• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 13 1.8%
  • 95 - 99

Votes: 37 5.2%
  • 90 - 94

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 85 - 89

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 80 - 84

Votes: 70 9.9%
  • 75-79

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • under 75

Votes: 8 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (88)
OpenCritic (88)

Eurogamer (no score, recommended):
Years ago I read the only writing advice that I suspect anybody really needs. Type something, it ran, because then you have something to change. William Goldman said that, I think, and he would have been very at home with Mario Maker. Everyone would be at home here, I suspect. Like the first game, this is a warm bubble bath to settle into, or an afternoon on the sofa with the Sunday papers and nothing else in the diary. Has it changed? Not too much. But it is wonderfully soothing to have it back.

Kotaku (no score):
Super Mario Maker 2 is almost here. While the improvements that Nintendo has made ensure it will likely have a much smoother launch than the first attempt, if that game's trajectory is any indication, the game's story is just beginning. We won't truly know how Super Mario Maker 2 did until millions of fans are bashing away at it. For now, I can say that Nintendo has delivered a much more robust and feature-rich Mario maker, and hope players will use it well.

Polygon (no score):
That's the magic of Super Mario Maker 2. Maybe you're after Miyamoto's title, an aspiring level-making genius. Or maybe you just want to kick back and experience the wide array of stages the game throws at you. Or maybe you want to make something that really pisses off your friends.

In Super Mario Maker 2, these are all totally viable and accessible options. You might find yourself playing for one version of the game, only to stay for another.

Ars Technica (no score):
We'll have to wait for the game to reach players' hands later this week to see how serious these problems actually end up being. Even in my limited pre-release testing period, with only a few creators' levels to pick through, Super Mario Maker 2 has already proven itself a wonderful package. Course creators can look forward to an amazing game-making tool set whose depth is matched by its accessibility, while players have a functionally endless set of Mario courses to dig through over the course of years. What's not to like?

VG247 (no score):
It all feels like a lot of content. Iterative sequels are obviously pretty common in video games, but when a game is built around user-generated content it's plainly more difficult to get right. Super Mario Maker 2 nails it, however, mashing together the joy of 2D Mario and the frightening ingenuity of a huge community of players to make for a Switch game we could easily all be playing in a decade. It's difficult to think of a more compelling argument than that.

The Verge (no score):
Super Mario Maker 2 is an excellent sequel, and I'm incredibly excited to see what the community does with it when it officially launches. I also really enjoy playing through levels on the go, something that wasn't possible with the Wii U. But while there have been plenty of Wii U games that migrated to the Switch — including Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze — this is the first time I've ever pined for the clunky Gamepad. It'll probably be the only time, too.

Waypoint (no score):
Without a robust and well-supported community, Mario Maker is nothing. In recent years, Nintendo has gotten better about listening to what its fans have asked for, like the ability to play as a person of color in an Animal Crossing game. But that's not always true, and it often feels like the company has to be dragged in that direction with great reluctance. Nintendo is a company that craves control, and what makes Mario Maker so different from its other creations is how much control is put in the hands of players. That also means they need to trust those players. I hope they do.

Mashable (no score):
Seeing what other people create on their blank Mario canvases is also a nice way to get inspired for your own creations, to see how different ideas can be implemented, and possibly most importantly, see what kinds of things don't work at all.

I'm excited to see thousands of community-made courses come pouring into the game.

Console Creatures (no score):
Super Mario Maker 2 improves on the established formula in every way and delivers an insanely satisfying Mario game. Loaded with over 100-Nintendo made courses, and all the tools to create your own, the fun won't stop because you'll end up making more of it. All the new features offer rewarding gameplay loops and the new themes and items end up creating memorable set pieces. If anything, this is what the original Super Mario Maker wanted to be at launch. I'm interested in seeing what the Nintendo community builds post launch of Super Mario Maker 2, those are the true testaments to creativity and where the real fun begins.

Geek.com (no score):
Super Mario Maker 2 is more educational software than game. Get it not just for your nostalgic dad but your learning-hungry grad. The new Story Mode is really just a set of tutorials showcasing fun uses of different level pieces. And along with offering chaotic new ways to play with friends, the new offline and online multiplayer options give creators another dimension to consider for level design. The fleshed-out tagging system makes it easier for levels to find their audience.

Engadget (no score):
Super Mario Maker 2 hits all of my nostalgia points, so I'm probably too biased to judge it fairly. Like many children of the '80s, I grew up with Mario. I vividly remember the day I learned you could warp through pipes (and just how confused my parents were when five-year-old me tried to explain it). When compared with the endless possibilities of a modern 3D game like Minecraft, how can something focused on creating 2D platforming levels seem anything but quaint? And yet, Mario Maker 2 still feels like another Nintendo classic.

Checkpoint (no score):
Super Mario Maker 2 is really something special, in that it's a solid game that gives you plenty to work through while also giving everyone the opportunity to create their own content and share it with the community. It's not just fun, it's educational, and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it leads to further game development in the future. For those wanting to create games themselves, this is really a dream come true!

Nintendo Life (10/10):
Put in as simple a manner as possible, this is likely to be the last 2D Mario game you'll need. It's Super Mario Maker but with more of everything that made the original so phenomenal. Enemies, themes, game styles, gizmos, powerups, the Story Mode having an actual story, multiplayer, the list of additional gubbins is truly massive when you take a step back. There are a few small niggles here and there, but they're overwhelmingly dwarfed by the sheer joy and unbridled freedom that exceeds the original in spades. Realistically this game poses the question as to whether this is the future for 2D Mario as a whole. For any fan of Mario who owns a Switch – heck, for any Switch owner full stop – buying this game is an absolute necessity.

We Got This Covered (5/5):
While I wouldn't go so far as to say that I took issue with it, the original Super Mario Maker had a few niggling shortcomings that kept it from achieving platforming perfection. This time around, I'm happy to report that the ship has been righted. From its newly-included single player mode, a robust suite of tutorials, and a beefy level sharing system, it's safe to say that we have come closer to reaching perfection. It might look like a simple level creation tool, but Super Mario Maker 2 is anything but. It's a celebration of everything Nintendo, and a perfect distillation of the creative spirit that has captured the hearts and minds of gamers for the past few decades.

Daily Star (5/5):
With even more tools and features than before, Super Mario Maker 2 is a fantastic level-making package deserving of its number. Even players without a creative itch will have a blast with story mode, and being on a console with an install base already much larger than its predecessor ever had, there'll no doubt be countless more exciting and inventive levels to come.

VGC (5/5):
Mario Maker 2 offers a fun and more dynamic package than the original game. A surprising and enjoyable Mario classic in the making, with plenty to offer creators and non-creators alike.

Stuff (5/5):
Time will tell if Super Mario Maker 2 becomes the bottomless treasure trove of Mario goodness that it has the potential to be. Nintendo has put the building blocks (and Yoshi Eggs, Propeller Mushrooms, Thwomps, Hammer Bros, Spike Pillars and Seesaws) in place. Now it's up to the community to get making.

And even if, like this writer, you quickly realise you're not the brilliantly inventive level designer you always hoped you would be, a combination of the plentiful bitesized story levels and pic 'n' mix thrills of Course World make this another must-have for your Switch library.

PowerUp! (9.8/10):
Super Mario Maker 2 is a must-play and a must-buy for anyone and everyone who owns a Switch. No question

IGN (9.5/10):
Super Mario Maker 2 is the most accessible game design tool ever created, and that core is just one part of a greater whole. I spent hours building levels, testing them, and starting over again, and I feel like I've only barely scratched the surface of what's possible. The Story Mode has a basic story, sure, but it's still a great excuse to introduce hundreds of novel, professionally made levels to play. Its design tutorials are so much more in depth than they ever needed to be, and you can take them or leave them as you see fit. Super Mario Maker 2 affords so much freedom in how you play, how you make, and even how you learn, it's astonishing how incredibly well it's all held together in one cohesive package.

Wccftech (9.5/10):
Super Mario Maker 2 is another Nintendo Switch essential. With more things to create with, more unique stages to play and better online functionality, this is the definitive Super Mario Maker experience. Honestly, the game is good enough to have the story mode sold separately, but the fact that it's bundled with such a powerful stage creation tool is incredible. This is one of the best Mario games of all time.

Stevivor (9.5/10):
Simply put, story mode alone is enough reason to buy the game. It features Mario courses built by Mario designers who are able to throw the rulebook away, creating some devilshly challenging courses that are equal parts frustrating and awe-inspiring. Yes, I realise I said I don't enjoy engaging with player-created courses that are sadistic, but it's another thing alogether when those levels come from the minds behind Mario classics of old. It's hard to pick favourites as there are so many unique and engaging ones.

If you've played Super Mario Maker, you already know this Switch sequel is a must-buy. If you're a Switch owner, Super Mario Maker 2 needs to be part of your collection. Easy as that.

VentureBeat (95/100):
Super Mario Maker was an ideal game for me. And I fell hard for it because I started exchanging levels with a reviewer from The Netherlands named Noie Hoek. Noie's levels drove me mad and to the edge of my abilities, but I couldn't get enough. Super Mario Maker 2 enables even more people to experience that battle between creator and player, and I can't wait to see Switch community embrace it.

And sure, I don't love the Story Mode, and Nintendo needs to fix its online matchmaking and leaderboards to work better for friends. But the stuff that has to work does. You can build levels really easily with the touch controls. You can exchange them with friends. And you can easily find everything you're looking for.

So as long as the war between me and Noie can rage on, I'm going to keep loving Super Mario Maker 2.

3DJuegos (9.5/10, review in Spanish):
A strong evolution, considering the previous entry. New story mode, 4-player multiplayer and an incredible quantity of tweaks in every aspect of the game. This is the sum-up for Super Mario Maker 2, an incredible editor and videogame.

Areajugones (9.5/10, review in Spanish):
In short, it makes creating levels as exciting or more exciting than playing them. Miyamoto would be proud.

Millenium (95/100, review in French):
If we were fearful of a 'Version 1.5' when the announcement of Super Mario Maker 2 was made, that is certainly not the case now. After a long time spent skimming its levels and creative tools, SMM2 has fully convinced us of its potential. Fun, filled with content, and always surprising, it's easy to get lost in the superlatives that describe this true 'social network' of 2D platform games. It's a new, instant hit for the Switch and close to perfection, which should appeal to budding level designers as much as lovers of the platform game genre.

BaziCenter (9.5/10, review in Farsi):
With a solid story campaign with 100 levels and a level design tool that allows players to create and play through each other's levels, Super Mario Maker 2 looks infinite. It is without a doubt one of the most complete Mario titles ever and one of the best titles available on Nintendo Switch.

Atomix (95/100, review in Spanish):
Super Mario Maker 2 is the definitive 2D Mario experience you can have. The powerful and versatile creation tool will blow your mind with all the possibilities to create the levels of which you have always dreamed.

The Games Machine (9.3/10, review in Italian):
Super Mario Maker 2 is a masterpiece. An exuberant and hilarious editor that makes the Wii U game look like a beta version. An irresistible tool used by Nintendo itself to create a brilliant story mode and an even more social chapter, perfect for sharing the experience, online or on the sofa.

Vandal (9.2/10, review in Spanish):
This sequel makes everything better, as simple as that. It's a title that can be enjoyed by any type of player, and we think you shouldn't miss it if you own a Switch.

GBAtemp (9.2/10):
All in all, Mario Maker 2 is a fantastic game for both creators and players. With new tools, new game modes, and an eternal source of content (assuming your Nintendo Switch Online subscription is live), this is a game that will keep you occupied for as long as you want to play Mario. For the uncreative among us, I encourage you to check this out, you don't need to be a maker to enjoy everything that is made.

Gamersky (9.2/10, review in Chinese):
Don't hesitate to put this sequel into your must-buy list if you enjoy creating and challenging in the original Super Mario Maker.

PLAY! Zine (9.1/10, review in Bosnian):
The most powerful Super Mario level designer tool is back. Whether you want to create or test out the creations of others, there is no doubt you will have a blast with Super Mario Maker 2. Unless Cappy brainwashed you and... Oh who am I kidding, this is a great game, and a must buy for any lover of the classic Super Mario platformer adventures.

GamesRadar+ (4.5/5):
Super Mario Maker 2 is an almost perfect package, putting equal emphasis on discovery, creation, story mode, and outright brilliant gameplay.

USgamer (4.5/5):
Players now have the chance to make their own hellish, evil Mario levels on Nintendo Switch. Super Mario Maker 2 starts with the foundation established in the first game, and adds new themes, new game styles, and new items. It falters due to the loss of the second screen of the Wii U and 3DS iterations, and the lack of Amiibo costumes hurt, but this is still a fantastic package for a Mario fan or budding lever designer.

Shacknews (9/10):
Super Mario Maker 2 is a worthy successor to the original game. The additions of the new Super Mario 3D World style and host of new features really make this feel like a solid evolution of that creative explosion that began in 2015 on the Wii U. For many players, Super Mario Maker 2 will feel like a revolution, while veteran creators will take their knowledge into a whole new wave of level design. Nintendo has provided players with the tools to create an infinite amount of challenging, fun, and ridiculous Mario levels. Now we can all play with power. Infinite power.

COGconnected (90/100):
After all, there's so many new tools! The slopes can send players on deadly trips towards unseen hazards. The multiplayer element means new, cooperative challenges can be cooked up. The clear conditions ramp up the stakes, forcing players to do more than just survive your carnival of horrors. It's no longer an easy choice to leave all those coins behind, to sacrifice that Yoshi, to take that huge risk. Even the switch blocks can transform the simplest layouts into devious labyrinths with no hope of escape. Hell, even completing this review has me simmering with new ideas. That's the curious power of the Mario Maker games. They can transform a passive audience member into an active participant. I'm dissecting stages and layouts with brand new vigor. Every design choice is something to be absorbed and digested for later use. Even if you don't fancy yourself a creator, I highly recommend Super Mario Maker 2. You'll be shocked at the subtle yet significant shift in your mindset.

CGMagazine (9/10):
It's difficult to pass judgment on Super Mario Maker 2 this early, as I assume less than half the game has revealed itself to me. There's a vibrant community of players and creators waiting to get their hands on this game and make it their own. And the issues I've had with the course curation system (or lack thereof) are either yet to be fully realized or could be of little consequence. What I can say is that Super Mario Maker 2 houses an exceptional series of courses, inspiring me to create experiences of my own. Then, it gives me the tools to do so at whatever pace I choose. It's an excellent game built and accompanied by an unbridled tool, and I cannot wait to see what everyone does with it.

Digitally Downloaded (4.5/5):
I really wanted to see a bigger improvement from the original Super Mario Maker to this sequel. The features that Nintendo has added in are nice, but with only one additional game environment to play around with in Super Mario 3D World, Nintendo is underselling the own rich heritage that it has to work with. With that being said, anything that encourages people to create, rather than just consume, is a noble cause, and Nintendo has managed to build something completely accessible despite giving users absolutely everything they need to recreate any Mario level. That's surely the holy grail of the creator genre.

Cubed3 (9/10):
A comprehensive mission-driven campaign, boundless tools and tiles and additional themes serve up a tonne of potential for creators. Super Mario Maker 2 offers a canvas to create a truly authentic Super Mario Bros. experience.

My Nintendo News (9/10):
With several ways to make and play, Super Mario Maker 2 is a stunning sequel for the Nintendo Switch. Create courses on the go or in co-op, try your hand at beating a level in the fastest time, or take inspiration from the developers themselves by playing the inventive levels seen in Story Mode. We just wish it had one more overworld to make those slots even. Super Mario Galaxy, anyone? After all, the sequel has the music and the Sky theme's night effect makes things float. We're already halfway there.

Nintenderos (9/10, review in Spanish):
The possibilities offered by Super Mario Maker 2 are practically endless. Create levels with many customization options or play the infinite creations of other players. The limits of the game are the limits of the imagination of its players.

Gamer.nl (9/10, review in Dutch):
This game is almost in every way bigger and better than its predecessor. There is a gigantic variety in parts, objects, themes and styles. Plus the newly added single-player mode that is a great inspiration.

FNintendo (9/10, review in Portuguese):
Super Mario Maker 2 could hardly be a better return of Nintendo's feat of Mario-based level design. Thanks to its wealth of content and options, simple interface, multiplayer component and sense of immersion, Super Mario Maker 2 is on a perfect track to become the main reference when it comes to games about platformers' design and one which will appeal to all kinds of players.

The Sydney Morning Herald (9/10):
Overall this is a stunning celebration of all things Super Mario, from the music and the art to the characters and items, and it's also a great social tool that uses the ubiquitous language of running and jumping to share gameplay and narrative ideas between players worldwide. It has lost a bit of its weird edge since last time, but it's also gained a lot more variety and much more substantial systems for sorting stages and playing with friends.

Vooks (4.5/5):
Super Mario Maker 2 is a much needed and long awaited addition to the Switch. Even the smaller additions to course-making goes a long way to giving players the tools they need to make courses that you wouldn't be able to distinguish from the real deal. If you're not interested in building levels, there's plenty to play in the story mode and the content from the Course World will ensure there's content for years to come. While there are some limitations that might irk hardcore course builders, there is so much more to like about the game. How can you pass up a Mario game that has the most inventive courses the series has seen in years!

Eurogamer Italy (9/10, review in Italian):
Super Mario Maker 2 is just brilliant. It takes the best elements of previous games of the series and merges them, adding a huge series of new elements and games modes. The course editor is deeper than ever and there are a new single player story mode, new competitive and cooperative modes both local and online. This is just dope and you cannot stop playing this game.

God is a Geek (9/10):
There's enough here to warrant the "2" in the title. This feels a more complete package overall. Super Mario 3D World's inclusion genuinely gives an almost entirely new way to create (and play), because the mechanics and items, enemies, and everything else that more modern game brings is a lot more than you might remember. Whether it's a simple level, a kart-racer, a shoot 'em up, a puzzle course, or whatever else your imagination can come up with, Super Mario Maker 2 is a delight. It's exactly what I wanted bar a few things, and the lack of Mario Bros. 2 still hurts (but is, I guess, understandable).

IGN Italia (9/10, review in Italian):
Well-crafted, feature rich and with all the class Nintendo can wield. An excellent editor that will keep creators and players busy for years.

Nintendo Insider (9/10):
It's funny every time I try to finalize this review I remember an exciting feature I'd forgotten to mention and have to go back. That's the kind of game Super Mario Maker 2 is though. It's a game that builds on the original in a number of smart ways introducing a wealth of new features, entertaining modes and appreciated improvements. It's a perfect fit for the Switch and a game where the best is yet to come. I for one cannot wait to see what the creative minds out there come up with over the coming months.

WellPlayed (9/10):
Super Mario Maker 2 does more than just rehash the same experience with extra stuff. It adds a meaningful and inspiring single player experience on top of a great set of tutorials and welcome new ways to play. It also adds a bunch of extra stuff, all of it substantial enough to radically change the way people create Mario levels and should mean we'll see some pretty great things come from the Maker community. Whether you're a player, a creator or anything in-between, Super Mario Maker 2 has you covered.

GameMAG (9/10, review in russian):
Super Mario Maker 2 is a great sequel to a popular game that is better than the original in everything. Given the deep editor and advanced online features, SMM2 is a real must buy for all fans of the genre.

SECTOR.sk (9/10, review in Slovak):
Super Mario Maker 2 has a lot to offer in terms of gameplay, creativity and almost infinite possibilities.

Glitched (9/10):
Super Mario Maker 2 could have been perfect if it mastered its local co-op but even without that feature, it is one fantastic game. Its Story Mode alone is worth its asking price and the endless array of courses you can find online and build yourself is just an added addition. I loved every moment of it and was hooked from the second I started building that darn castle. You will find lots to do here in Super Mario Maker 2.

Switch Player (4.5/5):
This is a grandiose, yet slightly imperfect follow-up to the Wii U's darling game. But for SMM2's faults and a lack of the original's wackiness, it truly does shine as another great do-it-yourself Mario game. Even if you don't want to build, the wide-ranging levels soon to be on offer can keep you going for many, many hours.

Impulse Gamer (4.5/5):
Super Mario Maker 2 adds a wealth of new features to an excellent foundation, but fails to address online issues.

Echo Boomer (9/10, review in Portuguese):
Another perfect game for Nintendo Switch. This time the players also get the role of level designers in a game where creativity has no limits.

Game Rant (4.5/5):
Super Mario Maker 2 has a bright future ahead of it, but it's still a fully-featured game at launch. The new tools make for exciting additions to the game, and users have already created spectacularly fun levels that can be downloaded right now. The multiplayer implementation in Super Mario Maker 2 definitely has room for improvement, but otherwise players should have a ton of fun with the game.

GamesFinest (9/10, review in German):
"Super Mario Maker 2" not only proves to be a worthy successor, but also adds a lot of fun in terms of construction. Nintendo has raised the voices of many fans and offers players comprehensive editors with which creative minds can let off steam for hours on end. While the Adventure mode doesn't offer a thrilling story, it's designed to give newcomers to building a good impression of the interplay of different level elements. But of course pure gamers also get their money's worth and can try out the absolute highlights among the creative works of other players thanks to various rankings and a comprehensive detailed search. Both die-hard Mario fans and creative builders will once again get their money's worth in Super Mario Maker 2.

LevelUp (9/10, review in Spanish):
Super Mario Maker 2 is a must have game for every Nintendo Switch owner. We are talking about a project that offers what seems like endless possibilities. All the additions are welcome and very fun to use and experiment with. It also tries it best to teach the player to design good levels and to think about the game in a creative way.

Twinfinite (4.5/5):
Super Mario Maker 2 is not without its small gripes, but if you put away the magnifying glass and look at the game on a whole, this game is a perfectly executed idea from Nintendo. This is the Mario Maker game creative fans have been dreaming of.

Attack of the Fanboy (4.5/5):
Sequels can bring about big changes and small changes for game franchises, and Mario Maker 2 does feel like a game that's made a lot of smaller changes. Those changes are mostly for the best as the existing formula didn't really need to be tweaked all that much. With some quality of life improvements, a robust set of social tools to discover, play and rate or publish your own content, Mario Maker 2 feels like a must own for any fan of the series.

Gaming Trend (90/100):
Super Mario Maker 2 is a game that transcends its flaws. While the game can improve in several key areas, these shortcomings are triumphantly eclipsed by the strengths of the game. From its robust and accessible suite of level creation tools to its myriad ways to play, the sheer potential for fun, subversive Mario experiences outshines any problem the game may have. Super Mario Maker 2 is more than a game, it's a community—one I plan on spending a lot of time in.

Game Revolution (4.5/5):
Despite recurring technical problems that have become synonymous with Nintendo games, Super Mario Maker 2 is still an essential Switch purchase, building upon the groundwork laid by its predecessor and adding so much more.

Metro Montreal (90/100, review in French):
Super Mario Maker 2 allows players to be much more innovative when they create levels, which makes them more fun to be played. If you like Mario, it's going to be hard to find a game with better value.

Cultured Vultures (9/10):
Super Mario Maker 2 is the ultimate package for both casual and dedicated Mario fans.

SA Gamer (9/10):
Although it could be argued that the WiiU's dual screen is still the ideal way to play (and a stylus is definitely a plus), SMM2 still manages to shine on the Switch. Designing is a perfect background activity and the wildly fun multiplayer modes are sure to provide longevity. SMM2 has something for all kinds of players and makers and is Nintendo back at their creative best.

INDIANTVCZ (9/10, review in Czech):
Yes, Nintendo could easily release the port of the original game and most players would probably be satisfied. Story mode, new editor options, and online gaming, however, push the sequel to an even higher level. If you want to immerse yourself in the world of level design or just looking for an endless well of level with a famous plumber, we can definitely recommend Super Mario Maker 2. Please just promise not to put invisible blocks in front of the target.

Hobby Consolas (89/100, review in Spanish):
SMM2 is more fun and full of content than its precursor, but at the same time it's a step back, because it puts walls around some content (World Levels, created by players), forcing you to subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online to play that part of the game. And it's an important chunk, because after completing the Story mode, it's the place to go.

Hardcore Gamer (4.5/5):
Super Mario Maker 2 is still heavily about the creation process, but adds great new features that make it even more enjoyable than ever before.

InsideGamer.nl (9/10), review in Dutch):
This game offers as many challenging gameplay as it's predecessor, while adding a fun story mode and playing online with friends. Mario only gets better.

Cheat Code Central (4.5/5):
There are a lot of things Super Mario Maker 2 gets right. The course creation tools are solid, and the tutorial lessons and story mode levels are good at helping people understand how things work and what they might want to do to create a fun level. It is disappointing the local multiplayer doesn't work as well and the game seems to ignore that people already have friends lists with people who they may want to play with or whose work they may want to see. Still, it is a promising game, and one that only has the potential to get better. Especially since getting to play online with friends is a feature that will come eventually.

Nintendo Enthusiast (9/10):
Ultimately, the replay value of Super Mario Maker 2 is an infinity symbol. There is just an insane number of variables that ensure inventive new levels will be created for years to come. Likewise, player rankings and unlockable costumes incentivize players to keep going. And when you start to get fatigued, you can always hop back into Story Mode to relax and recharge. Annoyances like imperfect building controls and laggy online play put a slight damper on things, but they're not deal-breakers. Super Mario Maker 2 is a mandatory Mario experience.

Gaming Bolt (9/10):
There's just so much to do in Super Mario Maker 2. People often say about certain games that they offer infinite content and endless replayability, but here, that's truer than it is in most other cases. Regardless of whether you're looking to create your own deathtraps and ingenious courses, or are just looking to enjoy the courses created by others – Nintendo included – there really is infinite content for you here. The fact that it's all so well-designed and easy to use, but also offers a ton of depth, makes it that much better. There's no two ways about it- if you own a Switch, you need to own Super Mario Maker 2 as well.

Digital Trends (4.5/5):
Super Mario Maker 2 is the best of both worlds. For creative-minded players, the level design suite is robust and includes a number of excellent new features to make an even greater variety of courses. For those who just want to play, Super Mario Maker 2 has an excellent campaign filled with 100-plus Nintendo-designed levels — not to mention the constantly growing library of user-created levels. The online multiplayer isn't feature-rich, but it doesn't stop Mario Maker 2 from joining the lineup of top-tier Nintendo Switch games.

Slant Magazine (4.5/5):
It's still heartening to see Nintendo show the ultimate in respect to the poor, neglected Wii U by giving its best games new life on the vastly more successful Switch. Seeing Super Mario Maker enhanced to the point of becoming a straight-up sequel is magnificent, even as a few stray three-steps-forward-one-step-back decisions keep the game from true perfection.

PCMag.com (4.5/5):
Super Mario Maker 2 lets you make your own Mario levels on the Nintendo Switch, with even more toys to play with than the first game.

Everyeye.it (8.8/10, review in Italian):
Super Mario Maker 2 represents today, despite some weaknesses, the most complete episode of the series: fanciful for the most passive platform devourers, indispensable for every creative of the Mushroom Kingdom that aims to be defined as such.

SpazioGames (8.8/10, review in Italian):
Super Mario Maker 2 is the perfect evolution for an already successful formula, thanks to its many additions that make the game even more rich than its predecessor.

Game Informer (8.75/10):
Super Mario Maker 2 is not a radical reinvention of the original Mario Maker, but it earns the "2" in its title with a story mode full of great Mario levels, worthwhile additions to the creation toolset, and new options for playing and creating cooperatively. The future is bright for Super Mario Maker 2, and I can't wait to see what the community makes with it. But even at this starting line, I had plenty of Mario to play and enjoy.

XGN (8.7/10, review in Dutch):
Super Mario Maker 2 expands on the first in a great way. New possibilities, a story mode and coop are a great addition. There are however a few details that can lead to some frustrations, but they are few and far between.

Gamereactor (8.7/10):
In its current state, the game is already a driving force, which can feel a bit exhausting at first because of the gigantic pool of creativity. Not only will Mario fans get their money's worth with Super Mario Maker 2 - anyone who feels somewhat attached to classic 2D platforming will too. And the best is yet to come because soon players will be able to discover all of these possibilities for themselves and surprise us with their own ideas (although to get involved with that portion of the game it's worth remembering that you need an online connection and Nintendo's premium membership).

Multiplayer.it (8.6/10, review in Italian):
The level editor present in Super Mario Maker 2 is amazing, better and more refined than the first one. With Nintendo Switch Online, it becomes an-almost-neverending game; without it, the Story Mode isn't enough to buy this title.

GamePro Germany (86/100, review in German):
Thanks to the many new options and themes, the possibilities are immense, and the excellent online connection guarantees constant supply. Nevertheless, the experience compared to the Wii U experience is sobering, at least if you go for the pure comfort. Here's how perfectly the concept was tailored to Nintendo's final console. Of course everything works well on the switch - but with the limitations of the hybrid concept.

Press Start (8.5/10):
Super Mario Maker 2 is a breath of fresh air. The story mode is fantastic, the online multiplayer additions are more than welcome and the new items and game modes are absolutely fantastic.

Nintendo World Report (8.5/10):
Super Mario Maker 2 is a sweet follow-up to my one of my favorite Wii U games. While some of the weird quirks are removed entirely, there is a lot to love here. The added functions in the editor make cleaner levels possible and ensure that players find unique twists to include every time. The Super Mario 3D World style and objectives in particular are game changers that completely change how levels are made. Course World has seen some massive overhauls and most are welcome additions to the overall package. Super Mario Maker 2's newfound strength is hidden within the details, and that is what I really like about it. In its wake, it lost some of its Mario Paint roots, but Story Mode brings enough fun to overcome that sadness. Players and creators, rejoice.

Critical Hit (8.5/10):
The original Super Mario Maker is an enduring bit of software, but this makes up for just about every one of the original's transgressions and adds a full-fat campaign to boot. It's lovely stuff, offering a world of infinite Mario that has a little something for everyone.

Financial Post (8.5/10):
I have no delusions about my abilities as a level designer. Much like my drawings and stories, I'll make these courses without expecting them to ever be seen by more than a few people. (If my experience with the original Super Mario Maker taught me anything, it's that getting your levels noticed and elevated within the community is perhaps the game's hardest challenge.)

No, my makings will be mostly just to please me. And in that, at least, Super Mario Maker 2 does share something in common with the many Super Mario games that inspired it: In the end, I played those for no other reason than personal satisfaction as well.

IGN Spain (8.5/10, review in Spanish):
The successful incorporation of the 3D World style, the maximum interest and invitation with the puzzle levels or all the inclusions for the multiplayer in all its aspects (especially when the patch arrives), compensate for the Story mode which has not been so inspired or that it remains somewhat tedious both on the touch screen with your finger and with the console in the Dock.

Jeuxvideo.com (17/20, review in French):
Certainly, the title could have tweaked some aspects like the often frustrating online multiplayer or the Gamepad Pro gameplay, but that does not take the Nintendo platform game away from excellence.

Meristation (8.5/10, review in Spanish):
Super Mario Maker 2 is a remarkable continuation from the original game. This new entry in the series takes the best elements of the previous one and adds a huge number of new elements, modes and styles. The creator mode is larger and deeper, the online multiplayer is just fun; but the story mode lacks on personality. Even though the game is bigger and extensive, it is definitely not the ultimate Mario Maker.

DualShockers (8.5/10):
Super Mario Maker 2 may make a weaker impression than the game-changing original, but it breaks out the gate with far fewer problems and with much more skill level appeal. Though it misses the mark in some highly-requested QoL improvements, it adds much more in value, diversity, and replayability. Super Mario Maker 2 is the game that keeps on giving, while leaving enough room to build in the future.

JeuxActu (17/20, review in French):
With a vast and directly available content, Super Mario Maker 2 is still a must in terms of creative tool, but made better thanks to the story mode. The only drawbacks are the 2 player creation, the online multiplayer mode, and the UI that still feels like it's been tailored for use with the stylus.

TechRaptor (8.5/10):
Super Mario Maker 2 is much more than an enhanced Switch port. Featuring a lengthy story mode, a myriad of smart additions, and more ways to create nightmarish abominations and call them Mario levels, this is some essential Mario that Switch owners won't want to miss.

Softpedia (8.5/10):
In all honesty, I have to admit I spent a good portion of my time playing the game in the level editor mode, and it all seemed so exciting knowing I could make a level just the way a like it.
The story mode isn't all too shabby at all, but the fact that you always know you still need more coins makes it feel a bit grindy as you always keep your eyes on the score, even if you don't do it on purpose.
All in all, I have to admit I had fun testing Super Mario Maker 2, and as soon as I'm done with this review, I'm going back to designing yet another level!

GameCrate (8.5/10):
Like we said, we can't call Super Mario Maker 2 a bad game, not by a long shot. It's just that it could be better. Heck, if a few usability issues were fixed and a few more items were added to maker mode, we would be giving this game a perfect 10/10. As it stands, there's room for improvement and hopefully we will see that improvement in future DLC patches.

Worth Playing (8.5/10):
All in all, Super Mario Maker 2 is about as solid of a sequel as you could ask for. It's fun and easy to play, offers a staggering amount of content, feels like it adds enough new fresh features that it isn't just a DLC/re-release with a fancy name, and it's generally everything the game should be. If you enjoy Mario-style gameplay, then you owe it to yourself to give SMM2 a shot. The Nintendo-provided levels are a delight to play, and there are so many varieties of user-created levels out there that you'll never run out of options.

Cerealkillerz (8.5/10, review in German):
Super Mario Maker 2 offers the complete construction kit-package for hobby Level Designer as well as Super Mario Veterans that want to challenge themselves or their friends offline and online. A little bit more creativity in the adventure mode of the game would've helped the game to reach its full potential but besides that Super Mario Maker 2 offers more than enough new content to get old fans of the first game to change to the Nintendo Switch.

Video Chums (8.4/10):
Super Mario Maker 2 does a fantastic job of laying the foundation for a seemingly endless supply of 2D platforming fun. Aside from some major issues with its multiplayer and a few other goofy decisions, it's an overall excellent experience.

4Players.de (84/100, review in German):
Bigger and incredibly intuitive to use: Even with its online problems and some irritating constraints, this is a highlight for creative Jump&Run-builders.

Power Unlimited (82/100, review in Dutch):
All the new and surprising combinations, elements and options make it that the possibilities in Mario Maker 2 now truly are limitless.

TheSixthAxis (8/10):
Super Mario Maker 2 is all that the original was and more. The Story Mode feels like a proper campaign, demoing all of the old and new feature and barmy possibilities found in the intuitive level creator. It's a shame that it features some typical Nintendo online stumbles, but it shouldn't be long before that's forgotten in the face of the boundless creativity of the Super Mario Maker community.

Metro GameCentral (8/10):
We'd love to see Mario Maker expanded so that it encompasses other styles of gameplay, and even 3D graphics, but even as it is now it's remarkable how much variety can be wrung out of seemingly simple items and mechanics. This is a far more entertaining package than any of the New Super Mario Bros. games and in the future, thanks to millions other players sharing their own creations, it's only going to get better.

GameSpot (8/10):
The Mario series is worth all the admiration it gets, and Super Mario Maker 2 is an excellent tool for picking it apart by pushing its enemies, mechanisms, and Mario, to their limit. I've yet to make a stage of my own that I think is worthy of sending out to other players, but I'm committed to getting there. Whether exploring the full potential of a single element or throwing things at the wall to see what sticks, I've got the itch to join the creator's club. Mario Maker 2 makes the learning process intuitive and enjoyable. Most importantly, it's enabled designers amateur and professional alike to share their creativity with the world. The community is off to a great start, and thankfully, the fun has only just begun.

Gameblog (8/10, review in French):
The story of Super Mario Maker 2 seems to be made quickly, with the reinforcement of Luigi as an extra, but still an excellent illustration of the additional perspectives offered by this component. These come to fill the main shortcomings of its predecessor, whether incredibly versatile mechanisms, almost magical staging tools and power-ups more or less hammers. Too bad that some of the most daring elements are confined to defined universes, with few means of control in a general way, the architectural vision remaining very square. This is the counterweight to the harmony deployed in this wonderful site, even easier to access moreover. And while cooperative work does not always work in synergy, the community dimension is more stimulating than ever. A new stone - solid and ingeniously carved - in the building construction "MarioWare".

The Digital Fix (8/10):
This is truly the definitive version of this concept, combining the charm of your every day Nintendo title with the galaxy brain creativity of the Nintendo fanbase, with so many tools and tricks. The only flaw with Super Mario Maker lies with its short Story Mode and personally that's overcome by what will essentially be endless player-made DLC levels, but that won't be immediate.

EGM (8/10):
Super Mario Maker 2 will please both dedicated level-builders and newcomers. Story Mode gives players a nice pu-pu platter of professionally made Mario levels, and the inclusion of 3D World's suite of tools and moves offer even the most seasoned veterans more with which to experiment. But in terms of pure scope and ambition, Super Mario Maker 2 more closely resembles the "Deluxe" Wii U rereleases that have become staples of the Switch's library. That's not necessarily a bad thing, since the formula is so exhaustive already. Just don't go in expecting a true evolution of the series—and get that Switch Online subscription ready.

Trusted Reviews (4/5):
Stage creation without a stylus can be a little clumsy on the Switch, and there isn't quite as much creative freedom as there is with other game makers such as LittleBigPlanet, but this is still easily the best Mario Maker yet and an excellent entry point for the series thanks to the new story mode. Of course, success depends on the productivity of the online community, but Nintendo looks to have provided all the necessary tools and features for this sequel to reach its skyscraper potential.

ScreenRant (4/5):
Super Mario Maker 2 offers an incredible amount of content and is one of the highlights of the Nintendo Switch's 2019 lineup. The omissions from the first game and the poor quality of the online modes are the only things holding it back from greatness. We can only hope that Nintendo is able to fix these issues with future updates in order to allow Super Mario Maker 2 to truly surpass its predecessor.

Mirror (4/5):
The wacky characters and nostalgic level themes make this game charming and endearing, and it's a vast improvement on the original in every way - being able to edit levels on your commute, then torture friends with them on the TV at home is a great experience.

Between the story mode, online challenges and tutorials there's loads to learn and do, but the learning is a really enjoyable and rewarding experience, and you can happily get lost in creating your dream Mario Land.

Pure Nintendo (7.5/10):
I expected Super Mario Maker 2 to be an outstanding sequel but instead, it's simply good. It takes steps forward and back in near equal measure, having significant post-launch shortcomings that go beyond mere nitpicking.

Last edited:

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
"A wide variety of new features and plenty of creativity propel this Switch sequel, but a handful of user-unfriendly aspects hold it back from true greatness."

Sep 12, 2018
91 here we go.

St05I0v.gif

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

But something along the lines of:

"Having to make the initial choice between the 'Classic / NSMB' and '3D World' toolset makes the game feel needlessly disjointed and severely limits ones creativity further down the course-making process"

also:

"I never thought i'd be wishing for a resistive (as opposed to capacitive) touch screen on my 2018 console, but here i am"

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling people might mark it down for online multi with friends not working out of the gate.

Other then that, everything I've seen in the videos makes me think it should be 9-10 scores, depending on how good the nintendo levels are. I just wish they added more enemies for the classic styles, that was the only disappointment for me.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I have a feeling ~85. Solid transfer from Wii U to Switch with a cool new game style and some really exciting new features (including multiplayer and story mode) but have a feeling those who provide a score now before DLC will probably criticise it heavily for the tricky controls and no friend online, and a string of other limitations or disappointing exclusions.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The first one had 88 MC, and while this second part has more features, I think it'll review a bit lower because I feel there's significantly less hype riding it. Still, the amount of improvements and content should be enough for a ~ 85 MC. Not sure what to vote though, could be 84 but could also be 86.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Def a title where I couldn't care less about the scores or reviews - it should do well though.

Deleted member 51797

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Depending on how the online mechanics and especially the filtering / curating and endless mode work this will be between 85 and 95...

... I hope.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna be one of those weird cases where an objectively superior sequel ends up with a lower score than the original due to "not enough new stuff and a few seemingly needless limitations." Regardless, I can't wait for this game!

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
While it has improvements over the original, the amount of potential improvements that they DIDN'T do mixed with some weird choices might make it score close to the original

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
This is gonna be one of those weird cases where an objectively superior sequel ends up with a lower score than the original due to "not enough new stuff and a few seemingly needless limitations." Regardless, I can't wait for this game!
Yeah, which is why the score should be utterly overlooked (as with most aggregations to be honest).

This is more of a tool than a game, and builds off something that was bristling with brilliance to begin with.

Hard to wow with it. And easy to disappoint.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I voted 85-89 (I think 89 is where it's gonna end up), but I can see it ending up one or maybe 2 points higher.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
It will get deducted points for search, sharing and other community tools. Expecting solid 85 metascore.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I predict 87-88

Some will love it while others will think it's more of the same with extras and more like a Expansion or dlc to the original

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
But... Why? What does this offer over the first game that scored much lower? Genuinely asking that question, I have a Switch but have payed minimal attention

It's on the Switch, which people like, rather than the WiiU, which people hated.

Making Mario on the bus/on your lunch break is a USP like no other. MM2 can be an amazing "mobile" game, it's perfect for playing 5 minutes at a time.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
But... Why? What does this offer over the first game that scored much lower? Genuinely asking that question, I have a Switch but have payed minimal attention

Big things for me are multiplayer (both vs and coop, both local and online), a light story mode, on/off blocks, 3D World style, new themes, slopes, vertical subareas....quite a lot of stuff that will allow for much more intricate levels, more fun to both build and play.

There's really a ton of new content, the only thing that disappoints me is not much of that is extra enemies.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking 88 to 91 metacritics, there is still some stuff we don't know about that can impact the reviews, even if they promised online multiplayers with friends, it won't be there at launch, and making courses on Wii U gamepad was way better and intuitive.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I reckon it won't score lower for the same reasons Smash Ultimate didn't score lower than Smash 4, why Splatoon 2 didn't score lower than Splatoon, or why MK8DX didn't score lower than Mario Kart 8. Too much of a straight up improvement with more appealing selling points. I can see sites like Gamexplain be a little more reserved about the minor details though.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking around 85, maybe a bit lower. But I've been pretty bad at predicting these lately (see Anthem and Days Gone).

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What worries me is that André from Gamexplain was quite down on how the game controls. I wonder if that will be a gamebreaker or if one becomes used to it after some time (Andre only had his preview, I think 1 hour of gameplay, to form that preview opinion).

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Guessed low 90s but could also see high 80s due to issues with the controls docked.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Low to mid 80s.

I expect a lot of reviewers to harp on the removed/missing features.

I could see it making the high 80s range if the story mode levels are really good.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
It has more features, but I'm curious to see if it scores lower due to the lack of intuitive controls compared to the previous game. I'm guessing 85 metacritic

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
What worries me is that André from Gamexplain was quite down on how the game controls. I wonder if that will be a gamebreaker or if one becomes used to it after some time (Andre only had his preview, I think 1 hour of gameplay, to form that preview opinion).

Level editing specifically and how he missed the gamepad, not playing the levels.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is 83-86

83 is my personal guess but I think it'll do a bit better.

But I could be wrong.

Any idea on the embargo?