• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
I think everyone's got at least one really terrible idea in them and they ought to get it out to make room for the good ones. Here's one of my worst:
It Is I Who Notes To That
7L1-9PG-6HF
EBvPxKaW4AAmXOZ

Yeah, it's awful. But if I didn't get it out, I'd have been up all night thinking about it.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe I made 7 of those...

EBhA-_qU8AEaRPe

Déjà Boo, Part 7 : À Boo de Nerfs
3LB CXB 62H

And now... for something completely different!
This level is, indeed, quite different from the previous entries, which pleases me very much.

There is no puzzle here, no maze either, it's the first pure-platforming entry in the series. The main twist is still there of course, but I think I managed to keep it fresh with some new trickery. Hopefully it works and you have fun playing it.

This was actually really fun. Such a cool use of scroll lock and custom stroll. Definitely recommend people play this.

Finally got around to making a new level.

It's full of tricky jumps, enemies, and has a bit of a tight timer. I tried to make it difficult but fair.

From the pyramids to the clouds

HSS - XTO - 47G

I agree with Sim. The actual level here is solid. The use of sound effects is hugely detrimental to this level though. They just become nothing but annoying. If you used 1/10 of the sound effects this would be a much better level.

Colour Crash Crisis!

FM2-VKC-YBG

My other levels Rainbow Rush Galaxy, Out of the Frying Pan and Reflected Dreams have all had a baby! This is a very short single-screen level, with a lot going on. It's difficult, but hopefully not excessively so. I'd be interested to see if anyone can shave much off my clear time!

Really cool level. I enjoyed it. I don't know why it's only 2.5% clear rate. It's not hard imo

Core Zero

Oct 25, 2017
Got a new level up:

Snow Bro A-Go-Go!
Course ID: 5TM-QX7-D9G
Difficulty: Hard Normal or Easy Expert (11% clear rate currently)
Multiplayer Friendly?: Yes

Many of you probably remember "Bouncy Cloud Boomerangs" from NSMBU. It featured bouncy clouds and boomerang bros as the main course elements. I wanted to make a spiritual sequel to that one using the mushroom trampolines and hammer/fire bros. This a super traditional left to right Mario level that's probably around special world difficulty. Nothing that should trip up experienced players but more casual folks tend to struggle with the bro enemies.

Really solid level, and has good traditional style difficulty for a Mario game. It's also well layed out for speedrunning. I grabbed the WR but I think there's room to shave off. Not much for me to say. It's the sort of level where going fast almost makes it easier because you don't give time for the Bros to clutter things up.

Well, I'm finally ready to release the thing I've been working on for... well, four weeks or so.

Bowser's Bombling Plant: Part 1 and Part 2.

1: 9TV-J7P-FKF
2: CBL-SMD-QMG

[...]

Part 1 is fighting your way through the plant to shut down the production line.
Part 2 is entering the R&D labs in the plant to rescue the prisoner forced to produce Bowser's latest secret weapons

I'll freely admit that I think Part 1's a bit stronger - the core design conceit proved to have more interesting potential - but there's puzzles I'm very proud of in both of them, and I've learned an awful lot about some interesting physics features that I didn't know existed!

They're probably too long to be a huge hit, but hopefully they'll find an audience!

I played a good bit of Part 1, and while I really like the concept and design of the puzzles, it's just so long. I ended up giving up after dying on the 2nd section after the 2nd checkpoint. Having to redo that 1st section again was just too much. There's a comment someone left on your stage to cut this to the best few sections and I'm inclined to agree. Having an unlimited timer would help but there's also enough of a death risk to be annoying. I wish the option to use the editor for downloaded levels was still in, because I'd finish your level doing that. As is I just lost patience.

I quickly tried Part 2, but I think it's too late at night for me to do these levels. Great concepts though!

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Played couple of your courses today. The space ones. You seem to be in love with the beetle helmet and bill blaster shooting them, haha.
Fun puzzles tho.

Oh, the Space ones are 100% shell games. They only exist for two reasons: the SMB3 space theme is gorgeous, and I wanted to see how many different puzzles I could make with shells. Part 3 is only shells interactions with Thwomps, and Part 4 is shell surfing.

Glad you played the revised versions I reuploaded this week-end, the first ones were waaaay too confusing (the old Parts 2 and 3 are now split in three courses and I still have leftovers...).

Will play the rest of them eventually.

Thank you, I can't wait for you to play the one inspired by one of your courses.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
This was actually really fun. Such a cool use of scroll lock and custom stroll. Definitely recommend people play this.

Thank you for playing!
That's now two creators from this thread recommending it, which is worth, like, 20 regular creators. :)

I'm now at 30 plays and 19 likes, and still trying to make it more popular.
I followed the 10 steps to getting rich making a level trend, from the previous page without much success. I did get a few plays from Reddit but not enough I guess.

I even made a fancy graphic!

EBwWX5sX4AIghHq

Let's say that trying to make popular levels is a different, more frustrating, way to play Mario Maker.
I used to be happy to watch Naar get mad at my levels on stream and now I want to be popular. This game corrupted me!

But I'm currently working on a silly Mole level for my own selfish pleasure, which means this game is still amazing and I'm still pure at heart.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I played a good bit of Part 1, and while I really like the concept and design of the puzzles, it's just so long. I ended up giving up after dying on the 2nd section after the 2nd checkpoint. Having to redo that 1st section again was just too much. There's a comment someone left on your stage to cut this to the best few sections and I'm inclined to agree. Having an unlimited timer would help but there's also enough of a death risk to be annoying. I wish the option to use the editor for downloaded levels was still in, because I'd finish your level doing that. As is I just lost patience.

As it happens, there was once a checkpoint in that room you died in... but I worried there was too little real substance between that checkpoint and the end, so I moved it back one room!

There's three sections after that checkpoint, now; a finale intricate puzzle, a 'boss encounter' (while still being puzzle-based, but clearly being against an 'antagonist', of sorts), and then some narrative context with a very light puzzle.

Wonder if maybe the boss encounter would be better paced before the finale puzzle, but on the other hand, that feels wrong for the narrative pacing.

Last edited:

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Very cool stage. Plattforming was top notch and sabotaging the cargo was a fun little sidequest. Unlocking the rockets at the beginning and the design of the rockets per se was astonishing. Chapeau! Even tho it was a autoscroller stage, there was no place for boredom. Action all the way. Great work!

Thanks! Coming from you, I appreciate the kind words!

The main challenge for me in this level surrounded how to offer a challenge or reward in each section while attempting to eliminate all potential for unfair deaths that could be blamed on the level, which is my pet peeve when playing others' :p

Originally, I had a number of unfair deaths built into the level, then I reuploaded following feedback from people on here and elsewhere. I never played SMM1, so I tend to make a few beginner mistakes in the first rendition of most of my levels, that's why it's so helpful seeing feedback on here!

Simbabbad

Aug 1, 2019
New level, a classic castle level with a twist:

Escape from Another Castle HQ9-W44-TRF

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BEscape%2Bfrom%2BAnother%2BCastle.png

The level is best played with Toad: the idea is you've been kidnapped by Bowser, but you don't want to wait to be rescued by Mario, and you escape by your own means. The level is very accessible and humorous, focusing on indirect death for Bowser's minions. It can be played by children playing slowly and methodically, but the level design is also very compatible with a speedrun approach. For people who may have played an earlier version: there are now 1-UP rewards, and mostly, the level has been changed to be even more speedrun-friendly.

--

Keep The P
KHM-X7B-QDF
I admit I didn't get it. After we get the leaf, we're supposed to go back to the beginning, then fly again?

Cosmic Ballet!
Code: 7BY-9FD-RLF

Game Boy 30th Anniversary Party!
Code: P3G-HDQ-FKF
I couldn't get past the very first part of Cosmic Ballet despite spinning all I could.

The Game Boy level is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. Not only the concept, but how well you made it work and play well and be fun despite all the constraints. Superb.

A very difficult level that I made in fifteen minutes. There are two exits!
I didn't get it. We're supposed to kill the Thwomp with the switch (?), but after that, the bombs are difficult to use without dying, and I don't see how useful they could be.

Swinging snappers was always my own personal fave stage I made in SMM1, the world didn't quite share the same enthusiasm but oh well.
The autoscroll section is mostly copied wholesale, everything else is not the same game, it's not the same content!

So yeah, there are chomps, some are swinging! some are bounding!

And this one takes my old "Flight of the Thwomps" stage idea and, well it's basically a completely new stage that makes use of numerous new SMM2 tidbits....and checkpoints which didn't exist back in the long long ago.
I absolutely LOVED Swinging Snappers, it's fun and exciting and surprising and fair during the whole level!

A Flock of Thwomps is also very fun. If I'm not mistaken, it doesn't feature checkpoints, but the level is very clear and fair the whole way, so it adds a nice little tension.

--

EDIT: more feedback:

I find the level a bit confusing:

- At the very beginning, why a yellow pipe to generate the bombs? That obliges you to turn on two bombs in a row, or the unlighted bomb pushes the lightened one. Is it on purpose?
- Then, I don't understand the use of the trampoline.
- At the part where you lift the bomb with the ! block: why choose to have two bomb explosions needed instead of just one?
- The next section, the one with the many clear pipes before we see the first checkpoint, is VERY confusing. I eventually went past it, but you should remove the unnecessary elements IMHO, because it's unclear, and every mistake means you have a lot to do for another attempt.

Magikoopa Magmacademy
RDG-9B9-L5G
I loved the first part, but the second part is extremely chaotic with "uh, what?!" deaths, and you have to redo the first part at every attempt.

Skyway Shipyard is intended to have a more focused approach on difficult platforming.
Near the beginning, just after the first pipe, you intuitively jump on the Bullet Bills to cross the gap, and are suddenly attacked by four diagonal cannonballs that are impossible to avoid if you don't know exactly what to expect and what to do.

Enjoyed your Dream convoy level, and really appreciated the concept with objects easily recognisable as parts of the carriages. First part was the most intricate and challenging and then it seemed to open out as the level went on. I skipped the second Bowser Jr as I met him just before the flagpole and it was too tempting to jump over.

My son was full of praise for your Stone, Fire, Spikes and magic level, blitzing through it in his first try. He went back for a WR but no joy. He also liked Wendy's Thwomp castle. Asked for some specific feedback he said "the Thwomps had good timing". Hope that helps!
Thanks a lot to both of you :-) !

Cloudswitch Castle
FMX-77N-2VF
Lakitu clouds are stressful and tricky to use because of inertia and limited use, and the (otherwise great) level would benefit from not being as strict IMHO.

Course Name: A Cool Stroll Back
Course ID: 5YP-V42-08G
Perfect flow and visuals, and great fun, as usual. I love how the way back is different. Superb.

Goomba Oasis
WG6 KSH 67G
A joyous, typically Mario-esque, fun romp.Thank you!

It Is I Who Notes To That
7L1-9PG-6HF

Yeah, it's awful. But if I didn't get it out, I'd have been up all night thinking about it.
Despite my hate for bouncing obstacles, I actually finished it and had fun. So I liked it.

AAANNNNND I'm done, I've caught up with the thread!

Last edited:

Naar

Oct 29, 2017

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BEscape%2Bfrom%2BAnother%2BCastle.png

The level is best played with Toad: the idea is you've been kidnapped by Bowser, but you don't want to wait to be rescued by Mario, and you escape by your own means. The level is very accessible and humorous, focusing on indirect death for Bowser's minions. It can be played by children playing slowly and methodically, but the level design is also very compatible with a speedrun approach. For people who may have played an earlier version: there are now 1-UP rewards, and mostly, the level has been changed to be even more speedrun-friendly.

--

I admit I didn't get it. After we get the leaf, we're supposed to go back to the beginning, then fly again?

I couldn't get past the very first part of Cosmic Ballet despite spinning all I could.

The Game Boy level is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. Not only the concept, but how well you made it work and play well and be fun despite all the constraints. Superb.

I didn't get it. We're supposed to kill the Thwomp with the switch (?), but after that, the bombs are difficult to use without dying, and I don't see how useful they could be.

I absolutely LOVED Swinging Snappers, it's fun and exciting and surprising and fair during the whole level!

A Flock of Thwomps is also very fun. If I'm not mistaken, it doesn't feature checkpoints, but the level is very clear and fair the whole way, so it adds a nice little tension.
Fly up and left

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you for playing!
That's now two creators from this thread recommending it, which is worth, like, 20 regular creators. :)

I followed the 10 steps to getting rich making a level trend, from the previous page without much success. I did get a few plays from Reddit but not enough I guess.

EBwWX5sX4AIghHq

Let's say that trying to make popular levels is a different, more frustrating, way to play Mario Maker.
I used to be happy to watch Naar get mad at my levels on stream and now I want to be popular. This game corrupted me!

But I'm currently working on a silly Mole level for my own selfish pleasure, which means this game is still amazing and I'm still pure at heart.

No levels I made that got popular (a few hundred plays) got a lot of plays until a few days after I released them. So I think you just gotta wait it out a bit. This level is really good. It will catch on I'm positive.

Lobster

Jul 23, 2019

EBwWX5sX4AIghHq

You're doing really well if you want that level to trend. Just have to push it a bit harder! It absolutely takes several days in my experience to get traction and can suck the fun out of the game in a way, so it's not for everyone.

I'm chasing that elusive 1K/10K play level so that's why I'm trying so hard. I know I have it in me. Seeing four digits followed by five digits would really vindicate all the time I've poured into this game and everything I've learned about level design, not only in the last six weeks, but in MM1 as well.

As I've taken a break and pushed one or two levels on reddit, I've had randoms stop and comment on the quality of my entire portfolio, which is so encouraging to me. I really don't feel like my levels are that special compared to a lot of the big names out there. But I guess what I'm saying is don't be afraid to open up to all your levels being looked at. If someone liked one level that you did, chances are they will like more. That can lead to follows which leads to more plays down the line. But they won't find you unless you give them that one level as an introduction first.

People in the MM2 community are, in my experience, just kind, chill people that love to play and share levels and are happy to trade play for play so if you are going around doing that in your free time for a day or two on the reddit thread (and then going to twitch/Discord/a forum when you feel you've saturated that thread enough for a bit) then you are likely to take off.

Edit: I say all this and then get on to discover Snake Block Blues trended overnight. It's at about a 1:4 like to play ratio which is not bad for a level sitting at a 5% clear rate after the randos got at it. But the thing is, it's the 12th and I uploaded it on the 7th! So yeah, it can sometimes take a while, especially for harder courses, to trend. (And alas, when I got on it was not likely to be my star; it was already at 88th overall, though only 20th on the Expert list. I think when I share levels today I'll just share any old level since I took that break Matilder suggested and don't have any new levels yet.)

Edit 2: And I passed 8K Maker Points finally! Happy dance!

Last edited:

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Mario 3's Underground Adventure!
Course ID: 36J-96M-31H

2SPLDUv.jpg

Have been pretty addicted to making levels lately, it's just so fun! Keep forgetting to post them though cause I'm usually off making the next one instead lol.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
No levels I made that got popular (a few hundred plays) got a lot of plays until a few days after I released them. So I think you just gotta wait it out a bit. This level is really good. It will catch on I'm positive.

You're doing really well if you want that level to trend. Just have to push it a bit harder! It absolutely takes several days in my experience to get traction and can suck the fun out of the game in a way, so it's not for everyone.

Thank you both for your advice and kind words, I really appreciate it.

Edit 2: And I passed 8K Maker Points finally! Happy dance!

Congrats!

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I took some time off from Mario Maker 2 because of real life, but after a rough few weeks I'm back with another Super Mario Bros 3 style Ghost House Course

Let me know if you like it~

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I took some time off from Mario Maker 2 because of real life, but after a rough few weeks I'm back with another Super Mario Bros 3 style Ghost House Course

I played it. I liked it. I even nabbed the WR (for now)

Liked the little 3 door challenge.

I enjoyed this. I died so much trying to nab the record and eventually had to give up and play it normal. Socking it to Bowser at the end was enjoyable.

Perfect flow and visuals, and great fun, as usual. I love how the way back is different. Superb.

Thank you. I sat on this level half complete for 3 weeks due to no inspiration and not feeling it was good enough to continue. Nice to see that people enjoyed the final product.

Thank you both for your advice and kind words, I really appreciate it.

Just keep at it and it'll come together I'm sure.

2SPLDUv.jpg

Have been pretty addicted to making levels lately, it's just so fun! Keep forgetting to post them though cause I'm usually off making the next one instead lol.

Nice lil traditional level. Felt like something in an early SMB3 level. Good job.

Made my first course, I played it super safe, but you gotta start somewhere.

KP4-KVJ-F2G

Yeah very simple. But putting something out there and getting a feel for the tools is important too. Keep at it.

New level!

Goomba Oasis

WG6 KSH 67G

Another classically designed level; utilizes floating clouds which you must fault across while avoiding various obstacles. Feedback would be appreciated!

Good traditional level. Feels very Nintendo inspired while still having its own flair. I like it.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017

I did like it! Clearly inspired level design with risk-reward mechanics implemented. I died a few times due to carelessness, but it felt very fair and traditionally designed. Wasn't confusing or annoying like most ghost house levels either.

I liked the little Koopa Shell gimmick at the end, fun little extra!

2SPLDUv.jpg

This was quite good! I appreciated the traditional design of the level, including the big and red coins. I typically try to include red coins as a motivator in my levels too.

My ONE complaint would be the jump to make the key door... I died trying to make it, and feel that some coin telegraphing may alleviate stress while playing your future levels.

Otherwise awesome level! Please don't forget to post your levels, I really enjoyed this one and am looking forward to more.

Good traditional level. Feels very Nintendo inspired while still having its own flair. I like it.
Thanks! It's what I've been going for with my levels. I just wanna make stages that wouldn't feel out of place in a Mario game. Glad you liked it!

Last edited:

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Thanks for playing and thanks for the advice everyone! Ya I tend to make 'traditional' (other than a few weird ones lol) levels as they're the ones personally I like to play myself!

I just can't stop making SMB3 levels it seems haha! Not surprising, it's my fav game and fav style, just love it so much.

This one didn't turn out exactly how I imagined, tried to a multiplayer friendly one but yea:

Slidin' The Slopes-e + Angry Sun
Course ID: Y7N-BVF-JHF

kBb8Bqj.jpg

Then a full multiplayer one which I dunno, again imagined it differently to the result I think lol. The 'troll' switch box parts are supposed to be like different people in different parts of the level hitting them effecting each player as they tried to get through:

JP Multiplayer Platforming Inc.
Course ID: P11-3FJ-D5G

cBosci9.jpg

Fun fact: JP Platforming Inc. was the name of my imaginary company from Mario Maker 1. :P Even today in Mario Maker 2 I keep the company 'brand' somewhere in almost all the levels I make just for tradition!

Simbabbad

Aug 1, 2019
About:

I enjoyed this. I died so much trying to nab the record and eventually had to give up and play it normal. Socking it to Bowser at the end was enjoyable.
Thanks for the feedback, glad you liked it!

--

Good Mario fun, with excellent flow!

One of these days I'm actually going to learn how to make a decent level and not screw up every aspect of it.
Come on, you already did that.

Clear as crystal level design, fun gameplay, neat visuals, as always!
The SMB3 Ghost House theme looks great, I ought to do something with it.

Slidin' The Slopes-e + Angry Sun
Course ID: Y7N-BVF-JHF

Then a full multiplayer one which I dunno, again imagined it differently to the result I think lol. The 'troll' switch box parts are supposed to be like different people in different parts of the level hitting them effecting each player as they tried to get through:

JP Multiplayer Platforming Inc.
Course ID: P11-3FJ-D5G
I really liked Slidin' The Slopes-e + Angry Sun, it was a fun romp and is probably very fun in multiplayer.

Playing JP Multiplayer Platforming Inc. solo is really confusing and feels trollish at parts, but maybe you wanted to tailor it for multiplayer exclusively.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I find the level a bit confusing:

Well, it is a puzzle level, to some extent that's an intended goal... but that doesn't necessarily excuse design flaws. Still, here's my thinking:

- At the very beginning, why a yellow pipe to generate the bombs? That obliges you to turn on two bombs in a row, or the unlighted bomb pushes the lightened one. Is it on purpose?
Exactly, the intent is to present a simple solution, then force the player into an extra level of thinking. The philosophy behind the Babel Fish Puzzle, although on a considerably lighter scale.

- Then, I don't understand the use of the trampoline.
The original intent was to convey an idea of 'breaking in', but also to signify that in general the clear pipes are Not For You, and you'll need to work around other routes.

- At the part where you lift the bomb with the ! block: why choose to have two bomb explosions needed instead of just one?
There's two possible solutions here. One you can stumble on that requires precise timing, and one that's 100% reliably repeatable. I wanted to discourage the player from the former; it's a puzzle, not a skill check.

- The next section, the one with the many clear pipes before we see the first checkpoint, is VERY confusing. I eventually went past it, but you should remove the unnecessary elements IMHO, because it's unclear, and every mistake means you have a lot to do for another attempt.
It's meant to be somewhat confusing, although I *think* any time you make a mistake it should reset itself without any rogue bob-ombs going where they shouldn't. That's part of the reason for a lot of the pipes - simply *tidying up*. A recurring problem with the inherent core design of this type of puzzle, unfortunately! Everything needs to eventually go off the screen and despawn, blow up, or re-enter the main loop, and that's proven to be surprisingly hard to actually do.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
So I decided to make a challenging level. I actually wanted to make it longer and more evil, but I think people would have quit if I did that.

I had a hard time showing what to do exactly at Goomba section, but I'm sure you can figure it out

Keep The P

KHM-X7B-QDF

I really like the idea behind this level, and when it works it's great, but I think it's crying out for some sort of easy/tutorial section. If I hadn't seen you play it on your stream I don't think I would have figured out what to do. Just starting off with some goomba bounces without the sawblades right above your head would have helped, so the player can get a feel for how raccoon Mario bounces off enemies. Maybe throw in an occasional leaf floating down, so there's a chance to recover if you hit the spikes. There's definitely a really good level in here trying to get out, I think it would be worth you exploring the idea again.

So I've uploaded 2 levels this week, and both are about as different as they can be!

Now normally I also leave feedback on other levels I played too, but I might have to do that tomorrow due to an insane week and a half I've had, so I haven't really played that many levels. Sorry about that! I'll try to cover more levels than usual to make up fopr this! Anyways, here's the two levels.

Cosmic Ballet!

Code: 7BY-9FD-RLF

So this level was actually inspired by that crazy week and a half. Long story short, a strange rash appeared on me, and it ended up being early stage lymes disease! Thankfully, it was caught early, so it doesn't seem like I'm going to get slammed by the long term side effects!

However, I did get slammed by the god damn antibiotics, and I had a weird fever dream. In this weird dream, Mario had to do an "orbital jump strike" on a rainbow air ship. After inflitrating it, the culptrit is none other than Jack Nicholson! Mario defeats him by cutting his head off with a broken wine bottle.

Obviously I don't include the Jack Nicholson part. What this level is about however, is low gravity air twirls in the New Super Mario Bros U style. I tried to tutoralize how you can basically float for a very long time by rhythemically pushing the trigger buttons while in the air... but the less than 2% clear rate suggests that I unfortunately didn't tutoralize this well enough. At the very least, this does attempt to be a straight foward level focused on the low gravity twirl concept, and there is an unfortunate gap between the 2 checkpoints I try to patch up by giving a ton of power-ups, but apologies if this level is a bit too tough!

At the very least, it was a lot of fun to make, since it was pretty simple to build, and using the rainbow semisolids was neat!

Game Boy 30th Anniversary Party!

Code: P3G-HDQ-FKF

So I had the idea of doing some sort of tribute to the Game Boy since Super Mario Maker 2 launch, but the level only came together recently! I decided that almost all the action takes place in a Game Boy screen that is actually damn near accurate tile-size to an actual Game Boy!

This level covers 3 North American Launch games: Super Mario Land, Alleyway, and Tetris, all games where Mario himself is playable in some form!

Here are some more details on how I reference them in spoiler tags. To be clear, I don't think this level does anything particularly new (search for Mario's Gameboy Emulator on youtube to see some similar concepts people did in Mario Maker 1 actually!), but I haven't quite seen it used in some direct tributes to early Gameboy games before at least!

So the Gameboy was a really important part of my life despite it coming out 3 years before I was born, and I felt like I needed to honor it somehow (in fact, I thank Gunpei Yokoi and Satoru Okada in coins if you look at the More Info tab!). I'm not gonna tell my life story here, but to make another long story short: I was nearly deaf for the first 4 years of my life, and I had an NES as a hand me down console, so in order to hear Super Mario Bros, my parents would have to crank up the TV really loud. However, when a cousin gave me an old brick Game Boy with headphones and 3 games, it was a god damn revelation to me: I could hear it sorta clearly! I was pretty enamored with it!

Those 3 games are actually the games this level references: Super Mario Land, Alleyway, and Tetris. I played them pretty obessively, with Super Mario Land actually being the first video game I ever completed. So I have a lot of nostalgia for these 3 games, and felt like I had to try to do them justice. I hope the level I made honoring them turned out well!
I just could not figure out how to do the twirl jump to get past the first screen of Cosmic Ballet, I'll have to go back to it at some point. The Gameboy one was great though. As you say, I'm sure the idea has been done before, but you've done it so well. The Tetris bit especially made me smile.

Hey all, I'm back with another course. This time I used a theme I hadn't tried before in the SMB3 winter theme. I love ice themes but have been holding back in doing an endless dump of them. For this level I incorporated some scroll stop and on off block stuff to create what I think is a cool little level. Would love if yall tried it and gave me feedback. I present yall with:

Dude, this is awesome. A ton of fun to play, nicely balanced difficulty and really great use of switch blocks. Definitely my favourite of your levels so far. I really hope this one does well.

Thank you for playing!

EBwWX5sX4AIghHq

Fantastic level, it has a really unique look with the combination of Mario World Ghost House tiles with switch blocks and ice blocks, and some clever autoscroll tricks. I like how it was actually quite action focused, rather than the slow pace you normally get with ghost house levels. The fakeout before the end goal was absolutely inspired!

Lobster

Jul 23, 2019
Sometimes you just need to make a good old traditional level. This Ghost House is much more platforming than puzzle and it's quite on the easy side, but I hope you have a good time with it nonetheless! No tricks, nothing out of the ordinary, just a simple platformer, the kind of level I'm probably best at.

1sLKw8T.jpg

Title: Eerie Edifice
Code: P1C-LS1-1MG
Description: Bowser has built this spooky Ghost House to ensnare Mario! Help him escape!
Difficulty: Normal
Style/Theme: SMB; Traditional

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Gotdatmoney Simbabbad Solid SOAP Thank you all for playing my course. Like I said, I've had a rough few weeks so it was nice to get back to it and actually have people like the course. At the very least my Like to Play Ratio is much higher than my last couple of courses.

Theorymon I played a bunch of your courses this morning and they're as nice as your other ones. I need to finish up your back catalogue and play some of your newer ones

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, I'm back with another course. This time I used a theme I hadn't tried before in the SMB3 winter theme. I love ice themes but have been holding back in doing an endless dump of them. For this level I incorporated some scroll stop and on off block stuff to create what I think is a cool little level. Would love if yall tried it and gave me feedback. I present yall with:

How have I not played one of your stage since Cold Cavern?!
I've got some catching up to do, well in any event the jump in design is evident.

There were some nice visual touches here to add to the snowy theme (coins as "tree" decorations I believe, as well as the finishing snowman)

first, thanks for the feedback.

Second, I play with Toad by default I lucky me

Third and most importantly, I originally played through this stage like "that's a nice simple stage", then went and read your description again and saw the speedrun mention. Hot damn, you weren't kidding, it all lines up so well to just blitz through with platforms syncing up just right. As a man who loves Tropical Freeze more than he should for its dual layered level design, this impressed me a lot, it took the stage up a whole level and I'd have missed out had I not gone back after re-reading the post!

2SPLDUv.jpg

I got all the coins, I am the bestest.
And I see ya with that one SMB3 Desert stage homage at the start there!

The switch to a small coin hunt midway through felt like a shift from your usual style, still handled in that simple and effective way though.
Liked the hidden coin utilising the big Koopa shell.

Sometimes you just need to make a good old traditional level. This Ghost House is much more platforming than puzzle and it's quite on the easy side, but I hope you have a good time with it nonetheless! No tricks, nothing out of the ordinary, just a simple platformer, the kind of level I'm probably best at.

1sLKw8T.jpg

Description: Bowser has built this spooky Ghost House to ensnare Mario! Help him escape!
As far as alliterative platforming stage names go, that's a good one.
Yep, it's a solid simple platforming stage alright!

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
I really like the idea behind this level, and when it works it's great, but I think it's crying out for some sort of easy/tutorial section. If I hadn't seen you play it on your stream I don't think I would have figured out what to do. Just starting off with some goomba bounces without the sawblades right above your head would have helped, so the player can get a feel for how raccoon Mario bounces off enemies. Maybe throw in an occasional leaf floating down, so there's a chance to recover if you hit the spikes. There's definitely a really good level in here trying to get out, I think it would be worth you exploring the idea again.

I just could not figure out how to do the twirl jump to get past the first screen of Cosmic Ballet, I'll have to go back to it at some point. The Gameboy one was great though. As you say, I'm sure the idea has been done before, but you've done it so well. The Tetris bit especially made me smile.

Dude, this is awesome. A ton of fun to play, nicely balanced difficulty and really great use of switch blocks. Definitely my favourite of your levels so far. I really hope this one does well.

Fantastic level, it has a really unique look with the combination of Mario World Ghost House tiles with switch blocks and ice blocks, and some clever autoscroll tricks. I like how it was actually quite action focused, rather than the slow pace you normally get with ghost house levels. The fakeout before the end goal was absolutely inspired!

I get you and I did think about that. I wanted the player to figure it out on thier own. Biggest issue was level length due to the flying.

I plan to elaborate more on this level in the future though, so I appreciate the feedback!

The thing I wanted to know the most was what did people think of the difficulty, as I wanted it to be a little on the harder side.

Anyways I'll be streaming again in a few minutes if anyone wants me to play thier levels

Www.twitch.tv/naar82

Butane

Nov 2, 2017
Been playing levels posted in here this morning to wash out the taste of Endless Expert runs from my mouth. Been handing out likes to everyone since I've enjoyed all the ones I've been playing just to help out. Sorry I didn't organize specific feedback on some levels (I'm bad at this, I know).

I got a new level too.

Tried to make it a bit on the easier side since half the stage is in the water and contains some light puzzle-solving stuff. Not too crazy on a few things. Like they're being an extra on/off switch after the checkpoint flag, which is just there to reset the blocks if you die, but otherwise makes no sense. Other than that, I think it's got a good mix of extra challenges that I'm happy with.

Last edited:

Core Zero

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to design a level that would introduce inexperienced players to some of the more difficult platforming concepts that become useful in harder levels, without making the levels overly punishing or diverting attention from the platforming itself. Originally this was one level, but after having my girlfriend playtest it, I felt I needed to split the concepts up into two levels. I made the first level, and started the second with the intent to post both together as a set. But in making the second level, I realized I needed to split that into two levels. In the interest of getting some feedback on the concepts, here are the first two levels of a planned four-part set.

Athletics Course: Jumps and Slides
DWJ-K6P-H9G
Style: NSMBU
Difficulty: Easy

This level focuses on platform challenges at full speed. Long jumps that have to be extended with midair spins, and ducking under low ceilings while maintaining speed. There are no pits, no spikes, and no enemies. The final section combines both concepts into a longer mixed section.

Acrobatics Course: Controlled Jumps
H4Q-D9K-SWF
Style: NSMBU
Difficulty: "Easy"

This level is about precision, not speed. It is designed to test controlling jump height and distance, as well as midair jump curving. It is harder than the first level in my opinion, and in the opinion of my playtester, but still has no pits, no spikes, and no enemies. That said I expect it may well end up in the Normal endless queue due to skips and timeouts, even with the timer set to maximum.

Both courses are marked for multiplayer versus, as I tried to consider how they would play in that environment as well. If anyone has thoughts about that I'd appreciate it.

Coming soon, wall jumps!

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017

1sLKw8T.jpg

I like the traditional levels best. It was good.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
A Mario Between Worlds

P72-L9V-FYF

This was absolutely gruelling to make! It's a sort of re-imagining of one of my best levels from MM1, but apart from the central gimmick and the name, it's quite different. I expect it will be a little too long and obtuse for the general crowd, but I'm happy with it. I think I might have to take a few days off making levels now, I'm getting some unpleasant pain in my left elbow from holding the Switch too much!

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Thanks for the kind words. I saw your in game comment. A lot of the stuff you guys have been doing in this thread inspired me to try and make something like this. Glad you enjoyed it. Thus far it isn't looking like it's going to catch on sadly. I haven't had any hits in my last few uploads but I am definitely enjoying making this stuff.

How have I not played one of your stage since Cold Cavern?!
I've got some catching up to do, well in any event the jump in design is evident.

There were some nice visual touches here to add to the snowy theme (coins as "tree" decorations I believe, as well as the finishing snowman)

Glad you enjoyed it. I hope I'm improving haha. Cold Cavern is a MM1 import but I'm still pretty proud of it just given how much more ambitious it was than my normal works despite all the flaws. I am pretty happy with how this level turned out though. Feels like I got the right amount of challenge and gimmick in it. I always work really hard on the visuals of my levels so I'm glad that came across too. SMM2 has so much more you can do with it compared to 1. I don't feel limited like in the first game.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I have about an hour again tonight to stream and critique more levels from this thread, plus whatever else people want to submit. The link is https://www.twitch.tv/ragingbegal for whoever wants to hang out.

Thank you for playing my course. I watched you play, but mobile Twitch sucks and I'm not sure if you got my stream comment so...

One of the more recent stages I made was pretty difficult and it didn't get much in the way of likes so I wanted to make something a little easier. I always try to make courses that feel faithful to Nintendo designed ones so that's why it was fairly straightforward.

I hate that Ghost House Clock Background element so that's why I left that out and some of those rooms feel empty. Perhaps I could have used some window semisolids to spruce them up...

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Made my second level ever tonight. Got distracted with Fire Emblem and forgot I even had this.

I know it's obtuse but I had fun making it. Hope someone enjoys it!

Sir Laguna

Oct 27, 2017
I was talking the other day about how you can't defeat Dry Bones with the usual means (jumping on them) and somebody said "like the White Walkers of GoT".

I had to do it.

'Battle of Winterfell'

322 TCQ 4HG

EB5E7TwVUAAATHH.jpg

Butane

Nov 2, 2017
Hey all, I uploaded my first level!

Cloudswitch Castle
FMX-77N-2VF
Played this one tonight. I liked it a lot!

Only thing I thought could use some refinement of some sort would be the vertical section. With the spikes there was almost no room for error, and with the Banzai Bills, you might want to think about adding in some coins on the first and/or second Bills in order to help guide people. While I think it only took me two or three times, that section felt very reliant on trial and error when the rest of it didn't.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Cold Secret Below The Airship!
Course ID: YCN-5Q2-5LF

giwnGkN.jpg

Sorry if I'm posting too many levels, just trying to catch up on ones I forgot to post over the week. Mario 3 again lol, my first attempt ever at a scrolling Airship level... a lot harder to organise than just a regular level for sure but I like it. :)

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Super Drag Race Thwompetition: 7D0-GFT-R8G

Thwomp race courses are a new popular level style, and I decided to get into them...using the 3D World formula, so there aren't any colored blocks to use to gate progress. It was an interesting experiment.

Try for all 3 big coins, and make sure to pace yourself against the boss.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Re: Déjà Boo 7 (3LB-CXB-62H)

Fantastic level, it has a really unique look with the combination of Mario World Ghost House tiles with switch blocks and ice blocks, and some clever autoscroll tricks. I like how it was actually quite action focused, rather than the slow pace you normally get with ghost house levels.

Thank you so much for your kind words.
The "very unique look" was something I stumbled upon by complete accident and thought looked great. The ice blocks really pop in the Ghost theme for some reason, so I'm totally self-plagiarizing for the next Déjà Boo and reusing the look (and the first room, actually, because why not).

The fakeout before the end goal was absolutely inspired!

Thanks! I think it works because it's in good fun and players understand that.
There are actually very few ways to die in this level (maybe a couple of jumps that shouldn't be missed when the auto-scroll starts) and I removed Boos that were actually threatening. It's more like a Ghost ride in a theme park, so the final fake out fits.

Oct 29, 2017
A Mario Between Worlds

P72-L9V-FYF

This was absolutely gruelling to make! It's a sort of re-imagining of one of my best levels from MM1, but apart from the central gimmick and the name, it's quite different. I expect it will be a little too long and obtuse for the general crowd, but I'm happy with it. I think I might have to take a few days off making levels now, I'm getting some unpleasant pain in my left elbow from holding the Switch too much!

I was one of the reddit users (V1nc3Vega) who played and commented on your level yesterday, and just wanted to let ERA know how cool this stage is. It has really well thought out and fun puzzles, and the general atmosphere and mood of the "dark world" was top notch. I would say more about it but I don't want to spoil it for everyone!

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
EBnVoXPUwAAx2MJ

I thought I'd repost my latest level from a couple of days ago!

I decided to take down my Sonic 1 boss rush level and continue editing, because despite the 70% like ratio I discovered too many unexpected opportunities for the player to die an unfair death. I didnt lose many Maker points, suggesting the level was polarising enough to outweigh the likes with boos from the unfair deaths, but it's difficult to predict how the system works.

How do you usually prefer to troubleshoot your own levels to test for the unexpected?

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
How do you usually prefer to troubleshoot your own levels to test for the unexpected?

I usually run through my course a few times myself once speedrunning and once without using the run button at all and have my wife and daughter play through them to test for anything I might have overlooked. They've each caught stuff that I missed after playing the course dozens of times so having a fresh pair of eyes is incredibly helpful.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

New level. Hopefully this one is less jank and no soft locks like the last one I uploaded then deleted.

Give me any feedback. It's a tough level, but mostly just pretty tight platforming and timing.

XXP-P79-6HG

Butane

Nov 2, 2017
A Mario Between Worlds

P72-L9V-FYF
Very cool level. Love the feel of the dark world. You can definitely tell you put a lot of dedication into making it.

Cold Secret Below The Airship!
Course ID: YCN-5Q2-5LF
So, I don't think a pink coin collection challenge in an auto-scroll level is too great feeling. I'm guessing the regular door at the end of the section took you back to get the ones you missed? To be honest, I would of hate to have to wait for the scrolling again to want to attempt that.

Also, some of the placement of the coins was weird. The one on top of the bullet bill launcher was extremely awkward, especially with the sway the ship levels give normally. Another one that I had issue with was one where you had to bounce off a bullet bill or cannon ball to the top of the level. There was a path below that seemed like a normal path to take, even though the coin was up top as well as a box for a 1-up mushroom. I started to question if the coins were necessary or not after seeing those two placements. It's a good start, but it needs a little bit of refinement.

Super Drag Race Thwompetition: 7D0-GFT-R8G

Thwomp race courses are a new popular level style, and I decided to get into them...using the 3D World formula, so there aren't any colored blocks to use to gate progress. It was an interesting experiment.

Try for all 3 big coins, and make sure to pace yourself against the boss.
I didn't read about paceing myself against the big Thwomp.... I beat him so bad he disappeared on me. I laughed when I came back and reread the post.

Re: Déjà Boo 7 (3LB-CXB-62H)
I played this last night. I really enjoyed it.

Neat level. Only part I had issues with was the area where you had to jump off two (red) cannonballs and a bullet bill. Took me a few tries, but considering the checkpoint was so close, it wasn't a big deal.

My first own Build Mario maker Level ever:

Zombie Cave Escape (20 sec)
GW6-031-2RG

Hope you like it :)
I tried it. The 20 second speed runs aren't my style of level I like, so I can't give any good feedback. Sorry....

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
So, I don't think a pink coin collection challenge in an auto-scroll level is too great feeling. I'm guessing the regular door at the end of the section took you back to get the ones you missed? To be honest, I would of hate to have to wait for the scrolling again to want to attempt that.

Also, some of the placement of the coins was weird. The one on top of the bullet bill launcher was extremely awkward, especially with the sway the ship levels give normally. Another one that I had issue with was one where you had to bounce off a bullet bill or cannon ball to the top of the level. There was a path below that seemed like a normal path to take, even though the coin was up top as well as a box for a 1-up mushroom. I started to question if the coins were necessary or not after seeing those two placements. It's a good start, but it needs a little bit of refinement.

I know the user wouldn't know this but the coins are optional, you can finish the level without collecting them (the regular door at the end just takes you to the boss/end of the level) it's just if you wanted to see the secret below you can try and collect them sorta thing. Being able to convey that easier or more room in the description to write info on levels would be nice for sure.

With the second coin you mentioned I guess I intended people to get it from the front of it rather than back tracking, bouncing off the giant wrench throwing guy or using the flame things to get up there.

Cheers for giving it a try!

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I didn't read about paceing myself against the big Thwomp.... I beat him so bad he disappeared on me. I laughed when I came back and reread the post.

Dangit! I was hoping all the weird contrivances I put in would make that much harder for someone who didn't already know what was happening in the level. It seems I was too presumptuous with those expectations.

Well, at least now that I know that the moving platforms can be controlled by the on-off switch, I have some ideas on how to redesign that area to make it be less mean to the player.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
This level took a lot more to make than I care to admit.

6WGq0cT.png

Framed! (J46-0NX-X0H)
Description:
One day, apartment burglar Mario was in the wrong place at the wrong time..
Tags: Autoscroll, Themed

Features:
- The Police thinks you did it, so run for your life!
- A mixture of light puzzles and balls out action
- Two main locations, including an abandoned factory overrun by vegetation
- Second chapter in the Crime Trilogy, after The Quantum Heist
- Five pink coins and five large coins to find
- Will you manage to catch the true culprit?

Last edited:

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I have two-for-one for you today MakerERA!

World 6-2F (Remake): SQ7-TQS-DVF
First off is a port/remake/remix of World 6-Fort2 from SMB3. I've wanted to make this in SMM2 ever since sideways Thwomps were shown off months ago. Go wild!

Mystery Manor: 40F-M46-R1H
Now this is one of my favorite courses I've made so far! I had time to put in a bunch of little homages to the first Ghost House in Donut Plains from SMW. This course doesn't not progress linearly and it will take some guess work to find the exit. Not too difficult as far as platforming and action is concerned.

Three Dee Road: 7QJ-GV1-NRF
Retro Road Redux: RVQ-8HS-R1G
Cheep-Cheep River Remix: GCC-H6N-4MG
Scorched Tower Ruins: 67F-421-6RF
Sand Springs: LCB-F5J-J5G
Overflow Frontier: 639-C0V-BGF
Butter Bridge Brigade: MKM-SFN-Q9G
Spiny Central: KDK-BGP-H9G
Bully Tracker: WWV-4QB-9YF
Creeper Aquarium: 75D-X6P-FPF
Bonesaw Base Remix: FXG-B9Y-9BG
Big Block Break: 20R-VJY-48G