• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 13 1.8%
  • 95 - 99

Votes: 37 5.2%
  • 90 - 94

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 85 - 89

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 80 - 84

Votes: 70 9.9%
  • 75-79

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • under 75

Votes: 8 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wow that game explain review was so negative haha seemed like 15 minutes of nitpicking. I guess I should've seen it coming based on their videos before, but it didn't sound like they liked the game even though they said they did.
Probably a "true Fire Emblem fans don't like Fire Emblem" kind of situation. André has spent an ungodly number lf hours in SMM1, and some of the regressions might just be more immediately off-putting as a result.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Looking forward to what this may eventually evolve into with coming patches and the Giant Bomb content. Having Jeff and potentially Dan race in levels made by other people will be great!

The single most defining moment of Mario Maker 1 is still Jeffs Xzibit Goomba.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't plan to design levels but the single player content even just from Nintendo looks solid enough to buy in. Question - is it worth £10 more for digital? £40 right now for physical from amazon, or £50 for digital code

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Limits and issues of multiplayer mode:

• Only random levels online multiplayer, you can't select a specific one.
  • That means there will be levels that just aren't designed for multiple players.
  • You can play couch multiplayer but there's a catch: you need to download the level first (the play button on the stage browser is only for single player). So you need to exit course world, go to your downloaded courses and then select multi player. Of course that means you will be filling your download spaces all the time.
  • Even for local wireless multiplayer, the console needs to be online to get random levels.
  • And of course, you can't play with friends online.
What the actual fuck?
Seems overcomplicated. I was really looking forward to play some random courses with my gf. Sigh~ Guess I'll be playing alone looking for courses to download while she keeps playing good old "Mario cars".

nuttyevans

Nov 8, 2017
I don't plan to design levels but the single player content even just from Nintendo looks solid enough to buy in. Question - is it worth £10 more for digital? £40 right now for physical from amazon, or £50 for digital code

CDkeys had digital for £42.99 the other day I believe. Might be worth a look, I'm getting digital as I can see myself playing the shit out of this!

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So in terms of couch co-op, can me and my brother build levels together on one Switch? Can we also play those and other levels if we download them?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there's ever going to be any real way to foolproof stages not being entirely tailor made for multiplayer. If I'm not mistaken, they confirmed in the Direct that stages can be tagged and that there are tags for stages that are designed or "work well" for multiplayer, maybe it's possible that the matchmaking prioritizes stages with those tags?
There's no foolproof way, but you would think they would at least prioritize the multiplayer tagged stages as you mentioned. That doesn't even seem to be the case for some reason though.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
CDkeys had digital for £42.99 the other day I believe. Might be worth a look, I'm getting digital as I can see myself playing the shit out of this!

Also, don't forget Nintendo's own Digital Vouchers. Brings the game to £42.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017

£50 physical with the 12 months online Sub is what I went for.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason at all to play Mario Maker 1 today and tomorrow? I bought it a couple months ago and have only fiddled with it briefly. Anxiously awaiting 2's release :)

Costume unlocks are enjoyable to earn(over 150 I think). Also, many courses are cleverly built around their use for thematic purposes, none of which will be in the sequel.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Feeling a lot of dissonance between

"3D World style is really cool, fun to play, and unique!" And "why can't I skin this to be the other styles?"

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Patrick, as usual, deserves a lot of praise for really thinking ahead. From those I've seen so far, his review is the only one that really feels particularly relevant to the way I play these games and what I want from them, and is the only one that feels like was written with the dedicated habitual play style in mind. All the questions he raises are not only valid but important and demonstrate how the game seems to be failing to solve some of the issues that dogged the first game, and that many players not as familiar with the game may not even be aware of.

For instance, Nintendo Life's review mentions that you can't edit courses you download any more, which will be a major detriment to the collaborative learning nature of the game. If you see something and wonder how they did it, you can't go in to figure it out, you're going to have to brute force experiment which will make it way harder to understand some of the most complicated contraptions. And that's a new issue that didn't exist in the first game since previously you could download a level, edit it to your liking, but couldn't ever upload it unless you were to recreate it block by block, which of course you can do even without viewing it in edit mode.
The limit has to be pretty lenient though, right? Can't imagine Mario levels taking up much space.
In Mario Maker 1 it was 120 levels which sounds like it could be ok but filled up quickly if you felt a need to download and tinker with rather than simply play levels in courseworld. I don't think we know yet how many levels you can save in Mario Maker 2.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I have a choice between this game and judgment and its been killing me, but I think ill go with judgment and pick this up in 2 weeks when theres a bunch of good levels available

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I dont put too much attention to reviews to be honest, but 89 is great. Now pls be Friday already!

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Really big change that you can no longer open levels you've downloaded in the editor.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think this will get low to mid 80s due to it not being a big advancement over SMM1, missing some key features, and having some strange design choices (such as SMW3D essentially being a separate mode). That said I think this will be a game that is better than the scores indicate, and would have been worthy of low 90s if it were the first Mario Maker game.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
RE The GameXplain review

The review gives a really poor impression as to the games overall quality. A (very) good game should have a (very) good review. A review which leans heavily on the negatives indicates a game lacking in quality when this is anything but.

It doesn't surprise me though as Andre loves to focus on the negatives of anything at the expense of the positives, even when the positives far outweigh the negatives as is the case with this game.

You should watch the Captain Toad Wii U review for a major example of this.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
For instance, Nintendo Life's review mentions that you can't edit courses you download any more, which will be a major detriment to the collaborative learning nature of the game. If you see something and wonder how they did it, you can't go in to figure it out, you're going to have to brute force experiment which will make it way harder to understand some of the most complicated contraptions. And that's a new issue that didn't exist in the first game since previously you could download a level, edit it to your liking, but couldn't ever upload it unless you were to recreate it block by block, which of course you can do even without viewing it in edit mode.

Wait, what? Why would they take that option away? That makes zero sense

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Limits and issues of multiplayer mode:

• Only random levels online multiplayer, you can't select a specific one.
  • That means there will be levels that just aren't designed for multiple players.
  • You can play couch multiplayer but there's a catch: you need to download the level first (the play button on the stage browser is only for single player). So you need to exit course world, go to your downloaded courses and then select multi player. Of course that means you will be filling your download spaces all the time.
  • Even for local wireless multiplayer, the console needs to be online to get random levels.
  • And of course, you can't play with friends online.
Wait, can you actually pick your character in multiplayer now?

I saw some complaints on Reddit a few weeks ago suggesting that each character was locked to the order of players that join a couch multiplayer game, which is a massive limitation and outlandishly dumb. In other words:

Player 1 always has to be Mario
Player 2 always has to be Luigi
Player 3 always has to be Blue Toad
Player 4 always has to be Toadette.

Which is fucking insane. I assumed it was a mistake until I heard heard Gamexplain suggest it in their Q&A. I brought it up on Era but no one responded.

I hope this was either a misunderstanding or something that was fixed for the final release?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, can you actually pick your character in multiplayer now?

I saw some complaints on Reddit a few weeks ago suggesting that each character was locked to the order of players that join a couch multiplayer game, which is a massive limitation and outlandishly dumb. In other words:

Player 1 always has to be Mario
Player 2 always has to be Luigi
Player 3 always has to be Blue Toad
Player 4 always has to be Toadette.

Which is fucking insane. I assumed it was a mistake until I heard heard Gamexplain suggest it in their Q&A. I brought it up on Era but no one responded.

I hope this was either a misunderstanding or something that was fixed for the final release?
I think that's still true.