• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Im gonna go and guess that the mode is made so that other players can be several screens away from you or in sub portions of the game while you're on your own, no COOP mario game has that.
Yeah this is it. I have no doubt that Nintendo tried getting splitscreen to work but Mario Maker has so many moving parts that a screen solution for each player was most likely the only way to go.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but really you should sub now that a year is $10 w/ Mario Maker 2 and you instantly save $20 with the purchase of two additional $60 games.

I'm sure we can all think of at least 2 more Nintendo Switch 1st Party games we want this year.

I have a sub from Amazon prime already. That deal is good for people that like digital that is not me. I am tempted to use it as Animal Crossing NL was the only retail game I bought digital on my 3DS. Still does not change that things like leader boards and created content are paywalled.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this is it. I have no doubt that Nintendo tried getting splitscreen to work but Mario Maker has so many moving parts that a screen solution for each player was most likely the only way to go.
It might have worked anyway, but Nintendo is also big on having a single ideal setup over having options.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they bring back battle modes/rules or some shit from NSMB DS.

They never brought it back like it was in that game and it was fucking great.

I have a sub from Amazon prime already. That deal is good for people that like digital that is not me. I am tempted to use it as Animal Crossing NL was the only retail game I bought digital on my 3DS. Still does not change that things like leader boards and created content are paywalled.
But even ignoring the voucher deal they have that physical SMM2 bundle with the 1 year NSO sub for $69.99. $10 is worth it for NES alone.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Finally freaking online coop... i wish this was in U deluxe, i would have bought it if it was there

they better continue to include this from now on...

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they bring back battle modes/rules or some shit from NSMB DS.

They never brought it back like it was in that game and it was fucking great.

Given that Super Mario Maker 2 now has win conditions for beating levels (like collecting coins/beating enemies/having a powerup etc), and that the Mario Maker community is an exceptionally creative bunch, I have no doubt in my mind that some crafty people are gonna make good "versus maps" for people to duke it out.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given that Super Mario Maker 2 now has win conditions for beating levels (like collecting coins/beating enemies/having a powerup etc), and that the Mario Maker community is an exceptionally creative bunch, I have no doubt in my mind that some crafty people are gonna make good "versus maps" for people to duke it out.
Yeah, that's true, i would just like to see it implemented in an official way

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
They are offering Super Mario Maker 2 with a 1-year sub for $69.99

The online sub is absolutely worth it for $10 when you factor in the NES games. Plus we are now getting subscriber deals like the "two $60 1st Party games for $99 (including new releases)" vouchers they just announced.

That pays for the membership right there.

I have to agree. NSO definitely needs more features and a full execution of the launch "promised" features but it is so cheap I don't really mind at this point. Super Mario Maker 2 is so packed to the gills I am incredibly excited.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They are offering Super Mario Maker 2 with a 1-year sub for $69.99

The online sub is absolutely worth it for $10 when you factor in the NES games. Plus we are now getting subscriber deals like the "two $60 1st Party games for $99 (including new releases)" vouchers they just announced.

That pays for the membership right there.

Like i said, i don't even have the switch ritgh now. We're talking about a 370 spending minimun here, in my case. 400+ if a i want to take this deal. Like i said, mario maker is about the only game ritgh now that i'm interested, so i'm not to eager on buying a console and subscribing know i have to use before the year is over.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Wait wait wait... One of the solely reasons I was buying this was because I wanted to play courses with my GF, at the same time (like New Super Mario Bros U), and we can't? What? Why?

Also
Also worth noting that in this mode you can't use dual Joy-con or the Pro Controller.
What the fuck?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The way the multiplayer works is like Super Mario Bros. Deluxe. Everyone needs their own screen to facilitate it, it really wouldn't work any other way

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like i said, i don't even have the switch ritgh now. We're talking about a 370 spending minimun here, in my case. 400+ if a i want to take this deal. Like i said, mario maker is about the only game ritgh now that i'm interested, so i'm not to eager on buying a console and subscribing know i have to use before the year is over.
Well, let's say you just want the game and the console. $360 plus tax.

You're really sweating that extra $10 at that point?

Look at it this way: you'll have like 40-50 NES games to play on Day 1, including the 4 NES Mario games. You'll want for nothing.

Wait wait wait... One of the solely reasons I was buying this was because I wanted to play courses with my GF, at the same time (like New Super Mario Bros U), and we can't? What? Why?

Also

What the fuck?
JoyCon limitations are just for course-building.

You (probably) can't play local co-op because the game allows players to be in different parts of the course at the same time.

I actually see that as an upgrade over NSMBU

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

Also

What the fuck?

As others have speculated in the thread, that's probably because as there is a competitive mode you want every player to be able to move freely and splitscreen would be too small for a platformer.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, let's say you just want the game and the console. $360 plus tax.

Your really sweating that extra $10 at that point?

Look at it this way: you'll have like 40-50 NES games to play on Day 1, including the 4 NES Mario games. You'll want for nothing.
I don't live in north america or europe, so these prices are triple the value in my country.

And to be honest, i had more fun with mario maker than any of the original mario bros games, so i would be wasting my time playing that instead of mario maker itself. I alreadly have too many games to play, so i ony have time for the best ones, and none of the nes games are on that list...

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
As others have speculated in the thread, that's probably because as there is a competitive mode you want every player to be able to move freely and splitscreen would be too small for a platformer.
That much I understand but why not implement a couch co-op mode for offline play similar to NSMBU? Seems like a miss opportunity to me.

Still, I had a lot of fun back in 2015 with my friends sharing the controller to see who could complete the most insane levels. Figure I'll play this one like that.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't live in north america or europe, so these prices are triple the value in my country.

And to be honest, i had more fun with mario maker than any of the original mario bros games, so i would be wasting my time playing that instead of mario maker itself. I alreadly have too many games to play, so i ony have time for the best ones, and none of the nes games are on that list...
Ok well it sounds like Nintendo Switch Online doesn't really have much to do with why you aren't buying a Switch right now.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That much I understand but why not implement a couch co-op mode for offline play similar to NSMBU? Seems like a miss opportunity to me.
I'm figuring it's because couch mp 2D Mario games use screen zooming and the bubble to facilitate freedom of movement for all players. Those two mechanics could subvert player stage designs if implemented in this game, but aren't necessary when every player has their own screen to work with.

I still think they ought to let players create couch co-op specific stages at some point. a tag for stages designed specifically for couch/wireless play. and include screen zoom and bubble within stages tagged as such

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I had already lost interest in the game in the prior to the direct due to the pay wall bullshit, this doesn't compel me to change my mind and pre-order the game. I don't believe in paying more money just to get the full package of the game and story mode doesn't sound like a meaty package to justify buying the game.

I fucking hate how Nintendo jumped in with the on-line paywall crap.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
So do we know how the $70 NSO edition and vouchers interact yet? (e.g. lets you pay $10 extra, doesn't work at all, etc.)

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know whether you can connect with friends for online coop or if it is only with random people?

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
I'm figuring it's because couch mp 2D Mario games use screen zooming and the bubble to facilitate freedom of movement for all players. Those two mechanics could subvert player stage designs if implemented in this game, but aren't necessary when every player has their own screen to work with.

I still think they ought to let players create couch co-op specific stages at some point. a tag for stages designed specifically for couch/wireless play. and include screen zoom and bubble within stages tagged as such
Makes sense

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope it is possible to do Online Multiplayer with Friends. In the direct there was no indication for that. They only confirmed it with local wireless play.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting... The eShop page for the game indicates that up to 4 people can play on a single system. However we know that co-op editing only supports 2 players 🤔

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like that every player needs a copy of the game for local co-op. It's the Game Boy all over again and why I never had anyone to play with in handheld games until Wi-Fi came along.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
It doesn't clear up confusion. It adds to it.

What is the fun in making a level together if you can't play it together? My GF and I were going to buy this, as she is just getting into Mario and we've been looking for a game to co-op or enjoy on the same tv.

It's baffling to me that they wouldn't even include a basic 2-player mode like every other Mario has had since the 80's.

There's still time to show it I guess, but I'm profoundly disappointed.

Deleted member 51306

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Why would people think you don't need the NSO to use online features. What games on PS4 and XB1 allow you to do that?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, if multiplayer is always split up between multiple switches because users can see their own section of the map, then that means...holy shit there could be some crazy multiplayer levels. You could require everyone to go in their own isolated room to asynchronously solve puzzles. You could have players controlling switches on one section while others are running through the map. There's a lot of potential there I wasn't really thinking about when watching that video.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The direct didn't explicitly state you couldn't play multiplayer locally. But it also didn't state you could do so either. It's really lame we don't have a direct answer to this question. I'm still holding out hope that we can.

LooseGoose717

Banned
May 9, 2019
As long as I don't need a NSO sub to create courses and play them locally, including the story mode, I'm good.

Online won't last forever, and it'll mostly be joke kaizo levels anyway.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty lame not to have actual local play, like on a TV together. Or offline for that matter.

I can understand the offline part, but not having local play on the same TV? Ughhhhhh.

Smash Ultimate does the exact same thing with Arenas, in that two or more people can't play a co-op session in Arena with others. Everyone needs their on Switch.

So frustrating.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it can be summed up a lot easier than OP has made it.

If you want to enjoy Mario Maker 2 the way you know you want to, than you will need a NSO subscription.