• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

canonj

Oct 27, 2017
Really cool course with a fun idea. Trickier than it seems at first and it took me a few lives to beat. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/497880899?t=29m20s

Thanks for playing. I lol'd a few times during your play through!

Got started on my next level, taking advantage of the least used tileset in the game. I somehow went more than 3 months not realizing that this existed and I bet most of you guys did too, because why would you want to make an underwater level, let alone an underwater castle?

EHeaCGMU8AYeaFW

Yup, I've never seen this theme before. At first I thought it was a SMB2 mock up.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I need J-Spot to know that "who stole my goal" was ace.

Even before the fun story gimmick, the stage itself is just a dang solid and clean bit of mario platforming.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Played a few of the recent courses from this thread on stream tonight, so wanted to share my thoughts.

I thought this was a really fun, traditional-style course that is perfect for new players. Small amount of challenge with good spacing between enemies. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/497880899?t=17m06s

Thanks for playing and showing it on stream. I didn't realize I screwed up the scroll stop. I tested it so many times, but at some point I either moved the pipe or filled in the wall which reframed the room and broke the scroll stop. =_=

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Dear god this level took me forever to do.
Multiple paths like always, a bit like Sonic, the better you are, the faster you are and the more likely you are to be on the upper path
Thwomp Jungle
X35-KQB-KJG
EH0alosUcAA7ppv.jpg:large

The base of the level is cribbed from Yoshi's Island because I feel l like that game encompasses what I like in a platformer and then I basically find ways to make the rest work and provide an adequate challenge.
let me know what you guys think of it and if anything is amiss or what I could do to improve.

Now onto playing the levels you guys pushed lately.

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I've had this game for awhile and started to finally make some levels. I'd love some feedback and hope people can enjoy my levels!

Jungle Stack Trek
SMV-M5J-GSF

Trek through the jungle and discover that the local enemy species have learned the real super power of teamwork!
Just so you know this code is wrong.
It's SWV-M5J-GSF
It's good, it always seemed like there was something on the upper path I could never reach at first, otherwise it's good.
That part with the seesaws was a bit random to me, you can power through it so it's ok.

Slippery Wintery Wonderland
83L-FSM-LJF

Throwback course to the original Super Mario Bros. Wanted it to feel like a course from SMB1, except with ice and icicles.
Really loved that one!
Not too simple or too complex.
There's a real nice flow to this level. if there's one thing I'd say is that the underground passage don't act as a way to go forward like it would in SMB.
Otherwise really great level.

A new Halloween-themed course.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark

Course ID: DTS-C8P-DXF

While fleeing a raging thunderstorm, Mario takes shelter in a desolate mansion. But a chill runs down his spine and he soon discovers the power is... dead. Mario must use the lightning flashes outside to navigate his way out of this horrible hideaway.

EWpLfg5.jpg

ltJasfh.jpg
That was really fun!
The dark really sells the mood well with blocked path were you would expect to be able to continue and everything!
My daughter begged me to make a new course this morning and I did.

Dry Bones Desert Dunes
8FP-6TK-TTG

It's the first new course I made since August. I thought it was easy, but she can't beat it so maybe it's not... >_>
This level is good I think some of the placement may throw people off a bit depending on what they're used to play.
The sublevel should really have a camera block, it's a bit jarring otherwise it's a fine relaxing level.
I finally finished my bee level, and I think it turned out pretty well. It has a little bit of everything, easy parts, hard parts, autoscroll sections, bosses, lots of 1-ups, everything you could ask for, at least as far as the object limit will allow. The screenshot is a little different now, but that's basically what it looks like

Boom Boom Bumble!
B80-MGF-FDG
Beware, Bothersome Bees have Breached the Backyard. Buzz off Boom Boom!

EEy1KXEUEAEz6U7
That level looks awesome but seriously the bees are ruthless.
Interestingly the bigger bee is harder to kill than 2 regular bees.
The theme is really well made good job.
I kinda want to see how it would look like in other styles (I mean same map but different styles)

Oct 25, 2017
I finally finished my bee level, and I think it turned out pretty well. It has a little bit of everything, easy parts, hard parts, autoscroll sections, bosses, lots of 1-ups, everything you could ask for, at least as far as the object limit will allow. The screenshot is a little different now, but that's basically what it looks like

Boom Boom Bumble!
B80-MGF-FDG

EEy1KXEUEAEz6U7

Really enjoyed this one. Bumped my head a lot in the honeycomb layout, but I just needed to get used to the space I was working with. When I walked into the main area and saw the on/off blocking setup where you pass through the hive twice, I was concerned this might play as a bit repetitive, but you introduced just enough variation between the two passes to keep things interesting. I thought the Rocky Wrenches in the boss area were pushing it, since there is so little room to work with, but I generally think Rocky Wrenches are challenging to implement well because of the visibility issues with their projectiles (something I've run up against in my own designs as well). The fights were still fun, and maybe the way to compensate for this would not be to remove anything, but to provide an additional cell of vertical spacing so you actually have room to bounce around or jump over the enemies—but I don't know if your level had any room left to work with at that point.

Still a memorable design, in any case. One of the best uses I've seen of flying Boom Boom, who is often more irritating than welcome. As I said in a comment card, it's like this takes us full circle back to Super Mario Galaxy where the hive-climbing levels were also a musical throwback to SMB3. (Beehives are an underrated platforming trope, come to think of it: they account for some of my favourite stages in both Tropical Freeze and Cuphead.)

Eraser_Arcade

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a ghostly theme level that I made for Giant Bomb's Get on My Level.

The Chilly Manor

Course ID: L2W-PWM-2RF

While I have no idea if Ben or Dan will ever play it, I am curious on what anyone here may think of my level. I don't believe the level to be too hard, but it did took me awhile to upload it, because of not being able to rely on the checkpoint in the midpoint of the course.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
This will be my final upload. For now.

EH38rikU0AE6NOq

Déjà Boo 19 : The Crying Skull
ID: 477-202-CYF

I'm not crying! You're crying!

As I said, I expect this to be my final upload for a good while. Because of real life stuff and then Pokémon, I don't think I'll be building new levels anytime soon. And I was so close to make 20 of those!

This one is on the easy side, especially if you played the other ones, but I did manage to find one or two new tricks that you will enjoy.

As always, thank you for playing, all of those, and I hope you enjoy it.

Last edited:

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Since more than one person called me out on the broken scroll stop I deleted my last course and reuploaded it with a few minor changes and a working scroll stop. Feel free to give it another go (and a new "Like").

Dry Bones Desert Dunes
SH4-K6K-PNF

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished another level, themed around a subway at rush hour, with enemies getting on at every stop. It's a little gimmicky, but I think it came out pretty well. It also takes advantage of some odd mechanics that are only possible in the night castle theme.

Submerged Subway, Scarlet Sector
B00-9GL-6VF
Rush hour? I Suppose it's Superior to Sitting Sadly Stuck on the Street...

EH5jjbNU8AAvFbV

That level looks awesome but seriously the bees are ruthless.
Interestingly the bigger bee is harder to kill than 2 regular bees.
The theme is really well made good job.
I kinda want to see how it would look like in other styles (I mean same map but different styles)
Some are ok, but SMB3 jungle is horrific. And oddly enough in the NSMB screenshot you can see that for some reason, you can't spawn block winged boom booms, at least with a single block, like you can in other themes.
EH5jjbFU4AEfz4J

EH5jjbIUcAAtX2O

Really enjoyed this one. Bumped my head a lot in the honeycomb layout, but I just needed to get used to the space I was working with. When I walked into the main area and saw the on/off blocking setup where you pass through the hive twice, I was concerned this might play as a bit repetitive, but you introduced just enough variation between the two passes to keep things interesting. I thought the Rocky Wrenches in the boss area were pushing it, since there is so little room to work with, but I generally think Rocky Wrenches are challenging to implement well because of the visibility issues with their projectiles (something I've run up against in my own designs as well). The fights were still fun, and maybe the way to compensate for this would not be to remove anything, but to provide an additional cell of vertical spacing so you actually have room to bounce around or jump over the enemies—but I don't know if your level had any room left to work with at that point.

Still a memorable design, in any case. One of the best uses I've seen of flying Boom Boom, who is often more irritating than welcome. As I said in a comment card, it's like this takes us full circle back to Super Mario Galaxy where the hive-climbing levels were also a musical throwback to SMB3. (Beehives are an underrated platforming trope, come to think of it: they account for some of my favourite stages in both Tropical Freeze and Cuphead.)
Like anything built on a grid, one of the first things I had to decide was how important the grid was and how many compromises I willing to make. At an early point I wasn't being totally accurate with all my honeycombs, I shifted a group up one block to provide some more space, but I brought them back in line with the rest because it was impossible to reconcile with the other units higher up, and due to the strict object limit I didn't have the space to fix it some other way. Going with this kind of unit definitely isn't ideal, but I think it's great for limited cases like this, where like in a house built on a hexagon or circle grid, you can accept the fact that you'll never be able to put anything in the corner. I had initially wanted to fit the vertical part of the level on a single screen, but it proved to be too narrow to work with the hexagon grid, which I think would have helped make the rocky wrenches a little less troublesome. Glad you enjoyed it

canonj

Oct 27, 2017
New Halloween themed level:

Good Well Haunting - 41G-34M-TRF
Traverse the haunted well. Starring Matt Demon as "Big Boo With Wings" (Apologies for the puns.)

Boom Boom Bumble!
B80-MGF-FDG

I love the design and theme of this level, but the 2 boss battles were a bit too difficult for my taste and I wasn't able to finish it. I really enjoyed playing, though!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I had a lot of fun designing this level, Monty Moles are fun enemies to play around with. I hope you enjoy this level!

Buzzy Beetle Express

0CJ-K8T-Q8G

Hop aboard the Buzzy Beetle express train. Look out for passengers trying to board the train on your journey to the goal post.

Dear god this level took me forever to do.
Multiple paths like always, a bit like Sonic, the better you are, the faster you are and the more likely you are to be on the upper path
Thwomp Jungle
X35-KQB-KJG
EH0alosUcAA7ppv.jpg:large

The base of the level is cribbed from Yoshi's Island because I feel l like that game encompasses what I like in a platformer and then I basically find ways to make the rest work and provide an adequate challenge.
let me know what you guys think of it and if anything is amiss or what I could do to improve.

Thanks for playing my levels. I enjoyed this one, nice aesthetic, tough but fair, and a lot of multiple routes. Definitely had a Yoshi's Island vibe if you go for the red coins. I like it!
Just finished another level, themed around a subway at rush hour, with enemies getting on at every stop. It's a little gimmicky, but I think it came out pretty well. It also takes advantage of some odd mechanics that are only possible in the night castle theme.

Submerged Subway, Scarlet Sector
B00-9GL-6VF
Rush hour? I Suppose it's Superior to Sitting Sadly Stuck on the Street...

EH5jjbNU8AAvFbV

Very unique level, I really enjoyed the subway part. Having the subway stops with the water physics made it really fresh & original. My only criticism is that the first part of the level doesn't really flow with the subway part. They feel really disconnected, especially since the subway section is so fun and unique.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Hey all. I don't play this anywhere near as much as I used to, as was evident by my restarting this level I was working on three times because I wasn't happy with how it was working out. However, this final version of 9-2 got to a point where I'm satisfied with it. Hopefully it can't be broken, though!

9-2catmarioscolossalcauj0q.png

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Chyo!! Your boy Money is back with a new level and it's not a bring over from the WiiU game this time. For this level I used the Global Ground feature QuixoticNeutral discussed a little earlier in the thread to make a beat block level. I normally never try out more advanced maker tools so even though conceptually I bet this level has been done a million times I'm really happy with it. It's a decent bit more difficult than the normal levels I make but I think it's more than manageable for the people here. Had a ton of fun designing it using the desert theme and crafting this cool blocky desert visual. I would love if yall played and gave feedback. I present:

Course Name: Desert Block Beat
Course ID: 6DT-GJB-1WF

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
This will be my final upload. For now.

EH38rikU0AE6NOq

Déjà Boo 19 : The Crying Skull
ID: 477-202-CYF

I'm not crying! You're crying!

As I said, I expect this to be my final upload for a good while. Because of real life stuff and then Pokémon, I don't think I'll be building new levels anytime soon. And I was so close to make 20 of those!

This one is on the easy side, especially if you played the other ones, but I did manage to find one or two new tricks that you will enjoy.

As always, thank you for playing, all of those, and I hope you enjoy it.

I played this and it was fun but I died at the second checkpoint and couldn't figure out how to retrigger the wall breaking so I was forced to give it.

Hey all. I don't play this anywhere near as much as I used to, as was evident by my restarting this level I was working on three times because I wasn't happy with how it was working out. However, this final version of 9-2 got to a point where I'm satisfied with it. Hopefully it can't be broken, though!

9-2catmarioscolossalcauj0q.png

Really good stuff with the cat suit. Had a lot of fun with this one!! You're levels all have such a legitimate flow and ebb to them. Dunno how you do it but you do it well. Plus I think the cat suit is an amazingly fun power up to play with.

I got to play the rest of the levels on this page. I have been working through my follows list and now that it is mostly clean I should be clearing out my era log.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I played this and it was fun but I died at the second checkpoint and couldn't figure out how to retrigger the wall breaking so I was forced to give it.

So weird.
There is no wall breaking after the second checkpoint: you go into the pipe on the left of the screen and returns directly to the POW/P-Switch puzzle. Solving it leads directly to the end. :)

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
So weird.
There is no wall breaking after the second checkpoint: you go into the pipe on the left of the screen and returns directly to the POW/P-Switch puzzle. Solving it leads directly to the end. :)

I may need to try it again. All I know is I got to a point where I ran out of time after a wall broke doing the POW/P-Switch room (which I dont get the puzzle but thats another thing entirely) and then I couldnt get that wall to break on restart.

Here's a ghostly theme level that I made for Giant Bomb's Get on My Level.

The Chilly Manor

Course ID: L2W-PWM-2RF

While I have no idea if Ben or Dan will ever play it, I am curious on what anyone here may think of my level. I don't believe the level to be too hard, but it did took me awhile to upload it, because of not being able to rely on the checkpoint in the midpoint of the course.

Decent level. I think you went a little overboard on all the boos though. They get you trapped and/or slow down the level quite a bit.

I had a lot of fun designing this level, Monty Moles are fun enemies to play around with. I hope you enjoy this level!

Buzzy Beetle Express

0CJ-K8T-Q8G

Hop aboard the Buzzy Beetle express train. Look out for passengers trying to board the train on your journey to the goal post.

Fun level. Didn't overstay its welcome, Good challenges and I like the core mechanic. Good job.

Got started on my next level, taking advantage of the least used tileset in the game. I somehow went more than 3 months not realizing that this existed and I bet most of you guys did too, because why would you want to make an underwater level, let alone an underwater castle?

EHeaCGMU8AYeaFW

Fun level, I enjoyed the core theme here. Never seen it quite executed like this. The last stop with Bowser was kind of annoying granted due to how random his movements are. The choo choo part at each stop was super cool.

Slippery Wintery Wonderland
83L-FSM-LJF

Throwback course to the original Super Mario Bros. Wanted it to feel like a course from SMB1, except with ice and icicles.

Very well made traditional course. I think you succeeded at making something feel like a SMB1 level.

Jan 11, 2018
It's weird cause I feel this game is one of my GOTY's, but I haven't ever even played it. I do intend to get it at some point but so far it's given me hours and hours of entertainment just seeing all the great levels out there.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Icefall Peak

HXF-5QR-NFG

The little one has started sleeping at last, so I finally found time to make another level!
Probably a bit harder than my levels usually are, but nothing extreme. It's a fairly traditional platforming level built around jumping from dropping lifts and dry-bones shells.
Gotdatmoney that last one of yours is cool, but brutal! I couldn't quite manage the last section, I need to try again when I'm less sleep deprived.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Icefall Peak

HXF-5QR-NFG

The little one has started sleeping at last, so I finally found time to make another level!
Probably a bit harder than my levels usually are, but nothing extreme. It's a fairly traditional platforming level built around jumping from dropping lifts and dry-bones shells.
Gotdatmoney that last one of yours is cool, but brutal! I couldn't quite manage the last section, I need to try again when I'm less sleep deprived.

The current clear rate is under 3%. In no way did I intend to make the level that difficult. It was suppose to be a good challenge but not this hard. I watched a lot of streamers play it and I kind of figured out some things that were a bit excessive of my main goals. I'm usually pretty good at guaging difficulty but I totally missed the mark here. Still happy with how the design itself turned out though.

I will try your newest but I'm away from the Switch for a week. Watch this be when they finally update the game

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
The current clear rate is under 3%. In no way did I intend to make the level that difficult. It was suppose to be a good challenge but not this hard. I watched a lot of streamers play it and I kind of figured out some things that were a bit excessive of my main goals. I'm usually pretty good at guaging difficulty but I totally missed the mark here. Still happy with how the design itself turned out though.

I will try your newest but I'm away from the Switch for a week. Watch this be when they finally update the game
I have a feeling my new one will end up the same way haha. Of course this is when they'll update the game, when better than the week Pokemon comes out? :p

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I have a feeling my new one will end up the same way haha. Of course this is when they'll update the game, when better than the week Pokemon comes out? :p

If the level is feugo the clear rate dont matter haha.

I had pokemon on preorder but it got cancelled. I'll prob wait for a discount there. That opens up all the Mario Maker time. Granted I need to finish Astral Chain and Crafted World and start Link's Awakening.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
If the level is feugo the clear rate dont matter haha.

I had pokemon on preorder but it got cancelled. I'll prob wait for a discount there. That opens up all the Mario Maker time. Granted I need to finish Astral Chain and Crafted World and start Link's Awakening.
I know the feeling, I'm trying to get Link's Awakening and Luigi's Mansion done before Pokemon, and I've got about 10 games like Cuphead and Obra Dinn waiting to be played... And an hour a day to play if I'm lucky! I'm honestly hoping for a retail game drought after Christmas.

Oct 28, 2017
The Daylight Midnight Express

K76-9K7-0NG

Hop aboard the buzzy beetle train and travel all day and night to reach the goal. Watch out for the sun and moon!

Oct 25, 2017
Those of you still active here seem to be on Reddit far more than I am, so maybe you're ahead of me on this, but I just found out about this excellent contraption guide, which compiles a ton of tech tips in one place and systematically explains some niche object properties you might not have the patience to test yourself.

I haven't uploaded anything in months, but I've been getting back into the editor rather heavily and making technical tests that haven't unfolded into real levels yet. (Still playing levels from this thread whenever I can, as well.) Just going through a document like this should help tremendously with both debugging and brainstorming.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I know the feeling, I'm trying to get Link's Awakening and Luigi's Mansion done before Pokemon, and I've got about 10 games like Cuphead and Obra Dinn waiting to be played... And an hour a day to play if I'm lucky! I'm honestly hoping for a retail game drought after Christmas.

After a week away I finally played your new level!! Looking at its popularity doesn't look like it was as difficult as you thought haha. And a 5% clear rate is good too. Really fun level though. I enjoyed the main mechanic here. Another classic to add to your collection.

K76-9K7-0NG

Hop aboard the buzzy beetle train and travel all day and night to reach the goal. Watch out for the sun and moon!

Cool level. I think I preferred the night portion more than the day portion but overall good theme and good length.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
After a week away I finally played your new level!! Looking at its popularity doesn't look like it was as difficult as you thought haha. And a 5% clear rate is good too. Really fun level though. I enjoyed the main mechanic here. Another classic to add to your collection.
Cheers :) I feel like the meta for what levels can do well is shifting a bit, now that the pool is smaller and 90% of what's there is auto runners and speedruns, decent straight forward platformer levels can actually stand out and do well, instead of getting lost in the mix.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Cheers :) I feel like the meta for what levels can do well is shifting a bit, now that the pool is smaller and 90% of what's there is auto runners and speedruns, decent straight forward platformer levels can actually stand out and do well, instead of getting lost in the mix.

That's probably true as a whole. I still haven't had a level explosion moment myself but I'm still trucking along decently I feel. I do feel like my levels that get in the popular tab do get more plays now compared to earlier in the games life. Still waiting on that update Nintendo :/

In the mean time, new level alert!!

Course Name: Snowy Tundra
Course ID: 9P5-2N3-JYG

A super short traditional SMB3 inspired ice level. Figured I needed something easy after the brutality that was my last level haha

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished up my 10th level. It's sort of an autoscroller on tracks in the snowy night theme, so be sure to remember to duck and stand still sometimes!

Find a Foothold on Frozen Floors
M69-PBS-LVF
Firm Footing is a Fortuitous Find, but Few Floors here Fit that Form.
EJyEORIUwAA44ld

I love the design and theme of this level, but the 2 boss battles were a bit too difficult for my taste and I wasn't able to finish it. I really enjoyed playing, though!
I'm glad you enjoyed what you played, my levels tend to be a little on the difficult side and that's not always for everyone
Fun level, I enjoyed the core theme here. Never seen it quite executed like this. The last stop with Bowser was kind of annoying granted due to how random his movements are. The choo choo part at each stop was super cool.
Bowser was a tough choice for me, I didn't like his patterns in that particular instance that much but the other boss encounters I came up with were even worse.
Icefall Peak

HXF-5QR-NFG

I liked this one a lot. I'm not sure if it was part of the reason I made a snow level, but I can't help but think it might have had a role

A super short traditional SMB3 inspired ice level. Figured I needed something easy after the brutality that was my last level haha
One of my first levels had a similar falling block gimmick, but I never thought about how using a cloud block would allow you to use it without collision detection, I wonder what other things could be used like this...

K76-9K7-0NG

Great level, simple concept and pretty good obstacles. I'll play some of your other levels later

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017

K76-9K7-0NG

Nice level, the idea was well executed. Hard, but the sections were not that long so it wasn't annoying. I could have done without the bouncy randomness of the moles though!

Nice relaxing level, I really liked what you did with the falling clouds as snow.
Just finished up my 10th level. It's sort of an autoscroller on tracks in the snowy night theme, so be sure to remember to duck and stand still sometimes!

M69-PBS-LVF
EJyEORIUwAA44ld
This level is absolutely gorgeous, SMB snow theme is probably my favourite in the game, and night mode just makes it better. Very original idea too, with the lift bouncing around the different tracks. I would say it was a little too difficult for my tastes, with how slippery everything is I think the lift could have been a few blocks wider. It would still have been tough, but there would be less unfair deaths where you just don't have room to maneuver. I still really enjoyed it though.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Chyo yall. It took me a lot longer than a lot of the rest of the squad here but I finally joined the 10k Maker Points club :D

Thanks for all the support in the community, really happy right now. Love this game (even though they need to update this shit) and being apart of the community here. All positive vibes :)

M69-PBS-LVF
EJyEORIUwAA44ld

Really pretty level, the visual design is really striking. Its really hard though. I was the first clear and I really struggled on some parts just due to how the ice physics work on night time levels. Removing a ghost or icicle and here and there and looping some of the tracks if you miss the on off switch could ease the difficulty just enough. Still a ton of fun though so I stuck with it. Even got all the red coins :)

Bowser was a tough choice for me, I didn't like his patterns in that particular instance that much but the other boss encounters I came up with were even worse.

It ultimately was fine. Just wasn't perfectly clean is all :)

One of my first levels had a similar falling block gimmick, but I never thought about how using a cloud block would allow you to use it without collision detection, I wonder what other things could be used like this...

Steal it and try man. I will shamelessly bite ideas I think are cool if I have something interesting I can do with em. No shame my guy!!

Nice relaxing level, I really liked what you did with the falling clouds as snow.

Thanks for playing :)

Oct 25, 2017
I see that several of you have been in the mood for marking the season with the winter theme.

Stop me if you've heard this one: I've been working on my most traditional, linear, puzzle-free platforming level to date—yes, I know I say this every time, and that every time players get stuck on the one vestigial puzzle element anyway—and it's mostly complete, but it may be some time before it's ready to publish and I might work on some other ideas first. I don't know why I'm to drawn to pursuing technical concepts that, however simple they look on the surface, are absolute hell to debug.

This time around I'm designing some new trickery with Chain Chomps, and the pseudorandom element to how they extend from the stumps is driving me up the wall. It's not only difficult to force them to behave reliably, but it's even harder to test. The setups I'm playing with act a little differently depending on how quickly the player scrolls the screen, so I've had to test every segment at different scrolling speeds (and to account for the player deciding to backtrack at any given column that affects the spawn timings), and sometimes I don't pick up an unfixed bug until dozens of attempts later, while I'm busy working on a different part of the stage.

Secretly, I think that solving these problems and stubbornly refusing to compromise with janky edge-case behaviour is what keeps me hooked on the game. Time just disappears when I test and fix, test and fix. It taps into the same space as management/engineering games like Factorio as there is always just one more block I want to tweak, or a huge stretch of repetition where I'm not making any progress but just letting the game run, in order to point me to the next thing that needs to be done.

On a personal note, I think SMM2 is imminently due to surpass BotW as the game with the highest playtime on my Switch. Rounded to the nearest five hours, they're currently tied, but when I sort them on the full software grid, SMM2 is still in second. It's certain to claim the throne by the end of the week. This is a huge landmark for me, and one that I didn't think could happen on this platform when BotW took over my life in 2017 (though FE3H should pass it too by the time I'm truly done with it).

You don't want to know the number. Really, you don't.

K76-9K7-0NG

I recently got back into SMM2 seriously after a few weeks off, and I saw that I had missed all of your levels, so I ran through the whole set just now. I enjoyed a lot of these; you're quite generous about safety nets and points of failure that allow the player to retry on the spot, which is a blind spot for a lot of makers, especially early on. Buzzy trains are right there in the Story Mode, but in both of your takes on the concept, you had a well-spaced approach to dropping an inventive variety of obstacles on the route, and it was all very readable and fair. The sun/moon concept in The Daylight Midnight Express is excellent: I've seen many "don't touch the moon" levels but almost none that use it in parallel to the sun as a slight bump in difficulty (i.e. try this again, but with no margin of error). But I have to admit I cheesed the second half (which I guess is thematically appropriate to a moon): I hit the moon late enough that I decided to dash forward to see what lay ahead, and managed to damage-boost all the way to the end.

Just something to think about and pick up through testing. For the most part, I think it's fine that you have spikes as the track surface, as opposed to a true instant-kill like poison or lava—if you make a blunder, it's fun to scramble to get back on the train—but you have to be aware that SMM players will always, always exploit the path of least resistance and take advantage of invincibility frames.

Since you tend to build quite wide and spaciously (you're not the only one who's heard this from me, and it's all right if that's just your style), my main recommendation is to think about camera movement. Apart from some of the Thwomps in your very first level (which, to be fair, was your very first level), visibility is generally fine; but there were spots here or there where I felt like I was falling towards surfaces that were a few tiles out of view, for example, or where it took a moment to understand what you were signalling with coins. I think many players default to reading coins as "it's safe to go here" unless the surrounding context makes it clear that they are meant to say "it's a timing-sensitive risk to go here".

Interestingly, I've played close to a thousand levels in this game and I think your Fishnado Mountain is the first time I can remember seeing NSMBU night desert. Unless I'm forgetting something obvious, I could swear I hadn't seen this theme before—though NSMBU might actually be underrated in SMM2, either because it already came with the reputation for ugly beginner garbage in SMM1 or because 3DW is now a far more appealing home for levels built for a dynamic platforming move set.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I recently got back into SMM2 seriously after a few weeks off, and I saw that I had missed all of your levels, so I ran through the whole set just now. I enjoyed a lot of these; you're quite generous about safety nets and points of failure that allow the player to retry on the spot, which is a blind spot for a lot of makers, especially early on. Buzzy trains are right there in the Story Mode, but in both of your takes on the concept, you had a well-spaced approach to dropping an inventive variety of obstacles on the route, and it was all very readable and fair. The sun/moon concept in The Daylight Midnight Express is excellent: I've seen many "don't touch the moon" levels but almost none that use it in parallel to the sun as a slight bump in difficulty (i.e. try this again, but with no margin of error). But I have to admit I cheesed the second half (which I guess is thematically appropriate to a moon): I hit the moon late enough that I decided to dash forward to see what lay ahead, and managed to damage-boost all the way to the end.

Just something to think about and pick up through testing. For the most part, I think it's fine that you have spikes as the track surface, as opposed to a true instant-kill like poison or lava—if you make a blunder, it's fun to scramble to get back on the train—but you have to be aware that SMM players will always, always exploit the path of least resistance and take advantage of invincibility frames.

Thank you so much for playing my levels. I really appreciate all the feedback. Its great to hear from someone else's perspective. You get tunnel vision when creating a level and its hard to not play it optimally when testing. In my "The Daylight Midnight Express" level, I was aware of the ability to cheese it by damage boosting, but I had to consider the alternative. I fee like its unfair to not give a power up, but doing so increases the chance to boost through. So, had to make it fair & provide mushrooms. I rather someone have fun with cheesing the level & beat it, then quit in frustration.

I have a hard time deciding what power-ups to use in my levels. I usually just give mushrooms, otherwise even a fire flower can really cheese the level.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I see that several of you have been in the mood for marking the season with the winter theme.

Stop me if you've heard this one: I've been working on my most traditional, linear, puzzle-free platforming level to date—yes, I know I say this every time, and that every time players get stuck on the one vestigial puzzle element anyway—and it's mostly complete, but it may be some time before it's ready to publish and I might work on some other ideas first. I don't know why I'm to drawn to pursuing technical concepts that, however simple they look on the surface, are absolute hell to debug.

This time around I'm designing some new trickery with Chain Chomps, and the pseudorandom element to how they extend from the stumps is driving me up the wall. It's not only difficult to force them to behave reliably, but it's even harder to test. The setups I'm playing with act a little differently depending on how quickly the player scrolls the screen, so I've had to test every segment at different scrolling speeds (and to account for the player deciding to backtrack at any given column that affects the spawn timings), and sometimes I don't pick up an unfixed bug until dozens of attempts later, while I'm busy working on a different part of the stage.

I'm sure you already know this but if you put a sideways trampoline on top of a stumped Chain Chomp the extending behaviour becomes cyclic and reliable. I'm excited to play your level when you finish it.

On a personal note, I think SMM2 is imminently due to surpass BotW as the game with the highest playtime on my Switch. Rounded to the nearest five hours, they're currently tied, but when I sort them on the full software grid, SMM2 is still in second. It's certain to claim the throne by the end of the week. This is a huge landmark for me, and one that I didn't think could happen on this platform when BotW took over my life in 2017 (though FE3H should pass it too by the time I'm truly done with it).

You don't want to know the number. Really, you don't.

I'm over 400 hours. Nothing you say could surprise me haha.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure you already know this but if you put a sideways trampoline on top of a stumped Chain Chomp the extending behaviour becomes cyclic and reliable. I'm excited to play your level when you finish it.

Thanks; I'd seen that technique many times before but I had totally forgotten about it (partly due to all the changes in spring behaviour in SMM2 that broke old SMM1 designs for shell launchers and so forth). Not a solution to what I'm working on, unfortunately, as I really need the tops of the stumps to stay clear for this level to work. I also don't have any room for more springs; I've completely exhausted my entity budget, and I'm actually redesigning most of what I've built in an effort to free up every slot I can. SMM2 is not exactly where I expected to be spending hours of my life on infinitesimal memory-saving optimizations, but there you go.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Hey everyone :)

Was a way for a while due to having a surgery. I'm all good now, but the main reason I couldn't stream was because I wasn't able to sit for an extended period without getting uncomfortable.

I still can't, but much better than before so I thought I'd stream again and see how it goes!

I'll be on shortly at www.twitch.tv/naar82

I'm sure you all have some interesting stuff since I was last on :)

Mar 31, 2018
I made a level a while ago. Maybe some are interested.

62D-VX4-4YF

It is a level in Super Mario Bros. style. You control a kind of boat and you have to avoid obstacles. After you have passed the checkpoint, you control two space vehicles. I no longer have any images, I apologize for this.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks; I'd seen that technique many times before but I had totally forgotten about it (partly due to all the changes in spring behaviour in SMM2 that broke old SMM1 designs for shell launchers and so forth). Not a solution to what I'm working on, unfortunately, as I really need the tops of the stumps to stay clear for this level to work. I also don't have any room for more springs; I've completely exhausted my entity budget, and I'm actually redesigning most of what I've built in an effort to free up every slot I can. SMM2 is not exactly where I expected to be spending hours of my life on infinitesimal memory-saving optimizations, but there you go.

Ah I see. Thought it was worth a mention. The crazy contraptions and setups some of yall make is so impressive.

Was a way for a while due to having a surgery. I'm all good now, but the main reason I couldn't stream was because I wasn't able to sit for an extended period without getting uncomfortable.

I still can't, but much better than before so I thought I'd stream again and see how it goes!

Nice to see you back man!!

62D-VX4-4YF

It is a level in Super Mario Bros. style. You control a kind of boat and you have to avoid obstacles. After you have passed the checkpoint, you control two space vehicles. I no longer have any images, I apologize for this.

Gonna be honest here. You delve into unfair territory here. There is so much off screen enemy spam in the first part that makes avoiding all the obstacles incredibly difficult. Even within the first 15 seconds of the level you have a barely visible hammer bro that will catch unsuspecting players. And the way you sealed off the mushroom makes getting hit there very common. The level never lets you breath from incoming enemy projectiles.

The second portion is a little better for this but there is still just so much stuff on the screen to dodge and unless you just play the level over and over you'd have no hope of dodging a lot of it.

I'm not sure if you were going for difficult or it's just that since you're the creator you gauged it as being easier than it actually is. The visuals are very nice and I can tell you worked hard on it because the way everything syncs up is impressive. The main thing I think you should consider is reducing off screen enemies . The other is letting players have power ups a little easier. Sometimes a power up needs to just be no strings attached imo. Just let the player have it.

I did get the first clear and I tossed it a like.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Double post but new level alert.

This is actually a semi bring over from Super Mario Maker 1. Third level I ever made. I reworked some of the first portion to ease the difficulty, smooth out some troublesome spots and add some decoration. I also renamed it since I removed the main name gimmick from the original level. Then I added a whole original second section with a checkpoint. I think it turned out well. Adding a whole new section while remaining true to the original design constraints was tough. When I started making levels I always kept the amount of course elements I used minimal because I wasn't a good designer. Now that I'm a lot better I found those actual constraints quite limiting but I like how this turned out.

Any and all feedback is welcome :)

Course Name: Perilous Underpass
Course ID: 3QH-4MS-D0H

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
NEW LEVEL!
Balancing A Pyramid Scheme
YC9-FGK-GVG

I'm not very happy about the end part but the rest feels well balanced,
as always the better you are the more different your path shall be.
Aside from the boss there's always a quickest path and there should be little pace killing stuffs if you get the hints.
Tell me what you guys think about it and where I could improve.

Double post but new level alert.

This is actually a semi bring over from Super Mario Maker 1. Third level I ever made. I reworked some of the first portion to ease the difficulty, smooth out some troublesome spots and add some decoration. I also renamed it since I removed the main name gimmick from the original level. Then I added a whole original second section with a checkpoint. I think it turned out well. Adding a whole new section while remaining true to the original design constraints was tough. When I started making levels I always kept the amount of course elements I used minimal because I wasn't a good designer. Now that I'm a lot better I found those actual constraints quite limiting but I like how this turned out.

Any and all feedback is welcome :)

Course Name: Perilous Underpass
Course ID: 3QH-4MS-D0H
Nice level!
If there's a part I feel is a bit cumbersome is when there are 2 pipes with fire flowers and you kinda have to use the elevation of the pipe to continue.
Kinda had to power boost my way through.
I thought about bringing levels from SMM1 but my experiments were baffingly bad compared to what you ended up with!

62D-VX4-4YF

Aptly named.
The start is the hardest part with the hammer bros killing you on the spot.
I'll be frank, if I ever meet a level like that in the wild I probably wouldn't have stuck to it.
The visual are fantastic though.

Good to know everything is doing fine for you.
hang in there and get better!
Didn't know your twitch but I'll definitely take a look.

M69-PBS-LVF
EJyEORIUwAA44ld
Beautiful level,
The challenge is interesting, the ice gave me Celeste vibes too
That's probably true as a whole. I still haven't had a level explosion moment myself but I'm still trucking along decently I feel. I do feel like my levels that get in the popular tab do get more plays now compared to earlier in the games life. Still waiting on that update Nintendo :/

I liked this one!
With the brutal few levels I played before it felt nice to not be so stressed over everything trying to kill you

K76-9K7-0NG

And for the last one for now
Very cool level!
Going from one to the other was great, good ramp up of difficulty as well!

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Nice level!
If there's a part I feel is a bit cumbersome is when there are 2 pipes with fire flowers and you kinda have to use the elevation of the pipe to continue.
Kinda had to power boost my way through.
I thought about bringing levels from SMM1 but my experiments were baffingly bad compared to what you ended up with!

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, that portion probably could be streamlined. You can kill the plants with a green shell from the area right before it. But also, if you speedrun the level that set up makes a little more sense. Still, I'll keep in mind, following the design philosophy from area 1 was tough for me.

I liked this one!
With the brutal few levels I played before it felt nice to not be so stressed over everything trying to kill you

Thanks :) I normally make pretty easy levels, dunno where the sudden streak of harder stuff is coming from.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Made a new level today while stuck on a plane for a few hours. What a world.

Wanted to make something more accessible and forgiving since my last couple had very low clear rates, but I may have made the last jump a little tight. 3D World style is weird but (hopefully) fun.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
So I decided I'm gonna do something stupid and crazy today for my stream lol.

I asked a friend who doesn't play Mario Maker to come and critique/play levels that are submitted to me on stream.

He likes to complain a lot and I thought it would be a funny interaction. I am sure he will be a bit camera shy at start though

I will be live roughly 1 hour after this post on www.twitch.tv/naar82

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
New level alert O_O

Another SMB3 inspired level with the airship theme but with a cool little track ride for the second half. 1 part gets a little hectic but it's a very manageable level. I think it has some nice theming given what that style offers. Give it a try, I'd love any feedback :)

Course Name: Sky High Cargo Chase
Course ID: 5PL-QKX-95G

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Made a new level today while stuck on a plane for a few hours. What a world.

Wanted to make something more accessible and forgiving since my last couple had very low clear rates, but I may have made the last jump a little tight. 3D World style is weird but (hopefully) fun.

I see what you mean about that last jump. It got me the first time through when it really didn't feel like it should have. Other than that I found this to be a pretty satisfying long jump level.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I see what you mean about that last jump. It got me the first time through when it really didn't feel like it should have. Other than that I found this to be a pretty satisfying long jump level.

Thanks! I don't think it's pixel perfect, but it does feel tighter than I wanted. You can also cheese it by hopping in place to get the mouse out of position before you jump. :p

Oct 28, 2017
Wiggler's Donut Cave

C04-FW6-WTF

Experience this cave full of wigglers and donut blocks. Be careful not to fall. Or don't be, the choice is yours.

Bounce House

70T-738-JVF

Boing! Jump to the goal in this bouncy level. Hop on trampolines, springs, and flying ants in the bounce house!