• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

details revealed in a Nintendo UK blog post by Takuhiro Dohta, the technical director for botw.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/201...-works-in-VR-with-Nintendo-Labo--1547803.html

this mode has optional head-tracking
The controls and overall game content are the same as normal, but you'll be able to get a new perspective on Hyrule. And as you look around with the VR Goggles, the in-game camera will move accordingly.

If you're not a fan of the motion-controlled camera, you can turn it off by adjusting the Aim with motion controls setting under Options, and enjoy the VR experience that way instead. Even with the motion-controlled camera turned off, I hope this new experience is enough of a twist to give players a reason to try the VR visuals out.

seems like they are more intending you to occasionally use the VR mode when you see something cool, rather than play the whole game that way.
The controls and overall game content are the same as normal, but you'll be able to get a new perspective on Hyrule. And as you look around with the VR Goggles, the in-game camera will move accordingly.

It's possible to switch the display method at any point in your adventure. We recommend taking a look through the VR Goggles when there's something interesting to see, like a location with a great view, a favourite character, or a favourite piece of equipment.

The idea for this started when the Nintendo Labo development team gave us a demonstration of the VR Goggles for the first time. The experience was quite a surprise, and I started thinking that maybe we'd be able to do something with them in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. First, we thought about lots of different things; locations that would be nice to see in VR, enemies that would be fun to fight… In the end, The Legend of Zelda development team reached the conclusion that, rather than change the game, we should let you play it as it is, and instead just make it so that you can use the VR Goggles to see whatever parts you want.
[...]
One of the core goals during development for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was to make it a "multiplicative gameplay" experience, in which players could find their own fun and find their own ways to play. The nature of Nintendo Switch multiplies the fun further by giving you the freedom to play wherever and whenever you like. I hope that by creating yet one more new way to play, with the VR Goggles, the fun can multiply again!

ci_news_thelegendofzebrk1v.jpg

ci_news_thelegendofzecojlk.jpg

ci_news_thelegendofzelqjk9.jpg

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
If anything can get me to buy VR, it's this sort of thing. I hope this Labo kit finds its audience.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
By the way, you can play this video in the Switch's YouTube app, then slot it in to the Labo VR to at least see how the 3D effect and resolution will look.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Almost sounds like he sees it as a sort of VR Screenshot system, rather than a fully immersive gameplay mechanism. Which seems like a great way to let people dip their toes into VR.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Almost sounds like he sees it as a sort of VR Screenshot system, rather than a fully immersive gameplay mechanism. Which seems like a great way to let people dip their toes into VR.
yeah that's the feeling i get, they just want you to try the game in VR when you see something cool, not to play it for hours (which would be beyond exhausting considering the control method)

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
So you have to actually hold the thing up to your head while using the joycons attached to the switch? I

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
yeah it's clear that they wouldn't want people to play the game the whole way though in this mode, any one who does is crazy

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does not seem very comfortable at all?!
yeah, it doesn't look to be comfortable for long periods of time, but i think that's kinda intended cuz they don't want you to play for hours anyway, the updates to botw and odyssey seem like stuff you would try for 1 few minutes and move on too. the VR is obviously not good enough like PSVR or oculus and probably isn't suitable for kids to experience it long uninterrupted periods too.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
yeah that's the feeling i get, they just want you to try the game in VR when you see something cool, not to play it for hours (which would be beyond exhausting considering the control method)
*Finds something cool*
*Headset on*
*Headset off*
*Find something cool 5 minutes later*
*Headset on*
*Headset off*
*Find something cool a minute later*

Eh...

Oct 25, 2017
So I just tried the cross eye method on those screens and they look... uh wrong. The background appears in the foreground. Did they get the sides mixed up or something?

Edit: Answered below.

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
So I just tried the cross eye method on those screens and they look... uh wrong. The background appears in the foreground. Did they get the sides mixed up or something?

There's two ways you can stereoview two images side-by-side; divergent and convergent. If you use the wrong one, depth would be inverted from what you'd expect. Loosely speaking, convergent is focussing on a point in *front* of the image; divergent is focussing on one *behind*. With divergent viewing the left eye views left, right eye views right; with convergent, the left eye is crossing over to view the right and vice-versa.

Divergent - for me, at least - is the more comfortable, I have to strain a bit for convergent viewing (depends a bit on image size in many cases). Divergent is used in Magic Eye branded stereograms, although a number of other sterograms would use convergent instead.

Edit: Ah, the Wikipedia page on Autostereograms has a useful image:

hiUH6QA.png

Last edited:

Cheeky Devlin

Oct 31, 2017
On one hand though, as the Yuzu emulator improves I see no reason why you couldn't play the full game through on either Oculus, Vive or any other of HMDs. THAT will be something wonderful.

Oct 25, 2017
There's two ways you can stereoview two images side-by-side; divergent and convergent. If you use the wrong one, depth would be inverted from what you'd expect. Loosely speaking, convergent is focussing on a point in *front* of the image; divergent is focussing on one *behind*. With divergent viewing the left eye views left, right eye views right; with convergent, the left eye is crossing over to view the right and vice-versa.

Divergent - for me, at least - is the more comfortable, I have to strain a bit for convergent viewing (depends a bit on image size in many cases). Divergent is used in Magic Eye branded stereograms, although a number of other sterograms would use convergent instead.

Edit: Ah, the Wikipedia page on Autostereograms has a useful image:

hiUH6QA.png

Aah, I see. That's interesting. I always knew the trick to those magic eye puzzles was to focus "behind the image", but I haven't encountered any stereograms of a scene that also use this method. I guess at least if I had I must have thought they just didn't make it correctly, haha.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Aah, I see. That's interesting. I always knew the trick to those magic eye puzzles was to focus "behind the image", but I haven't encountered any stereograms of a scene that also use this method. I guess at least if I had I must have thought they just didn't make it correctly, haha.

I know this quite well because for a long time when I was trying to learn Magic Eye I'd be doing it the convergent way - because that was how I *understood* how to move my eyes - and be getting the wrong image as a result (and having to strain, and not being able to sustain it). When I got the knack of doing it the other way (which now I can do fully instinctively) it came so much more naturally (and made a much more impressive image!

It's also a really really useful skill for spot-the-difference puzzles.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
It would've been nice if there was a first person option.

Using gyro with a camera that rotates around the center of link seems like it would be awkward to me.

Mario Odyssey's new content can be played without the LABO goggles
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
some people were concerned about the new content being available for people without labo VR and it seems like they are.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/04/...-someone-doesnt-own-the-nintendo-labo-vr-kit/
On April 25, 2019, the Super Mario Odyssey VR update is arriving that will allow people to use the Nintendo Labo Toy-Con04: VR Kit with the game. However, it turns out you don't need the VR goggles to enjoy the new experience being added to it. VR will be optional, just like it is with the VR-compatible Theater Mode being included in this update.

The news was announced via the Japanese Super Mario Odyssey Twitter account. It shows the screen leading into the VR mode. It notes that it can be played without the Nintendo Labo VR goggles, but also says people who do have it and enable VR can enjoy 360° views.

In the Super Mario Odyssey VR experiences, players help Mario collect musical notes in the Cap, Luncheon, and Seaside Kingdoms. As they do, they get the ability to recruit various performers in each area for a band. When the whole band is brought together, players get to see a Metro Kingdom concert.