• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CosmicGinger

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how Mario 64 controls are considered the pinnacle by some. Mario controls like a tank in that game and doesn't feel as nimble as the galaxy games to me.

ec0ec0

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like people are being blinded by nostalgia when they talk about 64's controls.

lmao (yeah, sorry, but this comment doesn't deserve any bettet)

here's the 64's 120 star world record speedrun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7OrViRAsjI

here's another runner with basically the same time in case the commentary by the first one bothers you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNXvwir8oK4

and here's a 70 star race (way shorter, if that's what you prefer) between the two runners from before plus another two (4 man race):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie_Z9QBvaEs

any of those is super fun to what. After that, try watching a super mario Galaxy speedrun and you will see the difference between what mario could do in 64 vs Galaxy.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
This dude said it's got the best post game since Gold and Silver.

Yall I'm trying to get outta debt here lmfao I might have to buy this Switch early lmao.

BaShaBeSho

Oct 26, 2017
Kuwait
giphy.gif

Oct 26, 2017
to show how flexibe and fast mario moveset was in mario 64 vs how limited and slow it was in comparison in other mario games like Galaxy? what a 64 speedrun then a Galaxy one
But most of us don't play games like that so it's kind of pointless to even bring it up. Personally, I like 64's controls fine enough and he's definitely the most athletic and nimble Mario to date but he's also the most slippery and 64 in general has some jank that can be kind of annoying, like when you land on the edge of a platform and you enter this weird limbo where you aren't sure if he'll fall or not. Galaxy's is almost tank like but his overall movement is tight so it does come down to personal preference. I personally just want a little bit of each

ec0ec0

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand how Mario 64 controls are considered the pinnacle by some. Mario controls like a tank in that game and doesn't feel as nimble as the galaxy games to me.

the thing that sets 64/sunshine appart from the following mario games the most was the dive (the "b" button). That move wasn't even present in galaxy. They could have changed how it felt to move mario in odyssey (how mario responded when moving the analog stick, which the obviously did change), but kept 64's dive in odyssey, which was a big part of what made mario so fun to control in a 3d space to some of us.

When people refer to 64's controls, mario's moveset is included into that (we aren't simpy talking about how mario responded when moving the analog stick) and his moveset was very different after 64/sunshine (again, because of the absence of the dive).

Last edited:

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
There are only two things I don't like about the controls so far:

- you can't grab a ledge from a long jump. I've been compulsively long-jumping everywhere since Mario 64 and it sucks to forget you can't grab a ledge and end up bouncing off and falling to your death. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong?

- The hat spin move motion is finnicky sometimes, and that sucks because the move helps so much against crowds of small enemies, which are the most dangerous in the game for me so far. But I learned you can just spin the analog stick and press Y, which sounds much easier.

Stormkyleis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
no nostalgia friend, here watch a speedrun:

https://go.twitch.tv/clintstevens
I'm not sure how a speed run would change how I feel about the way the game controls. I literally played 64 two days ago and then played the Galaxy games after. As well as playing the Odyssey demo.
It's the variety and versatility of Mario's moveset that makes the controls great. They can be janky at times, they aged poorly, but no other Mario game gives you so much freedom of movement. (Not counting Odyssey which I haven't played in-depth)

For instance, the mid-air kick is useful to attack airborn enemies and to adjust the aim of your jumps. The dive is useful to attack enemies on the ground and to go faster and to reach distant platforms. There are many different options and they all have multiple purposes.

They fit the explorative style very well because you can reach the goals in different ways, and speedruns are a great example of this.

Mike Double U

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I can't quite understand what this commenter is saying but I can tell that he's maed.
Jozue Martinz said:
100/100 ------- PonyLand
88/100 --------- Fifa 18
75/100 --------- ¿Super Mario Odyssey?

¡PORFAVOR! ¿Que clase de criterio tiene esta pagina de mierda que inclusive esta dentro de Metacritic? Se muy bien que lo hicieron para llamar la atencion, porque la pagina es tan basura que se trababa constantemente, pero venga, ¿Ganar popularidad asi vale la pena?

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
lmao (yeah, sorry, but this comment doesn't deserve any bettet)

here's the 64's 120 star world record speedrun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7OrViRAsjI

here's another runner with basically the same time in case the commentary by the first one bothers you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNXvwir8oK4

and here's a 70 star race (way shorter, if that's what you prefer) between the two runners from before plus another two (4 man race):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie_Z9QBvaEs

any of those is super fun to what. After that, try watching a super mario Galaxy speedrun and you will see the difference between what mario could do in 64 vs Galaxy.

More moves do not mean the controls are better. Yes, Mario can do more in 64.

I think Galaxy and Odyssey feels better, however.

ec0ec0

Oct 26, 2017
But most of us don't play games like that so it's kind of pointless to even bring it up

No, it's absolutelly not pointless to bring it up because, even if no one is going to take it to the extreme that a speedrunner is, it's something that's going to have a very significant impact on the experience the player is going to have with the game, as long as it is something the player cares about.

Like come one dude, in 64, the dive was asigned to one of the only two buttons you had for your thumb: "a" for jump, "b" to dive. It was in a very prominet place, and it could be used for a lot of stuff. It could be used on the ground as your fastest way of movement, it could be used in mid air to alter the arc of your jump, if you pressed "a" + "b" together mario would do a jump dive (a jump canceled into a dive), and you could cancel each of your jumps with the dive for different results (do the inputs for the jump but, intead of pressing just "a" at the end, press "a" + "b").

Had the dive not been in the game (it wasn't present in Galaxy, for example) it would have had a very significant impact on the game (it would have the least effect for a complete casual, as he would have been the type of player to use the dive the least, while a more experienced player would have felt its absence much more).

Why do you think that mario, in super mario sunshine, has such an insane moveset? It's there for the player to experience with it in the massive levels the game had and have fun with it. In fact, i've read plenty of comments in GAF of peolpe saying that they had spent hours simply jumping from one place to another in sunshine's hub world sandbox style (and no, you don't have to take it to that extreme either for it to affect your experience with the game).

Odyssey seemed like the appropiate game to bring 64's dive back (as it shares the open level desing) to give mario as many movement options as posible (not saying that he doesn't have plenty already). Thas's why some of us were lamenting it's absesnce.

Last edited:

ec0ec0

Oct 26, 2017
More moves do not mean the controls are better. Yes, Mario can do more in 64.

quoting myself:

the thing that sets 64/sunshine appart from the following mario games the most was the dive (the "b" button). That move wasn't even present in galaxy. They could have changed how it felt to move mario in odyssey (how mario responded when moving the analog stick, which they obviously did change), but kept 64's dive in odyssey, which was a big part of what made mario so fun to control in a 3d space to some of us.

When people refer to 64's controls, mario's moveset is included into that (we aren't simpy talking about how mario responded when moving the analog stick) and his moveset was very different after 64/sunshine (again, because of the absence of the dive).

Like, come on now. You can have mario to feel as good as you like, then add the dive (more movement options) on top of it. It feels as if some of you are being obtuse on purpose

Last edited:

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Was reading a Taiwanese preview of the game yesterday, and they had a whole section about shirtless Mario titled "Uncle's Nipples."

ec0ec0

Oct 26, 2017
It's not really about the number, it's more about the uses they have within the game and the overall feel. I agree that the controls are far more polished and less buggy in every game after 64.

which doesn't necesarily mean that the mechanics (the dive) that were introduced in 64 can't come back. You can have the game feel amazing by the new standars set by odyssey, yet still have the movement options present in 64. But that fact seems to e eluding some users.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
My little brother is just counting the minutes now in Facebook chat.

Wish I had a Switch myself. But I think The combo of Mario, Zelda, Skyrim, Doom, and Splatoon mean I have to buy it soon.

That's one hell of a handheld lineup for me.

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
About to play Odyssey, super keen.

Re meta discussion and most 10s BoTW was holding 98 until a man called Jim showed up

It was 98 after 50+ reviews IIRC

tough to beat

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Damn. Can't imagine anything ever replacing Galaxy 2 as my favourite game of all-time... especially considering I prefer a linear structure for platformers. Feel like this game will be the one exception because everything I've seen so far of this game has just been crazy.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
quoting myself:

Like, come on now. You can have mario to feel as good as you like, then add the dive (more movement options) on top of it. It feels as if some of you are being obtuse on purpose

The dive isn't needed in Galaxy. It is not as "open" as Mario 64 so the controls don't need to be the same. It still has the long jump and the backflip, which are likely the two most important aspects of 3D Mario movement.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So far on world 3 (first hour I think). Not as enjoying it as much as I thought I would, but it's probably because I'm really early on?

ec0ec0

Oct 26, 2017
The dive isn't needed in Galaxy. It is not as "open" as Mario 64 so the controls don't need to be the same. It still has the long jump and the backflip, which are likely the two most important aspects of 3D Mario movement.

are you being obtuse on purpose?

my comment mentioned that the dive wasn't in Galaxy well, because it wasn't, but the rest of what i said in the comment was, like every comment in the thread as this is a mario odyssey thread, about odyssey. No one was asking for 64's dive to be in Galaxy. In fact, why would i be talking about that, when this is an odyssey thread? If anyone is arguing about bringing back any past mechanics in this thread, he/she is obviously refering to bringing it to odyssey, which is the game that the thread is about.

I was saying that they could have changed how mario felt to control in odyssey compared to 64 (which they obviously did, as no one expects that to remain as it was in 1996), but that they could have also kept 64's dive in odyssey.

It's crystal clear what am saying if you read more than just one of my comments.

quoting myself from this very page:

[...]

Why do you think that mario, in super mario sunshine, has such an insane moveset? It's there for the player to experience with it in the massive levels the game had and have fun with it.

Odyssey seemed like the appropiate game to bring 64's dive back (as it shares the open level desing) to give mario as many movement options as posible (not saying that he doesn't have plenty already). Thas's why some of us were lamenting it's absesnce.

quoting myself, again, from this very page:

I agree that the controls are far more polished and less buggy in every game after 64.

which doesn't necesarily mean that the mechanics (the dive) that were introduced in 64 can't come back. You can have the game feel amazing by the new standars set by odyssey in 2017, yet still have, in odyssey, the movement options present in 64. But that fact seems to be eluding some users (ie. you).

also, going back to this coment you made:

Yes, Mario can do more in 64.

why should mario be able to do more in 64 than in odyssey? Odyssey brought back the big open levels, so it seemed appropiate to bring back mario's ninja like abilities to their full extent, as they were in 64/sunshine.

I already commented on the fact that, in odyssey, there seems to be a lot more mechanics on the levels to help you quickly traverse the levels, but that doesn't mean that mario couldn't have his 64 movement back, though?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's here. I'm finally playing it by it's amazing how much new shit pops up. I go back to explore something and there's already a new object to interact with.

I constantly feel like I'm being rewarded for my curiosity and that's fantastic.

I'm only on the second stage and there's new NPCs, bonus stages, etc; whenever I check some nook and where I missed something.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Trying not to get caught up by excitement about this game cause I don't yet have a Switch, but its impossible. It looks like so much fun. Those reviews are amazing.