• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
So I wanted to make this thread to clarify some details from the Direct as a lot of you are asking the same thing over and over in the other thread.

beSvdkN.jpg

Super Mario Maker 2 has three main game modes: the story mode, Course World, and Coursebot.

Course World is where all the level sharing and multiplayer occurs and of course this mode is only available to Nintendo Switch Online subscribers. So yeah, leaderboards and Endless Challenge also require the subscription.

share-share_creations-2x.jpg

ROofZOB.jpg

In Course World there's the "Network Play" mode which involves multiplayer co-op and competitive play via internet and locally.

You can play with online other people who also have NSO, but local play is a little bit more complicated:

• Every player has to have their own Switch console and copy of the game
  • The player who creates the room must be connected online throughout the play session
  • The other players who join the local room don't have to be online
  • There doesn't seem to be a way to play multiplayer in a single system with multiple controllers, you need multiple consoles (view edit below).
NpSaEJ0.jpg

On the other hand, co-op making, part of the Coursebot mode, is only available locally, using a single system with multiple controllers. Also worth noting that while editing in Co-op you can't use dual Joy-con or the Pro Controller.

Hope this clears out some of the confusion regarding NSO requirements for this game.

Edit: according to he eShop the game supports up to 4 players on a single system, but we know co-op editing is limited to 2 players, so maybe there could be single-console multiplayer at the end. It's currently unknown.

Last edited:

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty lame not to have actual local play, like on a TV together. Or offline for that matter.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
hold up
Mario Maker 2 doesn't let you use the Pro Controller?
what is up with that bullshit? what does this game do that doesn't let you use this controller? even Pokemon Let's Go and Mario Party had more valid justifications but here it is just what the f...

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a real missed opportunity if 2 people can build a stage together but then can't both test it out :(.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
hold up
what is up with that bullshit? what does this game do that doesn't let you use this controller? even Pokemon Let's Go and Mario Party had more valid justifications but here it is just what the f...
You can use a Pro Controller. It's only while editing in co-op mode that you can't.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
hold up
Might just be for course building? That's my hope at least

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
hold up
I'm fairly sure that's just for the co-op creation mode
It's still fucking dumb, but I don't think the rest of the game is like that

Oct 26, 2017
A lack of local multiplayer on one Switch would be some bullshit, man. That'd be the biggest reason for me to get it

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So i can't not even download any course if i don't have the membership? What a load of crap.

Asking a price to host my courses are understandable, but even to download too? Yeah, there goes my reason to get a switch in the near future.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's post-launch support has been stellar.

I imagine we will definitely get at least one more graphical style compatible with the 3D World courses and I wouldn't be surprised if local co-op comes in an update down the road.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So i can't not even download any course if i don't have the membership? What a load of crap.

Asking a price to host my courses are understandable, but even to download too? Yeah, there goes my reason to get a switch in the near future.
They are offering Super Mario Maker 2 with a 1-year sub for $69.99

The online sub is absolutely worth it for $10 when you factor in the NES games. Plus we are now getting subscriber deals like the "two $60 1st Party games for $99 (including new releases)" vouchers they just announced.

That pays for the membership right there.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

I appreciate that the Switch online is way cheaper than the other consoles, but it's crazy how they went as far as gating off every online function in existence.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

The online sub is absolutely worth it for $10 when you factor in the NES games. Plus we are now getting subscriber deals like the "two $60 1st Party games for $99 (including new releases)" vouchers they just announced.

I'm managing a family account. I assume that 1-year sub is not transferable for that?

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Can we team up with friends in online coop or am I stuck with randoms?

Sounds like a silly question, but after Splatoon limited matchmaking with friends to specific modes and Aces wouldn't let me play doubles with my mate online, it's worth asking.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate that the Switch online is way cheaper than the other consoles, but it's crazy how they went as far as gating off every online function in existence.
On the other hand, they know a lot of people will not bother making courses and this is the only way to incentivize a sub for this game.

Besides, they haven't gated everytgibg across their games. You can play Luigi's Balloon World in Odyssey without a sub.

I'm managing a family account. I assume that 1-year sub is not transferable for that?
I don't have the answer but I imagine not.

Hell of a deal if you're gonna use that voucher promo as well. It's like they're giving you $10 to join.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
The new 2D Super Mario game having online co-op, but not couch co-op is like some bizarro world Nintendo decision.

Happy for online play though.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My only complaint here is Online required for playing other peoples courses. Sony actually did it right with Dreams and Nintendo has a mode that they could put restricted to online with.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019

Definitely getting this was gonna sub for a year at the end of the month but i am just gonna get this now

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Screen numbers, I guess.

That racing mode would be impossible, otherwise. Unless you used split screen, but then handheld mode...
I guess they could've gone the Genesis sandwich splitscreen to offer two player coop on one Switch but oh well.

Even Sonic Mania offerec up to 4 player split screen racing.

Oct 26, 2017
I guess it's because of the tight level design of coop Mario games, and things can get pretty crazy if all 4 players can't leave the current screen on custom levels.
Oh I know it'd be a clusterfuck but it's a clusterfuck in any local multiplayer 2D or 3D Mario. I'd be perfectly fine with that as it's a ton of fun with friends and is the main reason why I was considering to get the game

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My only complaint here is Online required for playing other peoples courses. Sony actually did it right with Dreams and Nintendo has a mode that they could put restricted to online with.
Yeah but really you should sub now that a year is $10 w/ Mario Maker 2 and you instantly save $20 with the purchase of two additional $60 games.

I'm sure we can all think of at least 2 more Nintendo Switch 1st Party games we want this year.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
From what they said in the direct it sounds like you need a sub to upload your levels but not to download levels.
The official website stated that you need NSO to download AND share courses.

Also in the Direct the download courses part was included in the Nintendo Switch Online section.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
On the other hand, they know a lot of people will not bother making courses and this is the only way to incentivize a sub for this game.
They already have an online multiplayer mode though. They don't need to require a subscription for the entire selling point of the game too.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meh, hopefully they add 100 Mario challenge back later or its already in there and we just can't see it yet
Who knows, we got Stage Builder in Smash Ultimate

They already have an online multiplayer mode though. They don't need to require a subscription for the entire selling point of the game too.
It's a little irritating but honestly the deals for NSO revealed in the direct basically nullify the cost.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only other reason I can think of for one person having online as opposed to the other 3 is because you can just pull random levels from online to play with friends.