• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
Man, the neon Switch isn't nearly as popular as I thought it would be.

And CoD is at #23?! Yeesh, I didn't even necessarily think it would make it to the top 5 or 10 but to be that low...

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I believe SMO was #2 on that chart just behind the $20 card a few days ago.

But yeah, pretty impressive since it launched just about one month ago.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only non-Nintendo game in the top 20 is Sony's Horizon. Geez.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Now we need an Odyssey 2 with a Waluigi Kingdom

150.jpg

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Splatoon 2 also doin well cool, it will probably outsell the first game within a year wich was at nearly 5m units WW, 2 is at 3.6+m world wide.

My new favorite gaming IP.

Anyway Mario being insanely huge again thanks to Mario Run (yeah this helped as well brand wise) and Odyssey is awesome. I remember some people saying his relevance lowered a bit but well even on 3ds and Wii U Mario games still did well or well atleast the mainline ones + Mario Kart and Maker.

Going from Wii U to this is something i never imagined. Time to order some crow cake because after that Switch reveal presentation i was a doubter glad i am hugely wrong.

Oct 27, 2017
Only amazon.com but hell yeah, it's Year of the Switch

FYI:
In Germany it's FIFA 18 https://www.amazon.de/gp/bestsellers/2017/videogames/
In UK it's Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/2017/videogames/
In France it's Super Mario Odyssey https://www.amazon.fr/gp/bestsellers/2017/videogames/
In Canada it's The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild https://www.amazon.ca/gp/bestsellers/2017/videogames/
That gives a very good look at how regions respond to certain content. Crash being top in UK is very interesting, shows where nostalgia lay. Also illustrates the UKs ho-hum relationship with Nintendo content. Good to see all the games on these lists though (albeit only on Amazon) all high quality content.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1. Mario Odyssey
2. Mario Kart Deluxe
3. Zelda Breath of the Wild - Switch
4. Horizon Zero Dawn
5. Splatoon 2
6. COD WW2 - PS4
7. COD WW2 - XB1
8. Zelda Breath of the Wild Wii U
9. Pokemon Ultra Sun
10. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMix PS4
11. Uncharted The Lost Legacy
12. Crash Bandicoot Collection
13. Mario Rabbids
14. Pokemon Ultra moon
15. GTA5 PS4
16. Arms
17. Destiny 2 PS4
18. Resident Evil 7 PS4
19. Ghost Recon PS4
20. Mass Effect Andromeda PS4

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Seems like great news, but ... seriously, game rankings on Amazon really aren't a great predictor. Compare NPD game rankings with monthly Amazon game rankings and you'll see what I mean.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the neon Switch isn't nearly as popular as I thought it would be.

And CoD is at #23?! Yeesh, I didn't even necessarily think it would make it to the top 5 or 10 but to be that low...

Could that be due to limited quantities though? In general I've seen the Grey much more in stock at stores. If not, maybe its a sign that Switch is appealing more to older gamers who would be less likely to go Neon.

New Switch owners are buying Odyssey, BOTW, MK8D, Splatoon 2, and Mario + Rabbids.

Imagine being like a 11 year old kid and opening a Switch and those games on Christmas. Have a year Nintendo.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, unless you are blind, Amazon US's top 20 only shows Horizon there that isn't a Nintendo game. And I'm counting the top-up cards, controllers etc. So stop being ignorant please.
I'm not the one in the thread discussing game sales ignoring the subject. So take your advice.

It's not surprising given Sony's security problems in the past.

That's probably part of it but it's most likely due to the huge rise in digital game sales.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I've bought two SMO carts, one for me and one for my daughter. My wife will borrow one of ours when she gets her switch.

But here is the thing, I buy the Nintendo games I can on carts due to the inability to share digital games between our switches.
Everything else I've bought this year has been digital except for Nier on the PS3 as it doesn't have a digital version.
So I'm not surprised at this ranking at all considering how I act myself.

In any case, Nintendo is doing well so all is good. I haven't had a Nintendo machine since SNES and so far it feels like a proper Nintendo ;)

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not the one in the thread discussing game sales ignoring the subject. So take your advice.
I'm not ignoring the subject. I said Horizon is the only non-Nintendo game in Amazon's top 20. Odyssey is a Nintendo game that's why I didn't count it. Don't know why I'm explaining this to you.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've bought two SMO carts, one for me and one for my daughter. My wife will borrow one of ours when she gets her switch.

But here is the thing, I buy the Nintendo games I can on carts due to the inability to share digital games between our switches.
Everything else I've bought this year has been digital except for Nier on the PS3 as it doesn't have a digital version.
So I'm not surprised at this ranking at all considering how I act myself.

In any case, Nintendo is doing well so all is good. I haven't had a Nintendo machine since SNES and so far it feels like a proper Nintendo ;)
I'm physical only on Switch because it's a handheld and Nintendo can't be trusted to give me access to digital games on all Switches I may own in the future.

butterbutt!

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone pointing out how big multi-platform titles like COD and Assassin's Creed are underrepresented on Amazon are certainly right but why is that the case? If I were buying physical copies of those games I'd probably go through Amazon as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone pointing out how big multi-platform titles like COD and Assassin's Creed are underrepresented on Amazon are certainly right but why is that the case? If I were buying physical copies of those games I'd probably go through Amazon as well.

An exclusive game like SMO has only one SKU (well, 2 including digital). So every sale of the game on Amazon will be represented by that SKU. Call of Duty appears on multiple platforms, and has multiple editions on each one. So its sales will be spread out among them. But since Amazon doesn't combine the SKUs in its rankings, we don't necessarily get an accurate picture of where games rank with one another in total sales. So while SMO may outrank each individual SKU of Call of Duty, it likely doesn't have more sales of all those SKUs combined.

I think it's misleading to say the Amazon rankings aren't reflective of the overall market, unless there's been some study that shows this. I just don't think the way the ranks are shown gives enough information to make a comparison between games with different numbers of SKUs.