• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I think I only just realised you can create scroll stops with a wall that goes up one screen space instead of all the way to the max ceiling...
I feel silly

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Ever start making a level and half way through you're just like "this is kind of way harder than I was intending" but you like it to much to want to make it lesser?

Stevo

Jan 29, 2019
Super Mario Galaxy Man
F2W-L44-GFK
(Standard | Themed)

With the power-up being attached to the flag, you don't get it again if you die and retry, so be careful!

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
7h1pam3.jpg

Puff Enough
FSL-N2L-2YG

I actually have two versions of this stage, one includes stingbys placed as such that you can use them to bypass most obstacles for a speed run like experience, but then I remembered that stages in the Mario Maker verse are very much one and dones so dammit you'll experience all my machinations, as much as I wanted to inject some Tropical Freeze esque tactical enemy speedrun placement into my stage.

Balancing this stage was tricky for a few reasons
- Firstly Porcu Puffers can just eat you whole for a one shot, it's why I love 'em but also why others no doubt hate them.
- Second is that if you go even slightly underwater the enemy flips out and starts going for a swim to pursue thus kinda messing up the attempt at a "Big Bertha/Boss Bass" stage
- And it really helps to understand that puffers change direction when hitting the edge of the screen or another puffer...unless they're jumping at the time.
- Oh and you can feasibly just outrun the guys so I had to factor in ways to keep them in your grill.

In any case outside a brief flirtation with them in my very early on Crate Expectations stage, I've been wanting to make a puffer focused stage as I always loved the SMB3 big fish stages, I'm pretty happy with it, though the stingby speedrun variant will remain trapped on my switch for me alone.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Take The Tracks up Thunder Tower
7YL-6NC-L5G
Travel To The Tip of Thunder Tower; Take The Tracks but don't be Tardy!

This level, unlike the other 15 I've made, is easy. I swear it is. It's just a vertical autoscroller with some light puzzle elements. There's a lot happening on screen but it's not hard. I hope. At the very least I hit both the scenery and the sprite limit on the subworld so it looks very nice, or at least as nice as you can make the SMB3 blue airship look.

Ever start making a level and half way through you're just like "this is kind of way harder than I was intending" but you like it to much to want to make it lesser?
Oh that's every one of my levels, except for this new one.

Super Mario Galaxy Man
F2W-L44-GFK
(Standard | Themed)

With the power-up being attached to the flag, you don't get it again if you die and retry, so be careful!
FYI, the correct code is F2W-L44-GKF. Neat, I died to stuff I shouldn't have a lot for some reason.

I loved your underwater Link level. I had never thought about using Link underwater before. That might have to be the gimmick for my next level...
7h1pam3.jpg

Puff Enough
FSL-N2L-2YG

I actually have two versions of this stage, one includes stingbys placed as such that you can use them to bypass most obstacles for a speed run like experience, but then I remembered that stages in the Mario Maker verse are very much one and dones so dammit you'll experience all my machinations, as much as I wanted to inject some Tropical Freeze esque tactical enemy speedrun placement into my stage.

- Firstly Porcu Puffers can just eat you whole for a one shot, it's why I love 'em but also why others no doubt hate them.
- Second is that if you go even slightly underwater the enemy flips out and starts going for a swim to pursue thus kinda messing up the attempt at a "Big Bertha/Boss Bass" stage
- And it really helps to understand that puffers change direction when hitting the edge of the screen or another puffer...unless they're jumping at the time.
- Oh and you can feasibly just outrun the guys so I had to factor in ways to keep them in your grill.

In any case outside a brief flirtation with them in my very early on Crate Expectations stage, I've been wanting to make a puffer focused stage as I always loved the SMB3 big fish stages, I'm pretty happy with it, though the stingby speedrun variant will remain trapped on my switch for me alone.
Great level, the way you used the cloud platforms to simulate a rapidly rising/falling water level seemed like a clever way to avoid the challenges of using the game's actual rising water mechanics

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Puff Enough
FSL-N2L-2YG
This was very good. The boss arena stood out to me as especially well done. Those sorts of custom fights using standard enemies are hard to do and people often have a tendency to over complicate them in a desperate attempt to make them challenging. This one had just enough elements to make it interesting without being overwhelming.

7YL-6NC-L5G
If anything thwarts your goal of making this easy it will be the on/off switches in the vertical segment. There's very little time to react to them when they show up on screen and I think I managed to fail every one of them at least once. I liked everything else in the level though.

Super Mario Galaxy Man
F2W-L44-GFK
The hardest part of the level for me occurred very early on where you've got a ton of cannons, bullets, and rocky wrenches on screen at once. That part felt like it should have been dialed back a bit. Past the first checkpoint everything felt comfortably challenging.

Stevo

Jan 29, 2019
Thanks a lot for checking out my levels and for your feedback, Dyle and J-Spot! :)

I just uploaded one of them sinking platform type levels:

Hurdlin'!
W1R-26B-H1H
Speedrun | Short n Sweet

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
7YL-6NC-L5G

This level, unlike the other 15 I've made, is easy. I swear it is. It's just a vertical autoscroller with some light puzzle elements. There's a lot happening on screen but it's not hard. I hope. At the very least I hit both the scenery and the sprite limit on the subworld so it looks very nice, or at least as nice as you can make the SMB3 blue airship look.

I have some bad news for you. It's not particularly easy. The vertical portion with the on off blocks moves at a pretty fast pace and if you miss the on off block you die. That part could really use reset doors every 2 levels or so so the player doesn't have to kill themselves whenever they miss the lifts. The level is fun but you're not going to get 10%+ clear rate on this. It looks very nice as all your levels do :)

7h1pam3.jpg

Puff Enough
FSL-N2L-2YG

I had fun with this. Really uniwue. Makes me with Boss Bass was in SMB3 theme.

Oct 25, 2017
I come bringing new recordings of Era levels. I've decided to keep my viewer broadcasts as permanent VODs (so I can refer to them again for level codes I really like) rather than letting them expire after two weeks, so if I've shown off one of your levels already, let me know if you need a permanent link.

I've also been shown some pretty fantastic levels on Twitch, so when I have the time, I'll comb through of those codes and share them in a separate post.

New from the past few broadcasts:

The Great Keychain Wall
0VL-6VT-PTF

"Four Keys are needed to proceed but the key-bearers have to be coaxed out."

Maybe a kind of polarizing level, it's quite long and I dunno if the gimmick will be immediately obvious. It's based on an old idea I had of a 'key run' of sorts, as well as an attempt to make something I found visually interesting with the NSMB style (which I find rather dull overall). So it's kind of a large wall in some ruins or something? Semi-solid platforms kind of fascinate me more than they honestly probably should, and here they form a complicated matrix that is kind of intentionally difficult to navigate.

(VOD — timestamp 0:22) — Had some minor sound/video issues with this, but the majority of the playthrough is intact. I think it's about as clear as it can be for a level that is about visualizing and traversing the semi-solids. You can see from all the dotted-line blocks, right from the start, that you'll need to retread most of the layout from scratch when you search for the coins, which makes this one of those pink coin hunts that feel structured like an open 3D platformer's collection environment. It's a bit tricky to keep track of what I've looked at and what I haven't, but I have that issue with collectible stages generally, and it's probably just me. The Goombrats over the key door are a nice visual reminder of the level structure for people like me with a short memory for instructions.

Palmtree Panic — HCM - Snow Claws (B3V-PL3-JLF)

(VOD — start of video) — I don't think you actually posted in the thread about this one, but it's not the only one from this community for what was presumably a Christmas project with the HCM label, which I only afterwards realized stands for Hot Chocolate Mountain (as per the description). My playthrough on video didn't quite capture it in its full glory: I played it so distractedly that I only noticed afterwards that I forgot to drop a Like on it, so I went back to replay the level off-stream and developed a far better appreciation for the smoothness of the platforming timing when you play this nice and fast. Well worth a try for those who haven't seen it.

7YL-6NC-L5G

(VOD — start of video) — I'm afraid I didn't give this a proper showing and will have to go back to it; I had a lot of viewers queued up all of a sudden, and didn't see this one through to the end. In retrospect, perhaps I should have made a recording of Surfing with Skull Squadron, which I loved enough to replay and polish for the current record time when I saw it a little while ago, and might be my favourite of yours despite some difficulties in reading it blindly in the first segment.

As for Thunder Tower: it's easier than all your other levels when it comes to not killing the player, but the ascent up the tower has one central issue. Objects on tracks stay globally loaded into the game (they don't reset and respawn unless you reenter the room via a pipe/door), so if you're not on pace with the lift going up, you're not dead but you may as well be, unless you're close enough to the bottom that you can reset from there. Once objects on tracks get going, they just keep going no matter how far offscreen they run, and from the player's perspective you can't really tell if they're coming back. Reset doors would have been a quick fix for this. The clear rate will look relatively high because again, very few things will outright kill you, but that's a good example of why clear rates don't necessarily match up to perceived difficulty.

It's too bad I had to abandon this one so publicly—it's one of the only levels from you that I haven't beaten, so I was definitely too optimistic about your description of it as easy—but I'll give it another go sometime, and would be happy to playtest any revisions as well if you make them. Always enjoy seeing what you pull off with weird or off-kilter mechanics that most makers would be reluctant to make work.

Stevo

Jan 29, 2019
Here's an easy one with no sub-world. Just enjoy the running, jumping, and that Mario 2 character select music!

Platforming 101
7Y2-GXT-5CG
Standard | Short & Sweet
3D World

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Have a couple levels I'm working on but I think this time I'm going to upload a batch opposed to 1 by 1. So look for 3 levels by me in the next week or so :)

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Howdy all! Haven't shared anything in here yet, but wanted to get some feedback or some plays if possible on my Mario World castle.

ID:
QXX-TS1-2NF

I'm only really interested in traditional platforming for the most part, so decided to make one of my own.

I wanted the theme to be an underground castle that has been abandoned and overrun by nature...hence the overload of vines and piranha plants :)

Wanted to make it a little lengthy and a slight challenge, but nothing crazy.

Would be great if anyone gives it a go or can offer any feedback, good or bad. Always looking to improve in future levels, especially as this is pretty much my firrst proper level that I have put real effort into.

Thanks for any plays/comments!

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
I just wanted to say that I will be streaming today later than I usually do. In about 2 hours from the time of this post so I hope I can see some of you online in a couple of hours!

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing SMM2 less than usual (been either too busy to pick up the Switch or trapped in Fire Emblem once again), but here are some new recordings from the past week:

Thank you for the thoroughly feedback! You are right, there is a slight difference playing the course in one go or from a checkpoint. Hitting brick- or hardblocks slow the spike balls down and can change their route. Also, the new spike ball (either from a pipe or a blaster) only spawns, when the old one is destroyed or despawned (left the screen) and since a spike ball eating through a lot of blocks takes longer then a spike ball just rolling through an empty space, the timing and the save zones for the player changes. It is quite interesting.

Ya, the last part is only there to add some chaos. I made it the shortest section (with only four screens) and added a mushroom at the beginning. Playing it myself it made more sense and thought it was doable, but that's of course the creator's curse. Of course, there are two softlocks (that I know of anyway) in my course. Not sure, if I should reupload the course, removing the softlocks and change some small stuff to remove some janky stuff at the end. Probably will tho. Unless there will be a significant amount of plays/likes in the next 24 hours. Which is unlikely given the difficulty.

And you are right. Took a lot of time testing the behaviour of the spike balls. Creating those courses where you revisit older parts of the course in a new way is always a freaking nightmare, haha.

Edit: Reuploaded the course (L1P-B53-MSG). Removed two softlocks, changed the position and frequency of powerups and added a fire flower to the last section to make it more forgiving.

(VOD — start of video) — I noticed when going over my followed makers that I never actually cleared some of your revised uploads in December, so I thought I'd feature a fresh look at Crumbling Catacombs as my first video recording of one of your levels. Alas, the game sounds cut out during the playthrough (as they sometimes do); and in spite of all the effort I put into doing the old version as a quick and efficient single-segment clear, this was a much more casual run just to see what you had done with the place. Still, I hope you get some entertainment out of all my narrow escapes from trying to play and chat at the same time.

Howdy all! Haven't shared anything in here yet, but wanted to get some feedback or some plays if possible on my Mario World castle.

ID:
QXX-TS1-2NF

I'm only really interested in traditional platforming for the most part, so decided to make one of my own.

I wanted the theme to be an underground castle that has been abandoned and overrun by nature...hence the overload of vines and piranha plants :)

Would be great if anyone gives it a go or can offer any feedback, good or bad. Always looking to improve in future levels, especially as this is pretty much my firrst proper level that I have put real effort into.

(VOD — start of video) — Welcome! I hope you get something out of my recording, in case you haven't seen a playthrough on video already. Seeing how somebody reads the level will probably be more useful to you than anything I can write here.

After playing your level, I think this community will fit you like a glove—lots of decoratively minded traditional makers here who would definitely find your style to be their kind of thing, and vice versa. Some players complain about bosses with respawning power-ups, as they can feel like exercises in camping the power-up spawn and getting hit repeatedly with no consequence, but I thought that was actually an excellent fit for the way you set up the ending encounter, which was a nice treat to close out the thematic identity of the level on a whole. It's not about spamming fireballs, after all, but about doing precisely one thing and doing it cleanly. Meanwhile, in the skewer segment, the coins are a good indication of how far the skewers thrust but perhaps a little tight as collectible indications of where the player should go; I think you'll find that many players will instinctively try to pick up the coins (which requires you go a bit low on the jump) and get hit. I'm not sure if it would work better or not with an extra tile of spacing (when that corridor is already pretty narrow), but that's the kind of adjustment worth trying.

Really great start—and now that SMM2 isn't the new or trendy thing, it can be hard for levels like this to pick up as many plays as they deserve, but I hope that doesn't slow you down. I don't know if you had earlier projects that you had taken down or simply never uploaded, but this was the only thing on your profile when I looked at it today (as you know) and the polish definitely shows.

Last edited:

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
(VOD — start of video) — Welcome! I hope you get something out of my recording, in case you haven't seen a playthrough on video already. Seeing how somebody reads the level will probably be more useful to you than anything I can write here.

After playing your level, I think this community will fit you like a glove—lots of decoratively minded traditional makers here who would definitely find your style to be their kind of thing, and vice versa. Some players complain about bosses with respawning power-ups, as they can feel like exercises in camping the power-up spawn and getting hit repeatedly with no consequence, but I thought that was actually an excellent fit for the way you set up the ending encounter, which was a nice treat to close out the thematic identity of the level on a whole. It's not about spamming fireballs, after all, but about doing precisely one thing and doing it cleanly. Meanwhile, in the skewer segment, the coins are a good indication of how far the skewers thrust but perhaps a little tight as collectible indications of where the player should go; I think you'll find that many players will instinctively try to pick up the coins (which requires you go a bit low on the jump) and get hit. I'm not sure if it would work better or not with an extra tile of spacing (when that corridor is already pretty narrow), but that's the kind of adjustment worth trying.

Really great start—and now that SMM2 isn't the new or trendy thing, it can be hard for levels like this to pick up as many plays as they deserve, but I hope that doesn't slow you down. I don't know if you had earlier projects that you had taken down or simply never uploaded, but this was the only thing on your profile when I looked at it today (as you know) and the polish definitely shows.
Thank you kindly for playing! You played the level very well :)

Funny actually, I just watched a couple of videos on tips for making MM2 levels, and respawning item boss fights was one of the things considered not to do :p I could probably have figured something slightly different out for that boss fight now that I look back on it.

The coins in the skewer segment could definitely use an adjustment, I agree. The height of the room was about the best I could do without revealing the room below (which was the first room you moved through, with all the vines and lava), so I was trying to keep that from showing on the bottom of the screen. That did leave little room to manoeuvre, however, and I know it was a bit of a tight squeeze. I'm sure with a rework, I could figure something out again, though, or maybe reduce the height of the room below a notch.

I very much appreciate you playing, and for the feedback!!

I did have another level that was my first one posted in MM2, but it really was a silly little thing that I didn't feel deserved its place amongst what I hope to be a decent selection of platforming levels. I admit the seemingly difficult nature of trying to get levels noticed in a less active community is a little disheartening, and it takes some time to actually craft these things sometimes :p But I will try not to be a stranger in the community. I'd like to get my traditional 2D Mario platforming fix with this game if possible! And if I can create a couple of decent ones in the process, then great :p

Thanks to Naar for streaming my level earlier, too! Much appreciated!

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Uploaded my first level in more than 6 months. It's definitely been an on-and-off affair.

Mega-Jeff Caverns - S1N-21R-9HG

Explore and work your way through an underground lake, but beware of the Mega-Jeff nest that lurks deep within. Can you find the secrets of the flooded ruins? Can you make a daring escape and survive? And just what the hell are Mega-Jeffs, anyway?

Let me know your thoughts! It was tough designing the second half of the level, particularly because I wanted to pull off a fun escape sequence. You can probably cheese it in some areas.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm back with a new level after not uploading anything in over a month). I strayed away from my usual visual showcase style level and went for a challenge level I had been dying to take a shot at since the new update. It's a raft level about melting ice block barriers to progress. I think it's a challenging but fun little romp. Would love if yall gave it a try and provided some feedback.

Course Name: *Poison Panic: The Meltdown*

Course ID: L66-99X-MTF

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's an easy one with no sub-world. Just enjoy the running, jumping, and that Mario 2 character select music!

Platforming 101
7Y2-GXT-5CG
Standard | Short & Sweet
3D World

This was an interesting level. To be honest some of the jumps in the first half felt sort of disjointed. I wasn't able to get a good flow going.

ID:
QXX-TS1-2NF

Good castle level. I played it a few days ago. Visually it's really nice and nails the castle feel. I think it's a bit easy and on the safe side but that's not bad. I think it's an excellent level all the same and really good for a first proper course. I also agree with Quixotic that the coins could be higher. They have sort of a misleading placement about them now currently.

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Good castle level. I played it a few days ago. Visually it's really nice and nails the castle feel. I think it's a bit easy and on the safe side but that's not bad. I think it's an excellent level all the same and really good for a first proper course. I also agree with Quixotic that the coins could be higher. They have sort of a misleading placement about them now currently.
Ah, thank you for playing! I checked some of yours out too!

It's a shame you can't edit a level without first taking down and reuploading. I would definitely be down to adjust it, but you lose all the comments and likes etc :/

I guess I could post a second version actually, whilst keeping the original. Perhaps with some tweaks etc.

Actually, I had originally made the level harder than it was. It didn't have some of the safety blocks in the lava above the vines, mainly because when I posted it initially, I had my friend test it out, and he struggled with the climbing segments and one or two other sections. Plus a few others that also played it never beat it, and their death points were in the lava and they gave up, it seemed. So I figured I didn't want it to be too difficult for people that like platforming levels. I wanted it beatable for as many people as possible. The point was to have vine climbing more of a forced thing you had to do, but in the end, the tweaks meant most of the lava section could be bypassed without touching many vines at all.

I appreciate the feedback! Maybe I will tweak it again and post a second version of it :)

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, thank you for playing! I checked some of yours out too!

It's a shame you can't edit a level without first taking down and reuploading. I would definitely be down to adjust it, but you lose all the comments and likes etc :/

I guess I could post a second version actually, whilst keeping the original. Perhaps with some tweaks etc.

Actually, I had originally made the level harder than it was. It didn't have some of the safety blocks in the lava above the vines, mainly because when I posted it initially, I had my friend test it out, and he struggled with the climbing segments and one or two other sections. Plus a few others that also played it never beat it, and their death points were in the lava and they gave up, it seemed. So I figured I didn't want it to be too difficult for people that like platforming levels. I wanted it beatable for as many people as possible. The point was to have vine climbing more of a forced thing you had to do, but in the end, the tweaks meant most of the lava section could be bypassed without touching many vines at all.

I appreciate the feedback! Maybe I will tweak it again and post a second version of it :)

Oh I didn't mean for my feedback to be taken the wrong way. Its a great level that accomplishes what it sets out to do. In Mario Maker it is impossible to make a level that the difficulty suits everyone. Often times I feel like I made a level really easy and then the amount of deaths or people who can never clear it is staggering. I was just commenting on my own person desires!!

I wouldnt alter it if I were you. I would post it on reddit and to streamers a bunch, get it on the popular page and then just use the feedback for your next level. I rarely reupload levels. Even this new one I made which is a bit difficult probably could have some clearer indicators but I mostly just wanna move on. Keep at it dude :)

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I didn't mean for my feedback to be taken the wrong way. Its a great level that accomplishes what it sets out to do. In Mario Maker it is impossible to make a level that the difficulty suits everyone. Often times I feel like I made a level really easy and then the amount of deaths or people who can never clear it is staggering. I was just commenting on my own person desires!!

I wouldnt alter it if I were you. I would post it on reddit and to streamers a bunch, get it on the popular page and then just use the feedback for your next level. I rarely reupload levels. Even this new one I made which is a bit difficult probably could have some clearer indicators but I mostly just wanna move on. Keep at it dude :)
It's all good :) I didn't take it like that at all. I suppose that's the thing with playtesting your own level, and I guess expecting others' skills to be like your own - as I thought my castle was pretty easy too until I saw how many people were dying and my friend who tried it out was struggling. But it allowed me to adjust accordingly before uploading the current version :) It's definitely tough to get right and satisfy everybody...but I suppose that's not possible at all, since everyone is after something different in terms of challenge and level type :p

Reddit and streamers sounds like the best bet for getting a level out there a bit more and getting further feedback, so I may look into that. Thank you kindly!

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Since I was seeing that a lot of people were having issues with the original version of my latest level I've reuploaded it with a few changes to ease the difficulty the biggest being adding a shellmet so the player could take a hit without being punished. It doesn't do much to hurt the core design so no harm in it. I also redesigned a section for more clarity and I think to make it fit better. If you played the original already I'd love if you played it again and let me know if the changes eased the difficulty a bit haha. Don't get the wrong idea though, it's still tough, yall get to play my easy levels so this time there is a real challenger to overcome!! I just wanted to give players a bit more room for error :)

Course ID: 0Y0-JL5-88G

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Dry Dry Underworld

NHQ-YVB-MYF

Run across the dry dry desert & send koopas to their doom below. Beware as you come across the underworld and experience the eternal suffering of your vanquished foes.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how many of you here have been playing the Ninji Speedruns, but I've been finding them pretty consistently great as official, traditional creations that leave the player a lot of flexibility for discovering one's own route. This week's is the first in the SMW style and it was highly satisfying, as someone with bog-standard Mario technique and no serious speed-running experience whatsoever, to figure out a path on my own that got me into the top 2% of players (still in the top 1000 today) and within 2s of the world record. I found out afterwards that I had mostly converged on the route used by the world's best, but I doubt I'll optimize any further.

Large backlog of new levels from all of you to get through. I might run a dedicated stream to catch up on makers I follow, perhaps later this week, just to get as many of these recorded as I can and without time pressure. (I imagine it won't be as much of a draw as a viewer submission stream, but I'll be playing these anyway, and besides, I already made Twitch Affiliate.) I hope seeing levels on video is valuable for those of you sharing here.

Speaking of which, this happened to me today when running something by a regular who always sends me his own unique brand of 3DW speed levels:

I didn't quite realize what happened there until I went over the footage again just now. Originally I thought I ran out of time right as I hit the sound effect on the flagpole, but without actually hitting the flagpole for the game to register the level as cleared. But now that I look at it—the flagpole animation actually triggers; it's just that I die to the timer before the pole ever lets me down. (And to be clear, this counted as a defeat and kicked me back to the start.) I'm sure people who play a lot of tightly timed speed levels run into this all the time, but this is the first time I've seen it with my own eyes.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I did some drafts for other concepts but wasn't happy with the way they were going, they were proving to be too complicated and not very satisfying, so I relaxed a little bit and made a level that's not super big, ambitious, or difficult *crosses fingers*.

Cheep Cheeps Choke Cloudy Castle
V8R-LWR-FVG
Carefully Circumvent the Careening Carp throughout the Cumulus Castle
Since I was seeing that a lot of people were having issues with the original version of my latest level I've reuploaded it with a few changes to ease the difficulty the biggest being adding a shellmet so the player could take a hit without being punished. It doesn't do much to hurt the core design so no harm in it. I also redesigned a section for more clarity and I think to make it fit better. If you played the original already I'd love if you played it again and let me know if the changes eased the difficulty a bit haha. Don't get the wrong idea though, it's still tough, yall get to play my easy levels so this time there is a real challenger to overcome!! I just wanted to give players a bit more room for error :)

Course ID: 0Y0-JL5-88G
I never got around to commenting about the first version, but lucky I think this one is much better. That middle obstacle in the original was hellish with the saw blades and note blocks, so the muncher tower fits the general vibe of the level more. I didn't end up finishing it because I got stuck under the final icy coin at the very end, I would always get the bottom one melted but not the second, but still a pretty strong level regardless.
Dry Dry Underworld

NHQ-YVB-MYF

Run across the dry dry desert & send koopas to their doom below. Beware as you come across the underworld and experience the eternal suffering of your vanquished foes.
I would have liked to murder a few more parakoopas and hear that blood curdling scream some more, but I suppose you can't get everything you want.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
I'm thinking of getting this of just the single player (Nintendo) made levels - how does it compare to the original game? Is it still random selection or more themed/structured?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
After uploading a really tough level I always wanna make something a bit easy. So I made a 1-1. If I was going to make a traditional SMB3 game my 1-1 would be pretty close to this. Tried to have a clean yet cohesive visual style and I tried to make it easy but still engaging. Give it a try and toss me some feeback. I'll probably reupload this one as feedback comes in :)

Course Name: 1-1 Big Block Jungle
Course ID: JW7-SMM-XPF

I did some drafts for other concepts but wasn't happy with the way they were going, they were proving to be too complicated and not very satisfying, so I relaxed a little bit and made a level that's not super big, ambitious, or difficult *crosses fingers*.

Cheep Cheeps Choke Cloudy Castle
V8R-LWR-FVG
Carefully Circumvent the Careening Carp throughout the Cumulus Castle

Yo I had a lot of fun with this one. It's still difficult but because its so short its the right kind of difficulty imo. The visuals are also unreal. Never seen that look before!!

I never got around to commenting about the first version, but lucky I think this one is much better. That middle obstacle in the original was hellish with the saw blades and note blocks, so the muncher tower fits the general vibe of the level more. I didn't end up finishing it because I got stuck under the final icy coin at the very end, I would always get the bottom one melted but not the second, but still a pretty strong level regardless.

Thanks for playing it again. I didn't do too much to the core of the level but like you said a lot of people were having a lot of trouble with that part and also the difficulty of being able to take no hits was too punishing so I think the tweaks are for the better. Turning 2 enemies into one big one, The muncher tower part I think is a lot better, some criticism by a streamer made me think of doing something more attuned to the raft. I slowed a few sections down but I think it's better the level remains somewhat tough.

Dry Dry Underworld

NHQ-YVB-MYF

Solid level. Platforming felt good. Commented in game. I really enjoy that scream sound effect haha

I'm thinking of getting this of just the single player (Nintendo) made levels - how does it compare to the original game? Is it still random selection or more themed/structured?

It's still a random selection. This game isn't worth full price if you have no interest in at least playing user generated levels. If you do get it here is a list of really great makers with awesome levels (mostly traditional):

Matilder: 485-X4Q-KXG
QuixoticN: KD8-8WM-9MG
Pesca: VMF-6T8-Q1H
Nocturnowl: 8SJ-DFC-WMG
GokouD: 29V-SMD-4JF
Jocchan: R9T-L1M-94G
Simbabbad: V0V-RQV-S4G
Phil32: 4XW-VB1-VXG

Ragingbegl: GFF-4D0-8RF
DivideBy0: 5J7-TRL-VKF
IceMarker: 82Y-DCM-1SF
Wijuci: 4DH-X8R-62G
TehLobster: QM6-G34-CXF
J-Spot: 4XR-JB1-PGF
GreenMamba: 008-11G-01G
Dyle: VT4-VG2-22G

Pinktops: JN4-6J7-N2G
Steve618: XD9-S6K-13G

Check out some of these levels too

Last edited:

filterfilter

Nov 12, 2019
Can I please ask why the online multiplayer is still unbearable? I really don't get it. I play online on other games all the time on my Switch and they're perfectly fine, while here it has not worked for me even once. I've had the game since launch and thought maybe it was just an early days issue, but I find myself having to ask now... what's up with it?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I finally ran into some decent luck and had a new level cruise past the low 100 like barrier I have been stuck at for my last 8 uploads. In terms of likes (though not like ratio) this is now my best performing original level in Mario Maker 2. My 2 other levels that performed better than this one were bring overs from Mario Maker 1 (though for one of them I altered the level to make it longer and had some original new stuff in there). Sorta funny that my best performing new level would be a 1-1 lol.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
I just wanted to give people a heads up that I will be streaming a little earlier than usual today and will start around 12pm GMT until 3PM GMT (basically 5 hours from the time of this post) as I plan to do a second stream later today focusing on something other than Mario Maker, but I gotta get my Mario Maker fix in! :P

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I've been having a hard time coming up with new level ideas lately but I felt like throwing something together. I ended up making a SMB1 level themed around conveyor belts even though I've already done of those.

Cardio Canyon
Course ID: 62C-K6R-LRF
Difficulty: Expert

Oct 25, 2017
As I've indicated before, sometime soon I'd like to run a backlog stream where I just catch up on makers I follow (from this thread and elsewhere) and record as much as possible without the time pressure of a viewer queue. I've been falling behind. I should be able to take a crack at this tomorrow in my usual daytime slot (10am PT — 1pm ET — 7pm CET, running for about three hours), but there has been a bit of chaos this week that has thrown my streaming into disarray, and I've already had to cancel a scheduled broadcast. So I'm not entirely sure this will happen as planned, but I thought I'd let you all know that this is in the works, and of course I'll post the links here afterwards for those unable to catch this live.

Also, I wanted to say to Kaban and Stevo specifically that I'm glad you both came back to the game after lengthy absences. I had somehow contrived to miss out on both of your profiles back in the hectic early weeks of SMM2, and really enjoyed catching up on all your early creations.

New footage:

Uploaded my first level in more than 6 months. It's definitely been an on-and-off affair.

Mega-Jeff Caverns - S1N-21R-9HG

Explore and work your way through an underground lake, but beware of the Mega-Jeff nest that lurks deep within. Can you find the secrets of the flooded ruins? Can you make a daring escape and survive? And just what the hell are Mega-Jeffs, anyway?

Let me know your thoughts! It was tough designing the second half of the level, particularly because I wanted to pull off a fun escape sequence. You can probably cheese it in some areas.

(VOD — start of video) — Enjoyed the thematic coherence of this one a lot. I didn't make a note of this while playing, but looking over it again I appreciate what you did here with a narrative flow where the rolled-up Spinies actually stand in as eggs that hatch into the giant Wigglers. It's sometimes too easy to read things in Mario terms when you recognize certain unorthodox elements (e.g. underwater Spiny) for what they are in the editor, and miss what they are doing aesthetically, so I was pleased to catch on to that afterwards.

Just uploaded:
Underwater Cave Tale feat. Link
F6K-V9P-9WG

(VOD — start of video) — I'm afraid I didn't give this one a fair shake, as I unwisely picked it as a warmup level and was under a bit of time pressure to get on to a huge pile of viewer submissions. As a large and somewhat non-linear exploratory level, it deserves more patience and closer attention, and I'll have to revisit it. I wasn't too keen on burning a key to unlock a shortcut between two points I had already explored, as it seemed like a bit of guesswork to find a door that would let me progress, but I won't pretend I've given this a proper look. I do appreciate huge, open layouts like this, though, and the underwater theme is a surprisingly good fit for an expansive use of space resembling a top-down dungeon or overworld.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I've been having a hard time coming up with new level ideas lately but I felt like throwing something together. I ended up making a SMB1 level themed around conveyor belts even though I've already done of those.

Cardio Canyon

Really fun course. Played it yesterday. Felt traditional but had its own unique flair.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I made a water level. I apologize that it has a TMNT water level bit at the end, but at some point that's what every water level boils down to, isn't it? I'm especially proud of the visuals here, more than usual.

The Aqueous Armory of Atlantis
89Q-WP4-NRF
Admire Atlantis' Ancient Architecture and Avoid All the Armored Adversaries

After uploading a really tough level I always wanna make something a bit easy. So I made a 1-1. If I was going to make a traditional SMB3 game my 1-1 would be pretty close to this. Tried to have a clean yet cohesive visual style and I tried to make it easy but still engaging. Give it a try and toss me some feeback. I'll probably reupload this one as feedback comes in :)

Course Name: 1-1 Big Block Jungle
Course ID: JW7-SMM-XPF

Yo I had a lot of fun with this one. It's still difficult but because its so short its the right kind of difficulty imo. The visuals are also unreal. Never seen that look before!!
This was a fun 1-1 style level. I gave WR a few tries but couldn't get it. Maybe next time I'll be fast enough

Glad you enjoyed it, I guarantee you've never seen my new level's look either.

Cardio Canyon
A good concept taken its full conclusion. Definitely a fun one

Can I please ask why the online multiplayer is still unbearable? I really don't get it. I play online on other games all the time on my Switch and they're perfectly fine, while here it has not worked for me even once. I've had the game since launch and thought maybe it was just an early days issue, but I find myself having to ask now... what's up with it?
It's a little bit due to Nintendo being bad at implementing most online features in their games and a little bit because a game like Mario Maker is super demanding for online play

Oct 25, 2017
As I feared, I had to scratch my intended NA daytime / EU evening stream on Friday due to some disruptions outside of my control.

However, I'll be going live shortly (https://www.twitch.tv/quixoticn) and playing followed levels (mostly recent Era levels, but maybe some other ones as well) for the next few hours. I know this is a bad time for everyone except night owls on the west coast or early risers in EU, but I want to get through these levels anyway, and will post timestamps after I upload the permanent VOD. I'll hopefully run a second daytime stream this weekend to continue this at a time when people are more likely to watch.

Last edited:

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
The Aqueous Armory of Atlantis
89Q-WP4-NRF
Admire Atlantis' Ancient Architecture and Avoid All the Armored Adversaries
I didn't realize I needed to kill the squid to get a key my first time through. Maybe it should have been obvious based on the boss music but after hitting the on/off block I just assumed that would do something on the return trip. I think it would be better if instead of using a locked door you just used on/off blocks to seal the door. As it is now you can just turn the switch back on again after getting a shell to completely avoid the extra enemies that would be added by leaving the blocks off. Other than that I thought the whole vertical section was well done with just the right amount of challenge. I wasn't fond of the last section which felt a bit too spammy. I'd decrease the number of hazards by 20% or even just get rid of that section altogether since the round trip is kind of the level's main identity anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Recorded a whole pile of levels from my personal backlog last night. Here are the timestamps for those of you from this thread:

Dyle (0:00:30)
- Submerged Subway, Scarlet Sector [B00-9GL-6VF]
- Take The Tracks up Thunder Tower [7YL-6NC-L5G] — went back to finish this one
- The Aqueous Armory of Atlantis [89Q-WP4-NRF]

ragingbegal (0:39:30)
- The Shelmet Factory Heist [CKD-MVM-46G]
- Even More Free 1-Ups for Endless [D38-X06-JMG]

Gotdatmoney (2:33:45)
- 1-1 Big Block Jungle [JW7-SMM-XPF]
- Poison Panic: The Meltdown [0Y0-JL5-88G]

Nocturnowl (2:58:15)
- Deep Dive Dash [J8Y-X7F-DTG]
- Puff Enough [FSL-N2L-2YG]
(Game sounds glitched out for your whole segment, and I only noticed the problem when I reviewed the footage afterwards. Sorry! No music levels here, at least.)

I intend to run another backlog session and showcase some people not listed above, but we'll see if I can squeeze that in this weekend. I'll keep this thread posted.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Gotdatmoney (2:33:45)
- 1-1 Big Block Jungle [JW7-SMM-XPF]
- Poison Panic: The Meltdown [0Y0-JL5-88G]

Thanks for playing both!!

You finished the level in good time and with just fire Mario. Impressive. The shellmet can be gotten when small or with a crouch jump, I didn't do a good job setting this up but I'm glad you were able to finish it. And I appreciate the compliments about not being afraid to make something difficult. I really enjoy making visually striking levels so sometimes its hard to put them behind a high difficulty because a lot of people miss out on them. But you gotta make what you like all the same.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for playing both!!

You finished the level in good time and with just fire Mario. Impressive. The shellmet can be gotten when small or with a crouch jump, I didn't do a good job setting this up but I'm glad you were able to finish it. And I appreciate the compliments about not being afraid to make something difficult. I really enjoy making visually striking levels so sometimes its hard to put them behind a high difficulty because a lot of people miss out on them. But you gotta make what you like all the same.

Ah, I see: I was curious about that shellmet (as giving the player a one-hit buffer seemed to be the intent) but hit the one-way panel and wrote it off from there, wondering what it was trying to tell me. I would have caught on to this right away if you had tucked it above a donut block, which allows you to don the shell as either big or small Mario without getting trapped and without accidentally picking it up, but I'm not sure if you overlooked that option or just decided against it for aesthetic reasons.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for playing both of these. I'm glad you seemed to enjoy them.

My pleasure! And thanks again for dropping by to say hello.

Recorded a few more from here in a second session:

Stevo (0:00:15)
- The Weightless Wide Blue Yonder [S4M-5Y5-G4G]
- Cursed Climb Zone [RHP-H3J-BQG]
- Underwater Cave Tale feat. Link [F6K-V9P-9WG] — went back to finish this one
(I found a bit of an issue with Underwater Cave Tale with how the keys/locks were set up, and I now see why you were asking about key doors earlier in the thread. It's possible to skip one of the locked door pairs, but also possible to skip a key and get stuck. You might want to take a look at this to see how I broke it on the later attempts.)

Palmtree Panic (0:48:00)
- Dry Dry Underworld [NHQ-YVB-MYF]

J-Spot (0:58:00)
- Cardio Canyon [62C-K6R-LRF]

I'd be happy to discuss any of these further if the makers want to talk about them or ask for more specific feedback.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
J-Spot (0:58:00)
- Cardio Canyon [62C-K6R-LRF]
Thanks for playing! The split pipe at the end of section 2 is indeed just there for a slight speed run where you can use the conveyor on the other side of the pipe to launch over the Pokey. I always like to test sections of my levels using various play styles and will usually add platforms or adjust enemy timings to make speed runs feel good for whatever small fraction of players actually bother.

Stevo

Jan 29, 2019
Hey Gotdatmoney and QuixoticNeutral! Thanks a lot for taking the time to check out some of the levels I posted and for your thoughts and feedback (long jumps will work). I just watched Quixotics videos and it was cool to see you take your time and not sprint to the goal and move on. :)

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
I picked up this game on Monday during the Mar10 Sale. I'm loving it so far. I've already made 3 courses there all pretty traditional platforming, but I tried to pick interesting themes and limit my use of object/enemy types. If you give these a try and have any feedback, I'd love to hear it.

Sudden Valley Construction Inc. - [201-04M-QMG]
This desert is littered with cranes and shoddy construction projects, so be wary of falling platforms and the union-busting bullet bills. For the final boss, demolish the HQ building and reach the goal!

Chomper's Forest - [833-HCS-KRG]
Make your way through the forest to collect the 5 red coins guarded by the big Chain Chomp. Then jump down the tower and quickly make your escape!

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Where is dos weird mushroom
No weird mushroom in Mario Maker 2. One of a bunch of quirky easter eggs that didn't make the cut
I picked up this game on Monday during the Mar10 Sale. I'm loving it so far. I've already made 3 courses there all pretty traditional platforming, but I tried to pick interesting themes and limit my use of object/enemy types. If you give these a try and have any feedback, I'd love to hear it.

Sudden Valley Construction Inc. - [201-04M-QMG]
This desert is littered with cranes and shoddy construction projects, so be wary of falling platforms and the union-busting bullet bills. For the final boss, demolish the HQ building and reach the goal!

Chomper's Forest - [833-HCS-KRG]
Make your way through the forest to collect the 5 red coins guarded by the big Chain Chomp. Then jump down the tower and quickly make your escape!
These are all pretty great, they're the kind of level you want to find in endless. I look forward to more as you get familiar with the game, experiment with everything the game offers, and build some more ambitious levels.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
sooooo

I don't normally stream on Friday, but since everything is closed due to corona virus I thought I might stream some mario maker today!

I will get some food and probably stream in about 2 hours or so from the time of this post, so come hang out if you are stuck home like me :)

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.