• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Amazing progress being made from the Yuzu devs. Really interested to see when 4k and ultrawide graphic packs (a la Cemu) start popping up, will probably jump in once that's a thing.

ARMS seems to be playing really well too. Fully playable from the looks of things. Splatoon 2 is the big outlier here.

Also hoping that this pushes the mod community further. It's already pretty healthy on the Switch but I'd like to see this bring about more people making more custom maps.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
I'm watching this carefully, namely because I feel Odyssey would be one of the most beautiful games of the generation, had it debuted on better hardware.

It still looks really nice, though.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching this carefully, namely because I feel Odyssey would be one of the most beautiful games of the generation, had it debuted on better hardware.

Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 and Breath of the Wild are absolutely still on my list of most beautiful games of the generation.

On a technical level they obviously can't compare, but if you're not looking at that aspect they absolutely hold their own against titles like Uncharted 4, God of War, and Red Dead 2 from an aesthetic perspective.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017

I remember having similar feelings about Super Mario Galaxy, though I felt it was gorgeous, no matter its resolution. Super Mario Odyssey didn't quite impress me in the same way, but some worlds really are pretty. (For example, the Sand Kingdom had some great visuals, in my opinion.) I guess we'll see how emulation changes things!

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 and Breath of the Wild are absolutely still on my list of most beautiful games of the generation.

On a technical level they obviously can't compare, but if you're not looking at that aspect they absolutely hold their own against titles like Uncharted 4, God of War, and Red Dead 2 from an aesthetic perspective.
Yeah, BotW looks really good on Cemu

Cr7azmV.jpg

I really wonder how good Animal Crossing is going to look at 4k. The AC map in MK8 at 4k already is something else.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Odyssey would look stunning in 4k + some fancy graphical enhancements. Nintendo are at the top of the industry when it comes to art styles that don't age, but their hardware is really holding them back.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
The main thing I would love to use Yazu for would be Xenoblade 2. Better performance, textures, resolution, and some QoL mods could go a long way in that game.

Odyssey and Zelda would certainly be interesting as well. For Odyssey though motion controls could screw things up. Are joycons supported by the emulator?

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I wouldn't have expected that Switch emulation would have progressed this quickly. I mean I guess it's been out for a few years but 60fps for something like Odyssey is certainly impressive. I'm looking forward to Breath of the Wild being at a comparable level of performance.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I wouldn't have expected that Switch emulation would have progressed this quickly. I mean I guess it's been out for a few years but 60fps for something like Odyssey is certainly impressive. I'm looking forward to Breath of the Wild being at a comparable level of performance.
While based on WiiU version, BOTW already looks and runs better on CEMU (4K 60fps).

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Xenoblade 2 really has some beautiful vistas that you can definitely tell suffers quite a bit from the resolution - it'll be great to see it in 4K down the line!

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well the guy in the video has an i7 8700K so the hardware requirements are significant to get close to 60fps.

I wish more people would donate to the Yuzu Patreon because they are doing great work. I've no idea why the Cemu devs are still raking in several thousand dollars a month considering how mature the project is, and the fact that Breath of the Wild has been playable on that emulator for a considerable amount of time now.

Deleted member 21601

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have no problem with emulators for previous gen machines or older. But current gen emulators? Sounds more like pirates are into this stuff trying to get the current games for free. Whats the point if you have a real Switch?

Like the guy under my post.

Oct 25, 2017
How about 30fps? What kind of pc for that? Switch is not my kind of system, but there are some games I'd love to play.

So this emulator making this kind of progress is awesome.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
How about 30fps? What kind of pc for that? Switch is not my kind of system, but there are some games I'd love to play.

So this emulator making this kind of progress is awesome.
SMO is 60fps on the Switch so playing it at under that is kinda of eh. You could probably get this running decently on a 1050Ti and current gen i5.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yet again the best console to buy is a PC. It might take a while for newer systems to be emulated, though.

Doct0r

Jun 7, 2018
Durham, UK
I have no problem with emulators for previous gen machines or older. But current gen emulators? Sounds more like pirates are into this stuff trying to get the current games for free. Whats the point if you have a real Switch?

What about people who buy a copy of the game but want to play it on their PCs?

Deleted member 21601

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What about people who buy a copy of the game but want to play it on their PCs?
I dont think thats the case for a high percentage of people who want a Switch emulator at this point. But if you also have the console thats ok.

You can literaly just plug the Switch into your monitor. So why run an emulator on the pc to play the games?

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Well the guy in the video has an i7 8700K so the hardware requirements are significant to get close to 60fps.

I wish more people would donate to the Yuzu Patreon because they are doing great work. I've no idea why the Cemu devs are still raking in several thousand dollars a month considering how mature the project is, and the fact that Breath of the Wild has been playable on that emulator for a considerable amount of time now.
Besides overall stability, are there any differences between emulating the Wii U and Switch versions of BOTW?

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Besides overall stability, are there any differences between emulating the Wii U and Switch versions of BOTW?

The Wii U emulation would be much faster evolved as the Wii U and emulation project has existed for far longer with much more effort put into it.

Although BOTW is the same game on Wii U and Switch, the consoles they run on are entirely different architecture.

Oct 25, 2017
If there are Switch games you'd love to play, get a Switch. Because you still have to buy the games anyway if you want to use the emulator.

There are games I'd love to play. Like 3.

Playing the odd switch game here and there with investing in a whole system that I mostly won't use seems like a waste. Portable aspect is completely lost on me as well.
Not really interested in investing into the eshop either tbh.
So really, either I buy the games to play on pc, or I don't buy anything.

Seems like a win for Nintendo I think.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Emulators are incredible. It's crazy how fast this thing has moved. I might buy some Switch games when it becomes more stable.
You can literaly just plug the Switch into your monitor. So why run an emulator on the pc to play the games?
Higher resolution, higher framerate, etc.
In a way, it's drastically increasing the longevity of these games. In the future I don't want to have to keep a Switch around to revisit older games. The same thing happened with the Wii. I would've never went back to Wii/Gamecube games again because of all the setup, but I can play them any time on PC in UHD.

Doct0r

Jun 7, 2018
Durham, UK
Do you think people are buying Nintendo's premium Switch games at ÂŁ60 & ÂŁ50 to play on a PC emulator that doesn't guarantee to run them properly yet?

Maybe. Maybe not.
Hey, I'd love to do a second playthrough on my PC in 4K once I've finished it on my switch. Variety is the spice of life! Although I'll admit that's a pretty small user base.

Deleted member 21601

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Emulators are incredible. It's crazy how fast this thing has moved. I might buy some Switch games when it becomes more stable.

Higher resolution, higher framerate, etc.
In a way, it's drastically increasing the longevity of these games. In the future I don't want to have to keep a Switch around to revisit older games. The same thing happened with the Wii. I would've never went back to Wii/Gamecube games again because of all the setup, but I can play them any time on PC in UHD.
According to the current Steam hardware survey only 6% of the PC players use something above 1080p:

screenshot_2019-01-11czdy7.png

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
According to the current Steam hardware survey only 6% of the PC players use something above 1080p:

What's your point?

The audience for emulaiton is not neccessarily the same audience for CS GO and Dota 2. 15 percent of people are still on their mom's shitty old laptop, it doesn't mean anything too meaningful can be drawn from that when it comes to high end stuff like emulation.

Then there's things like downsampling. I don't have a 4k monitor but I play many games in 4k.

Last edited:

Saray

Nov 26, 2018
Cool. The only Nintendo saga i am interested is Fire Emblem. And i am not buying a console for one game. So i hope that Three houses runs great.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017

Why look above 1080p ? 1080p will already be an improvement for many switch games ( without even going into the supersampling territory for a better AA/IQ ), Mario Odyssey is 900p, Xenoblade 2 is 720p ( and can go below at times ).

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

It took 14 years for Dolphin to implement Ubershaders and fix the last major hurdle for really good Gamecube and Wii emulation. So starting this shit early is pretty valuable.

Plus, there's a lot of online games out there with content that won't be around forever. So an emulator is invaluable for preserving all that.

And N64 was a console where there was a backlash against an emulator coming out while the console was out - and coincidentally or not, N64 emulation still sucks ass.

And, in this specific case, I don't think Switch emulation is gonna be good enough during its lifespan for it to be a viable alternative.

Nov 8, 2017
Well, looks like I'll never be buying a Switch! :)

I dont think thats the case for a high percentage of people who want a Switch emulator at this point. But if you also have the console thats ok.

Why would I buy a piece of hardware to do something that I can already do on hardware that I already own?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Super hyped about this moving along so fast. I have 3 Switches (don't ask lol) but I'd love to play Xenoblade 2 in particular in higher resolution.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never said I wouldn't buy the games though. Same reason I own a bunch of PS1 games, yet I haven't owned a PS1 since the 90's. Stop being so presumptuous.
I didn't see him say he wouldn't buy the game. You can have a problem with that all you want and that's fair, but it's not piracy
how is he gonna get the roms to run in the emulator if he doesn't have a switch?
the only option that comes to mind is downloading the roms, which is piracy.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously they will be buying a copy of the game and dumping it themselves. Everyone who uses emulators buys full copies of the games they want to play.
lol yeah, and i know you're being sarcastic but you actually need a switch to dump the carts so even assuming you're gonna buy all the games you want to emulate, you have to actually pirate them to emulate them.
not trying to go off topic here, emulators are cool and it's nice to see improvements (even if i see them as a negative this early into the console's life) but saying shit like yay i don't need a switch to play mario and zelda is super sus.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
lol yeah, and i know you're being sarcastic but you actually need a switch to dump the carts so even assuming you're gonna buy all the games you want to emulate, you have to actually pirate them to emulate them.

An interesting point I did not know.

Possibly an ethical discussion for another thread: if you buy a physical version of a product, are you then entitled to pull a rip of it from the internet?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Possibly an ethical discussion for another thread: if you buy a physical version of a product, are you then entitled to pull a rip of it from the internet?
i say no, because the only reason you are able to download a rip of a game (doesn't matter if you own it or not) is because someone put it up there to facilitate piracy. you're only able to get the rom because piracy is a thing.