• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 29, 2017
eZe8rTh.png

I finally got to playing all of these and I really enjoyed them all. I ended up getting all of the achievements (and a World Record if I'm not mistaken) from Part 1-Part 5, since when I was playing through that half of the game I had more time on my hands. I had a lot of fun getting them and plan to hopefully go back to getting the rest from part 6-8. Overall each level felt distinct yet a part of a greater, cohesive whole; everything was clearly well thought out, including all of the Big Coin/1-Up placements/bonus rooms/achievements/etc.

Forest Frolic: This felt like an appropriate start to the game and I really enjoyed nabbing the wold record using the secret exit (I might have lost the WR between then and now, I haven't checked in a bit). From the get go it was clear that you had an eye for the standard Mario World aesthetic and "flow", so this got me excited to tackle the rest of your levels.

Peaceful Plains: I really enjoyed getting the speed run achievement here. From figuring out a strategy to flipping that switch block as quickly as possible, to finding various ways to utilize the Cape to shave off time, this felt like a very tightly designed course and utilized the Cape quite well.

Seesaw Spelunking: Another fun and tight level. I appreciated the inclusion of the seesaws as an overall theme and I thought overall they were implemented very well into the design of the level.

Wishing Well: Typically water levels suffer from being, well...water levels. I thought it was quite clever making the player travel down. It kept the pacing up and allowed for some interesting alternate paths and rewarded exploration in fun ways, especially with the fun use of the Spike Cap.

Dour Desert: I also really had fun with refining my path to earn the speed run achievement in this one. You consistently seem to manage to craft fun areas utilizing the cape's flight and glide abilities, and the geyser was a clever and thematic way to give the Cape to the player.

Mysterious Mansion: I enjoyed the structure here and the layout of each room/challenge felt good. It had just enough of a "puzzle feel" to be fitting as a Ghost House level without ever becoming overly frustrating like many Ghost House levels can sometimes be.

Slippery Slopes: I'm always a fan of having alternate paths from time to time. Giving small Mario some fun paths to take advantage of his smaller size should be featured in more levels (I need to do this too). This had the most difficult secret Star for me to get personally, but I don't believe I ended up finding the one in 6 or 8 yet.

Castle of Chaos: You did a great job laying out the tracks for the obstacles/powerups throughout this level, as I had a lot of fun navigating around the various obstacles as I went. But for whatever reason, I was simply unable to position Mario on that one moving platform correctly to get inside the levitating door after that checkpoint. I must have tried 10 times before giving up and moving on. The boss fight was a lot of fun and clearly I can see where one of your other levels got its inspiration from. :P I still need to find the secret boss, though!

I meant to share my feedback way sooner so I could have more things to comment on (as the earlier levels were fresher on my mind a week ago), but I remember these thoughts standing out in my mind after playing through each one. Overall it was an extremely enjoyable time and felt like they each could have been stages pulled straight out of a legit Mario World game, so awesome job!

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you so much man! I'm deep in Celeste right now desperately trying to beat the DLC so I haven't been in Mario Maker for over a week and I'm behind on the thread, but I had to respond here.

I'm so glad people enjoy that little experiment of mine. What's amazing/amusing about people finding routes through those levels is that (I think) nobody has found the route(s) I designed. Both Plains and Desert have intended routes that entirely skip powerups altogether (although I made the speedrun achievement pretty generous based on my route). I haven't checked lately but it'd be awesome if players had found a faster route.

When I'm through with Celeste I'll record a quick run that shows the intended route sometime. For now I'm just happy people like it!

Edit: Went ahead and recorded the "intended" route through Peaceful Plains.

I actually designed the entire level around this route. I built a series of timed jumps on a blank canvas, then built obstacles and environments around this path. The cape was placed for secrets, not for speed. But then end result worked out really well; there are a lot of different ways to attack the level.

Last edited:

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
Super cute. You'll have a savvy gamer child in no time. Just keep him off Era!! :P

In positive news, I broke 7000 maker points today which is nifty.
Oh man, no Era until he's 18!

Gratz about the score! Still need to check out your latest, haven't been playing much lately (I have started a new level though, even though I meant to stop for a while, but I came up with an idea about something extremely simple and quick, and then started overcomplicating it as usual...)

Last edited:

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
In positive news, I broke 7000 maker points today which is nifty.

Congrats!
I reached 5000 points myself yesterday, and I'm quite happy about it. I doubt I'll go much further as the ideas are getting difficult to come up with. I'm working on yet another Ghost House with some new tech somebody showed me in a troll level, but after that, I don't know. We'll see.

Also, the Process (TM), totally failed me lately. One of my levels has been over 60 plays with more than 50% like ratio for a few days now, but it never went to popular. I guess there are more criteria to fulfill.

I actually designed the entire level around this route. I built a series of timed jumps on a blank canvas, then built obstacles and environments around this path.

That's such a fun way to build a level. I'd love to do something similar one day.

Oct 25, 2017
That's such a fun way to build a level. I'd love to do something similar one day.

It's definitely interesting to see how the level evolves from that. So many aspects of that level came from me putting obstacles in the player's way so they couldn't just run past my intended route. The pyramid of pipes. The two vertical columns that completely block the screen so you can't just fly all the way over the top. Heck, even the coin placement at the beginning is actually a hint for me to remember when to jump while holding the red shell (you jump at the last coin).

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
This is probably my last level for a little while, so I made it extra confusing...

Déjà Boo 14 : Live. Die. Repeat.

ID: YJM-H7P-3QF

So. There is one trick in this level that is pretty cool.
However, it's also pretty subtle, and I'm sure most people won't see what's happening. I think players will understand what happened but not how it happened, and they probably won't think about it anymore, which is kind of a shame. All of this to say: the trick is pretty cool.

Apart from that, it's probably the most complicated maze in the Déjà Boo series.
It was pretty short at first, but I felt like it resolved itself so... I added confusion. And doors. And pipes. I maxed those out once more.

It can still be done pretty quickly and I don't expect people to timeout, so you see, I'm trying to improve myself. :)
Anyway, hope you guys like it.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Congrats!
I reached 5000 points myself yesterday, and I'm quite happy about it. I doubt I'll go much further as the ideas are getting difficult to come up with. I'm working on yet another Ghost House with some new tech somebody showed me in a troll level, but after that, I don't know. We'll see.

They are taking their sweet time with updating the game. I think that's part of the burn out too. I still have lots of half ideas but some new music, elements and backgrounds would help. A bookmark website would be super useful too. I saw you crossed 5000. I think you'll eventually climb into the 7000s when all is said and done.

Also, the Process (TM), totally failed me lately. One of my levels has been over 60 plays with more than 50% like ratio for a few days now, but it never went to popular. I guess there are more criteria to fulfill.

The average # of players is dropping but the level pool is still increasing. I think that's the main issue I haven't got much activity on my new level and the like rate is over 60%. Most of that is from posting on Reddit or people who follow me playing. Normally I would be getting a solid number of plays from endless but it's been really quiet. Starting to feel Simbad's idea about a free play endless levels app for subscribers. Would boost plays huge.

Simbabbad

Aug 1, 2019
New level:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BBowser%2BJunior%2527s%2BSky%2BFactory.png

Sort of a sequel to Bowser Junior's Sky Fortress, except it's inspired by Sonic instead of Mega Man. The level is actually quite easy to finish, the real challenge being collecting as many coins as possible in an open-ended environment.

--

The average # of players is dropping but the level pool is still increasing. I think that's the main issue I haven't got much activity on my new level and the like rate is over 60%. Most of that is from posting on Reddit or people who follow me playing. Normally I would be getting a solid number of plays from endless but it's been really quiet. Starting to feel Simbad's idea about a free play endless levels app for subscribers. Would boost plays huge.
Eh, told you. Endless needs to push levels with high hearts/visits ratio more (so it's not a torture to play), and create a distinction between the creator pool and the player pool (which needs to be much larger), otherwise it's simply not viable and it can only get worse from here. Adding more tools to the editor won't change anything, neither would adding artificial "rewards" for playing Endless if it's as horrible as it currently is.

Frankly, I currently consider I'm done with the game. I'll play some levels again and probably publish a few, but I certainly won't invest into it as I used to. And I won't renew my online subscription (only took it for this game), which means I'll sell the game eventually. Online actually went worse than SMM1.

--

This is probably my last level for a little while, so I made it extra confusing...

I went to the part where we can see the exit from the door and quit. It's really good in the "eh, what's going on" department, but it's a bit too long for a level where death seems to be mandatory and you always feel like you're running in circle. I still liked it.

Course ID: 1GF-78V-L8G
The level is way too chaotic IMHO, it lacks focus.

Course Name: Bob-Omb's Forest Revenge
Course ID: 54M-T6X-2LF
Extremely pretty level with a distinct look and some great flow. The challenge is perfect. Well done!

Gloom Grotto Gallery

Description: Choose your path wisely to explore and escape this subterranean den.
Tags: Standard, Themed
Difficulty: Easy/Normal
I really enjoyed this level, which at times genuinely feels like coming from Super Mario World. There are parts that feel a bit weird (the Thwomp with two pipes you can't get in, some Piranha Plants that jump at you from off-screen, Boom-Boom near the end), but it's minor.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
New level:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BBowser%2BJunior%2527s%2BSky%2BFactory.png

Sort of a sequel to Bowser Junior's Sky Fortress, except it's inspired by Sonic instead of Mega Man. The level is actually quite easy to finish, the real challenge being collecting as many coins as possible in an open-ended environment.

I played this a few days ago. I really love the style of levels you make. Sad you're gonna peace out soon :(

Eh, told you. Endless needs to push levels with high hearts/visits ratio more (so it's not a torture to play), and create a distinction between the creator pool and the player pool (which needs to be much larger), otherwise it's simply not viable and it can only get worse from here. Adding more tools to the editor won't change anything, neither would adding artificial "rewards" for playing Endless if it's as horrible as it currently is.

Hey, I am not a stubborn one :P I definitely think they could improve the reasons to play Endless. I never play it just because it feels pointless unless I'm score chasing. But overall yeah, I think you are right. They need to either cull the shit out of Endless, create a new curated mode so that we can just skip this bullshit if we dont want it or open the game up to more players.

Frankly, I currently consider I'm done with the game. I'll play some levels again and probably publish a few, but I certainly won't invest into it as I used to. And I won't renew my online subscription (only took it for this game), which means I'll sell the game eventually. Online actually went worse than SMM1.

Well drain your brain of all your ideas now then cause I gotta get your levels while that membership still exists haha.

Extremely pretty level with a distinct look and some great flow. The challenge is perfect. Well done!

Thank ya :)

I've really gotten into a flow of how I make a level work. I sorta have a style now, creation takes a bit but I think my geneeal quality has been getting better. I may try my hand at some shorter stuff. Or port some of my WiiU stuff with enhancements.

Oct 29, 2017
I really enjoyed this level, which at times genuinely feels like coming from Super Mario World. There are parts that feel a bit weird (the Thwomp with two pipes you can't get in, some Piranha Plants that jump at you from off-screen, Boom-Boom near the end), but it's minor.
Thanks so much! It being something that even sometimes feels like it might be out of Super Mario World is the best compliment I could hope for. Fun fact: one of those Thwomp pipes used to lead to a bonus room that was in the underground, but I ended up needing more room for another path before the goal post so I scrapped the bonus room but left the pipes in. I usually like using pipes as decoration and I felt like I needed a few "fake pipes" since there were so many active pipes already, so I left the pipes there. (Another fun fact: based on your feedback on the Thwomp section in Skyway Shipyard 1, I included a Big Coin above the Thwomp in this one for Mario to spin jump to reach or Yoshi to stand on, lol).

As for the Piranha Plants, where did they jump at you from off-screen? Boom-Boom is the closest thing we have to the football bad guys from Mario World, so I put him near the goal post at the end just to have an optional fight/pseudo obstacle (and as a bit of REALLY subtle level lore that I would never truly expect anyone to figure out).

I'll try to get to playing your Sky Factory level soon!

Simbabbad

Aug 1, 2019
As for the Piranha Plants, where did they jump at you from off-screen? Boom-Boom is the closest thing we have to the football bad guys from Mario World, so I put him near the goal post at the end just to have an optional fight/pseudo obstacle (and as a bit of REALLY subtle level lore that I would never truly expect anyone to figure out).
For the Piranha Plants, near the end, if I recall correctly there are three pipes with Piranha Plants jumping out of it, two come from the bottom, and the one in the middle comes from above. The one from above got me and I was "uh, what"? - the pipe was off-screen (at least from what I remember).

The pipes near the Thwomp really feel like there is something up with them (either going in them or something going out of it), so I lasted there longer than necessary and got hit.

As for the football guy, I admit I didn't get the reference, especially since we're underground, it felt strange.

I'll try to remember to play Skyward Shipyard 1 again ;-) !

@Gotdatmoney: I'll probably publish at least two more levels, I have two rather advanced levels in drafts. I'll publish only standard Mario/obstacle course stuff from now on, not complicated stuff like Recto/Verso or my Metroid levels or anything of the sort, something more in line with Spring Breeze.

Oct 29, 2017
For the Piranha Plants, near the end, if I recall correctly there are three pipes with Piranha Plants jumping out of it, two come from the bottom, and the one in the middle comes from above. The one from above got me and I was "uh, what"? - the pipe was off-screen (at least from what I remember).

The pipes near the Thwomp really feel like there is something up with them (either going in them or something going out of it), so I lasted there longer than necessary and got hit.

As for the football guy, I admit I didn't get the reference, especially since we're underground, it felt strange.

I'll try to remember to play Skyward Shipyard 1 again ;-) !
Hmm, so weird that every iteration of my playtests I never noticed the top one being off screen, it must be a camera thing I didn't account for if you jumped from below or something. As for Skyward Shipyard, feel free to play it again but just to make sure my statement was clear, the feedback you shared with me about my Thwomps in that stage inspired me to put the coin above the Thwomp in Gloom Grotto. :)

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
I think Nintendo wasted their chance by not having concrete post-release support plans enacted from day one.

I'm not talking about updates/improvements or new features only, but also special events, competitions, a goddamn website/app to check your level stats/look for more levels to add to a queue, curated level lists or some way to recommend good levels, or... even some communication from a community manager instead of total radio silence.
Then updates/improvements and eventually new features.

Would have done wonders for player retention.

Instead, despite the (mostly underwhelming) new additions, the overall experience with SMM2 has been vastly inferior to the first game, at least for me.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I think Nintendo wasted their chance by not having concrete post-release support plans enacted from day one.

I'm not talking about updates/improvements or new features only, but also special events, competitions, a goddamn website/app to check your level stats/look for more levels to add to a queue, curated level lists or some way to recommend good levels, or... even some communication from a community manager instead of total radio silence.
Then updates/improvements and eventually new features.

Would have done wonders for player retention.

Instead, despite the (mostly underwhelming) new additions, the overall experience with SMM2 has been vastly inferior to the first game, at least for me.

Yeah, we should have heard about something already. The lack of website is particularly dumb. I'd also like to be able to recommend a course to a friend.

I think (hope) they'll release a quite meaty update in November to put the spot light on the game before holyday period.

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like the game could benefit from a "2.0" relaunch of sorts, coupled with a full fledged website/app that helps users/levels gain visibility and sharing options. It's insane how bare bones the social features are, and the lack of regular events and updates is criminal.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
For a game that lives and dies by its community, they have done nothing to actually improve the community experience at all.

I think thats one of the major issues. I'm not bored of the game at all. I'm annoyed that we have to do all the work to make the experience good however.

I think the things they added to the game (new themes, 3D World, clear conditions, vertical levels, scroll stop, online multiplayer) dont get credit foe how much better they make the game than Mario Maker 1. I have lots of ideas for levels still but I wanna see what additions they make before just burning all my ideas. I stopped playing MM1 because I reached the end point of what I could do. Nowhere near there with MM2

But the total lack of updates or things to expect makes it a crap shoot. I want communities and new modes and new tools to play with and a fucking bookmark website. Mario Maker 1 didnt even launch with checkpoint or progressive power ups. In the beginning the game was not in good shape imo. 16 digit codes to sharw levels also sucked.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
I guess my "mostly underwhelming" was a bit excessive. I was mostly thinking of the half baked 3D World style and the small set of additions to course elements (but the ON/OFF switches alone offer some incredible possibilities). For some reason I did not consider features such as vertical levels and scroll stops.

They really dropped the ball on the community/player experience side though.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, we should have heard about something already. The lack of website is particularly dumb. I'd also like to be able to recommend a course to a friend.

I think (hope) they'll release a quite meaty update in November to put the spot light on the game before holyday period.

It wouldn't even have to be a website.

This game is practically the ideal thing to use the Nintendo switch online app, so why it didn't have support day one baffles me.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I guess my "mostly underwhelming" was a bit excessive. I was mostly thinking of the half baked 3D World style and the small set of additions to course elements (but the ON/OFF switches alone offer some incredible possibilities). For some reason I did not consider features such as vertical levels and scroll stops.

Yeah, a lot of the levels I made used the new additions to the game. I could have made a few of the levels without them but stuff I made like Sky City or A Cool Stroll Back would never have been possible without all the new things they added. I think your issue is valid though. They added way more functionality and not much in the way of enemies and objects. Fire Bros being 3D World exclusive for example is dumb.

They really dropped the ball on the community/player experience side though.

Agreed.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I got really excited last night when I saw they were doing server maintenance but then of course it was nothing. The radio silence has really been incredible, Nintendo has never treated any of their ongoing titles like this and it feels like a total reversal of their recent trend of relatively increased transparency. I feel like there must be some weird behind the scenes issues going on, between the messaging before release being all over the place and the silence since then, it's hard to imagine that this is how they intended the game to go

I hit the slopes limit so early in my new level I was working on, I was making a level set in a beehive and it looks really good with honeycombs made from slopes, but I grossly underestimated how many slopes I was using and ran out less than halfway through what I intended to build. A real bummer since I was already planning on reusing most of the level geometry anyway and using on/off blocks to make the 2nd time around different. Oh well, that one will go in the vault for now, maybe I can come up with some way to salvage it in the future

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
I hit the slopes limit so early in my new level I was working on, I was making a level set in a beehive and it looks really good with honeycombs made from slopes, but I grossly underestimated how many slopes I was using and ran out less than halfway through what I intended to build. A real bummer since I was already planning on reusing most of the level geometry anyway and using on/off blocks to make the 2nd time around different. Oh well, that one will go in the vault for now, maybe I can come up with some way to salvage it in the future
Don't forget: Slopes are grouped with Mushroom platforms, semi solids, bridges, pipes, conveyor belts, and vines. Limit is 200 per world.

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a positive community experience in SMM2, but almost none of that is thanks to Nintendo: it's that years of SMM1 meant that SMM2 launched into a mature community infrastructure where people already knew how to run code exchange threads or viewer level streams, and third-party tools like Warp World were on the ball even without the benefit of public-facing bookmark data. Dropping the ball on community features is unfortunate, but not as damaging as it could have been because SMM already had a scene (indeed, several scenes) that knew how to run things independently.

There's one social feature I'll give Nintendo credit for—a rather obvious thing that was my top non-editor request going into this game—and that's an easily visible "latest courses by your favourite makers" feed. (I'm in the midst of another big catch-up round after coming up for air from FE again, and I don't know how I'd live without it.) But there are so many other things they could be doing with this, like playlist creation and sharing (which would also provide a tool for people to distribute course packs like connected worlds or group projects).

Showing other people something cool that you saw—and feeding it more plays—is something that should be a central interaction outside of the game, but which has actually taken a huge step back from SMM due to the loss of bookmarks; and not just the bookmark site, but bookmarks on the whole. People keep asking for bookmarks to be implemented in the mobile app but I actually want it accessible in any browser as before.

As with SMM1, though (especially now that the new stylus sensitivity setting is in, which removes one frustration), I'm still having a blast every time I hop into the editor just to experiment with the kit, even though none of this has translated into a finished product in the past several weeks. The feature set is indeed light on enemies but generous with new mechanics and styles that, three months from launch, already feel like they've been part of the Mario fabric all along. We're nowhere near pushing them to their full potential, and I've been trying to squeeze some use out of new discoveries or niche interactions every time I sit down with the editor.

At the same time, the quality and scope of updates in SMM1 set a high standard for patch content, and in that department SMM2 hasn't shown its hand at all. I'm not even talking about the obvious inclusions like progressive power-ups, key doors, and checkpoints that felt noticeably absent from SMM1 on day one, but elements like bumpers that filled an extremely precise and useful design function that players didn't necessarily think to request.

I'll be quite sad to see you go as well. I caught up on your profile fairly late (and I think you re-uploaded most of what I played back in August) but I was really impressed with the flow of the levels and found several of them quite fun to replay. It wasn't a surprise at all to see that CaptainMatilder had taken the time to lock down so many of the speed records, as these are levels where fine-tuning a good route is very rewarding and feels like something worth doing. It's unfortunate that the NSO subscription paywall makes pulling out of the game such a definite, black-or-white decision.

I came across a rumour a few weeks back that levels by people whose subscriptions lapse get pulled from the server, which sounded like an absolute fiasco (but a believable one given Nintendo's tendency to bungle this kind of thing), but I'm relieved to find that this has been debunked. So even if you're selling the game and not coming back, and won't be around to enjoy the comments or likes, I can still pass on your level codes. Heaven knows I did that for a ton of people in SMM1 who hadn't plugged in their Wii Us for years.

On a design-related note: the regulars here have probably seen these already, but I enjoyed this series of videos on subtle differences between SMM1 and SMM2. The first one in the set was a massive hit with over a million views, so I'm sure you all know it, but I was pleased to see that it's still going. Even if you didn't play SMM1, these reveal some subtleties about the SMM2 engine that I definitely wouldn't have uncovered by myself (like the seemingly nonsensical rules for how semisolid stacking is resolved in SMM2, which was an absolute pain in the neck in some of my earlier levels, as sometimes the editor will display one thing but your actual course data will save another thing).

Among smaller channels, I'm surprised at the comparatively low view counts for Tobias Bergdorf, who has recently been working on his Item Breakdown series—tiny, succinct featurettes that go through items in the palette and provide a reference for their interactions and rules. Most of the content won't be news to people here, I'm sure (I learnt a lot of the !-block trickery in the example below from mclem's 3DW puzzles), but usually there is at least one little thing that jumps out at me as something I hadn't tested or figured out systematically.

I'm sitting on a huge pile of codes from outside of Era that I want to share with all of you, but I'm still catching up on that queue myself (and I'm about two weeks behind with this community), so it might be some time before I put this together.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

However, it's also pretty subtle, and I'm sure most people won't see what's happening. I think players will understand what happened but not how it happened, and they probably won't think about it anymore, which is kind of a shame. All of this to say: the trick is pretty cool.

Apart from that, it's probably the most complicated maze in the Déjà Boo series.
It was pretty short at first, but I felt like it resolved itself so... I added confusion. And doors. And pipes. I maxed those out once more.

It can still be done pretty quickly and I don't expect people to timeout, so you see, I'm trying to improve myself. :)

I got stuck :(

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget: Slopes are grouped with Mushroom platforms, semi solids, bridges, pipes, conveyor belts, and vines. Limit is 200 per world.
It was all the slopes. Each honeycomb took four and if I had planned it out before hand I would have known that only 45ish honeycombs would barely get me three screens of action. This was the look I was going for, I love it so so much, so in time I might return to it to salvage a nice, short level out of it. The idea was that you would go in the hive and all of the worker bees would start out as friendly goombrats, but then you fight the queen bee, a giant boom boom with wings, angering the hive and making a bunch of flying bees, previously spawnblocked, chase after you.

EEy1KXEUEAEz6U7

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It was all the slopes. Each honeycomb took four and if I had planned it out before hand I would have known that only 45ish honeycombs would barely get me three screens of action. This was the look I was going for, I love it so so much, so in time I might return to it to salvage a nice, short level out of it. The idea was that you would go in the hive and all of the worker bees would start out as friendly goombrats, but then you fight the queen bee, a giant boom boom with wings, angering the hive and making a bunch of flying bees, previously spawnblocked, chase after you.

EEy1KXEUEAEz6U7

This is legit so dope.

Best bet is to look for pictures of beehives and see if there are any patterns you can use that don't need slopes then integrate them in to save space. 200 slopes per world/subworld is a lot if you ration your space and use your warp pipes well.

aeh

Sep 12, 2019
Germany
What are your favorite online levels so far?
On Reddit I saw a Space Defender v3 Level, did someone test this already? :o Looks super cool, but had no time to try it out!

Simbabbad

Aug 1, 2019
It was all the slopes. Each honeycomb took four and if I had planned it out before hand I would have known that only 45ish honeycombs would barely get me three screens of action. This was the look I was going for, I love it so so much, so in time I might return to it to salvage a nice, short level out of it.
I saw a SM3DW level with that look. The solution can be to make larger hexagons, you won't use as much slopes, and the shape is interesting for level design.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Stuck as in "I'm stuck in this room with no way out, shame on Wijuci" or "I'm stuck in this level running in circle and slowly going mad from confusion, good job Wijuci"? ^^

Second one. But I eventually just gave up. I can usually figure stuff like this out so just going in endless circles was enough for me to tap out. Maybe its obvious and I missed it but if it isnt perhaps a little more clarity would help

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Second one. But I eventually just gave up. I can usually figure stuff like this out so just going in endless circles was enough for me to tap out. Maybe its obvious and I missed it but if it isnt perhaps a little more clarity would help

Oh don't worry, it's far from obvious.
The main "trick" of the level (what's going on with the checkpoint) is particularly confusing.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Simbabbad, this is for you.

EE23JUtVAAAkwZ2

Speedy Tiny Wee Boo : 759-DJS-NMG
Speedy Tiny Wee Boo Two : CYB-1C9-WLG

As promised a few weeks ago, I finally made a speedrun Ghost House.
And since making speedruns is not very time consuming, I made two of them last night.

So here they are, two very short and silly Ghost House levels in the same spirit as my Déjà Boo series but in tiny 20 seconds chunks. The first one is an actual maze in 20 seconds, whereas the second one is more like a glorified tech demo.
I very much doubt they will be popular, but at least I had fun making them, and I hope you enjoy them for what they are: abominations against the very nature of Ghost House and a treason of everything I stand for!

Simbabbad

Aug 1, 2019
I love how "I died twice because of the time limit and it wasn't very fun" => "Oh, you enjoy speedruns" :-p !

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
With Collection of Mana,I had to take a break to finish Trials of mana.
I had 2 levels in the making and managed to finish this one

Super Boom's Blazing Furnace
M1Q-FXV-WYG

Heavily inspired by Yoshi's Island (the 1st phase is literally lifted from a certain level).
The idea at the start was to get 4 keys to get to the end because I already needed the red coins.
But in the end the level proved far too complex to manage this way (on top of that it meant you needed to finish all the trials in 1 go).
So I removed the early red coins and used them like they were meant to be used.
Also there's a special exit that's probably harder to get than finishing the level in 1 go.

There's plenty of ways to make the level easier but you have to earn it and explore a little.
Also for once, the time limit isn't so darn close to a normal playthrough.
I'm so bad at estimating how long a level can last...

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Sorry about the doublepost, since it's comments on level people posted at least this way I'm the people who posted get a notification.
i re made/ made a sequel to my level from mario maker 1 Bowser's tank fortress 2

This one felt a bit unfocused.
The end had far too much going on.
I'm also not a fan of big bowser because he either requires a star or something to kill him or takes way too long

I don't really know how that's possible but it felt like I took a checkpoint but I respawned to another similar checkpoint?
Took me a while to wrap my head around.
Some part you can see the strings leading the player but other times it's far more obscure.

New level:

Figures that exactly when I come back people are leaving -_-'
Can't really blame you, the game is not as interesting to play as SMM1 to me.
The fact that I can't edit on a touchscreen while using the tv is not helping but with a stylus (thank you GamExplain for that one) it alleviates the issue somewhat.
The community aspect is a total downgrade.
After literal years of just having to post links that people could add to their queue, it's back to sharing meaningless codes.
No easy way to share the levels without having to care about the level codes.
You would think with their heavy use of Qr codes for most things they would provide a Qr code to go along the online app to get to the level but nope.
The app is just for Splatoon and SSBU because no other Nintendo games are online heavy apparently.
STILL no way to get people from the friendlist to the Mario Maker user and viceversa.
Mario 3D World I warmed up on it, it just feels really different and not really cohesive with the other themes.
Simbabbad, this is for you.

EE23JUtVAAAkwZ2

Speedy Tiny Wee Boo : 759-DJS-NMG
Speedy Tiny Wee Boo Two : CYB-1C9-WLG

As promised a few weeks ago, I finally made a speedrun Ghost House.
And since making speedruns is not very time consuming, I made two of them last night.

So here they are, two very short and silly Ghost House levels in the same spirit as my Déjà Boo series but in tiny 20 seconds chunks. The first one is an actual maze in 20 seconds, whereas the second one is more like a glorified tech demo.
I very much doubt they will be popular, but at least I had fun making them, and I hope you enjoy them for what they are: abominations against the very nature of Ghost House and a treason of everything I stand for!
Ok so the 1st one I can't say I'm a big fan since I didn't really get it.
the 2nd one kinds of open up in a good way.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Re: Déjà Boo 14 (YJM-H7P-3QF)

I don't really know how that's possible but it felt like I took a checkpoint but I respawned to another similar checkpoint?

Yes!
It's a really fun trick, and since most people don't realize what's happening I put a more "In Your Face" version of the tech in my second speedrun level.

Re: Speedy Tiny Wee Boo (759-DJS-NMG)

Ok so the 1st one I can't say I'm a big fan since I didn't really get it.

Did you finish it?
There isn't much to get, it's just a speedy version of the trick used in Déjà Boo 8 and 9. But if you don't finish it you can't see the trick.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
More or less returned to the game. Had to take a break after having a burnout for playing the game over 350 hours since launch. Of course, Nintendo's lack of support for this game doesn't help in any way. Not even talking about adding more content but some quality of life improvements (descriptions visible when playing a course, bookmark website/app, seeing your followed list to play specific courses). I also returned with a new mindset. For now on I will completely ignore the Endless Mode. Chasing some leaderboard medals isn't worth it. Don't have the time for that and since over 95 % of courses in that mode totally suck, it's not a pleasant experience at all. More time for creator mode and playing resetera or other cool courses.

I was invited to a twitter group consisting of the best of course creators (according to the leaderboard anyway). All of them are great people and we had a lot of interesting discussions there about Super Mario Maker 2. However, we don't share the same mindset. Chasing the leaderboards, chasing medals and costumes. Purposely losing VS matches to get ranked down to D and there having a better chance getting the 10-wins-in-a-row challenge done, pumping out 20s speedruns after 20s speedruns because the general userbase likes those the most, not because you like building them et cetera. Again, I don't blame them. It's just not my world, so I left.

Didn't really play the game for several weeks and I am still in the top 50 of course creators. That's kinda cool for sure. Although my last two courses didn't really get the same amount of plays/likes like the rest of my portfolio, I still stand behind them. Especially my latest course probably got a ton of boos because people mistaking it for a luck based pick-a-path course. It's not. It definitely deserves critic tho. The checkpoint placement is not ideal and the later signs in the course can be difficult to understand. Still, I am proud of it. If you haven't played it already, please give it a try. Here are some tips:

You don't have to press every single ON/OFF block.
Go through the door and read the sign. Your current position is the topleft. You have to go to the bottomleft. So you have to go the to very right first and then travel back to the left. Look at the sign and remember when you have to press the ON/OFF block to change tracks.
The sign is broken. And you have to puzzle it together. Solution in the next spoiler.
c740bda83e24172f5ab3951d11339845.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, currently working myself through my courses backlog. It doesn't help that some of you people are able to pump out high quality course after high quality course like Wijuci or Simbabbad haha. Also glad to see QuixoticNeutral returned. I will play a ton of courses the next days. After that, it's back to creating. Stay tuned.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Oh don't worry, it's far from obvious.
The main "trick" of the level (what's going on with the checkpoint) is particularly confusing.

Always rubs me wrong when I can't figure out a level :(

Maybe I will return to it and give it another shot.

As a side note, someone going through your whole catalog and not liking any of the levels is the fucking worst.If you bothered to play everything I published in a 1 hour span you obviously are enjoying them so why not toss a like? #EndRant

More or less returned to the game. Had to take a break after having a burnout for playing the game over 350 hours since launch. Of course, Nintendo's lack of support for this game doesn't help in any way. Not even talking about adding more content but some quality of life improvements (descriptions visible when playing a course, bookmark website/app, seeing your followed list to play specific courses). I also returned with a new mindset. For now on I will completely ignore the Endless Mode. Chasing some leaderboard medals isn't worth it. Don't have the time for that and since over 95 % of courses in that mode totally suck, it's not a pleasant experience at all. More time for creator mode and playing resetera or other cool courses.

I was invited to a twitter group consisting of the best of course creators (according to the leaderboard anyway). All of them are great people and we had a lot of interesting discussions there about Super Mario Maker 2. However, we don't share the same mindset. Chasing the leaderboards, chasing medals and costumes. Purposely losing VS matches to get ranked down to D and there having a better chance getting the 10-wins-in-a-row challenge done, pumping out 20s speedruns after 20s speedruns because the general userbase likes those the most, not because you like building them et cetera. Again, I don't blame them. It's just not my world, so I left.

Yeah this is really a crux of the issue I find in terms of looking at the popular tabs and top makers and aspiring to be one. You got there just making levels you really like and that were what you wanted to make and that's awesome. There is no reason to deviate from that mentality. I don't really believe in clout chasing by making stuff just for popularity personally. But then again, when you operate in the world of top 100 makers with huge followings maybe it's different. But of the people on Era who are in that bracket all make levels I personally think are great and seem more about making what you want and hoping people like it.

I dunno, the talent in the leaderboards is obviously there but it seems like what gets popular a lot of the time is about offering easy digestible things above everything else. Like, not to be a hater but one of the highest ranking levels in weeklys right now is a don't trust anything type level and while its good fun, there isn't any real intricate design or anything really cool in it. You see the crazy levels of work and testing that goes into some of the levels here and on reddit and then you see a 20s speedrun that I could sleep through and it really highlights the divergence in the games fanbase and a lot of makers. At this point I don't see anything I make blowing up big but that's fine. I really like the stuff I make and encourage people to make what they like and share with a community above just making stuff for likes.

Anyway, currently working myself through my courses backlog. It doesn't help that some of you people are able to pump out high quality course after high quality course like Wijuci or Simbabbad haha. Also glad to see QuixoticNeutral returned. I will play a ton of courses the next days. After that, it's back to creating. Stay tuned.

"Begins anticipating"

i re made/ made a sequel to my level from mario maker 1 Bowser's tank fortress 2

I would agree with the general consensus that the stage is a little unfocused. I think the bowser fight being in a sub world would probably due the level better to refocus the player on an objective. I don't mind the rest but if you don't kill Bowser with a star the level become exponentially more difficult.

With Collection of Mana,I had to take a break to finish Trials of mana.
I had 2 levels in the making and managed to finish this one

Super Boom's Blazing Furnace
M1Q-FXV-WYG

Heavily inspired by Yoshi's Island (the 1st phase is literally lifted from a certain level).
The idea at the start was to get 4 keys to get to the end because I already needed the red coins.
But in the end the level proved far too complex to manage this way (on top of that it meant you needed to finish all the trials in 1 go).
So I removed the early red coins and used them like they were meant to be used.
Also there's a special exit that's probably harder to get than finishing the level in 1 go.

There's plenty of ways to make the level easier but you have to earn it and explore a little.
Also for once, the time limit isn't so darn close to a normal playthrough.
I'm so bad at estimating how long a level can last...

The yoshi's island (GOAT platformer) influence is apparent haha. I liked the level overall. Only thing I had an issue with which is a personal preference above a real criticism is I dislike when snake blocks do staircases and into out of lava patterns often because it makes the levels go slower and it feels more like the length of the level is being extended artificially. Again, just a personal dislike though. Overall very solid.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
oh i will.i stll wish nintendo would let you bring over the wii u ver. levels tho >_>

There were a lot of mechanics changes going from SMM1 to SMM2. It would have been cool to import our levels but have to re upload them but the one thing I like about the method they used is fresh game, fresh levels. A lot of people would have just upload old levels and you'd see a lot of regurgitation. Also, since SMM1 let you open the editor for other peoples levels you would see a lot of stolen stuff too.

I do want to eventually port over my WiiU library. I may actually start soon if I can get my WiiU to work.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
With all the subtle (and sometimes frankly pointless) differences between the two games, having to remake the levels is actually better, as you get more chances to notice them before uploading. If you could just import your levels, you would probably miss plenty of minor stuff.