• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I have looked and unless I'm missing something the "Make a room" button is directly below "Nearby play", while "Global play" has Multiplayer co-op and versus.

Capture.jpg
My hope is that there is another menu after selecting Multiplayer Versus or Co-op where you can choose to play with friends or randoms. In the Direct there is a cut in the footage between the time they click that button and when it matches them up with other players.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Like roughly a dozen people pointed out before me, Sonic Mania handles this just fine:
sure 4 player split screen is an option but clearly not one they felt deserved the dev time needed when they already had multiplayer built for online play, of which is this game's primary focus. The framework for Local wireless play was basically there and adding those communication protocols were probably easier than reworking the entire game to render 4 versions of the screen with unpredictable amounts of enemies all over it. In this case I am suggesting there are actual limitations here. maybe one day they'll figure out the way to do it and add a patch

Last edited:

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Allowing local multiplayer on the same screen, either split or not, without Nintendo being able to control which levels fit local co-op would be a nightmare. Some levels would simply be unplayable, the safest solution is to add co-op to story mode and the levels you created.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That would require zooming in and out which is not in SMM at all. Not to mention the bubble couldn't work in competitive modes. I also want single screen multiplayer but SMM functions completely differently from NSMB in regards to multiplayer.

Then those players would be off screen for the entire run. People under estimate how slow NSMB works compared to the levels you'll usually face in MM.

They could have still done at least 2 player co-op, I don't buy that it's impossible. There is enough place on a 16:9 screen. The VS mode could still be only online.

I think it's more a matter of them wanting to buy NSMBUD for couch co-op.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
So seeing the Online part as DLC with almost unlimited content doesn't make it enough?
Opions are opions so fine
If NSMB for Wii U could be full price with less than 100 level, then paying 69 for unlimited level under a year is a Fantastic price

Well I love Free youtube for I don't mind ads, but if paying mean more stuff or that something may be operating for longer than a year, (look at you, Sony) than I will take it.
(If paid youtube have more stuff, then it must be things I am not awere of or not interestead in)
Mario Maker 2 "extra" is my jam, so I will happily buy for online to get it.
I did play MM1 for almost 1500h too, so that make 20 extra "nothing" here

If you want cheaper online, then try the family plan with 7 other people to get it for 4,4 only

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
They could have still done at least 2 player co-op, I don't buy that it's impossible. There is enough place on a 16:9 screen. The VS mode could still be only online.

I think it's more a matter of them wanting to buy NSMBUD for couch co-op.
NSMBUDX has levels specifically catered for up to four people to play. It's not a technical difficulty but a design difficulty. A level must be catered for every player to progress.

For example, a moving platform across lava must accommodate every player. If the designer doesn't factor that in then some players will automatically die. And that isn't fun or what Nintendo may want.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NSMBUDX has levels specifically catered for up to four people to play. It's not a technical difficulty but a design difficulty. A level must be catered for every player to progress.

For example, a moving platform across lava must accommodate every player. If the designer doesn't factor that in then some players will automatically die. And that isn't fun or what Nintendo may want.

I know that, it still doesn't mean that 2 players co-op isn't possible in SMM2, it's not ruining my fun if I pop into a bubble. Also, people can create their own levels that accommodate more/two players.

Apr 21, 2018
Really surprised by people here being so upset over the online. It's literally $10 extra dollars and you have unlimited Mario levels. Literally millions.

The Nintendo subscription fee is so incredibly cheap and with Tetris 99, the Vouchers, and NES games, is actually a really good value proposition.

It's ridiculous to me that someone would own a Switch, want Mario Maker 2, and refrain from purchasing because of this restriction. You are basically boycotting on principle not on price (no way you are that cheap if you own a Switch + controllers). And if you want to sit on on millions of Mario levels for $10....well, that's on you.

The Pro Controller not being useable for creation is some BULLSHIT though. Do we have that confirmed yet? Makes absolutely no sense. If the gameplay can be played on a Pro Controller (which it obviously should *cough* Mario Party and Pokemon), then there is no reason THE ENTIRE PRODUCT can't be used with that control method.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
The Pro Controller not being useable for creation is some BULLSHIT though. Do we have that confirmed yet? Makes absolutely no sense. If the gameplay can be played on a Pro Controller (which it obviously should *cough* Mario Party and Pokemon), then there is no reason THE ENTIRE PRODUCT can't be used with that control method.

The eShop listing says that the game is compatible with the Pro Controller. But to what extent, we don't know yet.

Oct 26, 2017
That's only for co-op creation. I'm sure you can use it for just regular creation as it wouldn't be any different from using the connected Joycons

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
If Little Big Planet can do it over a decade ago, I think Nintendo should be able to sort it out.

If there's really not local level play on a single system using, say, two joycons, what the heck are they doing?

Also check this:

https://youtu.be/Dohu55QE7As?t=39

Last edited:

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I have looked and unless I'm missing something the "Make a room" button is directly below "Nearby play", while "Global play" has Multiplayer co-op and versus.
Ah yes indeed. I'm sorry for looking so sure ha ha. Have to watch again cause I thought I saw something different.
Shame on me.

edit : So basically either it "Nearby play" allows online friend room", or it's dead.
Wow, I was wrong and now I'm disapointed if true. Bad day : (.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Wolfram

60342263-601976976969950-8498536785997987840-n-2.jpg

At least it doesn't seem 4 players is forced in any mode, meaning there has to be ways to only be 2 or 3 online.

Jun 17, 2018
OK, so will my wife and I be able to play together on the same console like every other Mario game? This will be the deciding factor for me. If couch play isn't there by default, it's very unlikely I'll make a purchase.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
OK, so will my wife and I be able to play together on the same console like every other Mario game? This will be the deciding factor for me. If couch play isn't there by default, it's very unlikely I'll make a purchase.

From the Nintendo U.K. webpage.

"Want to show off your creations to friends? Up to four players can try to beat created courses at the same time in local multiplayer. Play as Mario, Luigi, Toad and Toadette, and let the fun begin!"

Wolfram

Nov 6, 2018
From the Nintendo U.K. webpage.

"Want to show off your creations to friends? Up to four players can try to beat created courses at the same time in local multiplayer. Play as Mario, Luigi, Toad and Toadette, and let the fun begin!"

That doesn't necessarily mean on the same Switch. It could mean that everybody needs to have their own Switch and their own copy of the game, which is what was actually shown in the direct.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
According to that you don't need local wireless for local multiplayer if you did it would read like

Number of players 1
Online play 2-4
Local wireless 2-4

But the first part says 1-4

Not to correct you, but the first line would actually read "Number of players: 1-2" because of the co-op building. But your point still stands - the fact it reads 1-4 instead of 1/1-2 implies there's something we don't know about yet. Either that, or its' a mistake.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
According to that you don't need local wireless for local multiplayer if you did it would read like

Number of players 1
Online play 2-4
Local wireless 2-4

But the first part says 1-4

This makes sense but I'm not really confident to read into this too much. These sorts of player number stats are always vague and sometimes inaccurate especially in complicated configurations like this game.

Like how it supports the Pro Controller there, but arbitrarily doesn't for the co-op building, it doesn't mention edge cases like that. It doesn't mention an Online requirement for the local wireless but I don't want to be optimistic and disappointed.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
Where is anyone getting that coop building doesn't support the pro controller? Just from the narrator saying "use the joycon to build with a friend"?

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Where is anyone getting that coop building doesn't support the pro controller? Just from the narrator saying "use the joycon to build with a friend"?

The screenshot at that moment shows the other controller configuration options crossed out in the controller joining OS menu, like some games have done before.

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
if i cant download levels withoput online i will not buy it. not for the price, but for principle reasons

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So i can't not even download any course if i don't have the membership? What a load of crap.

Asking a price to host my courses are understandable, but even to download too? Yeah, there goes my reason to get a switch in the near future.

How is this any different than any other game on any other console that allows user-created content to be downloaded? You've always needed online for that. Did you not get a PS4 since DOOM required it for the custom maps?

At this point, with all the deals for free or cheap NSO, this has to be a silly hill to die on. You'll buy the $300 console but not the $10 for online for a year?

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Glad to hear I was wrong

It'll be unplayable in some levels but it's good they give people the option at least

Oct 25, 2017
How is Nintendo this incompetent with any of their online offerings? Why is it this hard for me to play anything online with friends?

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
Online with randoms is fine, but no online with friends? What is with these strange decisions?

Oct 26, 2017
Should be noted that it appears to be offline only because of how leaderboards works.
But still ... awesome =D
I'm honestly just fine with that. I'd rather have local multiplayer over online as hardly any of my friends have a Switch, at least none that'd get SMM2 :P

That being said...

Such a fucking Nintendo move. Paying $20 will improve Nintendo's online services, they said.

...this is some bullshit. WTF? Why? It's not like they aren't able to let you play with your friends as plenty of their games allow you to do that just fine. This is a deliberate decision they're making and it makes no fucking sense

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood this logic. Price has no bearing whatsoever on being able to play with friends. That not being an option isn't because of any technical or monetary limitation...

It's what folks said on here as soon as Nintendo started charging for their online play. Even if online remained free, of course I would still be a bit disgruntled by the news but at least online is still free thus a bigger pool of players joining in.

This is just a boneheaded decision made even worse when you're being charged online.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How is this any different than any other game on any other console that allows user-created content to be downloaded? You've always needed online for that. Did you not get a PS4 since DOOM required it for the custom maps?

At this point, with all the deals for free or cheap NSO, this has to be a silly hill to die on. You'll buy the $300 console but not the $10 for online for a year?
I didn't needed on Wii u. I don't need on pc Games. And look: you can't play with your friends, but I guess since it is cheap, nobody can complain about it or refuse get it until they change theirs instance, right?

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't needed on Wii u. I don't need on pc Games. And look: you can't play with your friends, but I guess since it is cheap, nobody can complain about it or refuse get it until they change theirs instance, right?

You moved the goal posts twice in one reply. If you aren't getting a Switch, it's not because of the $20 online service. It's because you don't want one.