• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I was having fun with just my brother and me yesterday. We agreed it was probably the best MP since the good run of 2, 3 and 4. Only real complaint I'd have is the lack of maps. Need to play it more to see if it stands the test of replayability.

Partner mode is perfect for 2 players. you can play as a team against cpu. it is a lot of fun and the mini-games are great.

Perfect! Sounds like a must get then!

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Me: oh you can hold 4 items? Cool!

*buttonmashes to continue through text*

*drops golden pipe*

*loses game by one star*

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe people were saying Kamek's Tantalizing Tower is the worst board, I finally unlocked it and it's easily my favorite. It's the only board where coins feel like they're a valuable resource since every gimmick is designed to drain you of them, so Coinado and dice with negative coin values are actual threats.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I saw some footage of the online and it looked rough. Is it really that laggy or did someone maybe have a bad connection/bad luck?

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
Wait.... so can you not play the traditional main mode online in any way shape or form?

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Quick question: I heard you have to unlock the option to play for 30 turns. Is that the case with a 50 turn mode or did they not include that?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Played through each of the four maps. This Mario party is fantastic!!!!!!! I also feel their small sizes don't matter. The way everything in this one operates works well. Best Mario party in years.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Also holy shit can they please patch in the option to only use the classic minigame/coin/happening bonus stars or turn them off entirely. It's funny in multiplayer but damn is it annoying in solo when you're about to win fair and square and the game just says "fuck you" and gives the COM a bunch of freebies for playing poorly.

I saw some footage of the online and it looked rough. Is it really that laggy or did someone maybe have a bad connection/bad luck?

Online is super laggy if someone has a bad connection.

Quick question: I heard you have to unlock the option to play for 30 turns. Is that the case with a 50 turn mode or did they not include that?

You can't unlock 30 turn mode, that's just an option that's only available on the final board (which happens to be unlockable).

Virtu Al

Oct 25, 2017
Italy, Rome
I played a couple of matches with brothers and friends today...

Our verdict is that we didn't have so much fun with the series ever since the N64 titles. There was always something happening, ranks kept switching around and the boards are incredibly well-designed, each feeling unique with their own 'gimmicks' but never feeling shoehorned in. There are also several QOL improvements, like practice mode being available from the get go while the game gives you the minigame info, which speeds up things a lot and the item/ally systems bring a lot of good strategic value into the game.

This is probably among the best party game offerings for the system and I'm so darn freaking happy about it.

Honestly I'm not bothered by having so few boards, especially since each of them is so polished, plus I'm pretty sure Nintendo will update this game with new ones in the future. Defenitely one of my best purchases of the year.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Had aMario Party nnight on friday.

Had a lot of fun, but the bomb maps seems unbalanced, you mostly take to routes in circles.
The one on the top to get starts and steal one with lakitu.
The one in the bottom to take stars and buy golden pipes.
In a 20 turn game it felt really repetitive and everyone enden with 3, 5, 5 and 6 stars, the with the bonus someone won 2 stars and won.

Oct 25, 2017
Having a lot more fun with this by myself than I thought I would.

There's a lot more to that island board than I thought. Freaking Yoshi got a big star lead and I've never had to strategize this much figuring out how to catch up.

Small boards work.

With that said, item wise, this game is a little too back to basics.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's lame. In any case, thanks the response.

It's not really lame, this game is just designed differently from the previous ones. More compact boards, more abundant coins, certain character dice that can be abused more than others, allies that can significantly boost your dice rolls, etc. It's obvious once you play it why 50 turn games wouldn't work well.

Does it take one bad connection to ruin it for everyone else?
And can you see their status before playing?

Yes it does take just one bad connection to ruin everyone else's time, and no you can't see their connection status. Thankfully in my experience most laggers have had the decency to drop out after a minigame or two, but yeah, Online Mariothon is a serious letdown when compared to the high quality of the rest of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I think this occurs if you have not played all of the 1v1v1v1 mini-games yet. It seems to prioritize the new mini-games.

Oh, is that so? Maybe it could be that I haven't unlocked all minigames yet cuz I have like, half of mini-games left to unlock.

--------------

So, I was having a blast time with friend at the airport this afternoon (He has to meet his girlfriend at Vancouver so we had our kill time for the game before his flight) and 2 co-ops were so amazing experience it was almost as we were playing old Mario Party in N64-era.

You would have a very, very ton of fun if you cooping with friends in person rather than playing online. Trust me.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
And I lost to the AI Yoshi who got an extra star for being the slowpoke?

Even though it worked out for me, I gotta call BS for bonus ally star. Just the right ally? You literally have no control over that.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
How exactly do you use amiibo in this game? I can't seem to find any menu for scanning amiibo at all. Or does it need to be unlocked?

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Is this worth it if I'll only play online against friends?

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Had a 6 hour blast of Super Mario Party last night. It feels faster and smoother than the old ones, and I really really like how they finally updated the tutorial/practice screen, that you just get right into it immediately. The minigames are so much more consistent this time too, with very few luck-based ones, and plenty of "actually running around" ones, which were always my favorites.

Every mode was honestly a success, which was surprising to me! Sound stage is my favorite I think, though we only played 3-4 rounds of it, so it kept being fresh. Still, I can see myself playing that one again and again to reach +90% on every game. (I'm a huge Rhythm Heaven fan, and this is even better because of the multiplayer.)

The biggest disappointment though, is that there's no pure "minigame competition" mode. Like a simple "first to 5 wins" with random minigames, or the "garden battle" from Mario Party 9, where the winner gets the biggest piece to add to its garden.
In Super Mario Party, there's just the free-for-all, which doesn't count the wins, Mariothon, which only has a few selected minigames, and finally the panel one, which has the minigames end as soon as one player wins, and no rewards for 2nd place. I dislike that.

So that's probably highest on my wishlist for an update: A proper mode to compete in all the minigames with no fluff!

And sure, a few more boards would be welcome too. I don't have any problem with the size of the current ones though, possibly because I've never liked the actual board mode in Mario Party games anyway.

Last edited:

jorgeobamajr

Oct 25, 2017
The bonus stars really feel like they should be announced at the start of the match since they could be random. Adds to replayability too since every match you have new long-term goals to work towards in case the main star hunt isn't going well (watching playthroughs of the old mario parties it just adds to the chaos going for these set side objectives). Or well, have that as an option buried in a menu, if they think that'd go against the intended experience.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how the Overcooked devs feel seeing Nintendo copying them, it used to be that other devs made whole games, usually for mobile, out of mario party or wario ware mini games

Dragnipur

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Played it with a few friends, it was a lot of fun - we did 10 turn rounds which ended up being slightly too short, I think 15-20 would be optimal. The minigames weren't bad (although it feels like there are too many coin minigames, which aren't as fun as regular) and the side modes were entertaining.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Had a blast playing with the fam tonite. I mostly lost, but at least I won the last game in spectacular fashion (through a combination of luck, strategy, and the fact that everyone else underestimated me/wrote me off just because it was the last turn AND I was dead last.)

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Played the rhythm game normal, remix and hard. We all worked up a sweat lmao

This game mode was actually pretty hilarious

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Bowser wasn't playable in this game. I miss the thrill of landing on a Bowser Space.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man this is a fucking great version of Mario Party. Been playin it with friends all weekend and everyone has had an absolute blast.

I actually really dig the pace of this game, which goes along with the board size. SO MUCH SHIT can happen in one turn. And you don't ever get those "filler" turns that would sometimes happen in the old ones where nothing would really happen. There's some real solid levels of actual strategy though too even with that pace.

Moved on to fucking with river survival and it's a whole lot of fun too. Haven't even played partner party yet. This is the most fun I've had with a Mario Party since 2/3.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
They are the same as my pink/green Splatoon 2 controllers. Not reversed. I'm looking at my controller right now and I have green on the left and pink on the right...
Where are you located? In the US we only have the opposite colors of what's in the SMP bundle. Like I just popped over to Amazon, and there are three listings, with green on the left and pink on the right listed as the EUR and Japan import versions and the green on the right and pink on the left as the US version, so that would explain the confusion. If they brought this bundle to the US then we'd be able to have solid pink and green Switches ;__;

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Had seven of us around to play tonight, so we played regular party with 3 pairs and one solo player Three 20 turn sessions were had. During the last it was a constant battle for first between the top 3, whereas poor Bowser kept getting destroyed by RNG and other players.

Player #4 and his partner were constantly being barraged by a series of very unfortunate events and it was hilarious to see unfold as they grew more and more exasperated. By the end we were all in tears laughing.

We laughed, we cried, we yelled, we swore, we cursed our luck and bragged about our victories.

With all of those boxes checked, I cant believe I am saying this, but Mario Party is back. It's easily the most fun I've had with a Mario Party game in a long, long time. Might even be in my top 3. If they end up adding DLC boards I'm gonna buy every goddamn one.

What is here is a real return to form, while also providing it's own unique twists and additions to the classic Mario Party formula. I am completely and utterly ecstatic after playing this game as a lifelong Mario Party fan, and everyone I played with loved it.

After many missed steps, they are finally back on the right track with this series.

Now if we can just get Nintendo to do the same thing with Paper Mario...

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to let everyone know, competitive Mario Party pro rules don't use character specific dice.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Good to hear that it's great fun. Will eventually buy it down the line. And I think Nintendo will update the game with more boards over time because that seems to be what they do nowadays.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I played a couple of rounds yesterday and it was a blast. Some very funny moments, boards seem small, but offer a fair amount of variety in the traversal and events.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Slaparazzi mini-game is GOAT but I wish they could let you see the photos afterwards so it would be easier taking screenshots of them and at a larger size. Some pics are hilarious!