• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 13 1.8%
  • 95 - 99

Votes: 37 5.2%
  • 90 - 94

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 85 - 89

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 80 - 84

Votes: 70 9.9%
  • 75-79

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • under 75

Votes: 8 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KuDetat

Oct 27, 2017
Weird question, but is the multiplayer for this going to be anything like Ultimate Chicken Horse? I've never played any Mario Maker and UCH is like the biggest hit on my switch as a go-to multiplayer game to play when my friends come over.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Weird question, but is the multiplayer for this going to be anything like Ultimate Chicken Horse? I've never played any Mario Maker and UCH is like the biggest hit on my switch as a go-to multiplayer game to play when my friends come over.
No, vs multi is race to the finish/objective

Although it's not impossible for them to add something like that down the line.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mirror (4/5):
The wacky characters and nostalgic level themes make this game charming and endearing, and it's a vast improvement on the original in every way - being able to edit levels on your commute, then torture friends with them on the TV at home is a great experience.

Between the story mode, online challenges and tutorials there's loads to learn and do, but the learning is a really enjoyable and rewarding experience, and you can happily get lost in creating your dream Mario Land.

Geek.com (no score):
Super Mario Maker 2 is more educational software than game. Get it not just for your nostalgic dad but your learning-hungry grad. The new Story Mode is really just a set of tutorials showcasing fun uses of different level pieces. And along with offering chaotic new ways to play with friends, the new offline and online multiplayer options give creators another dimension to consider for level design. The fleshed-out tagging system makes it easier for levels to find their audience.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Is it worth buying for the campaign alone? No interest in Building stages or getting a Nintendo Online Subscription.
Levels are shorter than typical NSMB levels but in my opinion they are way, way more creative. If you like 2D Mario this can't be missed.
Also, you don't have to subscribe for full year, maybe for some months and you will enjoy playing countless levels by the community.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
InsideGamer.nl (9/10), review in dutch, google translation:
Super Mario Maker 2 offers at least as much challenge as the first Mario Maker, but adds a funny story mode, various new themes and a fun written tutorial. Being able to play online with friends, but also putting together a level together on the couch makes Mario more and more fun.

SA Gamer (9/10):
Although it could be argued that the WiiU's dual screen is still the ideal way to play (and a stylus is definitely a plus), SMM2 still manages to shine on the Switch. Designing is a perfect background activity and the wildly fun multiplayer modes are sure to provide longevity. SMM2 has something for all kinds of players and makers and is Nintendo back at their creative best.

INDIANTVCZ (9/10), review in czech, google translation:
Yes, Nintendo could easily release the port of the original game and most players would probably be satisfied. Story mode, new editor options, and online gaming, however, push the sequel to an even higher level. If you want to immerse yourself in the world of level design or just looking for an endless well of level with a famous plumber, we can definitely recommend Super Mario Maker 2. Please just promise not to put invisible blocks in front of the target.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 20% through the story mode, and I'm thrilled to report that - so far - Nintendo has finally created another 2D Mario game that can proudly stand alongside 1, 2, 3, World, and Island. It's been, what, over a quarter centuries since the last can't-miss sidescrolling Mario campaign?

Excellent, excellent stuff.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of reviews have stated that they thought making levels was better with the touchscreen, but I'm finding using a controller way better for everything besides mass erasing or mass ground tile placement. I like the controls for building levels a lot - my brain is more of the bottleneck, not the controls.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 20% through the story mode, and I'm thrilled to report that - so far - Nintendo has finally created another 2D Mario game that can proudly stand alongside 1, 2, 3, World, and Island. It's been, what, over a quarter centuries since the last can't-miss sidescrolling Mario campaign?

Curious where you would rate NSMBU?

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017

You might not like the art style but nsmb wii and wii u both have excellent level design

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
You might not like the art style but nsmb wii and wii u both have excellent level design
Level design is a very important part of a platformer, but the audiovisual experience is just as important to me. And the NSMB series fail miserably from a sound and art standpoint. The experience is greatly hampered because of that.

That being said, NSMBU is a solid platformer. Just can't stand the soundtrack and art style.

Oct 25, 2017
Curious where you would rate NSMBU?
NSMBU is definitely the best of the NSMB games because of the tight controls and strong level design, but there's still a wide gulf between the best New Super Mario Bros. game and SMB 1/2/3 + World + YI + (now) Maker 2.

Art style and music are of high importance to me when it comes to Mario; but even if you don't put as much stock in those presentational elements, the sheer joy of discovery and surprise within Maker 2's campaign elevates it above anything I've ever gotten out of a NSMB game. There are so many additional tools to use that the type of levels Nintendo serves up are completely different than anything that would have been possible in a more traditional Mario title.

I should note though that I have NOT played Mario Maker for 3DS, which also had hand-crafted levels from Nintendo. I can't imagine them being as ambitious as what's on offer in 2, but I feel it's an important point of clarification to make.

I've payed 'em all, and I agree U has excellent level design. I'm not as hot on NSMBWii, but I understand the appeal.

I grade Mario games within the context of the franchise instead of within the whole industry. NSMB Wii may be a great video game in totality when measured against every other piece of software released on every other system, but when you shrink the pool of competition down to solely hone in on the insane heights the Mario series has reached over the years, I don't think any of the NSMB games even qualify as being eligible for the discussion (though I'm at least sympathetic toward the U lovers out there, so I can understand why some hold it up as one of the best).

To be clear, it's probable that Maker 2 will ultimately land toward the bottom of the top-tier singleplayer Mario experiences for me. But that doesn't in any way diminish my sheer gratitude that Nintendo finally made another 2D Mario campaign with a strong enough identity to be in the same conversation about the best the series has to offer. They clearly didn't need to include a story mode to still sell millions upon millions, but they went the extra mile anyway. I'm really appreciative of that <3

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hardcore Gamer (4.5/5):
Super Mario Maker 2 is still heavily about the creation process, but adds great new features that make it even more enjoyable than ever before. This makes it much more of a title built for creators and players than its predecessor, even if building is still the key element. Super Mario Maker 2 is full of tons of things to do and endless levels waiting to be made. This is a must-have for fans of Mario and all of those who may have missed out on the original. It's a creator's dream come true with the amount of tools available and an all-around great way to enjoy Mario levels made by fans for fans. Super Mario Maker 2 improves all the core aspects that made the original fun and it hopefully lasts a good long while to see all the fantastic levels that come of it.

Checkpoint (no score):
Super Mario Maker 2 is really something special, in that it's a solid game that gives you plenty to work through while also giving everyone the opportunity to create their own content and share it with the community. It's not just fun, it's educational, and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it leads to further game development in the future. For those wanting to create games themselves, this is really a dream come true!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Digital Trends (4.5/5):
Super Mario Maker 2 is the best of both worlds. For creative-minded players, the level design suite is robust and includes a number of excellent new features to make an even greater variety of courses. For those who just want to play, Super Mario Maker 2 has an excellent campaign filled with 100-plus Nintendo-designed levels — not to mention the constantly growing library of user-created levels. The online multiplayer isn't feature-rich, but it doesn't stop Mario Maker 2 from joining the lineup of top-tier Nintendo Switch games.

GameCrate (8.5/10):
Like we said, we can't call Super Mario Maker 2 a bad game, not by a long shot. It's just that it could be better. Heck, if a few usability issues were fixed and a few more items were added to maker mode, we would be giving this game a perfect 10/10. As it stands, there's room for improvement and hopefully we will see that improvement in future DLC patches.

Worth Playing (8.5/10):
All in all, Super Mario Maker 2 is about as solid of a sequel as you could ask for. It's fun and easy to play, offers a staggering amount of content, feels like it adds enough new fresh features that it isn't just a DLC/re-release with a fancy name, and it's generally everything the game should be. If you enjoy Mario-style gameplay, then you owe it to yourself to give SMM2 a shot. The Nintendo-provided levels are a delight to play, and there are so many varieties of user-created levels out there that you'll never run out of options.

Nintendo Enthusiast (9/10):
Ultimately, the replay value of Super Mario Maker 2 is an infinity symbol. There is just an insane number of variables that ensure inventive new levels will be created for years to come. Likewise, player rankings and unlockable costumes incentivize players to keep going. And when you start to get fatigued, you can always hop back into Story Mode to relax and recharge. Annoyances like imperfect building controls and laggy online play put a slight damper on things, but they're not deal-breakers. Super Mario Maker 2 is a mandatory Mario experience.

Gaming Bolt (9/10):
There's just so much to do in Super Mario Maker 2. People often say about certain games that they offer infinite content and endless replayability, but here, that's truer than it is in most other cases. Regardless of whether you're looking to create your own deathtraps and ingenious courses, or are just looking to enjoy the courses created by others – Nintendo included – there really is infinite content for you here. The fact that it's all so well-designed and easy to use, but also offers a ton of depth, makes it that much better. There's no two ways about it- if you own a Switch, you need to own Super Mario Maker 2 as well.

Softpedia (8.5/10):
In all honesty, I have to admit I spent a good portion of my time playing the game in the level editor mode, and it all seemed so exciting knowing I could make a level just the way a like it.
The story mode isn't all too shabby at all, but the fact that you always know you still need more coins makes it feel a bit grindy as you always keep your eyes on the score, even if you don't do it on purpose.
All in all, I have to admit I had fun testing Super Mario Maker 2, and as soon as I'm done with this review, I'm going back to designing yet another level!

Cheat Code Central (4.5/5):
There are a lot of things Super Mario Maker 2 gets right. The course creation tools are solid, and the tutorial lessons and story mode levels are good at helping people understand how things work and what they might want to do to create a fun level. It is disappointing the local multiplayer doesn't work as well and the game seems to ignore that people already have friends lists with people who they may want to play with or whose work they may want to see. Still, it is a promising game, and one that only has the potential to get better. Especially since getting to play online with friends is a feature that will come eventually.

Atomix (95/100), review in spanish, google translation:
Super Mario Maker 2 is the most complete tool if it comes to going crazy with the assets of a classic character in the history of video games. If you are looking for an endless way to play with Mario and share your creativity with a very active community, then this is a game that should not be missing from your Nintendo Switch library.

Cultured Vultures (9/10):
The current lack of Amiibo Support and one or two needed improvements to the online modes mean it isn't "perfect", but Super Mario Maker 2 is the ultimate package for both casual and dedicated Mario fans. Absolutely brilliant.

ScreenRant (4/5):
Super Mario Maker 2 offers an incredible amount of content and is one of the highlights of the Nintendo Switch's 2019 lineup. The omissions from the first game and the poor quality of the online modes are the only things holding it back from greatness. We can only hope that Nintendo is able to fix these issues with future updates in order to allow Super Mario Maker 2 to truly surpass its predecessor.

Metro Montreal (90/100), review in french, google translation:
I really enjoyed Super Mario Maker at its launch in 2015, but my love affair with the title was short-lived. The lack of advanced tools limited the possibilities too much. His successor corrects this deficiency overall brilliantly. There is still some progress to be made (for example, I would like to copy and paste sections of his paintings), but I still plan to play for a long time.

4Players.de (84/100), review in german, google translation:
Offline, Super Mario Maker 2 is a dream for level hobbyists and friends of crisp jump-n-run challenges! The highlight is still the unrivaled intuitive touchscreen editor, which thanks to the box structure can also be used excellently on the screen of the Switch. There are also many useful innovations, areas and building blocks, including slopes, sun and moon, special rules, the cool tubes or the rhythmically flashing platforms from Super Mario 3D World. Nice that Nintendo has lifted many nonsensical restrictions of the predecessor. But many quirks at the new multiplayer part cause shaking heads: How can one expect his customers such an on-line performance, which reaches up to unplayable slow motion? Why do not user levels have full leaderboards? Why is there a Joycon compulsion when working together as a couple? Mario fans will not get the ultimate hopping kit with Super Mario Maker 2 either, especially since creative natures can not let off steam here as freely and imaginatively as in Media Molecules games. If you can not get enough of Mario and its precise handling, you will still get your money's worth!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GameSpot (8/10), final review:
The Mario series is worth all the admiration it gets, and Super Mario Maker 2 is an excellent tool for picking it apart by pushing its enemies, mechanisms, and Mario, to their limit. I've yet to make a stage of my own that I think is worthy of sending out to other players, but I'm committed to getting there. Whether exploring the full potential of a single element or throwing things at the wall to see what sticks, I've got the itch to join the creator's club. Mario Maker 2 makes the learning process intuitive and enjoyable. Most importantly, it's enabled designers amateur and professional alike to share their creativity with the world. The community is off to a great start, and thankfully, the fun has only just begun.

Video Chums (8.4/10):
Super Mario Maker 2 does a fantastic job of laying the foundation for a seemingly endless supply of 2D platforming fun. Aside from some major issues with its multiplayer and a few other goofy decisions, it's an overall excellent experience.

Game Revolution (4.5/5):
Super Mario Maker 2 is a joyous celebration of the intricacies that go into designing the perfect level. It's a game where you can invest hours creating and playtesting one short section of one small level, or decide to do away with creation altogether in favor of playing through its ever-growing number of courses. Despite recurring technical problems that have become synonymous with Nintendo games, Super Mario Maker 2 is still an essential Switch purchase, building upon the groundwork laid by its predecessor and adding so much more.

Gamersky (9.2/10), review in chinese, google translation:
"Super Mario Maker 2" adds a lot of new elements to the previous work, allowing players to design more rich levels. Openness and creativity are the biggest advantages of the game. The huge player community is the foundation of the game. Nintendo perfectly combines the two and once again presents players with such a game-like work. I believe that fans of the Mario series will not regret this game.

Gaming Trend (90/100):
Super Mario Maker 2 is a game that transcends its flaws. While the game can improve in several key areas, these shortcomings are triumphantly eclipsed by the strengths of the game. From its robust and accessible suite of level creation tools to its myriad ways to play, the sheer potential for fun, subversive Mario experiences outshines any problem the game may have. Super Mario Maker 2 is more than a game, it's a community—one I plan on spending a lot of time in.

Game Reload

Jul 3, 2019
Here is our review from Game Reload:

Super Mario Maker 2 is a fantastic game. With all the new features and improvements, it definitely stands out as a significant improvement over the original game. Is it a true sequel? Yes, it is a full sequel to the original game, and yet it manages to maintain the charm and feel of the original. With DLC in some form inevitably to come in the form of new game styles, this game will even further stand out as a sequel in the near future. For now, it is almost perfect. It is an absolutely amazing game that no one with a Switch should pass on. In fact, many people should go out and buy a switch for this game.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TechRaptor (8.5/10):
Super Mario Maker 2 is much more than an enhanced Switch port. Featuring a lengthy story mode, a myriad of smart additions, and more ways to create nightmarish abominations and call them Mario levels, this is some essential Mario that Switch owners won't want to miss.

Attack of the Fanboy (4.5/5):
Sequels can bring about big changes and small changes for game franchises, and Mario Maker 2 does feel like a game that's made a lot of smaller changes. Those changes are mostly for the best as the existing formula didn't really need to be tweaked all that much. With some quality of life improvements, a robust set of social tools to discover, play and rate or publish your own content, Mario Maker 2 feels like a must own for any fan of the series.

LevelUp (9/10), review in spanish, google translation:
In summary: I highly recommend Super Mario Maker 2, both those who see it as a tool for creation, and those who just want to play. It is a high quality game that manages to overcome its predecessor in almost every way and that leaves me excited to see what your community can do once you know how to take advantage of all its tools.

Twinfinite (4.5/5):
Super Mario Maker 2 is not without its small gripes, but if you put away the magnifying glass and look at the game on a whole, this game is a perfectly executed idea from Nintendo. This is the Mario Maker game creative fans have been dreaming of.

GamesFinest (9/10), review in german, google translation:
"Super Mario Maker 2" not only proves to be a worthy successor, but also puts a lot of fun in terms of building fun. Nintendo has raised the voices of many fans and offers the player even more extensive editors, with whom creative people can let off steam for hours. The adventure mode offers no gripping story, but is designed so that especially newbies get a good idea of the interaction of different level elements. Of course, pure gamers will also get their money's worth and, thanks to various ranking lists and a comprehensive search for details, will be able to try out the absolute highlights among other players' creations. Both diehard Mario fans and creative master builders will get their money's worth again in "Super Mario Maker 2".

GBAtemp (9.2/10):
All in all, Mario Maker 2 is a fantastic game for both creators and players. With new tools, new game modes, and an eternal source of content (assuming your Nintendo Switch Online subscription is live), this is a game that will keep you occupied for as long as you want to play Mario. For the uncreative among us, I encourage you to check this out, you don't need to be a maker to enjoy everything that is made.

Game Rant (4.5/5):
Super Mario Maker 2 has a bright future ahead of it, but it's still a fully-featured game at launch. The new tools make for exciting additions to the game, and users have already created spectacularly fun levels that can be downloaded right now. The multiplayer implementation in Super Mario Maker 2 definitely has room for improvement, but otherwise players should have a ton of fun with the game.

Impulse Gamer (4.5/5):
It's easy to simply state that Super Mario Maker 2 takes the original Mario Maker formula and just adds more, but I think that's underselling just how much more there is. There's new tile sets, new items, new level mechanics and new game themes. There's an excellent story mode that is, admittedly, rather light on story but heavy on entertaining dialogue and fun levels to play through. Local multiplayer functionality has been introduced and there's been plenty of new online features added too. Unfortunately, many of the archaic online systems revolving around sharing levels and playing with friends that plagued the first game stubbornly remain, and the lack of Amiibo support is disappointing. The necessity of a Nintendo Switch Online subscription to fully enjoy some of Super Mario Maker 2'sbest features is an unfortunate reality for Switch owners, but the wealth of amazing online content is worth the price of admission in my eyes. If you own a Nintendo Switch, Super Mario Maker 2 deserves to be permanently installed on your system.

Echo Boomer (9/10), review in portuguese, google translation:
Super Mario Maker 2 is a game for everyone, extremely dense and full of potential. As you experiment with your tools, some limitations start to be discovered and sometimes it feels like you can not do everything you want as you want. However, the combinations are so many and the results already available created by other players are so many and sometimes so cool that Super Mario Maker 2 seems to be an infinite game in different dimensions.

BaziCenter (9.5/10), review in farsi, my own translation 🙃:
Super Mario Maker 2 succeeds at being one of the biggest and most complete title on the Switch and in the Mario series by offering a complete story mode with over 100 interesting levels, great level creation tools and the ability to play levels created by other people. The only criticism is about the multiplayer modes that suffer from connectivity and lag issues that hinder the enjoyment from these modes. In the end, if you're a fan of Mario like the writer, you will definitely be satisfied with Super Mario Maker 2.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Awesome game. Kinda mid-boggling what people have already been able to cook up (although maybe less so for folks who played the first one?). I had my reservations about buying it and I'm glad I did!

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
My current GOTY, not that the competition is stiff in terms of pure fun (Sorry RE2, DMCV, Sekiro and Baba is You)

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Quoting NintendoLife with a Nintendo first party game's reviews is almost cheating :P Anything not terrible is basically an automatic 9 or 10.

Other than that it's fun little trailer. Game truly deserves the praise, and while there's some odd limitations here and there it's just a joy to play.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pure Nintendo (7.5/10):
I expected Super Mario Maker 2 to be an outstanding sequel but instead, it's simply good. It takes steps forward and back in near equal measure, having significant post-launch shortcomings that go beyond mere nitpicking. Namely, the inferior online implementation at present, especially the, at times, borderline-unplayable online multiplayer. I certainly don't expect perfect, but I also don't expect a selling point this flawed from the Big N. It forfeits the right to a higher score, but I'm absolutely confident the game will continue to improve with updates. Meanwhile, it still offers a ton of creative potential and courses to play, representing good value for the cost.

Switch Player (4.5/5):
This is a grandiose, yet slightly imperfect follow-up to the Wii U's darling game. But for SMM2's faults and a lack of the original's wackiness, it truly does shine as another great do-it-yourself Mario game. Even if you don't want to build, the wide-ranging levels soon to be on offer can keep you going for many, many hours.

JeuxActu (17/20), review in french, google translation:
Even if Super Mario Maker 2 is just a proven formula, the concept remains highly addictive, especially since almost all the content is available from the start. No need to wait for the days to enjoy Super Mario 3D World and new interactions it brings, not to mention the "Story" mode that instills the basics of the game to perfection. wandering online as one realizes the overflowing creativity of the community, the latter being as ruthless as docile. Can not be caught off guard anyway, with all the filters set up by the developers. In the end, Super Mario Maker 2 stumbles on three points that deserve to be reviewed: the creation of levels to two, the lack of ergonomics when you do without the stylus, and online multi that struggles despite some parties fendardes. Nevertheless, we can talk about new value safe for the Switch.

Gamer.no (8/10), review in norwegian, google translation:
Super Mario Maker 2 is a fabulous sequel, taking an already successful basic concept and making it bigger and better. I predict that it will take many hours in this game and that it justifies a subscription to Nintendo's online service.

Slant Magazine (4.5/5):
It's still heartening to see Nintendo show the ultimate in respect to the poor, neglected Wii U by giving its best games new life on the vastly more successful Switch. Seeing Super Mario Maker enhanced to the point of becoming a straight-up sequel is magnificent, even as a few stray three-steps-forward-one-step-back decisions keep the game from true perfection.

DualShockers (8.5/10):
Super Mario Maker 2 may make a weaker impression than the game-changing original, but it breaks out the gate with far fewer problems and with much more skill level appeal. Though it misses the mark in some highly-requested QoL improvements, it adds much more in value, diversity, and replayability. Super Mario Maker 2 is the game that keeps on giving, while leaving enough room to build in the future.

Last edited: