• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
An interesting point I did not know.

Possibly an ethical discussion for another thread: if you buy a physical version of a product, are you then entitled to pull a rip of it from the internet?
Still piracy, it has to be from your owned physical copy.

I'm assuming a person could borrow another person's Switch purely to rip the game they purchased correct? With the Switch selling so well it's not like it would be hard to find someone to borrow one from.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

I'm assuming a person could borrow another person's Switch purely to rip the game they purchased correct? With the Switch selling so well it's not like it would be hard to find someone to borrow one from.

Does it have to be hacked too? So you've got to find a friend with a hacked one?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole ripping and dumping thing is just technical pedantry and a preface to just yell "pirate!" at more people and derail a dozen threads.

Congrats, you are technically correct, the best kind of correct.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Well, looks like I'll never be buying a Switch! :)
Why would I buy a piece of hardware to do something that I can already do on hardware that I already own?
Because:

a) There's not a single emulator out there capable of perfectly emulating a console's full library.
b) You won't be able to play online.
c) There will be glitches and lots of shortcomings that sometimes are not worth your time and investment.
d) You won't get the Switch's main feature (portability).
e) You'll eventually pirate games if it's easy enough for you to do so (given your "I don't need another hardware" mentality) and that's obviously not ok.

When purchasing games (like any other software), whether physical or digital, what you're actually purchasing is a licence to use it. The method of distribution is not relevant. As long as I have a licence to use the software, then I'm not breaking the law and it's not piracy because I have the necessary licence to use the software.
Yeah, that's not how things work mate.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
how is he gonna get the roms to run in the emulator if he doesn't have a switch?
the only option that comes to mind is downloading the roms, which is piracy.
When purchasing games (like any other software), whether physical or digital, what you're actually purchasing is a licence to use it. The method of distribution is not relevant. As long as I have a licence to use the software, then I'm not breaking the law and it's not piracy because I have the necessary licence to use the software.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Does it have to be hacked too? So you've got to find a friend with a hacked one?
Yeah that's true, although if it's an early model it's so easy to do and undo that it wouldn't be a huge barrier.

As another person said though, it's going to be a while before games are perfectly playable so in the short to medium term it's better to just enjoy playing them on an actual Switch.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When purchasing games (like any other software), whether physical or digital, what you're actually purchasing is a licence to use it. It doesn't matter where any particular copy of the software originates. As long as I have a licence to use the software, then I'm not breaking the law and it's not piracy because I have the necessary licence to use the software.
you're not entitled to an illegal digital copy of the game you have a physical copy of. i can't demand an eshop copy of my physical switch games either.
and where are you getting that legal digital copy of the game you have a license for? on a piracy website or torrent or whatever.

edit: last post itt, don't want to go off topic.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
When purchasing games (like any other software), whether physical or digital, what you're actually purchasing is a licence to use it. It doesn't matter where any particular copy of the software originates. As long as I have a licence to use the software, then I'm not breaking the law and it's not piracy because I have the necessary licence to use the software.
Lmao that's not how it works. You can't download a ROM, even if you own the physical copy. You license to play the game doesn't give you a right to be a pirate. If you want it legal, dump it yourself using a switch since that's the only way you are going to read the cart.

Nov 8, 2017
you're not entitled to an illegal digital copy of the game you have a physical copy of. i can't demand an eshop copy of my physical switch games either.
and where are you getting that legal digital copy of the game you have a license for? on a piracy website or torrent or whatever.
Any particular copy of a game is not inherently "legal" or "illegal". It only has that status in conjunction with the person who is in possession and use of it.

Like, if my friend dumps his Super Mario Odyssey, it's legal for him. But if he gives me the dump he made and I haven't purchased the game, then the same copy is illegal for me.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it. Wasn't Odyssey already 60 fps?

While based on WiiU version, BOTW already looks and runs better on CEMU (4K 60fps).

Okay, this is super cool. But how is it possible to change the frame rate to 60 fps when the original game code was designed for 30 fps? Like, wouldn't this require creating more frames of animation?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Any particular copy of a game is not inherently "legal" or "illegal". It only has that status in conjunction with the person who is in possession and use of it.

Like, if my friend dumps his Super Mario Odyssey, it's legal for him. But if he gives me the dump he made and I haven't purchased the game, then the same copy is illegal for me.
No if someone uploads a ROM to a file sharing website it's illegal period.

Also its Still illegal for your friend to give you the dump even if you purchased your own copy.

Nov 8, 2017
No if someone uploads a ROM to a file sharing website it's illegal period.
Nothing to do with what I was saying, but whatever.

Also its Still illegal for your friend to give you the dump even if you purchased your own copy.
Nope, you're wrong.

Anyways... It's a shame that the anti-emulation force come into every thread like this to spread FUD, lies, and misinformation about emulation, copyright, and software licensing. I swear they must know what they're doing; probably just trying (and most times succeeding) to get emulation threads shut down due to "piracy" discussion, which they are always the ones to bring up in the first place.

It sucks that we can never have a thread to talk about an emulator without it eventually getting closed due to these posts.

Last edited:

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Downloading games you own is a grey area and people look silly calling it "piracy".

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder what quality i'll get with my Overpowered budget gaming laptop (16GB DDR4-2666 + nvidia 1050 2GB + i5-8300h) at 1080 lol.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

Nope, you're wrong.
Nope, you should probably educate yourself. You are not entitled to any and every copy of a game, of which you own a particular copy. Only the copy you bought and the backup you made.
Downloading games you own is a grey area and people look silly calling it "piracy".
No it is not gray. It is considered piracy and illegal.

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
Downloading from illegal sources is illegal and not in any way grey area. The only grey area comes from the download method used and if it's a copyright infringement or straight up crime depending on your country's legislation. The only way downloading is legal for emulating is if you download from the rightholder's server and rip it from your device to use on your emulator.

And I say this as a professional lawyer.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible progress. I only have a 1080p screen at the moment but it would be awesome to replay stuff like Odyssey in even higher quality some day.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK

That Switch would have to be hacked, which isn't yet available to brand new retail units from July 2018. Even then, hacking a Switch brings new implications.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, you should probably educate yourself. You are not entitled to any and every copy of a game, of which you own a particular copy. Only the copy you bought and the backup you made.

Downloading from illegal sources is illegal and not in any way grey area. The only grey area comes from the download method used and if it's a copyright infringement or straight up crime depending on your country's legislation. The only way downloading is legal for emulating is if you download from the rightholder's server and rip it from your device to use on your emulator.

And I say this as a professional lawyer.
It may be technically illegal, but who the fuck cares as long as you aren't helping to distribute it? And if that's the case I'll just borrow a Switch and rip my games.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Wow this is amazing to see! :D I wonder if BotW will end up looking better than on CEMU once IQ mods start to appear.

Same reason I play my Wii U games on PC when I still have my console, and why I choose to uprgrade my CPU to a 8700k :
KTFaPQS.jpg

that IQ.

Okay that does look stunning! o.o How does Xenoblade X run nowadays? I have a 8600k at 4.8ghz but didn't dump my copy so far because I always read of audio-issues and graphical bugs.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, this is super cool. But how is it possible to change the frame rate to 60 fps when the original game code was designed for 30 fps? Like, wouldn't this require creating more frames of animation?
When it's done correctly, as is most of the time, a game engine doesn't care about the "frames" of animation when translating it into motion. Everything you're seeing inbetween is reinterpolated. That's how you can have games with unlocked framerates not look broken.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Also the sooner emulation, the sooner they might allow things like using higher resolution texture. I was amazed at how easy it was to do when I gave it a try on Dolphin to test that AI Neural Networks thingy to increase texture resolution for Baten Kaitos and The Last story :

MjDztLH.jpg

eci7Pkw.jpg

3 in game comparison BK : http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/127238
2 in game comparison TLS :http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/127220

The sooner I'm able to do this for Xenoblade X & 2 the better. <3

Nov 8, 2017

That's not how software licensing works. But you refuse to learn, so I'm just going to dump you on ignore.

I'm done discussing software licensing and copyright law in this thread. People obviously just want to push their own agendas rather than understand reality.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Ethically if you feel like it sure, but no law says so. You only buy a switch cart that can be used on your console, you don't buy the right to download the rom.

Anyway ResetEra allows emulation discussion and it's been already stated by admin/mods that emulation != piracy, so I don't see why we discuss this every time.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Wow this is amazing to see! :D I wonder if BotW will end up looking better than on CEMU once IQ mods start to appear.
Why would would it? Cemu's graphic pack functionality already supersedes what game mods alone can do because it can affect how things are rendered at the rendering pipeline level. Outside of that, the assets themselves are identical.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Nope, you're wrong.

Anyways... It's a shame that the anti-emulation force come into every thread like this to spread FUD, lies, and misinformation about emulation, copyright, and software licensing. I swear they must know what they're doing; probably just trying (and most times succeeding) to get emulation threads shut down due to "piracy" discussion, which they are always the ones to bring up in the first place.

It sucks that we can never have a thread to talk about an emulator without it eventually getting closed due to these posts.
Sorry, you really need to research the issue more.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/why-most-roms-are-illegal,37512.html
Can I Rightfully Download an Emulated Game if I Own a Cartridge?
Let's say you own a cartridge of the the first Donkey Kong and want to download an emulated version from a ROM site. It turns out that that's copyright infringement as well. As noted above, while creating your own backup copy is generally okay, downloading someone else's backup (or distributing your own backup) is not. As the U.S. Copyright Office puts it, "if you want a backup copy of a lawfully owned computer program, back it up yourself."
https://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom
Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.
https://www.zophar.net/articles/FairUseROMs.html
2) Can you download a ROM image if you own the original media? NO, unfortunately. The instant the dump was put into a forum for commerce, which any FTP or web site qualifies as, it became infringing, and you cannot turn an infringing dump into a legal one by any means. You have to make your OWN non-infringing dump, eventhough it's more convenient to download the infringing one. :(

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Also the sooner emulation, the sooner they might allow things like using higher resolution texture. I was amazed at how easy it was to do when I gave it a try on Dolphin to test that AI Neural Networks thingy to increase texture resolution for Baten Kaitos and The Last story :

MjDztLH.jpg

eci7Pkw.jpg

3 in game comparison BK : http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/127238
2 in game comparison TLS :http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/127220

The sooner I'm able to do this for Xenoblade X & 2 the better. <3
That AI network is incredible. Although it seems to have added extra clothes in TLS screenshots lol.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Why would would it? Cemu's graphic pack functionality already supersedes what game mods alone can do because it can affect how things are rendered at the rendering pipeline level. Outside of that, the assets themselves are identical.

Hmm alright, I just wondered because I recall reading at BotW launch that the Switch version had some higher graphical-settings on the Switch vs the Wii U internally but maybe I'm misremembering.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, there's no visual difference between the Cemu and Switch ports of BOTW so Cemu will be the best way to play it for a long time.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
why are all the animations running so fast? like, he mentions the town in sand kingdom running at between 40-50 fps now, and yet the animations look like they're running at double or triple speed?

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Sorry if its been answered already, but how's the compatibility (glitches etc)? In other words, how long before perfect, full-speed emulation (perhaps with a shader cache)?

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
That's not how software licensing works. But you refuse to learn, so I'm just going to dump you on ignore.

I'm done discussing software licensing and copyright law in this thread. People obviously just want to push their own agendas rather than understand reality.
Software has stricter copyright protection than other works such as books and music. In legal sense if the dumping was done by another person, it's a no no. If it was done by yourself, it's ok. Dumping library cd's for your own private use can be legal depending on your local legislation.

Downloading from sources other than the right holder's sources, in this case nintendo's servers or even downloading from them without authorization can constitute as "piracy". I bought many gamecube and wii games that I ripped and I can enjoy those legally on Dolphin and it's a blast. I played Skyward Sword on emulator, right after I ripped off my limited-edition version (gotta love the golden wii-mote). Had I downloaded it or get it from a friend's dump, it would've been illegal.

Deleted member 21601

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"To start playing games, yuzu needs a couple of different files and directories from your switch in order to play them properly. "

So to all people who say its okay without owning a Switch. Its not.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Of course this thread had to devolve into another petty piracy rant.

I very much welcome this progress. I may be using this emulator to play Switch games in 50 years time. Like I've said before, best case scenario is me being able to load my real Switch NAND into Yuzu where it will live and be preserved forever. My Switch, my games and most importantly my saves can both live in the cloud and continue to evolve simultaneously.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
"To start playing games, yuzu needs a couple of different files and directories from your switch in order to play them properly. "

So to all people who say its okay without owning a Switch. Its not.
I believe Cemu needed this as well until cemuhook came along with shared fonts. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happens with Yuzu, but it's definitely not possible currently.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What wizardry is this?

This seems insane how fast and far they've come with this. Switch hasn't even been out two years yet. Goddamn.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Yuzu progress is amazing. They still have ways to go on the GPU front, but it's awesome to see the level of quality that's already possible.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I want to see Xenoblade 2 running on this thing. Has to be gorgeous at 4k...