• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo showcased Super Mario Party at Gamescom :

In short :

- 80 new minigames.
- this entry is back to "the roots of the franchise"
- Each character has a normal dice and a custom dice. For example, Bowser's custom dice is "-2 coins" x2 and "6" x4. So there is some strategy involved.
- They showed a new fruit-based board.
- Each board can be played on "free for all" or in "2vs2"

New co-op mode called "River Survival"
- You are all in a boat and against the river.
- All characters have a paddle and there is a timer. By heading into a ballon, you can play a co-op minigame. Depending on the time you take, you'll get a different amount of time that'll be added to the timer.
- The difficulty ramps up by introducing hazards like Cheep-cheeps that makes the river more dangerous.
- The key is cooperation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
While no online board game mode is a shame, this really does look like a return to form. The speciality dice is a fantastic idea.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
River survival looks awesome! It'll also be hilarious to do it as a group of bowsers underlings

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds great, and honestly is one of my most hyped games of the year. Call me casual, but my best friends and I have amazing memories of the series, even the later ones!
This and MegaMan 11, I cant wait!

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
I really cannot fathom no online.
I've been playing the old Mario Party games via netplay on emulators for ages. It's a blast with long distance friends.

Is it really that difficult to implement?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Still no real online though. Come the fuck on. People have been asking to play boards online since the Wii

AllBusinessJr

Oct 27, 2017
Just like the other thread concerning the voice chat app, this is Nintendo at its very worst. They just can't get out of their own way.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I seriously hope chance time is in this and stars are 20 coins. In the E3 demo stars were 10 coins. I can't watch the video right now, but will later.

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds great, and honestly is one of my most hyped games of the year. Call me casual, but my best friends and I have amazing memories of the series, even the later ones!

The game does look pretty great. I hope it really impresses and will finally be a return to form!

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
On the surface it seems like a return the the roots, but there are still quite a few things I'm not really fond of. Character-specific dice blocks means it actually matters which character you play. The coin distribution is also really strange, with players ranking 1-3 each winning something, and stars are now only 10 coins. This board also seems incredibly small. And where are the exciting items that shake things up, like the Magic Lamp and Boo Crystal Ball? It definitely seems like a huge step forward for the series, but not exactly where I want it to be yet.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Still no real online though. Come the fuck on. People have been asking to play boards online since the Wii

I would like online too but what if people start dropping when some really unlucky shenaningans happen to them?

I guess they can force people to not rage quit and have a computer join in when they do, but that's not quite the same.

And how many turns will the board go? 20 turns can last a good hour.

That said, if they can solve those things, I would be down for online.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I seriously hope chance time is in this and stars are 20 coins. In the E3 demo stars were 10 coins. I can't watch the video right now, but will later.
I mean dice are d6s instead of d10s and the boards are slightly smaller. 10 coins may just be the balance of this game

Also me and my sisters will have a blast with river survival

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There will never be online in Mario Party. You can all drop that subject now, forever.

Concerning these new infos, it seems cool altough I hoped that there would be another sort of 1v5 mode ala Bowser Party in MP10. That was pretty cool. It seems you can only do 1v1v1v1 or 2v2 in this one.
It seems to have a lot more new minigames than the previous one though. And that new mode sounds cool.

Oct 27, 2017
I would like online too but what if people start dropping when some real unlucky shenaningans happen to them?

I guess they can force people to not rage quit and have a computer join in when they do, but that's not quite the same.

And how many turns will the board go? 20 turns can last a good hour.

Then make it private only with friends on your friends list. Fact remains they included the game without its main component being online and they're now asking you to pay to play online. Nintendo is so far behind the curve with this its quite pathetic.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great but a little worried about the small size of the boards.

The mini games though all look fun and weirdly enough, gorgeous. The one where they have to fill and splash water is no joke some of the most beautiful Nintendo content ever.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Was going to say "looks great, can't wait to play," and then you guys went and reminded me of the neutered online experience. Looks like a great entry to the series. I'll probably skip it as usual.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or do the boards feel smaller than the previous Mario Party games? I was hoping for bigger boards.
the E3 board has 54 spaces according to someone on Reddit that counted and the average for 4/5/6 was around 60 iirc so it's probably that the board itself is just more condensed and not necessarily that it'll take less time to get through.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
I love Nintendo but man...I look at his game and can't help but feel frustrated at the lack of online. 5 mini games isn't enough. All of my friends have Switches. And we all live in the same county but are scattered/have kids/have shit to do. Our gaming together doesn't start til about 730-8p. This would be the perfect game for some shenanigans after Destiny or FIFA. I just don't get what's so hard about letting people play together online.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Same thing as me. Mario Party brings back so many memories. It'll be the first I'll buy in a looooong time.

Linkhero1

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
the E3 board has 54 spaces according to someone on Reddit that counted and the average for 4/5/6 was around 60 iirc so it's probably that the board itself is just more condensed and not necessarily that it'll take less time to get through.
That's great to hear. I'm still hoping for some larger boards. It would be nice to have a retro board or two.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Are people serious about not being online?

That's insane for 2018. Mario Party online with voice chat would sell stupidly crazily.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Compared to other mario party, how much is 80 mini games?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately all of that means nothing to me with no online. I'm not getting this to just play bots all the time.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

That's great to hear. I'm still hoping for some larger boards. It would be nice to have a retro board or two.
Remember that the regular dice are d6s instead of the classic d10 which means you're moving shorter distances too unless using an item or custom die
Compared to other mario party, how much is 80 mini games?
That's the average not including greatest hit's. Usually doesn't include side modes or variants(for example river survival has different rule versions of normal minigames, several seem to be retooled 1vs3 games)

FearMyWrench

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I think it might be more that the navigational layout of the new boards so far look quite basic, even if the number of spaces are similar. They are also very 'flat', whereas many of the classic boards had more of a height element to their design with multiple layers. The spacing between spaces seems to be smaller too maybe?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The river survival mode looks really interesting. I wasn't gonna pick this up (still might not) but I'm surprised I'm actually interested in a Mario Party game again, the last one I liked was Mario Party 3.

not_swift

May 2, 2018
The new co-op mode looks pretty fun btw. Rowing gives you something to do and choices to make while not doing minigames, and you can choose to do how much minigsames you want to do.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Blame rage quitters and the long amounts of time to play for why board games aren't online.

I'm really excited for this though. I've been waiting so long for Mario Party to go back to its roots. Haven't touched one since 8 and I hated that one.

Linkhero1

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I think it might be more that the navigational layout of the new boards so far look quite basic, even if the number of spaces are similar. They are also very 'flat', whereas many of the classic boards had more of a height element to their design with multiple layers. The spacing between spaces seems to be smaller too maybe?
This is probably it. I didn't even count the number of spaces but the boards definitely feel flat compared to previous entries.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
While no online board game mode is a shame, this really does look like a return to form. The speciality dice is a fantastic idea.

Custon dice is such a good idea it should have been added years ago :o

It actually was an idea years ago, they seem to have cribbed the system straight from Mario Party Star Rush on the 3DS. It was one of the more interesting ideas from the game so it's cool to see it back.

Oct 30, 2017
I was SO looking forward to playing the board game online, me and my wife vs my brother and his. But of course, for some unfathomable reason, this won't be possible. Like..what the fuck. I'll never understand some of these absurd decisions Nintendo makes. Like, how fucking difficult could it be?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Aw it seems like the characters will shove characters if they pass them and the shoved characters will stay out of the way. That''s an oddly adorable little detail.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a bad idea. Mario Party games are so long that we usually get bored halfway through and an online game should have quick matches. Plus rage quitters would be a big issue. Just having the mini-games which are quick and more engaging is probably the best compromise.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Custon dice is such a good idea it should have been added years ago :o

Mario Party 10 had special dice, unless you're referring to something else.

There will never be online in Mario Party. You can all drop that subject now, forever.

Concerning these new infos, it seems cool altough I hoped that there would be another sort of 1v5 mode ala Bowser Party in MP10. That was pretty cool. It seems you can only do 1v1v1v1 or 2v2 in this one.
It seems to have a lot more new minigames than the previous one though. And that new mode sounds cool.

Bowser Party mode was such a blast when we had groups of six for game nights because we're generally have four players on Wii Remotes and a pair of folks switching off Bowser duties.

Actually popped the game in last weekend and my sister, who does not play videogames whatsoever, go pretty into it, so that was cool.

Oct 28, 2017

???

If people keep complaining, there will certainly, without a shadow of a doubt be online in the next Mario Party. I for one plan to continue doing so (not on here, though). Reviews need to properly reflect that the game is missing an extremely important, modern feature.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
???

If people keep complaining, there will certainly, without a shadow of a doubt be online in the next Mario Party. I for one plan to continue doing so (not on here, though). Reviews need to properly reflect that the game is missing an extremely important, modern feature.

How many Mario Party have we got since the DS ?
There will never be because that's not what this series is about. End.