• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Why does the op state "of course" you have to pay a monthly subscription to access user made levels as if this was a routine thing, when I can't think of any other game on any other platform that has done this?

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
By connecting to the Internet, you can connect with artisans around the world, and play with friends and family you are familiar with.

Connect one to the internet and download the course so everyone can enjoy it.

Things necessary:
Internet Environment
Nintendo Switch for the number of players
Super Mario Maker 2 for the number of players

It is necessary to connect one person with a small person to the Internet

Someone linked the Japanese website in the "main" thread and I pulled this text out of the website source code for most of the Japanese text rendered as images. Seems pretty likely the "one person needs to be online for local" thing is a hard requirement, I'm sad.

Though the "play with friends and family" on the internet sounds optimistic for online w/friends, which is always up in the air with Nintendo.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you cannot download other players levels without paying for online? Kinda BS.

LBP3 let you do that, it was just online playing with others that was blocked.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Super Expert will have 100 lives for Endless.

If not, a lot of content creators just lost a huge portion of their lineup for MM2.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt with this one: having multiple players all go off screen would be insane and the bubble mechanic from the NSMB series has the potential to completely break some levels. At first I was of the opinion this was BS, but the more I think about it... it makes sense.

I'm not too sure about my feelings towards the fact I can't play the levels offline, though.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt with this one: having multiple players all go off screen would be insane and the bubble mechanic from the NSMB series has the potential to completely break some levels. At first I was of the opinion this was BS, but the more I think about it... it makes sense.

I'm not too sure about my feelings towards the fact I can't play the levels offline, though.
There's also probably the issue that user made levels can break the normal level convention of going left to right, so you can't make the camera just follow the one most to the right (yoshi crafted world has this issue with 2 players where sometime it just can't make its mind who its supposed to follow when one is going the opposite side of the other, which lessen the 2 player experience considerably when it happens since it's difficult to call in advance who is gonna be bubbled.)

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No single console multiplayer is the real bummer for me. It seems like such a pointless omission when this has been a thing in 2D Mario since the goddamn Wii.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
No same Switch co-op/versus mode (beyond local building) is very disappointing.
That was a feature I was really expecting.

Maybe they want that feature to be exclusive to the NSMB game?

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So how fucking ironic is it that Nintendo would make a game with online multiplayer but no equivalent offline option

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
They are offering Super Mario Maker 2 with a 1-year sub for $69.99

The online sub is absolutely worth it for $10 when you factor in the NES games. Plus we are now getting subscriber deals like the "two $60 1st Party games for $99 (including new releases)" vouchers they just announced.

That pays for the membership right there.
I'd rather have deals with extra discounts on games for NSO members than a $100 voucher to get two Nintendo games for $10 off, or no discount if you choose $50 games instead of $60 for whatever reason.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather have deals with extra discounts on games for NSO members than a $100 voucher to get two Nintendo games for $10 off, or no discount if you choose $50 games instead of $60 for whatever reason.
But it's not $60 a year... that's how they can supplement those additional discounts on other platforms

Those other platforms also don't allow you to buy first party games for $10 off on day one (why would anyone ever use the voucher for a $50 game? Don't buy vouchers until you have 2 games in mind...)

It's not perfect but this is better than where we were before with NSO.

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
Its these moments I truly miss download play. Most of my friends have switches, but I don't think I'll really be able to convince them to pick up their own copies of MM just to play multiplayer :( and most will arent interested enough to pick this up for the single player stuff.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
So how fucking ironic is it that Nintendo would make a game with online multiplayer but no equivalent offline option
Local play IS the "equivalent offline option," since every player needs their own individual screen for the type of competitive/cooperative gameplay they are going with (where two players can be in separate level areas simultaneously).

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The screen thing is silly because they could have easily remedied that by having players pop into bubbles when they're off screen.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
But it's not $60 a year... that's how they can supplement those additional discounts on other platforms

Those other platforms also don't allow you to buy first party games for $10 off on day one (why would anyone ever use the voucher for a $50 game? Don't buy vouchers until you have 2 games in mind...)

It's not perfect but this is better than where we were before with NSO.
They can't afford to do deals for $20 a year but they can afford to do this? I'm not sure how your logic works here. They, and any other developer that puts their games on sale, could easily make their money back on increased sales with an extra 10% off on top of the normal sales. It doesn't cost anything put games on sale.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They can't afford to do deals for $20 a year but they can afford to do this? I'm not sure how your logic works here. They, and any other developer that puts their games on sale, could easily make their money back on increased sales with an extra 10% off on top of the normal sales. It doesn't cost anything put games on sale.
Well I'd say the difference here is that the vouchers are only for first party published games and, say, PS Plus discounts are available for third party games, on a weekly basis, with no upfront commitment of money.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
"Ugh, Nintendo needs to get their heads out of their ass and give us offline multiplayer. Nobody plays online."
Is anyone really saying that tho, or are you just making shit up?

I'm sure Nintendo could've figured out a way to make same screen local MP work, even if they needed to create another ruleset and restrictions for these courses to work. Oh well, the game's still going to be pretty damn amazing so I'll be there Day 1.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Someone linked the Japanese website in the "main" thread and I pulled this text out of the website source code for most of the Japanese text rendered as images. Seems pretty likely the "one person needs to be online for local" thing is a hard requirement, I'm sad.

Though the "play with friends and family" on the internet sounds optimistic for online w/friends, which is always up in the air with Nintendo.
This is the best:

It is necessary to connect one person with a small person to the Internet

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can still play other users' levels, but you can't store them and play around with them in the editor without a subscription.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can still play other users' levels, but you can't download them and play around with them in the editor without a subscription.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
The screen thing is silly because they could have easily remedied that by having players pop into bubbles when they're off screen.
That would require zooming in and out which is not in SMM at all. Not to mention the bubble couldn't work in competitive modes. I also want single screen multiplayer but SMM functions completely differently from NSMB in regards to multiplayer.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
You should still be able to play others levels without an NSO sub, that should be the baseline option. Online play etc I can see the justification.

The game is all about playing others peoples creations and creating your own. I know they need to leverage NSO subscriptions some how but this just seems like a bad call.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should still be able to play others levels without an NSO sub, that should be the baseline option. Online play etc I can see the justification.

The game is all about playing others peoples creations and creating your own. I know they need to leverage NSO subscriptions some how but this just seems like a bad call.
It's not a bad call when people are going to buy the game and get the subscription

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they can give us a split-screen local multiplayer, if not at launch, then at some point. I don't want to buy a second Switch just to play this with my friend!

Oct 25, 2017
LittleBigPlanet 3 and Dreams don't require PS+ to share and play levels on the PS4. Only require PS+ for active online multiplayer sessions with other players.
Not that simple, it's mostly arbitrary and varies by game. Bloodborne requires Plus to use every online feature, including chalice dungeon codes and messages on the ground. Dark Souls games also need Plus to see ground messages and shared events (e.g. bell ringing in your game when someone online rings it).

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Haha so close Nintendo. They've never been keen on developing 2D Mario.. Was hoping for local multiplayer on 1 console, will hold out until they update the game with that, otherwise I'll just skip it.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
This is only somewhat related, but I am very, very tempted to order those NES controllers they have available for Switch to play Mario Maker with...