split it into two separate levels... so that's just what I've done. Although I then came up with a bunch more ideas, so each half is about as long as the original version was!

I found early on that there were a bunch of things in the 3D World theme that I thought had potential for a puzzle level, but because 3D World wasn't as popular as the other themes, I never really found a level that truly took advantage of it - so I thought I'd make my own. A series of mostly-single-screen puzzles, all based around a key theme of finding your way through the machinery of the Bombling Plant. Don't think of them quite in the context of a usual puzzle level, these aren't individually as intricate, but there's a lot of themes of figuring out how best to manipulate the objects involved; plus there's a few more actiony interludes where it introduces key concepts or where I've tried to convey the story parts.

Part 1 is fighting your way through the plant to shut down the production line.
Part 2 is entering the R&D labs in the plant to rescue the prisoner forced to produce Bowser's latest secret weapons

I'll freely admit that I think Part 1's a bit stronger - the core design conceit proved to have more interesting potential - but there's puzzles I'm very proud of in both of them, and I've learned an awful lot about some interesting physics features that I didn't know existed!

They're probably too long to be a huge hit, but hopefully they'll find an audience!

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
You uploaded this while I was in the middle of my big catch-up session, so I saw it on my feed before I came in to look at the thread, and by then I had already posted pretty much the exact comment: it's a culmination of so much else you've done. As usual, your one-screen levels are very good about giving the player clearly visible rest stops to take their time and learn the patterns. The difficulty is right where it needs to be, and as with Reflected Dreams, matching the music to the colour-coding adds so much to the experience.
Nice to have you back for a bit :) Thanks for the detailed feedback! Much as I expected, this has crashed hard in the popular chart, but it's ended up with around a 1/4 like rate which I think is pretty nice for a level with 2% clear rate.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Like NSMBU after NSMBWii, here's ideas that were once new in SMM1, reheated and slightly better than before

A46vvEy.jpg

Swinging snappers was always my own personal fave stage I made in SMM1, the world didn't quite share the same enthusiasm but oh well.
The autoscroll section is mostly copied wholesale, everything else is not the same game, it's not the same content!

WL9SBZC.jpg

And this one takes my old "Flight of the Thwomps" stage idea and, well it's basically a completely new stage that makes use of numerous new SMM2 tidbits....and checkpoints which didn't exist back in the long long ago.

Admittedly 3D World's thwomp mechanics kinda lessen the novelty of this now, no need for Goomba's shoe in that style!
I'm hoping the sub area section isn't too much of a muddle, not being able to determine a thwomps style of movement until you're on top of them might mess with some people but I like to think I kept this just dynamic enough.
I was feeling smug because I noticed I'd taken a slight lead over you in the maker chart, then I played these two, and I'm pretty sure you'll be taking that lead back! Just really well crafted, fun to play, and full of good ideas. That final loose chomp right at the end of the chomp level is a bit of a gotcha though!

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I was feeling smug because I noticed I'd taken a slight lead over you in the maker chart, then I played these two, and I'm pretty sure you'll be taking that lead back! Just really well crafted, fun to play, and full of good ideas. That final loose chomp right at the end of the chomp level is a bit of a gotcha though!
Ah I should've moved him further back so you'd reach the axe before, blast, it's always hard to tell with non chained chomps since it really depends on how fast the player is going.

It was an overtake well earned, I really dug the half fire and half ice stage gimmick you made with the music switching on each side which was such a strong touch.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
Magikoopa Magmacademy
RDG-9B9-L5G
EBpdVwVU0AAWbGf

The Magikoopas are practicing their magic - and they don't want visitors! Part snake block, part extremely hectic autoscroll, none of it easy and I stand by that. Just listen to the coins and you'll be all right. The coins know where to go.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm finally uploading my 2nd and 3rd levels, at the same time actually:

MI5EBrx.jpg

While my first level Fungal Fortress placed more of an emphasis on exploration, Skyway Shipyard is intended to have a more focused approach on difficult platforming. Many sections consist of a series of precision jumps utilizing cannonballs and Bullet Bills. I must emphasize that it is pretty difficult (but fair!) and I don't expect everyone to have the patience to complete it. There are 4 Pink Coins that are optional finds which unlock a bonus area if you are an into some minor exploring, and a mini-boss and final boss battle.

Difficulty: Expert
Tags: Standard, Themed
Description: Bowser's fleet has invaded the sacred Skyway. 4 Pink Coins unlocks secret!

Skyway Shipyard Gallery

T2fg6bp.jpg

With my third level, I really wanted to put basic yet precise platforming at the forefront while aiming to create something easier and shorter than what I usually end up with. I also felt like heavily utilizing the Wall Jump for most platforming sections, since that's the New Super Mario Bros. mechanic I enjoy the most and felt like mixing it up from my usual Mario World templates. I sprinkled in a couple of sections with the Propeller Hat powerup, and despite Psychedelic Swamp not being very difficult to complete, there are a couple of challenging sections and minor secrets to find. Overall, I think this one has much better flow and is "tighter" than my previous two.

Difficulty: Medium/Expert
Description: Don't let the fumes from this forsaken bog make you a permanent resident!

Psychedelic Swamp Gallery

TL;DR:
Skyway Shipyard: R0J-WRV-CTF
Psychedelic Swamp: WSM-TSJ-Q8G

Last edited:

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to give the player control of the swinging claw? My niece loves the claw arcade games where you try to pick up a cuddly toy and was wondering if there's anyway to recreate that in some vaguely similar way??

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish they would prevent people with absolute garbage connections from playing online MP. They are completely ruining the mode. "Sorry, but your connection is not good enough to play online, please try again later." Not unreasonable IMO.

Or at least put them in their own pool, where they can have sub 1 fps fun together.

Deleted member 21996

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I liked it and didn't notice any problem, fun level with a good flow. Funny thing: I remembered there was a coin goal at the end, went back in a panic, grabbed the coins I missed, then won with only a few seconds left. Good experience :-) !

Glad you enjoyed it, "flow" is something I always strive for so it's good to know it hits the mark.

Enjoyed your Dream convoy level, and really appreciated the concept with objects easily recognisable as parts of the carriages. First part was the most intricate and challenging and then it seemed to open out as the level went on. I skipped the second Bowser Jr as I met him just before the flagpole and it was too tempting to jump over.

My son was full of praise for your Stone, Fire, Spikes and magic level, blitzing through it in his first try. He went back for a WR but no joy. He also liked Wendy's Thwomp castle. Asked for some specific feedback he said "the Thwomps had good timing". Hope that helps!

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So after playing this, playing some pre-made levels, playing other courses, and making a few of my own, I went back to NSMBUD and I'm enjoying it a lot more now. Damn. I think playing MM2 made me fall in love with 2D Mario games again. What a great game.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
This level was almost too difficult for me to upload (the part without checkpoints is the killer) but I'm guessing it's actually not too hard. I'm Lobster Bad at Mario, after all! Anybody want to give it a shot?

Edit: I did the bad Lobster thing I always do and deleted my level and reuploaded it, this time because there was a typo in the description. The new course code is 9WC-Q86-LDF.

The moral of the story is wait like 8-12 hours to play one of my levels unless you just want to beta test and give me feedback.

Cool course! Also a lot of speedrun potential. As said before by someone, the snake block and ice physics are a deadly combination (same as underwater and night) and I could see a lot of casual players struggle with this. Fortunately it's rather short and the checkpoints are placed fairly. Great work!

Weird. I totally agree with the 4 blocks jumps, but I made the level with an fast way to reset the P-Switch (getting in the pipe near the P-door in case you failed brings you close to the brand new P-Switch), so it kinds of bumps me out that you quit for this exact reason. Oh, well.

I'm really late to the party, but God, this level was amazing.
I loved, LOVED the way you used custom scroll to transform the level.

If I had one tiny criticism, it's that the level is maybe a tiny little bit too long. Otherwise, it's simply perfect.

Thank you! And you are absolutely right.
Played couple of your courses today. The space ones. You seem to be in love with the beetle helmet and bill blaster shooting them, haha.
Fun puzzles tho. Will play the rest of them eventually.

Colour Crash Crisis!

FM2-VKC-YBG

My other levels Rainbow Rush Galaxy, Out of the Frying Pan and Reflected Dreams have all had a baby! This is a very short single-screen level, with a lot going on. It's difficult, but hopefully not excessively so. I'd be interested to see if anyone can shave much off my clear time!

Haha, it looks like you found yourself a style. Colorblind people hate your courses!
I think the difficulty was just right, don't know the clear rate, but it was extremely fair and a solid challenge. I noticed the small detail of keeping the colors in the same order the whole course. From the beginning, to the single-screen room per se and the ending pipes. Nicely done!

MJM-2Q7-37G
SMB3
Night Airship/Desert
Themed, Autoscroll

Expected difficulty: 5-20% clearance

EBnVoXPUwAAx2MJ

I tried to create a more traditional style level here, with the idea of Bowser building a rogue Airport in the desert and smuggling war weapons during a midnight, desert storm.

Find a way into the ship and sabotage the cargo.

Above all else, I tried to pay attention to detail with every little movement in this level and a mindset of fun, fluid movement.

Welcome to criticism.

Very cool stage. Plattforming was top notch and sabotaging the cargo was a fun little sidequest. Unlocking the rockets at the beginning and the design of the rockets per se was astonishing. Chapeau! Even tho it was a autoscroller stage, there was no place for boredom. Action all the way. Great work!

So I've uploaded 2 levels this week, and both are about as different as they can be!

Now normally I also leave feedback on other levels I played too, but I might have to do that tomorrow due to an insane week and a half I've had, so I haven't really played that many levels. Sorry about that! I'll try to cover more levels than usual to make up fopr this! Anyways, here's the two levels.

Cosmic Ballet!

So this level was actually inspired by that crazy week and a half. Long story short, a strange rash appeared on me, and it ended up being early stage lymes disease! Thankfully, it was caught early, so it doesn't seem like I'm going to get slammed by the long term side effects!

However, I did get slammed by the god damn antibiotics, and I had a weird fever dream. In this weird dream, Mario had to do an "orbital jump strike" on a rainbow air ship. After inflitrating it, the culptrit is none other than Jack Nicholson! Mario defeats him by cutting his head off with a broken wine bottle.

Obviously I don't include the Jack Nicholson part. What this level is about however, is low gravity air twirls in the New Super Mario Bros U style. I tried to tutoralize how you can basically float for a very long time by rhythemically pushing the trigger buttons while in the air... but the less than 2% clear rate suggests that I unfortunately didn't tutoralize this well enough. At the very least, this does attempt to be a straight foward level focused on the low gravity twirl concept, and there is an unfortunate gap between the 2 checkpoints I try to patch up by giving a ton of power-ups, but apologies if this level is a bit too tough!

At the very least, it was a lot of fun to make, since it was pretty simple to build, and using the rainbow semisolids was neat!

Game Boy 30th Anniversary Party!

Code: P3G-HDQ-FKF

So I had the idea of doing some sort of tribute to the Game Boy since Super Mario Maker 2 launch, but the level only came together recently! I decided that almost all the action takes place in a Game Boy screen that is actually damn near accurate tile-size to an actual Game Boy!

This level covers 3 North American Launch games: Super Mario Land, Alleyway, and Tetris, all games where Mario himself is playable in some form!

Here are some more details on how I reference them in spoiler tags. To be clear, I don't think this level does anything particularly new (search for Mario's Gameboy Emulator on youtube to see some similar concepts people did in Mario Maker 1 actually!), but I haven't quite seen it used in some direct tributes to early Gameboy games before at least!

So this is a remix of Super Mario Land 1-1, but with a twist: you're trapped in a giant scrolling Game Boy! So as far as I know, Super Mario Land actually uses 8x8 tiles unlike most Mario games, and thats basically what this level is based around: The Bullet Blaster Gameboy you're trapped in is actually accurate to the size of a gameboy screen in terms of Super Mario Land, but you, enemies, and blocks are oversized! This is sorta a parody on how some Gameboy games suffered from using NES sized sprites. In this case, you're oversized, playing a near actual size Super Mario Land 1-1!

There are a few modifications though: I raised the height of some blocks so it was harder to get crushed, I replaced the warp pipes with pipes that spit coins since it'd break the mechanism (however, the two bonus rooms are still hidden in the upper door), and I added a couple of Super Ball Flowers in parachutes so you can easily get back to Super Mario Land goodness!

This is pretty simple: you're just on the paddle, and have to destroy a bunch of pow blocks with the Superball to get a key. I apologize that this screen looks so busy, but theres a reason! I wanted to force the superball to bounce off the paddle for this to work like actual alleyway. I used the bumpers so its hard to jump to the pow blocks, while the lower bumpers, dry bones, and one way doors work together so balls get trapped below, but you don't!

Tetris is unmistakenbly the most important Game Boy launch game... so I felt like it should be the final boss of the level! Idea is, Bowser is playing Tetris, but instead of clearing lines like he should be, he's just trying to crush you with Tetris blocks! In this segment, the Game Boy scrolls upwards, and you'll have to avoid Tetris blocks! I do make a few of them different besides visuals, with some being made of note blocks, bricks, and the ? blocks that contain more Superball Flowers.

I orginally wanted to include line clearing somehow, but I unfortunately didn't figure out a good way, sorry about that!

So the Gameboy was a really important part of my life despite it coming out 3 years before I was born, and I felt like I needed to honor it somehow (in fact, I thank Gunpei Yokoi and Satoru Okada in coins if you look at the More Info tab!). I'm not gonna tell my life story here, but to make another long story short: I was nearly deaf for the first 4 years of my life, and I had an NES as a hand me down console, so in order to hear Super Mario Bros, my parents would have to crank up the TV really loud. However, when a cousin gave me an old brick Game Boy with headphones and 3 games, it was a god damn revelation to me: I could hear it sorta clearly! I was pretty enamored with it!

Those 3 games are actually the games this level references: Super Mario Land, Alleyway, and Tetris. I played them pretty obessively, with Super Mario Land actually being the first video game I ever completed. So I have a lot of nostalgia for these 3 games, and felt like I had to try to do them justice. I hope the level I made honoring them turned out well!

Man, you make some hard courses, haha. Cosmic Ballet! has a very cool gimmick. Once I saw your twitter posts about the course I knew this was going to be a difficult Expert - Super Expert course, because the casual crew will fail many times. And I have to admit I still have to beat it. The final boss was kicking my ass. But don't you worry, I'll come back to it eventually! Still, a cool idea.

Your Gameboy course, however, was really awesome. It's true I saw that idea a couple of times in Mario Maker 1. Nethertheless, the execution was remarkable and my most favourite part was probably the Tetris game. Very fun!

A46vvEy.jpg

WL9SBZC.jpg

As always flawless traditional courses by the great Nocturnowl. You have the unique ability to create courses everyone and their mother like. The casuals, the hardcores, the speedrunners and the gang meme crew. Always having a blast playing your courses. Keep up the good work!

I'm finally uploading my 2nd and 3rd levels, at the same time actually:

MI5EBrx.jpg

While my first level Fungal Fortress placed more of an emphasis on exploration, Skyway Shipyard is intended to have a more focused approach on difficult platforming. Many sections consist of a series of precision jumps utilizing cannonballs and Bullet Bills. I must emphasize that it is pretty difficult (but fair!) and I don't expect everyone to have the patience to complete it. There are 4 Pink Coins that are optional finds which unlock a bonus area if you are an into some minor exploring, and a mini-boss and final boss battle.

Difficulty: Expert
Description: Bowser's fleet has invaded the sacred Skyway. 4 Pink Coins unlocks secret!

Skyway Shipyard Gallery

T2fg6bp.jpg

With my third level, I really wanted to put basic yet precise platforming at the forefront while aiming to create something easier and shorter than what I usually end up with. I also felt like heavily utilizing the Wall Jump for most platforming sections, since that's the New Super Mario Bros. mechanic I enjoy the most and felt like mixing it up from my usual Mario World templates. I sprinkled in a couple of sections with the Propeller Hat powerup, and despite Psychedelic Swamp not being very difficult to complete, there are a couple of challenging sections and minor secrets to find. Overall, I think this one has much better flow and is "tighter" than my previous two.

Description: Don't let the fumes from this forsaken bog make you a permanent resident!

Psychedelic Swamp Gallery

Played Psychedelic Swamp and Fungal Fortress. Didn't know you before but after playing those you are definitely on my watch-list. Fungal Fortress looked very complex at the beginning. There seemed to be a lot of possible routes and sidequest content. Very cool to explore. Sometimes I wasn't sure I was going the right way, haha, but it all worked out in the end. Psychedelic Swamp is way more difficult but fair overall. Although some of the sound effects are kinda obnoxious. Still, great courses!

My son was full of praise for your Stone, Fire, Spikes and magic level, blitzing through it in his first try. He went back for a WR but no joy.

Sorry! :C

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No new course for now. But feel free to browse around.

Chill ice-themed course with few enemies and a lot of vertically.
The main gimmick is shown in the short video. Three secret coins to find!

My very first course. Was still learning the ropes back then. Very traditional.
There are two hidden bonus rooms with two secret coins somewhere!

Inspired by the Donkey Kong Country 3 forest course.
Only one bonus room. And the part after the second checkpoint is janky as fuck.
But it's only ten seconds, so you'll be fine!

Last edited:

Chrixter

Oct 29, 2017
Hey all, I uploaded my first level!

Cloudswitch Castle
FMX-77N-2VF

It's designed around activating switches while riding and switching between Lakitu's Clouds. Features a fast vertical lava chase and a boss fight against Cloudser Jr.™.

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
This feedback took longer than expected after a trip to the bomb factory and a lesson in low gravity ballet.

Magikoopa Magmacademy
RDG-9B9-L5G
EBpdVwVU0AAWbGf

The Magikoopas are practicing their magic - and they don't want visitors! Part snake block, part extremely hectic autoscroll, none of it easy and I stand by that. Just listen to the coins and you'll be all right. The coins know where to go.
Elements like Magikoopa can be a gamble due to their RNG tendencies but fortunately this stage went down smoothly, I think you allowed the right amount of space to move around their projectiles while being able to keep in mind the other hazards.

Cosmic Ballet!

K8nZAFI.gif

Today I found out just how far the spin move can be stretched in low gravity, I wasn't expecting Mario do basically move at an almost horizontal axis.
This is quite a long one for an obstacle course that seemed to throw in every possible use of the concept that must've came to mind, this does stagger the checkpoints as you pointed out, perhaps Jr could've been dropped.
Probably too challenging for most so the clear rate will likely stay low, all that said I'm impressed at the sheere mileage you got out of the one concept, wringing it for all it's worth and something I'd yet to see to boot.
And all spawning from a fever dream, wonderful (I had a Mario Maker dream the other week, except it involved the non existent Yoshi's Island theme, I woke up very disappointed)

I earned that final superstar sprint and boy does twirling Mario look hilarious with the superstar, he's just ball rolling through the skies like a slow-mo Blanka.

Well, I'm finally ready to release the thing I've been working on for... well, four weeks or so.

ihS8Sk4.jpg
lz7VXCp.jpg

ntyNPMM.jpg
qRQLQec.jpg

Bowser's Bombling Plant: Part 1 and Part 2.

1: 9TV-J7P-FKF
2: CBL-SMD-QMG

A few of you will have playtested the first pass I did a while back, but one recurring suggestion was that it was long enough and the two halves were different enough that perhaps I ought to split it into two separate levels... so that's just what I've done. Although I then came up with a bunch more ideas, so each half is about as long as the original version was!

I found early on that there were a bunch of things in the 3D World theme that I thought had potential for a puzzle level, but because 3D World wasn't as popular as the other themes, I never really found a level that truly took advantage of it - so I thought I'd make my own. A series of mostly-single-screen puzzles, all based around a key theme of finding your way through the machinery of the Bombling Plant. Don't think of them quite in the context of a usual puzzle level, these aren't individually as intricate, but there's a lot of themes of figuring out how best to manipulate the objects involved; plus there's a few more actiony interludes where it introduces key concepts or where I've tried to convey the story parts.

Part 1 is fighting your way through the plant to shut down the production line.
Part 2 is entering the R&D labs in the plant to rescue the prisoner forced to produce Bowser's latest secret weapons

I'll freely admit that I think Part 1's a bit stronger - the core design conceit proved to have more interesting potential - but there's puzzles I'm very proud of in both of them, and I've learned an awful lot about some interesting physics features that I didn't know existed!

They're probably too long to be a huge hit, but hopefully they'll find an audience!
I took the world record, knocking 10 minutes off the 30 plus to a cool 21 or so, yep, the time to beat is still that long!
Safe to say the timer system rears its head again here because experimentation and discovery is the name of the game here. I can't imagine how long it took to get all these pieces working correctly, especially in the limited 3D World theme.
I appreciate the craftsmanship on display here, it's a shame that there's no way to speed up certain things like ! block resets.

I'll have to tackle the sequel stage at some point.
T2fg6bp.jpg

I always appreciate trying to tie propeller suits into level design because it's on oddball that can be too stage breaking in a standard stage and a bit limited if the focus (I've tried so much across both SMM outings!).
Difficulty curve is fine to me but then again I like my wall jumps.

As always flawless traditional courses by the great Nocturnowl. You have the unique ability to create courses everyone and their mother like. The casuals, the hardcores, the speedrunners and the gang meme crew. Always having a blast playing your courses. Keep up the good work!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No new course for now. But feel free to browse around.
Thank you, this is probably the wheelhouse of stage design I'll be occupying from here on.

I went back to tackle Blazing Breakthrough, there was this wonderful moment when in the clown car where it suddenly dawned on me "wait, Matilder's done it again! I'm going back through an old section of stage in a new way!"
Gets me every time.

I have to imagine doing the visual touches in this one took a lot of time, one day I'll tackle the SMB1 desert theme myself but stages like yours and others here in that theme already set such a high bar on that front.

Lobster

Jul 23, 2019
Cool course! Also a lot of speedrun potential. As said before by someone, the snake block and ice physics are a deadly combination (same as underwater and night) and I could see a lot of casual players struggle with this. Fortunately it's rather short and the checkpoints are placed fairly. Great work!
Thank you! It's one of my favorites I've made! But I worry that people won't appreciate the combin--
"Snake Block Blues " by Lobster is MakerEra's latest Course of the Week winner!

f4hWzID.png

You can submit a course for the next Course of the Week contest until Friday, August 16th at 6 p.m. ET.
Head to the #cotw-submissions channel on our Discord server to submit your course.

Only courses that have been uploaded after 6 p.m. ET on Friday, August 9th will be accepted!

--holy crap! Really?!

This freaking makes my week. <3

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I took the world record, knocking 10 minutes off the 30 plus to a cool 21 or so, yep, the time to beat is still that long!
Safe to say the timer system rears its head again here because experimentation and discovery is the name of the game here. I can't imagine how long it took to get all these pieces working correctly, especially in the limited 3D World theme.
I appreciate the craftsmanship on display here, it's a shame that there's no way to speed up certain things like ! block resets.

I'll have to tackle the sequel stage at some point.

I think people might be sleeping on ! blocks a bit, they've got some fantastic utility - but yeah, the reset time is a huge issue. There's a room in the second part which I'd love to see someone take the core idea from and adapt it to a larger puzzle - how much I could do was limited due to the screen height.

(Speaking of which, I mentioned earlier in the thread when talking about the prototype version, but one of the biggest restrictions of 3D World for me wasn't the lack of tools, it's the size of everything. I'd love to see single-block-size ! blocks and clear pipes, although the latter would look a bit weird!

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Hey all, I'm back with another course. This time I used a theme I hadn't tried before in the SMB3 winter theme. I love ice themes but have been holding back in doing an endless dump of them. For this level I incorporated some scroll stop and on off block stuff to create what I think is a cool little level. Would love if yall tried it and gave me feedback. I present yall with:

Course Name: A Cool Stroll Back
Course ID: 5YP-V42-08G

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
New level!

Goomba Oasis

WG6 KSH 67G

Another classically designed level; utilizes floating clouds which you must fault across while avoiding various obstacles. Feedback would be appreciated!