• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 13 1.8%
  • 95 - 99

Votes: 37 5.2%
  • 90 - 94

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 85 - 89

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 80 - 84

Votes: 70 9.9%
  • 75-79

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • under 75

Votes: 8 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 26, 2017
I just have the feeling "Nintendo" games mostly get a pass for certain flaws, that's all.

I mean, you can see on this thread that Nintendo games are treated differently. How dare him, GameXplain, to actually criticize something, out with the torches and pitchforks!

I just respect what they did here.
They really aren't, not anymore than any other beloved publisher and/or developer out there

You mean like how folk got salty over God of War's Edge score or Day's Gone Metacritic score? Fanboyism is far from a Nintendo fan only trait

They're far from the only ones who have ever voiced criticism on Nintendo. Nintendo is hardly immune to criticism

Sounds like GameXplain's review is the first one I'll be referring to when I get home, going by some comments here and I ain't surprised by those who are taking issue with GX's comments lol. We'll see.

And yes, I'm buying the game on Friday as soon as I'm free from my job interview, but some of you people seem like you phisically hurt when a Nintendo game is criticized.
Not very different from how folk here got upset over Day's Gone or God of War

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah some of the decisions they made around multiplayer are boggling even by Nintendo standards.

That said the rest of the game looks phenomenal, can't wait.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Most often than not people I ignore on this site don't argue in good faith. Just sayin'.

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Yeah, there is a place for these kind of reviews but you wanna be quite invested in the series and know the reviewer as well otherwise they can come of more negative than they probably are meant to be. If this is your first review or experience with the series (many skipped the WiiU or didnt play the 3DS game) it can sound quite harsh overall.

Yeah - this only happens with Nintendo game and not every other big release.
The irony of people not being happy with a review = torches and pitchforks lol.
It works both ways.
Yup.

Remember God of War Edge review.

That was a real shit show.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Really liked Andre from GameXplain's very honest review. As strictly a player and not a creator, I think the game will be great for me, but his valid criticisms of the design tools and multiplayer may make a lot of people a bit divided on this one. We'll see how it goes.
Yup. Exactly.

Gamexplain is historically very, very positive toward Nintendo and Andre in particular with Mario games.

His complaints are all completely valid and not in any way nitpicking. They actually impact the player experience and I appreciate him for highlighting issues that other reviews I've been picking through either gloss over or ignore.

Fucking unbelievable to see people whining that their reviews are too harsh. Pathetic.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Not very different from how folk here got upset over Day's Gone or God of War
Is this whataboutism? I wasn't too interested in GoW or Days Gone when they launched so I didn't pay attention to their review thread from what I remember, I'm sure I would've called people out for not handling some reviews too well.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
User Banned (3 days): dismissing harassment
These were all relegated to a sub-section at the very end of the review as part of a larger point about the presentation. How is that an issue?

Did you stop to think about why that might be, or are you proposing I made it up?

I'm human too, as it turns out and the vitriol gets grating. But I'm guessing you'll brush it brush as another defensive reaction, huh?

Of course the offensive comment is deleted by now, but if that was the level of feedback you were generally getting there would be more of it already and it wouldn't be easily moderated. You've signal boosted it as representative of the level of feedback you've had instead of being an outlier.

Your describing a little snark in the comments and some people discussing issues they had with the review as "vitriol" is very much exactly the kind of defensiveness I'm talking about yes.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The GameXplain review was really informative. Some of these changes made from the first game are baffling and i can't really see why Nintendo made them. This is disappointing and i no longer think i'm getting this day 1.

Also everything regarding the multiplayer is a complete mess.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This GX controversy feels blown up when it shouldn't be. Reviews are opinion based at the end of the day. It's also important to remember just how much Andre invested into the first game, which is why he's able to more vividly see the holes and omissions in SMM2 compared to its predecessor.

Personally I won't miss most of the nuances and smaller details he mentioned, but I'm sure even just the worse controls will dampen my enjoyment to a degree coming off of hundreds of hours in the first game.

Off topic i guess, but damn, that's madness.
To be fair, we're talking about Splatoon 2 at launch, which only had 6 stages, only a single new weapon, and a shorter and arguably worse single player when compared to the first game.

SpaceKangaroo

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo UK Store pls dispatch ;(

The Nintendo Championship levels were really fun in MM1, hoping this has some designs like that. I'm sure costumes will be introduced the same way they were before. Nintendo seem to be doing good with keeping this gen of games supported. It'll be interesting to see it in a year with patches/dlc.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wish the same scrutiny was made with games like pokemon, specially by reviewers.

The criticism of minimal aesthetic changes is so ridiculous considering the amount of new features that are included on 2 and weren't on the first game. I'd agree if they actually cut relevant stuff regarding gameplay elements, but the changes have been minimal.

And they already said multiplayer stuff will be patched later (more than what we got with pokemon sw/sh).

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Of course the offensive comment is deleted by now, but if that was the level of feedback you were generally getting there would be more of it already and it wouldn't be easily moderated. You've signal boosted it as representative of the level of feedback you've had instead of being an outlier.

Your describing a little snark in the comments and some people discussing issues they had with the review as "vitriol" is very much exactly the kind of defensiveness I'm talking about yes.
Jesus. Borderline victim blaming over a review for a video game.

And people wonder why so many people in and adjacent to the industry don't want to post here.

Oct 26, 2017
That's actually a very good point, you're right.
I remember this. As someone who really loved the game, I was immediately out of the review thread as soon as this started. That was crazy.
Yeah, this is something all fanboys do. GameXplain's review is no different. I may not agree with their entire review but theirs was fine and they're more than entitled to their opinion. Not as if they said anything particularly ridiculous in their review or anything so I don't think anyone should really be getting bothered by it here

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like everyone complaining about the GX review hasn't read Patrick Klepik's review. You really should, they complement each other nicely. Andre is exhaustive and detail oriented while Patrick thinks a lot about the process of building a level and how Nintendo's services will function.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
People can criticize reviews but do it in a civil manner. It's Andre's opinion and he is entitled to it without getting tasteless remarks. I do think this is blown out of proportion just because people like to see chaos and this thread was relatively quiet. The game has got generally great reviews so I don't see the issue if someone had a few negatives to say about the game. There certainly are negatives to the game just like with every game in existence so reviewers should be able to talk about those negatives without getting shit.

The platform specific outlets can't seem to win because if they give a 1st party game a high score they are a shill or biased but if they are a little bit negative on a 1st party game they also get attacked for having that opinion too.

Also those trying to start platform wars shit can get the fuck out...

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
alright fuckers I warned you, you bullied andre now I'm gonna dig through your trash

hope you have pizza tonight

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Really don't get all the hate on his review. All the criticisms were fair, especially the ones concerning multiplayer.

I would agree. I love Nintendo and their games but they can make some very strange or bad decisions sometimes, especially when it comes to multiplayer. I watched the GameExplain review and the criticisms of the game seemed more than fair.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Two people I will never understand: Metacritic obsessives and people who bought extra tickets to Avengers Endgame so it could try and beat Avatar's gross.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
AndreGX I thought your review was great, and totally get your points on the presentation thing. Those are absolutely worth pointing out as it significantly shifts the tone of the game from what the first one was. It is still Mario Maker, with more stuff, and you said that and never really covered it up. And even then, on GX's score scale, I hear saying someone "liked" something means they actually liked it. I don't remember if GX ever did numbers before their "Liked/Liked it a lot/loved/whatever else", but I think the intent with GX's rating system is that it can be taken literally. If they Liked it, they liked it. If they Loved it, they loved it. It's that simple.

I'm still very eager to play it on Friday, but it was good to know about those criticisms that you had for it.

Reviews are the opinion of the reviewer, sometimes that may not be the same as everyone else. For instance, God Hand's infamous IGN review. They just didn't like it, wasn't for them. Okay, that's fine. Sure, you see some egregious cases like that one IGN Football Manager review that spent the whole review lamenting the fact that it wasn't FIFA, but I think those are few and far between.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just have the feeling "Nintendo" games mostly get a pass for certain flaws, that's all.

I mean, you can see on this thread that Nintendo games are treated differently. How dare him, GameXplain, to actually criticize something, out with the torches and pitchforks!

I just respect what they did here.

This is basically nothing but console war-infused conspiracy nonsense, so remind me again how stuff like this is not getting punished.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
"I criticized a Gamexplain video and all I got is this lousy t-shirt rabbies."
thank you for replying to my dumb raccoon-themed posts

Seriously everybody, you should be grateful that Andre said he liked it, I was expecting a "Disappointed by" rating or something.

Also, all of the people talking about the glitch fixes changing the meta sound like competitive Smash fans

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yah, comes off as Mario maker 1 snobs. They wanted 2 angry suns in one stage, How does that even work. I do miss costumes( they look cool) even thought I didn't really care for them. I don't like it when they take stuff out.

Haha yea I think removal of features is a bad call and agree with them on those points (not to the same extent though), but some things like double suns and not being able to copy into another screen seem a bit much to complain about.

All in all I'm sure this game will split the community somewhat and there will be a small group that stays on MM1 due to certain tricks not carrying over.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
let me rephrase. it is indicative that the game is at its core still of high quality that Andre rated it as him having liked it despite his qualms about the new direction for the presentation. I agree that nobody should be "grateful" for some dude's opinion lol
Ah, got it :P For sure.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
Jesus. Borderline victim blaming over a review for a video game.

And people wonder why so many people in and adjacent to the industry don't want to post here.
Victim blaming? Victim of what, a small portion of their audience not liking one video? You sound like an alt right person posting "Help I'm being censored!"

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
What makes me hopefull is that most of the problems are all very patcheable stuff ... and the original had huge update support.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What did they even remove from the first game other than amiibo costumes and some sfx?

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
The story levels are way harder than I anticipated. The game is really awesome for the moment.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this whataboutism?

ummm....no?

User claimed Nintendo games are treated differently. Subsequent user pointed out that this is not the case and cited examples.

That's not "whataboutism", which is handwaving away a type of behavior by citing similar behavior. SuperFakerBros did nothing of the sort. He simply corrected someone. Nintendo games are not treated differently than other publishers on this forum, particularly first party publishers. There's almost always a small subset of users who freak out over a handful of "bad" reviews. I use bad in quotes because they're almost never actually bad.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Two people I will never understand: Metacritic obsessives and people who bought extra tickets to Avengers Endgame so it could try and beat Avatar's gross.
I blame people needing to belong to something, and trying to plug that need with their nerdy pursuits in obsessive and potentially harmful ways.

That being said, being a music game fan during the Playstation era forced me to not care about review consensus a long time ago.

Note: Loved your review and love Waypoint/Vice Games!

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
does anyone know if theres an exclusion tag so i can simply choose to never see an NSMB level in my life rather than having to tag all the other games

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
ummm....no?

User claimed Nintendo games are treated differently. Subsequent user pointed out that this is not the case and cited examples.

That's not "whataboutism", which is handwaving away a type of behavior by citing similar behavior. SuperFakerBros did nothing of the sort. He simply corrected someone. Nintendo games are not treated differently than other publishers on this forum, particularly first party publishers.
You typed several words there to blurry whatever meaning whataboutism has, but it still was whataboutism and I'm out of this discussion because review threads get reaaaally silly and I only want it to be Friday so that I can finally play this.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Got my copy but I don't even want to play until there are a few great levels I'm incapable of making ;(

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
Haha yea I think removal of features is a bad call and agree with them on those points (not to the same extent though), but some things like double suns and not being able to copy into another screen seem a bit much to complain about.

All in all I'm sure this game will split the community somewhat and there will be a small group that stays on MM1 due to certain tricks not carrying over.
Speaking of that, Grandpoobear has a Twitter thread right now highlighted some tech changes, definitely worth a look. Sorry I don't have a link. General vibe is Nintendo seem to have tried to make some advanced techs less viable, but could just be a consequence of engine changes. Stuff like shell jumping and spring jumping harder but still doable. Can't catch an item while spin jumping, can't jump off item sinking in lava.