• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
OpenCritic: 98

Metacritic: 97

H9IfqbX.jpg

GameXplain: 6/5

EDGE: 10
Like Breath of the Wild, Odyssey is a new entry in a long-running series that belies its age with sprightly invention, taking big risks with an established formula, and having all of them pay off handsomely. Mario might be getting on a bit, then, but a dinosaur? This astonishing adventure proves he's anything but.

Entertainment Reviews: 6/5
Hats off to Nintendo but it's done it again. As if the latest Legend of Zelda wasn't reason enough alone to own a Switch console, Super Mario Odyssey effortlessly confirms the theory that no one can conjure gaming magic like Nintendo can.

Press Start: 10/10
I don't know how Nintendo continues to do it, but they've managed to reinvent another classic franchise and push it further than imaginable. Super Mario Odyssey is the game that we've been waiting to play for more than 20 years. It feels like it borrows key elements from almost every Mario game that has come before it to create what is possibly not only the greatest Mario game, but one of the best 3D platformers of all time.

Game Informer: 9.8/10
It's impossible to pinpoint a fault in Super Mario Odyssey, which both elegantly and eloquently surprises and calls back to its storied history. It's a game full of surprises; one that plays with your expectations and supersedes them in almost every way. If you have a Switch (or are yet to get one), it's simply essential.

Nintendo Life: 100
Super Mario Odyssey represents a shift in direction for Mario. For about a decade we had exceptional but tightly structured 3D series entries, but this new arrival's building blocks go back to Super Mario 64. It's a very modern take on 'sandbox Mario', however - Cappy and his abilities are key additions that freshen up the formula, and we have a sizeable and diverse set of lands to explore. Odyssey will, inevitably, now enter the discussions about the 'best' Mario games. This writer won't be crowning it as number one just yet, but it is nevertheless worthy of the discussion. Particularly in the second half and post-credits it takes on a life of its own, showcasing incredible design and development flair. It's also a wonderful showcase for the Switch, and could introduce a whole new audience to the wonders of Mario in three dimensions. For the veterans among us, it's yet another special release to remind us of why Mario is still gaming's number one.

COGconnected: 100
Super Mario Odyssey is a masterpiece. It surprised me regularly, delighted me constantly, and smashed my expectations in ways I'd never have predicted. The deftly woven combination of nostalgic themes, intuitive gameplay, and incredibly inventive design make this not only the best Mario game to date, but one of the most joyful and compelling games ever made.

TheSixthAxis: 100
Super Mario Odyssey is bursting at the seams with creativity, as Nintendo plays with new ideas while also paying homage to their long history. Cappy's abilities are a perfect compliment to Mario's own, and there's a wonderful silliness and humour to their adventure as they visit a string of contrasting kingdoms that just beg you to find the secrets hidden around every corner. Simply put, Super Mario Odyssey is a masterpiece.

IGN: 10 (Masterpiece)
Mario's games have been around for almost as long as game consoles have been a thing, but thankfully, he's always evolving. We rarely get the same Mario twice. Super Mario Odyssey delivers on that ongoing promise of originality and innovation: It distills the venerable series' joyful, irreverent world and characters and best-in-class platforming action, and introduces a steady stream of new and unexpected mechanics. It's all spun together into a generational masterpiece.

Nintendo Insider: 10/10
There is no other series that can capture pure joy so readily, and, coupled with the fact that Nintendo has regained their confidence with Nintendo Switch, sees Super Mario Odyssey never hit a bum note. Packed with energy, charm, and every trick in the book thrown in, choosing to hop aboard the Odyssey will undoubtedly result in you having the chance to experience one of the Mario's greatest adventures. It's a perfect reminder of the gaming magic that Nintendo is revered for, and something that they have miraculously been able to bottle twice within a single year.

GamesRadar: 100
Super Mario Odyssey successfully brings the series up to date and opens it up to a new audience, while still retaining every ounce of its nostalgia and retro charm.

GameSpot: 100
Mario's latest outing is big, bold, and bursting with new ideas, and like Breath of the Wild, is another instance of Nintendo going above and beyond to redefine our expectations. It's a shining example of refined creativity, and another crown jewel for Switch that is without equal.

Cubed3: 100
The wait is over; the pinnacle of 3D adventures has arrived in the form of Super Mario Odyssey. It beggars belief just how much Nintendo has packed into this latest outing, without compromising the core Mario goodness of the past. Just as with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Mario series has now reached a special new level of greatness that will be hard to surpass in the future. The Nintendo Switch is fast becoming the hottest platform, crammed full of sublime quality gaming experiences like this fantastic new escapade.

Meristation: 97
Sandbox Mario is back in a game that feels as joyous as limitless. Explore, experiment and dare to try new things with the brilliant capture mechanic and a stunning move set that makes Mario shine again.

Polygon: 95
For a character nearing 40 years old, it's amazing that Mario has remained not only a beloved character but one whose games are generally expected to be great. From that perspective, it's no surprise that Super Mario Odyssey is, yes, a great game. But more than that, it's a fantastic, even fundamental addition to Mario's legacy. From a plumber to a doctor to a tennis star to, uh, a Goomba, Mario has endured. No, this will not be the last Mario game, but it is almost certain to be lauded as one of his best.

Game Rant: 100
In almost every way, the game acts as a love letter to fans of the 3D iterations of the Super Mario franchise. From the spectacular Kingdoms and all of their hidden secrets to the minute nods to past ventures and friends, the entirety of this adventure is a joyride from beginning to end – with countless hours that can be invested into the title long after the narrative has been completed. The formulaic changes have helped modernized a genre that has long been dormant, which is an immense feat in and of itself.

Guardian: 100
New sidekick Cappy could have been just another annoying sidekick, but its inclusion only adds to the playfulness of Nintendo Switch's first Mario adventure.

FNintendo: 100
Super Mario Odyssey takes everything that made its predecessors masterpieces of gaming and blends them together into an unforgettable, new and unique experience that packs an absurd amount of content and which will keep players clinging on to it for many, many wonderful hours to come. An absolute monument of a game that gets everything right and which comes down to not only one of the greatest games of this generation but one of the greatest games of all time.

Gameblog.fr: 100
By jumping aboard the Odyssey, Mario takes us on a trip where await nothing but discoveries and wonders all along. By gathering elements from every game of the franchise, Nintendo expand the classic gameplay with Cappy's possession. Diverse, intelligent, colorful and incredibly long and surprising, the free exploration will satisfy both curious and hardcore gamers. Super Mario Odyssey sanctifies a 30-year-old series that still amazes us episode after episode.

NintendoWorldReport: 100
As someone who enjoys level-based Super Mario games more, I have to say that Odyssey blew me away. With the next Power Moon constantly within reach, the push forward is constant. Using Mario's expanded moveset, unique challenges are abound while trying to collect your next Power Moon. Even the lack of traditional power-ups doesn't hurt the experience at all, as the team of Mario and Cappy offers all sorts of wonderful new abilities. The journey of this odyssey took me to all sorts of amazing worlds that I already find myself missing. Now that I've seen every bit of it, I look back on my adventure with a great smile. It is an incredible experience that I felt extremely compelled to complete, simply because I didn't want it all to end. Only the best games pull that feeling out of me, and this one did just that. Super Mario Odyssey is my favorite game on Switch by a long shot.

Trusted Reviews: 100
It carried ginormous expectations, but somehow Nintendo has managed to leapfrog over the bar by a huge distance. Offering the most satisfying gameplay experience of any Mario game to date, Super Mario Odyssey is near-perfect.

Nintendo Enthusiast: 100
Super Mario Odyssey is the best game available on Nintendo Switch, and just might be my favorite game of the year. It isn't just a masterclass of level and sound design, it's a celebration of the Super Mario franchise, and one of helluva celebration to take part in.

Switch Player: 100
Not since Super Mario 64 has a Mario adventure had me this captivated, immersed or impressed. Super Mario Odyssey is Nintendo's finest Super Mario title yet, and easily the most impressive Nintendo Switch title available. With so much to see and do - long after you've dispatched Bowser - you'll be returning to the Odyssey for a long time. Essential for all Switch owners and worth buying a Switch for. It's that good.

Telegraph: 100
The pleasure of Super Mario Odyssey comes in the constant promise of something new. It is, in many ways, the greatest digital holiday you will ever take. An idea that Nintendo is very much aware of with the ever expanding wardrobe of travelling outfits, detailed maps for each Kingdom laid out like travel brochures and souvenirs that you can buy up with stage-specific coins. The variety, invention and sheer generosity on each trip is bewildering, an affirmation that Nintendo in this kind of exuberant form are absolutely peerless. A trip to savour. And not a second wasted.

Vooks: 100
Nintendo has managed, not once, but twice now in 2017 to take one of their beloved franchises, give it a breath of fresh air while still retaining the core of what made the series great in the first time. Super Mario Odyssey is a wonder and shows everyone why Mario is still king.

Metro GameCentral: 100
A joyful celebration - and evolution - of the Super Mario series, that encapsulates all the fun and creativity of video gaming at its very best.

Critical Hit: 100
It's impossible to pinpoint a fault in Super Mario Odyssey, which both elegantly and eloquently surprises and calls back to its storied history. It's a game full of surprises; one that plays with your expectations and supersedes them in almost every way. If you have a Switch (or are yet to get one), it's simply essential.

EGM: 100
A mix of the nostalgic, the fantastical, and the wonderfully bizarre, Mario's latest adventure provides more than a dozen tantalizing playgrounds to explore. With hundreds of collectibles, Kingdoms full of delightful details, and secrets waiting around every corner, Super Mario Odyssey is bound to keep players exploring long after the credits roll.

God is a Geek: 100
Platforming perfection, full stop.

Game Informer: 98
Quibbles aside, Super Mario Odyssey is an absolute delight, and another Switch release that will have Nintendo fans debating which 3D Mario game is the best of them all. I still hang my hat on Super Mario Galaxy as the pinnacle of the series, but Odyssey and its wealth of gameplay styles and moons make it a close second.

AusGamers: 98
Super Mario Odyssey isn't just the best platformer to come around in years, it's also one of the most essential releases of the year. Period. A showcase for Nintendo's development talent and Mario as an iconic character that can still deliver surprising and transformative experiences even after all these years. It's a game that not for a second lags or starts to feel like more of the same. It rewards players in ways that we rarely get to see, and even when it's over it begins anew and invites you to keep exploring, keep discovering, and keep reaching for the moon.

XGN: 97
Super Mario Odyssey is Mario's return to the 3D platform collecthaton gameplay. Exploring the game worlds and collecting countless Power Moons are its main objectives, while the game stays fresh by introducing all kindS of new creative ways to do so

Everyeye.it: 97
Super Mario Odyssey is the rightful heir of Super Mario 64. It is a platform game full of surprises, secrets and wonderful levels. Original and astonishing, Super Mario Odyssey is a journey which will impress you the way only masterpieces can do.

IGN Spain: 97
One of those games that you have to play without doubt. Fun, deep, full of secrets and beautiful. Nintendo has done it again, and now we all love Mario in every possible form.

Stevivor: 95
With Super Mario Odyssey, Nintendo proves the 3D sandbox platformer is not only alive and well, but that it can continue to be evolved and surprise us, consume us and astonish us in clever and elegant ways.

Destructoid: 95
Nintendo's streak of quality still remains unbroken with Super Mario Odyssey.

IGN Italia: 95
There are so many new elements in Super Mario Odyssey, but in the end what actually strikes us is its ability to be fun in the usual elegant, essential and inevitable Mario way. If you want to run, jump, discover, fly… and keep on doing these (and more) things for hours and hours, Super Mario Odyssey is the game for you.

Post Arcade (National Post): 95
Super Mario Odyssey is an absolute delight that will remind you why you started playing games in the first place.

Eurogamer Italy: 90
In the first appearance of Super Mario on Switch, Nintendo revives all its 3D games of the past in one unmissable title.

VideoGamer: 100
It's extraordinary, really, that after all this time a new Mario game can feel as fresh as any that preceded it. Cappy is a revelation, exploring Kingdoms is bliss, and Super Mario Odyssey is a masterpiece.

Game Revolution: 100
While I may be far removed from the days spent playing Super Mario World as a kid, completing it for the umpteenth time and still finding new secrets with each playthrough, experiencing Super Mario Odyssey transported me back to that same sense of wonder I felt when I first discovered the Star World, or when I used my cape to accidentally stumble upon a secret key that opened up a brand new level. Nintendo has delivered everything I could want in a Mario game, before adding things that I didn't even know I wanted. The end result of their efforts is a true modern masterpiece.

USgamer: 100
Super Mario Odyssey honors much of what makes other 3D Mario games great, plus it adds plenty of its own flavor to the Mario stew thanks to its capture mechanic. Mario Odyssey can keep you busy for hours and hours if you want it to, and you probably will. Outside of a few instances where the camera took on a mind of its own, I can't think of a moment when I wasn't enjoying myself while journeying with Mario and Cappy.

IBTimes UK: 100
Nintendo proves once again why it is the very best at what it does, with the Super Mario game players have waited 15 years for. Rooted in an wonderfully absurd design idea, Odyssey is a glorious and jubilant adventure for all that, like its plump hero, revels in the freedom to explore, experiment and play.

TrueGaming: 100
Super Mario Odyssey is one of the best experiences this year with its great gameplay and huge amount of content with a lot of different ideas. Definitely will be one of the games nominated for game of the year.

Areajugones: 100
Super Mario Odyssey is without a doubt one of the best games of recent years and probably of the franchise. Great gameplay mechanics, an outstanding number of worlds and amazing graphics are the ingredients of this masterpiece.

Giant Bomb: 100
Each kingdom is absolutely packed with charm, clever objectives, gorgeous visuals, a stellar soundtrack, and a huge variety of ways to have fun. One moon would have me leaping across tiny platforms with pinpoint precision, and the next would have me cheering up a businessman by dressing like a clown. At no point did I feel like I was checking boxes just to up my completion percentage. Even now that I've collected every moon and purple coin in the game, I still want to play more of it. It's one of the most joyous and entertaining gaming experiences I've had in a long time, and it stands tall among the all-time great Mario games.

VideoGamer: 100
It's extraordinary, really, that after all this time a new Mario game can feel as fresh as any that preceded it. Cappy is a revelation, exploring Kingdoms is bliss, and Super Mario Odyssey is a masterpiece.

3DJuegos: 100
Mario jumps 30 years in time, and it's one of the biggest jumps ever made, not only in the Super Mario franchise, but in the history of Nintendo. Odyssey is evolution, talent and a non-stop enjoyment. A game that marks a new hit in the platforms game genre and that justifies going to the shop to buy a Nintendo Switch.

Pocket Gamer UK: 100
Wild, Weird, and packed full of imagination, Super Mario Odyssey is the first platform exclusive that every Switch owner needs to own.

IBTimes UK: 100
Nintendo proves once again why it is the very best at what it does, with the Super Mario game players have waited 15 years for. Rooted in an wonderfully absurd design idea, Odyssey is a glorious and jubilant adventure for all that, like its plump hero, revels in the freedom to explore, experiment and play.

TrueGaming: 100
Super Mario Odyssey is one of the best experiences this year with its great gameplay and huge amount of content with a lot of different ideas. Definitely will be one of the games nominated for game of the year.

The Games Machine: 97
Super Mario Odyssey is a true expression of joy: a vibrant explosion of colours, surprises, wonderful design and excellent gameplay. It's a perfect match between the past and the future: it makes you feel immediately at home, yet at the same time it's a constant offering of something new and exciting. If you were looking for an excuse to buy a Nintendo Switch, well, look no further.

Wccftech: 97
Super Mario Odyssey is the best 3D Mario game. This is the Mario game I've been wanting for for so long, and I'm going straight for 100% completion.

GameOver.gr: 95
An immersive gaming experience that will have you travelling through a plethora of kingdoms, with many secrets to discover and many opportunities to experience the unique features of the console. A game that is sure to make Miyamoto-san proud of the newer teams working on the Super Mario Universe.

GamePro Germany: 95
Video game magic... Nintendo has created a modern classic.

Power Unlimited: 95
Super Mario Odyssey is an absolute must-have for everyone who has enjoyed a Mario game in the past. It's a celebration of the franchise, with all its wacky adventures and beautiful moments you have experienced with it, including all of Mario's odd jobs, his 2D- and 3D adventures and much more.

SpazioGames: 95
Mario Odyssey is an incredible game: is the infinite possibilities that a simple cap and some fantasy can bring to the evergreen Nintendo World.

Multiplayer.it: 94
Super Mario Odyssey takes something from every past 3D Mario, trying to improve it. When it succeeds, and it doesn't happen every time, Odyssey is, clear and simple, the best platform 3D ever made.

The Daily Dot: 90
With hundreds of Power Moons to collect, an entire wardrobe of outfits that span Mario's storied history, and no shortage of Easter eggs to uncover, Super Mario Odyssey is one of the most complete packages Nintendo has ever offered.

NomComms: 100
It's really something quite special.

Last edited:

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to dive into these reviews. Hoping they don't contain spoilers though.

I'm guessing 96 MC

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
My body is Reggie, etcetEra.

I've already forewarned my wife that she'll be a Mario widow this weekend. That said, she's loved what she's seen of the game so far and even sings along to the advert when it comes on.

Regardless of whether this gets 10s, 9s, 8s or even 7s, I can't wait to jump in as it's as close to a sure-thing in terms of a game I know I'm going to enjoy.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know that 9 on the Famitsu was just a guy being a dick too to break up the score lol

AAMARMO

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a reviewer but I have gotten the game 2 days early and I can say that 3D Mario is back.

Its more Mario 64 with some Galaxy features than Sunshine.