• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, if Wii U had been a success, we'd probably be seeing its successor by the end of this year, giving Wii U a 6 year lifecycle. Its failure cut less than two years from its life. Nintendo likely would have saved the next big Mario game for the successor to Wii U or they would have gone the Galaxy 2 route and created a direct follow-up to 3D World. A game like Odyssey doesn't serve Nintendo very well on Wii U in 2017, even if it's a big success.

Might be off topic in a way, but I hope Nintendo keeps pumping out new i.p. like that. Splatoon 2 is the biggest reason I ordered a Switch(can't wait for it to get here). Mario, Zelda, MK, Smash, etc. will always be safe bets. Splatoon came out of left field imo.
Yo guys, this is a bit confusing

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This pretty much proves Retro's game probably started off for Switch too. Their game is probably going to be HUGE!

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man thats really crummy.

At least Wii U failed for the Switch to succeed. Sucks being a Wii U owner and not getting any form of compensation or benefits switching over.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Man thats really crummy.

At least Wii U failed for the Switch to succeed. Sucks being a Wii U owner and not getting any form of compensation or benefits switching over.
As a Wii U owner, I was perfectly satisfied. It had some great games and I caught up on tons of classics through VC and BC.

Wii U owners aren't entitled to anything.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have never loathed a console and regretted owning one as much as I did the Wii U, but I don't really hold Nintendo accountable for that, I bought it knowing what I was getting into. In the end, I got Smash, Kart, Mario Maker, Splatoon, and 3D World out of it, plus Bayo2 and the Zelda remasters were cool, so whatever, I'm not complaining.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm playing Bayonetta 2 on Switch right now and remembering that being a Wii U owner wasn't all bad.

But I still hated it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm playing Bayonetta 2 on Switch right now and remembering that being a Wii U owner wasn't all bad.

But I still hated it.
It's the hardware. It was so unpleasant using something that cheap and flimsy with a OS that bad. It had some good games, but I am glad they're being brought over to the Switch, they deserve better than Wii U.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man thats really crummy.

It happens. Products flop and companies distance themselves to recover. Look at Apple when Jobs came back. Newton fans didn't receive anything just because they made more successful products since then.

Deleted member 26684

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The problem is that "we planned it for this platform" doesn't really mean anything. It wouldn't have meant anything if they said "we planned this for Wii U" either. The reason is because of the context behind "developing Super Mario Odyssey for the Switch". One, the next Mario game is always in major development in some way. Two, there's the whole problem of the Wii U not doing very well and Nintendo hauling ass to make the next thing. If the Wii U was more successful, there's no other reason preventing Odyssey from being released on it. It probably wouldn't have been the same game, but it absolutely would have been the same project.

Authoritative statements like this are interesting, but end up meaning little because they ask the reader to ignore context. Unfortunately, many people do just that, so these statements gain far more power... especially when we're talking about something that many people consider a flop and are always looking for the next big "proof" of it to throw on their list. This is the textbook definition of confirmation bias.

Last edited:

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly didn't know this was a common thought. No way Nintendo would have thought to break the "one 3D Mario per system" pattern with the Wii U of all consoles. But I think there's a good chance the Switch might.

EDIT: Well, Galaxy 2 but, yeah, thats a direct sequel. :P

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A 3D Donkey Kong with Uncharted levels of spectacle would be pretty ace. Doesn't have to be as open as Odyssey is.

Oct 26, 2017
Reported for heresy

It's the hardware. It was so unpleasant using something that cheap and flimsy with a OS that bad. It had some good games, but I am glad they're being brought over to the Switch, they deserve better than Wii U.
Oh come on, with the Quick Start Menu, you rarely had to deal with the OS. Honestly, that easily made it my preferred system for using apps like Netflix or the genuinely great Internet Browser

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reported for heresy

Oh come on, with the Quick Start Menu, you rarely had to deal with the OS. Honestly, that easily made it my preferred system for using apps like Netflix or the genuinely great Internet Browser
Reported for... reporting me?

The Quick Start still didn't save me from the OS. It didn't save me from the splash screens. It didn't save me from the long loading times for Miiverse and the browser and eShop. And oh god, every time I had to use Settings, I cried.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Another 'no brainer' theory debunked?

Given how the game was performance wise, it felt really well tuned to the Switch. I'm amazed people even speculated it was ever a Wii U game at all. Maybe the Runner version of the game people speculated about was for Wii U :o)

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
To be fair, i don't really remember the game using the joycons that much. Aside from the "Throw Mario's cap by flicking the right Joycon!" thing. It'd probably would've worked just fine on Wii U with a few graphical downgrades.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
With the way the controls favor the detached Joycons so much, I believe it.

To be fair, i don't really remember the game using the joycons that much. Aside from the "Throw Mario's cap by flicking the right Joycon!" thing. It'd probably would've worked just fine on Wii U with a few graphical downgrades.
There is some crazy stuff you can do by swinging those things around. Every time I run into a circle of flowers in handheld mode I cry that I can`t do a 360 Capthrow

Oct 26, 2017
I feel the quick start feature was too little, too late. But yeah, it was a good addition.
If you bought the Wii U early on, yeah, I can imagine. I bought mine in 2014 so a lot of the Wii U's notable exclusives had already come out or were coming out and the system had received a fair amount of improvement in its OS speed and, of course, the Quick Start Menu (or was that later on?)

Reported for... reporting me?

The Quick Start still didn't save me from the OS. It didn't save me from the splash screens. It didn't save me from the long loading times for Miiverse and the browser and eShop. And oh god, every time I had to use Settings, I cried.
Report-ception

Don't lie to me, Phantom, deep down, you truly loved the long loading times >:(

For real though, when it comes to the Settings, I feel you. The fact that you need a GamePad for that was criminal. But I personally never found the load times truly intolerable

Another 'no brainer' theory debunked?

Given how the game was performance wise, it felt really well tuned to the Switch. I'm amazed people even speculated it was ever a Wii U game at all. Maybe the Runner version of the game people speculated about was for Wii U :o)
I personally never understood that because, by the time the game Nintendo would have likely started working on the game, the Wii U was already a known flop. It'd be weird to make a new large 3D Mario for it as opposed to their successor that was meant to reverse their fortunes

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Huh, I wonder how the GamePad would've been used in Mario+Rabbids. Touch controls for battles, maybe? Would've made them a bit more robust, potentially.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Man thats really crummy.

We got to play all of these great games before the inferior masses did! Mwahaha! *drinks from wine glass with absurdly large mouth and holds pinky up while doing so*

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
January, 2013 was NCL's big chance to save the system (Wii U Nintendo Direct) and it failed. This isn't remotely surprising to me. Nintendo probably stopped greenlighting major Wii U projects in the middle of 2013, outside of small/mid-tier stuff like Star Fox Zero and Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival.

Wii U never had a chance, no Direct could've saved that damn thing.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
I think Odyssey and Splatoon 2 were always Switch games. By the time they started development on both it was clear the Week was dead.

BotW was a different situation because of how long it had been in development.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it, as it would have likely been a different game . Odyssey was designed to be a killer app for a new console and a reaction to 3D World's reception (it did well, but was a huge decline compared to previous 3D entries). If Wii U had been a success and it had actually seen a second 3D Mario game, it likely would have been something akin to a 3D World 2.
I still want a third 3D game. They're both better than Odyssey for me

Oct 25, 2017
Man thats really crummy.

Nintendo put out 2 original 3D Mario games last generation. Then the 3D Mario team put out Captain Toad. Not sure why anyone would've expected the Mario team to spend 3 years after captain toad making a new Mario for Wii U after its fate was sealed in 2014

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Naw, not for Mario. Again, Koizumi was heading development of Odyssey and Switch, I am sure he had enough insight into what the Switch was to be able to target that platform.

I don't think he has anything to do with the development of the game other than requesting the team to use Switch features. the head of the team was Kenta Motokura, and if I'm not mistaken, it was stated in Edge magazine that he requested consultation from Miyamoto in how to apply the concept of the game.