• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
My only gripe is that it seems like it's limited to SMB1 style, unless they are hiding another bomb from us.
Video says that the Master Sword is SMB only; but I guess future crossover power-ups could be made for other themes instead.

I doubt we'll see any third-party power-ups; but Mega Man in SMB3 or Sonic in SMW? That's the dream.

i wish each would come with 10 or so nintendo made levels but oh well.
The Ninji mode will give us official Nintendo stages at least; even if they're all designed to be rushed through.

Oct 25, 2017
Bit tricky to pick out one, but I don't think that would stop it from happening. Maybe a Warp Star? Maxim Tomato?
latest

Dream Rod.

My only gripe is that it seems like it's limited to SMB1 style, unless they are hiding another bomb from us.

I feel like each mode needs its own gimmick to be viable for creation outside of nostalgia and obstacles. NES gets this, 3D World gets its own set of updates, hoping 3 and World get something too.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda wish it was possible to just make the player play as Link, rather than it be a power-up. For any level that has enemies you'd have to put master sword spawn pipes at regular intervals, in case people lose it. Just swap out the power-up mechanic for hearts.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Dayum, these new additions, especially the Master Sword, open up a metric tons of new opportunities. People will make some crazy zeldaesque temples. This could be a good replacement to amiibo costumes if they do this with other characters.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Oh holy crap

I love SMM2 so damn much I really need to get back into it. Looks like this will be the perfect reason to

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
In the japanese trailer, they start with "おまたせしました [Omataseshimashita]" which means "We have kept you waiting/Thank you for your patience".

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I feel like each mode needs its own gimmick to be viable for creation outside of nostalgia and obstacles. NES gets this, 3D World gets its own set of updates, hoping 3 and World get something too.
It'd be nice if they at least gave SMB3, SMW and NSMBU the power-ups they're still missing: Tanooki Suit, Frog Suit, Hammer Suit, P-Balloon, Super Acorn, Mini Mushroom and Penguin Suit. Every regular theme should get the Ice Flower though.

So, I'm just thinking... What if v3 update is Samus
Makes sense to me; we might get one of these per major update.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
baseless speculation: this update was planned to coincide with link's awakening but had to be delayed.

In the japanese trailer, they start with "おまたせしました [Omataseshimashita]" which means "We have kept you waiting/Thank you for your patience".

smh. as a non-japanese fan i deserve to be thanked for my patience as well.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New Smash character speculation: Broke
New Mario Maker 2 guest character mode speculation: FUCKIN' WOKE

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Excuse me whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? MASTER SWORD? Looks like its time to buy Mario Maker 2.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this update is going to change a lot about the game. That's crazy lol. I really wasn't expecting it to be so indepth, but it looks great and I'm glad I already have the game haha.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Very cool update, but seeing Pokey and Ninjis there hurts even more that we still don't have a SMB2 theme... :(

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Free.

nintendo still showing how to do DLC,

no months of promises, just drops it for the holidays

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Master Sword alone will make for some really unique levels, but it also reminds me how much I want a Zelda Maker. I love these updates, I just wish they were a little more frequent.

Mar 9, 2018
Bravo. Welcome home, Pokey. And Spike. And thank god for no Nabbit. And omg, Link with actual abilities.

This is amazing. Now do more! Give us Squitter once and for all.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Wow, what a great free update ! Hopfully, more are coming...So many possibilities with costumes now !
And I still think a new game style is coming. Maybe a paid DLC a la Splatoon 2 releasing next year.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hope we also get a few new options (please let me use other songs during night time - the ones in the game suck!)

Otherwise this is a great addition to the game!

I could see them adding:
DK for SMW style
Kirby for SMB3 or 3D World
Samus for SMW
and Pikachu for Super Mario Land

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like an amazing update, and yeah I'm convinced the sudden need to add online with friends delayed this one.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
If they're re-purposing the character costumes from MM 1 to be full new move sets like the Master Sword going forward, that'd be amazing.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
This is really cool - I'll definitely be getting back on Mario Maker 2 after this update. Hopefully we get some good Zelda style levels and some fun new uses of these different updates. There were some decent levels based on dungeons from Adventure of Link not long after launch, actually.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, so the Zelda jingle is a sound effect and seems to replace the light bulb (doorbell sound) Wonder if other sounds change with the Link costume.