• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
It's that time of the week again!

ECmrjgAUwAAmQV3

Déjà Boo 9 : Art Show
ID: 2C7-PDY-8FG

What kind of lunatic goes to an Art Show in a Ghost House?!?

This one took a while to made. For obvious reasons, when you see it, but also because it took me a long long while to test it for potential softlocks and mistakes.

Oh, and I uploaded it yesterday just before going to bed and... deleted it 10 minutes later because I couldn't sleep, because I just had an idea for a whole third act I had to add to the level.

Anyway, it's an insane maze!
For those of you who played Déjà Boo 8, it's the same kind of tech, but with a few new tricks. And without the awesome twist at the end. (Sorry.)

The idea was to give players so nice things to look at when they get lost.

I hope you enjoy it!

(And I really hope I didn't make a stupid mistake which softlocks half the players and lets the other half win in 30 seconds.)

Last edited:

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
So one of my good friends has made a level.. and not a soul has beat it yet.

It's definitely a troll course with lots of cheap deaths.

PLEASE BEAT THIS LEVEL!!!

R6c wpn n7g

Oct 25, 2017
Reposting for new page - I'm super proud of this thing so I'm hoping everyone gets to see it. :)

eZe8rTh.png

Here are the achievements:

hUoaTRl.png

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
Hot Storage
2FV-DTV-2LF

ECnxmOGU0AE0L3V

The heat is on, and if you don't hurry it'll be on YOU.

Descent Into The Frozen Fortress: GPK-RPN-XFG
Four Lane Highway: 6MB-TBT-51H
Sachertorte Mountain: N28-SHQ-XMG
It Is I Who Notes To That: 7L1-9PG-6HF
Magikoopa Magmacademy: RDG-9B9-L5G
Polar Bear Plunge: 51P-52V-H5G
Harming Hands: 9P0-L2P-BRG
Sponge Cake Mountain: HNX-RC7-0BG
No Time For Cold Feet: T7R-YH9-5JG
Five Rooms: D5R-JKW-T7G
Classic Castle Crisis: QLT-MHV-3JF
Better Off Wet: R33-NC7-3YF
The Burning Crusade: YQ3-V2P-01H
The Eight Gauntlets: DS4-63L-9YG
Wall Kicks Won't Work: DQY-3P3-2VG
Nightmare Forest: VM0-MY1-Q0G
The Unfriendly Skies of Beetle: JQD-W3B-2KG
Crossing the Desert: 80C-9SV-3PF
A Cold Day Below: GRH-8F1-VSF
Lava Lift Us Up Where We Belong: J8R-VVQ-2JG
The Pipe Vault: L72-DDR-0NG
Cheep-Cheep-Cher-ee: PFV-PWP-N5G

My Maker ID: YST-94H-V1H

Last edited:

Simbabbad

Aug 1, 2019
Sure, but I really wish the algorithm wasn't this demanding in terms of advertising effort outside the game itself.

SMM1 wasn't like this, and it feels like things have been getting worse lately (probably a byproduct of the sheer amount of levels out there).
I don't have fond memories of the first Super Mario Maker in that regard, that game was a lot more frustrating. I don't have less feedback in SMM2, I rather have more, and mostly, levels I stumble on are MUCH better.

But currently, we're in a very slow moment: people don't play or discuss the game much. I released a big level I spent weeks on with tons of polishing, I myself gave a lot of feedback on people's levels lately, the first feedback I have on the level is very positive, and then...

1d0.gif

I'm not even talking about trending or hundreds of plays, I'm talking about a decent number of plays.

I currently have FIVE levels that are finished, but I'm waiting for activity to pick up again. I don't want to release something I spent a lot of time on and have next to no reaction again. Poor Luigi's Recto/Verso Mansion...

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BLuigi%2527s%2BRecto%2BVerso%2BMansion.png

Oh, well, c'est la vie.

I'm not blaming Nintendo: they can't invent people playing levels. I said it already for the first game: the core of the problem is people don't play much compared to the number of levels produced. So they just redirect the flow they have from troll/bad levels (theoretically detected by "Boos") to better ones, it's the only thing they can do.

The only way to improve things would be to release a free/free for online subscribers/cheap application that only allows people to play levels and not create ones. That way, you'll suddenly have a lot more people who play than people who create, and there would be a lot more feedback/visits.

Then again: would you want your levels to be judged by people with no SMM2 account, and who can judge without ever being judged? It's complicated.

--

Usually it takes me about a week to make a level, but I had a quick turn around on this one:

Originally had it in SMB 1 style, which is why I was going with no horizontal scroll in it, but felt the visuals and theme fit SMB3 style better. I'm a little worried that it might get a bit too chaotic (with all the transformed enemies) compare to my runs since I know I go through it quicker than new people.

It's not easy to handle Magikoopas well, and I think you did it! I had great fun! Also, the choice of SMB3 visuals is IMHO the right one!

At first, I was doubtful about the last part, where you ride bricks that can be destroyed, I lost because it surprised me and a brick turned into a Spiny, but at my second attempt I saw most of the way could be done without the bricks, and I did it without problems. I'm still wondering if it was a good idea, but it didn't spoil my fun.

Wow, it's very aggressive for a 1-1, Lost Levels indeed! Tons of enemies, Piranha Plans firing at you non stop, three Hammer Bros. at the same spot with no way to knock them from below, and mostly, no checkpoint. The visuals are also a bit bland.

The level design is interesting and I still had fun (and I liked the level), but I eventually gave up - there are slow/hard spots (the winged Wiggler part is slow), and it's annoying to restart from scratch every time. It could use either a checkpoint, or progressive powerups. It made me feel the following levels aren't for me.

Mario Must Die
Updated Code: BTV-L5J-C5G
Cute level! I had a good time, even if we spend more time watching at clever contraptions than actually doing stuff :-) but it's a genre in itself and it's well done here. I replayed it trying to understand how you cleared the level without using checkpoints to put it online, but I couldn't find how you did it. I wonder if there's a hidden switch or if there's a way to avoid the first switch to trigger.

Double post sorry, shouldn't do long ones on my phone
Or you avoided being the last post in the page ;-p !

I'm waiting for the updated level with impatience!

Hot Storage
2FV-DTV-2LF
I like how despite the nature of the level, you managed to allow us to personalize the challenge.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Cute level! I had a good time, even if we spend more time watching at clever contraptions than actually doing stuff :-) but it's a genre in itself and it's well done here. I replayed it trying to understand how you cleared the level without using checkpoints to put it online, but I couldn't find how you did it. I wonder if there's a hidden switch or if there's a way to avoid the first switch to trigger.
That's kind of the magic of the level, isn't it? It's done without the use of hidden powerups, invisible blocks, secret doors, or alternative paths. I hid everything from the player's view so that they would have a seamless experience, but also be left wondering how it was clearable without dying.

It's difficult to explain without showing it in the editor, but uses a combo of spawn blocking, item loading, and switches. I'll probably make a video over the weekend showing it off since I think it's something people could use for clever themed levels.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
6WGq0cT.png

Framed! (J46-0NX-X0H)
Description:
One day, apartment burglar Mario was in the wrong place at the wrong time..
Tags: Autoscroll, Themed
Finally got around to playing this (I've been super busy in Maker Mode...going to upload what I've been working on later today) and it was SUPER clever. I loved how you were able to capture the theme and concept so well with the limited tools at your disposal. The chase was legit amazing, and to be honest I never realized you can go from standard and transition to autoscroll in the same "level" - how do you do that? I really loved the final part with the Goomba dropping traps, but the Switch block section felt like it was almost too sudden for me to react on the first run through; that might be on me just not paying enough attention though. The variety of light puzzles/platforming sections in the first part and the autoscroll chase stuff really did it for me. Definitely downloaded it for my collection. :)

Reposting for new page - I'm super proud of this thing so I'm hoping everyone gets to see it. :)
I definitely intend to play this when I get a chance! I thought about doing something similar, but ended up deciding against it. I'm really glad someone else did though (awesome idea with the achievements too)!

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely intend to play this when I get a chance! I thought about doing something similar, but ended up deciding against it. I'm really glad someone else did though (awesome idea with the achievements too)!

If your goal is to earn Maker Points and have a shot at making the Popular page, it's super not worth it. Most people don't want to commit to a set of levels and most people don't want to replay your stuff when there's no in-game incentive to do so. If you're going to do it, do it for yourself and for the handful of people who will find it interesting (and most of the people who will find it interesting are other makers more so than the average player).

I'm still happy with the experiment, I'm glad I did it, and the reception from other makers has been fantastic. But it's not a good use of time if popularity is what you're aiming for. You gotta do it for yourself.

Which is generally good advice for any maker right now. Do it for yourself, not for the masses.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I'm waiting for the updated level with impatience!

It's done.

(Or as I call it: my own personal Hell.)

I spent the last two and a half hour fixing this thing, adding new things, fixing the softlocky things created from the new things.

I hope it's not broken now?

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
the core of the problem is people don't play much compared to the number of levels produced

I think you're right on the money with that, and I myself am very guilty of that.

I mean, it's natural, I really enjoy making levels and have a limited amount of time. So with my limited time, I'm doing what I enjoy doing!

The thing is, most of the levels I have been playing are actually quite good, some really great. And I have had a better experience playing these players level than the story mode!

So I build, have fun doing that, and when I feel like it and don't feel like building... I play players levels from the list of builders I have favorited.

(You are in this list, btw, so I will play your latest. Eventually. ^^)

It's difficult to explain without showing it in the editor, but uses a combo of spawn blocking, item loading, and switches. I'll probably make a video over the weekend showing it off since I think it's something people could use for clever themed levels.

I'm very interested, hope you do it!

Which is generally good advice for any maker right now. Do it for yourself, not for the masses

Yep!
Using the Process (TM) to get in the Popular tab is not worth it!

For me, at least. People don't like playing long convoluted puzzles. I make these levels. They don't care.

I spent a lot of time getting my 2 latest Déjà Boo levels in the popular tab, and it worked. But they only stayed there for, like 150 additional players who didn't care for them?

I had a similar experience giving the levels to Twitch streamers (to get to the popular tab).
Some of them just don't get it. They spend their days playing kaizo levels, so when you give them something different, they have no patience for it, they don't get it, and I don't blame them but it's not enjoyable for me to watch them going through the motion while talking abiut something else.

Streamers who do get it, though ?
It's AMAZING watching them playing, trying to understand how the level work, finding subtle touchs I put, talking with thel afterward. A ton of fun, but not what happens the most often.

So I won't give the newest Déjà Boo on Twitch to many streamers. I now have a handful of one who I know will enjoy it, and that's it. I don't need the exposure, and sharing with a few selected people wjo get it is way more rewarding than reaching 5000 maker points.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I low key love that "The Process" has stuck lolol. Just wanted to say though, when I was talking about the method to get a level to catch it was never meant to be in sacrafice of making what you like.

20s speedruns are really popular but I have no desire to ever make one. So I wont. Its awesome to open up a level and see 100+ people played it but you only get that thrill once. Comparatively levels take hours and hours to make. You need to make levels you like before anything else.

If you like making puzzle levels then that's what you should make. Producing in search of clout is not worth it. From playing Mario Maker 1 I know things I could do to my levels to make them more popular but I want to make levels I like so likes be damned.

I'll be playing a lot of levels in this thread tonight :)

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
The Secret Of Cold Cold Mountain

LPS-FNH-4BG

This is my first level in a while now, been busy with boring real life! It's more about exploration and narrative than hard platforming, but hopefully it's still enjoyable.
Apologies for not doing any write ups recently, I have played most of the levels posted but it's just difficult to find the time!

*edit* Now with the correct code...

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

eZe8rTh.png

Here are the achievements:

hUoaTRl.png

Finished it. Really good stuff!!! I can tell you put a lot of work in to this. It definitely paid off. Hopefully DLC comes out so you can put playlists together so your level can be enjoyed as one continuous string. Well done dude!!

Oct 29, 2017
I deleted Skyway Shipyard; it was too long and as a result, since I couldn't space out the 2 checkpoints without it punishing players too much, I decided to split it up into two parts: Skyway Shipyard 1 and Skyway Shipyard 2. As a reminder, I always try to make standard Mario levels so it's nothing super fancy or technical, but I did put a ton of work into trying to make this series challenging but fair, and above all, fun. Here's a brief list of what I tweaked/added on top of splitting the level up into 2 stages:

- I made certain sections more forgiving (I'd say that these levels are still difficult overall, though).
- I'm more generous with powerups.
- Across both levels there are now 4 checkpoints instead of only 2.
- 8 optional Pink Coins instead of 4 (4 in each level); both levels have their own bonus area if you manage to find them all.
- The beginning of Skyway Shipyard 2 has an entirely new section that transitions into the familiar sections from the original upload.
- I tweaked the stages a bit with speed running in mind. There are some extra challenging ways to chain certain jumps to achieve faster times, as well as certain powerup placements positioned to discourage grabbing in order to shave off a couple of seconds.

PcfIOeA.jpg

Description: Bowser has invaded the Skyway. [Part 1 of 2] Pink Coins unlock bonus areas!
Skyway Shipyard 1 Gallery

kwx3qld.jpg

Description: Finish what you started in this deadly stratosphere showdown! [Part 2 of 2]
Skyway Shipyard 2 Gallery

If any of you have a chance to give these a go, I'd really love to hear what you think of them. If you've already played the first iteration I'd especially love to hear what you think of how this plays as two levels instead of the one, SUPER long level that it was before. :)

Updated my list of all course ids posted in the thread:

Could you please update the Course IDs by deleting the original Skyway Shipyard ID and adding these? The original Course ID was R0J-WRV-CTF. Thank you for making this list by the way!

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's done.

I spent the last two and a half hour fixing this thing, adding new things, fixing the softlocky things created from the new things.

Jesus christ. This shit was a mind fuck. That is one of the coolest levels I have played though. As it started to come together it was like a light clicked on and everything was clear. I don't even know how you did this shit but damn, that is an insanely cool mechanic.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
I'll join the snow-fray!

New, relaxing snow-underground-themed course. No power-ups, you won't need them.
It includes a lot of tracks and it's pick a path. That's basically it. Choose the wrong track and you will die!
But don't worry. The course is easy, just read the signs (and remember them!) and you can't die.
Three bonus coins included as well as a cool ending.
Just wanted to explore an idea I had. Hopefully you still enjoy and don't fall to sleep.

Edit: On second thought, normies won't get the course and people finding it on endless won't see the despriction.
Yeah, I should expect a lot of boos. :D

Now, on to era courses!

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
So one of my good friends has made a level.. and not a soul has beat it yet.

It's definitely a troll course with lots of cheap deaths.

PLEASE BEAT THIS LEVEL!!!

R6c wpn n7g

The amount of trial and error here is just in excess. I looked at the world record and it's 7min 10secs. If I'm gonna play a troll level there is just no fucking way I'm playing it for what will realistically be 30-60 mins.

As of this post though it has 1 clear. But jeez, this stuff I do not understand why people make.

I currently have FIVE levels that are finished, but I'm waiting for activity to pick up again. I don't want to release something I spent a lot of time on and have next to no reaction again. Poor Luigi's Recto/Verso Mansion...

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BLuigi%2527s%2BRecto%2BVerso%2BMansion.png

Oh, well, c'est la vie.

I'm not blaming Nintendo: they can't invent people playing levels. I said it already for the first game: the core of the problem is people don't play much compared to the number of levels produced. So they just redirect the flow they have from troll/bad levels (theoretically detected by "Boos") to better ones, it's the only thing they can do.

The only way to improve things would be to release a free/free for online subscribers/cheap application that only allows people to play levels and not create ones. That way, you'll suddenly have a lot more people who play than people who create, and there would be a lot more feedback/visits.

Then again: would you want your levels to be judged by people with no SMM2 account, and who can judge without ever being judged? It's complicated.

People bitched about character costumes locked behind 100 man mario. I guarantee people would play way more random levels if they did that for this game. There is no incentive to play endless unless you are chasing leader boards. You can find better levels online or in popular or in game search. But those do 0 for new people's exposure. The issue imo is that the game does jack shit to entice players to play random levels via the main mode. They absolutely need some real unlocks behind a new mode.

Anyway, played Luigi's Recto/Verso Mansion. This level was awesome. I liked it more than the original Recto/Verso level you made. My only question is why did you add the winged Kuribo boot at the end? Is there something in Luigi's mansion similar? It just seemed out of place.

Otherwise I loved this.

Last edited:

Butane

Nov 2, 2017
It's not easy to handle Magikoopas well, and I think you did it! I had great fun! Also, the choice of SMB3 visuals is IMHO the right one!

At first, I was doubtful about the last part, where you ride bricks that can be destroyed, I lost because it surprised me and a brick turned into a Spiny, but at my second attempt I saw most of the way could be done without the bricks, and I did it without problems. I'm still wondering if it was a good idea, but it didn't spoil my fun.
Thank you! I've been slowly making my way through your levels and loved all of them so far as well as your attention to detail in them. It means a lot when you say you enjoy one of my levels.

I was/am kinda conflicted with the last part. Originally I had a section after the checkpoint flag that had just a regular platform as opposed to the blocks, but it felt too slow to have two of them back to back, so I stuck with the block platform version. That part was very hard to make surprisingly. Because I wanted people to be able to move freely to be able to counter the magikoopas, yet still have to rely on the platform being somewhat intact to make it to the end. Like you said, it works, but I'm not sure it's the best fit.

I'll try to get more levels from here played through with some feedback., but I have limited time right now, so it's going slowly. I don't want to just be posting my stuff without paying it forward to other people.

I was reading what everyone was saying about "The Process". Yeah, it feels completely to have to promote your levels in multiple places to get so few plays.

People bitched about character costumes locked behind 100 man mario. I guarantee people would play way more random levels if they did that for this game. There is no incentive to play endless unless you are chasing leader boards. You can find better levels online or in popular or in game search. But those do 0 for new people's exposure. The issue imo is that the game does jack shit to entice players to play random levels via the main mode. They absolutely need some real unlocks behind a new mode.
To add to this, I don't think the way endless is set up does any favors to random levels anyway. The difficulty spike between normal to expert is insane. In my own expirence, I don't think the expert levels are that difficult for me, but since I only get 15 lives to start out on a run, anytime I start to hit a level that is costing me too many lives, I skip it. I will usually leave a like on a level if it is good and try to go back and beat it later on my own, but I feel a lot of players will skip/boo levels if they have too much trouble early with a single level.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm making my own "Super Mario World 3". The levels are tough, but not kaizo hard, and most are speedrun friendly if you familiarize yourself with the stage. I've used Lost Levels as inspiration, but always with an added twist. I hope you play them and enjoy them! I'll post more as I make them.

World 1
1-1 H00-SS7-VVG
1-2 HDQ-LF5-XQG
1-3- MNT-4BY-T4G
1-Castle TW3-02X-8LG

World 2
2-1 27P-KQ7-MPF
2-2 BCM-N6B-WJG
2-3 G5F-M87-8WF
2-Castle 6YK-8F9-WSG

World 3
3-1 BWH-N7T-1TF
3-2 GRJ-D8D-95G
3-3 B1G-SX0-JDF

I played World 1 and half of World 2.

It's a hefty challenge for sure, certainly not any traditional World 1 or 2 difficulties. I had fun with them though. I didn't die that much but it definitely tested my reflexes. I'll make a couple constructive criticisms on what I played this far.

World 1-Castle, the boss fight should spit out the fire flower closer to the door. You just can get into this situation where bowser just hovers over the fire flower and you just have to wait it out or die and redo a sorta overly long section. This level didn't need this boss fight at all to be honest.

World 2-1. Anytime some shit comes flying at me from off screen I just get annoyed. Off screen Lakitu just made me annoyed more than increased the challenge.

World 2-2. The hidden block at the very end . . . I dunno if you were going for building elevation so you can break the tape at the top but it just killed me as I tried to cross the gap. That is . . . I'd rethink any sorta of hidden block near a pit at the end of a level.

Other than that I enjoyed these levels. I will play more and recommend to a friend who likes a little more challenging stuff.

Edit: Adding in further impressions.

World 2-3. I really enjoyed this one. The flying fish and the chasing poison mushroom were cool. Visuals were nice here too.

World 2-Castle: I enjoyed this castle a lot.. Solid difficulty. I will say again though, I don't really care for the Bowser fights here. Feels like filler after a really well put together castle run.

World 3-1: So these hidden blocks right before pits at the goal are done purposely eh? This time I didn't like the level for that reason. I don't really get why you're doing this but to make what was otherwise a really fun level and put this stuff at the end just spoils it for me.

Last edited:

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Oof... I haven't had much time to try and advertise my levels because of work and it's really hard to get Likes without fishing for them on here or Reddit. I only got like two plays on all of my stages all day long and only one like out of all of them. :/

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
I'll join the snow-fray!

New, relaxing snow-underground-themed course. No power-ups, you won't need them.
It includes a lot of tracks and it's pick a path. That's basically it. Choose the wrong track and you will die!
But don't worry. The course is easy, just read the signs (and remember them!) and you can't die.
Just wanted to explore an idea I had. Hopefully you still enjoy and don't fall to sleep.

Edit: On second thought, normies won't get the course and people finding it on endless won't see the despriction.

Now, on to era courses!

Great stuff. I always love your themeing, especially in your forest and ice levels and this is no exception. I actually ended up looking at screenshots from your past courses as I was working on the aesthetics for my most recent one (posted on the previous page). The concept for this level is fun and clever, and I especially enjoyed the maps you provide to players. I did get stuck on the one back and forth section for a bit. I feel it would help if that platform moved faster. The end with the fast ride back through everything was also a huge and fun surprise.

Last edited:

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I just uploaded a new level

EVERYBODY LOVES ELEVATOR LEVELS
426-R0J-MWF

Based on the "elevator level" beat em up trope, just try to stay alive until you reach the top.

ERA, I'm waiting for your judgement !

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Finally got time to play some of your levels.
(It helps to not be building something!)

But first, me.

ECmrjgAUwAAmQV3

Re: Déjà Boo 9 : Art Show (2C7-PDY-8FG)

Jesus christ. This shit was a mind fuck. That is one of the coolest levels I have played though. As it started to come together it was like a light clicked on and everything was clear. I don't even know how you did this shit but damn, that is an insanely cool mechanic.

"Mindfuck" is usually what I aim for with this series of level, so... glad I reached the target. :)
The mechanic is indeed very cool. For those who are interested, someone posted about it on Reddit a few weeks ago and that's how I learnt about it. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link directly from here, but search "Scroll Stop Woods" on r/MarioMarker and you'll find the post.

Déjà Boo 8 was also built on the same tech, but I tried very hard to find new use for it and I'm happy about the result.

Now, onto the feedback.

Today, I became a speedrunner.

426-R0J-MWF

I really liked it.
I actually never played an elevator level before this one, so that was pretty cool.
I had a rough time against the giant bullets at first because of the camera... until I realized I could simply follow the coins to safety (silly me). It's a fun and fair level.

And World Record!

The Secret Of Cold Cold Mountain
LPS-FNH-4BG

World Record too!
I've got to admit, I paid no attention to the narration. I ran and ran and... stopped, because I had no idea how the launchers on top of he cannons were moving up and down. There was something with red and blue switches, but I didn't understand how exactly they were moving.

The way up felt very satisfying. Very nice and polished level, as always.

Usually it takes me about a week to make a level, but I had a quick turn around on this one:

World rec---- and I died.
So close. My speedrunning career crushed by a piranha plant and, hum, my wife stepping in front of the screen?
Yeah, I said it, it's her fault.

I really enjoyed this level. Simbabbad is right, you chose the right style, the Magikoopas in SMB3 really pop.
I staid really fun all way long, and appart from the section where you have to wait for the magikoopas to free you, it's very well designed for going as fast as possible, especially the last part before the "boss".

I didn't even try to go for the World Record here, as I knew CaptainMatilder would have destroyed it anyway.
The design here is top-notch, yes, even the giant Crosses which feel very weird in a Mario game. The coin collecting was very fun and with the exact right amount of difficulty.

I just have one remark/question.
Did it have to be a recto/verso level.

It was especially apparent for me the whole way through, even though I read the title and new the concept. It could have been (and it is) a very fine level either way, so I hope it wasn't too much of a pain to reverse everything to fit the theme. :)

I'll join the snow-fray!

I already commented in game, but it's worth repeating: how do you keep finding those amazing concepts?
I died a bunch of times though, so I Booed.

Ok, no. Of course.

But I did die a bunch of times!
The reserse way in the third "section" was particularly hard on me, as I could never remember when to hit the final switch.
If I had one remark, it's that the part before the first checkpoint is a bit too long. Or maybe it felt this way because I died a lot, I don't know.

The ending was really inspired and much have took some time to build, great job.

Mario Must Die
Updated Code: BTV-L5J-C5G

I loved the story here.
And the level.

But especially the story, and the upbeat ending, and everything about it.
Great level.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Oof... I haven't had much time to try and advertise my levels because of work and it's really hard to get Likes without fishing for them on here or Reddit. I only got like two plays on all of my stages all day long and only one like out of all of them. :/

Likes are hard to come by. People just don't like levels. I wouldn't take much from it personally. Again. The game doesn't give any incentive to like things so it has to come from players just saying this is cool.

kizmah

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
I uploaded my second level.

Forest gold.
0X4-97T-B2G

It's an old-school exploration level. Find five shiny 10-coins to get to the end. It's on the easy side and I mostly wanted to make an aesthetically cohesive level slightly inspired by Zelda. Hope you enjoy it.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017

426-R0J-MWF

Based on the "elevator level" beat em up trope, just try to stay alive until you reach the top.

I really enjoyed this. Nice and fast paced, but avoided enemy spam. You did a great job of using coins to indicate safe spots. Challenging but not overly so - I only died once. Gave plenty of powerups to get through it.

Oct 25, 2017
It's done.

This level broke my daughter. She couldn't follow what was going on and kept asking me to play something else. Then she insisted that we give it a Boo because that would be "appropriate." (I obviously didn't).

The final run through this level made it all worth it. The Boos screaming as they fell apart was great. Well done! That was a quite an experience.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a bug in the game where the red coins collected before a checkpoint are sometimes not saved?

picmar

Oct 28, 2017
So I've been absolutely rinsing MM2, easily my most played game on Switch already (+100hrs). Still, apart from dipping my toe in at launch, I've negelected level creation entirely. That was until yesterday. I've been having a blast figuring out how to string little sections together and think i've finally got something worth sharing. Basically you have to use Yoshi to collect treasure hidden in the treetops. Really keen on improving and putting out quality levels so criticism is more than welcome.

Cheers

Treetop Treasure
8B3-DNQ-J1G

Oct 25, 2017

Here's my recreation of Donkey Kong. If you played "Super Zero World," you might catch on that the final boss of that level set was my proof-of-concept for this creation - which I think turned out better than I originally expected!

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Whoa, thanks for the glowing praise!
Coincidentally, today I was playing some of your levels, but I still plan to delve in more.

About the pink coins, I decided to reupload the level and fix both of the points you brought up. Hopefully you'll want to try again (there's a small detail hidden for those who manage to enter that secret room). Thanks again!

6WGq0cT.png

Framed! (J46-0NX-X0H)
Description:
One day, apartment burglar Mario was in the wrong place at the wrong time..
Tags: Autoscroll, Themed

Features:
- The Police thinks you did it, so run for your life!
- A mixture of light puzzles and balls out action
- Two main locations, including an abandoned factory overrun by vegetation
- Second chapter in the Crime Trilogy, after The Quantum Heist
- Five pink coins and five large coins to find
- Will you manage to catch the true culprit?

Also, one of the reasons why this level took so long to make is the fact I reconcepted it midway through. Originally...
...it was about a serial killer stalking the tenants of the apartment complex.

At first, it seemed like the killer was the goombratfollowing you from the beginning, but early on you'd get to a plot twist: Mario is the killer, and the goombrat was only trying to stop him.
It was pretty interesting, but also quite inappropriate.
This is brilliant, the way you used the space to create the illusion of a vertical level, only for the sudden switch to a rooftop chase to kick in was fantastic.
Now, this was a LOT of work:

Luigi's Recto/Verso Mansion 2MY-LB9-9NF

This is sort of a sequel to Super Recto/Verso Land, with the same gimmick: the level has actually two sides - taking a door takes you behind the side you're currently in and swaps the view. Therefore, every area without solid blocks or backdrops are strictly symmetrical, while the others have differences you have to use to progress.

Obviously, this gimmick is ideal for haunted mansions: at the beginning of the level, you get trapped into a mansion, and have to explore its every corners to find all key coins and escape. To balance the recto/verso gimmick which is already complex in itself, everything else is quite straightforward to stays accessible and fun, the level being mostly a simple and atmospheric exploration/platforming stage. You can explore the mansion freely (it works like a hub), there is no specific order for collecting the coins. There is (nearly) no powerup, but only five coins to collect, and a save point keeps your key coin progression - keep the coin that is the closest to the exit door for last, so you don't get killed with the key and have to redo everything.

I spent a lot of time on architecture, visuals, variety, challenge balance and flow, I hope you'll enjoy it. Fun fact: this is actually inspired by Jet Set Willy on 8-bit computers (I'm old).

The previous level in the "series":

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BSuper%2BRecto%2BVerso%2BLand.png

The two levels are quite different apart from using the same gimmick, and I like it like that. I don't think I'll do a third one (it's complicated to make, and I don't think it'd be possible to make something different a third time)
Great level, you can see the amount of work that has gone into it. I've made levels involving this sort of duplication work and it's always a nightmare!
It's done.

This is honestly one of the most impressive things I've played in Mario Maker. Absolutely mind bending, I can't even imagine how you can plan out something like that. The way the ending tied the whole thing together was great. If I'm being critical, it's pretty unlikely anyone would finish it in one life without running out of time on their first go, but this level was never meant for the endless normies anyway!
I'll join the snow-fray!

Now, on to era courses!

Really cool idea, I did something similar in MM1 called Simon Says, using the pink and green semi solids in NSMB style in a pattern to indicate which of a choice of lifts was safe, but but this is much better!
Feijoa Forest
P1H-6H2-48G
A traditional SMW forest-themed level with Red Koopas, Goombas and Wigglers.
Not bad, but a little unfocused, I felt like the tricky sawblade jumps were out of place in a traditional style level. I managed to cheese quite a lot of it with the cape too, you have to be careful putting in flying power ups in open levels like this.

Butane

Nov 2, 2017
Finally got time to play some of your levels.
(It helps to not be building something!)

But first, me.

ECmrjgAUwAAmQV3

Yeah, "Mindfuck" as a description works really well. I haven't seen a scroll lock that works like that so it took me a bit to really figure out what was going on. Died once due to time limit, but after that it clicked. Really neat mechanic and level.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
So I've been absolutely rinsing MM2, easily my most played game on Switch already (+100hrs). Still, apart from dipping my toe in at launch, I've negelected level creation entirely. That was until yesterday. I've been having a blast figuring out how to string little sections together and think i've finally got something worth sharing. Basically you have to use Yoshi to collect treasure hidden in the treetops. Really keen on improving and putting out quality levels so criticism is more than welcome.

Cheers

Treetop Treasure
8B3-DNQ-J1G
I got the first clear on this and gave it a like, but I got to be honest: I found it more frustrating than challenging. I get what you were going for but some parts just need tweaking. The section where you have to collect the coins while jumping up the falling platforms just didn't work for me. At first I tried to eat the coins through the wall but I could only get one at a time before losing the platforms and having to fall almost back to the beginning to reset them. I realized after a few tries it would be easier to go to the top and then eat them on the way down, then reset and go back, but the coins were spaced in such a way that I could not get them all on one go. Which meant I still had to reset multiple times.

The coin on wings falling that you had to catch in the next section was also frustrating. I managed to fall multiple times without hitting the slopes, but I still missed the coin at the end. The timing was off just enough that the player needs to take a brief pause at the bottom to get it, making it harder than I think you intended.

I like the concept, I just think you need to clean up those two parts and make them flow better/less frustrating.

Butane

Nov 2, 2017
Got through a few more levels tonight. Tried to get through the ones posted on this page mostly. Apologies if I missed yours...

I'll join the snow-fray!

Very neat. I loved how you basically gave a map that would show you the correct way, and also correct itself to show you which way the tracks were aligned.

426-R0J-MWF

You did a good job balancing enemy spam to where it felt fair though the whole thing through. Only issue I had was you had a section with a semi-solid platform on each side of the elevator about half-way up where I thought it was a section I need to walk through only to be met with lava. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I uploaded my second level.

Forest gold.
0X4-97T-B2G

It's an old-school exploration level. Find five shiny 10-coins to get to the end. It's on the easy side and I mostly wanted to make an aesthetically cohesive level slightly inspired by Zelda. Hope you enjoy it.
I enjoyed it. Like you said, it is on the easier side, which is perfectly fine. Was wondering if you were going to give a power up in the first room, especially with the cheep-cheeps swimming around the key box. Didn't bother me, and had no problem getting through that part.
Treetop Treasure
8B3-DNQ-J1G
I like the idea behind it (using Yoshi to eat the coins). The climbing part with the platforms was pretty annoying to be honest. I think I had to climb and fall down 3 to 4 times to get everything. I did like the part with the claws, and think you could expand on that by using tracks that cause erratic swinging while trying to eat the coins. Overall, I think it's a good start. Just needs a bit tweaking to make it more user friendly.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Likes are hard to come by. People just don't like levels. I wouldn't take much from it personally. Again. The game doesn't give any incentive to like things so it has to come from players just saying this is cool.
In my experience, they're getting stingier too. I used to get a roughly 1/3 like rate on my popular levels, but now it's more like 1/4 or 1/5. I've even noticed the same thing with the continuing plays that Rainbow Rush Galaxy gets from being in the all time top 100, so it's not just that my levels have got worse! Even the sell-out speedrun level I did wasn't much liked! Unfortunately it seems like I need 1/3 at least to increase maker score, so my score has just been bobbing up and down at around the same level for a couple of weeks now.

picmar

Oct 28, 2017
I got the first clear on this and gave it a like, but I got to be honest: I found it more frustrating than challenging. I get what you were going for but some parts just need tweaking. The section where you have to collect the coins while jumping up the falling platforms just didn't work for me. At first I tried to eat the coins through the wall but I could only get one at a time before losing the platforms and having to fall almost back to the beginning to reset them. I realized after a few tries it would be easier to go to the top and then eat them on the way down, then reset and go back, but the coins were spaced in such a way that I could not get them all on one go. Which meant I still had to reset multiple times.

The coin on wings falling that you had to catch in the next section was also frustrating. I managed to fall multiple times without hitting the slopes, but I still missed the coin at the end. The timing was off just enough that the player needs to take a brief pause at the bottom to get it, making it harder than I think you intended.

I like the concept, I just think you need to clean up those two parts and make them flow better/less frustrating.
I like the idea behind it (using Yoshi to eat the coins). The climbing part with the platforms was pretty annoying to be honest. I think I had to climb and fall down 3 to 4 times to get everything. I did like the part with the claws, and think you could expand on that by using tracks that cause erratic swinging while trying to eat the coins. Overall, I think it's a good start. Just needs a bit tweaking to make it more user friendly.

Thanks for the feedback - really appreciated. I'm realising there's a disconnect between making and playing, and without having people go through it blind, it's very difficult to guage which parts work well. Think I'll spend a bit more time polishing and editing and see where it gets me. Cheers!

kizmah

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
I enjoyed it. Like you said, it is on the easier side, which is perfectly fine. Was wondering if you were going to give a power up in the first room, especially with the cheep-cheeps swimming around the key box. Didn't bother me, and had no problem getting through that part.

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. I don't like making difficult courses since I don't enjoy playing them either. I mean, I like a challenge but nothing hardcore. But I find it really challenging to make an accessible course and still make it engaging and fun enough. It's a really tuff balance to strike and it makes me appreciate Nintendo's craftsmanship even more.

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I'm settling down for the evening now to play some Era courses. This is always my favourite place for playing levels, you guys make the best levels that I can find.

Some of you have tried this level already, but if you haven't, the code is below:

Sonic 2

Sky Chase Zone: Reimagined
23P-6LG-V3G

30% clearance
Custom Autoscroll

EC0Hp-4VAAEVdrF

Last edited:

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018

67D-9GB-2LG
Go give it a play

I did and, yeah, the creativity level on display here is amazing.
I'm always impressed when people find ways to use the MM2 tools at their disposal to create entirely new games, and this is no exception. This could have been a real Game&Watch game 30 years ago.

---

This level broke my daughter. She couldn't follow what was going on and kept asking me to play something else. Then she insisted that we give it a Boo because that would be "appropriate." (I obviously didn't).

I'm sorry but your daughter has terrible taste.

Joke aside, I hope the screams at the end didn't freak her out so much. I tought this was hilarious, but mostly because I figured little kids would never reach the end of the level.

This is honestly one of the most impressive things I've played in Mario Maker. Absolutely mind bending, I can't even imagine how you can plan out something like that. The way the ending tied the whole thing together was great. If I'm being critical, it's pretty unlikely anyone would finish it in one life without running out of time on their first go, but this level was never meant for the endless normies anyway!

Thank you so much for the kind words.
But I didn't plan anything, I just kept adding things I thought were cool. For example, the ending did not exist at all at first, you were just destroying the Boo before the flag with a spiny helmet. I uploaded the level like that, went to bed, and... got the idea for the ending 10 minutes later. So I got up, deleted it, and added the whole third act the following day. Uploaded it... realized that I broke it doing that, deleted it, fixed it the following day, and here we are.

One of my favorite bit was actually added very late, just before the last upload. It's the bit where you get into a pipe, can't reach the other end because of the blocks, so automatically take the pipe in the other way to find yourself in a different room with a different painting. It didn't exist at all at first, the player could originally do the two main puzzle rooms in any order, and some player would never even realize that they took the same pipe to see the two different paintings.

Anyway, I spent a ton of time on this thing, and I'm really happy people seem to like it.

As for your other point: yeah it's extremely long, but you're right I don't really care.
It took me almost 5 minutes to upload it, and I know it by heart, so I'm not surprised. The WR is actually around 11 minutes, and even though it's confusing, there are few ways to backtrack or get lost.
Let's just say it's meaty.

Yeah, "Mindfuck" as a description works really well. I haven't seen a scroll lock that works like that so it took me a bit to really figure out what was going on. Died once due to time limit, but after that it clicked. Really neat mechanic and level.

Glad you liked it too!
If you haven't played it, Déjà Boo 8 (QFH 5W6 R2G) uses the same tech, and it has a very fun ending.

(A very fun ending which, based on the streamers I watched, many players won't see at all because I made a terrible design mistake just before it that will haunt me forever.)

Butane

Nov 2, 2017
Thanks for the feedback - really appreciated. I'm realising there's a disconnect between making and playing, and without having people go through it blind, it's very difficult to guage which parts work well. Think I'll spend a bit more time polishing and editing and see where it gets me. Cheers!
Yeah, there really is a learning curve to it. One of the first levels I made had you climbing through a castle as Cat Mario. I had a more challenging version at first, it kinda bombed when I uploaded it. Made it easier and still had very few people finishing it or not liking it.... then made it much shorter. It still only has about 15% clear rate even though I think it's not difficult at all.

Last week I had my brother at my place, so I shoved the Switch into his hands and told him to play it. He had trouble getting past the first areas which I built to show people that they would be climbing on the chain link for the whole level. Pretty eye opening because I figure he would figure out pretty quickly what to do, but he didn't.

Oct 29, 2017
It's that time of the week again!

ECmrjgAUwAAmQV3

What kind of lunatic goes to an Art Show in a Ghost House?!?

I can see how this would have taken a ton of work to build, but I have to be honest in that I don't think it ever "clicked" with me like it has with so many others. I think you were trying to hint at things with the confetti effect, but I never with any amount of reasonable certainty was able to figure out what "puzzle tricks" I was supposed to be doing other than using trial and error/process of elimination to jump over screens and try different combinations of doors and pipes, hoping whichever choice I was trying would eventually stick and I'd find the right path. I ran out of time 3 times but thankfully you had checkpoints which made the "reset" upon respawn very forgiving. However you were causing the screen locks to work in the way you did was unexpected and extremely cool, though, and I did really love the
section at the end that I think was a last minute addition from the sounds of it. Breaking the screen locks with Big Mario was really satisfying as a final sequence! I did find a soft lock though in that I broke the blue blocks in such a way at one of the ghosts that I was able to reach one of the pipes and I ended up stuck in one of the Musical Note Block rooms. I had to REALLY try to get to that pipe though, for some reason it seemed like a reasonable thing to try in the moment lol, but in hindsight it was so tough for me to get to that it felt like I was maaaaybe expecting it to be a secret or something. xD

Overall it was incredibly well done and there is an obvious attention to detail that really paid off; Mario levels with a heavy emphasis or focus on puzzles just aren't exactly my favorite way to spend my time in the game so that's mostly on me. Awesome job though, I'm glad I played it and was able to make it to the end!

Last edited:

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
The level I posted above is currently #1 on the popular tab, thank you to anyone in here who gave it a play! It's really nothing special though, so I expect it to drop away relatively quickly. But still, it's nice to see!

Edit: I'm now receiving a few inappropriate comments, including one from a profile that hasn't played or liked any other levels apart from Sky Chase.

Strange behaviour.

My tag also inexplicably changed to "music". Is this normal?

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The level I posted above is currently #1 on the popular tab, thank you to anyone in here who gave it a play! It's really nothing special though, so I expect it to drop away relatively quickly. But still, it's nice to see!

Edit: I'm now receiving a few inappropriate comments, including one from a profile that hasn't played or liked any other levels apart from Sky Chase.

Strange behaviour.

My tag also inexplicably changed to "music". Is this normal?

You have to lock the ability for others to retag your levels.