• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 13 1.8%
  • 95 - 99

Votes: 37 5.2%
  • 90 - 94

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 85 - 89

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 80 - 84

Votes: 70 9.9%
  • 75-79

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • under 75

Votes: 8 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I think that's still true.
You can't pick your character in multiplayer?!

I felt like it had to be a mistake. I can't think of a Nintendo game, or any multiplayer video game, that disabled you from picking a character if you picked up a controller in the wrong order.

Someone please reassure me.

So in theory, if I buy this to play with my girlfriend in couch multiplayer, she can never play as Toadette?

New002

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm assuming I need the online sub for couch co-op? (since you have to download the levels). Can anyone confirm?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what? Why would they take that option away? That makes zero sense
Like with so many decisions in this game, who knows...

I suppose some people complained about people copying levels, but getting rid of the option to edit downloaded courses doesn't really stop that. The other answer is that it prevents people from spoiling themselves and "cheating", which would be in line with why they got rid of the full level thumbnails as well, but that's the most hamfisted solution to that non-problem imaginable. It totally stifles the collaborative creative aspect of the community and feels like a huge step back

I'm fairly certain that the game doesn't come with a stylus.
There are special editions in EU and JP that come with one
So I'm assuming I need the online sub for couch co-op? (since you have to download the levels). Can anyone confirm?
Yes, unless you're only interested in building levels together

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
You can't pick your character in multiplayer?!

I felt like it had to be a mistake. I can't think of a Nintendo game, or any multiplayer video game, that disabled you from picking a character if you picked up a controller in the wrong order.

Someone please reassure me.

So in theory, if I buy this to play with my girlfriend in couch multiplayer, she can never play as Toadette?
I think that it would be bad in online. f.e. all 4 players will choose mario. It would be so confusing.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Limits and issues of multiplayer mode:

• Only random levels online multiplayer, you can't select a specific one.
  • That means there will be levels that just aren't designed for multiple players.
  • You can play couch multiplayer but there's a catch: you need to download the level first (the play button on the stage browser is only for single player). So you need to exit course world, go to your downloaded courses and then select multi player. Of course that means you will be filling your download spaces all the time.
  • Even for local wireless multiplayer, the console needs to be online to get random levels.
  • And of course, you can't play with friends online.
Yes. You have limited download spaces and you need to delete levels once you reach the limit.

Things where I really question 90+ ratings and metacritics and phrases like "best 2D Mario game" or "the ultimate Mario game".

And there are probably a lot of other questionable (and easy to avoid) design decisions on top of it.
Hope they patch it a lot in the future, they could really add stuff and fix a lot of mistakes to make it the ultimate Mario game, but some of the negative points right now are just sad.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I think that it would be bad in online. f.e. all 4 players will choose mario. It would be so confusing.
The characters would appear as whichever one you didn't choose since they're otherwise identical in abilities and hitboxes.

Same way America's Army handled it, you couldn't choose to play as a terrorist, they just skinned the opposing team as them

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Things where I really question 90+ ratings and metacritics and phrases like "best 2D Mario game" or "the ultimate Mario game".

And there are probably a lot of other questionable (and easy to avoid) design decisions on top of it.
Hope they patch it a lot in the future, they could really add stuff and fix a lot of mistakes to make it the ultimate Mario game, but some of the negative points right now are just sad.
No other mario game has only multiplayer so its still the ultimate 2D mario game.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I'm talking about local.

I need someone to reassure me that you can pick your character in local multiplayer. My GF was out of her mind excited when she saw the Toadette reveal and has been planning to buy it for us to play together (if I don't buy it for her first).

With the staggeringly long list of other omissions, this might be the actual final straw for me. They removed so many features that made me love Mario Maker but I was going to buy it anyway to play fun levels with my girlfriend who is excited to join me as Toadette.

Not being able to pick your character in local multiplayer in a 2019 Mario game that features fully playable Luigi, Toad and Toadette is unacceptable.

I really, really hope this is wrong.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
hold on - does the stylus in Europe only come with the digital bundle and online combo? Or just the regular £49.99 digital version? I don't have a code on my receipt to redeem. Does the 'two vouchers for £84' offer not include that particular version of mario maker?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

"Super Mario Maker 2 can improve its multiplayer aspects" and "Super Mario Maker 2 is the ultimate Mario game" aren't mutually exclusive statements when previous Mario games don't have even the half-baked offerings SMM2 provides in the first place.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I guess you're not meant to download and store a bunch of levels but still sounds weird to me. Do you know what the limit is?
Do we know the limit on this one ? Hoping at least 1000, but could be 100 I wouldn't be suprised
The limit has to be pretty lenient though, right? Can't imagine Mario levels taking up much space.

Here's your answer:

I'm only counting 60

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Damn, at least for the moment, Era was dead on the money with our aggregate aggregate review prediction. The numbers more or less equate to ~89.

And it's sitting at 89 on both Meta and Open.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Dipped to 89? Ah well, I voted 90-94 but in actuality I was expecting something between the 85-94 range, so this is fine. Can't wait for Friday!
Will read some reviews when I get home later today.
nintendo should feel ashamed of this score.
get your shit together.
Farfetch'd used Sarcasm! It's very ineffective!

May 5, 2018
I'm still excited for SMM2, but Gamexplain's reviews gives me some solid insight to consider. The lack of Amiibo costumes is a bummer but also it appears there aren't any silly opening like in SMM1 not any fun Title screen goofs (Wario making a cameo voice appearance when you click on the M in Mario or Mario's falling level voice samples) takes away some charm for sure. Still, content looks packed and I'm still eager to make some fun levels.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Another great release for the switch and the start of the 2019 Nintendo push! I am so excited for the switch this year.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm still excited for SMM2, but Gamexplain's reviews gives me some solid insight to consider. The lack of Amiibo costumes is a bummer but also it appears there aren't any silly opening like in SMM1 not any fun Title screen goofs (Wario making a cameo voice appearance when you click on the M in Mario or Mario's falling level voice samples) takes away some charm for sure. Still, content looks packed and I'm still eager to make some fun levels.

At least you ain't attacking him for ONLY liking the game.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Let's see how good it really is. 😍

I68OGj7.jpg

Apr 21, 2018
Great score!
All the issues seem like rather minor grievances that will be easy to update/patch upon updates - which SMM1 has plenty of.

Really pumped for Friday! (Hoping it unlocks at 12AM est)

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The nitpicking is ridiculous. The costumes i can understand but the rest is so irrelevant to the overall quality and experience of the game.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, rocking the Story Mode and Course World by myself is top-tier goddamn Mario.

But yeah, Nintendo online stuff.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Great scores as expected. I got hyped but then I remember I still need to buy a stylus, a screen protector and the online sub. Sigh.

Raises a good question on how the future will be for levels which don't get played.

Great and now with the online fee, i'm literally paying Nintendo to eventually delete my levels...

Deleted member 51797

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
This might be a stupid question but I'm in The Netherlands and I can't for the life of me figure out wether or not the stylus offer is still valid. The product description doesn't mention it anymore so I assume they sold out?

feelingkettle

Nov 5, 2017
The nitpicking is ridiculous. The costumes i can understand but the rest is so irrelevant to the overall quality and experience of the game.
Are you trying to tell me GameXplain nitpicks and makes little things into something bigger than they need to be? I look forward to a 40 minute video on what Aonuma had for lunch yesterday and what it means for BOTW2's future.

(I kid...I think?)

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
The way this online works who has what skin doesn't really matter, so they could just make it so who is which character is different for each player in the room. If you pick Toadette you are Toadette in your room and everyone else is Mario, Luigi, and Toad, while someone else could have also picked Toadette and you are Luigi for them.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to a creation and community tools, nitpicks can be valid. Especially when features are removed that people enjoyed.

That said I haven't seen any so far that will prevent this from being a great game.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope this excessive nitpicking from GameXplain is temporary, not felt like watching any lf their coverage due to it. If not, maybe they'll rebrand to GameComplain.

damn that joke sucked

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Really liked Andre from GameXplain's very honest review. As strictly a player and not a creator, I think the game will be great for me, but his valid criticisms of the design tools and multiplayer may make a lot of people a bit divided on this one. We'll see how it goes.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Really liked Andre from GameXplain's very honest review. As strictly a player and not a creator, I think the game will be great for me, but his valid criticisms of the design tools and multiplayer may make a lot of people a bit divided on this one. We'll see how it goes.
Yup, Andre is not the one who should be being blamed for his review ;)

Hint: Nintendo