• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Man, where is our update? :/

Déjà Boo 12 : Tower of Sameness

ID: 3K2-R12-7JF
Have you ever wondered what happens to levels once you cleared them?

So I'm spoiling this level, I don't care, it's fun.
The idea here is that I reused the exact map of Déjà Boo 11 and turned it into a whole new level. The previous course was an auto-scroller, this one is not, and you have to solve puzzles to climb the same tower little by little. I just changed a couple of blocks to prevent certain paths, but otherwise it's exactly the same map, and I feel the result is pretty cool.

Enjoy!

Oct 25, 2017
No update in the Direct.Online friend play continues to wait.
Really strange they've been so quiet about SMM2 post-release.

But on the flip side, we're getting Super Nintendo games now.

So my level output (which was already pretty low) is about to tank because I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be playing Super Metroid, LttP, SMB1/2 for the next few weeks. And then Link's Awakening. And Obra Dinn is finally coming to Switch as well. So SMM2 now has some actual competition...

Oct 25, 2017
Could someone please share an invite to the Discord? I bought the game a while ago but was too busy with my studies to play it at the time. Now I'm trying to catch up on lost time and check out a whole bunch of levels that people have made, but have found that all the invite links to "MakerERA" have expired.

If it would be better to share it via a PM that is alright. Thanks a bunch!

Simbabbad

Aug 1, 2019
Given the current state of the game and the lack of feedback, I went into full "eh, I don't care" mode and published most of what was left in my Robostock:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BPerilous%2BArmada.png

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BBowser%2BJunior%2527s%2BSky%2BFortress.png

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Although it's certainly true, that Nintendo needs to give this game more momentum by adressing some issues and fixing some overdue stuff (Multiplayer online, bookmark site), I still enjoy the game very much. Currently I have a lot of other things to do, so course building and playing is stagnated for now. Clocking in over 350 hours in this game, taking a break and playing other games is only naturally. Started building two courses the other day, this game ain't going anywhere. We are almost at the second OT!

So, don't get discouraged by the current lack of feedback or posts. We will never reach the activity of the first two weeks (unless mega update incoming!), but that doesn't mean the game is dying.

That said...I think Undodog scamed us with the official resetera course competition in the OT. :C

Last edited:

Simbabbad

Aug 1, 2019
I wasn't there the first two weeks :-) !

In any case (unless there is a miracle), I won't renew my Nintendo Online subscription given how things are handled, so I'll sell the game next July (the game is useless as far as I'm concerned if you can't play online levels or publish levels). That's just how it is. The game doesn't need more tools, it needs a good online mode.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
No update yet is disappointing. Online multiplayer is still completely broken I guess, as is level discoverability.

I have been working on a new level which was supposed to be a simple and short diversion before closing off the Crime Trilogy (The Quantum Heist and Framed! are the first two, which I originally meant to follow up with a level about escaping from the clutches of a powerful drug cartel).

But I kept getting ideas, this level has grown more and more complex, and now it's likely going to become itself the final chapter in the trilogy mentioned above, even though it's quite different (and even uses a different style, NSMBU rather than SMB1 like the first two, but changing it to match the others would make it lose a lot).

I don't have much time available, so I haven't been playing other levels at all, and this is probably going to be my last level for a while.

ferunnico

Oct 29, 2017
Could someone please share an invite to the Discord? I bought the game a while ago but was too busy with my studies to play it at the time. Now I'm trying to catch up on lost time and check out a whole bunch of levels that people have made, but have found that all the invite links to "MakerERA" have expired.

If it would be better to share it via a PM that is alright. Thanks a bunch!

Sorry about that. The original invite in the OP recently expired; no idea why.

Here you go:

Join the MakerEra Discord Server!

Check out the MakerEra community on Discord - hang out with 86 other members and enjoy free voice and text chat.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
And here it is. The World Of Tomorrow.

gAJqeM2.png

The World Of Tomorrow (T0V-DVR-81G)
Description:
Visit a brave new world, enjoy conformity, follow the rules, turn comments on.
Tags: Standard, Themed

Features:
- Explore a shiny and rich future cityscape with a dark secret
- A complex time travel story rich of twists, with characters and dialogue (make sure to enable comments!)
- The unexpected conclusion to the Crime Trilogy (after The Quantum Heist and Framed!)
- Five pink coins AND five large coins AND five 1-ups hidden around!

Special thanks to CaptainMatilder, ragingbegal and Gotdatmoney who inspired some elements (the first for the changing environments during backtracking, the second for the resolution to the main conflict, the third for... the Process).

Now time to catch up with Era levels...

Last edited:

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
New level, just poured myself into this one over the weekend:
XeeRgSl.jpg

Darkwood Arboretum
394-6KC-WSF

"This abandoned greenhouse is said to have a scenic rooftop garden."

Based on a level theme idea I saw in Endless one time but was disappointed that they didn't go farther with it (sorry I can't recall the actual level code or anything). I guess I have a thing for vines and Piranha Plants.

(yes I know that Arboretums are actually outdoors and aren't really synonymous with greenhouses)
This was lovely, and the ending part...
...left me in awe, and thinking of all the potential lying in beautiful sceneries to look at.

Given the current state of the game and the lack of feedback, I went into full "eh, I don't care" mode and published most of what was left in my Robostock:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BPerilous%2BArmada.png

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BBowser%2BJunior%2527s%2BSky%2BFortress.png
Played Bowser Junior's Sky Fortress.
I had a lot fun dodging wrenches, cannonballs and jumping off the small bricks, until the part where you need to time a jump just as the P-switch runs out. Normally it wouldn't be such a big deal, but in SMB1 style they timed the music horribly, and the effect ends in a really awkward moment that I find extremely hard to predict personally. Having death as a punishment for missing that seems a bit harsh in my opinion (...sorry for destroying your clear rate!).

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
Hi!

I just published my second SMM2 level. I wish I had more time to design more and better levels.

This time I did just a "remake" of my first level from SMM1 (2015) with some changes: slopes and other decorations, mid-level flag, less enemies and other tweaks trying to fix the areas were people died the most. Also some new mechanics.

It was the level with more Stars from SMM1 (around 40 IIRC), but I think it's because it was the first one.

It has several secret rooms (some are evident and some are random), three hidden 1-ups, and two different ways to reach the goal.

Simbabbad

Aug 1, 2019
Played Bowser Junior's Sky Fortress.
I had a lot fun dodging wrenches, cannonballs and jumping off the small bricks, until the part where you need to time a jump just as the P-switch runs out. Normally it wouldn't be such a big deal, but in SMB1 style they timed the music horribly, and the effect ends in a really awkward moment that I find extremely hard to predict personally. Having death as a punishment for missing that seems a bit harsh in my opinion (...sorry for destroying your clear rate!).
I understand, but I myself had no issue at that one part (it's a single jump), the clear rate isn't low compared to my other levels, and there is less deaths at that part than at the end boss. I'll watch death emplacements in the future to see if there's a trend. Maybe you'll enjoy my other latest levels more (Perilous Armada or my Metroid Resurgence levels).

--

My third level:
Mario has to fight his way through stages inspired by Donkey Kong Jr.
KDD-HT5-C0G
It's a good level, but there are a few issues IMHO:

- The music gets very quickly irritating, the default music would have been fine. I had to lower the sound a lot.
- A wrench from screen #2 comes from screen #3 despite the locked scrolling.
- The winged mole generator at the top of screen #3 is unfair, I got killed by a mole falling out of nowhere without time to avoid it. Also, the level is a bit cramped, lots of bumping around the red blocks.
- I'm not sure Bloopers are ideal in screen #4. You could simulate the birds by reversing the logic, with red Cheep-Cheeps jumping at the bottom?

It works well, until the part at the top right with the P-switch: you drew the path with a few coins, but it's really counter-intuitive to jump in the air without seeing the ground after having so much trouble climbing there. When I finally realized it was what I needed to do, I did it, except I missed the platform after a few screens of falling, and I landed at the very bottom of the tower. I quit. I restarted and killed myself to leave a heart because apart from that, it was good.

I just published my second SMM2 level. I wish I had more time to design more and better levels.

This time I did just a "remake" of my first level from SMM1 (2015) with some changes: slopes and other decorations, mid-level flag, less enemies and other tweaks trying to fix the areas were people died the most. Also some new mechanics.
I enjoyed it and noticed no major flaw. There's maybe too much invisible blocks IMHO, but it's a detail.

Description:
I'll be honest: I didn't finish it because I didn't get into it. It's totally subjective, but I felt there was an overabundance of text, so after a while, I turned off the comments, and then, the level didn't really work/make sense.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
I understand, but I myself had no issue at that one part (it's a single jump), the clear rate isn't low compared to my other levels, and there is less deaths at that part than at the end boss. I'll watch death emplacements in the future to see if there's a trend. Maybe you'll enjoy my other latest levels more (Perilous Armada or my Metroid Resurgence levels).
My criticism was mostly towards Nintendo, as the timing on that music seems unusually sloppy coming from them. It made annoyingly difficult (at least to me) something that normally wouldn't be.
I'm planning to go through more of your levels, of course!

I'll be honest: I didn't finish it because I didn't get into it. It's totally subjective, but I felt there was an overabundance of text, so after a while, I turned off the comments, and then, the level didn't really work/make sense.
Perfectly fair. I wanted to do something a bit different, and experimented with the text knowing the risks (some find it annoying, and English is not as pervasive a language as we like to think it is).

The speakers and signage feeling invasive in the future world is also kind of the point (it's a dystopia realized with propaganda brainwashing the citizens), and I think the only parts that need text to be understandable are:
1. The part with the Professor tinkering with stuff near the second checkpoint (kinda unconsequential, that room only exists because of the limitations of SMM2);
2. The destroyed office right after that, including why there is a time machine there;
3. The line of dialogue from the final boss.
Everything else I expect to be perfectly understandable even with comments off.

Anyway thanks for the feedback on this, I consider that precious!

Last edited:

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Rainbow Rush Galaxy 2

MC5-60P-MTG

It feels like ages since I last uploaded a level, been making this one on and off for the last week inbetween playing Astral Chain. It's a straight sequel to the original, with more of the same bouncy colour themed fun. I doubt it'll end up getting 147K plays, but it was a lot of fun to make.

ferunnico

Oct 29, 2017
"The World Of Tomorrow" by Jocchan and "The Mooncaves - Slide/Jump" by NeuroCloud are MakerEra's latest Course of the Week winners!

FKIhnLG.png

xDFOvQP.png

This concludes our last Course of the Week contest, which has now turned into a Course of the Month contest. More info will follow shortly.

Last edited:

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Here's something I've been messing around with off and on for the last few weeks:

UtEfAlx.png

Handle With Care
Course ID: F87-5YW-2FG
Difficulty: Expert
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

This features a gimmick I don't think I've seen but has probably actually been done a thousand times. You have to transport a red POW block to the goal by carefully tossing it carefully. If you mess up the whole level will be destroyed. It's pretty short and I wanted it to be fairly easy but I'm sure it will end up classified as expert anyway as usually happens to any level that requires the player to do anything out of the ordinary.

I liked this a lot. The solid colors and galaxy music make it feel like a whole different theme for SMB3.

This was an ok little level. Watch out for hidden block placement when enemies are nearby and try to avoid blind jumps altogether. The one near the beginning where you're supposed to land on the donut blocks isn't very well sign posted because if you just aim for the coin you'll fall short.

This was pretty cool. It reminds me a lot of a theme park attraction like you would see at Disney World or something. The comment system in this game occassionally made it a little awkward to keep up with the dialogue, but I admire your ambition.

Good auto-scroller with a nice escalation in challenge and it doesn't wear out it's welcome.

I like your idea of repurposing an old stage but I'm sorry to say that I found the level layout past the first checkpoint to be rather frustrating to play. I really don't like how there are all those ghosts around for you to accidentally run into with not a mushroom in sight as it's too long and tedious to go back through if you die.

ferunnico

Oct 29, 2017
rV1J05M.png

Submissions for MakerEra's first Course of the Month contest are now open!

Head on over to the #cotm-submissions channel on our Discord server to submit a course until Monday, September 30th.

Only courses that have been uploaded after September 1st will be accepted!

You can also change your submission at any time, so there is no risk in submitting a course early.

Join the MakerEra Discord Server!

Check out the MakerEra community on Discord - hang out with 86 other members and enjoy free voice and text chat.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
So, I made my first 3D World level.
Actually, I opened the 3D World style for the very first time and made a level.

... How are we supposed to make anything with so few tools??

Déjà Boo 13 : Sorry, Wrong Pipe!

ID: W7H-MYB-F4G

I did what I could. But apart from looking and sounding great, the 3D World style just lacks too many tools to build a fun puzzle.
Result: this level is actually pretty short and pretty easy and pretty pretty!

But, yeah, no stacking, no red and blue blocks, it's hard.
The warp boxes are actually great for puzzle making, as they act like doors that disappear (so you can't backtrack AND they leave to trace, which is great for duplicate rooms). But otherwise, yep, it lacks too many features.

Hope you guys still find enough meat on this level to enjoy it.

---

Re: Déjà Boo 12 (3K2-R12-7JF )

It works well, until the part at the top right with the P-switch: you drew the path with a few coins, but it's really counter-intuitive to jump in the air without seeing the ground after having so much trouble climbing there. When I finally realized it was what I needed to do, I did it, except I missed the platform after a few screens of falling, and I landed at the very bottom of the tower. I quit. I restarted and killed myself to leave a heart because apart from that, it was good.

That's totally fair, and that's the type of design mistakes which drive me nuts : I should have seen it, and there is a very simple fix that would prevent having to redo the whole sequence to get back up (without breaking the level). Worst thing is I actually saw that it was possible to easily fall on the right side of the tower and get stuck, so I put a switch there... without seeing how long it would actually take to redo everything.

My bad.

I like your idea of repurposing an old stage but I'm sorry to say that I found the level layout past the first checkpoint to be rather frustrating to play. I really don't like how there are all those ghosts around for you to accidentally run into with not a mushroom in sight as it's too long and tedious to go back through if you die.

I could have sworn I put a shelmet as protection.

I should probably reupload to fix these two mistakes...

Oct 29, 2017
Sorry I've been pretty inactive lately. A combination of playing Torchlight II/doing stuff with friends and also working on what will likely be my last level for a while. It's basically done I just want to have a couple of my friends test it out so I can try to catch any mistakes that I might want to fix before uploading. I STILL need to finish Mario Zero World (I love it so far but haven't played past the Desert level I believe), but I need to write up my feedback on a lot of courses I've missed/haven't shared feedback yet.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
And here it is. The World Of Tomorrow.

gAJqeM2.png

Description:

Features:
- Explore a shiny and rich future cityscape with a dark secret
- A complex time travel story rich of twists, with characters and dialogue (make sure to enable comments!)
- The unexpected conclusion to the Crime Trilogy (after The Quantum Heist and Framed!)
- Five pink coins AND five large coins AND five 1-ups hidden around!

Special thanks to CaptainMatilder, ragingbegal and Gotdatmoney who inspired some elements (the first for the changing environments during backtracking, the second for the resolution to the main conflict, the third for... the Process).

Now time to catch up with Era levels...

I played this on stream over the weekend. If you want to see the full playthrough and my reactions, go to https://www.twitch.tv/videos/478184348. Your section starts about 3 minutes in.

Overall, I really enjoyed it and I liked how you used the time travel idea that I previously messed around with. I did have trouble with the story though. I had comments on but none of them showed up as I played. I think you had like 67 or so comments in the course, so there may be an issue with displaying that many creator comments.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
This was pretty cool. It reminds me a lot of a theme park attraction like you would see at Disney World or something. The comment system in this game occassionally made it a little awkward to keep up with the dialogue, but I admire your ambition.
Thank you!

Yeah, comments can be glitchy, appear/get hidden unpredictably and always look a bit out of place (especially in older styles). I wish we had a better, and less intrusive, way to use text, but I guess Nintendo did not put message boxes in intentionally to avoid any language barriers.

I played this on stream over the weekend. If you want to see the full playthrough and my reactions, go to https://www.twitch.tv/videos/478184348. Your section starts about 3 minutes in.

Overall, I really enjoyed it and I liked how you used the time travel idea that I previously messed around with. I did have trouble with the story though. I had comments on but none of them showed up as I played. I think you had like 67 or so comments in the course, so there may be an issue with displaying that many creator comments.
Okay, something was seriously malfunctioning there. For some reason they didn't load at all, you can't even see their placeholder icons.

The game is set to display the most recent 100 comments, giving priority to those by the creator (meaning, if the creator has 100 then no comments by players will ever be displayed, not even more recent ones).
In fact, I was originally going to put 100 myself just for that reason (to have only story related comments displayed), but I didn't really have room for a "dumping area" to put those in excess (the crowded waiting room already had more than enough) so at some point I stopped.

It's surprising that something like this can happen though, you'd imagine it's not a lot more data to download besides the course. Maybe they are stored on a different server?

Anyway, about the area where you wandered off, originally you were meant to backtrack through that with added koopas wielding cannons, but the level had gotten quite long already, so I ended up adding a shortcut back to the time machine, and later cut it entirely.

I did think someone may have gone a bit off track there, and thought about walling off the entire area, but a straight vertical wall in an open setting looked wrong, and only closing the area near the vine wouldn't have changed much. So I left it open, also to leave a second chance to get the second red coin in case the player had missed it previously.

About the inspiration I got from you, it's how you dispose of the final boss, but without comments there's no way to get that.

Without spoiling the context should you ever decide to try it again, you kill Bowser in the future by killing his smaller past self with the ON/OFF switch.

This is reminiscent of Effect And Cause.

I actually had a different plan, and wanted you to either fight both at the same time or have the past one kill the future one and then fight you, but the limitation of only three Bowsers per map (and not being able to keep them close together in order to recycle the same Bowser in different rooms with switches/scroll stops because their fire is too destructive) forced me to put the fourth one in the other map, and to come up with this solution.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
I am streaming right now if anyone wants to submit levels.

I generally don't stream at this hour, but I couldn't stream last few days cuz of major internet problems, that I THINK are now fixed and bored and can't go to sleep :p

I'll be on for at least an hour

Www.twitch.tv/naar82

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm working on a level about bees, it turns out that winged Boom Boom looks a lot like a bee in Mario 3. Unfortunately the only good alliterative title I can come up for it is Boom Boom Bumble, so now it's a Buck Bumble level and I'm going to have to learn how to make music for it as a reward for the end. I hope that abusing the hell out of custom autoscroll will make it doable

At least I've found the best Buck Bumble mashup ever made as part of my research

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good level, but there are a few issues IMHO:

- The music gets very quickly irritating, the default music would have been fine. I had to lower the sound a lot.
- A wrench from screen #2 comes from screen #3 despite the locked scrolling.
- The winged mole generator at the top of screen #3 is unfair, I got killed by a mole falling out of nowhere without time to avoid it. Also, the level is a bit cramped, lots of bumping around the red blocks.
- I'm not sure Bloopers are ideal in screen #4. You could simulate the birds by reversing the logic, with red Cheep-Cheeps jumping at the bottom?
Thank you!

I updated it a bit:

3W7-1JC-4KG

* Changed the layout of the 3rd screen a bit so it's not so cramped.
* Changed the position of the pipe that generates moles in the 3rd screen.
* Changed the 4th screen a bit. If SMW style bats are added on an update, they'll get in a future version of the level.
* Added a few secrets.

I'll get back to playing levels from this thread, they're all great!

Last edited:

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I'm working on a level about bees, it turns out that winged Boom Boom looks a lot like a bee in Mario 3. Unfortunately the only good alliterative title I can come up for it is Boom Boom Bumble, so now it's a Buck Bumble level and I'm going to have to learn how to make music for it as a reward for the end. I hope that abusing the hell out of custom autoscroll will make it doable

At least I've found the best Buck Bumble mashup ever made as part of my research

Y'know there are actually bees in the Super Mario 3D World style?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Y'know there are actually bees in the Super Mario 3D World style?
That's too easy. Plus their movement patterns aren't all that interesting and it would be aesthetically boring. The cool thing about winged Boom Boom is that he follows you constantly and goes right back to flying even if you jump on him, so he's kind of like the angry sun but slightly more erratic.

Luckily for my sanity, the auto scroll speeds are too slow to recreate that song so the only extra sound effects will be some kind of buzzing in one room.

Simbabbad

Aug 1, 2019
I finished my series in homage to NES Metroid:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B%2528Ridley%2529.png

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B%2528Tourian%2529.png

Both levels are quite close in atmosphere, logic and level design to the corresponding areas in Metroid, but everything have been rearranged to be balanced and fun in Super Mario Maker. All four levels are quite different in gameplay.

Previous levels in the series:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B%2528Brinstar%2529.png

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B%2528Kraid%2529.png

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
This was lovely, and the ending part...
...left me in awe, and thinking of all the potential lying in beautiful sceneries to look at.
Thanks, the ending is what I hoped made the level all worthwhile.

Finished another level:
hTpsZQ8.jpg

Thornstalk Road
KV9-V5Y-95G

"The Snake Blocks here have their own way of helping you through this beanstalk."

I wanted to do three things--a SMW level, something with Snake Blocks, and something with spike traps (which I have actually deliberately avoided in every other Mario Maker level I've ever done). Somehow this was the end result. Trickier than most of my levels, but not a Super Expert level by any means.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
I finished my series in homage to NES Metroid:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B%2528Ridley%2529.png

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B%2528Tourian%2529.png

Both levels are quite close in atmosphere, logic and level design to the corresponding areas in Metroid, but everything have been rearranged to be balanced and fun in Super Mario Maker. All four levels are quite different in gameplay.

Previous levels in the series:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B%2528Brinstar%2529.png

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B%2528Kraid%2529.png
Played them all, my favorite were Brinstar (probably also because it's the area I'm most familiar with) and Ridley (in large part because of the glass tubes).

Rainbow Rush Galaxy 2

MC5-60P-MTG

It feels like ages since I last uploaded a level, been making this one on and off for the last week inbetween playing Astral Chain. It's a straight sequel to the original, with more of the same bouncy colour themed fun. I doubt it'll end up getting 147K plays, but it was a lot of fun to make.

World record for the highest number of fireworks and fountains within a single level? Haha.

Man, where is our update? :/

Déjà Boo 12 : Tower of Sameness

So I'm spoiling this level, I don't care, it's fun.
The idea here is that I reused the exact map of Déjà Boo 11 and turned it into a whole new level. The previous course was an auto-scroller, this one is not, and you have to solve puzzles to climb the same tower little by little. I just changed a couple of blocks to prevent certain paths, but otherwise it's exactly the same map, and I feel the result is pretty cool.

Enjoy!
Nicely done, but I admit I cheated with the P-switch in the top right corner: grabbed it (it's possible!) and brought it down right where I needed it, as the timing was too tight for me otherwise.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
Hehe, and I actually restrained myself a bit!
Oh my!

Anyway, after a level about murder and one about crimes against humanity (featuring genocide and ferocious criticism of the American society and its racial issues), today I uploaded their natural follow-up... Leo's Playground, a little sandbox for small children.
I actually made this level for my son (who is 13 months old), it's just a few jumps followed by the flagpole (because he loves the level end animations) with a couple of enemies turned inoffensive by semisolids.
So, no secrets, no escape sequences, no blaring alarms, no complex storylines. And yet, my son loves it. Today he almost beat it, so I decided to upload it for other children to eventually play.

Oct 29, 2017
Over the past couple of weeks, I've been working little by little on a level that I think is ready to upload, so here we are. It contains various paths for the sake of player choice, replayability/speed running, and to put more of a focus on exploration. Aside from its design of having multiple paths, I did my best to make it a fairly traditional Mario level that's relatively easy (not very punishing platforming, generous powerups, conservative enemy placement), but with an abundance of side challenges (Big Coins) for anyone up to the task. I was also inspired by divisionbyzorro to come up with a few mini achievements if anyone ends up enjoying the level enough to go for them, which I'll include below:

k8OYscV.jpg

Gloom Grotto Gallery

Description: Choose your path wisely to explore and escape this subterranean den.
Difficulty: Easy/Normal
Achievements:
-Make it to the goal with at least 465 remaining on the clock.​
-Collect at least 6 Big Coins in one run, with at least one of them being a "30" Coin.​
-Find the hidden Star (The Secret of the Mossy Rubble).​
Also, for shits and giggles I went ahead and uploaded a level I made for my 4 year old nephew that I never intended to upload. It's EXTREMELY easy so if you have any kids who are just learning the game or just want to see a bunch of fireworks and collect a bunch of coins, here's a level you/they might get a kick out of:

060PwpU.jpg

Cursed Carnival Gallery

Description: Spooky fun for the entire family. Collect all Pink Coins to break the curse!
Tags: Themed, Short and Sweet
Difficulty: Very Easy

I still need to post feedback to all the levels I've played over the past couple of pages, and I intend to, I've just been extremely busy!

Last edited:

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Got Mario Maker 2 the other day and I'm absolutely enjoying it. Never played the 1st game so I'm catching up, but I really like how easy it is to make stuff. I've made 2 or 3 throwaway stages as my learning courses, but I finally made my 1st one I'm semi-proud of (Besides one other that I'm improving).

52J-N4G-8XF

I'd love some honest feedback on what you guys think for my 1st real level. I'm really looking forward to improving and making even better stuff.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Nicely done, but I admit I cheated with the P-switch in the top right corner: grabbed it (it's possible!) and brought it down right where I needed it, as the timing was too tight for me otherwise.

I don't consider it cheating!
This level is very open and there are several ways to beat it by design. I really don't mind if players break this one. :)

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
How do you guys find inspiration for levels? I try to limit myself to a couple of items to use to be more creative with it, but I always end up staring at a blank screen. Should I just start placing stuff down and have it come to me later?

Oct 29, 2017
How do you guys find inspiration for levels? I try to limit myself to a couple of items to use to be more creative with it, but I always end up staring at a blank screen. Should I just start placing stuff down and have it come to me later?
I usually go into a level with some kind of goal or theme in mind. For example my latest level I designed my goal was to come up with a normal difficulty, underground cave level that had multiple paths and was capable of allowing yoshi, the Cape, and fire flower powerups. A level I made weeks ago I had the goal of making a sky/skyship level themed around bullet jumping, the Cape, contained a secret bonus room, with the music set to Mario galaxy, that was meant to be expert difficulty. Those broad goals can drive a lot of decisions when it comes to the overall flow and even the little details of the level as you go. Sometimes ideas work and other times they won't, but they will turn into something else as you experiment.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
When you think you set up a cool boss fight into and then you see that it's actually broken. I have a bowser Jr fight but he jumps through the floor sometimes and then the level isn't winnable. It's beyond dumb.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Got Mario Maker 2 the other day and I'm absolutely enjoying it. Never played the 1st game so I'm catching up, but I really like how easy it is to make stuff. I've made 2 or 3 throwaway stages as my learning courses, but I finally made my 1st one I'm semi-proud of (Besides one other that I'm improving).

52J-N4G-8XF

I'd love some honest feedback on what you guys think for my 1st real level. I'm really looking forward to improving and making even better stuff.

Pretty solid first real attempt. The very first on off switch appears really quickly and its really difficult to react to it if you don't know its coming. The preceding part with the on offs and giant thwomps is sorta hard to read too. I think it could be a little better broadcast. If you block the Thwomps you have to hit an on off block side way which with the cape you can accidently hit them multiple times and you wouldn't know to bring the shell. Apart from that the only other place I had an issue with is with the crushers. That seems like a really difficult place to avoid damage.

Keep at it!!

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Chyo yall, sorry for the triple post but I finally finished a new level. Been a while since I uploaded. This level is actually a sequel to a level I made in Mario Maker 1 (Called Bob-Omb's Forest Assault). In this level the bob-omb's are again attacking forest town under the guidance of their new captain. Climb all the way to the top, destroy their artillery and take out the Captain. I worked hard on trying to give a forest look to the SMB3 Ground theme then took it to the air using the airship theme. Pretty happy with this level. My only bummer is it's perhaps a tad too long. That said I still think its a cool ride. Lemme know what yall think. I present:

Course Name: Bob-Omb's Forest Revenge
Course ID: 54M-T6X-2LF

I've still been playing most of the levels posted here. I will do a big feedback dump later :)

Last edited:

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
Anyway, after a level about murder and one about crimes against humanity (featuring genocide and ferocious criticism of the American society and its racial issues), today I uploaded their natural follow-up... Leo's Playground, a little sandbox for small children.
I actually made this level for my son (who is 13 months old), it's just a few jumps followed by the flagpole (because he loves the level end animations) with a couple of enemies turned inoffensive by semisolids.
So, no secrets, no escape sequences, no blaring alarms, no complex storylines. And yet, my son loves it. Today he almost beat it, so I decided to upload it for other children to eventually play.
Well, he did beat it. And he got near the flagpole surprisingly quickly, too.

DomLando

Nov 1, 2017
My friend said other people's levels randomly appear in his editor mode. Does this happen to anyone else? What's the cause of this?

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
My friend said other people's levels randomly appear in his editor mode. Does this happen to anyone else? What's the cause of this?
Not other people courses, but Nintendo example courses are showing up, if none of your own courses are loaded in the editor.
You may think these are other people courses, because everyone and their mother are uploading and proclaiming them as their own creations.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Well, he did beat it. And he got near the flagpole surprisingly quickly, too.

Awe that's cute. Its cool that this sorta stuff exists now. If he is doing this well at 13 months he's gonna be a pro in no time

Not other people courses, but Nintendo example courses are showing up, if none of your own courses are loaded in the editor.
You may think these are other people courses, because everyone and their mother are uploading and proclaiming them as their own creations.

Yeah its wild the amount of times you'll see those levels uploaded. Playing the same level in endless and being like "wait, I just played this" is always interesting.

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been working little by little on a level that I think is ready to upload, so here we are. It contains various paths for the sake of player choice, replayability/speed running, and to put more of a focus on exploration. Aside from its design of having multiple paths, I did my best to make it a fairly traditional Mario level that's relatively easy (not very punishing platforming, generous powerups, conservative enemy placement), but with an abundance of side challenges (Big Coins) for anyone up to the task. I was also inspired by divisionbyzorro to come up with a few mini achievements if anyone ends up enjoying the level enough to go for them, which I'll include below:

k8OYscV.jpg

Gloom Grotto Gallery

Description: Choose your path wisely to explore and escape this subterranean den.
Difficulty: Easy/Normal
Achievements:
-Make it to the goal with at least 465 remaining on the clock.​
-Collect at least 6 Big Coins in one run, with at least one of them being a "30" Coin.​
-Find the hidden Star (The Secret of the Mossy Rubble).​
Also, for shits and giggles I went ahead and uploaded a level I made for my 4 year old nephew that I never intended to upload. It's EXTREMELY easy so if you have any kids who are just learning the game or just want to see a bunch of fireworks and collect a bunch of coins, here's a level you/they might get a kick out of:

060PwpU.jpg

Cursed Carnival Gallery

Description: Spooky fun for the entire family. Collect all Pink Coins to break the curse!
Tags: Themed, Short and Sweet
Difficulty: Very Easy

I still need to post feedback to all the levels I've played over the past couple of pages, and I intend to, I've just been extremely busy!

Fun levels. Gloom Grotto was really layered and intricate. Impressive stuff.

Thanks, the ending is what I hoped made the level all worthwhile.

Finished another level:
hTpsZQ8.jpg

Thornstalk Road
KV9-V5Y-95G

"The Snake Blocks here have their own way of helping you through this beanstalk."

I wanted to do three things--a SMW level, something with Snake Blocks, and something with spike traps (which I have actually deliberately avoided in every other Mario Maker level I've ever done). Somehow this was the end result. Trickier than most of my levels, but not a Super Expert level by any means.

Super detailed and intricate level. The main mechanic with the blocks pushing the wigglers was cool. I enjoyed that. It's a little visually confusing at spots but it plays real nice.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
Awe that's cute. Its cool that this sorta stuff exists now.
It is cool to be able to have (or make) something aimed at such a young audience.
My son always smiles when he sees Mario jumping around (with me playing I mean), but the way he smiled when, after making this level, I gave him the joycons for the first time? Truly no contest here.

If he is doing this well at 13 months he's gonna be a pro in no time
Time to raise that difficulty curve, gotta switch to Dark Souls next! :)

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It is cool to be able to have (or make) something aimed at such a young audience.
My son always smiles when he sees Mario jumping around (with me playing I mean), but the way he smiled when, after making this level, I gave him the joycons for the first time? Truly no contest here.

Time to raise that difficulty curve, gotta switch to Dark Souls next! :)

Super cute. You'll have a savvy gamer child in no time. Just keep him off Era!! :P

In positive news, I broke 7000 maker points today which is nifty.