• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I know right away some people will bring up "online isn't the same as couch co-op". Not everyone has groups of friends that are all close by to play games. Like so many others, I have been waiting for classic mario party to come back for so long. Now it finally is back, but with local only, it's essentially worthless to me.

Minigame mode is the only online part, but that isn't mario party, that's just minigames in their own.

Last edited:

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Not a full-fledged online mode afaik, only some kind of small mini-game rush thing. And yes, I also want the full MP experience online. Got many friends that enjoy Mario Party, but we rarely have time to gather and play it locally.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It has online, but not the full board game portion, which is incredibly disappointing and cost them at least one sale. Two if you count the people that would have also bought it to play with/against me.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'd want to go through a 1-2 hour game of Mario party online in standard fashion. A streamlined version had to be done for online. Don't know if this there right decision, but it definitely couldn't be a carbon copy of local.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yep. I won't be buying it.

The lack of an online board game mode for Mario Party in 2018 is inexcusable. There are absolutely ways that a talented developer can make long-play matches work with online. And they can also create smaller "short burst" games as another option if they put in the effort.

Those who think MP Online is a bad idea? That's fine, I understand it wouldn't be for everyone. But a ton of people would play it.

And if Nintendo expects me to pay for their online service, I expect every single one of their major retail multiplayer games to have online play. No exceptions.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
They said they would talk more about online later though. Seems very early to draw conclusions when the game has been shown once.

OP
OP
ClickyCal'

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'd want to go through a 1-2 hour game of Mario party online in standard fashion. A streamlined version had to be done for online. Don't know if this there right decision, but it definitely couldn't be a carbon copy of local.
What's the differebe between playing it for an hour with friends local vs online?

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
No full board game online is a killer. That changed it from day one to "eh...maybe one day?"

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason full online shouldn't be in the game. If you don't think it would be fun then don't play it. But it's becoming increasingly hard to get 3 of my friends + me in the same room to play a video game. Why can't I set up an online match?

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Minigames is all you need for online with MP really. It's a good compromise. Character and board interactions like stealing stars and other shennanigans have way less impact when you're not in the same room together.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deal breaker for me. I remember having fond memories of playing Mario Party and Mario Party 2 with my brother as a kid.. and maybe we could recreate that magic in 2018. But nope, just unbelievable that it isn't in the game especially when they are launching an online service this year.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Nowadays a party game without online is really, really hard to play with friends... I don't get it why they do this... :\
Another example is some Playlink games on Playstation, like Frantics & Knowledge is Power, that could have an internet play mode...

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
Minigame mode only. You can't play full boards online.

Hmm Would it work though how long do Mario Party games usually go on for? Usually about 20 minutes or so right?
For a turn based game it might not working especially with people dropping in and out of gameplay and such.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, has any other similar type of game attempted this? Is Monopoly for Switch Online?

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is still in the early PS2 era when it comes to online support. Its haphazard, barely functional, just barely unified. I don't understand what's holding them back.

OP
OP
ClickyCal'

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Minigames is all you need for online with MP really. It's a good compromise. Character and board interactions like stealing stars and other shennanigans have way less impact when you're not in the same room together.
Did you know there's this thing called discord where you can group chat? Also skype. Also smart phones, tablets, etc.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has online, though it's not the exact implementation you want.

Jan 11, 2018
One word: Expected.

In fact, the most surprising part is that it has any kind of online at all. I wasn't expecting Mario Party to get online support of any kind until 2094.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
There's almost 0 point to me buying this game now unless I want to play with my brother when i'm at home. I've played quite a lot monopoly (when it works) online with 2 other friends on Switch and that's been great.

That being said I do kinda get it, playing full party boards online isn't the same experience as when you're physically with others but it's 2018, surely you'd want to offer it as an option

Fanta

May 27, 2018
Mario Party with a full board online sounds like a recipe for disaster and would probably do more harm than good.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Game is literally perfect for online in full boards and Nintendo decides not to do it? Jesus christ absolute deal breaker for me.

EasyRoad

Oct 25, 2017
Do people seriously want to play the Mario Party board game online? I mean, think about it.

Waiting for your turn and for the minigame to start is already boring locally; the only advantage is the fact that everyone is in the same room. When you remove that, it becomes the complete opposite of fun.

Also, you can be sure that there will be many rage quitters and the CPU will have to fill their place, so you might as well remove the middleman and play the single player mode...

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Yep it hurts for sure. It's up there was the whole no traditional wild battles in the Pokemon games for me.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Locking Thread.

This seems like it's following the trend popping up of negative threads about console exclusives, and the game is also not out yet for several months.

Status
Not open for further replies.