• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like Mario Maker 2 came out way longer than 2 months ago, the game's trajectory for me has definitely gone from 100-0. I think it's due to a combination of three interconnected things, the lack of unlockables, the lack of patches, and the lack of official levels. Those were the things that kept me playing Mario Maker 1 and I really hope they all return soon. Obviously there will be updates, but the radio silence since release is not promising. As much as I like playing good levels, that isn't the carrot that really keeps me playing; I need to fill up a meter somehow and feel like I'm accomplishing something, and Mario Maker 2 is a step back in that regard.

That's a big part of why I play Splatoon, the game itself is always fun, but I come back every month to try to improve my x rank, or to level up during the splatfests, or to fill the salmon run meter. Without those kinds of hooks, which of course have their own issues, I'm much more likely to burn out and lose interest. I sincerely hope that they approach SMM2 as a serious WIP and take a scalpel to it rather than just trying to add/fix it with bandages. It needs core fundamental changes/additions that do more to change the core experience than add to the items that can be used in levels.

If that's what drives you as a player, I can see why you might be let down, because it seems to me that SMM2 made deliberate steps towards covering those bases only to fumble the execution (while losing SMM1 staples like the events and the Mystery Mushroom sprite collection). You get to fill meters and unlock costumes in Endless, but as we all know, it's Endless; the level quality just isn't there to make it interesting, so it just feels like a grind. You get to fill meters and unlock costumes in multiplayer, but as we all know, it's multiplayer; connection issues are abundant, most levels just aren't a fit for it at all, the Multiplayer Versus tag doesn't seem to do anything, and letting players drive the organic separation of single-player from multiplayer levels by voting on them just isn't doing its job.

I'm coming into this from the perspective of someone who loves sandbox engineering games (let's put it this way: one of the major casualties of Mario Maker and Fire Emblem taking over my summer has been that I haven't had any time to look at the 1.0 release of Oxygen Not Included, which is another game where my playtime is in the triple digits), so the main thing I get out of Mario Maker as a player is the pleasure of saying, "I didn't know you could do that" or "I didn't think of that." And my main motivation to make levels is to provoke the same reaction from others. So I really am looking for more additions to the toolset or major enhancements to bookmarks/playlists that allow me to share discoveries with others, whereas the dangling promise to add multiplayer with friends is something that doesn't matter to me at all. I think what you get out of filling meters is what I get out of slowly building a diverse portfolio, one sparse creation at a time.

As I've always observed, the Mario Maker audience is really many different audiences with different priorities and value systems that all happen to share the same space. Which is all fine and vibrant, but it does mean that we all have a whole mess of our own requests for what will keep us engaged.

For my part, I know that one of my top requests going into SMM2 was to have a social feed of my starred creators' latest courses, organized by Most Recent—and we have it, and it's a huge game-changer; the whole thing that makes taking breaks and coming back after a few weeks off not only viable, but extremely enjoyable. And yet here, too, there is so much outside the toolset that can be improved.

Simbabbad

Aug 1, 2019
The latest "it's not that bad" posts seem to miss the point: they have all the tools to make Endless good, they just seem to ignore it. It's not that it lacks a purpose or a carrot or anything, it's that the levels in Endless are terrible, and they're already rated as terrible, so they could be avoided/appear less in the queue. People who make good levels shouldn't bother advertising them on forums or Reddit or Twitch or whatever, and people seeking good levels shouldn't bother fishing for them on forums and finally prison themselves into a tiny community - good levels should naturally appear more often than bad levels, that's all there is to it.

Today I wanted to play some levels, but I had played all levels in my subscription queue since production has dried up a bit, that's why I replayed Endless, and it was 90% terrible levels - what are ratings for? I shouldn't have to look for codes and copy them, there are tons of good levels online, they should appear naturally in the modes proposed by the game. It's not too much to ask, and it's not surprising the game has yet again seen a brutal slowdown.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how to create tweets about my world 😢, so here's only a text description of my new level (first time sharing here), that I could use some feedback on.

The Revenge of the Hammer Bros: 6Y1-VNQ-7VF

An intense boss fight against the angrier than ever Hammer Bros. The level is hard, but I don't think it's unfair (nor Kaizo style). And if it is, please let me know!

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, I just came back after two weeks off (due to travel and Fire Emblem), delighted to find dozens of levels by quality makers waiting for me in my subscription feed, and I already sat through this argument on somebody's Twitch stream yesterday. So in lieu of combing through the last few pages to comment on some of the levels I've caught up on so far, let me offer a different perspective on this.

I dropped off SMM1 by early 2016 because I had no decent ideas and too much else to play (and not so much because of the quality problem, as I learnt pretty quickly to ignore 100-Mario and grab my codes off tight, focused communities like our old board). I got sucked back into it earlier this year, 2019, and the experience was incredible: let's just say the Wii U was my most-played platform this year until SMM2 came out. And as I combed through hundreds of levels I had missed, I paid close attention to the upload dates to get a sense of the general trends of what to expect for SMM2.

From my experience, I would go as far as to say that SMM1 didn't start until the casual audience fell off. I saw countless spectacular creations that could not have existed in the first months of the game (either because they took weeks to put together, or depended on mechanical knowledge of the engine that hadn't been cracked open yet, or relied on features that were patched in late like bumpers and checkpoints)—and most people, including die-hard high-quality creators who burnt themselves out by cranking out twenty levels in September 2015, missed out on just how good things became. It's not like SMM2 picked up right where SMM1 left off, too, as we've only had so much time to come to grips with the new elements and study how players read them.

It's healthy to let the game slow down. Given the activity in this thread in the first few weeks, I think it's easy to lose perspective on just how quickly many of you have been cranking out content. You can't expect the initial rush to last for any game on any platform. Some of you here turned out creations so outrageously successful that I hear you talking about a few hundred plays, or a likes ratio of 25%, as though they were a sad and tragic thing. I witness a churn of Twitch viewer submissions every day from people who would kill for the sort of numbers that make certain folks here feel neglected and depressed.

We are not yet at the point where truly ambitious projects that take a few weeks or months to make have even sprung into existence. This game has years of life left in it, and I think those who are intrinsically interested in Mario making enough to stick with the game will find themselves handsomely rewarded. In the meantime, there's no need to kick yourselves for having "maker's block" because you haven't made anything in a week, or check your maker points every day and panic that the numbers have barely moved.

Also: the way the Popular tab works, I actually think many people here have a better shot at getting more plays in the presence of a smaller overall casual audience. This might sound counterintuitive, so let me explain.

When you have a level that's off too a very good start (a 50% likes ratio and about 100 plays), it climbs the top list. A lot of you have experienced this already. And there it runs headfirst into the casual base that depends entirely on the in-game tools for finding levels. The level then meets one of two fates. For stages that are a good fit for casual players, your likes and plays rocket into the stratosphere. For stages that were never really meant for that audience to begin with (but which got a great start via code-sharing with other people who are serious about Mario Maker), running into them is a bit of a curse: you get a brief boost from the leaderboard, but then the casual players pummel you back to earth.

As the audience matures and the median level of game knowledge goes up in the player base, the second fate shouldn't be quite as vicious. People who make trickier, more elaborate, or more knowledge-dependent levels will have a better shot at meeting their intended audience before being slapped down.

I'm seeing something analogous on Twitch, too. SMM2 streamers are still pulling in numbers and building loyal follower/subscriber bases, but the viewer level queues are starting to thin out because the makers are all slowing down. That isn't a bad thing at all: the queues to get your own creations played are shorter now, and streamers are willing to be just a little more patient with sitting through them. It's a subtle change, but it's there. The competition for attention is shrinking faster than the audience (and it's worth remembering that SMM, like a healthy e-sport, sustains a big audience that would rather watch than play; SMM1 YouTubers were still pulling half a million views on some videos in early 2019, and you can bet that most of this came from people who never owned a Wii U).

And as far as play numbers and the casual audience are concerned, it's also worth remembering that a monstrous percentage of Nintendo's sales come over the holiday season.

We're two months in. The audience numbers from the launch period would be unsustainable for any game. SMM1 in 2019 was healthier than people give it credit for, particularly on YouTube and Twitch, and wasn't really decisively killed until the release of SMM2. (On forums like this especially, where everything gets shoved under the Hangouts rug after a month, people too quickly accuse anything that isn't the hot Fortnite-scale trendsetter of being "dead" while ignoring how stable the player bases really are.) It was surprisingly active as the last holdout on a platform that was dead, discontinued, and generally unobtainable unless you went out of your way for it.

SMM2 is in a healthy state and there's no need to panic like some Twitch streamers are doing because WoW Classic is the hot new thing that's vacuuming up the casual crowd, while Nintendo players are bunkered up for one of the busiest first-party seasons we've ever seen (or still buried in Fire Emblem). Of course the play numbers will go down, when even Mario Maker obsessives like myself are taking breaks to play other games. But this time around, the community infrastructure is already in place and the baseline of interest is several times higher. That was never going to change the trend that every big release goes through when the casual crowd moves on.

The worst thing you can do to your own interest in SMM2 is to burn yourself out now and never return. You'll miss so much good stuff, much of which will inspire your own good stuff. For my part, I know that I would be very happy from this point on just to crank out one level a month (and even that seems ambitious).

This is a game where it's fine to walk away for a few weeks or months when you're not feeling up for Mario. The levels will still be here when you come back (and if you have a good subscription list, or if you keep track of codes for interesting-looking creations even when you're not playing, you'll actually be overwhelmed with content when you return). You're all pushing yourselves so hard, while I'm over here wondering how long it's going to take me to catch up on the good levels and profiles here.

I will say that we desperately need the out-of-game bookmark site (and in general, a bookmark feature separate from the Like button). That's a necessary fixture for coming back to SMM from long breaks. My notepad of codes I haven't gotten to yet, and might not get to for weeks, is growing frightfully long.

If there is a sense of panic right now that the game is dropping off a cliff, a huge part of the problem is that everybody is burning themselves out, including the fellow makers that are in your pool of players. Slow down.

I saw you commented on my newest level a few days ago.

I think you have made a lot of great points. I also think a few of us here also lose sight of some other things as well

One of the big ones is the game has to balance rewarding quality makers with trying to put new people on the map and have their creations get a fair shake. I have talked about "The Process" a few times and how like you said, we can use that to get into the popular section and balloon our plays. Not to boast about this community but its pretty tight and we make good stuff often. Like a ways above a lot of other community including Reddit where a lot of us also post. You can come here and you'll play a good level if you just throw a dart. Especially on these later slower pages. We can't just be the popular, trending, all time, everything when the game is picking stuff to hand out on average. Other players will never get to feel the magic of having people play and like your stuff if the feed is bias to high quality stuff primarily. It's a hard task. Make better levels is easy when everyone in your community is talented. But the game is going to sell 10 million units. It's not a fair metric to impose on the average player.

Two, I think we are disillusioned on how many plays the average level actually gets. If your level has 100 plays, it's in the upper tier honestly. If your level has 100 likes, it's definitely there. I think many of the SMM1 vets who were moderately successful were assuming the popularity of the Switch would boast them much higher. What seems to have happened frankly is that popularity only boasted the average veteran maker a little bit on first glance. I haven't seen a big increase or decrease in my SMM1 to SMM2 numbers overall if I lay them side by side on appearance but SMM2 has been out 2 months and my SMM1 account is 5 years old. When you keep that in mind I think people miss perspective. My most liked level in MM1 had as of this post, 366 likes and 2148 plays (bless the bookmark site). As someone who is not of high popularity in this game or the previous one, my one level probably still outstrips many people's whole catalog put together. In 2 months of Mario Maker 2 I already have 3 levels over 200 likes. In Mario Maker 1 it took me the entire life of the game to get 2. At what point are the expectations we have just not realistic?

I think we get lost in just how many plays is a lot. Think of it. Your level was entered 100 unique times. That's actually really incredible. I think we look at the SWITCHXSWITCH levels and wonder why our shit wont blow up. I don't think its realistic. Most people here have levels in the top 10% of stuff that will ever be released.

I dunno, I'm happy with the game besides not knowing about updates. I went on a 3 week hiatus of half finished levels cause I thought my shit was trash and the first level I popped out after it that I wasn't that high on is a lot of people here's fav one I've done. I think many of us are way too hard on ourselves and our expectations some times just don't fall into reality.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the barebones stage drop and a lack of commenting on recent Era stages, laptop is outta action so i cant even get my switch screens to make the following stage more enticing and it takes me soooo long to type with these newfangled "tablets" all the kids use.

GOOPY GOOMBRATS
29D 8DY FXG

Imagine a pic of the NSMBU night swamp here.

Traditional platforming stage where I finally find a way to implement the following things I've been wanting to for a while...
- Lakitu (briefly)
- Rising and falling swamp water
- A full focus on seesaw platforms

Tried to limit my used objects and enemies, I'm happy with the result.

Since I last posted a stage I actually made and uploaded two others
One trying to make use of 3D World's ant troopers with a probably divisive bouncy ant ride segment
And another simple banzai bill bouncing stage in low gravity

---

As for the current discussion, the game is doing fine, there will probably be some new content very soon judging by a likely incoming direct.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The latest "it's not that bad" posts seem to miss the point: they have all the tools to make Endless good, they just seem to ignore it. It's not that it lacks a purpose or a carrot or anything, it's that the levels in Endless are terrible, and they're already rated as terrible, so they could be avoided/appear less in the queue. People who make good levels shouldn't bother advertising them on forums or Reddit or Twitch or whatever, and people seeking good levels shouldn't bother fishing for them on forums and finally prison themselves into a tiny community - good levels should naturally appear more often than bad levels, that's all there is to it.

Today I wanted to play some levels, but I had played all levels in my subscription queue since production has dried up a bit, that's why I replayed Endless, and it was 90% terrible levels - what are ratings for? I shouldn't have to look for codes and copy them, there are tons of good levels online, they should appear naturally in the modes proposed by the game. It's not too much to ask, and it's not surprising the game has yet again seen a brutal slowdown.

I mean, thousands of great levels also don't get the likes necessary to pull themselves out of the gutter either. You're at the mercy of whoever your first few plays are to determine your levels fate. Many of us here would be in that "terrible" level threshold if we didn't have communities to help put us on the map. I want Nintendo to fix it but I don't know how tbh.

Simbabbad

Aug 1, 2019
So, I decided to finally start releasing levels of my Metroid Resurgence series, because why not:

Metroid Resurgence (Brinstar)
S6C-FWM-QDG

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B%2528Brinstar%2529.png

I love very much Metroid on NES, so I wanted to pay homage to it with several Super Mario Maker levels. Currently, I'm not sure yet if I'll ever do a level for Ridley, but the rest is pretty much done. This is probably the most work I've done on Mario Maker levels apart from maybe Luigi's Recto/Verso Mansion.

This level is all about Brinstar, and it plays pretty much like typical Metroid: you explore, you find powerups that help you explore areas, which makes you find more powerups, etc. Even though people familiar with the NES game or those looking at a NES Metroid map will recognize general layout and parts of the level design, things have obviously been rethought to fit into a fun, intuitive and balanced Mario level. In particular, the gameplay, visuals and tone are in fact more atmospheric and adventure-like à la Super Metroid than action-like à la NES Metroid.

I hope you'll have fun with it. Locking the scrolling in SMM2 is a benediction to make Metroid-like levels, among other things. The Kraid level (which is quite different) should be released shortly.

--

About:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BLe%2BLi%25C3%25A8vre%2Bet%2Bla%2BTortue.png

Cute, fun level! Felt like one of the mini challenge stages from 3D World but with a bit more length to it. Would love to see a more complex level of yours that implements this mechanic within it.
I'm not comfortable yet with the SM3DW style. Fiddling with the blinking block concept, I liked the purity of having no other obstacle. When I'm more familiar with the style, maybe I'll return to the idea.

Played it yesterday. I am a big fan of those blinking blocks. Because I was watching a video on netflix at the same time, I didn't have any sound which is a lot more challenging, haha. That's also the reason I died once because I didn't realize time was crucial. Probably not the best way to play the course. Still, cool one. Might try to get WR.
Eh, not the ideal conditions indeed! I'm glad you liked it, I'm curious to know what your thoughts may be if you try to speedrun it.

--

I mean, thousands of great levels also don't get the likes necessary to pull themselves out of the gutter either. You're at the mercy of whoever your first few plays are to determine your levels fate. Many of us here would be in that "terrible" level threshold if we didn't have communities to help put us on the map. I want Nintendo to fix it but I don't know how tbh.
That's reverse logic: play Endless and watch the likes/play ratio of each level, levels are always rated more or less accordingly (or at least they're in the right layer), and yet, good levels don't appear more often than trollish levels with 60+ visits and next to no likes. Levels that people like more often should simply appear more often. Currently, the system precisely favours Internet stars like YouTubers or communities like this one and/or people bothering with a whole process that ordinary people can't/won't bother with. Also, it makes us play tons of terrible levels when there are plenty of good ones.

--

I love the "suspended crate" look. Very fun level, smooth, readable, fair, good looking... The only thing I moderately liked was the floor that's a little low in some areas, the camera moving around hides it at times and we're not sure if there's ground there or not, but it could be deliberate and it doesn't harm gameplay.

I was much less into your friend's level, too slow and misleading IMHO (I hate mandatory invisible blocks, among other things).

As a challenge to myself, I wanted to create an easy level for a change.

Toadstool Trail Gallery
Description: Mario's leisurely stroll is interrupted by some unwelcome guests!
It's a fun level, but it feels a bit uninspired and lacks cohesion a bit. But it's very pleasant!

I'm sorry Simbabbad, it's still not the speedrun I promised... :)

Déjà Boo 10 : Déjà Boo
ID: L73-6BB-WQG
There is quite a margin between a speedrun (not a thing I'm into) and dying twice because of the time limit ;-) !

Anyway, I enjoyed it! I haven't played the whole Déjà Boo series yet, so some things were new to me, and it was quite a surprising ride! Maybe the trick where the lower row of the level is off-screen is a bit overutilized, but I liked the level (my favourite part is when the autoscroll unlocks).

Colossal Creek
Course ID: QYP-0YG-BTG
I enjoyed it a lot, many clever parts with simple tools! The section where you have to swim as big Mario is maybe a bit frustrating since you miss a lot of stuff and it feels like the powerup makes our life harder instead of easier, but the swimming is well designed, so...

Mario Is Missing
L35-B3L-TMG
Easy level, but the puzzles are clever and the flow is extremely good.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
So, I decided to finally start releasing levels of my Metroid Resurgence series, because why not:

S6C-FWM-QDG

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B%2528Brinstar%2529.png

I love very much Metroid on NES, so I wanted to pay homage to it with several Super Mario Maker levels. Currently, I'm not sure yet if I'll ever do a level for Ridley, but the rest is pretty much done. This is probably the most work I've done on Mario Maker levels apart from maybe Luigi's Recto/Verso Mansion.

This level is all about Brinstar, and it plays pretty much like typical Metroid: you explore, you find powerups that help you explore areas, which makes you find more powerups, etc. Even though people familiar with the NES game or those looking at a NES Metroid map will recognize general layout and parts of the level design, things have obviously been rethought to fit into a fun, intuitive and balanced Mario level. In particular, the gameplay, visuals and tone are in fact more atmospheric and adventure-like à la Super Metroid than action-like à la NES Metroid.

I hope you'll have fun with it. Locking the scrolling in SMM2 is a benediction to make Metroid-like levels, among other things. The Kraid level (which is quite different) should be released shortly.

--

About:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BLe%2BLi%25C3%25A8vre%2Bet%2Bla%2BTortue.png

I'm not comfortable yet with the SM3DW style. Fiddling with the blinking block concept, I liked the purity of having no other obstacle. When I'm more familiar with the style, maybe I'll return to the idea.

I'm pretty down to re run metroid resurgence. I enjoyed the quartet back on WiiU :D

That's reverse logic: play Endless and watch the likes/play ratio of each level, levels are always rated more or less accordingly (or at least they're in the right layer), and yet, good levels don't appear more often than trollish levels with 60+ visits and next to no likes. Levels that people like more often should simply appear more often. Currently, the system precisely favours Internet stars like YouTubers or communities like this one and/or people bothering with a whole process that ordinary people can't/won't bother with. Also, it makes us play tons of terrible levels when there are plenty of good ones.

Do you normally play Endless Normal or Endless Expert? I find Endless expert is normally a bag of meh both in quality and in ratings. I don't really think the system works but that's another issue in itself.

Until the game simply funnels away the source of random plays from Endless, I don't think you can fix the quality issue. People are already sad about the low exposure to their levels, can you imagine if they removed the truly random element from Endless?

Simbabbad

Aug 1, 2019
Until the game simply funnels away the source of random plays from Endless, I don't think you can fix the quality issue. People are already sad about the low exposure to their levels, can you imagine if they removed the truly random element from Endless?
I'm not seeing the issue: if you use ratio, blank levels have a naturally neutral ratio, and you can balance up fresh levels until they have a sufficient number of plays. Are you suggesting that it's better not to use feedback at all to choose which level comes in Endless? Because as it is, it's simply killing any interest in Endless and makes people fold back on most popular/advertised levels.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how to create tweets about my world 😢, so here's only a text description of my new level (first time sharing here), that I could use some feedback on.

The Revenge of the Hammer Bros: 6Y1-VNQ-7VF

An intense boss fight against the angrier than ever Hammer Bros. The level is hard, but I don't think it's unfair (nor Kaizo style). And if it is, please let me know!

Conceptually this is a pretty cool idea for a boss fight. Never seen this before so first of all, well done on making something unique. General comments. I don't think the level need the clear condition. I think it doesn't really serve a purpose here. I would actually prefer to see more of a normal level before jumping right into the boss fight. Main reason for this is because while I actually really the concept of the boss fight I think it goes on too long. I think that's because the level is just a boss fight essentially but I think some platforming or something leading up into the boss fight where you trim some of the fat would lead to a better level.

I don't think this is actually a hard level (I didn't die) but I think the length contributes to people dying in it. Good job. Keep on keeping on.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not seeing the issue: if you use ratio, blank levels have a naturally neutral ratio, and you can balance up fresh levels until they have a sufficient number of plays. Are you suggesting that it's better not to use feedback at all to choose which level comes in Endless? Because as it is, it's simply killing any interest in Endless and makes people fold back on most popular/advertised levels.

As of now, if Endless is going to be the main way the average player gets people to play their levels, yeah, I think it needs to be random. Because of things like following, in game search and the popular tab I don't think its hard to find good levels to play. I think it's more important to have a community where people will have their levels played whether good or bad than just playing only great levels in Endless.I'm thinking macro effect here tbh. Might not be the most popular opinion.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I, for one, am literally just starving for any news about content updates or even just a simple "hey, that online MP with friends has a release date" post. Frankly I haven't had time to build or play any courses right now because I'm experiencing a lot of what else the Switch has to offer, as I bought one originally for SMM2.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, my Donkey Kong level must have hit Popular for a little while (it's not there now) because between last night and tonight I went from under 100 plays to 1,300 plays, so "the process" finally worked. Of course, I went from a 66% like rate down to a 25% like rate at the same time but that's just the way it works. It looks like its time in the sun might be over but I'm happy that it finally got some traction.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I made an Astral Chain level, I think it's probably my best level and I made it in less than 4 hours in one long session this evening. I tried to hit a little bit of everything like in the game, from the aesthetics, to the fact that cats are important, to the fact that every chapter has a bathroom to find. I guess complaining about Mario Maker can sometimes be one of the best ways to get excited about Mario Maker, who knew?

JQW-S7T-CYF
※ Astral Chain Chomp ※
※ Anime Cops ※ Alien Creatures ※ Adorable Cats ※ Astral Chain ※

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
It's healthy to let the game slow down. Given the activity in this thread in the first few weeks, I think it's easy to lose perspective on just how quickly many of you have been cranking out content. You can't expect the initial rush to last for any game on any platform. Some of you here turned out creations so outrageously successful that I hear you talking about a few hundred plays, or a likes ratio of 25%, as though they were a sad and tragic thing. I witness a churn of Twitch viewer submissions every day from people who would kill for the sort of numbers that make certain folks here feel neglected and depressed.
These are wise words. I went and checked the old bookmark site, and my most successful MM1 level had 1343 plays and 215 likes in all the years it was out. My latest MM2 level has had over 400 likes in 24 hours. Time to stop feeling bad about my levels!

Sorry for the barebones stage drop and a lack of commenting on recent Era stages, laptop is outta action so i cant even get my switch screens to make the following stage more enticing and it takes me soooo long to type with these newfangled "tablets" all the kids use.

GOOPY GOOMBRATS
29D 8DY FXG

Imagine a pic of the NSMBU night swamp here.

Traditional platforming stage where I finally find a way to implement the following things I've been wanting to for a while...
- Lakitu (briefly)
- Rising and falling swamp water
- A full focus on seesaw platforms

Tried to limit my used objects and enemies, I'm happy with the result.

Since I last posted a stage I actually made and uploaded two others
One trying to make use of 3D World's ant troopers with a probably divisive bouncy ant ride segment
And another simple banzai bill bouncing stage in low gravity

---

As for the current discussion, the game is doing fine, there will probably be some new content very soon judging by a likely incoming direct.
Nice level, the night swamp theme in NSMB actually looks really pretty. The only part I wasn't keen on was the bit where there's a seesaw with a bouncing muncher in the middle, where you have to make a jump into a 2 block high tunnel while the seesaw is raised. Getting past the muncher without getting hit feels hit and miss, and jumping into the tunnel as big Mario is awkward, so I ended up deliberately getting hit and jumping in as small Mario. I think if the muncher was static, and the tunnel a block or two higher, it would flow a lot better. This is a minor nit-pick though, the level was very enjoyable.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
These are wise words. I went and checked the old bookmark site, and my most successful MM1 level had 1343 plays and 215 likes in all the years it was out. My latest MM2 level has had over 400 likes in 24 hours. Time to stop feeling bad about my levels!

Nice level, the night swamp theme in NSMB actually looks really pretty. The only part I wasn't keen on was the bit where there's a seesaw with a bouncing muncher in the middle, where you have to make a jump into a 2 block high tunnel while the seesaw is raised. Getting past the muncher without getting hit feels hit and miss, and jumping into the tunnel as big Mario is awkward, so I ended up deliberately getting hit and jumping in as small Mario. I think if the muncher was static, and the tunnel a block or two higher, it would flow a lot better. This is a minor nit-pick though, the level was very enjoyable.
Good feedback as that was a classic case of me overthinking a section.

It's the first seesaw that actually gets enveloped fully by the rising swamp and I feared players may just jump onto it immediately, since I had no way of indicating a reminder of the swamps max height I figured I'd throw the muncher in there to add something else that may make the player stop and take stock.

But this was on top of the original idea where it was just a seesaw that needed full tilting to get up to the next platform.
And in turn that bit wasn't initiatially a tunnel entrance, the tunnel was a few blocks after but then you could just skip over the ceiling so l opted to start the tunnel earlier.

It's funny how you can think all of this for one obstacle and still have an oversight.

/Just Mario Making Musings

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to finishing a new level (instead of just porting over an old MM1 course). My first NSMBU stage for the game.
2yI2Wzo.jpg

Icebreaker Grotto
QKR-0F3-LFG

"The only way through is down and back up again."

I wanted to try my hand at making a level that works both downwards and upwards. Basically you go down to get the Spiny hat and then you work your way back up with it. I dunno.

I'll be coming through here later to play some of your guys's levels.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I agree, there's so much crap in endless it's insane, and the higher the difficulty the crappier the levels, because shitty level design = challenging?? You can tell the system just looks at death and clear counts and decides where a level ends up purely based on that, it's an awful system. Normal has the best levels I feel, but it's too easy, expert has too much crap with very few gems here and there. This basically renders endless useless to me.

Creating is still very fun, but I hope it gets a good amount of DLC soon, the novelty on the existing content is gonna wear off eventually. I'd love more 3D World content as we already had several years with the other themes during SMM1. There's still so much stuff from the original 3D World they can add.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
New level y'all:

Waltz in the Wall-jump Wilds

CF6 R9M W8G

This level is odd, as it was a collaboration between a friend and I, as opposed to a solo project. It may be a bit uneven, but we put a decent amount of effort into making it together. Let me know what you think!

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Scooting up the beanstalk was always one of the favorite things about classic Mario, so I devoted an entire stage to them. I think I may legitimately have the record for most vines packed into a level. Brace yourself, this one's a marathon -- you're going to need all of those 500 seconds to beat it with one life, but it can be done!

Vine-Ripened Mario
PQJ-TGW-YDF

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Does anybody here enjoy... jumping?

Déjà Boo 11 : Tower of Madness

ID: 3K2-7CW-WDG

The previous level in the series really made me want to try and make a true vertical level, so I made one.
I think I just like the vertical Ghost House background and wanted to look at this blue hue for hours.

Anyway, this is a platforming level where you jump up and jump up and jump up.
It's pretty straightforward regarding what you're supposed to do, but I think it's harder than my previous levels. I expect people to die quite often, and not because of the timer.

Hope you enjoy it!

ferunnico

Oct 29, 2017
"Arcade Classics: Donkey Kong " by divisionbyzorro is MakerEra's latest Course of the Week winner!

pBD3Gqu.png

You can submit a course for the next Course of the Week contest until Friday, September 6th at 6 p.m. ET
Head to the #cotw-submissions channel on our Discord server to submit your course.

Only courses that have been uploaded between August 30th and September 6th will be accepted!

Last edited:

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Posted my tenth level today!

Remember when everyone was upset about the 16-level limit at launch? I was obviously never in any danger of hitting that before it was changed.

This one is (hopefully) fun and not too tough. I found a funny interaction with wigglers and auto-scrolling water that brings back a bit of the SMM1-style wiggler booty action. It's less dangerous and pretty limited in terms of what you can do with it (I think), but it's still funny to me.

Oct 25, 2017

The previous level in the series really made me want to try and make a true vertical level, so I made one.
I think I just like the vertical Ghost House background and wanted to look at this blue hue for hours.

It's pretty straightforward regarding what you're supposed to do, but I think it's harder than my previous levels. I expect people to die quite often, and not because of the timer.

Hope you enjoy it!

This one is really good guys. Don't skip it.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Wario's gold mine heist
3HF-CG5-JPG

It's built around a mine cart ride, you have to throw galoombas at enemies and use them to activate switches.
It's quite short, and shouldn't be too difficult.
Please Tell me what you think about it !

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

Hope you enjoy it!

Damn the second fast vertical scrolling was the most difficult for me, but I finally made it !
Great level, with great surprises (I was on the verge of crying just before the end goal lol)

Edit : oops sorry for dp

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Created my second level. I was recently in Colorado Springs on a business trip and did/struggled my way up the Manitou Incline and while struggling I thought of this level.

Title
Mario Incline

Code
P41-LBJ-PXF

Like the incline it is a vertical experience and I tried to mix up the hazards and tech needed to do the climb.

Last edited:

Simbabbad

Aug 1, 2019
Follow-up to a level nobody played:

Metroid Resurgence (Kraid)
Y4H-68Q-S5G (I don't know why Nintendo avoids us confusing Z with 2, but not S with 5)

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B%2528Kraid%2529.png

Homage to Kraid's lair in Metroid (NES). It's very different from Brinstar since, like in Metroid, it doesn't stand on us finding and using powerups, but on platforming and exploration. Has two "boss battles" just like the original area (you don't actually have to kill bosses). It's quite close to the NES game, it was a lot of fun to make.

Previous level in the "series":

S6C-FWM-QDG

Even though it also pays homage to NES Metroid, it plays more like an adventure game.

--

JQW-S7T-CYF
※ Astral Chain Chomp ※
※ Anime Cops ※ Alien Creatures ※ Adorable Cats ※ Astral Chain ※
I don't know what's Astral Chain, but the level is VERY busy visually, it's hard to see what's going on.

CF6 R9M W8G
Nice wall jump level, maybe a bit simple/repetitive. The flowers background hurts readability a bit when it's used on large areas.

The general concept is good and I liked the level, but I didn't finish it: the first segment goes way too fast, with claustrophobic level design (low ceiling, blocks you bump into) - you die often without really knowing why or seeing a faster path. I went through it once, but I gave up after I got the hat and died repeatedly there again.

Wario's gold mine heist
3HF-CG5-JPG
Excellent level! It looks absolutely great (feels like a Road Runner cartoon), it's a lot of fun, and the balance is perfect.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Excellent level! It looks absolutely great (feels like a Road Runner cartoon), it's a lot of fun, and the balance is perfect.

Thanks a lot ! I didn't think of road runner when making it, but it's somehow the mood I was after :)
I really love Mario world desert theme, it's probably my favorite visuals in this game.

Aaand I finally managed to beat your brinstar level, great job, the homage is perfect !

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
New level, just poured myself into this one over the weekend:
XeeRgSl.jpg

Darkwood Arboretum
394-6KC-WSF

"This abandoned greenhouse is said to have a scenic rooftop garden."

Based on a level theme idea I saw in Endless one time but was disappointed that they didn't go farther with it (sorry I can't recall the actual level code or anything). I guess I have a thing for vines and Piranha Plants.

(yes I know that Arboretums are actually outdoors and aren't really synonymous with greenhouses)

Wario's gold mine heist
3HF-CG5-JPG

It's built around a mine cart ride, you have to throw galoombas at enemies and use them to activate switches.
This is so damn cool that I wish I could like it twice.

Oct 25, 2017
EDlca_iUYAAi4iN

So I took a break from my current project (which I'll be talking more about soon) to tweak (significantly) and re-upload one of my first levels: "Desert Castle Adventure."

I won't lie: I was very much inspired by Captain Matilder's absolutely genius level "Suntouch Sanctuary," which features one of her favorite mechanics: making the player go back through the level with a different context. I got the idea to let the player do something similar, but with an explosive twist: if you make it to the end of this level, well - I guess it's a spoiler? But a lot of you have seen it already...

...okay I'll keep it quiet because personally I think it's super fun. It's almost a trope at this point though - Wijuci does something similar with some of his Deja Boo levels, and a lot of the (more complex) levels in Popular do it as well.

I combined it with a "Castlevania" concept - you explore the castle and find objects which open up further areas for exploration. It suffers from one of my biggest weaknesses - it's too long!! But I didn't shorten it in this remix. Rather, I tweaked the difficulty. I got rid of the super punishing jumps and replaced them with significantly less punishing ones.

If you played the old one, the structure is exactly the same, so you won't see anything new.

(Now softlock free!)

"Arcade Classics: Donkey Kong " by divisionbyzorro is MakerEra's latest Course of the Week winner!

pBD3Gqu.png

And thanks to everyone for this! Pretty sure this level is where I peak - it got me 1K plays, managed to hit the top of some leaderboard somehow and got me the Royal costume, and I'll probably never get anywhere close again. :)

Last edited:

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
CPwHHTY.jpg

RF7-MGK-Q2G

My second level. I liked the seesaw on circle tracks that I used for the Kid Dracula level and decided to make a level out of it. It also includes multiple exits depending on the power ups you pick up.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10314

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's everybody's favourite type of level: water themed 😩

"Water joke this level is"

2V0-NLP-N5G

Only had one clear yet, currently at 1/53.

Any thoughts or feedback?

Schiaffino

Oct 27, 2017

Hope you enjoy it!
Tricky level, I really enjoyed it. Good job!

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Wario's gold mine heist
3HF-CG5-JPG

It's a really good course.
I enjoy levels where a specific idea is explored as much as possiblz, and it delivered. I also wanted it to be longer, which is the mark of a great level.

My only issue is that I kept killing my goomba by touching other goombas so I couldn't progress anymore. The solution ? Always offer an odd number of goombas, so you're always left with one!

I also just played Desert Castle Adventure.

I combined it with a "Castlevania" concept - you explore the castle and find objects which open up further areas for exploration. It suffers from one of my biggest weaknesses - it's too long!!

Nah, it's not too long, it's great.
But... I'm sorry to have to say that, it's broken. :/

After I switched the blocks to blue and made my way back, I went directly up above the pipe and... without thinking, collected all the coins...
The P switch was useless, I couldn't go through the door anymore and got softlock. You should prevent the player from collecting the coins!

Otherwise, great level, and great.climax.

Re Déjà Boo 11 (3K2-7CW-WDG )

This one is really good guys. Don't skip it

Damn the second fast vertical scrolling was the most difficult for me, but I finally made it !
Great level, with great surprises (I was on the verge of crying just before the end goal lol)

Tricky level, I really enjoyed it. Good job!

Thank you guys!

The general concept is good and I liked the level, but I didn't finish it: the first segment goes way too fast, with claustrophobic level design (low ceiling, blocks you bump into) - you die often without really knowing why or seeing a faster path. I went through it once, but I gave up after I got the hat and died repeatedly there again.

Oh you gave up in the final part. :(
I understand your criticism though. The issue here is that the first part is claustrophobic because it's also... the final part of the final climb up the tower. So it's hard at the beginning (because it's the end) but it's short enough, I think, to not be too punishing.

But yeah it's not an easy level and players are expected to die before making progress.

Oct 25, 2017
I also just played Desert Castle Adventure.

Nah, it's not too long, it's great.
But... I'm sorry to have to say that, it's broken. :/

After I switched the blocks to blue and made my way back, I went directly up above the pipe and... without thinking, collected all the coins...
The P switch was useless, I couldn't go through the door anymore and got softlock. You should prevent the player from collecting the coins!

Otherwise, great level, and great.climax.

FUCK

EDlca_iUYAAi4iN

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what's Astral Chain, but the level is VERY busy visually, it's hard to see what's going on.
Astral Chain is Platinum's newest game, and all of the visual distractions were intentional, to mimic the look of that game in motion and try to push the cyberpunk aesthetic as much as Mario Maker can allow. In Astral Chain you work with a monster from another dimension chained to your arm and use the chain like a leash to work together in combat, so that was why I went with a chain chomp in a cloud, though admittedly in my level he's more foe than friend. This video is a good representation of what the action sequences look like, it's your job as a player to make sense of everything going on behind all the particle effects

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017

Hope you enjoy it!
The difficulty curve was a bit off on this one for me, in that the first section with getting the key was much harder than the rest of the level. But it does a great job of introducing the concept. The idea is very strong and we'll executed. I especially loved going back through the beginning with the spikey shelmet and the fake out at the end. Great level.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
This course had an epic feel in the sense that there was a lot to do and lot of ground to cover. I enjoyed the individual pieces but I do think it lacked cohesiveness. At some points it's a puzzle level and at others it's more of a platformer. I was also confused about the boss fight at the end. I really enjoyed using the clown car to burst through the course and it felt like an ending reward but then the boss fight interrupted that sensation.

I did like it overall and would be excited to see how you build on these ideas.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017

2V0-NLP-N5G

I gave it a try, couldn't finish it. I liked most of what I saw, but the Bloopers follow you around and make the later sections a little bit unfair. Maybe a door or a pipe to reset the Bloopers would help?

Yeah, I loved this level. I played the previous version, and got stuck at the last section (went above the chandelier and couldn't get out), but on a second try I finished it. I will check the 2.1 version tonight.

Wario's gold mine heist
3HF-CG5-JPG

Yes, the whole concept was great. I liked how you introduced the mechanic and ramped up with the different obstacles.

My third level:

CEidIY3.jpg

Mario has to fight his way through stages inspired by Donkey Kong Jr.

KDD-HT5-C0G

mktrOOps

Oct 27, 2017
Hey! Would someone want to play my SMW level I've made in SMM2?

It's a classic SMW level called "Vanilla Dome 5" in the vein of vanilla SMW. No kaizo, no trolls and it's totally fair!

I would love to get some feedback, thanks! :)

8GT-GNJ-DSF

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I gave it a try, couldn't finish it. I liked most of what I saw, but the Bloopers follow you around and make the later sections a little bit unfair. Maybe a door or a pipe to reset the Bloopers would help?

Yeah, I loved this level. I played the previous version, and got stuck at the last section (went above the chandelier and couldn't get out), but on a second try I finished it. I will check the 2.1 version tonight.

Yes, the whole concept was great. I liked how you introduced the mechanic and ramped up with the different obstacles.

My third level:

CEidIY3.jpg

Mario has to fight his way through stages inspired by Donkey Kong Jr.

KDD-HT5-C0G
Pretty fun! I don't remember DKJR well enough to know how faithul this was to the original level design but I dig the sort challenge rooms.

New level y'all:

CF6 R9M W8G

This level is odd, as it was a collaboration between a friend and I, as opposed to a solo project. It may be a bit uneven, but we put a decent amount of effort into making it together. Let me know what you think!

Nice breezy wall jumping stage. Not much to say other than I had fun with it.

Hey! Would someone want to play my SMW level I've made in SMM2?

It's a classic SMW level called "Vanilla Dome 5" in the vein of vanilla SMW. No kaizo, no trolls and it's totally fair!

I would love to get some feedback, thanks! :)

8GT-GNJ-DSF
Got the first clear. It was a decent set of fair challenges, but it kind of lacks a sense of identity since there's no theme tying the challenges together. There was one part I thought was iffy. Shortly after the first checkpoint I took a left path and ended up in a room with flying parabeetles where you really just kind of dropped the player in and don't give them much time to take in what's going on and react. Didn't really care for that, but it was optional.

2V0-NLP-N5G

I can definitely see why people would be abandoning this one. A slow water level with a clear condition (meaning no checkpoints) is already going to have an uphill battle winning players over, but there's a lot of questionable decisions here. First off, why are there no mushrooms? Second, there gets to be too much going on the screen about midway through the level, and then you do the old underwater spike maze that nobody really likes. I'm sure you wanted this to be challenging, but think about what's actually going to be fun.