• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
We have already seen the first week sales result for Japan, but both NoA and NoE are confirming this now via Twitter:

Update: from the press release from NoA

REDMOND, Wash., Nov. 2, 2017 – In just five days, the new Super Mario Odyssey video game for the Nintendo Switch system sold more than 1.1 million units in the U.S. alone. That makes it the fastest-selling Super Mario game ever in the U.S., surpassing the New Super Mario Bros. Wii game. Super Mario Odyssey is also the fastest-selling game so far for Nintendo Switch.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
This is obviously thanks to how great and catchy Jump Up, Super Star! is.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
4f9.gif

Link-182

Oct 27, 2017
GOOD. It was the greatest Mario yet imo. Let's see more 3d Mario titles in the future, Nintendo!

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, guess that answers my question from another thread.

Here's hoping it has some good legs then.

OP
OP
KingSnake

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The wording in those tweets suggest that the comparison include also the Super Mario 2d games.

Eirwaz

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Hopefully this encourages nintendo to be less conservative when it comes to the development of their tentpole properties.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, better than any 2D entry is huge too. I doubt it can outsell NSMB Wii lifetime but that'll be interesting to watch.

Same PR states 2.6m Switch sold to USA alone

It was supposedly "over 2 million" as of the end of September, so I guess the cap for October is 600k.

The wording in those tweets suggest that the comparison include also the Super Mario 2d games.

The PR mentions it outsold NSMB Wii, so yeah.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Simply incredible. Gonna be a monster all throughout the holidays

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell. New Super Mario Bros. Wii? The game that sold like 28 million copies? What a fantastic start then because that game was hyped as hell.

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Fully deserved, the game is pure joy and a blast to play, I cannot stop smiling while playing it

Congrats to Nintendo for such a huge success!

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Between the critical reception and the sales I guess this means Mario 64 style is here to stay...

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well deserved. Amazing game and my personal GOTY.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully this encourages nintendo to be less conservative when it comes to the development of their tentpole properties.

Nintendo haven't been conservative in most cases regarding Mario and Zelda in particular, going back to the follow ups to the iconic N64 games in those series being something no one would've predicted when the legacy and impact of those titles would've easily allowed for a quick and dirty sequel. And that's carried on to the present day with 3D World to Odyssey and Skyward Sword to BoTW being quite dramatic changes.

On topic: well deserved, well done OMG all that good stuff.